Speaker 1: Oh yes, it's our Friday ap on Healthy Ish, the daily podcast from Body and Soul, and we are chatting through the hottest topics in the health and wellness world this week. I am the host, Felicity Hallie and joining me today is our producer Tabby Wilson. And I think you're gonna like what we're talking about today. Tabby, nice to have you back on the pod.
Speaker 2: How are you always excited to be behind the microphone with you? I've been well, thank good. I've been enjoying this winter chill that we've had.
Speaker 1: How's that foot of yours? Because last time you were here on the podcast you had a soft fought. Are you back running?
Speaker 2: I am back running. I did my first Friend yesterday for Sydney listeners. I did a bit of the Bay Run, stopped at four kilometers as per Physio's instructions, which I'm very proud of myself for following. I think everyone has been known to take them where a grain of salt. By really did listen and I stopped it for kilometers and it feels good. I'm just making sure I'm really staying on top of that.
Speaker 1: Stretching, yeap, stretching all the way I also like the bay run that's not far from me, so next time you're down there, we can do the whole thing when you well. Yeah, now, Tabby, we need to talk about the most interesting and actually it was also one of the most clique stories of the week on Body andsoul dot com. I actually couldn't go past this one. Now, we all know how important sleep is for our health and well being, but according to experts, your sleeping position and your habits could be causing or exacerbating a range of health issues. So in this story it was called your sleeping position could shorten your lifespan. We spoke to a bunch of experts about different sleeping positions, and each sleeping position has its pros and cons and understanding them can help you make those little adjustments for better sleep and health outcomes. But before I talk through the positions, what's your go to sleeping position?
Speaker 2: Taping? I was nervous about you asking me this because I'm fairly sure that mine will be the one that's the worst for you.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: I always fall asleep on my back, but I always end up kind of on my front, but with one leg up, which is the one that they're always like this is terrible for your hips. But I'm a deep sleeper. I can't adjust in the night.
Speaker 1: It's hard to adjust, isn't it. Okay, well let's start with the back. Okay. The cons if you're a back sleeper is that you're more inclined to suffer from sleep abnia. Now, this is interrupted breathing and also snoring. So I don't know if you do either of those, but that comes from sleeping on your back. And basically, if you want a solution to helping this, the optimal position for spine alignment is actually lying on your back with a pillow under beneath your knees, which actually softens the back area. So this actually preserves the natural contours of the spine. So if you start off on your back, maybe put the pillow under your knees and then if you flipped to.
Speaker 2: Your I be recommending that. I'll be recommending that to my partner who snores. Okay, Yes, that's a good top tip.
Speaker 1: Now if you said on your front, now there are actually some pros to this. It can reduce your snoring, so yeah, he needs to move on his front, and it can open your airways. But the cons are neck and back pain because you know, we all know when you sleep on your front, you twist your neck to the side and that can put strain on your neck and stomach. Sleeping can also arch your spine to add to that, direct pressure on your face can also contribute to wrinkles over time. So oh god, well, your solution is to use a thinner pillow if you want to sleep on your front.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's another good top tip. This is a good article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I realized this and just quickly the side position this is actually my favorite sleeping position. Now for women, it can lead to hip and back issues and men sholdy issues. So the sleep experts that we spoke to for the story recommends slide sleepers use a thick pillow for optimal neck and spine alignment, and also another pillow to place between your knees to support the hips and lessen the strain on your lower back. Okay, yeah, there we go, here we go. And you know, actually, I actually do have a pillow that I put between my knees, but I call it my hug pillow. And it comes to think, I'm like, Tom, have you got my hug pillow? Where's hug pillow. I need my hug pillow.
Speaker 2: Part of that intensive sleeping routine that he loves so much.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Tabby, share with us what piqued your interest this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I have another one from Body and so they have been putting out some bangers in the past couple of weeks, and this one is all about castor oil, which you may have seen on your TikTok feed. As you know, I love a TikTok trend, but this one perhaps has some dangerous side effects. So creators on TikTok, I've been claiming that caster oil can detol the body. And I would say that our first red flag here is the word detox in all TikTok trends. When we have detox in there, it normally ends with diarrhea, which is what has happened with this, which is what has happened with this castor oil trend. So expects have jumped on to quickly kind of combat this trend and explain that castor oil activates certain receptors in your intestines which kind of pushes your food through really quickly. All negative side effects here, and it can really inhibit fluid absorption in the gut. Which is what's causing those accelerated bowl movements. So obviously nobody wants that A and B. It results in things like dehydration, malnutrition, and electrolyte imbalance. So I think it's another example of when we need to kind of give these TikTok trends a benefit of the doubt. The one that comes to mind for me is the internal shower. Similar kind of energy from that one, and just always take these trends with a pinch of salt and do your research from actual registered medical and health experts before you embark on regular castor oil ingestion.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it must taste revolting. And by the way, just go and eat some fruit, Like, just go and eat a packet of blueberries. It that'll give you the same.
Speaker 2: So cheer Sea, it's exactly.
Speaker 1: I'll give you the same kind of flush through that castor all does.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, just quickly before we go, I want to share some research which came out last week which I thought was really pertinent to all of us on the podcast. We talk a lot about tech and mental health on this podcast, and a new report from Anglia Ruskin Universe in the UK came out. It was published in the journal World Psychiatry, and basically it was a comprehensive examination of the latest scientific evidence on screen time and mental health, and it confirmed it's what we are looking at, rather than how much time we spend online that influences our health and well being. So I thought that was really interesting. So perhaps instead of scrolling on TikTok about castoral and watching carstoral videos for thirty minutes, you might be better off reading some literature I don't know, or some research or something that's going to help enhance your health and well being. So what the author's really emphasized out of this study was the importance of taking an individualized and multi dimensional approach to how the internet affects mental health. And really this is about knowing what your triggers are. So, for example, if you know that unrealistic body shapes may trigger you, or if people working out the gym and getting buff may trigger you, will then stop looking at that content. I know that sounds simple, but it's amazing how sometimes we get on that bandwagon. We know it triggers us, we keep on looking looking and we don't stop. So I just quite like this because I thought it was more. It wasn't saying stop your screen time, which many studies obviously do for mental health and well being. It's more saying curate what you look at to help enhance your well being.
Speaker 2: And I was going to say curating your Instagram feed is something that we can all do. I think all of us can go through and delete some of those creators who, perhaps you feel, if not a directly detrimental to your mental health, people who you don't really gain any value from. I think that's a nice, tantible step that we can all take.
Speaker 1: A good reminder, Tabby, thanks for joining us. We'll see you soon. See you soon. If you do want to read any of those stories from today, especially the sleepy one, that's a goody. I will leave a link to it in the show notes. If you did enjoy this chat, jump on at rate and review it, or of course, you can subscribe to this podcast, Shit is It with a friend? Spread the healthy Love, Don't Forget. Our print edition is in your local Sunday paper. You can follow us on socials, jump online, bodyansoul dot com, dot you, and until tomorrow, stay healthysh