Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peeks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform that is just about everywhere YouTube, podcast, books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and more. Hello Canna, Hello, how are you? I am good, Thank you, and I'm looking forward today's episode because it is a timely episode because when now a few months past the end of the financial year and everyone's hopefully got their tax in hopefully maybe a little optimistically, but for some, for the lucky ones, tax refunds getting a bit of money back, right, for some people it might be a couple of one hundred dollars, maybe a few thousands.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember reading that the average tax refund that Australian and Australian gets is around two to two and a half thousand dollars. But with the gig economy and obviously hex stits and things like that, it's actually now the average is a lot lower. It's around about one and seventy seven dollars fund, so the returns are a lot lower.
Speaker 1: So if we assume then that the average is somewhere between those two, that may be somewhere between one and two thousand dollars. Right, it feels like bonus money, like free money. And I'm just like, just even as I say this one money, that's right, I could just see this that that little twitch in your eyebrow that I enjoy seeing when something really stresses you out. But how do we actually make the most of it if we're thinking of it as bonus money, as free money? Today, we're going to make a list, because we love a good list on this podcast. We are going to come up with five smart ideas to make the most of your tax refund. But first, why do they feel like free money? I'm assuming this is a risky mindset.
Speaker 2: Well, it's psychological. You know, the refund it really does feel like a bonus, particularly if you weren't expecting it and you you know, discover oh look the aty of deposited you know, one thousand dollars or two thousand dollars into my bank account.
Speaker 1: Also, and as you've been paying your tax, the whole way through the year, and that that year has passed. Now you're kind of a few months into the new financial year. It feels like it is kind of ancient history. And then all of a sudden, this money just lobs.
Speaker 2: And because that money is not part of our you know, regular income, you know, it does feel like we haven't physically worked for that money. You know, it feels like, you know, literally you've won some money. It's it's you've manifested it even But the thing is, in reality, it is just our own money. It's just been returned back to us, and we were just overpaid, well we overpaid tax through the financial year, and it's just been given back to us. So we somehow seem to treat it like it's free money, and we're more likely then to go and blow it and spend it impulsively rather than actually think strategically, which is a bit of a trap when you do get as a surprise tax refund that you weren't expecting, because you don't have that if you know that you're going to be getting, say a two thousand dollars tax refund or a five hundred dollars tax refund, you have that time to go, Okay, well when I get that refund yep, I will. I got that gap to actually think, okay, what do I want to do with that money, rather than going, what a great surprise, I'm gonna go shopping?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that? Is that the biggest mistake with tax refunds that you had worn against blowing it just treating it as free money and just going you know what this is?
Speaker 2: It is not free money.
Speaker 1: But if it's if it's outside of your budget. Right, it looks.
Speaker 2: It's smoking mirrors. It looks like it's free money, but it ain't free money. It's your own money just being given back to you. The atas just overtaxed you and says, oh sorry, I gave you the wrong change, back your correct change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but okay, it's your money, therefore go nuts. Right. I taught you, Narli, You've taught me a lot. You have not taught me this, though, No, you have. Let's do our five ideas. Let's start with number one idea, number one smart idea, number one, not just any random idea.
Speaker 2: Michael's smart idea. And this holds the latest iPhone.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, but that was a that's a tool for work.
Speaker 2: Technically, yes, it was an investment.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it is idea number one please can I.
Speaker 2: Would be to top up your emergency money. Okay, So I was actually reading that most Australians, something like one in three Australians kind of come up with two thousand dollars in an emergency, which is very very concerning. So look, even just a couple of hundred dollars put a side into a separate savings account away from your normal everyday spending, can massively reduce some financial anxiety and it actually creates a place to build upon from that point going forwards. So as she was combak where I read that one in three couldn't actually come up with even five hundred dollars in an emergency, not two thousand dollars. That's really really frightening. Yeah, so yes, this is not the most glamorous idea, but it's going to help you sleep a little better at night, and it gives you some breathing room. And you know, if you get hit with some you know, a tough time.
Speaker 1: And especially if you're not expecting this refund necessarily or you are, you're not budgeting for it, so you're not going to miss it necessarily. If you tuck it away straight into emergency money. It's not as though it's like you're having you're wrenching it out of your budget and trying to kind of clear space for it in your budget, and you're cutting all of these other things. You were just reallocating something that has just arrived. So it's probably the best possible time to do it right, to bring it.
Speaker 2: Come back to your idea about it being free money. It's like you go to the coffee shop with a fifty dollar note and you buy coffee, and the coffee say dollars, and you get back.
Speaker 1: Say forty four dollars. Yes, I was helping you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you don't get no. Hang on, you're not helping me. You actually now nest my idea up. You get back forty two dollars, and the barista says, hang on, Michael, stop, I didn't give you the right change back. Here's an extra two dollar coin that I didn't give you previously. Is that free money? No, it's your money, and so therefore you I just killed your idea. Now of free money.
Speaker 1: Nowhere near as fun as it used to be. But I do like this idea of the fact that because you haven't actually been relying on it, or it hasn't been part of your household budget, it hasn't just been floating around that it's probably the ideal time to put it into some of those things that are a little bit more dull because you're not having to sacrifice anything for it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's an opportunity to create a bit more headwind in your financial journey.
Speaker 1: That's idea number one, with including a very confusing amalgry.
Speaker 2: I just came to it, just hit me, and I just had to share it with you. I feel like you're still stuck thinking a tax refund is a winning or a bonus money, and you can it's probably where you how you bought that new iPhone of yours kind.
Speaker 1: Of still feels like a bonus.
Speaker 2: ID Number two, Please all right, pay down high interest debt like so credit cards by now, pay later, personal loans, you know, they are those expenses that really do drain our cash flow. And credit cards can charge like twenty percent sometimes I've seen twenty two percent, even a little bit more. So you've got say two thousand dollars oring on a credit card and you get a tax refund, you know, depending on the refund, you potentially are saving four hunder dolls and interest that you would have had to pay over the year on that on that loan. So the benefit of this is is you're facing your financial demons. You know, you know you need to pay it off. He's an opportunity to help make a dance or to help clean it and wipe it away instantly. That's going obviously going to improve your fine health. You can start afresh and start building savings and building maybe investments and obviously reduce your stress levels and improve your credit store.
Speaker 1: Even is there a risk, right, And I don't mean to be cynical, no, never. If you do that, you're just going to build it straight back up again, because paying it off is one thing, but you need to also have an adjustment in your mindset at the same time, right, because otherwise you will pay it down. Yes, you will not pay the interest then moving forward on that, but unless you actually change your spending habits, you're just going to build it straight back up again. And I've seen this very much firsthand.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, if you don't confront the actual I guess parasite or the problem at hand that's creating this credit card dead of course you're going to be back in it again. This is just an opportunity for you to actually restart. That's why I said, you know, start with a fresh plate or turning over a fresh leaf is probably a better way of saying this. And I really do believe when you're in credit card debt or any type of debt, it's so toxic because it kind of keeps you trapped in that you don't feel good about yourself, so you go and spend more. Yeah, and you know, this is why we see people get deeper and deeper into debt. You know, think, O, well, I'm already in two and a half thousand dollars with a debt, what's another three hundred dollars? You know? And then it's oh, well I'm in eighteen two thousand, eight hundredars with a debt. Well what if it just goes to a flat three thousand? And that's where I see people really get themselves into a hole. So when these opportunities come, you know, you've got to jump on them, and jump on them quickly before temptation comes in and go all right, I don't want to I'd love to go and blow that money and spend it. But the truth and reality is is I need to confront this credit card debt and I need to start working on myself and learn about managing my cash flow better to fix this so I don't have The next tax refund I get goes to me, It goes to my savings, it goes to my investing, it goes to my super or whatever you want it to go to.
Speaker 1: I know that we're veering off into credit cards and things here, but if you were to do that, if you were to pay down, say you have a thousand dollars come in from the ATO and you pay that off your credit card, would you recommend, say, then, reducing your credit limit on your card by that same amount so that it limits your ability to keep doing it or you don't have to do it as a full credit limit change. A lot of providers allow you to put in place a spending cap on that credit card. Is that a smart move?
Speaker 2: Definitely? I think that's a great idea. And I said a lot of people, you know, if you keep getting yourself back into this cycle of pay credit card data, often then find six months out of your back in it all over again. Perhaps it's time that you don't actually have a credit card at all, so, you know, reducing the cap and then eventually canceling it is definitely a great plan. You know. It's the idea of having being on a diet, But then your fridge is full of chocolate and lollies and cheeses and all those delicious but very naughty foods that don't help us achieve our weight loss or fitness goals. So why make life harder? And I don't own a credit card, and I really like not having a credit card. And that's nothing to do with credit card debt, just one most thing not to think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that makes sense, all right. So they are the first two ideas. Let's take a very quick break and come back with the next three on our list of the top five smart ideas for using a tax refund? Can are We are going through five smart ideas for using your tax refund. This is assuming that you have received one. Maybe you are expecting to receive one, and in which case this is just getting in early. So far, we've had top up your emergency money and pay down high interest debt at toxic debt, your credit card or personal loans. Things like that. Smart idea number three.
Speaker 2: What is it invested? My favorite idea?
Speaker 1: Excellent? What are we talking?
Speaker 2: Well, you could look at say a listed investment company, which is my personal favorite investment. Or you could look at an ETF exchange traded fund, or even look at a micro investing account, but obviously don't stay there for too long. Once your account grows and you're ready to fly to spread doings, get out of those micro investing apps. But you know, even you know users to start your financial journey of investing. You know that one thousand dollars could be used to buy your first passable shares and that is the birthplace of your passive income stream, and then you can regularly contribute and build it upon it from there. But you've started, and that's the hardest part done for you through your tax refund. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was reading some research recently that said that basically, and I'm paraphrasing here, that even a lot of high income earners don't start investing because they feel, I haven't got enough money to get going, even though they do actually have it. But it's almost a confidence thing. It is almost just a mindset thing of just kind of getting going, doing some research and just getting started and once you've started, then it's easier to continue going. And maybe this is that that kind of trigger that having that money sitting there, not how allocated to anything else, might just be that that little push that you need.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And like the thousand dollars project that I created, you know, started as just that you literally just hustle one thousand dollars. That first one thousand dollars was the hardest to come up with. But once I went and invested it, it just compounded and just grew, and I became addicted to watching it grow. And now it's worth over three hundred and sixty five thousand dollars. Yeah, and that is literally one thousand dollars at a time.
Speaker 1: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: But it started and that was the hardest part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And of course remember that everything we're talking about here is general in nature.
Speaker 2: You guys are my favorite resident is investment company, right, It.
Speaker 1: Is not personal investment strategic product advice. We don't know your financial circumstances.
Speaker 2: Well, the time frame for your financial goals.
Speaker 1: And this is financial education purposes only, and you should seek professional advice before making decisions. I got very formal.
Speaker 2: There in the middle of it that was my fault.
Speaker 1: Number four, So that was investing number four or idea number four. Is this a smart one or a fun one or somewhere in between.
Speaker 2: It's sexy, it's super okay, So.
Speaker 1: It's neither okay. It is definitely smart, it's not necessarily fun. I wouldn't describe it necessarily as sexy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's your personal choice. It is. You could use that money as a one off personal contribution. Now you've got to be careful with this because if you have limits in place that you have come close to, and these limits are per financial year, not per calendar yet, you just could just double check. But there's also a way of potentially not doubling your money, but getting a much better return on your money, and that is by looking at the government's co contribution scheme. So if you're earning it's forty seven thousand or four hundred and eighty eight actually or less, you can and it obviously tapers off and I think it stops it around about sixty two thousand if I remember correctly. But you can put up to one thousand dollars into your superannuation and the government will put up to five hundred dollars. So it's like an instant return, guaranteed return.
Speaker 1: That is free money.
Speaker 2: That is free money, and that is super sexy.
Speaker 1: Actually that is quite quite erotic.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I feel about erotic, but I know I use the word sexy, but six seems a bit more PG than erotic. But you know, super innuation is one of the most tax effective long term asset building vehicles that is available to all Australians, well most Australians, and really can make a huge impact in improving people's the quality of people's retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, great opportunity to do it when you suddenly have this extra money as you weren't necessarily expecting, go for it.
Speaker 2: And also it's away from temptation because you once that money's in, you can't get it back out, which I think is a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you on that, ok. Idea number five we are moving right away from the sexiness of superannuation into.
Speaker 2: Spending it on self care or something that improves your future.
Speaker 1: So you know, I was not expecting this from you.
Speaker 2: I thank you. I do like to surprise education, upskilling or even you know, a side hustle idea that you've been wanting to work on. Now use that money to buy that equipment, or use that course of that software program. You know, self help course is a great one. I recently did one and I absolutely loved it. So these are things that you can invest your money in. They're going to hopefully have I guess you could say a multiplier effect on your income or your potential income. So that's quite exciting, and you know, I think this is really important to ask yourself, like, what can I use this refund to help create more income or help build my knowledge or my experience or my opportunities to improve my finances end?
Speaker 1: Oh oh boy? What this No. I'm just thinking that if you are doing something that is a side hustle or that is helping you to actually make money, and you're investing in something that is potentially going to help make you money, there is a chance that, with advice from your accountant, that that spending might in fact be tax deductible as well, in which case then your tax refund spending becomes tax deductible in the following year.
Speaker 2: That's really really good point I missed that? Have I missed that?
Speaker 1: You know what? There is a moment in one's life where the student becomes the teacher. Oh my god, and I think we've just we just crossed that threshold.
Speaker 2: I'll let you think that.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. Okay, So there are five ideas. Can you use it for fun? What can we just.
Speaker 2: Can I mean, god, I'm not the fun police.
Speaker 1: Yes you are, but can we just get a little bit of it? Like if you're just say is? Because again I don't want to be kind of silly with it, but it does make sense right to just go a little bit at ten percent or something. Whatever I'm going to spend that, I can actually have a bit of fun with that, and the rest I'm going to be smart with because otherwise you run the risk of coming very boring, and the money side of it can become a chore.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Look, it is about balance. So you might say, okay, and this is why I think it's really important not to react when you see that in an impulsive manner. When you see that money, sit down, deep breath. This is exciting. Yes, this is something you didn't expect. Yes it's bigger than you thought even but go, okay, how do I do this? Enjoy some money today and spend it and feel good about myself, but then also feel proud of making an intelligent decision that's going to benefit me for many, many years to come. Don't forget like there are going to be other tax refunds, hopefully in the future. But you know, yes, so you know it might be something like a holiday. It might be you know, a new wardrobe, or it might be a new piece of equipment, or it might be a weekend away, or it might be a massage. Yes, like you do need to have that sense of fund to help keep you motivated. As you say, like it makes you very dull and boring, and I amazingly do agree with that. So the question I like to ask myself is would I buy this if it was coming out of my normal after tax money or not. And that doesn't mean yes or no to proceed ahead. It means just just have that awareness that you are spending mindfully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense. Just very quickly, you mentioned a couple of times we're talking about investing, We were talking about adding to your superannuation. If you had a couple of thousand dollars right that you've received for your tax refund, just what impact could that make long term?
Speaker 2: Well, if you took say two thousand dollars, and you went in invested it in to say an ETF, and you looked at a return, a net return of say seven percent per annum over a period of ten years, set and forgetting that just reinvest you have about just over twenty seven and a half thousand dollars over ten years.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: So that's sorry. And I should say that's two thousand dollars each year for.
Speaker 1: Chan year if you keep on dolls. I assumed that you were doing the same thing each year with the same tax return.
Speaker 2: So that one refund and you can go and blow all your other income if you want, But that one refund of say two thousand dollars each year is turning into a significant amount of money, you know, and you can eventually use that money to help prepare for retirement, help pay for home loan, you know, help pay for a holiday. And this is why I was talking about the consistency and the compounding growth over the long run.
Speaker 1: Okay, if someone is listening to us right now, with a tax refund burning a hole in their pocket, what is the one thing that they can go and do or should do? Single first step they should take Sorry, I get very pointy, I wave my pen around, I get very gestural.
Speaker 2: Pause, do nothing, don't let emotions take over. You want to be clear headed. You wanted to be methodical, rational, and you want to make sure that you have no regrets. I remember talking to someone who got a really big tax refund and they went out and bought a car, and they said to me, the moment I drove out of the car yard, I instantly felt like it embarrassed and regretted what I'd done. And it was too late because I'd already driven there in the car. So yeah, and they had to sit with that for that decision for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Wow. All right, those five ideas they were top up your emergency money, pay down high interests debt, get started investing, add to your super And then the one I found really interesting was that that kind of self care education, upskilling or getting started in a side hustle, because those are all basically investments in your own future, which is terrific. Now, if anybody wants more information from you, where do they?
Speaker 2: Sexy superinuation, It does feel like you are targeting a very niche audience with that.
Speaker 1: There might be a following for it. They go to your Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yes, at Sugar Mama TV or at Canna Campbell Official.
Speaker 1: Excellent and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how Do They Afford That? And remember to follow on the podcast. Tell somebody else about the podcast, Betty Yet, send them a link to this very episode and spread the word about how do they Afford that? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week