Speaker 1: From the Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. The Salt Path, a best selling memoir by Rayna Winn, seems to be following what's becoming a predictable trajectory. Faced with adversity, a protagonist embarks on an epic quest, finding meaning on the way. The resulting memoir is inspiring and labeled unflinchingly honest. Copies fly off the shells. The manuscript is optioned and turned into a hit movie, this one starring Gillian Anderson and Jason Isaacs. But similar to James Fray's A Million Little Pieces, a memoir about drug and alcohol addiction, which had to be reclassified as semi fiction after various exaggerations and fabrications were uncovered, and Belle Gibson's The Whole Pantry, a cancer miracle cure cookbook written by A Kancas who never had cancer. The Saltpath's authenticity has now been called into question after an investigation published this week by the Observer. The author, Rayna Winn is strongly denying The Observer's allegations, and you'll hear more from her soon, joining me to unpack the saga is Tim Douglas, in house expert on all things cultural and editor of review published in the weekend edition of The Australian. The Salt Path starts with the author, Rayna Wynn and her husband Moth losing it all after an investment with their friend goes south, homeless and destitute. The hits keep coming for this middle aged couple.
Speaker 2: We also house, We lost our livelihood, and a few days later my husband of thirty two years received a terminal diagnosis an we gosto future.
Speaker 1: The diagnosis is for cordico basal degeneration, a rare and degenerative brain disease with similarities to Parkinson's. With nothing to lose, the couple embark on a thousand kilometer walk along the southwest Coast path of Britain.
Speaker 2: It became more than just a walk for us. It became something that saved us.
Speaker 1: Only this week, a widow named Ross Hemmings has detailed in The Observer a very different sequence of events. Hemmings alleges that Winn, whom she knew by her legal name Sally Walker, had embezzled money from her late husband Martin while working as his bookkeeper. The initial sum was thought to be around nine thousand pounds. Winn pleaded for forgiveness, according to Roz, and assured her employer the money would be repaid only soon after it was established the missing sum was much higher, like close to sixty thousand pounds higher. Here's what Roz Hemmings told the Observer newspaper in Britain. She's made a lot of money out of ruining my family's life. Allegedly, Winn was arrested in questioned, but flew the coup before further action could be taken. Then, a distant relative of Wynn's husband, Tim also known as Morth, bailed the couple out with a one hundred thousand pound loan and in return, the Hemmings's agreed to drop the matter and sign a non disclosure agreement. Then, reportedly the loan was called in and that's how they lost the house. Hardly a business venture gone south. Here's part of a statement raynal Wynn has released. She's denying any wrongdoing. We've included in the show notes a link to her full statement, and we're including some of it here too. But it's fair to say she has a detailed response to what The Observer has reported We've used an AI voice to read the statement, and you'll hear more of Rain and Ween's responses throughout this episode.
Speaker 3: The Observer article is grotesquely unfair, highly misleading, and seeks to systematically pick apart my life. But as our walk along the Salt Path taught us, when life has ground you into the dirt, you need to stand up, turn your face to the wind, and continue unafraid. So that is what I must do. I worked for Martin Hemmings in the years before the economic crash of two thousand and eight. For me, it was a pressured time. It was also a time when mistakes were being made in the business. Any mistakes I made during the years in that office I deeply regret and I am truly sorry. Mister Hemmings made an allegation against me to the police, accusing me of taking money from the company. I was questioned. I was not charged, nor did I face criminal sanctions. I reached a settlement with Martin Hemmings because I did not have the evidence required to support what happened.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the decisions that have been made up until this point. Penguin Random House would have given this woman an advance to write this book, and how to sign a contract in which presumably she would have given an undertaking that it was true. This is not the only literary scandal that's around at the moment, But but once a year we hear that a best selling book is based on an untruth or that there might be some doubt about its origins. Do you think it matters for the publishing house? They're now getting a huge amount of publicity out of it.
Speaker 4: Those books are sold, so it's already sold two million books and counting. Whether this will harm that is another story. So I think that it's an interesting question about whether it matters. It's a really philosophical one. I mean, in this country, of course, we've got Helen Dennadenko and Miles Franklin winning the handsign the paper, and we have the normal curity scandal of course that broke. We've got Bell Gibson too, and there are shades of that with this story also. So I think her subsequent books will be harm She's got a book coming out in a month or two, I believe.
Speaker 5: But I think the film side of it is really interesting.
Speaker 4: It had kind of a muted release here, opened in May, took four hundred thousand on the opening weekend. But in the UK it's massive. It's the third biggest film of the year there already, it's taken almost eight million pounds at the box office. It is yet to secure a North American release, and I think it is an independent film, so independent films have a slow burn. So this was released last year at Toronto Film Festival in September, got a lot of recognition there, then had a release in the UK and Australia simultaneously. But the producers bank on word of mouth from a big kind of UK release to secure those theaters in the US to really make their money back. Now, if social media is any indication, I think that looks increasingly unlikely that major cinemas would take a gamble on that.
Speaker 5: They also wait for the streaming.
Speaker 4: Rights to roll out. Will anyone want to watch this on a streaming platform? If these allegations prove to be true, It's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the responsibility of publishers and film houses when they're buying a story like this. Obviously there's a commercial consideration, but is there also an ethical question here, particularly when it relates to something medical?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean there is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think as journalists we find it difficult to understand how a publishing house might not perform due diligence and get across that story and say, Okay, this isn't your real name. This didn't actually happen. I mean, one would have thought that there are people employed to perhaps you know, tract.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when you're signing a legal contract with someone, surely you would be asking to see a driver's license at least.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Rain and Winn responded with this, let me explain my names.
Speaker 3: Win is my maiden name, and like most women who have married, I've used both my maiden name Win and married name Walker. In the early years after Math and I met, I told him I disliked my name Sally Ann. It made me think of ringlets and Gingham dresses and how I wished I'd been given the family name of Raynor. From then on, he called me ray It is the name many people who are close to me have known me by, and the name I love and chose as my pen name, Moth is just an abbreviation of his name, Timothy.
Speaker 4: I think the medical issue is a different concern, because, of course it's patient doctor confidentiality. And there are from one of the better term, miraculous things that happen in terms of health, whether that is becoming a terminal, very rare, serious neurological condition by going out for a stroll is.
Speaker 5: A Is that the issue?
Speaker 3: Here's what Rhina Wein said about that among the Observer's many accusations, the most heartbreaking is the suggestion that Moth has made up his illness. This utterly vile, unfair, and false suggestion has emotionally dev stated Moth, who has fought so hard against the insidious condition of cortico basil syndrome. I have never sought to offer medical advice in my books or suggests that walking might be some sort of miracle cure for CBS. I am simply charting Moth's own personal journey and battle with his illness and what has helped him. We will always be grateful that Moth's version of CBS is indolent. Its slow progression has allowed us time to discover how walking helps him. Others aren't so lucky.
Speaker 1: Publishing has survived against all the odds. Probably twenty years ago there were predictions that publishing would die, but it's books like beasts that have kept publishing, isn't it. Memoir has been a big part of along with romanticy, of why people are still buying books in paper discussing them in book clubs. Do you think in the age of social media, where publishing houses are very quick to leap on something that's big on TikTok, that there's a diminution of the checks and balances that they once would have gone through. They've lost a bit of their power.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they may have done that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're right, memoir is huge, and you know, I'm waiting for yours to come out, actually, because I think people would be quite interested, to be honest, I expect to people in publishing all the time and they're always looking for.
Speaker 5: That new story.
Speaker 4: I feel like this one was apparently the author wrote the book.
Speaker 5: Just for a husband. I mean, what do we believe anymore?
Speaker 4: But it didn't intend for really to become a published book or let alone a publishing phenomenon. But yeah, I think it's interesting in the world of social media and selfie culture and generation me that those personal stories, embellished as they may be, are so interesting to people.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about where the story goes after the loss of the house and the diagnosis. In the book, they set out on one of these walks that middle aged people seem to be doing a lot now and what happens on the course of that walk in the book, Well.
Speaker 5: I read the book. There was a lot of whining that happened in it. I've found really hard going.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm the only one, but basically they realized that the pension they're going to get from the government isn't enough to really keep them alive, so they beg borrow and steal and steal in some cases from small business owners, and you know, they meet other people along the path, but invariably I found there's this really insufferable tone from the author of the book about how they were doing it the only righteous way, and that other people on the path are always rude to them, and no one could believe that they could possibly do this walk.
Speaker 5: And it's a good walk. I mean six hundred and thirty miles.
Speaker 4: I think it's onenty twelve kilometers from Somerset to Dorset, so it's a big effort. But I found some of the writing quite difficult.
Speaker 1: Going more of my chat with Tim Douglas after the Break it's meant to be uplifting, obviously, and that's one of the reasons why this book went viral. It was a story of triumph over adversity. These people took their situation, which was basically being homeless, and turned it into an adventure. That's a new genre in publishing, isn't it. We used to have misery memoirs. Now we have middle aged people where something bad happens and then they.
Speaker 5: Go for more. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: My wife or her friend's fortieth just did the Santiago to Compostella Walk because one hundred and sixty kilometer walk as part of the Camino de Santiago Walk. A friend of hers, at a dinner party maybe three or four weeks ago, said, you have to read this book.
Speaker 5: I hadn't seen the film.
Speaker 4: I still haven't seen it, but he said, you have to read this book because it's just so uplifting. It's amazing, You've got to do this walk, and so, Yeah, people in their forties and fifties are now, you know, really embarking on these kind of journeys trying to stay far. But you're right, it's a new genre, and look, it's worked for Raynal Winns. She's had three subsequent book deals out of it, all of which detail her husband Moths overcoming this horrible disease with which he has lived for eighteen years, apparently.
Speaker 1: And that's the other part of the story with which the Observer has raised questions, isn't it because neurologists who are specialists in this particular disease are saying nobody lives for eighteen years, and certainly nobody lives in what appears to be quite good.
Speaker 4: Health exactly, and not just good health, but doing the equivalent of as it says in the book for Summits of Everest on this walk. I mean, these people are in good nick.
Speaker 1: There was obviously something about this book that had your spidy senses tingling when you were reading it. Do you feel justified now in your hatred of it as a piece of literature? And doesn't mean you don't have to go on one of these epic walks?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, two things. It means I don't have to watch the film, which I've managed to avoid doing.
Speaker 5: I didn't hate it. I just found the Tony sufferable.
Speaker 4: And you know this kind of inverse noobbery of being out on the trail and all these people with their flashbackpacks.
Speaker 5: We're doing it the right way.
Speaker 4: You know, no one believed we could do it, and all these serendipitous coincidences that I just found a little bit darling. As for the walk, my wife wants to do the Camino Way from Santiago to Compostella. I'm one hundred percent in it's eight hundred ks. I just need to convince the editor in chief to let me have eight weeks off work fully paid.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you could be writing a book about it.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure anyone would want to read that.
Speaker 1: Tim Douglas is the editor of Review. You can check it out by picking up a copy of the Weekend Australian or going to the Australian dot com dot auslash Review anytime. This episode of the Front was hosted by met Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper Leek, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Christian amyot Leat, Sammaglu, Tiffany Dimac, Joshua Burton and Stephanie Coombs.