Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debase.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 4: I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and freyer Leitch coming up tonight. Our dope of the day A bloke tries to set fire to a restaurant in Melbourne and only succeeds in setting fire to himself.
Speaker 3: Will show you that later.
Speaker 4: Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, the Coalition announce their shadow Cabinet and Victoria's machete Band results in skyrotting, skyrocketing sales of machetes.
Speaker 3: Who would have thought we'll get to all of that shortly.
Speaker 4: But first, we live in a time where there are wars and rumors of wars, and the latest rumor is that Israel will soon attack Iran's nuclear facilities. The Israelis believe that Iran, if they choose, could develop a nuclear warhead within about a week. The Israelis also believe that with Iran's air defense system currently in disrepair, there now exists a window of opportunity to attack those nuclear facilities successfully. But Donald Trump, who's involved in talks with Iran at the moment, has asked the Israelis to.
Speaker 3: If you will cool their jets.
Speaker 4: In the Israel Times newspaper, it's said that officials report Trump's message to Benjamin Netan Yahoo is that he doesn't want him to antagonize Iran at a time when Trump himself is trying to solve problems, and while he's keeping the other option, that is an attack open. Trump wants to give a chance to diplomatic talks before Benjamin Netan Yahoo embarks on a military campaign. So the question becomes talks or bombs Caleb, which one.
Speaker 2: Well, I think talks in the first instance would be the right thing to do. And of course Trump was talking about this in read a couple of weeks ago that he feels that the interventionist policy of previous administrations has not worked. And I don't think you can argue with that. I mean, I would defy anyone to tell a single instance of the US interfering in the Middle East that has actually worked. We can go through Libya, we can go through Iraq, we can go through Afghanistan, on and on you can go. It has never ever worked. So Trump said, look, on the basis of that, I'm going to give something else to go. I want to have talks with Iran to see if we can do anything. This is him talking about exactly this just a couple of weeks ago, and reate.
Speaker 3: I want to make a deal with Iran.
Speaker 5: If they can make a deal with Iran, I'll be very happy if we're going to make your region and the world a safer place. But if Iran's leadership rejects this alive branch and continues to attack their neighbors, then we will have no choice but to inflect massive maximum pressure drive Iranian oil exports to zero, like I did before.
Speaker 2: Now. Of course, the background to this is that there was a nuclear deal done with Iran in twenty fifteen, and Trump pulled out of that in twenty sixteen because he thought it was a bad deal, that it gave too much leeway to Iran. So he pulled out and put sanctions on Iran, and those sanctions were quite successful. It has to be said. Then along comes Joe Biden. He basically undoes all of it, gives hundreds of billions of dollars to Iran, which they then promptly go and give to their mates the hooties and etc. And we've seen what the result was of that. So Trump has said, look, I will try and negotiate my own deal, and if you don't come to the table, I'll go hell for leather against you. He wrote to the Iatola in March and said, you come and talk to me and we strike a deal, or I'll get my military onto you. So he's very clear about where he's going. He's not ruling out military intervention. He's simply saying, let's try a way of doing this first that doesn't involve guns and bombs. And I think he's right to do so.
Speaker 6: It's a nice idea to assume that we can negotiate with all countries and that we somehow share a set of values and common interests that mean can strike a deal. But I just don't think this is realistic at all. As you mentioned, there have been previous attempts and in fact, previous nuclear deals with Iran, and they have all failed because they benefit Iran lifting sanctions and then guess what, they just go ahead and keep enriching uranium.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 6: They're now enriching uranium at a sixty percent purity, which is almost weapons great, and there is genuine reason to believe that that's a possibility, and that would present an existential threat to Israel. And I think the other challenge here for Trump is he came in on this peace through strength doctrine, which is essentially deterrence, right, But deterrence relies on the enemy knowing that at some point you might actually take actions, military actions against them. Hence why they want to avoid conflict. So I guess the question for Trump is if Iran rejects this nuclear deal, which in all likelihood they will, what's he.
Speaker 2: Going to do?
Speaker 6: What is he going to do to shut down their nuclear weapons?
Speaker 4: He's fuck concerned with Trump and talks because remember Trump made a big deal of Hamas. When Trump comes in, the hostages will be released. Otherwise he'll unleash hell will Hamas are still in control of the Gaza Strip. The same accusation could be made of Trump's negotiations with Putin that Putin just doesn't seem to believe that Trump will wield the stick as he says he will. And when you're dealing with Iran, you said, can you negotiate with other nations? But of course Iran is a very different nation. It's basically a terrorist organization that run Iran and their commitment to destroying Israel is not an idle threat. It's a religious ideology, it's a worldview, and they've been making threats for a long time now. Nobody wants war. But you can't blame the Israelis for saying, how long will we sit here while the leaders of Iran talk about destroying us as they develop nuclear weapons.
Speaker 3: At some point, enough talk. You've got to defend yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you don't give Trump a chance to at least try and achieve something. And Trump's ultimate goal is to achieve some level of stability in the Middle East, and you're not even giving it a go. He's made it clear, he told the Ayatoller, if you don't meet my demands, I will get involved militarily. So he's already put that on the table.
Speaker 6: He also told He also told her mass if all the hostages weren't released by the inauguration or hell would break loose, and it didn't, so at some point he has to back up these threats.
Speaker 2: But you have to be somewhat reasonable in these things. I mean, if you want full scale war in the Middle East and I don't, then you can go in and just start throwing bombs and stuff with it.
Speaker 3: And everywhere right.
Speaker 4: Now agree with that characterization. It's not that you want full scale war in the war.
Speaker 3: In the Middle East.
Speaker 4: It's you don't want a nuclear bomb going off in the Middle East, and that's why you would engage in a military action now to prevent the worst military action down the track.
Speaker 2: Of course, but that's also the point of achieving the deal, is to prevent the nuclear bomb from being created. If you are saying that there is no deal that can be struck that will prevent a nuclear bomb from being created, and that simply targeting their infrastructure at the moment will prevent it, I mean that goes straight back to the drawing board. They're not going to stop, so your only other solution is to wipe you around off the face of the planet. Do we want to do that?
Speaker 3: That's what Irana threatening for Israel. So you can understand why the Israelis but of course.
Speaker 2: I understand that. But then you go and do it, and then you end up with full scale war in the Middle East. This is the problem is that you don't actually genuinely solve anyim They'll go on for time immemorial until we actually wipe someone off the face of the planet, and no one really wants to have that discussion because of war.
Speaker 4: Until IRA walk away from their ideological stamps, which they never will. So at some point this blows up. Well it is literally, and who chooses the timing of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally, it blows up. Let's move to some lighter international news. We'll get into the details of King Charles's visit to Canada very shortly, but I could not get over this. Justin Trudeau, of course, until five minutes ago, was the Prime Minister of Canada, so you would think he has some standards, he has some understanding that when you're meeting foreign diplomats and dignitaries, I mean, the king of your country, the head of state of your country, for heaven's sake, that you would dress up for the occasion. But apparently not, because take a look at this. This is what Justin Trudeau rocked up to Parliament wearing today. Look at his shoes. He's wearing sneakers, for goodness sake, green sneakers that I mean seriously, he's wearing a suit. So he's got to all that effort. He's put on the shirt, he's put on the tie, he's put on the suit, he's brushed his hair, and then he gets to the shoes and he's like, now, I'm just going to put my sneakers on today because I want to go for a run before I go and see the King. I mean, for goodness sake, there is no circumstance in which you should wear sneakers or runners or whatever you want to call them with a suit. If you're wearing a suit, you should be wearing leather shoes or boots. It's just the rules. If you go to all that effort, make the effort to actually look decent, and you certainly don't do it when you're going to work or parliament, or, for heaven's sake, to meet the king. Standards have slipped so much.
Speaker 4: I disagree with you, Kelly. There is an you wear them, well, I've got them on right now. But there is a reason why you would wear sneakers at an event where the king is speaking, and the reason is you want everyone to look at you. How else to have the attention on yourself when you've got the King of England there, Well, you commit a.
Speaker 3: Fashion faux pass such as he has done.
Speaker 4: And what are we talking about Before we even get to talking about what the King said. We're talking about justin Trudeau mission accomplished, frail.
Speaker 6: I don't even think the sneakers were the worst part of this. I can tolerate sneakers. I'm a sneaker advocate. But the main problem was the sneakers didn't even match the suit.
Speaker 2: He could have.
Speaker 6: Gone for a tasteful white and nice navy something to compliment.
Speaker 3: Hester and proved my point. They wanted to teach.
Speaker 6: This is a clearly obvious move. He wanted to stand out, he wanted to draw attention from the king, and he didn't even Yeah, see that's look at that that green in that blue they classed.
Speaker 2: But it's the fact that this sneak is at all. I don't care if the Navy or wife or whatever. This is a hill I'm willing to die on. We have to maintain some level of standards in this world or we will end up in a place where everyone goes to work in their pajamas. Before COVID, I didn't wear a tie to work. But then you know, obviously I was working from home for all that time, my pajamas all bloody day, and I got sick of it, so I started wearing a suit and tie to work every day to create a contrast. And I think there is something nice about that because it shows respect for the people around something.
Speaker 3: Were you wearing a suitain tie when you're working from home?
Speaker 2: No, no, no no. When I went back to what you were saying, you've got stuff at home, pajamas, the mood, and I was like, I can't do this anymore. So I wore a certain time of it. But it shows respect to the people around you that I have put in the effort to look good because I take my job seriously and I take my workplace seriously, and I'm sorry, going to work with your sneakers on makes it look like you don't take the job seriously. If you walked into an interview, I'm telling you, and you've got a sneakers on, they will mark you down against the bloke who has a suit and appear not.
Speaker 4: Walking into the studio tonight wearing a T shirt or hoodie. Did you sort of give me the side of it.
Speaker 2: You've been doing it for two and a half hears, so I'm kind of used to it now. But yes, I would never do.
Speaker 6: Fashion standards change over time. What people wear now, especially post COVID. Most people don't even wear suits to work anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm actually with Caleb that it was highly inappropriate, but I know why he did it.
Speaker 3: Do you think it was inappropriate or do you think it was okay.
Speaker 6: For this occasion. I think it's inappropriate, but I defend sneakers in suits. But let's move on and listen to what the King said in the Canadian Parliament. Obviously, in the lead up to the Canadian election, there was a lot of tension with Trump saying that he wanted Canada to become the fifty first state, and in fact, the Prime Minister Mark Conney essentially turned the tide of the election based on these threats from Trump. And so this whole visit from King Charles could kind of be seen as a way to reinforce Canada's position, and this is what the had to say.
Speaker 7: Canada Fairs is another critical moment. Democracy. Pluralism, the rule of law, self determination, and freedom are values which Canadians hold dear and ones which the government is determined to protect.
Speaker 6: So kind of uneventful, kind of what you would expect from a tour of its designed to reinforce Canada against America.
Speaker 3: Kind of ridiculous though, don't you think.
Speaker 4: I mean, the whole thing about Trump making Canada fifty first state of the United States was always a joke. He was ribbing them about their need to pay their fair share. I'm just surprised that Charles took that seriously and gave it sort of that kind of gravitus when most thinking people realized Trump was just being Trump.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing is, King Charles didn't actually write this speech. He was given the speech by the Prime Minister, and the prime minister's whole mandate for reelection was to be the anti Trump, pro Canada candidate. So he's now got to keep up this facade that Canada is under threat from the United States in order to maintain his political relevance.
Speaker 3: Really, it's the.
Speaker 2: Same as when the Governor General opens parliament here.
Speaker 3: I mean, but he still chooses to read it some respect.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it is convention that he reads.
Speaker 4: It's like an invention that you speak the truth, you don't speak rubbish because you've been told to.
Speaker 2: No, you're making it sound like he's just there to be a part.
Speaker 3: Is essentially that like it is, it is.
Speaker 2: Convention that the king or the head of stage or the Governor General in whatever circumstances, reads the opening of the Parliament from the government. It's not the words of the king. It's not the words of the governor.
Speaker 3: Should have rolled his eyes as he read it.
Speaker 2: Look, look, you just we've learned that you have no regard for tradition. Tonight. You think it's okay to wear sneakers with your your suit and men. You think it's it's it's okay to throw away all this tradition about how we open our parlor.
Speaker 4: It gets even worse because have a look at this clip from King Cha. I was reading somebody else's speech the acknowledgment of the traditional owners have listened.
Speaker 7: I would like to acknowledge that we are gathered on the unseeded territory of the Algonquin and the Shinabeg people. It is my great hope that in each of your communities, and collectively as a country, a path is found toward truth and reconciliation in both word and deed.
Speaker 3: Hang on, sower.
Speaker 4: The king just sat there and said, I'm the king of unseeded territory. So is that a dig or is it an admission that maybe he shouldn't be there?
Speaker 6: Well, what does that make him a conqueror? Like I'm not actually sure and what legitimacy does he have now? And the fact is Canada is even more clear than Australia because they've had treaties with the indigenous people as far back as the seventeen hundreds. It is well documented they've had an extensive history of land sales and treaties. So the whole thing honestly preposterous.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it was a humiliation ritual really that they put the king through there, and the sad thing is that he actually has to rock up and do it, you know.
Speaker 3: Well literally just made by point hit.
Speaker 2: But he's a figure hit. I mean, the monarch is always a figurehead. We know that that's not you, James, but it is. It's almost like, at the same time as they're trying to use the King to send a message to the United States, back off. You know, you're you're not going to be one of us, because we're not going to be one of you because we're part of the Commonwealth. While they're using the King to do that, they're at the same time humiliating him by making him say that he's on unseated land. I mean, you know, have some respect for the guy if you want him to be useful for you when you want him to be useful.
Speaker 4: So all of a sudden, justin Trudeau sneakers were not the most disrespectful part of it.
Speaker 2: There were many disrespectful parts.
Speaker 6: And honestly, it was so funny looking at all the reactions to this on X because I've never seen so many leftists supporting the monarchy as they are now. It's crazy to see. But let's move on now to Victoria, where the chief executive of Santos has compared Victoria to North Korea. Take a listen to this.
Speaker 8: But if I think about Queensland, Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, these are actually very supportive jurisdictions, They're.
Speaker 3: Very development friendly.
Speaker 8: Victoria, Victoria, North Korea, They're in a different categories altogether.
Speaker 6: I mean, is he wrong when you have blanket bans on gas connections in new homes and businesses, it is essentially uninvestible, extensive government control over almost every aspect of the gas industry.
Speaker 3: He might be right, No.
Speaker 4: I think it's very unfair on North Korea to say that. He went on to say if he had a dollar to invest in Australia or in Papua New Guinea in the same circumstance, the same business, he wouldn't hesitate to spend that in Parpa New Guinea because he was confident that he could get the project approved and finished. He had no such confidence regarding Victoria. I must say he copped a lot of stick for that comment. Victoria's Energy minister called him hysterical and said that the comment was unhinged, and he later joked he said, maybe I shouldn't have said that, Perhaps I need some more media training. But I think he's handled that very well. He's got a headline that's in all the major newspapers and made his point it's very difficult to do business in Victoria and increasingly companies such as his, which is one of the largest energy companies in the country just choosing not to.
Speaker 2: And Gallagher is a straight shooter and a very good operator and has been a very good boss at Santos, and you can hardly blame him. I mean, I think we've all seen Gcinta Amen or should it be Jinto jong Un recently. I think we've got a photograph of her here there we go and it's not real. I don't need to point that out, but that's sort of where Victoria is going. And you can't forget the Andrews government in twenty seventeen put a ban on gas exploration in Victoria and that went through to twenty twenty one. It's still banned. Fracking and Colson gas exploration is still banned in Victoria. And so of course even people who want to invest in Victoria are like, well, why would I bother? Because you know the government's already done at once, so they could always do it again and say no, gas exploration is off. And just from every perspective, it's so difficult to invest in Victoria. We talked last night. I think it was about the treasure of Jacqueline Sim's asking a property council breakfast what their favorite tax was, which was a great window into exactly how they are thinking. But you know, you want to talk about tax land tax in Victoria. For instance, my accountant, good Evening, mister Morgan, has a client who had a property in Melbourne, not a principal place of residence, but an investment property on a sizeable piece of land, and the land tax on that property used to be five thousand dollars. Of course, Daniel Andrew's changed the rules around land tax and changed it from the threshold was three hundred k down to fifty k for a value of property, et cetera. The land tex on that property is now forty two thousand dollars. So a few years ago it's five thousand, now it's forty two thousand. So why would you invest in property in Victoria? Why would you invest in gas exploration when until five minutes ago it was banned to do so It's like they don't want people to invest in Victoria, which is so dumb, because it's the only way they'll ever get themselves out of the great debtthole in which they find themselves is to get real business and investment generating in the state so they can make some genuine income. They just keep driving it away.
Speaker 3: Melbourne will become known as a Phenong Peng of the South.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about a story from the UK that really got my attention today. Here's a question, how old is too old to have a baby? And I don't mean to naturally conceive a baby. I suppose biology and nature determine the answer to that question.
Speaker 3: But have a look at this headline.
Speaker 4: A couple in their seventies in the UK have won the right to parent a surrogate baby. Now, this couple, man and a woman of seventy two years of age. They used the man's sperm and a donut egg to have a child, which was then impregnate or to conceive. It was impregnated in a surrogate in the US who gave birth to the baby, and now the couple have been legally approved to parent this surrogate.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The reason they did this, they said, was because they had a son who died in twenty twenty at the age of twenty seven. He died of cancer, and they said they've always missed him, and so as a way of helping to deal with their own grief, they really wanted another child, and so this is what they've done.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Having a baby at age seventy two means this child will start primary school when they are seventy six, high school when they're eighty two. And this child on his eighteenth birthday, Mom and dad will be eighty nine years of age.
Speaker 3: Freyer their healthy, they're wealthy. Anything wrong with this?
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean now we're at the point where with commercial surrogacy, they're not only ripping this baby away from the woman who gave birth to the child, which is morally questionable in and of itself, they are also depriving the child of having proper parents because they're not the age of parents, they're the age of grandparents or even in some instance's great grandparents.
Speaker 3: This child will be their care yes.
Speaker 6: Correct, and I don't see how that is fair if they are trying to deal with their own grief. That's very sad that they lost their son. But here's an idea, go to counseling, adopt or look after friend's children people in the community. You don't need to bring a life into this world that you are not ready or prepared to care for. It's unfair to the child and this is part of the problem with commercial surrogacy. There are so few safeguards around it, and it's leading to a range of issues from you know, who can qualify to become parents, but also human trafficking and the exploitation of women is also a massive issue with sarrogacy. So this is a can of worms that only the twenty first century Western world could open. But it's pretty scary.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's supremely selfish of these two people to decide that, at the age of seventy two they want to have a child, And of course they can't have a child by natural means, because of course, you know, seventy two, you've well and truly been through a menopause, right, And so it's not unusual to have older fathers. But generally you have an older father with a younger mother because she's still of an age where she can conced So even if dad drops off the twig, mom is still around to look after them. Of course, there are circumstances where, completely out of their control, young children lose both parents, say they die in a car accident or whatever. Right, so these situations do happen in other completely different ways. I can't see how the court could get around giving them the child, because because the child has already been born, So what's the court going to say, Ah, yes, this child was created with your sperm, and now it has to disappear into the ether into someone else's arms. That probably wouldn't have been right either, But what goes through your head to think that, Yeah, at the age of seventy two, both of us being seventy two, we're going to pay someone on the other side of the world to have a child for us, like go and get a dog. I get that it's sad that you lost your son, but you have to think about other people in these circumstances. A commercial surrogacy is wrong. That's why it's banned in Australia, and situations like this really shouldn't exist in it.
Speaker 4: So just point out one little hypocrisy, at least I think it is. As I was reading comments on this story today online, a lot of people really outraged about this, and it's not fair on the child. You're bringing a child into the world who's never going to have both parents there. And yet many of those people in left leaning journals and magazines would support same sex couples acquiring a child in the same way, not unhappy at all that the child won't have a mum or perhaps won't have a dad, depending on the sex of the couple. I just think that's a slight double standard in this argument.
Speaker 2: It's a very fair point. Now, of course, last night we talked about the fact that the proposal to sell rose Hill Racecourse for five billion dollars to the state government fell through because the members of the Australian Turf Club said they would prefer to keep it as a racecourse. Chris means, as you can imagine, the Premier of New South Wales is none too pleased about this because he was so looking forward to turning the racecourse into twenty five thousand host Here he was responding this morning.
Speaker 1: The truth of the matter is it feels like the closeness of the result makes it more difficult to take, not easier. And I think it's an opportunity that Sydney's missed out on a few It was like a goal and opportunity that slipped through our fingers. Very disappointed by that, but I accept the decision.
Speaker 2: So with the proposition of trashing the great sport of racing off the agenda, he says, well, I've got a few other ideas.
Speaker 1: We've got proposals that we're getting ready to roll out for more housing closer to Sydney CBD. They're not ready for me to announce today and not everyone will love them, but they're absolutely necessary for Sydney now.
Speaker 2: One of these ideas is to apparently develop the Glebe Island Port in Sydney, which is basically right next to the city. It's in the Rosehill Balmain area right, So it's the only working port left in Sydney, and much like the rose Hill idea, he says, here's a bit of useful operating infrastructure that we currently have that is doing things and we should turn it into housing instead. I've no issue with the idea that. I mean, obviously we need more housing and we'll come to the regional aspect of this in just a moment. But what is with this tunnel vision idea that we must take things that work and are operating and are delivering something for a city and turn them into houses. It's shortsighted. A city is more than just houses. If you want a city that consists of just houses, I don't know, go and live in North Korea where there's not much else to do. But unfortunately we do have to do other things in a city. And having a working port the only working port left in Sydney like, nah, let's just ribble all apart to the houses, there are other bits of land.
Speaker 3: Seems like this is chris Min's only plan.
Speaker 4: First in one of the race course turned into housing that didn't work. Now it's a port turning into housing. If that doesn't work, he says he's got other ideas. I just can't say them yet, but here on the late debate we can let you know. His other ideas are the botanic gardens.
Speaker 3: And if that doesn't work.
Speaker 4: The Sydney Cricket Ground we have turned into housing, and why not those after that?
Speaker 2: Why not knock over the art gallery?
Speaker 6: I know right, No, he does seem to be a little bit obsessed with this. But look, as someone who very recently lived in Rosel, I can tell you that that whole precinct you've also got the White Bay power station and a cruise terminal. It is rather ugly. It is ripe for development, and there is going to be a metro station being put in there. But I do agree when you look at the sums around how much it would cost to relocate the deep water port and the extra costs associated with that, it doesn't really make sense to develop that as housing. The real solution would just be to release more land, ditch this socialist planning system where you have everyone shoved into a small space surrounded by a ring of green that you can't touch, and put everyone in crappy two bedroom apartments, like, why don't we just release more land build family homes? And by the way, family homes are the things people actually want. My generation, we want to be able to have a family in a free standing house with a backyard, but we are not being allowed to do that, and instead there's a subsession with building two bedroom skyscrape which doesn't meet the needs of real people.
Speaker 4: Well, if you want your traditional Aussie home, the solution is to get out of the capital cities and move to a regional city, and increasingly Australians are doing that. Twenty five percent more people are moving from capital cities to regional centers than the other way around. Geelong is now the most popular regional center for people to move to internal migration in Australia nine point three percent of people moving within the country and moving to Geelong. Sunshine Coast comes in second and Lake Macquarie is third. I don't blame people at all. As someone who lived in Townsall for ten years and I got a bit when I moved to Townsville. I thought I'm moving to the ends of the earth. My life is over. But I'll tell you what I loved it. It was ten minutes to anywhere. If you have to drive fifteen minutes, you're like, oh, this is forever. These days, fifteen minutes gets you one kilometer. In Sydney, you knew half the community, your kids felt safe out on the streets. It was a wonderful life. And increasingly people are finding if you want the sort of Australia that we all knew, that you've got to get out of these condensed cities and into regional centers.
Speaker 3: And more and more people are saying that's the way to.
Speaker 2: Go, and it is the solution. And I don't know why we don't talk about this more. What is with this obsession with putting everyone in the capital cities. You look at the United States, and I will preface this by saying that the United States has some of the most densely populated cities in the world. But you look across the expanse of the United States and it is fundamentally a country of small towns. They have dotted all over the country, Whereas here, you know, Sydney, you've got Woollongong and the Newcastle, Adelaide's got murray Bridge, Melbourne's got Geelong, and Brisbane's got the Sunshine Coast and the Gold.
Speaker 3: Coast, and the Gold Coast is a rat race.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, But largely we just stay in the cities. We haven't created these small centers. That is the solution. There's land, cheap land available. We keep all these margarets coming in, and we shouldn't have coming in, by the way. But just you can't go to the city, You've got to go to a region. Bugger off.
Speaker 6: Well, part of the problem is that the government hasn't been willing to build the infrastructure to connect the regions to the cities, and that's what's really holding it back. Plus they are unwilling to release more land in a lot of cases. But let's move on now to another story taking place in Melbourne. Two transgender netball players have been banned from a local netballing league after it was determined that their biological maleness meant that their size and stamina was a danger and an unfair advantage over other female players. Now you might think, ah, maybe you're just exaggerating, how bad can it really be? But check this out.
Speaker 2: Out.
Speaker 6: As you can see there she is clearly a well the biological or male player in the blue is clearly significantly larger than the female opponents, literally knocking one player onto the ground. Now, I must say it's refreshing to see a sporting league actually come out and defend women's rights to safety in sport. But meanwhile, while this competition has banned transgender players, Netball Victoria is still conducting a review into whether it is actually safe for transgender people to play against women. I don't get what's so controversial about this. All you have to do is watch that video to go this is not.
Speaker 3: Fair that local league really had to ban that.
Speaker 4: There's two transgender players who have now been banned for the rest of the year because other teams were threatened to boycott. So it's going to destroy the competition. But you're right, Victorian Netbull, who oversee the whole sport where they're conducting an investigation which they say must be thorough and considered.
Speaker 3: I don't know how thorough it needs to be.
Speaker 4: We just saw video of the blatant obvious biological males have an advantage.
Speaker 3: They put out a.
Speaker 4: Statement, Victorian Netball saying we continue to support our lgbtt LGBTQ plus.
Speaker 2: Community forgive you that way.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and we're committed to providing a safe and inclusive netball environment for all our participants. The thing I can't understand is why their emphasis still even after video footage like that. Their instinctive response is all but we're very inclusive and we're very much concerned about the LGBTQ community.
Speaker 3: What about the girls playing.
Speaker 2: The sport fairness? I suppose it's just not a virtue these days. I mean that chap is built like a brick, you know what, house like. Do we really need to investigate whether or not it is unsafe to put biological males on the court with women? It just seems very strange. And speaking of these matters, props to this young fella in the United States, Liam Morrison. He's taken case all the way to the Supreme Court where it's being chucked out. But he was fighting a free speech case on the basis that he went to school wearing a shirt that had a factual statement on it. And this is how you come to this position where you have to investigate whether or not it's too dangerous to have men on the netball court. There's the shirt there, whether it's too dangerous to have men on the netball court with women? Because we can't actually talk about facts anymore. Here he is describing exactly what happened.
Speaker 9: What did my shirts say? Fathooble words? There are only two genders, nothing harmful, nothing threatening, just to steam, and I believe to be a fact. I have been told that my shirt was targeting a protected class? Who is this protected class? Are their feelings more important than my rates?
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court refused to hear the case. They upheld the decision of the first Circuit court, which said the school was right to tell him to take it off because it could be harmful to others students. I mean, you know we're in a position now. Were it harmful to say the truth?
Speaker 3: Please? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean it's a biological fact, isn't it. It's not a political statement. So next he'll be banned from wearing a shirt that says the sky is blue because someone takes exception to it. And the other question I've got is, if you can't wear a T shirt saying there are only two genders? Could you wear a T shirt saying there are only three genders or only ten genders? Or could you wear a T shirt saying there are infinite an indefinite number of genders. There are at least at least two genders. At what point are they going to give permission? In this same school, of course, pushes the whole pride concept. All the gay activists sort of days are celebrated in this school. But when a kid turns up with a biological fact on his T shirt, kids get upset and so he's sent home.
Speaker 6: And it's interesting to see how in these cases, time and time again, they only care about the concerns of a select minority group. When they're running Pride day, I doubt they're worrying about how offensive that might be for Christian or Muslim students. But when someone rocks up with a statement of fact on their T shirt, oh no, that's too far.
Speaker 4: Speaking of going too far in the consideration of other people's feelings, just before we go to the break, a professor from London University. He's an expert on food policy. His name is Professor Tim Lang. He's been talking about the need for countries to stockpile food in case of the apocalypse or nuclear explosion or some sort of natural disaster. And that makes sense, but because of you won't believe what he said. He actually said that the UK need to not just stock food, but particularly they need to stop food to make sure that vegans and Muslims with their halal food are taken care of.
Speaker 3: Because he said, if you go through.
Speaker 4: A psychological shock like an earthquake or a nuclear war, and then you've gone through all of that and then the food that the government gives you is well not vegan friendly or not hallal compliant, I mean that would just add shocked to shock and you would not cope.
Speaker 3: Is this the most.
Speaker 4: Fragile or slash entitled generation in history? Imagine getting it to the apocalypse. You survive, but you're pissed off because they haven't got your favorite food.
Speaker 2: Well, I just imagine all the GFD if people feel really left out too, because you know, their problems are just as legitimate as the others are they seriously, you just be glad to get anything exactly.
Speaker 3: We're to go to a break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we look at what's making news tomorrow, including victorious Maschetti band results in greater sales of machetes.
Speaker 3: That's at a moment.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the program. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. Will start with the Daily Telegraph, here in New South Wales, and I got to say I'm not that excited about reading this headline. I'll try to read it with enthusiasm, but as a former Queenslander.
Speaker 3: It's not easy.
Speaker 4: Just good to Oh is Brian to Oh, the New South Wales player who scored an important try in tonight's game, which of course was won by New South Wales eighteen to six. Blues draw first blood in sun Corp epic. So there you go, three game series. New South Wales lead one nil. Haven't seen the Career Males front page for tomorrow, but I suspect it won't be quite as triumphant as that of the Daily Telegram.
Speaker 2: Well they could just do a quite similar headline, just go to oh, you know, that's how you'd be feeling if you were in Quex right now, wouldn't you. Let's go to the front of the OS tomorrow where it says Lee's target not a lot of net zero. Susan Lee has declared she will not pursue a net zero missions target at any cost as she faces a backbench push to go to the next election with about a pull out of the Paris Climate Agreement. The new opposition leader on Tuesday unveiled a shadow cabinet that promoted factional supporters and dumped prominent women who opposed to leadership, hours after signing a new coalition agreement with the National that ended almost a week of internal warfare. Can I just say something, Well, no, no, you you're going to shut up.
Speaker 3: Go on.
Speaker 4: She will not pursue that zero. She won't pursue NET zero at any cost. Or she won't pursue zero at any cost. It's a little bit confused.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, she's what she's saying.
Speaker 3: First I got excited when I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, Well, what she was saying today essentially was that she agrees with the idea that we need to combat climate change, et cetera, but we can't do it at any cost, right, we do actually need to take account of what it means to the people. So she is kind of opening the doors potentially getting rid of NED zero. But that's a decision that the party room will have to make, and obviously they will do in conjunction. We've got Nationals. But the shadow cabinet and shadow ministry that she unveiled today few curious decisions in there. I think, you know, people like Claire Chandler good operators who were dumped.
Speaker 3: Hum.
Speaker 2: Well, you can kind of understand why Jane Hume got the punt after she came up with the working from home policy that was so distractive during the campaign.
Speaker 3: Or was it the backflip that was destructive?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean they backflipped on the basis of the polling, and the polling I don't think was wrong, but it made them look either they went went out and they went out with a piece of policyat that wasn't popular, and then they looked even weaker by walking back.
Speaker 6: Jamimes is also one of their best media performers. So that's the other challenge that I think they're going to face. They've lost some good media performance, Jane's Hume, just enter Price as well.
Speaker 4: And there's less women in their shadow cabin now than there were. So all this talk about we're going to connect with women, what happened to that? And she's got rid of as you said, just in the NAPA. Gymber Prices is out well, Gizelle, but she's not in the shadow ministry.
Speaker 6: I mean, Gizelle Captarian hasn't even won the seat of Bradfield yet and she's in the outer shadow ministry. So it is interesting. I mean, this is definitely a shadow ministry about rewarding one's friends and dampening one's foes. So it'll be interesting to.
Speaker 2: See how there were a few decent apployments. So I think I think Tim Wilson to small business makes sense. I think Dan Teene will do well.
Speaker 3: In Andrew Hasty is out of defense.
Speaker 2: But he's into home affairs though, and that is a serious portfolio.
Speaker 3: I know Aison he was great in that portfolio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he'll do great. I mean, look, they're all good operators and they will all do great things. But you know, Barnaby Joyce not being part of it, you know, and Barnaby Joyce is a good effective well Canavan wouldn't want it, I don't think. But Barnaby Joyce I think is better inside the tent than out of it. Another story on the front. While we're talking about defense of the old Tomorrow, Labour's defense disconnect leaves nation guarded by a paper ADF is Aspy's warning. Labour's focus on future military capabilities and it's business as usual defense budget will leave Australia with a paper ADF that is ill prepared for near term conflict and new report warns The Australian Strategic Policy Institute says the pre are prioritization sorry of long term defense programs such as ORCUS has come at the expense of present day readiness, leaving a hollow out force with limited munition stockpiles and a shortage of critical capabilities including missile defense systems and long range weapons. And you know it is marked as an exclusive story on the front of the Odds tomorrow, and it's a good report by Asby. But you've got to say, we already knew this, didn't we.
Speaker 4: There's one line in this article that I really like. He says, when the Labor Party talked about excuse me, talk about making a you're gonna have to take I've just lost my voice.
Speaker 6: You go, well, I think this is definitely something we've all known, and under the last government there have been I think it was over forty billion dollars of cuts and reprioritization of capabilities in the Defense Force to try and pay for ORCUS. But this is the problem. You can't bring on a massive new project like ORCUS without increasing your overall spend because what that means is you're just going to have to suck money out of other things. So our defense spending of two percent is woefully low. And this report just confirms.
Speaker 3: That I got my voice back. I've got to tell you this line. He said.
Speaker 4: When you see the Labor Party talking about how they're making a generational investment, what they mean is the next generation will have to do it because we're not doing it right now.
Speaker 2: And it has been thus for quite some time. Another story on the front of the oars miners and critical minerals producers will be hit by Labour's unrealized capital gains tax as self managed super funds will pull millions of dollars out of high risk businesses such as exploration companies, warm the chief executives of resources companies and their investors, and again I get it's a cash grab, but I just don't see how it's going to work. I was talking to a mate of mind tonight who will be hit by all of this, and he's saying, look, I'm just going to have to start ripping stuff out of my super fund and I'll put it elsewhere. You know, he's got a business in his super fund, so I'll just pull that out and it'll just exist under my name and instead of paying thirty percent or pay the twenty five percent corporate.
Speaker 6: Well, another area where this is super confusing is startups. If you're super annuation company invests in a startup that suddenly goes up massively in value, you're all going to be landed with a huge tax bill and then what if the next year it goes bust, then you don't get that money back. So it's pretty nuts. But let's move on now to the Herald Sun, where the headline is blunt force. Brazen retailers are flouting the Allen government's machete sale ban as the Premier faces mounting pressure over her decision this week to not fast track making it illegal to possess the deadly weapon. Despite the retail ban coming into effect at noon on Wednesday, the Herald Sun was able to buy long bladed items across Melbourne for as little as four dollars. Seven stores from Richmond to spring Vale still have the lethal items on offer, with one selling three long blades for just seventeen dollars and seventy cents. I mean, we kind of knew this was coming. How do you enforce a ban? That's the whole problem, and won't all these kids just rushed to buy machetes.
Speaker 3: And winja center.
Speaker 4: Ellen was asked on Monday, why wouldn't you apply the ban immediately other than wait until noon on Wednesday. She said we wanted to give retailers time. She didn't say the next part to discount their blades so they could get rid of them. And so if you're a gang member in Melbourne, happy days, four bucks for a blade.
Speaker 3: It's really good going. So there you go.
Speaker 2: What did they think would happen? Really? Oh? Oh god?
Speaker 4: So it's a story Victorian labor party though unintended consequences in pretty much every area.
Speaker 2: Now, now you know what else you can't sell in Victoria illegal cigarettes, and yet you can buy them in every convenience store in the state.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Tasmani. The front page of the Hobart Mercury headline reads troubled waters fairies face more delays.
Speaker 3: I can't believe this story.
Speaker 4: Tasmania's replacement bas straight fairies will remain on the other side of the world for an indefinite period while repairs are made to fixate problem uncovered during sea trials. Now, these fairies were supposed to be completed in twenty twenty one, where now what twenty twenty five, and they're hoping to have them now by well, we don't know when we'll get them. The problem originally was that the port in Tasmania was not sufficient to take these new fairies. The port was meant to be ninety million dollars to renovate. It's now blown out to four hundred and ninety three million dollars. Won't be ready until October twenty twenty six. So take all of that and Tasmanians are paying five hundred million dollars a year to have these fairies sit ones in Scotland. I think the other ones in Ireland or wherever it is idle waiting for the port to be built.
Speaker 2: And I think the Irish wanted to float it and turn it into a refugee camp today while they waited. You send it the Anians.
Speaker 4: We're going to lease it out as a refugee camp and then finally get it.
Speaker 6: Back to probably the infrastructure.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to go to a break. When we come back, we're going to show you dope of the day.
Speaker 4: You won't believe what this Melbourne criminal did to himself that's coming up in a moment. We don't talk about Russian TV too often, but Fray, they've got a new cartoon that is of interest in the.
Speaker 3: Country of Russia. They do well.
Speaker 6: I think everyone's concerned about how we instill patriotism into our children. The Russians have really taken this on and one of their most infamous propagandists have produced a new cartoon for children to teach them about geopolitics and the world. Some of the characters featured include Donald Trump, Elon Musk, and Kim Jong Un.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Must the Muscape bullets.
Speaker 6: So those are all the world leaders in a like a babyface filter meeting on a zoom call to discuss geopolitics, which is pretty hilarious. But as I was watching that, I got a bit upset and I thought, well, where were Albanese's invite if he World leader propaganda Zoom summit. And so you know, we did a bit of mocking up on Ai behind the scenes, and this is what we reckon. He would look like he'd probably get on there and lecture them on how they could also instill Marxist identity politics into their constitutions as well.
Speaker 2: The poor bag has already gone gray as a baby, and he does versifully have a little more here than you, James, though I think actually that is giving him a bit of a free ride because he's here, isn't all that much different to yours, James, if you look at him from.
Speaker 3: Behind, just get on with the show.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just an occupational hazard. You've got to deal with it, James. HR will deal with me later. No they won't. I have a perfect record of course. Actually actually become a big thing as well. Now people are doing this with like other clips, they get AI to generate baby versions. I've seen it of like Clarkson's farm and top gear and stuff. It's quite amusing really. Speaking of amusing, we're going to bring you a new segment that we call Dope of the Day Dog and there will be plenty of entries I'm sure over the coming months and days. But the one I have for you today is a particular fellow down in Melbourne. Now he carried out this attack last year in May that the coppers are still looking for him. So he rocks up to a restaurant in Campbellfilld the Almjean Restaurant, which, for some reason or another. He decided it would be a good idea to set on fire. So he breaks through the front door and palls around the petrol or whatever xellerant he has and gets out the match and lights it up and boom goes the restaurant and he decides, oh god, I've got to get myself out of this position now. So he walks out of the restaurant on fire and he's trying to get in the car and you can see he's on fire trying to get in the car. The head he goes, no, I got to get down and do the stop, drop and roll. And it's not the first time we've seen an example of this. We showed one ages ago again in Melbourne, I think where they'd gone after a tobacconist and you can see the blow. I mean, look at him there, pouring it all over himself as he's trying to get away, sits himself on fire. They don't send their brightest minds in to do these jobs.
Speaker 3: I think it's called karma. I think.
Speaker 2: I don't think he would have filled any karma after he left the restaurant.
Speaker 3: Put it that way, Well, that's all we've got time for. But stick around Coming up is the readA Pennety Show, good Night