Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Fox League Podcast. My name is Darcy McDonald and joining me in studio today to wrap up the regular season and dissect the seasons of the bottom nine teams. Two of my Fox Sports Digital colleagues, Dan Nuttle and Kyle Robins. Welcome to the.
Speaker 2: Show boys having us on this.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to have you on debutes for both. What it's time?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, all the talk at the moment is about finals, but we can't say goodbye to the bottom teams without unpacking their season first, and I guess running our eyes over what went wrong for them? What was there? Is there a silver lining? Actually? And what does the future look like? Yeah, before we get into it though, finals came early on the weekend. In the last game of the regular season, which was a playing clash between the Knights and the Dolphins. Knight's got the win, which means Wayne Bennett and his Dolphins finish up again missing finals. So even though they finished tenth, we're going to start there because I feel like they're still the flavor of the week at the moment. Kyle, you've put your eye through them. What do you reckon went wrong with the Dolphins this season?
Speaker 3: I think the obvious answer is Wayne's moved to the Rabbits didn't help. He signed that at the he was announced to join the Rabbits at the end of May. They played thirteen games after that and lost ten, So that's sort of the obvious answer. But I think in terms of the playing roster, injuries really killed them. Tom Flegler had his nerve, his shoulder nerve injury. He only played four games this year. Tom Gilbert's an Origin level middle, he didn't play it all this year. Jeremy Marshall King missed nearly two months at the back end of the season. The Hammer had that origin injury, missed a couple weeks there, and then he was out with origins. I think they just sort of lost a few key guys to injury, Like losing two your best middles injured never really, it never helps anyone. Losing your best player Jeremy Marshall King, one of their best players at a crucial point of the season when the season he's on the line doesn't help. And then yeah, the Hammer stuff sort of it wasn't a massive injury, but it's sort of enough to sort of derail them and put him off. You know, put him off the push for the eight.
Speaker 1: And it looked like they'reforewards kind of ran out of juice at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: Right older as well, Like you got to remember it's a lot of experience, guys. Jesse Grmerch's retiring now, Kenny Brommitch's sort of getting on as well. Felice confus he has been played in the middle of a bit like yeah, like Ray Stones, a good, good, good, reliable player, but he's not Fleglor or Tom Gilbert. He's not as punchy as those guys. So yeah, it just sort of seems like it's sort of got Tom a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon as well? Do you guys reckon that Herbie farm Worth didn't quite hit expectations overall. I mean, he had some great games, but overall.
Speaker 4: Agree, yeah, he is one of it all proved it a bit last year with the Broncos when the Dalyam Center of the Year.
Speaker 2: Was he consistent enough for the whole season? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: But in saying that he was, you know, he's sort of flow. Wasn't that bad either. Is obviously a classy player. Look, it's hard to be too critical of the Dolphins second season in the league. Did anyone expect them to be challenging for a final year two? I don't know, Maybe, probably not, but they were sort of right up amongst the top four teams there. Obviously they weren't being talked on the elk of like Penrith or Melbourne all those sort of teams. But they sort of did choke the back ends the last back end of this season. To miss out, to miss out from where they were, Granted, I'll give you that the injuries did play a part, but you know, from where they were, I think they'll be pretty disappointed they've missed out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially after that win over the Broncos, I thought, oh, here we go, they're playing finals.
Speaker 3: And then but the weekend, it was just I think the refereeing decision on the weekend probably doesn't help them there. It's a different game if that gets allowed. But yeah, they just looked like they got it out fought by Newcastle.
Speaker 1: But silver lining, there has to be a silver lining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there is. I think the development of their young core over the year. I think obviously everyone knew what the Hammer was and what Herbie was coming into this year. They were sort of really you know, top top level guys in their position. But Isaiah Katoa obviously spent the last couple of weeks on the bench and then out of the side, but for a large part of that season or this season, he was probably the best young half under twenty three in the comp. Max Plath as well, sort of come from nowhere. I don't remember Max Plath playing in twenty twenty three. This year he was. He was a smoky for Origin at one stage, like he was just he's just so gritty field in at hooker. Really well, like I think their average age is just over twenty two years old. Next year they got Finifuyaki coming down from the Cowboys. He'll be really good on an edge for him. Whether he starts or off the bench, it remains to be seen, but he'll be good. Then you've got avarill On, Jake Bostock also under Jack Bostock, also under twenty five. Connolly Lemowelo's twenty six, but he's only played about sixty odd games, so there's just a nice young foundation for them to build off of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next year, well then looking ahead, future looks pretty bright. I mean new coaching as well, because of Wayne Bennet, but you'd imagine Christian Wolf has had a pretty damn good apprenticeship underway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of all the people to follow Wayne Bennett, you know, obviously it's that Wayne Bennett curse that they thought of never do well. But I think Christian will was probably the most qualified person to take over from Wayn Bennett in a coaching role, and he does have Yeah, he does have plenty piece of work with Flegler might be back next year.
Speaker 2: Flegil will be back next year. So Tom Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Another way, Yeah, Tom Gilbert definitely coming back. But Tom Flegler going under the knife and yeah, it's kind of scary, but so we'll wish him all the very best. But Camber Raiders, as the ladder would have it, they actually finished ninth and I don't know, if there was a wild card round, I would have loved to have seen the Raiders, you know, I don't know. I feel like they could have done something to mix up the finals, but dan ultimately they miss out. What went wrong with it for them this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think the big flashpoint of the season for Canberra was an injury Jamal Foggerty round seven against the Broncos. It was they were traveling pretty nicely at that stage and well four and two entering around seven, Bronco sort of beat him quite easily, gave him a little bit of reality check, and Foggetty was injured I think early in that second half. He came off with with an injury. He missed a substantial part of the season with him in the lineup. They won eight, lost six Without him, they lost six one four, So obviously, you know there was some good wins while he wasn't there. But they missed his leadership, they missed his direction. He's one of the best kicking half backs in the game general field kicking, I mean, and yeah.
Speaker 2: They just they did miss it.
Speaker 4: That sort of his injury, I guess were for silver lining for that injury was Ko Weeks coming to the side in the halves originally, then they moved to fullback, and I thought he was a revelation at fullback, but he played well in the halves when needed to. But look with Weeks and Ethan Strange there, and that Adam Cook came in as well and played well. But you know they aren't here, aren't the veteran president that Jamal Foggetty is and I think that really cost him in that middle stages there when they probably lost some games where they should have won and had that happend they won those games, they sitting seventh or six. So that's probably the big attorney point for me for the Raiders, was that injury to Foggty.
Speaker 1: Silver lining though or a few Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Like, I didn't have high hopes for the Raiders this season in terms of like, I thought they'd be quite decent, but you know, finished eleven, twelve, thirteenth. I didn't think they'd be still on the knocking on the door of an eight at the end of the season. But the young guns we saw, as I mentioned Ethan Strange like, he has been one of the top rookies this season. He might win a Rookie of the Year based on a fact lockm. Galvin and Max Plath suspended so he rules them out. But yeah, he'd be a worthy winner. He was fantastic at the start of the season. Ricky obviously gave him a break and gave him a game off sort of at the back end there and explained that you know, a young kid having to the riggers of his first down or l season. Basically playing in a position like five eighth, get top, a lot of contact, run a lot of ball, make a lot of tackles and yeah, big future headfeeth and strange. Kayle Weeks is another one came from Manley that's seems proven to be a really good pick up.
Speaker 1: He was from the arter at Many too, made a move to kind of save not save his career, but.
Speaker 4: I guess, and he was quite highly regarded as a young stuff just didn't sort of get the I guess put the games together. I guess at the Seagulls whether that be is behind some stars there, but it's come to Canberra, he's been able to flourish and he was fantastic at fullback, so I think that he's probably their fullback going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, because of course Jordan up and heading over to the UK. But yeah, looking ahead, it seems like Ricky is really investing in youth because they've got another young guy Savellio to Marlay coming down from the Dragons and he.
Speaker 2: Is debut against them last year.
Speaker 1: Years ye as well Chevy Stewart. Like they've got some talon Savage. I think they're young, Yeah, a young guy old Patty one. I think Jersey Flegg player of the year for the competition. He was from the Raiders. Adam Cook was cut Player of the year. So they've got the building.
Speaker 2: Block is good. Yea. They want the one Premiership can New Sales Cup.
Speaker 1: No, they just lost the Sticky Bears, but they were i'd say form team of copetition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So obviously Trey Moon is another impressive forward. I think he had some really good games this year and sort of I think when he gets some more minutes into his legs at for NROL level, he'll be a really good player. So yeah, plenty of like about Camber and I think they've done well. Ruce's PENRITHI win at the un Panthers a little bit depleted, but to beat those sides at the end of the season sort of had as they preparing for a finals campaign as a big tip of the cap to him. So player looked forward for as for as a camera Fana.
Speaker 1: They always get their recruitment right as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, another UK sign they get them right.
Speaker 1: A Dragons, God, they're frustrating. Finished eleventh and I went back and I thought about what went wrong with them and there were so many so many bits and pieces like they were consistently inconsistent. But I also went all the way back to December last year when Talatate online was de red, just said for that off field incident. And you have to remember when Shane Flanning and arrived to the club, he probably thought my halves are going to be Talatale, Moan and Ben Hunt. When he was deregistered, he's then had to shuffle a few deck chairs. Incomes Kyle Flannagan, who I would have thought was going to probably be the bench utility. He starts at five eighth, and then of course they had the Ronald Wolkman incident, so they had they lacked depth and they had to scramble so that, you know, we can't disregard that, as I mentioned, consistently inconsistent. I mean, they went down to Melbourne, beat Melbourne in Melbourne, but then they just get spanked by the Eels in a must win game. They were in the box seat, the box seat to make the eight and they fumbled the bag big time like it was just and but it kind of leads into my silver lining for them. I mentioned it. You know they broke that twenty five year who do to be beating the storm in down in Melbourne, and the storm was pretty much full strength as well, Like that's a major flex and they looked like dead set finals contenders there. Zach Lomac's form on the wing was outstanding. You know, sucks that he's leaving, but.
Speaker 4: Arguably one of the stories of the year just in terms of the srutiny, the scrutiny I guess, I guess for lack of a better word, at the start of the season when he was moved and it was sort of like, you know, his Lomax, he sort of doesn't want to really want to be playing on the wing, and the decisions you know, sort of led him to getting his first Origin, Yeah, deb and he's he started in Origin, so yeah, quite remarkable and obviously the move to the Eels in years sort of added uce to that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, a great like a great turnaround for his career. But it also feeds into that looking ahead the future, it looks bright because it's clear shamefuland against the right man for the job. He went all in on that decision to move Zach Lomax to the wing. It was a master stroke. You know, he's brought in guys like Damian Cook and Valentine Holmes for next year and they're winners, their representative players and then but you know what the big question mark for me, and I've had this all season, Tyrel Stone at fullback. I rate him, I love him. I think he's such an exciting player, but I think they need somebody else. They're challenging him for that number one Jersey because they didn't have it this year. Back in New South Wales Cup, they were switching and like they were moving through fullbacks, like there was no Tomorrow whoever put their played fullback. Yeah, that Sabelli, Tomarle. That like in Kingtoggy, whoever would put their hand up to play fullback played fullbacks. They didn't have a genuine number one. And I think had there been a genuine number one that was challenging him, I don't know, it might have brought out the best in him, because we saw when he was dropped he came back firing. And maybe having Valentine Holmes at the club might.
Speaker 3: Iron sharpens iron Mal Holmes a great fullback in his own right. You know, Filane's made no reservations about Sloan's sort of defensive deficiencies, like, yeah, maybe Valholmes is the man to come in there and sort of give him those little one percent point is that someone only someone who's played fullback at a high clip before can give him because Tyrrel Slane, I think he's a fullback or he's nothing, you know what I mean. He's not like you'd be wasting him on the wing. And I don't think he's a center, like he's a fullback or he's nothing. And I think getting him right is just such a big step, Like if they can nail the defensive side of things and just get his up, like get him primed for a big year, it'll go massive towards what they do next year.
Speaker 2: He's he's fantastic.
Speaker 4: The thing with Sloan is the difference between his best and his worst is quite considerable. And you know the area is that of his game, which is probably you know, aren't too red hot at the moment or you know, definitely was the fact of him getting dropped this season was his defense.
Speaker 2: And that's just effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah really, which seems like an easy fix, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think if anyone can fix it, it's funny again, I know he's been there for a season or reading. But yeah, I think Sloan, Yeah, I think the best team is Sloan at fallback. Next year this is Sloan at fullback and Val in the centers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worth noting as well. Corey Allen comes back from an ACL injury, but you know that's a tough injury to return from. And then Cody Ramsey his future is still up in the air. But you know what I said, the Dragons fumbled the bag, but now my expectations are for them. I think they have to play finals next year. Kyle the Broncos one of the stories of the season that fun not in a good way for Brisbane fans. Everyone thought that it would be a Grand Final rematch this year.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't.
Speaker 4: It just wasn't their year and the Broncos thought they were gonna before that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there's plenty that I had for what went wrong. So there's the Grand Final hangover, there's the external noise and expectations that come with making a Grand Final, and not just making a Grand Final, but going within whiskers of winning one like it was in twenty twenty two. Grand Final twenty twenty three not great. See I was in twenty twenty one Grand Final. Even there, they were really close to twenty in that game. Not as close as Brisbane, but really close to twenty in that game twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: We all sort of know how that went. That I got.
Speaker 3: The injuries to Reynolds and Walsh were massive. I think the injury to Reynolds bigger than the injury to Welsh per se, because the drop off between Reynolds and Jock Madden is larger than the drop off between Reese Walsh and Tristan Sailor. Yeah, questionable pre season roster moves. They obviously let go of Tom Flegler, they let go of Herbie Fineworth, and the big one for me is they let go of Kurk caate.
Speaker 1: Well and they didn't replace them. They promoted from with.
Speaker 3: Him, promoted from with him, which is which is fair enough. I think it's it's, you know, that's a good strategy to have. I think the cap Well one it came early in December, but I think December then you go into Christmas. They've got a whole new left edge essentially because it's gone Selwynkobe has been moved to left center. Brendan Piter Kruisman move to left edge back row. That's just not not so much with the ball, but without the ball defending you just got to get all your timings right and stuff like that. I think that really probably derailed them. Origin was one that was touted, but they had Origin last year and they got through it and they went to the Grand Final, so I'm not really sort of using that one. Yeah, there's questions always about Kevy's coaching mobility, and none more so than sort of the last week or so. You've got to remember the Selwyn Cobbe is saying Kevy's not a good coach ice and Gamble saying Adam Reynolds is the go to at the club for footy and you know the team or footage during his time at the Broncos. There's questions about the players attitude, defensive issues in the latter parts of the season. The game against the Dogs, they got ripped part on the edges. The Dogs just ship the Dog's smaller pack Brisbane big pack, Painhass, Corey Jensen Pack, Harrigan, They've got a big boys mobile boys. The Dogs went side to side, got holes on the edges and then a couple of weeks later it was the middle. The Dolphins got punched you through the middle and Melbourne got punched through the middle. Melbourne had lucky outside, but they've got punch you through the middle.
Speaker 2: Like there's that. Harry Grand tried that he just show straight through.
Speaker 1: They didn't adjust on the run to in both of those games. Tough one silver lining is there.
Speaker 3: Any It's hard because it was such a spectacular failure, failure of a season. But I sort of think the silver lining is that they have everything that needs to be that they need to succeed in the club.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: You know, they still have Adam Reynolds. Race shall be better next year. They still have you know, Catani Stags on his day is one of the best centers.
Speaker 2: Cell and Cobo.
Speaker 3: You know, if he has a non disrupted campaign, he'll be a really good center as well. Carrigan Harsen make got two better middles. Ezra Man's really good on his day. And I also like what I saw from like Blake Moser and Xavier Willison's a couple of young guys mos in.
Speaker 2: Particular back half the season.
Speaker 3: Tough gig to come and sort of come off the bench and a team that was really struggling, but you know, he's got a lot of creativity out of the Rock that.
Speaker 2: I thought was quite nice.
Speaker 3: And Willison sort of yeah, he had his Yeah, he had his moments, but it's really tough.
Speaker 2: One for the promise.
Speaker 1: So looking ahead then, I'm going to put it to both of you. Do they play finals next year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Paint ass, Well, you touched on it. Cole paint ass, Kyle, sorry, paint ass. Adam Reynolds and Reese Walsh. I think they missed the combines just under fifty percent of games of the season, like yeah, yeah, of course has played at fourteen games on his origin and mixed in into that as well, but was about twelve or thirteen. Yeah, I just think if I just don't think they'll get up that unlucky with injuries. Again, they're too good a side, and like some of their best performances.
Speaker 2: Were really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just lost their weight at stages there.
Speaker 1: They've got to do it next year for Adam Reynold's retires, so they've got to.
Speaker 2: Do it next year because their coaches jobs on the line.
Speaker 3: They come out to see if they start the season and they lose five or six of their first ten games, the noise will be almost immeasurable and really looked so hard to overcome. Like it's just they need to start winning early and then if they do that, they'll go go through. But if they start losing real early, it's going to be theffield no its might be too much.
Speaker 1: And the thing in Brisbane is when they're winning, their rock stars when they're losing, get them out of there, all right. The Warriors. I had them top four, potentially winning the premiership this year because they were one of the very few teams that only added to their roster. They didn't lose any firepower. But holy hell from up the toe, how disappointing. They got a major reality check this season. They were the fairy tale story of last season and I have to wonder if maybe they, I don't know, came into the off seas, into the preseason not I don't want to say, I don't want to use the word and say complacent, because I know every player and coach will just go no way. But you have to wonder if some consciously they thought, all right, we've done all the hard yards you know during last season, we just need to build on it and whether there was like not a little bit of cockiness maybe I'm not too sure. They also couldn't fly under the raidar because everyone would have been focusing. No one would have seen them coming last year. This year everyone saw them coming. Throw in the fact that Luke metcalf stuff that horrific broken leg in round four. Again, you spend the whole preseason training with him and Sean Johnson and there go throw that out. Sean Johnson just wasn't the player that he was last season. There's no two ways about it. It was just a year that just didn't stack up to expectation.
Speaker 3: Just on the worries as well in the past, because how big rugby union has been in New Zealand, if they've had a poor year, it's mainly the media noise has mainly been Australian media noise because it's rugby league's more of an Australian game. But because of how popular the wires are now, their bad performances were almost as you know, focused on in New Zealand as they would have been over in Australia. I just wonder how much sort of that would have impacted them, Like that's almost a first for them really because every game sold out.
Speaker 1: But they would have become rock stars last year one hundred percent, and then all of a sudden they're not delivering to those expectations. And then you know, a wind changes everything, and when you're losing everything, the noise is louder. So again, I feel like they'll learn from this. There were some silver linings though. There's some really exciting young talent coming out in New Zealand. Jacob Laban, I think he got their Rookie of the Year at the Assignment simmer Mannering Medal the other night, like a Hall of Sema. Maybe his debut, like he came on, I think you played on an air you played in the centers. Yeah, played in the center.
Speaker 3: He played in the Center's nearly scored from about forty five menus out but yes, miraculous Bronze and shri held him up over the trial.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I don't know how, but he's excited.
Speaker 1: Mitch Barnett best season to date maybe, yeah, unbelievable. Got their Player of the Year at the awards night, and I thought tomorrow Martin had a really good year as well. He thought I thought he looked really good in the number seven jersey and when you look ahead, I wonder does he replace Sean Johnson.
Speaker 2: Probably you'd think eventually it's a good game.
Speaker 4: Back to the Metcalf you mentioned that, I think that was, Yeah, that rocked their season because their last how the games he played at the end of this season, he was near the best on the ground for those, so that was a big loss. Tomorrow Martin, Yeah, I think he's definitely earned as a bit of water to go on the bridge for the start the next season, but definitely earned a role in the halves. A young play didn't mention. I thought was excellent was Tanane.
Speaker 2: To a picking?
Speaker 1: I loved Taying to a pick and I thought it was really interesting. Was it the final round? Their final round of the season. Andrew Webbs moved to chance and the Brook starts to the centers and played Tane and which was it was a timely reward because he was killing it in New South Bales Cup comes in.
Speaker 4: And it's the best on ground and they upset the.
Speaker 1: Magic question full back next year, Roger, are you moving Roger there?
Speaker 3: I don't know because at the times if they got the board, when they when they got the boardroom and they were flowing.
Speaker 2: It worked. I don't know. I just that's a hard one. They've got three guys that you could easily I'd go tain to a picky at full back. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Look, they might put Roger there, but I thought if they were going to do that this year they would they would have. There was a lot of opportunity for them to and they didn't. I don't know whether Roger wanted to. But when he did play fullback, I think their record when I mean two or three games, I'm not sure, but they definitely one more and they lost when he played fullback. So yeah, it depends will charge on a play center who knows a lot to go. But I think Tanne to a pick is too good.
Speaker 2: Not in inside.
Speaker 1: I think yeah. And looking ahead at next year, I mean they lose Adam for nol Blake, but they add James Fisher Harris, I mean huge, pretty cool. Yeah. I reckon that this was a reality check and next year they should bounce back. Gold Coast Titans new era under Dez started a bit clunky, strange year, came really good and then admittedly.
Speaker 2: I thought they'd be a top eight team this year.
Speaker 1: Coming into the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I thought that.
Speaker 4: I just thought, you know, I the start was they're undoing. They missed the kickway at lengths. Basically, they lost the first six games and lost Tino in round three. It's a big loss, obviously, massive. Yeah, I just think, you know, for the year. With a year there under the belt, I think they can improve next year.
Speaker 2: For sure. There were some really good signs. They thrashed the Warriors that game.
Speaker 4: Their attack was humming at different stages throughout the year, but defensively they were really ordinary.
Speaker 2: I thought they'd be better.
Speaker 4: That was probably the area I thought they would sort of maybe they'd be a little bit more improved with but they sort of regressed in that area.
Speaker 2: So that was the big disappointment for me.
Speaker 4: But look, we know Des Hasler in the past, but he's a very good defensive wanded coach. You can sort of turn teams around, and I think he'll be able to do that, but he'll need a big turnaround on defense because they were one of the worst.
Speaker 1: Big decision as well in the off season a Jo Brimston, Jade and Campbell, Keanu Kinney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been city.
Speaker 1: This has been sitting on my mind for dead sat at least three months.
Speaker 2: Well Campbell, I think's a six, right.
Speaker 1: And Keanu Kinney is a one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Brimston has to Where else do you put him? You can put him right.
Speaker 1: I was waiting, So the back end of that season there was like switching and swapping because Philip Sami was sick, and then someone was injured, and we never really got to see what Dez was thinking. And then when everyone was fit, they go a Joe Brimson's going to go under the knife and you just have an early mark And I thought, I don't want to wait until next season to find out what happens. But he's on, he'd be on big money. AJ is on a long term deal. But I don't know where. Like Sami was great in the sense.
Speaker 2: He has to be in left, I don't seventeen when he's when he's fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what Dez does.
Speaker 2: It's a good head, Brian Kelly.
Speaker 3: Ryan Kelly's good. The wing is a good as well, So Somemy can't just move to the wing like.
Speaker 1: It's I have something outrageous to put out there. Here we go a j Brimson to play fullback at the Dragons.
Speaker 2: Well that is very red.
Speaker 4: I thought you like a lock fall, that is what I was excited.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, I'll just given Sloan a big rap so.
Speaker 1: Well, well, he doesn't have to necessarily play, but he could probably play in the centers at the Dragons to I don't know, I.
Speaker 4: Think is the fullback position at the moment is absolutely stocked. You go through every team and you know, there's not a I would have said maybe at the halfway point of the year. The only team that was like, you wouldn't really be sure about who their future fallback would be for the next two or thre years would Big Camera because they'd Rapana playing there and he was probably going to be leaving at the end of the year. And then Kyle Weeks came in to merge, and you know, he's got a bit to works it do a fullback, but he was very good. He was very good in limits of time there. So yeah, in terms of like another club, I'm sure a J. Brimston would definitely be in the top sixteen full back.
Speaker 1: You look at someone like so far longer on the bench Storm sometimes eighteenth man, so like, yeah, you'd hate to be a fullback at the moment. All right, well, let's move along to the paramount of Eels.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I'm going to say probably the worst performing team compared to their expectations.
Speaker 1: The biggest disappointment this year. I got to give you some insight. I went to a training session in their preseason and I interviewed a stack of their players, and I genuinely thought that they were going to bounce back this year in the way that the Broncos bounced back from twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three, because talking to them, you could see how genuinely they were hurt and embarrassed by what happened last season. And boy did they disappoint. But what went wrong, Mitchell moses like that injury and this is a heel that I will die on. The Eels killed themselves by not having a like for like, genuine backup number seven ready to go. So when they let Jake Arthur leave the club, they didn't replace him and Deja nasty, great player, but he's not a like for like half back that's in New Southwest cau't playing half back every single week. He's playing here, there and everywhere. In his versatility is his asset. They needed a half back like it was very clear in Brad Arthur's coaching plan in that twenty twenty two season when they made the Grand Final, just how important the halves were so much so he was happy to put Jake Arthur on the bench and have him not play any minutes at all, so long as he was there as an insurance plan. So that's clear how important the halves were. And then they came into this season with no backup and they were completely exposed for that. Mitchell Moses, you know that was a terrible injury. He's out. That kind of just snowballed into Brad Arthur's sacking. And then just to add I guess injury to insult or insult to injury. Sorry, you've got Ethan Sanders signing with the Raiders, Blaze Ta Lungy' signing with the Panthers, Mad Arthur signing with the Knights. So their next generation of players, Charlie.
Speaker 2: Gimer wants to leave as well.
Speaker 1: Apparently Little Player too, silver Line.
Speaker 2: And Blaze's younger brother apparently and moved to Penrith as well. I read the other day they just.
Speaker 1: Need to I don't know, blow it up and start again. Silver lining. I struggled with this. I think the silver lining is they didn't get the wooden spoon. As Clint Garthurson said in the press conference after Spoon Bowl, no one remembers who came fifteen sixteenth. It's everyone remembers who came seventeenth. And he has a point there. One other silver lining is they did secure the next big thing in coaching in Jason Ryles. He has a massive job. But I suppose, you know, everyone was interested in signing Jason Ryles and the Eels got their man.
Speaker 4: I would still I don't know about you guys, but I would still, you know, based on assuming they get through the off season healthy and all that sort of stuff, I still think that they be favorites to be in the finish in the top eight next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I know it was against the Tigers, but they show what they can do when they went on. You know, they've you know, they've got an aging roster, I guess, but Moses was outstanding when he was healthy, obviously, and you have some good pieces that they can work with. I think I think they really should be I think they have a pretty tough draw this year.
Speaker 1: You look at their like their site. Clink Arthurson never lets you down right. Mitchell Moses one of the best halves in the game. Dylan Brown, you know, great news that he hasn't ruptured his ACL that's amazing news. He'll be back for round one. Add Zach Lomax to that back line.
Speaker 2: Penasine is, if not the most powerful center.
Speaker 1: In the camp, like you're adding Isaiah Iongi from the Panthers. He'll be a good backup to Clink Artherson. So and then they're also, Thank goodness, I've realized they need a backup to Mitchell Moses, and they've got the rise on Dean Hawkins at the rabbit O's and he's a very lightful like player. So I agree with you. I expect them to be playing finals next year, even though it's Jason Rowles's first season.
Speaker 3: Good enough forward pack to do it really, like you know, Paulo Kem Gillard hop good freak. The back round was a great Brice cart ride on these days. Unbelievable hooker is probably is.
Speaker 1: Probably it's a big you know, I rate Brendan hands, but I do agree that they you know, Okay, I've got another one to throw out there Jade and Brayley. He was tapped on the shoulder right to the eels.
Speaker 3: If Jason Rowles likes a stin and deliver hooker, yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: A clever player. He's experienced.
Speaker 2: If Jason Roles likes.
Speaker 1: His with Brendan hands off the bench, bringing on some a bit of spark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I hate look. I think the best available hooker. Yeah, I think it's the best devaible.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to move some pieces around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if that'll be not sure an upgrade. I know he's a veteran presence. Brailey, you know, very good on his day. But I just I thought brillianone's quite good when he was.
Speaker 1: Actually I love him, but I don't know eighty minutes. Sometimes I'm a big believer in playing two hookers. I think hooker is such an important position. You argue, you've got your hands on the ball most and you're arguably making more decisions than anybody else on the field. And I mean you're getting fatigued, your decision making lapses, your service, you know, doesn't get so good.
Speaker 3: Who was the new South Wales hooker in the under twenties. This year maybe be a good pick up for the Ears.
Speaker 1: Mad Arthur, Yes, yeah, no, I think next year they bounce back.
Speaker 2: It hard to say them.
Speaker 1: Also really keen to see how Jason Rowls goes in that job. Rabbit os Dan. Second last, it's like, okay, before we get into this, did you guys did you guys have them in your eighth this year? Did you think last year was just a you know, chuck that to the side. You've got the roster to go all the way?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: I thought they'd make the eight. I wasn't thinking they'd be Yeah, well, I definitely thought they make the eight. I don't think it would be one of the top premiership hopes. But on it was just so much that went wrong. We could do a whole episode on the rope. I'll see how Sydney alone. But obviously you know, went to Vegas, good experience, it's up there, and that they got the loss there. That was the start of it, and then obviously got a much worse after that. Chasing Demetro sacked started May. Yeah, it looks like seven eight rounds into the season.
Speaker 1: Looks like they didn't really get a handle on whatever was rotting at the end of last season, they never actually really stopped.
Speaker 2: Well that's it.
Speaker 4: You can you can you can obviously trace it back to back then the sam Burges just walk out and all that sort of stuff. Latrell wasn't healthy for much of the year, then he plays one of the best Horozen games at the Center in recent memory, and then he comes back injured. Obviously, the white substance scan at the end of the year just sort of rubs salt into the wound. I guess on what has been a horror season for South Sydney, so you know, and moving onto the silver lining, they cannot be possibly any worse than Kembill.
Speaker 1: Grahame's back massive you forget about Campbell Graint and also think about the halves to Localilli has dropped, broke his leg and he breaks his Legan Hawkins comes in. You know, it took a while for Ben Hornby to make that switch that everyone wanted to see him move Jack Whiton into the halves. Yeah, Alex Johnston was injured, Jayarro, Camra Murray spent some time out to it.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, I think their forwards are a little disappointing for me this year. Keon Klomba tongue when he was moved in the middle was very good, fantastic. David kay Murray wasn't going to have his best year. I didn't think he was still, you know, we have high expectations, but he was probably not less. Sean Kepio expected a bit more from him this year. There was talk, there was talks about him playing you know, Origin at the start of this season, like he was talking about it. I think he was saying that's what he was like to press for and he didn't really deliver this year. I just think they need a bit more punch from their forwards. Let them down obviously, and injuries cost them as well. But with that said, it's you can't make a whole. While a lot went wrong, they were pretty ordinary too.
Speaker 1: Are your halves? Are you sticking with Cody Walker and Jack Whiton in the halves?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think Cody Walker's played really well at half back at stages this year. Jack Whiton, I love Jack Whitton. I just think he went missing in games too this year as well. I thought he was better at five eight than he was at Sene because you get obviously get your hands on the ball more at five eighth than and that.
Speaker 2: But you know you got little dog coming Jamie Humphries as well.
Speaker 4: Jamie Humphries is a guy who will be pressing first grades election.
Speaker 1: I'd pick one of them at half back because they are going to lose Dean Hawkins and they're told luck itly as he can leave. Yeah, interesting, Hawky.
Speaker 4: Probably you probably put Whiton and Whiton and Campbell Grahm your centers.
Speaker 2: I would play Whiten in the back row.
Speaker 3: In the back row, play White and left edge back row big John Sutton Vibes and I'd get like Isaiah Task next to him at left center, and I just I just let that left edd rome.
Speaker 2: But they have you and Aiken as well.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing when you start piecing it together, like it's a great roster tyro and Monroe like he missed the chunk of the year. Put him in. Alex Johnson, you got speed, try scoring machines on both the Campbell Graham great defensive center. If you were to play Jack White on the other side, you work your way in. I don't know where you put kill Klinma tongue somewhere.
Speaker 3: Wayne will probably open. Wayne'll play Hi in the middle. Wayne seems to like him in the middle.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they wouldn't him in the front of favor while their front rowers this year weren't great. When colin On Toungue was in the middle at Locke, yeah he was, it was really good. Just need a couple of upgrades to their back line. I think a couple of guys in there this year probably aren't up to enter. I stand in my opinion, But you know that was because it was injuries and all that sort of stuff called Campbell, Graham back, Colmence, Hungy in the middle and then yeah, you and Aiken ads so.
Speaker 2: Underrated keeping him at full back, Yeah I am. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're better when he's at fullback. When he's not at fullback and they I don't think they have the team yet. I'm not too sure they have the team to if they move him to left center, get him good enough football to then affect the game. I think at fullback he's not going to do. You're Dylan Edwards three hundred meters a game full back. I wouldn't want that from him. Yeah, he just needs to influence the game when he's in the attacking half. The other problem is their wingers aren't the best coming out of.
Speaker 1: Their any Well, they're not. That's not there. That's not They're not Brian Tos Yeah, or Jacob Kurra.
Speaker 3: That's where Kembell Graham and Jack White and Isaiah Tuss and those guys will come in and do that heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'd leave the trail at the back.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you meant we kind of touched on it, the big silver lining and the looking ahead. Wayne Manette returned, say no more like he took him to a Grand Final in twenty twenty one. The players love him. If there's anyone that can kind of, you know, put their magic dust on a club and turn it around, Dayne Bennett. Hence why the Eels tried to get him as well. All right, well let's finish off on our three time Wooden Spooners, the West Tigers. Kyle, what went wrong?
Speaker 3: Look, it's it's very easy to look at the club that's just won their third consecutive Wooden Spin and say pretty much everything went wrong. But I don't know if I'd go that hard. I think the worst thing for the Tigers is she was Dissa. They're the most symbian team in a single season in NRL history. So they had sixteen players sent to the Symbian. They had games where they had two players sent to the Symbian, and teams can survive with two in the symbian. The Dogs beat the Knights at Ako early in the season with two players in the Symbian, not simultaneously, but still. But I just think when you're a team like the Tigers and you just don't have, you know, the runs on the board and that winning mentality, losing to you know that many people to the symbin is massive. They had twenty five charges by the Match Review Committee. They had six players suspended for a total of eight times, so Caesar and Justin olanm was suspended twice and they all spent so that they all spent sixteen matches on the sideline, So that's eight and seas. You started half back, Lachlan Galvin, your you know, your best young player and your five eighth on the sideline. Justin Olam, you're probably your best, saying Isaiah Poppelli one of your best forwards, David Klamer your best front rower.
Speaker 2: Like these guys, missing time doesn't help. So I think disciplines are massive. And then like they just have so much off field stuff as well.
Speaker 3: Like it's very hard to ignore the offield stuff like the you know, the Stefano where's he going? Where was he and a go, like all that kind of stuff up in the air, Bateman's mid year loan and sort of the pressure that come with Shane Richardson was in the UK earlier in the shopping players around.
Speaker 1: You could just imagine what that did to the mentality.
Speaker 3: Ben his Fiji trip, and then right at the end of the year the threat from Bowmain to try and split the club. Like there's all these little things that just yeah, just would eat away.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't take much for the media to latch onto a story when it's on the Tigers and just yeah, Silver Linings, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Civil Linings is definitely the young players that they got, Like they've seriously got so many good young players that like they're they're super raw at the moment because they're yeah, obviously young and haven't played heaps of football, but like like obviously Galvin is a freak, Like he's Gus called said, he's like the best teenager he's ever seen, Yeah, which is some rap considering the amount of footy Guss watched like samue La Fay and who was unbelievable at points this season. Like for Nopol, he's got, you know, he's got a big future in him.
Speaker 2: Talent.
Speaker 3: The Silver's really talented. Dream baller is obviously if you get about h because he missed a.
Speaker 1: Couple and you go one step lower.
Speaker 3: Heath mate Sanoa t River's only twenty one and he's joining next year, Like this is crazy.
Speaker 1: Well looking ahead, I mean all eyes on Jerome Lilie right.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Big Jerome showed this year that he can lead the team as a number seven. He's got you know, he's got players around him that can sort of affect the Scoreboy, he's got Lachlan Galvin there, Like yeah, I think LOUI will go there with not too much a chip on his shoulder. But you know, he's shown for you know, ten or twelve rounds this year that he can be the main guy. But I think still going into next year, because it's said the Tigers are not the Panthers, I think there'll still be massive doubts about you know, it was this twenty twenty four sort of a bit of an anomaly, and I think he'll have a little bit of a chip on his shoulder that he want to yeah, and a point to prove, and I just think, yeah, I think he'll just.
Speaker 2: He'll work wonders for him.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I think just the leadership and stuff like we see with Stephen Crichton at the at the Dogs. Yeah, I think you can't underestimate just how much leadership and influence he will have on that young team.
Speaker 1: I think Abby Corusal will sigh a little bit of relief. Jeromeurns from four game suspension probably tried to take some things from Penrith and implement them at the Tigers. And you can see sometimes he's jumping out of dummy half and there's no one you know that's on the same page as him throwing. Jerome Louwhite, They've come from similar systems. They had success. That's a good spine. Jerome lu and Lachland, Galvin, Jerine Buller.
Speaker 3: It's similar because when the Dog sign read Marnie that first season, there wasn't a whole lot going out and he would jump out of dummy howf and skip and skip and skip, and then he'd try to overplay his hand and it would be an error.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't do anything. There's probably times where app he's tried to do that this year.
Speaker 3: He just needs one guy just knows what he's sort of doing to get there, and then the rest of.
Speaker 2: The team will follow.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I'm really high on the Tigers next year.
Speaker 1: Are we tipping him to lift themselves up?
Speaker 2: They might go to ninth? Oh don't, I'll improved. They won't make it. I don't think. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just think there's too much improvement from some of the teams we've mentioned that I think are better than the Tigers at this stage, and we'll be next year. I think, like the Paramatta and the Gold Coast, I think they will really improve sharply. Tigers will definitely improve. They wouldn't spare it. It would be crazy to think with that roster they have next year that they will. But yeah, they'll be.
Speaker 2: They won't be in the media as nearly as much next year.
Speaker 4: I don't think these air performances on the field, will you keep the heat off Benji in their players?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Well, that's twenty twenty four. The season wrapped up for those nine teams. They can sail off into the Valley sunset and enjoy a premature off season for the remaining eight teams, though, this is where the fun really begins. So thank you Dan and Kyle for jumping on this week and for our listeners keep your eyes peeled, I should say, for our club by club end of season reviews on Fox sports dot com dot Au. Catching next time.