Speaker 1: Welcome for the Code Sports NRL podcast. Round one of the twenty twenty six premierships out of the way, A bumper weekend of footy. Who better to join me, Travis Main than my great mates Dean Bulldog, Richie Tyson Jackson, Let's go through this week boys. So Zach Lomax situation, it's finally done. It's bared is off to the Western Falls for two years. Tyson. Can we just move on from this saga? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been I've been asking for weeks to stop the Sack Clomax conversation and I'm sick of talking about it. I'm sick of hearing about it. So yeah, today we've revealed that he's off. He's off to the Western Force for two years, which pretty much stamps him out of the game for almost the entire period of what he would have been if he was waiting for another NROL club. And look, I think this is the best possible result for all parties. Paramatta obviously don't have to go and play against Zaklomax. Zak Loomax gets to play some type of footy despite it not being rugby league. And I mean, if you're the Wallabies, you're cheering because sak Clomax is a is a hell of a talent. So yeah, let's move on with it now, Travie, let's stop talking about it.
Speaker 3: Next topic, please, moving on from that.
Speaker 1: You know the Paramatta Melbourne and that was a blowout and went straight into the Broncos get absolutely annihilated twenty six Niel by Penrith the first game of their premiership defense. Now, Doggie and I, you've had a lot to say about Reese Walsh of late. What did you make of Reese and the Broncos?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Mate, Reese had a thinker.
Speaker 5: Let's be fair here, travel He gets plenty of accolades, and rightly so, and he is a brilliant, exuberant young talent.
Speaker 4: But he had a poor game.
Speaker 5: There's no there's no trying to sugarcoat a performance like that just because you are Reese Walsh.
Speaker 4: He will bounce back.
Speaker 5: But I still, as I said last week in my column trave and Tyson, I still question whether Reese Walsh can find a consistency over a sustained period to go down among the greats.
Speaker 4: When I talk about the greats, we talk about you know.
Speaker 5: The Graham Mainland's going back many years and the Graham eaties and the Billy Slater's slatter's probably the best I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: So, you know, can Walsh attain those levels?
Speaker 5: It's going to take a lot for Reese to, I guess, have to abandon that swashbuckling style which he uses, which gets you more than glamor and glitz.
Speaker 4: But does he have the ability to get rid of it?
Speaker 5: Can he become more consistent on field and it doesn't become too boring football for reicew Wash if he doesn't try the impossible. But at the moment trying the impossible well, certainly last week against Penrith it just didn't work well.
Speaker 1: To speaking of that, They've got Paramatta this week and that's a big game for both clubs, isn't it. Whoever, losers will be zero and two to start the year. It's a long way back from there. So Tyson, who you pick him?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 1: You think the Broncos will bounce back or we see a better improvement from Paramatta?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I think I think both teams you got to expect the improvement from because it it'd be pretty hard to get worse than where they both were. I think it's really hard to make a make a judgment on the Broncos just yet, but from my perspective on their game against Penrith, and Penrith looked like a million bucks, but they just looked tired.
Speaker 3: They looked they looked exhausted.
Speaker 2: There was about ten minutes into that game where Penrith have taken a run on last tackle they've been tackled, and I think it was right when Jack Giseski got the head knock. They just look baffled. They didn't look like they knew what they were doing or what kind of they've just gone through. For the last ten minutes, they looked really flat, a bit down. So yeah, look, I think I think that's kind of where they're at at this point. I don't think they actually played to their ability because of how flat they were when it comes to parent they just had no answers for Melbourne and you know, like that they've gone through all this battle with Zach Lomax during the off season to stay strong and prove that they're a strong club. But you need to prove that you're a strong club on the field. That's that's where rugby league games are one and won and lost, not in court rooms. So look, I'm expecting improvement from both sides, Mitchell Moses and Jonah Pezitt. The pressure is on. They've got to have better performances this week. I expect it to be closer. But I think the Broncos, if they can get their preparation right.
Speaker 3: Should should put a score on Paramatta this week.
Speaker 5: I think Travy should say that it was probably the worst Broncost performance under mad Yeah, they're off a bit from the very beginning. I mean the ben hunt starting with Ezra Mam on the bench was a questionable decision. But you know what it will do. It will bring out the mad Haders. We've seen him at Brisbane for the minute he walked through the door. I think after last year, after Round thirteen they'd only won five games. They're out in force then, but he came back Tom with a sundn't shine. I guess you could say trev and win the premiership. So you'll look, they'll be there again. They're entitled to be there again after that first round performance. But I think it's far too early to be riding Madge off just yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Doggie. Now one of the other big sort of off season stories was DC's move from the Northern Beaches down to Bondi there, Now, Doggie, you've covered his whole career up there. What did you make of DCEs Rooster's debut over from that big loss to the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, a bit like reeths Walsh. It was poor. There's no sugar coating it.
Speaker 5: He looked every bit of He's thirty seven years old, a daily Terry Evans, a couple of mistakes which led to tries. He didn't, I think fall on a kick which led to another try, and overall it was an extremely disappointing day boot and the expectation and the pressure that DC was under. We know he's resilient trave He's resilient physically and mentally, and the Roosters rarely get their recruitment wrong. So I'm not suggesting this is going to be a right off season for DC. It won't be. It just wasn't the performance that we thought we would get.
Speaker 1: First up, the ticy spend a fair bit of time there around the chalks. You think it's going to take him some time in jail. I thought Sam Walker looked quite likely on the weekend, but him and Cherry Evans, the sort of seem like they just can't figure each oller out yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's we're in a pretty tough spotrow when you when you watch that game on the weekend, it's really easy to point out all the doubt falls that the Roosters at because they had a lot that had a massive lob side of penalty count as well, which I think we've got to look at like that really disrupted the flow of the game, which would have Walker and Cherry Evans combination throughout getting to gel a little bit. But also they've had a horror off season. To be completely honest, no one, no one's really touched on it too much, but the loss of Rees Robson Spencer Lenu before the game, No Robert Toyer, the injury, he is a pouring in for the Roosters, and you look at on the weekend, Tommy Tolao goes down with a knee injury which wasn't a contact injury, which you know, throws out the terms a c l MCLs things like that. They've had a really disrupted off season and a lot of players haven't even taken the field. Huis of Ilan is suffering a foot injury as well. So I think we before we throw judgment out, we've got to remember that their team is not how it's supposed to be just yet. So those it's going to take time for Walker and Cherry Evans to gel, but it's going to be even harder right at this very second. While they don't have a lot of their stars on the field, like especially defensively. A lot of people want to highlight our daily chair Evans defensively, Robert Toyer is a great defensive center, So that's going to answer the questions. We get Robert Toyer back in and their defense on that side is still shocking. We know what the answer is, but you know, let's let's see what it's like when they've got their full strength side. I was just at the Roosters before and they seem pretty confident. They know what they've done. There's easy fixes there, and I think they're going to be all there in about so I think it's too early to make such a critical judgment on their halves when they're brand new. We all saw happen when Cooper Krom came to the club in twenty eighteen. They lost the Tigers in the first round. Had a shocking probably first ten rounds where it was just inconsistencies, and.
Speaker 3: I think we can expect good things. It's just going to take time.
Speaker 1: Now, Doggie, you've been vindicated mate. The crash of the Titans. It wasn't des Hazl's fault. One of the most deflating round one performances we've ever seen, fifty to ten loss to the Cronella Sharks now Cronala larn Song.
Speaker 5: But the Titans, Doggie, what did you make of them? Oh, they're embarrassing. There's no again, I say the same thing, Traip. No way of sugarcoating it. It was a pathetic first half performance thirty four nil. I think it ducked out to forty and it travel in the second half. If there's any consolation, I guess they found some resistance from a midway in the second half to a full time. It's scored a couple of tries, but it's typical Titans. They just want to throw out the coach. They've done it throughout their entire existence. Then there's one coach up there travel. If I'm wrong, that was there for one hundred games. I think it was CARDI wasn't it and the rest. Yeah, the rest have been given the boot in double figures. It's it's not that simple. You can't just keep burning out the coach every time you lose. But do what Josh Hanna is thinking already. It's probably looking out of your shoulder after one game, but it was Vincage Titans.
Speaker 4: Let's kick out the coach. He's the problem.
Speaker 5: And clearly after that performance wasn't the problem, and it is the playing group that is the problem.
Speaker 1: There was a thriller there on the Northern Beach, as at Brookie the other night, a golden point game, a second golden point game of the year. Already Ethan Sanders getting it getting it done for the Raiders with that beautiful left footed field goal. I said to Ricky Shield, we can't go through another year of this. He's now abouting finishes for the Raiders. Tice, what did you think of that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be honest, my books, that's got to be one of the most anti climactic finishes in a golden point game. Inan Sanders has kicked this field goal. Everyone kind of just sat there looking pretty confused, like what's going on the rest took a long time to.
Speaker 3: Confirm it, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a strange game, right you look at how mainly started that game. First of all, Tom, I mean, it's great to see he looks like he's back to that form that we're used to, that we we grew to love with him, and hopefully he stays fit. But for mainly to jump out to such a lead, let Canberra crawl back, then mainly go again. But that second half where the Raiders have climbed all the way back into that competition and that they've it's a Raiders team that should take time to click new halves, pairing new everything to get to Golden Point.
Speaker 3: Though. This is where this is where I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Bit frustrated or frustrated when it comes to manly, Ethan Sanders had no pressure on him in that kick at all. Jake Travoyevitch was coming, he wasn't coming fast at him. He's thirty meters out Who how is no one there recognized that Ethan Sanders thirty meters out right in front of the goal past is going to take a field goal in Golden Point Like it shouldn't have finished on that player.
Speaker 3: There should have been a bit more of a challenge there.
Speaker 2: I'm really concerned at this Manly side and what's going through their heads in that critical moment, because all it takes is one field goal, one point in that game's over. And it did not seem like there was any sense of urgency, like legitimate urgency in that last player to stop that field goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doggie, can you smell a bit of drama over there at Manly? I feel like something's brewing there. They came out of the blocks hot the other night, camberdon touch the ball in the first twelve minutes or something, out of a solid lead, and they somehow gave the game up again. Like, do you think there's a there a few issues bubbling away there?
Speaker 4: I haven't heard them training.
Speaker 5: If there are issues there, it hasn't reached my desk. That's just to say there, right, Look, it was just appointing, let's be honest, the way they lost it. And look, Tyson's right, Jake Jaboivitch was the one putting pressure on young Sanders and Jake is slowing up, so where was everybody else? That's just an awareness on the fields. That's an effort player that wasn't there. And they look back at that video and Hopefully they're a been embarrassed about that final play because there should have been three or four really up there knowing it probably won't get penalized, although they did get a penalty late in the game for it.
Speaker 4: But I don't think there's a drama.
Speaker 5: And to be fair to Manly, they took last year's Minor premiers to golden points, so there are again a couple of positives in that. I thought Tulu Cohler was absolutely outstanding there at left center, and I think Tyson mentioned Tommy Turbo he was back to his or near his best, So there's some good times there at mainly a couple as I said, effort plays probably weren't the where they should have been for round one. But in terms of drama, I haven't heard it, Travis, and I don't think there is at the moment. But look, regular JAG's Manly fans are already all over the websites complaining, and they're retired too. They want their team to win. But I think it's just again, let's just take a deep breath just for now now.
Speaker 1: I covered the rabbit O's Dolphins game Sunday afternoon there sun Corpse Stadium. I thought some really nice signs from South the Trell Mitchell, Cameron Murray sort of really out of the bunnies. A good deboot from David Feeder as well. And I got to ask you boys this, Wayne Bennett. I asked him in the press conference, do you want to see the fans run on the field when AJ breaks? Alex Johnston breaks that try scoring record Ken Irvin's try scoring records, so he needs two tries to break it. It could up in this Friday night Ali on Stadium against the arch rivals of Roosters. Doggie, what are your thoughts? Do you want to see the fans on the field night?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: I just played to Alex Johnson last year, did a big hit down interview with him, and he wants the fans on the field. He wants that moment, which is like a Buddy Franklin at the SCG a few years ago when he broke the goal record for the AFL.
Speaker 4: But look, it would be an iconic moment if the fans went on.
Speaker 5: It would be an iconic moment in terms of vision which would be seen for years to come. But look, there are some issues there. Travor Theenneral are saying no we don't want it. How long before the fans get off the field? How long before the game gets going? And it could have been fifteen to twenty twenty five minutes? Is there a health and safety issue too? If some fan gets trampled running on the field, then we've got major drama yet again. So I think the elenaal has put an edict out to South to say please support our stance here and not wanting players to go onto the field fans on the field. Alex is saying other things, but I think Alex might be told this week maybe just don't say to gain a j because it's much of it would be a great moment. I think there are some issues that even fans look at this way. Guys, you jump back the fence and someone's sitting in their seat. Yeah, I know there are any little things, but it does cause mayhem, and certainly for broadcasters if it ends up being a broadcast game where there's a game after it and it caused mayhem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think they got they'll say the right things, but what are they going to do if five people started it? Or just be your bull rush. So look that the biggest concern is if someone comes on there and did something to one of the players, which you'd really hope wasn't the case. Look, how do you think it'll play out to us? What do you reckon? You're the young bloke around here. Will they jump the.
Speaker 3: Fence or yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I think I think we're at a point now where it's bound to happen. I tend to agree a bit like and you'd love to see her as sports fans in general, that that image of you know, if Johnson's cratered up on some of my shoulders, and all the Rabbitos fans, all the NRAL fans out of there are there gathered around watching like it's going to make for some awesome scenes. But there is so much room for something to go terribly wrong. And I want to make very clear against the Roosters. If this happens against the Roosters and you've got a bunch of Roosters players on the field and then a whole bunch of Rabbitos fans have run on the field, you know what it's like. You know what fans can be like. Some of them are there for the wrong thing, and that's the harsh reality. All it takes someone to get in someone's face, someone runs up to you know in Afar who white and pushes him or something, or you know, something like that. There's so much room for bad stuff to happen, So I really hope that there are because I don't think you're going to stop it, right, but I hope that the NRL and that the clubs involved, the Roosters and the rabbits have the right precautions.
Speaker 3: You know, in kind attack to make sure that this happened.
Speaker 2: If it does happen, When it does happen, no one gets hurt, no one gets injured. The player's safety has to be at the top of their priority list. Like, there's just so much room for area, and all it takes is one per to do the wrong thing, and it could make a really beautiful moment in our sport turn into something really nasty and really negative. So look, if it's going to happen, except that it's going to happen, realize that there's not much you can do to stop thirty thousand people running onto a footy field, but come up with the right solutions.
Speaker 3: To ensure that everyone is as safe as they can possibly be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the fear is we don't live in such an innocent world anymore, right, So we've got to say all the right things. You just hope that everything pans out as hope. Now the room and mills and overdrive. Already, boys, some coaches already under They are already under the pump, none more so than Todd Payton up at the Cowboys. Now, it's been a couple weeks since Vegas. He had a pull loss over there. He's got a dream draw. He's got the Tigers this weekend, My beloved Tigers. I finally get to see them this weekend and see what they're going to dish up this year. And he's got the Titans next week. So very very soft draw for the Cowboys to start the year. Essentially three bottom four teams. Doggie, what do you reckon of this game? What are we going to see from the Tiger this weekend? And if they win, what do you think that means for Todd Payton.
Speaker 4: It's a good question for the West Tigers.
Speaker 5: Travel When I say I don't know, I don't like to sit on the fence, but I really don't know the Tigers. You don't know what you're going to get with West Tigers week in week out's the first time we've seen them. Of course, this year from all the talk out of Concord, it's been a very steady build up. The players have been wrapping Benji Deluxe about his attitude. They reckon he's got a harder reds.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 4: Looks like that.
Speaker 5: You know the halves will be settled. Do we move in the six of happy he's there. So, look, it's a fair roster. I'm not sure it's a top four, top six roster, but I'm sure they would be thinking it's a top eight roster.
Speaker 4: It's like Art, it's packed house, it's a great atmosphere.
Speaker 5: Having said that, their record at like Art isn't always great, it doesn't reflect on the amount of support that they get there. So look, I don't know whether the Tigers, I guess we'll find out by five point thirty on Saturday, whether they're a basketcase still, whether they have actually taken another step toward getting out of this rut they've been here for so many years. But in terms of Toddy Peyton, correct me if I'm wrong, Trail, there was some innu window and speculation met Toddy last year from memory, and I think I saw a couple of quotes to him saying that he appreciated and applauded the Cowboys for sticking with him and supporting him. But how long into this year it goes. If they're witness after three or four rounds, I don't think they'll sack him. But yeah, the pressure builds and building in rugby league, and the old days was like round ten or twelve when a coach was under pressure. Now it's like round two or three and you're under the pump.
Speaker 1: Well, he said, they're sticking by him, but he is still the only coach off contract in the enter of this year. If he was in Sydney at the Tigers or Para or the Drags or something of that, the media folks would be relentless. It would be an absolute furnace down there. I just don't think you can even survive in that sort of environment. So time will tell. He's got he's got some time he's hitting up there in towns when he's got the opportunity to turn things around. You know, who knows how it's all going to play out. Oh boys, we've had a great round to kick off the season. Another ripper coming up. I think the game of the round could be out at Bathurst. Actually, Penrith v. Cronulla, both teams very impressive in round one. Tae, what do you reckon of that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a huge game and there's so many around Cronulla, especially unanswered questions. I mean, we're expecting a tight, gritty game against the Titans. They blew them out in the first forty minutes. I might be one of the only ones I wasn't really impressed with Crannuller in the second half of that game.
Speaker 3: Against the Titans.
Speaker 2: I think if they were to take that next step they have to go, they go on, you know, to break that barrier of just making the finals, they would have run away with that game a lot more. Wouldn't have let two tries in in the second half like they stopped playing after fifty minutes. Sadly, you cannot afford to do that against Penrith. They looked great last week. Penrith looked I think the best they've looked since their last premiership in twenty twenty four in Round one against the Broncos. So it's really going to show where these two sides are at. You know, Penrith was it a one off thing? Did they Did they have so much build up you know from the Broncos knocking him out of the finals last year, that they came out with their best performace in round one? Or is it a case of the Sharks, you know, have they actually improved?
Speaker 3: Did they?
Speaker 2: Did they pull the reins back knowing that they've got this game next week? Is Niko Heines and Braden Trindle the elite harvest pairing that people view them as and that the Sharks want them to be? So many questions and I think I think we're gonna get the answers we need this weekend. So yeah, I think I'm with you, Travy Game of the Round. Apart from obviously the Tigers that are Likehart Doggie.
Speaker 1: Also in your backyard, there are Sunday Afternoon at Brookie Manly versus Newcastle, Tommy Turbo, Kale and Ponger. Mainly, I've got one of those two games at home to start the year. And I thought the Knights are pretty impressive over there in Vegas.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they certainly were. I thought Dylan Brown was pretty good, you know past mark wasn't it TV. It wasn't brilliant, but he did his job. Carlin was very good. It seems to be a real new bounce in enthusiasm up there in Newcastle under Justin Holbrook. And as you say, quite rightly, man they've had a couple of will be a couple of home games in a row. You start off Norton to at Brookie, it's it's a it's a disaster start of the year. The hardest part about regularly these days, as you gentlemen know, you lose three or four, it's very hard to claw back because it's such a tight comp and if you start poorly, the days are gone where you can sort of string together six, seven, eight wins to get back into the into contention. So look, it's a vital game every week for Mandy. But I think given what happened last week that golden point, given they're at home again, Newcastle isn't an elite side, to be fair, so I think it's vitally important that Manley get the two points this weekend at Brookie.