Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? A podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians.
Speaker 2: I'm Michael Thompson.
Speaker 1: I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform that covers YouTube, podcast books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more.
Speaker 2: Hello, Canna, Hello, how are you? I am good and I'm looking forward to today because today we want to help.
Speaker 1: We're very selfless with today's episode. Christmas is behind us well and truly behind us, and hopefully you had a brilliant time, good presence, plenty of good food and drink, maybe even a little holiday away perhaps, bus all of that comes with the very very very real risk of a festive season financial blowout.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it hangover?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good way to put it, isn't it? It is a hangover.
Speaker 1: So today we are going to put together your money bounce back plan. So if you maybe spent a little bit too much over Christmas and over that whole period, there's no judgment. It is just help getting back on track. This one is for you, it's fairly predictable and consistent, right that at this time of year there is going to be a little bit of a hangover.
Speaker 2: It's such an.
Speaker 1: Expensive time of year, right, Why why when we know it's coming, When we know that Christmas is going to be expensive, When we know it's going to be the time of year when you want to go away, or you want to spend a bit of time, you want to go out for meals and things like that, why then is it so hard to prepare for that and to why we left with the financial hangover every single year. I don't understand. I'm speaking from experience here, what you're feeling a bit financially dusty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a little bit, just a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I do find it for us that, even though we know it's coming, that the same result every year. Why is this happening?
Speaker 3: I think Christmas is a very emotional time of the year. You've got you know, families. It's also for some people it is a very lonely time of the year. I got traditions, you've got guilt, you know, the pressure to be generous, and of course it's an exciting time of the year, particularly if you've got young children, and then discovering you know, families, traditions and mix in all those feelings and they completely override any sort of logical way of thinking. And as a result, we over indulge, and we over indulge in gifts, We over indulge in food, We over indulge perhaps on holidays and catching up with friends and you know, all the kids' activities and travel and hosting everyone over and thinking, oh, just this once, you know, or you know it's only you know, this time of the year, and you know, before we know it, you know, the stress of the pressure, the so for social obligations, and then boxing day sales, fear missing out, boom like oh whoopsies, we blue out, a financial blowout and we are left holding the financial damage.
Speaker 1: Okay, if we are going to do a money bounce back plan, these kinds of things are best broken up into steps. I'm not going to call it a list today. It's going to be a step to program. How many steps would you like to put on this non list?
Speaker 3: I was I think instruction steps that we think maybe maybe do five five.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is the five step program, the money the five step money bounce back plan.
Speaker 3: We need a fast bounce back, So I would like to do ten just so you know, but we're going to do five.
Speaker 1: We're going to stick with five. Okay, Step number one. What's the very first thing that people should do if they've looked at the bank account after Christmas, after New Year's and just felt a little bit of panic?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: First of all, guilt does not fix anything. Clarity does.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So we've.
Speaker 3: Got to get those numbers down pen to paper. You can't bounce back from something that you can't see, So let's first of all, like get really clear. Let's create the awareness so that we can start putting steps in place so that that bounce back happens quickly. So what does that mean, Well, it means we've got to log in and look at the numbers. As scary as they may be and as much as we really don't want it, but we need to know exactly how much money have we actually spent and where did it come from, Like did we take it out of a special savings account that we shouldn't of or did we blow all our money before payday? Or did we use our credit card or did we sign up to buy an hour pay later, Like what's left? Who do we owe? Like what are the balances, what are the interest rates? Everything's got to be written down.
Speaker 2: Is this.
Speaker 1: That makes complete sense to actually go in and look at it and see very basi really what's actually there? Is this how some people get themselves in real trouble because you just can't face it. Yes, they're the sand, bury your head in the sand. But because it's the start of the year, and because you're dealing with some debt leftover from last year, bury your head in the sand at the start of the year. Is this just going to set yourself up to fail because it's going to snowball and spiral and keep going through.
Speaker 3: The year compound and you'll be chasing your tail. And the longer this goes, the harder it is to get back on top of it. And you're wasting, wasting such precious time, time that can be used on building wealth rather than paying off regretfulness, not regretful, that's the wrong word.
Speaker 1: But you know the thing is, it's been done, done, it's in the past. There's nothing you can do to stop it from happening. It's now just about how do you recover from it?
Speaker 3: And it starts by getting clear.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's step number one. What's step number.
Speaker 3: Two, Let's stop the bleeding.
Speaker 2: Oh I like that.
Speaker 1: It's a first aid reference, so you're applying pressure to the wound.
Speaker 3: So this is where we stabilize your finances. So we have basically like I'd say, if you can do this, make it a fun and financial challenge. So we hit pause on all the discretionary spending for the next day two to four weeks, and we delay anything that's not urgent. So go aggressively through your budget, through your statements, and look whatever you can cancel or freeze, particularly if there are things that you're not using or don't need immediately. So it's all about spending only intentionally, not automatically. So if you used to maybe going out every weekend, you know, to the pub, you'd say, I'm not going to go to the pub this weekend. I'm just going to hang out at home and save my money. So it's about creating a bit of I guess, a financial respite to breathe, and any money that you're able to save up in the meantime, you can go towards putting like a band aid to stop the bleeding of your finances.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of frugal February coming in there, isn't it.
Speaker 3: There is that very fam moss fun financial challenge that we might do together.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, I know, just coming up in just a few weeks. That's exciting. That makes sense though, that you've got to stop the bleeding because it's going to be hard to make any headway if you're still spending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just literally got to stop spending. Leave your wallet at home, change your activities. You know, don't go wandering around the shops looking at shops because you'll just find things that you want to buy and it's going to deplete your energy. Just just change so only for the short term.
Speaker 1: And it's the time of year as well, to embrace free activities as well, because it's warm. It's nice to go out to the to the beach or to the park or something, or go to the library where there's aircon and you just you don't have to spend any money there things right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's number two.
Speaker 1: And I realized I've just made myself sound like a massive nerd because that would be high my priority list. I'll just go and live in the library for library. I absolutely do step number three.
Speaker 3: And that is to create im perfect timing of frugal February, a thirty day money reset for yourself, so you would track every single dollars. You've done the pause, you've stopped spending, but now it's about changing things going forward, So tracking the dollar only spending with physical cash or your direct debit cards. You're not creating any new debt in your life and doing things reverting back to a very simple life, richly simple life. So looking at simple meals, you know, not creating this expensive gourmet meals. Just something very easy, simple and cost effective, even entertaining. As I said, you know, not going to the pub. Maybe have a friend over for a drink, or don't go out for lunch, go for a walk with your friend. Like really changing up your lifestyle and learning to use what you've already got. Go through the pantry, go through the freezer. You know, if you do have to go to something, you know, shop your own wardrobe is what my girlfriend says, and stick to a set budget so that you don't go crazy. You've got some stanity money, but you can oh go to the library, yes, yes, Oh my gosh, a couple of first a paper, go to the library. Yes, for everybody listening, Michael likes to go to the library, and he highly recommends everybody else to save money goes to the library. I go to the library too, and I love it.
Speaker 1: I was trying to get you just to seamlessly work it in that way, work one of your own financial tips.
Speaker 3: I love going to the library too. But one of my problems is is there is a Calipress cafe right underneath my local library, so and I always associate cali Press with getting a not very healthy assy ball. So it ends up costing me sixteen dollars to go to the library because I can't go to the library without this. All right, So, really it's about hitting doing things, really going aggressively and doing a complete financial reset just to stop the spending and to help free up the cash flow so you can just clear the debt.
Speaker 1: Do you do them at the same time or is it one after the other, because I'm thinking that if you were to do a two week pause on discretionary spending, right, that will take you through to the start of February, for instance, and then you can just do frugal February as you're a thirty day or in this case, twenty eight day money reset where you are monitoring all of your money and you are living that more frugal life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the first step is more about going aggressively, and then the second step also is more about building sustainable habits that will also benefit you and also give you a great insight as to what actually does fill your cup. You know, for example, catching up with a friend for a walk. Is that Did you get more enjoyment doing that than say, sitting in front of it at a table at a restaurant, you know, an expensive lunch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just chatting over some books at the library.
Speaker 1: There we go, All right, very quick break. We are coming back then with steps four and five. Are you really going to be able to polish this one off in just five steps?
Speaker 3: Little faith, I've got.
Speaker 1: Lots of faith, but I've also seen you time and time again just squeeze an extra step in there at the end. Better not do that this time? Are you going to you better believe.
Speaker 3: This is the most important step coming up?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, okay, great tease. We will come back for the most important step into a moment.
Speaker 2: Cana.
Speaker 1: We are putting together a five step money bounce back planned so far.
Speaker 2: Step one is.
Speaker 1: Expose it, get it out there, actually look at it and see exactly what damage has been done, understand it, understand it. Then stop the bleeding. A two to four week pause on discretionary spending, then a thirty day money reset where you're tracking every dollar and just kind of getting back to basics really.
Speaker 3: And understanding what is sustainable, what new habits you can form that you actually don't mind and actually aren't a sacrifice at all because they can serve you for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Step number four before the break, you said that this was the most important step.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is to pay off the debt.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point.
Speaker 3: Assuming you've pay off the debt or actually replenished those savings accounts. If you didn't get into debt, it actually tapped into savings that you shouldn't have actually used.
Speaker 2: So you do that.
Speaker 3: If you are in debt, you need to use something called my hitless strategy. Now, this is an aggressive strategy that taps into the psychology of money. Is not necessarily the most not necessarily the most financially savvy way of doing it, but it is where you focus on the smallest debt first rather than the most expensive debt first, not necessarily ranking it in order of the highest interest to the lowest interest, but the smallest deebt to the biggest debt. And the reason why it works, and I've coached and counseled thousands of people out of huge amounts of debt, is because it taps into the psychology of money in that each debt or each person that you owe money to is like juggling balls. If you're juggling, say seven balls, if I take one ball out of the air, it just becomes that little bit easier. So how do we get a ball out of the air quickest, Well, we get rid of one of the debts, So we'll go for the smallest one first because that's quickly and easy to hit. So you're literally punching your way through. So what that involves is obviously looking at the cash flow that you've been able to free up from doing steps one, two, and three, and then directing it towards the smallest debt first, and you make a list and you cross it off. Of course, you must honor those responsibilities or your financial responsibilities of each debts. You have a minimum payment plan for every single debt, so you're not getting calls by debt collectors and potentially damaging your credit score because if there is a repayment plan in place, but you work through the list and you will find that you're What happens is it taps into the psychology of money and you're building momentum. You can actually go, Okay, I don't owe seven people money. I now owe six people money. I now owe five people my money, and you just flow that through because it creates a routine, a rhythm of momentum. The habit system you can then use is to then start building up savings and emergency money, so you never rely on debt. Now, for the people who did not get into debt, they just have used money savings that they shouldn't have used. You do need to do pretty much the same sort of thing. You need to replenish that money. So what you would do is go back to the budget and look at what repayment plans like it is if it was a debt, and have that payment plan go back into those savings accounts so you can rebuild those savings as quickly as you possibly can.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes you are right. That is the most important step, and you wouldn't be able to do any of that without step one of knowing exactly what you have spent. Because you are trying to particularly if you've used your own money rather than debt, right, you are going to need to know exactly what you've spent so that you can replenish it.
Speaker 3: You can't bounce back from something you can't see. You can't hit a target that you can't see.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I like that. That's step number four. Step number five bring it home strong, okay.
Speaker 3: That is to build your buffer. Use this as an opportunity to be smarter with money. For example, take a hangover. Yeah, I don't know whether you've ever been hungover or not, but you know you think, Okay, where did I go wrong? Well? I was drinking in the sun, or okay I didn't you know, I drank too much too quickly, or I didn't have enough water in between. Like, think about where you went wrong so that if you do have another drink, you know how to actually drink responsibly. Exactly the same with money. Where did I go wrong?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I underestimated how much money I actually needed for Christmas, or I got carried away with all the amazing sales are on, or I didn't write a proper Christmas list of people I need to buy for, or I didn't account for the cost of traveling, you know, or hosting people, or the cost of alcohol in my you know, Christmas expenses. So look to the lesson and then look at that lesson and what that cost is, and make sure that you have a buffer going forward. And this is where you can look to set up like a regular savings plan the moment you've cleared that dead and replenished those savings, so that you don't repeat history, you don't make the same mistake again.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're actually, even though it's January, you're already planning ahead for.
Speaker 3: December, knowing that there is a chance you could make the same mistake, but it's not going to come at a financial cost this time because you're ahead of it. And it's not about where you got wrong. It's about doing things wiser and smarter.
Speaker 1: It's a great motivator, isn't it. Yeah, except for the fact that for a lot of people it just happens each year anyway. But that's why if you do it now while those feelings are still fresh, and put those systems in place so that by the time you get round to December, it's you're fine and automated.
Speaker 3: Do you know twenty dollars a week, I mean there's an extra thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yea makes a massive difference.
Speaker 1: One final question, and this is the thing that always gets me, is the fact that right after Christmas you've got back to school and with that comes kind of uniforms, the various kind of tech requirements, all of those extracurricular activities starting up again are all expensive. Right if you are dealing with trying to bounce back from the Christmas hangover, how on earth then do you deal with this next big financial hit, which is potentially the return to school or the return to work or anything like that, where you're suddenly going to have to start spending money again.
Speaker 3: Well, this is exactly where I am because my son is going into year seven, he's changing schools and oh my goodness, the list of items that he needs. It is frightening and it's come a bit of a shock to me, I will admit. So what I've done is made a full list of absolutely everything that he needs and I've got a list of what he needs immediately to start the year off, but there's also a list of what can wait until, like the weather changes or the particular sport uniform that he needs, he won't be starting that until the cooler months. So I've got the two different lists, and then also going through and checking everything that we've already got at home. You know, for example, some of the last year's supplies that he's used at school he can reuse. And you know, most schools do have a secondhand uniform shop where and you can also swap with other parents, you know, if you've got I know some friends of mine who've got younger kids, I can actually give some of Roco's uniforms to them. And there are people above Rocko who wrote need their uniforms. We can do a bit of a swap and pass things around. And you know, the mistake I've made is when my kids have started school, I bought them brand new, just one of brand new, thinking a lot of at least they had their one brand new T shirt and the rest will be secondhands. They ruin them within a couple of minutes. They get stains, you know, they get jump in the mud, there's paint like it. I'm no longer buying brand new anything like the blazer that's something he'll wear for you know, a couple of years different. But everything else is going to be secondhand.
Speaker 2: That is it.
Speaker 3: And it is a fraction of the price, like I'm talking ninety percent cheaper. And you know, try and you know, spread those purchases out as much as you think, oh God, I've gotta buy everything on this list, you don't have to, you know, spread out as much as you possibly can and stick to a limited shop around. You know, don't buy it all from one store. You know, Office Works is brilliant. They'll often beat the competitor's price, you know, using apps like Ziffed or using Amazon's great as well, because you can see other products at a different price or might be a bit more but a bit more appropriate. It might be more versatile, might be you know, have more longevity for that particular product. So like deep Breath, it is okay, but it is definitely overwhelming. But this is I found definitely helped me in getting through an expensive time of the year.
Speaker 1: You have done a five step program in just five steps, which I think is that honestly the first time.
Speaker 3: I've got one for good luck, though I'm joking. I told you solutions is to stop trying to.
Speaker 1: Let go of my OCD just and not squeeze extra steps and tips in there. Now, look, that's great list though, expose it is number one. Stop the bleeding. Number two, create a thirty day money reset is number three. Number four, pay off the debt or basically put the money back where it belongs, where it came from, if you spend your own money. And then finally number five, build your buffer so that you can avoid hopefully the same thing happening again. That is a five step money bounce back plan. I reckon, that's pretty good. I know that I was here, so I can't really judge it appropriately, but I would say that's at least ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: Why, thank you?
Speaker 1: I should have gone with five stars because it's a five step program. Sorry, missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: Why don't we ask our listeners to leave us a five star rating and review? Oh they're enjoying these.
Speaker 1: That is a fantastic idea. Yeah, wherever you're listening, a five star rating and a review is very very much appreciated.
Speaker 2: He cannup. Where do we find you if we want more information.
Speaker 3: The best place to get in contact with me is on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to follow on the podcast. That is very important and the best thing that you can do is tell somebody else spread the words. Send them a link to this episode so they can hear it too. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week