Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: General, welcome to the Late to Play.
Speaker 1: Well, good evening and thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with kayleb Bond and filling in for Liz storer Is Lucy Zeleek. Great to have your company. We've got a lot to get through tonight, including Scott Morrison's family photo album was accidentally thrown out bought by a Guide knopshop, but he doesn't want to return it. We'll talk about whether or not he's doing the right thing a little later. Plus, when we get to the papers, a foreign born contract killer guilty of two murders gets to stay in Australia because of Labour's bungling of visa laws and Anthony Alberenese's two point four billion dollar gift to his labor mate in South Australia. All of that when we look at what's making news tomorrow. But first let's talk about citizenship ceremonies, because I always thought the Labor government didn't care that much about citizenship ceremonies. After all, when Anthony Albeneze came to power, one of the first things he did was to tell local councils you can hold your ceremonies whenever you want January twenty six, maybe not, doesn't matter. You do what you like, how you like. But all of a sudden, thanks to poor polling and an election about to be called, citizenship ceremonies have become very, very important to the Albanezi government. Forget local councils, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke, he will be holding them himself and he will hold them now. It's just come to light that in Western Sydney Tony Burke will be personally hosting three days of citizenship ceremonies where he will give out certificates to six thousand brand new Australians at Olympic Park. I'm starting to wonder whether on the back of those certificates there will be a how to vote card signed with love from your friends in the Labor Party. I'm not sure that's the case, but you wouldn't put it past them. Peter Dutton, speaking today, says this thinks to high Heaven. Clearly they're trying to stack the electorate.
Speaker 3: I just question whether there has been any slackening of the process, whether there has been any compromise on the security checks, and whether it's in our country's best interests for people to receive citizenship before the proper security checks have been undertaken, or people have had within the Home Affairs Department the time to be able to conduct the searches that we would expect to be conducted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Opposition leader's got a point. I don't know if it's in Australia's interest to push these citizenship ceremonies through, but it's probably in Labour's interest, especially in Western Sydney where the Muslim Votes organization is threatening labor seats. And that's before we talk about the Greens. You've got to be four years in Australia before you're eligible for citizenship. But just the other day we're talking about the fact that fully one third of people sitting Australian citizenship tests fail the test. As we've seen recently, a person who arrived in this country age twelve, now in his early twenties was responsible for threatening Jewish patients that they could be killed at a hospital in Western Sydney, and Bromwin Bishop made the point on this channel earlier in the week that maybe we ought to wait a little longer before we give out citizenship status to new arrivals, just to make sure, because there's a difference between being a citizen and being Australian. Caleb, this really does stink. There's no reason for them to rush this through other than as I said, they're looking not to stack branches but to stack the electorate.
Speaker 4: Well, there is one good thing about this, and bear with me for a minute. Tony Burke has done us a favor here because he has demonstrated to state governments that you can actually take powers away from councils if only they take that more seriously and not just do it relaionship ceremonies. He said, I want it, I'm going to do it. Why go the state government do that the councils all the time? The world would be a much better place. But the fact that it's happening, specifically in Western Sydney, I think is what really makes this stinking. Okay, we've got an election coming up, we want to get people through.
Speaker 2: Before that date.
Speaker 4: And you might well say, okay, people have been hanging around waiting a long time for their citizenship and they probably like to vote in the coming election because they filled out the forms and they passed the test and so they probably deserve it, and that's all fine. But when you specifically say we're going to take all these councils in Western Sydney where we're worried about our votes and where the polling shows we're currently in a bit of trouble and we're going to move twelve thousand of you through right now, just before we call the election, you might just.
Speaker 2: Think there was something fishy about it, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: I mean, mister Burke, he's not Tony Burke, he's Tony Biden. He's doing what he's doing what the Dems were doing before the presidential election. There were states like Texas were trying to clean up their elector roles and the Biden administration took them to court to prevent them from taking a legal migrant.
Speaker 1: To be fair, Tony Birk's dealing with people who are alive.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: But clearly he's taken a page out of the Biden and nomics. But playaboo key because he's clearly recognized that right now we need to really pay attention to the labor heartland here in the West of Sydney and ensure that we have a stranglehold when it comes to the election in these particular votes. But why do you think that all those illegal immigrants were flooding the boarders over there in the US because they knew that this was going to be away for them, particularly with just how poor their system is over there and that you don't have to officially register or show any type of documentation pre Trump. Now, of course it's been one of the biggest talking points for him, But now this is something that stinks so badly that for me, even if you are a labor voter, this is something that frustrates me so much about people in politics right and those of us who look at this, whether you have voted Liberal or Labor your whole lives, to really remove yourself from this attachment to the party that you have potentially been rusted on too and voted for all of these years, and look at their behaviors, look at their policies. Is this something that you'd be proud of? Is this something that you look at and go, oh, this doesn't look dodgy at all. It's just trying to wave through all these people so that he can get them to vote for the Labor Party in this year being a federal election.
Speaker 2: It's just yuck.
Speaker 5: And if you're not grossed.
Speaker 6: Out by this in politics, and if these are your politicians and people you're historically voting for, then this is the time now to get on the yuck train, because it's ended straight for hell.
Speaker 5: As far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: It's not like Peter Dutton has nothing sorry, Tony Burke has nothing to do. He's the Immigration minister, he's the Home Affairs minister. God knows we've got enough problems in those areas at the moment. So for a senior government minister to the vote not one, not two, but three days to hang out at Olympic Park shaking hands of new voters citizens certainly shows where his priorities are right now. They're not the national interest becoming.
Speaker 4: Election indeed, and of course it's a great opportunity for him to get himself in front of two thousand potential voters, right.
Speaker 2: And that's also why because the councilors and our.
Speaker 4: Spitting chips and saying, oh, well, we've had the right taken away from us to host these ceremonies that we were going to do, and the mayors are equally upset that they don't get to put their faces in front of these people because it's an opportunity to press the flesh. But that's exactly how Burke will be treading it. This is an opportunity to get twelve thousand potential voters to look him in the eye and shake his hand. And the power that kind of thing when you are canvassing for votes is so important by.
Speaker 2: The way he wants to do it.
Speaker 1: If you had the national interest at heart and you want to help these people become Australians, and you do the right thing, and you have your coalition equivalent on stage with you, and you shake hands together, and you do it as a sign of unity.
Speaker 5: That's their agender.
Speaker 1: That's not help Peon who thought about the country right than himselves.
Speaker 6: No, dude was coming in like the White Knight on the second.
Speaker 5: I am I'm the reason count dreams.
Speaker 4: He's so idealist, James sometimes so idealistic.
Speaker 2: Will slowly keep me out of you.
Speaker 4: I thought you started your career as a journalist, right, you should.
Speaker 2: Be cynical like me. No, No, it was somehow, somehow he missed that little bit of training when he has.
Speaker 1: Got to be cheople in this country.
Speaker 4: While we're talking about the alban Easy government, let's talk about their social media band Because the e Safety Commissioner that E. Karen as she is, who keeps an eye on what we're doing online and then makes recommendations about how our rights and freedoms should be taken away from us, has done a survey of how many children are actually using social media right now and how many of them are avoiding the age restrictions that are already in place, and would you believe it, it's a hell of a lot of them. According to a new Safety sorry Commission report, about eighty percent of kids aged eight to twelve, or one point three million children, accessed one or more social media services last year in breach of existing limits of thirteen years old on most platforms.
Speaker 2: Who would a thunk it? Kids quite inventive, know how to get around.
Speaker 4: Things limits rules. Who cares about them? We'll just go on it anyway. But the government says this is all the more reason we need to bring in our rules to ban kids from using social media. The Communications Minister, Michelle Roland says adding the new age limit restrictions would help parents navigate these challenges with their kids. Parents can feel empowered to have conversations with their children about having social media accounts and.
Speaker 2: Simply say no, it's not allowed.
Speaker 4: Now, look, Michelle, I will admit I haven't looked into your family status. I don't know whether you.
Speaker 2: Have any children.
Speaker 1: You have children.
Speaker 4: There you go, James' into it. He knows she has two children. At least, you know. He might be idealistic, but he has done some research that I failed to do before the show. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: She's got two.
Speaker 4: Children, so surely she would know that simply saying to kids, know, it's not allowed doesn't always work. And also saying the kids, actually, it's illegal doesn't always work because rules are already in place that say they shouldn't be using social media.
Speaker 2: But somehow they're going to waive the magic government long. Can I tell them you're going to be fixed?
Speaker 6: Can I tell you what I found to be the most hysterical about.
Speaker 1: All of this?
Speaker 6: And I love this the quote that came out of it. A handful of platforms are increasingly adopting proactive tools to identify underage users, such as.
Speaker 5: Analysis of vocabulary, emoji.
Speaker 6: Use, location patterns indicating school attendance, and time spent playing online games or watching cartoons popular among children.
Speaker 5: That's me and my husband like color.
Speaker 6: Seriously, I'm watching cartoons.
Speaker 5: With my kids.
Speaker 6: I mean, some of my emoji use has been pretty done embarrassing as well, left, right and center, almost an overuse of emojis. But if that these are your proactive tools, these are your spidey senses, tingling that perhaps this user may be underage. If that's all you've got, that's pretty absurd, right.
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: And I think was it Barry Goldwater, the late Republican senator who said, and I love this quote, government should.
Speaker 5: Stay the hell out of people's business. I'm a parent, Let me parent my children.
Speaker 6: And when it comes to it, if they want social media, guess what not in my house, sweetheart.
Speaker 5: And these are my rules, and for as long as you live under this roof, you will abide by them. So that's what we need to be doing.
Speaker 6: We need to be empowering parents with the tools and encouraging them.
Speaker 5: To actually parent.
Speaker 6: Hello, it's a novel idea out there Australia, but you can do it.
Speaker 4: And my big mister Elbow said you shouldn't go on the social media. So that's the end of it isn't it. Very elbow tells you that's.
Speaker 1: A funny thing. Right, So Michelle Rowlands imagines that, you know, it's pretty hard to get your kids to do what you want because they don't respect you. But if you tell them the E Safety Commissioner, she says you're not allowed to be on a social media account, suddenly you're thirteen fourteen year old daughters. Oh oh well, if the commission says, then I won't touch it. The problem they have is that this same review by the E Safety Commission found that of all of these kids on social media who ought not to have been, fifty four percent of them, you know how they access social media accounts through their parents' account. This is a parenting issue, and so educate parents on the dangers, educate parents on some things that they could do, but leave the role to mums and dads, because trying to police it is never going to work. The only way they can do it, and they've already canvassed it, is to impinge upon everybody's freedom. Yes, give the job to mums and dads. Do that. My kids didn't get a smartphone until they were thirteen years old. Even now, I think that was probably still too young, but they were old compared to all of their friends who had had them, and they winged and whined and said it's not fair. But they did that about ice creams, they did that about bedtime, kids do that about everything. Parent your kids. You're not their friend, you're not their mate, You're their parent. Be a parent, and the government should be helping people to recognize that, rather than taking responsibility off them and treating parents like, oh, we know you can't discipline your children, let us help you do it. Just here here, let's talk about the anti Semitism summit that was held today, and I have to say, as Sky News staff, it makes you incredibly proud to work for a network that stages something like this that is so important at this time in our nation's history. Was organized by Shari Marson and Alex Rivchen. Both of them did an outstanding job with some brilliant guests. We'll talk about some of the highlights and low lights in just a moment, but have listened to Shary Marx and our Sky News colleague. She introduced the summit. Here's some of what she had to say.
Speaker 7: The idea that we be confronting violent extremism driven by an irrational hatred would have once seemed unthinkable and absurd, and it is absurd. We are here today because we will not accept this as our new reality. We won't tolerate feeble action any longer.
Speaker 1: Sherry markson like ninety nine percent of the speakers spoke with heart, spoke with passion, spoke with conviction, and gave the subject the Duke gravitus that it deserves. Have listened to former Prime Minister John Howard. He was talking about the fact that anti Semitism is such a specific form of bigotry, you've got to call it out specifically. None of this generalization that we've been accustomed to over the past fifteen months.
Speaker 8: This is not something that can be allowed to just fester in the belief it will go away, And it was not something that could be dealt with by general denunciations of discrimination. The atrocity of the seventh of October twenty twenty three saw the largest number of Jewish people's slaughters in the Holocaust.
Speaker 1: That's the fact. I was sitting at the synagogue today listening at the summit, and John Howard got up to speak, and you thought a leader, a leader we haven't seen a leader for so long in this country. Then our Attorney General got up, who's supposed to be a leader, and he began, well, you know how he'll begin.
Speaker 9: I begin by acknowledging the traditional owners of the land on which we meet, and pay my respects to their illness past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and torrest right island to people here today. I acknowledge the many distinguished people participating in today's Sky News Anti Semitism summit.
Speaker 1: When the most senior labor figure, in fact, I think the only federal labor figure at the summit, got up to speak. He's the most senior lawmaker in this country, and God knows we've got some problems with the laws in this country. When he gets up and he begins with I want to acknowledge, etc. So that you could hear the audible groans, everybody thought, here we go, and they weren't wrong.
Speaker 9: The Australian Government stands with Jewish Australians in the fight against anti Semitism whenever and wherever it occurs. The Australian Government has expressly condemned words and acts of hate directed at Jewish people. The Albanezy government has not just talked about anti semitism. We have acted and we will keep acting.
Speaker 1: Let's start with some credit for the Attorney General. He did turn up to what I suppose he probably knew would be a hostile audience. So points for being there, I guess that's something.
Speaker 5: Why are you giving him points for that?
Speaker 1: Because I'm trying to be generous. But I'll get to my criticism now.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think he need to be though.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you're right, he probably he is doing his job.
Speaker 6: He needs to front up, he needs to be. They're not giving him points for doing the bare minimum.
Speaker 1: James, Yeah, fair cop, fair call. Well, you know, I don't know at what point in his speech he decided he shouldn't have been there, but fairly early on it looked like he just decided, you know what, I'm going to read this speech, get through it and get out of here as fast as I can. Because for all intents and purposes, he could have been reading from the phone book. He had that little passion, that little concern would probably if.
Speaker 4: He'd read from the phone book, because you would have been able to call them up and probably get a little more sense out of them him.
Speaker 2: And even when he was doing.
Speaker 4: The acknowledgment of country, he had like a smirk on his face as the crowd sort of jeered him a bit, almost like he wanted it.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh, yes, good, I knew this was going to happen.
Speaker 4: It proves all the points I came here to make that they don't really want to hear from me. But can you blame the audience for jeering him in the way they did when they have a bloke and you know, I know he's kind of the whipping boy that the Labor Party puts up because he's a Jewish man himself. So well, we'll send you off to the summit.
Speaker 1: You can go and talk to the Jews.
Speaker 4: Right, So he rocks up and all these people are incensed as well they should be that the federal government has done very little about anti Semitism for fifteen months that Albaneze danced around at more flip flops than Bondai Beach.
Speaker 2: He was over here, he's over there.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, it's a problem, but Islamophobia is a problem as well. And oh, you know, I'll eventually go and visit the synagogue after it's been five bombed, it took me a week to do it, et cetera. Right, he has just had no moral clarity whatsoever on any of this, and he rocks up and he almost indignant that people gendered him what did you expect was going to happen? And after he was invited? Right, this is an event held by sky News. He is an invited guest of Charry Marksen and Alex Rivchen and sky News. And he has the goal towards the end of his speech to say, oh, the issue of anti Semitism should not be weaponized to get television ratings.
Speaker 9: Take a look, anti Semitism cannot and must not be weaponized in the pursuit of votes. It must not be weaponized in the pursuit of newspaper sales or TV ratings either.
Speaker 2: Now what did he mean by that?
Speaker 4: What do you mean it should not be weaponized in the pursuit of newspaper sales and television ratings. If it wasn't happening, we wouldn't be talking about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, what did he think?
Speaker 4: We just had the anti Semitism summit because we thought it had do okay on the ratings.
Speaker 2: Well, we do okay on the ratings as it is.
Speaker 4: How about we actually want to talk about the issues that face this nation.
Speaker 2: That's not the rating, but that's the reality to do it.
Speaker 6: This is a problem because when you start to have the discussion with these politicians and put it to them, particularly with respect to how they've handled these issues, they start to shirk responsibility and use the weaponization, so called weaponization of the discussion of anti semitism, and they weaponize it themselves and turn.
Speaker 5: The focus on the media.
Speaker 6: So I remember having a conversation with the Federal Minister for Aged Care and Sport, Arnika Wells, and she also had a go at Sky after Dark and all the rest of me in my conversation with her, because the question was put, you know, Lucy, how do you feel about how the government of the days handled the situation with respect to anti Semitism? And I said, look, had Anthony Alberinezi come out and everyone has said it, We've heard it ad nauseum. He come out on October eighth and condemned the protest and took a really strong stance there, and then I don't think we'd be having, you know, these types of conversations to the gravity that we have been over the last fifteen months. And then when it was put to her about it, right and kind of saying, well, these are some strong comments about the government. How do you feel about this? Oh, well, I don't want to feed into a sky after dark narrative, because I had said, but with all due respect, you've got the Prime Minister of the country playing tennis the day after a synagogue's fire bond, and she's bringing sky after dark into it.
Speaker 5: And I said, what does that have to.
Speaker 6: Do with the Prime Minister making the decision to put his whites on go and smack a ball out on a tennis court.
Speaker 5: What does that have to do with it? What does the Meania's response to this have.
Speaker 6: To do with it, which, by the way, has been rightfully condemning all of these shocking attacks of anti Semitism and what we've been seeing unfold across the country.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So it to me it's just such a cheap and cowardly way to address the issue, because for them, they've got to recognize that they haven't dealt with this well.
Speaker 1: And the irony is right. Before he made that comment about anti Semitism should not be weaponized, he gave an example of a vote in Parliament that didn't go his way that he felt would have helped the Jewish community, so he weaponized it. Then he criticized people for weaponizing it, which was ANIMI the way of weaponizing it, and the crowd were up to it, and everyone knew exactly what he was doing. And I must say Sharry Markson, who was very gracious at the end of his speech, did call him out on that, and she did not miss and I think he left the building fairly quickly afterwards.
Speaker 2: Funny about that.
Speaker 4: And of course if you want to watch anything from that summer today the full interviews or the full summer Kertiska News dot com dot Au. Now a case back in twenty twenty two Cassius Turvey, who was a fifteen year old boy who died in Western Australia after he was allegedly set upon by a group of people. Now the trial for this case has just recently started. The prosecutors are saying that he was knocked to the ground and deliberately stracked to the head with a metal poll. Now, because this is a trial that is ongoing, I'm not going to talk any more about the specifics of the case because I don't want to jeopardize it in any way, but what I do want to talk about is.
Speaker 2: The reaction when he died.
Speaker 4: Now, Cassius Turvy was an Aboriginal boy, a fifteen year old Aboriginal boy, and so there was an outcry after he died, he died ten days after he was allegedly attacked, that this was a racist attack, that this was a racially motivated attack.
Speaker 2: On an Aboriginal boy.
Speaker 4: You can see the headline there that Al Jazeera ran with the racist killing of Cassius Turvy. That chopped Australia, and even the Prime Minister brought into it at the time. He's Anthony Albanezi in October twenty twenty two talking about this.
Speaker 1: This is just a terrible tragedy.
Speaker 10: And this attack that clearly is racially mot just breaks your heart. We're a better country than that.
Speaker 4: It's clearly racially motivated, he says, and he finishes, we are a better country than that. Well, Prime Minister, we are a better country than that. Because it has now come to light in the trial that it.
Speaker 2: Was not a racially motivated attack.
Speaker 4: In fact, the prosecutor, this is the person running the case, said there was not one shred of evidence that this was a racially motivated attack, and Anthony Albanezi, the Prime Minister and all his race baiting mates three years ago could not wait to say that because an Aboriginal boy had died after an alleged attack, that it was a racially motivated attack. Well, Prime Minister, now, knowing that the country is better than you thought it was back then, when will your apology be forthcoming? You stood up and made it look like we are a country full of people who were just set up pot an Aboriginal boy when you had no evidence of that being the case, and it is now said in court that he's not the case at all. He should apologize yesterday, let alone today and.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, and what are the chances zero?
Speaker 5: Of course I saw, I just saw a pink line. Oh my god, quickly bracious.
Speaker 1: Now it wasn't just a prime minister, an activist at Curtin University who doubles as a lecturer in justice. Would you believe it? Said? The refusal of police at the time of the crime to talk about racism was extremely disappointing. Now, at the time police said we're not going to talk about motives because we're still investigating. We haven't established what it was, but the Nunga nation, that's the area of indigenoity where the crime was committed. They put out a joint statement talking about black deaths in custody, the stereotyping of black children, that there's no black people on juries, and even asked what if this was a white kid who had been killed? What would be happening now we turn out now we find out it had absolutely nothing to do with race. And also they've got the Prime minister, you've got university academics, you've got aboriginal activists, and every single one of them were wrong. There will be a conger line of apologies there.
Speaker 5: Should be, but there's not going to be. Let's be real about this and face facts.
Speaker 6: They're not going to issue an apology on this. And the thing is right, what proof did everyone have? We've already said, but what proof did everyone have that this was racially motivated other than the color of Cassier's skin. If that's not racist, then I don't know what is right. And I'll tell you if it was a white boy that was killed, there certainly will never be protests or vigils or go fummies are all these things being held at the nationwide level.
Speaker 5: So for me, I think that this was summed up really.
Speaker 6: Well by Andrew Ruhl and Mark Butler who wrote about this in The Herald Sun, where they said the facts are awful enough for the Turvy family without any needless spin, speculation and rumor. The simple fact is that Cassius Turvy was assaulted while coming home from school and died ten days later.
Speaker 5: Isn't that all we had to go off, not just then but now? But instead it got blown up to be this issue about race.
Speaker 6: And again, Australians are so tired of this. We are so fatigued by these conversations.
Speaker 5: Anytime any level of.
Speaker 6: Injustice occurs at know, to a minority group, to an Indigenous Australian, to a woman, all of a sudden, it's sexism, All of a sudden, it's racism.
Speaker 5: I'm so sick of the labels.
Speaker 6: When do we move past this and start treating each other as fellow Australians, not an Indigenous Australian and ethnic Australian a Chinese like we are fellow Australians in this country, and we are so tired of feeling as though we are secondary citizens to the indigenous, and it needs to be said because too many times and in cases like this, look at how harmful something like this can be. You can get people really hot instantly thinking that, right, I'm feeling if I'm a person of color, I'm feeling as though, if anything happens to me now all of.
Speaker 5: A sudden, it's going to be racially motivated. Enough is enough.
Speaker 4: And we talked about weaponization before because it cause Dreyfus said, oh, anti Semitism shouldn't be weaponized for television ratings, et cetera. But what we're talking about here is the case of an Aboriginal boy dying that was weaponized for the purposes of racial politics, right, falsely weaponized for the purposes of racial politics. And the Turvy family has obviously gone through enough. His mother has done excellent work in Michelle.
Speaker 5: He's a beautiful since and then she's.
Speaker 4: Been the West Australian of the Year, et cetera, because she's, you know, said, the legacy of my child is never going to die, and good on her for doing it.
Speaker 6: She she also donated to Caleb. Don't forget all of the money that was raised. She donated them to youth charities.
Speaker 5: Et cetera to assist with them.
Speaker 4: But they have been through enough without people Anthony Alberaninzi running around using the death of a dead boy to say, oh, well, I'm going to make a point about racial politics here.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing he was. The death was weaponized.
Speaker 4: And if Albow and all his mates want to walk the walk about racism, they now have to come out and apologize for what they said.
Speaker 2: Otherwise they are admitting that they don't really care. But black I didn't give us. It doesn't matter. You're just there to be part of my war on race.
Speaker 1: I think Lucy, you made a really good point that the claim of prejudice in that killing revealed the prejudice of the people making the claim, of course, And isn't the contrast interesting with Anthony Alberanzi coming straight out of the blocks racism Australia has got to be better than that, compared to his very slow tortoiselight response to anti Semitism, where there's a lot of equivocation, and it just goes to show that the prejudice and the bias of those people who were very quick out of the blocks. Talk about Victoria for a moment because they're in all sorts of trouble but trying to extricate themselves. You remember, just Into Alan just a week ago, came out and said, bail laws are too soft. We need to do something about them. We're going to have a review, and we are. Really she's had to come to Jesus moment, except she forgot to tell her police minister, who didn't know anything about the review. Well, she's had another Damascus Rode conversion, suddenly realizing we need to go through the state's finances and eliminate waste because there's too much wastage of taxpayer money. Can you believe that? Just into Allan, the Premier of Labor, Victoria is saying this. Her treasurer is kind of on board, but you remember her treasurer is still trying to come to terms with economic lingo. She put out an email to treasury staff recently saying, Hey, when you email my office, please don't use too many economic terms because I've only been in the job a week and I'm still trying to learn what it all means. Here she is speaking to the media today. It was the fund the.
Speaker 11: Fiscal strategy, which is the five step well documented. People don't like the language fiscal strategy, I don't think, which is why I refer to it as the plan. But you understand us what I'm talking about when I talk about fiscal strategy, the five step plan in relation to stabilizing debt.
Speaker 1: Oh confidence, she's learned a new word, official strategy.
Speaker 2: Well done, Jacqueline.
Speaker 1: She goes on to say she's going to have a quote laser focus on every dollar of expenditure. What an amazing thing for the Victorian labor government to do a laser focus. They're going to start now, why didn't they start nine years ago? Why didn't they start when they proposed to hold the Commonwealth Games and then paid millions of dollars not to or spend forty thousand dollars on a dining room table.
Speaker 6: Lovely table, lovely table, spent.
Speaker 1: What was it, over a billion dollars on the my key.
Speaker 2: System last point one point seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, laser focus. You don't need laser the focus blind. Freddy can see all the wastage that's happened in Victoria under their leaders.
Speaker 4: They could do with a few lasers to go through and burn some stuff. But can you imagine Jeckeln Simons. You know, I don't know if you must go home to her parents.
Speaker 2: I learned and you word today, Mummy and Daddy fiscal fiscal strategy.
Speaker 5: Don't you believe it.
Speaker 2: I'm the Premierre Victoria.
Speaker 1: I'm implete.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely pathetic, this mob.
Speaker 4: I mean, you wouldn't trust them to organize and you know what in a brothel, seriously, and they are in charge of the state.
Speaker 2: And this is the thing. Daniel Andrews pulled.
Speaker 4: The greatest swifty of all time when he sniffed the wind and worked out that the tide had turned just a little too far for him and he said, okay, I'm out of here. So he's gone off. He's signed up as the chair of a mental health youth mental health board, and he's taken on a job with the Pratts and now he's an adviser to Anthony Alberizi in the lead up to the election.
Speaker 2: He's doing really well for himself.
Speaker 4: And on the way out he handed the absolute you know what sandwich that he created over Cina Allen and her cronies and said you go and.
Speaker 2: Sort that and annoy it. What's happened to them? What's happened to that. It's absolutely handed.
Speaker 1: The hilarious thing is right there. So they've announced a review when they'll get someone in, a former Secretary of Cabinet to come in and do this review to work out how many public servants they should sack to try and get the budget back under control. But last year the Department of the Premier spent one point one five million dollars on external consultants to advise what do we do about public servant numbers? As we all know, public servent numbers have just kept going up. Of course, they announced these reviews to try to fool everybody into thinking, oh, they're doing something about it, they're taking it seriously, but it won't make any difference. It will just cost taxpayers even more money.
Speaker 6: Can I just tell you something, if they end up voting in labor again next year in November, I will I'm promising you right now on the air, I will never ever come to Victoria ever again.
Speaker 5: You can't do it.
Speaker 6: You can't do it to yourselves and you cannot do it to us. Given everything that's been put on display here, the misadventure when it comes to taxpayer spending, the absolute shambolic debt that they are in. You know, this is also the government as well that gave I think it was about five hundred thousand dollars to the sick community to celebrate their religious leaders five hundred.
Speaker 5: And fifty fifth birthday. And we're renaming suburbs.
Speaker 4: Right right, the noses of Social Security.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was exactly. He'd been on the register also over in the US. Don't worry about that. But when you just really start.
Speaker 6: To drill down into how shocking they have been with money, and then you get someone like a Jacqueline Simes who says, this was her verbatim email that was apparently leaked, stop using economic terms and phrase in all communications, emails, et.
Speaker 5: Cetera with the treasurer. And she doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
Speaker 6: You know what, we didn't need that to come out because we you talk, Jack, and we can see you don't have a damn clue.
Speaker 1: What you're talking of.
Speaker 2: Honesty in politics. He so you say you won't go back there. No, I've got to.
Speaker 4: Keep going back there because it's the only place in the country that's got jumps racing. But when they have the election next year twenty twenty six right, that would give them another four years which goes through to twenty thirty. But you mightn't even have to worry about it because Victoria is in such a parlas. The Yarra Council has commissioned what they call a piece of art. I don't know that it really qualifies as a piece of art, but.
Speaker 5: It's a doomsday the piece of something right and.
Speaker 4: Put up in the Edinburgh Gardens in Fitzroy and it is counting down the minutes and seconds to doomsday, which is apparently in twenty twenty, sorry, twenty thirty according to that clock. Eighteen grand the council spent on that someone was given a woman was given eighteen grand to get a bit of concrete and bug an led screen in the middle, but with a ticking down.
Speaker 1: Can we put that image back on the screen again so viewers can see it. That plinth once supported a statue of Queen Victoria. Oh, how that plinth has fallen? They were on top of it. How is that a workut? A box with a solar panel of course on top. And you go to Fitzroy Gardens in Melbourne so you can look at a doomsday clock set to twenty thirty, because that's when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change we don't produce put by that stage, then we're all doomed. Honestly, the only person who will enjoy that display is Greta Tunberg. She will think that is marvelous. But every other Victorian eighteen thousand dollars for that, can you believe it?
Speaker 4: I want her to be there when it ticks down to zero and then the world just keeps going on. After that, they should all hang and have a vigil and they're all going to die to.
Speaker 6: Be on fire now, according to her, we're going to go to a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news in tomorrow's PA, including a foreign born killer guilty of not one, but two murders allowed to stay in Australia because labor have bungled the visa guidelines. That's coming up in just a moment. Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. There's a lot of news around. We'll start with tomorrow's front page of The Australian. You've got that, Caleb, indeed, and I apologize.
Speaker 4: I know it's a Thursday night and you're trying to slip nicely into the weekend. This will make your blood boil, but it's the reality, so we've got to show it to you. Grow tesque moment calculated to break a nation's heart. Hamas staged a horrific and inhumane handover of four dead hostages out of the young Berbas family and one of the oldest hostages. I did Liftshits eighty three on Thursday night, ignoring please by Israel and the International Red Cross for a respectful handover in private. Hamas had prominently displayed four black coffins at the front of the stay, in the same location where six previous handovers of.
Speaker 1: Live hostages took place.
Speaker 4: Now you'll be able to see the images there of those coffins on the stage there, of course, this is part of their propaganda machine right and behind them behind those coffins is an image of Benjamin Nette Yahoo, which you can't see in full. His head's not visible in the photo, but he is depicted there as Dracula. And then the photos you can see below him are of the Bibas family who are dead, and in those coffins the mother and Kafir and little Ariel, which of course Sharry has been talking about recently and mister Lifshitz. And on the edge of the stage, next to the coffins are a couple of missiles which have written on them they were killed by USA bombs.
Speaker 2: They meaning the hostages, who of course.
Speaker 4: Are now dead, can see down the front of that image it says at the front of the stage, we never forgave nor forgot our AXA flood, which is what they call the attack on October seven, was our promise. I mean, is it not enough that you are handing back dead Israelis in exchange for living Palestinian prisoners, that you then had to go and turn it into some kind of.
Speaker 2: Show, as though they deserved it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it is hard to think of anything more callous. It's bad enough that people were taken, and of course, if you're the Bibas family or the Lifshitz family, that you have lost a person in that circumstance, but to then, at the moment before you get to take them back so you can bury them and treat their death in the best way you possibly can. They're paraded before the world like that.
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear from Penny Wong on this I'd love Penny Wong to come out plain looking at that photograph, or worse, looking at the images of how it all played out. Explain to me how you can say Israel must show restraint. Tell me one parent who would show restraint, Tell me one family member, tell me one government that would show restraint when that's what's being done to their babies. How Penny one can call for a ceasefire Israel should get all of their hostages back and then go straight back in until every last Hamas terrorist is killed. How Penny one can call for a two state solution when the people you're asking to partner with Israel for peace are doing this as part of the ceasefire program. It just boggles my mind.
Speaker 6: What about what they did to that? What about what they did to their women? What about what they did to their women?
Speaker 1: Or when you go on all night about that, I must have done and I.
Speaker 6: Had to apologize to the both of you, and I hope it doesn't happen again, because I actually broke down in tears when I saw the photographs of these coffins, their little baby. That's little babies in there, it's kids in there, And if you're a parent, and you look at that and that doesn't really strike a chord with you that I'm not sure what will. And the toll that this has taken on so many people right just observing this as parents, watching the heartbreak unfold, and the fact that they have the right or even the ability to stand back and say those on the Palestinian side that you know what, well, look at what you've done to us, look at what's been going on historically, and to feel as though that is somehow justified when you look at photographs of baby coffins in all of this. Right, And we spoke about it last night and we said, there are innocent lives that have been lost on both sides of the fence here, right, and needlessly lost. This needs to come to an end, right. But none of this would have happened if those precious babies and all of those lives that were taken that day on October seven, none of this would have occurred had they not made that decision to do that. And I also made the comment to you, James, I said, if I was that mother, or if I was, you know, the relative of somebody who had been taken as a hostage, take race out of this, take Israeli palacin whatever, take it out of this and just think, as a human being on this subject, if my family member had been taken by terrorists in this situation, you bet your bottom dollar I would want them to bomb the hell out of that country until they were returned.
Speaker 5: So just think about it in that context.
Speaker 1: And it's true. You know, kids have been killed on both sides of the conflict, and that is absolutely terrible. But always keep in mind only one side of this conflict used babies as human shields, and only one side on this conflict has paraded babies dead babies as propaganda and gloated over their deaths. So you're dealing with two very different cultures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they had a sign up there that said the war criminal Ntan Yahu and his Nazi army killed them with missiles from zardas warplans them. Of course, for people in the coffins.
Speaker 2: Well, news flash, you animals.
Speaker 4: If you hadn't gone into Israel on October the seventh, there wouldn't be any missiles coming down on Gaza, would there. Let's go to another story on the front of the Olds Tomorrow contract killer to keep Ozzie visa a double murderer convicted over a contract killing, has been spared deportation under Labour's revised ministerial direction after a tribunal found his ties to Australia and level of rehabilitation outweighed community expectations that he should never be granted a visa. Isn't it fantastic? You know here in Australia you can be a contract killer, but you've got some connections to the country, much much like in the UK. If your teen year old son doesn't like the chicken nuggets in Albania, will you get to stay as well?
Speaker 1: Please? Did I hear you right when you said a non citizens connections in Australia? Yes, outweighed community expectations. The community being Australian citizens. So the feelings, the desires, the rights of a non citizen according to the regulations the Labor government put in place outweigh the desires, the feelings, the rights of citizens. That tells you everything you need to know.
Speaker 5: Welcome to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: If she bring on twenty twenty five and a half after the election, when hopefully there'll be some sense, let's go the front page of the Daily Telegraph, Peter Dutton tells the Antisemitism Summit today, I'll scrap visas over hate. Opposition leader Peter Dutton will tear up visas on the grounds of anti Semitic retric if he wins the next election, while the former Home Affairs Secretary says a national emergency should have already been called into the crisis that has the Jewish community living in fear Tony. Mister Dutton told the audience that the Central Synagogue in Bondai his government would not hesitate to deport visa holding non citizens spreading anti Semitic hatred in Australia. I think everybody would agree that is an absolutely right thing to do. And he also said that this would be dated back to October seven, twenty twenty three, so anybody since then under a coalition government that's been spreading anti Semitic rehetoric who's here on a visa would be immediately deported. I hope he's elected, if only for that would make the country a lot better. While we're on the front page of the day, he telegraph. My friend Caleb Bond, who watches far too many cartoons, pointed out, just have a look at the front page.
Speaker 2: I thought we established that was loose.
Speaker 6: You're you're going to get done under the safety karont.
Speaker 1: Of Tony Burke there now, does he remind you of anyone? Caleb?
Speaker 2: He does. He reminds me of Wallace from Wallace to look at the green on him.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, if Bert got a little less here, it would be the same bloke. We've got wensley Dale Wallace as the Minister for Immigration.
Speaker 2: Cracking cheese from it. I love Wallace and grommt by the way, and now that I have had to go through looking at Tony Burr can see that bear. It's rather put me off. I'm not sure I'm gonna watch.
Speaker 1: It anybody They gonna do any more papers After that, we're going to leave it on a high. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Scott Morrison lost his photo album. Someone's found it. They don't want to give it back. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Family smart, Harry up and take the picture. Hang on, Oh.
Speaker 12: Have you heard the news?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: That's Paul Marie. It's a big news day, Paul.
Speaker 1: What's the breaking news?
Speaker 13: David?
Speaker 1: You look like you have thombin.
Speaker 9: What's fonban fombin the fear of missing breaking news, and there's.
Speaker 2: That never miss breaking news again. You can get it on your phone, your tablet or you're Smart TV.
Speaker 13: Harvey Norman your destination for the Samsung Galaxy AS twenty five series. Get the Samsung Galaxy S twenty five. We have two fifty six giek for zero dollars up front when you connect to a new opt a sixty nine dollars a month. Similarly planned for twenty four months. Offerings March twelve at Halvey Norman.
Speaker 1: Forgot this.
Speaker 5: Love you Dad?
Speaker 12: There's a glass and a half in everyone.
Speaker 14: Iron deficiency can leave you feeling run down, clogged up. Switch to Maltifer, a therapeutic formula clinically proven to correct iron deficiency with less constipation. Move to maltifer and feel the difference.
Speaker 15: How about something new, Try something newful less without love sticker price guarantee.
Speaker 1: Nobody beats Dan Movies, Lareer Garry Presents Magic Retouch Root Killer Time three two one done. Sorry I'm a little while covering three.
Speaker 2: Roots Magic redutched by Lauryer Dar.
Speaker 1: You're worth it three hundred and thirty dollars for the night not.
Speaker 16: Bad two hundred and fifty dollars for the night.
Speaker 1: How it's easy when you know where to look.
Speaker 16: Travago compares hotel prices from more than one hundred booking sites, so you can save up to thirty percent. Hotel Travaga.
Speaker 12: We are gathered here today.
Speaker 5: Shock at an e.
Speaker 4: Tucket in the eight, chuck.
Speaker 12: Him in, Bring that Invada.
Speaker 4: In the eight.
Speaker 12: We are gathered here today too, Shock at any jump more in the new GWM canon you.
Speaker 6: With real Estate dot com dot Au you can search more homes for sale than anywhere else and find a choice of expert mortgage brokers.
Speaker 5: Will help you make that house your home sooner.
Speaker 2: Where's the dog?
Speaker 1: Keep moving?
Speaker 5: With real Estate dot com dot Au.
Speaker 17: Foxtel Rewards are giving away thirty thousand free crust pizzas this February. Whether you love the classics or crave something new, there's plenty for everyone to enjoy it, so head to Foxtel dot com dot U, slash pizza and plain yours.
Speaker 1: Now, most of us would have been to an opshop, browsing around for a bargain, rummaging through bins trying to find something someone had tossed out as trash but it might be treasure to you. Well, someone in a Sydney Salvation Army op shop was rummaging through some books and found a photo album and thought this looks interesting. They opened it up to discover it was photographs of Scott Morrison, former Australian Prime Minister. In fact, it's a family photo album. This person bought the album and now has it as a coffee table memento. Scott Morrison has asked that it be returned. It's Scott photographs of him at New Year's Eve, lounging around at the Sheraton Mirage Resort on the Gold Coast, having a holiday in Port Douglas, What about in Hawaii? Scott Morrison said, hey, I'd love it if you would return it. We threw it out accidentally not realizing we discarded it. But the person who's purchased it said no, no, I paid money for it. It looks very good on my coffee table. It's a great talking piece Lucy in your home. But is it a decent thing to give it back?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 5: Find us keepers? What happened to that? Right? And what's he doing throwing out a photo album? Who was behind? That's probably?
Speaker 2: I want to know that probably is a question. Who throws out a photo app how.
Speaker 5: Does that happen accidentally?
Speaker 4: By the way, but if but if you know it was an accident, And he's like, what do they pay three bucks for it or something minimal? And he said, can I have the photo album back? Like, what what do you want with Scott Morrison's photo album? What are you going to have dinner parties? And you're like, oh, look what I have to show you.
Speaker 5: Exactly what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's a great talking point.
Speaker 5: Remotely suppose.
Speaker 4: Look, I would if it were me, i'd hand it back, but I'd ask to keep. Specifically, there's a photo of him in there, sort of like face first in the bed, and it says next to it that he was very, very very tired because he's had too many Guinnesses.
Speaker 2: I'd keep that one, just to pit it up on the wall.
Speaker 1: So you give him his photo album back and he's thank you so much, and then you go through it and there's photos missing.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think that's just the bargaining chip.
Speaker 4: I'll let you have it back, but I want to have that photuct But see, I I love op shops and I go to auctions, and I'm obsessed with this stuff. But I went into a sell those op shop once and I bought a painting for eight dollars and it had written on the back.
Speaker 2: Of it the address of the artist.
Speaker 4: And I looked up the address that I found a phone number, and I thought I would call up and see what the go is with this piece. And they could have had it back if they wanted it, but they didn't ask for it. Unfortunately, didn't get the artist, but I got the artist's daughter.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you tell the artist's daughter I found your piece of art for eight bucks in an option? I didn't for it.
Speaker 2: I found it in an optop. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I assume someone had it hanging in their house and they carcked it and it ended up in the sell thos. Oh, shouldn't you be happy that it's ended up in a new home.
Speaker 6: No, I no, you can feel about his album because he clearly didn't know I was lost until the TikTok I mentioned anything about it.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's what he realized.
Speaker 4: It was a missing Remind me, wasn't there a story a few years ago someone bought a filing cabinet they opened it up, his government documents.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it. From us to the op shop, but stick around. Coming up.