Speaker 1: Before we jump into this episode, I want to let you know about something new I've created just for you now. I've been interviewing health and wellbeing experts for more than a decade and one question I get asked all the time is what brands do you actually use and trust? So I decided to make it easy. I've created and curated a well being marketplace featuring products from brands I genuinely love and have discovered through the years of conversations with leading experts. Think of it as your shortcut to better choices without having to do all the research yourself. Head to maritzabarone dot com forward slash loves to explore my favorite brands and enjoy exclusive discounts along the way. Just for you, Let's live better together.
Speaker 2: Our culture doesn't acknowledge how difficult we all relationships are, but that's not what we're taught. We're taught that a great relationship is all harmony. A great sex life is what you had the first weeks of Europe. A great body is what a seventeen year old you are talking to the man who coined the phrase normal marital hatred. No one has ever asked me what I mean.
Speaker 1: By that Welcome to the Things you Can't Unhear podcast. I'm your host Maritza Barone. Get ready to hear moments that will help you to see the world differently and inspire you to become the happiest, healthiest, and kindest version of you. We don't usually think relationships fall apart because of one big moment. More often, it's a slow drift, small disconnections that build over time, the conversations we stop having, the resentment we don't address, and the misunderstandings we move past without really repairing. Whether you're dating, in a long term partnership, or married, or somewhere in between, most people don't sit out to lose closeness, which just happens quietly. Where life gets busy, stress builds, a communication starts to break down. So what actually causes that shift from connection to distance and why does so many of us struggle to repair it once it starts. Today's guest is one of the most influential voices.
Speaker 3: In modern relationship therapy.
Speaker 4: Perry Reel is a best selling author, family therapist, and the creator of Relational life Therapy, a groundbreaking approach that has helped thousands of couples move from conflict and disconnection back into real, accountable, emotionally honest connection. Known for being direct, insightful, and deeply human in his work, Terry has spent decades sitting with couples on the edge of breakdown and showing them what it actually takes to repair love and not just talk about it. He is here today to unpack my relationships, fall the art, and what it really takes to build ones at last, Terry Real, Welcome to the Things you Can On Here podcast.
Speaker 3: It's so nice to have you.
Speaker 2: Thank you from the other side of the world. It's great to be in conversation with you.
Speaker 3: I just mentioned to you I woke up very early for this interview.
Speaker 1: And went outside and looked at the sky, and I thought about how opposite sides of the world's were in and about to have this amazing conversation to share with everyone out there today. It is quite fascinating still that we can connect in this way from opposite sides of the globe.
Speaker 3: Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is now. I mentioned to you.
Speaker 1: That podcast obviously, it's called Things you Can't Unhear, and I want to start with that today. Actually, Terry, I want you to share with me the things you can't un here moment that really change the way you saw things.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about traditional mansualinity with one of my clients, about the cost of denying argument vulnerabilities and pretending to be a tough guy all the time, and he said, well, you want to know how this gets passed along, let me tell you about the transmission of patriarchy. He said. I was at one of my kids hockey games, nine ten year old and on the other team, one of the coaches was a father one of the kids. This father slash coach was screaming at his son about what a screw up he was just excreating and shaming in front of an audience full of parents watching the game, screaming at him. And finally the kid had had it and he started to cry. And then the father started screaming at him for crying. And the kid left the field and he went up to the stands in all of his gear and pulled off his booth, went up to stand and sat next to his mother front of everybody, hundreds of people, and his mother leaned in and went to put an arm around him, and he punched her in the face. Welcome to the transmission to patriarchy. That is a story I could never own here and.
Speaker 1: I can absolutely see why. God, this is so much in that, isn't there? We really do pass on a lot of what we're given. And I know your work does You've been doing this for decades. Like you said, you're working with couples. You're really helping them to heal their relationships or learn how to have the tools to hear their relationships. And that is one of the key aspects, isn't It is looking at your past and looking how you've been taught how to love and how to show up. And when we jump into that, we can really become our own person, can't We We can break down what we've been given and say no, that doesn't work for me, that doesn't work for my relationship. I'm going to choose differently. I'm going to act differently. Can you talk to me about how you help people break that past down so that they're their person they want to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I have a million of sayings, and one of them is we all marry our unfinished business. We all married the next step in our own development. If we're lucky, you know when we are you in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Maye, I am, I've been married for almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: Oh well that's great, congratulations, thank you, pauling in love. Whether we're too sophisticated a say or not, Hey, this person's going to complete me. This person's going to give me everything that those creeps I grew up with did, or at the very least, I'm going to avoid whatever pain I had in my childhood. Today of your real marriage comes when you realize the person you picked not only will not heal you complete, you avoided. The version you picked is I like to say, exquisitely designed to stick the spear right into your eyeball. It's like, wait a minute. I hired you so you wouldn't abandon me like my mom did. I hired you so you were trustworthy, not like my And here you go, and I'm looking at our bank account and here you go, and like, whatever it is I thought you would never do, guess what you just did? And now what? It doesn't mean you're in a bad relationship. It means you're in a real relationship. Their imperfections collide with yours, and it is difficult. Our culture doesn't acknowledge how difficult real relationships are, but real relationships. I got this from Ed Tronic, an infant observational researcher. Real He looked at mothers and and he was one of the first of a generation to stick a camera in front of mothers and then fathers and infants. But before that, all of us therapists extrapolated from listening to adults. Now, now let's actually look at what happens. And what chinal I found is a rhythm of what he calls harmony, disharmony, and repair, closeness, disruption, a return. You look at a mother and you know, first there's this it's golden, and then there's gas or hunger or annoy and then the baby freaks out. Mother tries to sue, doesn't work. Then the mother freaks out. Now they're both freaked out, and then the nipples accepted, the gas passes, and we're back to ed. Had you go to YouTube and see this rhythm. Forty seconds is the length of the tape. Harmony, disharmony, repair, and I say all relationships, so does Ed. Now, all relationships are That is the rhythm of relationships. But that's not what we're taught. We're taught a great relationship is all harmony. A great sex life is what you had the first weeks of your A great body is what a seventeen year old had. And in the researchers are really clearer. Childhood trust is not built from no stress, no danger, all harmony. Childhood trust is built from surviving the mess of harmony disruption. And you know, peek a boo is our first game. I'm here, I'm not here, I'm here again. Harmony disharmony. Okay, you are talking to the man who coined the phrase normal marital hatred. And I've been talking about this for forty years around the world. No one has ever asked me what I mean by that, So I don't know how it is for you. But what you are not taught is that disharmony phase is dark.
Speaker 3: It's horror, it's true, Terry.
Speaker 1: I think you know we can sit in that disharmony for a long time. I think with my relationship and in my marriage, we've been together a very long time, but we've grown together, but sometimes it's taken a while to catch up in between. And there's been times where disharmony lasted longer than I would have wanted to so I think what we've learned over time is that we've closed the gap a little bit in that time frame where disharmony sits.
Speaker 3: What's the key there?
Speaker 2: Do you think there are two reasons why we don't go back to harmony. First of all, our culture doesn't equip us to do it. In fact, we feel ashamed we're in disharmony to begin with, because I call this relational shame. It's just like individuals. You go to a party and you're advanced that the couples to the left and the right of you are fighting less and having better sex than you are. But which you don't know is they're anything about you. We all long for the divice, We all long for gods and goddesses that will complete us and understand us always. But it's the clash of your actual imperfection and mind and how we manage that. That's the guts of what a real relationship is. That's why AI girlfriends will never really replace.
Speaker 3: Thank Goodness for that.
Speaker 2: Well, they're too gratifying. My friend Carol Gilligan, you're pretty young. You may not know her, but great a woman's psychology pioneer. She taught me this and everybody knows King James, God made Eve out of Adam's rib to comfort him, right, But the actual Aramaic and I was in Jerusalem with a bunch of black hat you know, Israeli rabbis, and they all knew that as they were connected, they all knew the phrase. The actual Aramaic says God made Eve out of Adams with to comfort him by opposing him. That they leave out. There's this creative tension that comes from the confrontation of my dealing with your imperfection and you're dealing with mine, and how he managed that. Digest it, work on it, make it better. Our culture doesn't teach us any of these skills. So moving from disharmony into repairer where all the skills come in. How to speak up but be loving and not harsh, how to listen and not be defensive. A lot of technique which no one teachoes you. I do, not the culture. So the first order of business is we don't know what to do. We don't know how to do it. You know, I'm in disharmony. I'm going to regurgitate all of my bad feelings all over you. Well, no, I'm in disharmony. I'm going to get back at you. I'm in disharmony. I'm going to prove to you that I'm right. You're wrong, losing strategy. Now you're in disharmony in your heart. Figure out what you want from your partner and then act in a way that actually gives you a chance of getting it from them. So how about instead of criticizing and complaining them, you compliment them for what they're doing right and say, even better would be dot dot dot as a favor of me. Might you work on that with humility, subjectivity and starting off with a positive appreciation. Who does that? No one unless they're trained, and you have to be trained. But there are sophisticated ways of handling yourself in a relationship that work better. None of us would get on stage and play piano without a teacher, or put on skis without a lesson. Well, guess what, there's a relational technology that works better than what this culture teaches and what your mama and dad taught you. But it's you have to learn it.
Speaker 3: It's an art.
Speaker 2: It is. So one thing is we don't know what to do. We literally don't know what to do. We have to be talkt But the other thing is when you're in disharmony, you get triggered. So what this particular disarmy looks like with this particular partner because you picked him, is your unfinished business. I was raised by an angry dad, like a lot of men. My wife, Linda, was raised in an angry family. So we brought fighters. But Linda comes at me with criticism and anger. We're in disharmony. I'm not a seventy five year old man talking to his wife of forty years. I'm a five year old talking to my goddamn it, towering six foot three angry father is going to hit me, and I've got my do I'm ready to protect myself. So what happens is it flooded. Automatic parts of us take over that wouldn't use these skills even if we had them, because whise adult cell prefund cortex is offline, and survival subcortical, primitive parts of the brain take over fight flight or fawn. We've added fawn. Now, O lion, don't eat me, let me look your paws. I'll groom you. As an adult faun becomes fixed or enabling codependence, anxious attachment, fight, flight, or fawn. These are your automatic, knee jerk responses. We call it your adaptive child. It's the part of it that adapted to whatever you had back then. I think it's an adult. The world truths our adapted children, like it's an adult. Our partners don't, our kids don't. So I deal with highly successful people who live out of their adaptive child. They're fighters, fleers, or fixers. The world makes them very successful, and they're very unhappy inside their skin, and they're miserable to live with. How do we get out of it? I teach people to quiet those reactions automatic, overwhelming, Take a break, take a breath, and reach for that wise part of you. Wait a minute, I call it remembering love. Wait a minute. I'm not five, but it is not my towering father. I'm not going to get hit. I don't have to yell and scream. Let me take a breath, try something different. We call this relational mindfulness. First the automatic, and then a break. Literally, take a walk around the block. Take a break. Count to ten, go for a walk. Put that little five year old on your lap and talk to him. But we don't go back into the relationship until you're remembering, well, but it is not the enemy. She's my pal and I don't have to beat her into the ground. I can diffuse her anger with more sophisticated tools like listening to her. My adapter or child is going to fight her. Who do you think you are talking to me like my wise adult? Okay, honey, I'm sorry you're angry. Don't tell me what's going on? Which are those two doors that's going to get me where I want to go? So we have to learn and then have support and play different cards than the default that we were given as kid.
Speaker 1: It's really the key of so many relationships is just carving ourselves, not saying what we say in the heated moment, stepping back, regulating our emotions, and then speaking. You know, I was around a table yesterday with a group of adults and talking about this upcoming interview actually, and we all had our take on relationships. Most of us were in long term relationships around the table, and someone made it a comment, and it was it was obviously a joke, but he said, I think we should all break up. Everyone should just break us because it's too hard. But I think, you know, it was funny. We all loved and because we know how hard relationships can be. But you know, I love looking back and self regulating and knowing all these things, but also owning where you are wrong too, and seeing you know what where am I? Yeah, that's that Part's my bad. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I did that without the butt, without the pot.
Speaker 2: It's so hard for people. I have a whole YouTube ten minutes on how to give a good ology, which yeah, I did it, but I did it, but you have to understand that I did it, but you no, No, I did it, land on it. I did it. Sorry, I'll bet that hurt. Do you want to tell me about it? Then? Is there something I can say do to help you feel better? But after they've been heard?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Instead of very hard for us to do?
Speaker 3: It is true?
Speaker 1: Now you talk about that fieriness in relationships, and I know you talk.
Speaker 3: About hot couples, cold couples, and mixed couples. Can you explain that to us?
Speaker 1: Because I find this fascinating When you can really identify what your dynamic is in your partnership, it's.
Speaker 2: Really a boundary issue. Hot couples tend to have poor boundaries. They're thin skinned they're very reactive, and they don't contain themselves very well. They're easily upset, and if they're upset, boom they are. And if you're with a partner who is also hot, there's a lot of opera going on in your relationship. Cold couples are the opposite. They don't have two porous too thin skinned. They're walled off. If they live in armor, you don't get in and not much gets out, and they need to open up more. Lets yourself be hurt, You won't die, Share what you're thinking and feeling. Your partner won't die. And of course, when you get these two together, you get your classic heteronormative pair. The more she angrily pursues, the more he coldly withdrawals, and the more he withdraws, the more she pursues. We look at these patterns of the more, the more, the vicious circle, and it's like, okay, how about one of you changing your dance step here? What are you by the way? Can I ask you can pass but fight flight or fix?
Speaker 1: I feel like I've come down from hot and I'm sitting in between like I bound balance.
Speaker 3: I would say I would say I found balance.
Speaker 2: In recovery most of the time. Yeah, but let's just hypothetically say that one day a year when you might lose your shit. But do you tend to be walled off and distant or boundary less and no boundaryless?
Speaker 3: Definitely not walled off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boundary you'd angrily complain, but you learn better. You're not doing that so much. Yeah, that's the way many of us. Well, when I talk about changing the cards in your hand because the cards you were dealt don't work very well, that's a good example. You know, many of us, particularly women, try and get more of what we want in our relationships by complaining about what's not going right. That's a terrible behavioral. You wouldn't do that with a kid. You wouldn't do that with a dog. You don't try and train a dog by only punishing it when it does things wrong. You have to teach it what right looks like and rewarded. Hello. But we don't do that with ourselves. We don't say in advance, this is what I would like from you as a favor to me, would you be willing to do that for me? We are spontaneous, so we hang out, let our partner fail, and then share and therapists encourage us share with them our negative feelings about what they just did to us, and then we expect them to do differently next time. Good luck with that. So do you want a method for getting more of what you want your relationship?
Speaker 3: Let's do that. He's the practical people.
Speaker 2: Three steps. One, dare to rock the boat. This is what from the eye, this is what you should be doing. You're not God's gifts, you're not the expert. This is what I want. This always subjective. You don't need the objective. This is what's important to me. It's really important. Please listen, don't disregard this. It's important. That's daring to rock the boat. Once we have their attention and they're trying drop the sword and cheel, people don't get that. They keep selling past the sale. I would like you to do more of this, okay, well, because it's terrible when you don't do it. You know you didn't do it. I already said i'd do it. On like, don't take the yes. Don't use d s as an occasion for a teachable moment. Just takes the yes. Good now. Two, let me show you what I would like to see more of. Don't ask them, teach them. If they're willing, let me show you. And this is particularly important for women. I have a saying, you can't be angry about not getting what you never asked for. But as part of the traditional female role, my prints try if if I have to fight for it, if I have to ask for it, if I have to teach him to do it, and it's that, that's no good. My Prince Charming should just know, well, good luck with that. I like to say, girls, Cinderella's dead, Prince Charming probably just came out of rehab, and if you want it, you're gonna have to roll up the sleeves and fight for it. So once they're listening to you and they want to please you, teach them what you want. Don't expect them to know. I like to say, more assertion of front less resentment on the back end. So here's a simple example. John Gray, bless his heart, made millions of dollars with one goddamn point. I'm not jealous or anything. Men tend to do problem solving listening, and women wanted empathy. Thank you, John, Mike, couldn't I have said that? It's true? So I wrote a piece for all magazine about this. There's three listeners. There's a problem solver. Have you tried this? What about that? This is a teachable moment. Well, I have this issue with you too. That's all teaching and problem solving. There's empathy. Oh that sounds awful. Tell me more about that. What's that like for you? And then they're sharing. Women do a lot of sharing. I'm usual a lot of show Oh your knee, my knee, your adolescent, my adolescent, drive me crazy. There's nothing wrong with any of those responses. Oh that sounds terrible. It empathy. Have you thought about doing this problem solving? Oh? Yeah, I've had that problem too sharing. What's wrong is that people don't negotiate what kind of listener they want, and so they just put it out and then the other person responds, and then they're disappointed, and then they try and correct the other person's response. The other person feels unappreciated, And let's do empathy, because almost everybody wants empathy at least first. What was your husband's name?
Speaker 3: His name is Charlie.
Speaker 2: Charlie, Charlie. I just had a fight with one of my girlfriends and I feel like shit. I really want to bet about it. Can you give me ten minutes of empathic listening? Don't solve my problem, don't make helpful suggestions, don't tell me about what happened to you. Just be there for me like a girlfriend maybe said that sounds awful, tell me about it? Could you do that for ten minutes? By the way, that ten minute limit is great for guys. Guys think we have to talk. Means we're going to be up till four in the morning. So great, and he does. Yeah, no, there was only a few helpful suggestions, and he's not perfect, but he tries. I tell people, celebrate the last fifteen percent full It was only five percent pool before. But how many of us do that? When our partner tries to give us what we want, we're almost always critical. Half ass job, you're doing it now, but you don't really mean it. You're going to start crazy. Be encouraging, not discouraging. You did a half ass job. Good for you. What are we going to do to get the other cheek up there? It helped them out, and then the third phase is reward them. Fifteen is a lot better than five percent last week. I'm really pleased with you. Let's keep going. The same way you would with a kid, but we don't do it with adults.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting actually asking up front. Half the time we don't know what we want, but it's interesting. Do you think we're asking too much of our relationships? Do you think we need too much from one person? Do you think we can spread our wings sometimes say I know I'm getting this from my partner and my husband, but I'm getting these different conversations with my girlfriends, or I'm getting these different conversations or interrupt actions with my children.
Speaker 3: So we can.
Speaker 1: Spread what we need more widely than just direct it to one person. Do you think that would be helpful?
Speaker 2: Yes, we are asking too much of our relationships and got to really ask yourself, is this okay with me? Belinda, who's a great couples of family therapists in her own right. Ever since I don't want to talk about it came out in the nineties, if you've had a ton of hearing about the great Terry Reel and Terry's great ideas and how Terry changed my life and blah blah, her idea A fascinating dinner conversation does not include an in depth conversation of my work and my thinking forty two years as enough. But I could go out with somebody else and have an in depth conversation about my work and theirs and what we're all thinking. I don't need blind in my heart of hearts. Would my perfect wife do that as she would? This is what I mean when I say we're with imperfect human beings, and a lot of us walk around being resentful victims. So I believe in a serenity prayer. If it was really important to me, I would say to Belinda, I need you to show more interest in my work. I'm feeling lonely. How can we deal with that? Or I can let go and I get so many other wonderful things from her. She shared my work for twenty years. Enough already. It's a personal decision. I getting enough in this relationship to make grieving what I'm not getting okay with me. And if the answer is yeah, then get off your high horse and don't walk around like a big angry victim and embrace what you are getting. If the answer is no, you know, no, we haven't air section, I keep getting yelled at, no, We're too distant, and roll up your sleeves and get in the ring and duke it out about one or the other. Either address it or accept it, but don't walk around letting it. Yeah, yeah, being resentful. And if you can't get through to your partner and then get some couple's therapy. I like ROLT relational life therapy when I've created, because will help you get through to your partner. Whereas most couple therapists are taught to throw you under the bus. Listen to her. She's right, you're wrong. You need to listen to her. Not too many therapists will do that, but ROALT therapists will. So get an ally who will help you get through your partner. But if you're going to let go, let go, if you're really walking around in a state of resentment, admit that to yourself and do something about it. It's poison.
Speaker 1: It brings up that conversation around you know when to stay and when to go, when to know the relationship has expired, and when it's not right for you, and when it's salvageable and you want to stay.
Speaker 3: How do you make that decision?
Speaker 2: Am I fighting for what I want? And am I doing it skillfully? A lot of times people don't get through to each other because when they try, they just don't have the skills. For example, here's a simple skill, tanding up for yourself with love. This is like one of half a dozen skills we teach people in our culture. When you finally do stand up for yourself, nine out of ten people do it with harshness. I'm really pissed off about blah blah blah blah blah blah. Yeah, well how about this. I really love you, honey. There's so much about us that's so great. There's this one thing. You scratch me here. It's not really it. Could you try scratching me here instead? It would work better. Would you be willing to do that for me, sweetheart? Two different ways of saying the same thing. But we don't underpatriarchy understand that we can be powerful and loving at the same time. We think that when we step into power we have to be individualistic. Now, I love you. You're a great guy. I know you want to please me. This and this works this one look at a favor to me. Could you try doing it differently? Who sounds like that? No one unless they've been trained. God damn it. I don't like it. Just better stop. That's the way we sound well, they're more sophisticated ways of getting through. So the first order of business is, if you're not getting through, you go off and take a couple of I've got all sorts of online courses, learn about how you might try to get through to your partner in more sophisticated ways that work better. If that doesn't work, drag his butt into a couple's therapists and one you've vetted one that will be a true ally. She's right, you're not listening. You really do want to listen to her. Let me help you, not a neutral therapist. Oh yeah, well she's right, but you're right. But she's right, but you're right. But you don't want that because somebody's going to take your And then if you've tried every which way for Sunday to get through, if you drag them to a good therapist who's tried to get through and it ain't happening, then you do what I call a relational reckoning. I'm not going to get this. How do I sit with that? Am I getting enough other things that not getting this is okay with me? Hurts? But look at all the wonderful things I do get. In which case let go of your resentment and embrace what you're getting and be happy. No, it's really not okay, and then it's time for an ultimatum. This and this change it, or we're done, and you may be done. In RILT relational life therapy what I've created, we don't see successful therapy as saving every couple. We see successful therapy as helping you get out of your misery. If you get out by transforming your relationship and it's less miserable, that's our preference, particularly the kids. But if you can, if anyone to go, you get out. I don't want people living miserable life.
Speaker 3: So true.
Speaker 1: There's something I heard you say that I found fascinating and I've written it here, and it's more in regards to people having external relationships or cheating on their partner. And what I heard you say was every time you say no to something, every time you say no to someone potentially flirting with you or approaching you, or giving you an opportunity to do the wrong thing, you compromise your integrity and you're saying yes to the life that you want by saying no.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got this from a beloved friend and Carlie Carrol Gllagan. I was ninety now, Carol, and still flaying around the word. Carol wrote a book called The Birth of Pleasure, and we've been having in depth conversations for decades now. And Carol believes that pleasure is a marker for intimacy, that intimacy is intrinsically pleasurable, and that's what we humans are born for. So she literally takes the quite radical position that minute to minute, every decision you make should be governed by pleasure. Every minute of every decision.
Speaker 3: Not realistic.
Speaker 2: I'm on the road giving a lecture, Blenda, the kids are home, and some gorgeous twenty something you know comes in and is standing way too close, tells me that she loves me, and she's in room such and such and here's the key, and I'll see you later. And I choose to not go. I'm not being ruled by pleasure. Pleasure would be to go. And she said, no, you are being ruled by pleasure. You are foregoing a superficial for the deeper pleasure of preserving your family, your marriage, your kids, your integrity means more to you than a lovely name of sex with a stranger. You just choose the deeper pleasure over the more superficial pleasure, but you're still choosing pleasure.
Speaker 1: I love that so much, and that's why it landed with me so much, because you see couples who make the wrong decisions in the heat of the moment without it's again that walking away, that self emotional regulations, that pause between action is what I think a lot of us need to take when it comes to any relationship or any reaction to what we do. You've brought up intimacy, and intimacy, I think is a big thing and something that we all crave in relationships. And I heard someone say once that intimacy is into me see And I found that fascinating because I feel as though, yes, intimacy's pleasure and sex and all of those wonderful things, but it's also being seen in a way that you wish to be seen by your partner or the person.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that.
Speaker 2: Bes I mean, intimacy is resonance. There's a great spiritual teacher, Thomas Ubel German lives in Tel Aviv, and he defines intimacy as I feel you feeling me. I've landed and I can feel it. It's resonance. It's a two men. You find some people who are all neck up, they're all intellectual, and you don't feel them feeling you because they don't feel much of anything. They're just we were talking about being too open, too poorous. I don't feel like you're feeling me. You're off to the races with whatever's coming up in you. I'm not even here. Or I don't feel you feeling me because you're rolled off in your hearts behind armor and you don't let yourself feel much of anything. So this intimacy thing is delicate. I'm on your side. I have to teach people point of view. Start off with your partner's point of view. You know, good old Belinda, she's like a guy. I'm like the chick and she's like the guy. So I would say I had a fight with so and so, and Belinda would go, well, I could see why they're mad at you about that. I ain't get mad at you about the same thing, actually, And I'm going like, no, Blinda, don't be on the inside beyond my big bit. And I teach your point of start off with the point of view of the person you love. Start there, then maybe you can ask if they're interested in any other insight you have. But we just don't teach our kids. I would like relationship skills taught in elementary school and junior high and high in college. We are not a relationship cherishing culture. We give lip service to it, but we don't really value it, and we don't teach our sons, daughters, non binary kids. The base is how you have a fight. This how you make prepair. This is how you apologize to somebody. Don't yes about them, you just say yes, I did it, I'm sorry. This is how you handle shame. You're a good person who behave badly. You feel bad about the behavior, but you can still hold yourself in warm regard. We have to teach people all this stuff. We don't know how to do it in this culture, but we do. But the problem is once you're flooded, once you're not. If I may, you can pass it.
Speaker 3: How old are you forty six?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well you look great? Okay? So thanks? Do you say? Your husbands name is John, his name is Charlie.
Speaker 1: We've been together since I was seventeen, so we've been together a very long time and married for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, so you know you're in a state of disharmony with Charlie. He does something and you lose that forty ish year old you and you're a three year old little girl, and it depends on what happened to you, you know, fight, flight or fix. It's major and it's visceral and it's automatic, and it feels like this is what I got to shut this down. I got to stand up for myself and bopla guy, or I got to help him feel better. I can't feel good unless he feels good. That's what you learned as a kid, and we bring those adaptations into our long term relationships. They're not mature, they're not skilled. They're about survival. So the first skill is taking a break, taking a walk. I have one pager on my website, Terryreeel dot com on how to take a time out, take a formal time out. Don't go back into your relationship until you're centered and you remember, oh, yeah, this guy's not the enemy who's out to screw me. He's my Charlie. He's pain in the ass, but I love him. Let's see what I can do here. Okay, good, now you're ready to go back. So The first order of business is centering. We teach workshops all over the world, and my favorite slide is other workshops teach you skills. We deal with the part of you that won't you with them first. Get out of that knee jerk. Automatic response at that point of view, doesn't want any skills. They just want to do what you do, fight flight effects, Take a breath, Okay, I'm here, what's needed. One of my half a dozen skills I've learned is the one I'm going to bring to the table today. That's how you get out of it. But that's why of healing and thought.
Speaker 3: That's true. There's the chemistry thing.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of us feel as though in relationships the chemistry burns out and it's you know, the first couple of years is amazing and you're feeling excited by each other, and then all of a sudden, the chemistry fizzles.
Speaker 3: And I heard recently on a J.
Speaker 1: Shaddy podcast something quite fascinating around when the chemistry ends, it feels like boredom. But I think we confuse boredom with what safety actually feels like. And I loved that too, because I think safety some that we all wish to feel in relationships, but when the chemistry ends, we're like, oh, maybe this is a little poring, Maybe this isn't for me, and it's not natural to feel that chemistry for twenty thirty forty years, is it. We're built to feel chemistry in that initial spark of a way when we first meet, but the chemistry can be defined in different ways, in different perceptions as we go through a long term relationship.
Speaker 2: What you're calling gimming of the chemistry. I always say, you and your partner are getting too safe, and my power is there. Parrell and I both take this on, but we kind of go in two different directions. Estere goes, you're too brotherly ancestrally, so you need less sort of fusion and more differentiation. You know, do a role play, you get dressed up like we ludicrously sexy and have your husband pick you up like you're a stranger in a bar. Or you know, get a new sex toy. Let's get some spark here. So more dangerous in a sense of more mystery. Here's what I want your relationship to be more dangerous because I want you to take each other on. Maybe you need more conflict, Maybe you need more guts, I believe. Look, I wrote a whole thing an audiobook I called Fierce Intimacy, and I believe that if you want a passionate relationship, you literally have to be willing to risk it, and not just once or twice, but ongoing. You have to be a force that needs to be reckoned with. If you're not a force that needs to be wreckoned with, you're not sexy. If you are a force that needs to be reckoned with, then there's some danger. But I think healthy relationships are not all that safe. I actually hate we kind of fetishize safety these days because of all the revolution and trauma work and how injured we all are. Oh, we want to be safe? Really, why let me tell you something we're mortals say about relating. Either you wind up in a car crash together, or one of you leaves the other forever. What's so safe about that? So I talk about reasonable safety. If you really want to be safe, don't get out of bed in the morning. The issue isn't are you safe? The issue is is it worth it? Is it worth the risk? And you know, for some people the risk is putting on a mini dress and pretending to be a hooker in a bar. That's kind of exciting for other people. The danger is leaning in to Ternie and go, you know, we've been together for thirty years. I hate the way you scratch your nose in public. I've never told to this, but embarrass the the all out of me. Wow, okay, oh, I feel closer to you. Let's have a sec. One of the things I say is that when people stop taking each other on, the first casualty is passion, and most of us stop taking each other on because when we lean in and try, we don't have the skills to make it. It doesn't work, and so we back off and we tell ourselves we're accepting, but really we're settling, and that resentment just starts to eat away generosity, surrender, passion, danger. So us there would say, well, they've said to mush for each other, shut up and be a different person. Terry would say, they haven't said enough to each other. Lean in and say what isn't being said? You know that old thing about you go to a restaurant there's an old couple and that they're not saying a word, and then the young couple. I don't ever want to be I said to Belinda. It isn't that that couple has nothing to say. They said they have too much to say and no way of saying it to each other. So my formula, you want a hot relationship, be hot in it. And I don't just mean sexy hot, I mean hot hot, lean in and deal with each other. Every time you're saying no when you really mean no is going to be a diminution in your erotic chart.
Speaker 1: That's probably where the whole makeup sex comes in, right, It's that it's that hate and then that coming together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have makeup sex without a conflict.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, that's going terry.
Speaker 1: In closing, you know, from all the years of work that you've worked in relationship, what in relationships? What do you want couples to know? Mostly in order to save long term relationships, in order to be at their happiest selves together.
Speaker 2: In this culture, our relationship to relationship is passive. We're spontaneous. You just get where you're getting and your bitch about it. No, there's a whole I call it relational technology, just like learning to ski or play the piano, or learning how to speak French. Go to my web, take some court. You me or somebody else. There are more sophisticated ways of dealing with each other then this culture teaches you that your family probably taught. You're going put some time and energy into learning better ways of being with each other. They do work better, So get serious about it. Don't just lay around and expect it to somehow happen. You're going to make it happen.
Speaker 1: Put some time and energy into better ways to being with each other. What an amazing closing sentiment, Terry. Thank you so much for everything you've shared today. I love I love your one liners, I love your quotes. I love they've really stayed with me over the course of this conversation. And there's so much to take away. There's so much that you've got online, like you've mentioned, I'll put links of everything in the show notes. Again, thank you on behalf of all of the couples that you help and the happiness that you create.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, and thank you for this wonderful worker doing. Keep it up.
Speaker 3: Thanks Harry, Thanks for listening to the show.
Speaker 1: If you want access to the full conversation of this episode, you can find the link in the show notes, and also make sure you rate and review. If there's something in this that you just could not arn here and be sure to share it with someone who you think might benefit from listening.