Speaker 1: Peto Quedlin live from New twenty four.
Speaker 2: What do you expect of the Prime Minister? Maxige Goose himself on social media? Good evening, Welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Credline, the housing debate hots up. The Coalition finally today putting some sort of number on net migration, but is it official policy? Up with that to the Opposition leader Angus Taylor, who joins me live a little later, plus still with the coalition. News twenty four Pulse poll has the opposition primary vote closing in now on both One Nation and the government, as Angus Taylor starts the climb back from the catastrophic wreckage of Susan Lee's time as leader.
Speaker 3: More on that with Tom Connell.
Speaker 2: Pluster reports tonight Asio will get secret powers to investigate university research ties with hostile nations and we'll look at more fuel or over Australia's de radicalization programs. And Angus Taylor today going hard on the Prime Minister over his crude treatment at the Japanese PM as Albin Ezi digs in and refuses to apologize.
Speaker 4: Why won't the Prime Minister stop treating us like fools? Manner and say sorry to the Prime Minister of Japan.
Speaker 2: We will stay with that issue because is it any wonder that people have lost faith in politicians when our Prime Minister is a purveyor of smart and repeatedly appears to have what can only be described as a pathological aversion to the truth. It's one thing to make a mistake, quite another to refuse to admit it and character eroding, to double down and then insist you did nothing wrong. But that's the mo the modus of runde of Anthony Albanezi, and he is shameless, whether it's falling off a stage and then denying what was clearly caught on camera.
Speaker 5: Stepped off the stage.
Speaker 6: I didn't fall over on my backside.
Speaker 5: I stumbled, That's what happened.
Speaker 2: Or a negging on election commitments to cut household power.
Speaker 6: Bills reducing power prices by two hundred and seventy five dollars two hundred and seventy five.
Speaker 4: Dollars two hundred and seventy five.
Speaker 2: Dollars a year, or that promise made some fifty times plus by his own reckoning not to touch taxes on investments.
Speaker 7: Can you rule out any changes to negative gearing and capital gains taxes.
Speaker 5: How hard is it for the fiftieth time.
Speaker 2: The Prime minister's pattern of deceit, well, it now defines him and that's deadly, particularly when facing off against the likes of Pauline Hanson, who is nothing but a straight shooter, even where her candor costs her votes.
Speaker 8: I think disgusting that the Prime Minister can't even admit whether he got two melons, and this is the way he goes about this on air. I think it's disgusting. We know what the hell he was talking about.
Speaker 2: I was in the House of Representatives that day when Julia Gillard came in like a galleon with sales full and cannons ready, as Tony Abbott stood at the dispatch box and demanded that she sacked Peter Slipper, her turncoat speaker, for highly derogatory comments that Slipper had made about female genitalia published in the media that morning. But because the removal of Slipper could have sent her hung Parliament to the polls, Gillard defended the indefensible deploying that now infamous misogyny speech to save her own political skin at the expense of.
Speaker 3: Women and girls.
Speaker 2: Now, can you imagine the outrage if Abbott had made hand gestures about Melon's and a female politician, rather than merely as he did look at his watch, or Scott Morrison or Peter Dutton. Not only was Albanese's mocking of a generous ceremonial gift from his Japanese counterpart ill judged given the concern that Tokyo already has about his closest to Beijing, but to use clearly sexual innuenda innuendo to Garners social media likes at the expense of our allies first ever female leader was crass beyond belief. When was the last time that the member for grain Love stood on the stage to give a sober economic speech as opposed according influences with vacuous questions to even more vacuous vacuous answers to even more vacuous questions.
Speaker 5: Budget late next week, listen up, very surreal.
Speaker 6: Jeers by Abes and welcome to Happy Hour with Lucy Nikki and the Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's running the media strategy in his office or any of these labor offices anyway? So enamored are they all with TikTok sound bites and trending reels.
Speaker 5: Mister Christmas to speak.
Speaker 2: That labors Delulu if they think drivel like this goes down well with everyday Australians at a time where their house values are tanking, crimes spiking, and people are worried about whether they can cover their power bills. It's indulgent. It cheapens the high office that he occupies. He doesn't own it, It just occupies it. Not that Alvin Easy or his team appreciate that subtle but critical difference. What stays me is the gas lighting. He insults our intelligence, pretending that in a discussion about melons and Pamela Anderson whilst juggling his chairs, hands in front of his chest, as if it's anything other than what.
Speaker 3: We know it was. The Japanese Prime Minister brought a melon? Did she smuggle it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Got a couple of melons she brought too, She brought too, as you.
Speaker 2: Do, Pamela Anderson melons. I mean, this is straight out of the Daniel Andrews playbook.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Try and tell people that what they saw they saw it as black nut.
Speaker 3: It's white that what.
Speaker 2: He did he didn't do, or what he said he didn't say. I mean, give me a contrite, Peter Beatty any time. Give me any politician ready to say sorry when they make a mistake, rather than one like this that treats us with such contempt. And speaking of contempt, I don't know who deserves the opprobrium more mister Albert Sleezy or his handbag hit squad of mean girls as they raced out to defend what, if said by anyone else, would have been worse than a war crime. Just like none of them seem to have watched the degrading so called skit involving the mining billionaire Gina Reinheart, saying that it was a matter for the ABC that they could not comment on the content. What was it about the conservative politics of Sano Takahatchi that meant she was denied that a ritual defense so readily granted to women on the left. How galling must be for these labor women. I mean, they're used as sheerler shields for alban easy, but how weak of them to go along with it. In my day, women politicians told to get out there and defend the indefensible would have told the person at the end of the phone it gets staffed, but not these women of modern labor, quick to lecture all of us about a kind of gentler parliament, quick to lecture about the need for quotas to give women a fair go, and yet so quick to produce themselves to be little more than Patsy's for a craftsman who's diminishing faster than even his critics would believe. The Prime Minister has been very clear that the type of inference that you're applying there is not what he was.
Speaker 9: What we have heard from the Japanese side of this is there has been a sensationalized reporting of something that, as the Prime Minister has been very clear about, has been mischaracterized.
Speaker 10: The comments and the remarks from the Prime Minister have been misinterpreted. The Prime Minister is very clear that he did not mean for those comments to be interpreting the way they have by some media outlets and by our political opponents.
Speaker 2: Come on, girls, we will see you. But no one should be surprised by that. Look at the track record of these women and their treatment of liberals like Linda Reynolds and Fiona Brown, both now exonerated over allegations they acted to damage Britney Higgins, and yet still no apology for either woman. Spare thought too for their own colleague who had the courage to call them Mount Kimberly Kitchen, the late ALP senator ostracized by her own side for daring to warn Reynolds of the coming storm, or fellow labor victorian the late Jane Garrett, who showed incredible bravery holding fast to ministerial standards that were then being debased by Daniel Andrews, as laid out in last week's long awaited Iback report. When it comes to integrity the left of frauds, I couldn't imagine Peter Malinowskis or Chris Min's behaving as the Prime Minister did in that low rent podcast. I couldn't imagine Kim Beasley entertaining a question about shagging Kylie Mino. I just can't every guests he gets asked these shag Mary date Kylie Minogue, Nicole Kidman or Ronda Birchmore.
Speaker 3: I've just got married, I'm only six months in. Well, if it goes tits up, let's just pretend.
Speaker 2: Oh Kylie, clearly he married Kylie and Shagger and data.
Speaker 4: All of the above.
Speaker 2: I mean, how unedifying is that None of that now notorious podcast was broadcast live, none of it.
Speaker 3: It was all pre recorded there that's the sitting room.
Speaker 2: At the lodge, So how did it even make its way to air? There's something off, creepy off about Albertez's desperation to be faded by twenty somethings. Maybe it's because, having once had his face on a can of beer, it's all gone to his head now. I don't know about this DJ Albow, but that's not who I want to see on the international stage representing my country. I mean, are we really going back to the days of beating Hill with this bloke? Give me a daggy John Howard in a tract suit any day. Humility will now be the biggest test for the Prime minister. Will he have the intestinal fortitude to personally apologize to the Japanese Prime Minister and to the Australian public who know exactly what they saw on that podcast.
Speaker 3: Well we will see. But today, whether it's a.
Speaker 2: Travel roads of his MPs or his own budget lies. Almines has got a glass jaw, and that means he rarely admits to being wrong, even when he is, and to all those labor women who are out on camera this week defending him, that footage is there.
Speaker 3: We'll keep it so that the next.
Speaker 2: Time you get on your high horse when someone offends your gender sensibilities or we will use it when you go out there and you defend the indefensible, like you are now rendering your right to criticize others, because yet again, the standard you are walking past as labor women is the standard you accept now. Honestly, ladies, how low will you go? Let's get the headlines out of Canberra. Political reporter Ruven Spargo.
Speaker 11: Good evening the Prime Minister is refusing to apologize to his Japanese counterpart over the melon controversy. Pauline Hanson is taking Anthony Albenezi to task over his podcast appearance.
Speaker 8: The way he goes about this on a I think it's disgusting. We know what the hell he was talking about.
Speaker 11: The Coalition has asked the Federal Police to investigate who leaked diplomatic correspondents from Japan over the incident.
Speaker 4: Why won't the Prime Minister stop treating us like fools? Man up and say sorry to the Prime Minister of Japan.
Speaker 12: My office and my team have spent four years carefully rebuilding our relationships.
Speaker 11: Labour insists the podcast appearance has not damaged to Australia's relationship with Japan. The Coalition is vowing to slash a long list of construction standards in a bid to lower the cost of building homes and tackle Australia's housing shortfall. It wants to cut more than two thousand pages of building rules down to just eighty Everything beyond basic safety standards would become an optional extra, including accessibility and energy efficiency requirements.
Speaker 13: It is illegal to build a cheap house in Australia, which is outrageous. The house won't be gold plated, but it won't fall down.
Speaker 11: The Coalition has confirmed it wants to cut net overseas migration to fewer than one hundred and eighty thousand people a year to ease pressure on housing demand.
Speaker 2: There are good signs here of improvement for the Coalition if you have a look at the trend under Angus Taylor's leadership. The Coalition is starting to close the gap on both One Nation and the Government, and there's a boost in personal support too for the opposition leader. News twenty four Chief Election analyst Tom Connell has more.
Speaker 14: Peter, the gap between the Coalition and One Nation is something we've been monitoring. It has closed again. The latest news twenty four Pulse. Not a lot of movement in this primary vote, but one nation down. The one percentage point in the gap is now at two percent.
Speaker 15: So why this focus.
Speaker 1: Well, let's track this.
Speaker 14: Over time and look at the primary vote of what i'll call the Big three, going back to November last year. Labor then was still clearly in front of thirty two percent. One Nation had begun to surge, remember six percent of the election, so it's up to eighteen here the coalition on twenty five, a summer dominated by the Bondai terror attack. We had one nation edging ahead by January, but not a big margin, twenty three to nineteen. In February Susan Lee was replaced by March. The Coalition gap and One Nation gap is growing. It's nine percentage point and then the peak coming at the end of June thirteen percentage points. That's massive, but it has closed up pretty quickly. In July it was down to six percentage points. Then you get to now August, it's only two percent. The open question we don't know the answer. Has one nation peaked after perhaps what we'd call a post Bondi surge the Prime minister's personal numbers. Meanwhile, they have dipped again. Satisfied is down and dissatisfied up, so down three percent overall the minus twenty one percent net satisfaction That is about where Peter Dutton was before the last election, but it's still well ahead of where Susan.
Speaker 1: Lee got to.
Speaker 15: Let's look at the opposition leaders net satisfaction over time as well. Beginning in February.
Speaker 14: This was when Susan Lee had her last result minus forty percent net satisfaction, so comparing those unhappy with her compared to happy, that is about as bad as it gets. There was an instant bump for Angus Taylor back up to minus eight percent, and then maybe it's a honeymoon period.
Speaker 15: He got to almost neutral at minus.
Speaker 14: One a pretty sustained slide after then May jun in July down to minus sixteen percent, but in our latest poll he's received a much needed boost, up five percentage.
Speaker 15: Points in one poll at minus eleven.
Speaker 14: Now, any leader would rather be in positive territory, but in opposition your job is to criticize, particularly early.
Speaker 15: On in a term when you're not fleshing out your own plan.
Speaker 14: So if you look at these numbers minus eleven overall and at the moment heading in the right direction he needs to get his primary vote up, these numbers themselves, they won't be.
Speaker 15: A major concern for Angus Taylor, all right.
Speaker 2: One political observation I bake there on that movement. As Tom said, there was a bit of a boost for Angus Taylor's personal ratings and there was a bit of a slide and then there's been a boost back again. A lot of that, in my view, has to do with when Parliament is on and in that hiatus when it fell away. The high point was obviously around the Budget reply speech he gave in Budget week. When it falls away, it's when the opposition's not in a around Parliament, they're not in the mix at night in the media and they're not pumping out the content as they normally do. So this will be something that the opposition will have to watch closely.
Speaker 3: Let's get into the other issues.
Speaker 2: I've got a Padel now joining me and News threenty four contributor Cali cats and Barness and Deputy and director at the Institute of Public Affairs, Dan Wild. Welcome to you both, Carolee. I want to start with Question Time today. They pushed really hard on the Prime Minister, who is still refusing to apologize for the crude and sexist gestures about the Japanese Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: Have a listen.
Speaker 4: Why won't the Prime Minister stop treating us like fools? Man up and say sorry to the Prime Minister of Japan.
Speaker 6: Can the Prime Minister assure the House that neither his office nor his department leaked official and private correspondence from the government of Japan. The Prime Minister has now been asked three times why he will not apologize to the Prime Minister of Japan for his appalling behavior on the Bush Deep podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, we all know what we saw.
Speaker 2: I think out there in the real world people know exactly what they saw. And this defense by the Prime Minister, digging in the defense by all these women in this front bench saying it's all been misinterpreted. I don't think this is going to help him at all. This is not when Rudd went to the Scores nightclub, the strip club in New York. This is coming after a female counterpart world leader.
Speaker 3: It's a very very different thing, Kroly.
Speaker 16: It shows a lack of respect to the Japanese Prime Minister, and it also shows a lot of arrogance and Hubrit's midway through the second term. The thing is you can't change what you don't acknowledge. And the bottom line is if Anthony Albanezi doesn't think that what he said and did is offensive, doesn't matter how many times people try and point that out. He won't accept it because there is no class to the man and he is not a leader. The interesting thing to me is Tanya Plibersic, as we know, seen as a long term rival from the same left faction as him. She was left on you know, morning television having to defend him, and we know that that's a poison chalice, isn't it. Because he dumped her originally from education, put her an environment, then dumped her from that, put her to water, put her to social services.
Speaker 3: So he's got a.
Speaker 16: Right where he wants her. You've then got Katie Gallagher, the finance who came out as well, well you know the alleged allegations before as being.
Speaker 3: One of the mean girls.
Speaker 16: He's got these women trying to defend him, who in their own right have their own issues in the public eye as well. And I just think it is incredibly rude because as we know with the Prime MINISTERY has a history of this, you know that Tetchie press conference where he's at all for the fiftieth time, we're not going to change, you know, to capital gains tax or negative gearing, and he did. We've had the two hundred and seventy five dollars energy bill credit that didn't come out.
Speaker 3: We've had the.
Speaker 16: Fall off the stage. I stepped off the stage. We've had the promise of him going to the Northern Territory to the Gama Festival, he hasn't done that. And then poor Diddams he hasn't had a day off in a year, so he went to take leave. I just think the fact that he's not acknowledging this shows that he has something to hide. And regardless of what he says, he seems to dine out on, the eyes of.
Speaker 3: The world are on Australia.
Speaker 16: Well, he needs to wake up and realize that our standing in the world, this is headlining around the world still and the fact that he's refusing to apologize is just disgraceful because he did say it, he did do it. The vision is there, and what can you say? He's an embarrassment to Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm calling him Melvo sleazy Dan. I think that's one part of the problem. The other is this ridiculous defense by these women. I mean, I would not get out there and defend the indefensible. Would no matter what a Prime Minister's office woulded have threatened me with.
Speaker 3: I just wouldn't have that against my name. So you know them and they are weak to do that.
Speaker 2: But I guess my biggest issue really with the whole thing is it's the trust deficit. You know, this bloke is a pathological liar. It's now part of the narrative Dan about him. And this I think is really rich territory for the opposition heading into an election because if you can't trust anything this bloke says, how on earth can he be re elected?
Speaker 15: Well, that's right.
Speaker 7: And I think also the point that you've made tonight and the other night was the hypocrisy of this all. I mean, just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Imagine if this was a center right political leader. Imagine this was Angus Taylor or Matt Canavan who made comments like this, you can imagine the reaction would be apocalyptic from the media and from labor and from the Green So the hypocrisy is something that frustrates me and frustrates many Australians in addition to the obvious gas lighting.
Speaker 15: I mean, this is what's so annoying.
Speaker 7: We are constantly told by a political leader is don't believe your own eyes. Whether it's to do with immigration, don't believe your own eyes, whether it's to do with living standards going backwards, don't believe your own eyes, or whether it's to do with the actual words and the actions that the Prime Minister said and the Prime Minister performed. Everybody knows what he was gesturing. Everybody know what he meant. Just fess up and apologize and move on. And the fact that he won't do that for me is the most frustrating and demeaning part of this whole episode.
Speaker 2: I know you've watched Dan very closely, all the numbers coming in from the ABS about migration. We've got a whole set of targets out there today. We got one in part from the Coalition, from the Housing shadow Andrew Bragg announcing net migration targets of around one hundred and eighty thousand people per year on average.
Speaker 13: Have a listen, the shortfall between number of houses built and the number of people coming in is three fifty to four hundred thousand. That and so you need to have a non summary around one hundred and eighty thousand to bridge that gap over the fort estimates period.
Speaker 4: Like that's just the range.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the non slides did it? That number?
Speaker 2: It's forty five thousand less than labor in the short term forecast. And let's not forget they've never met any of their forecasts. And it's one hundred and twenty thousand below what we saw in the actuals last year, Dan bitter meat on the bone bones here finally from the coalition, what do you make of it?
Speaker 7: Well, that number is way too high. One hundred and eighty thousand is way too high. We've had one point five million over the last few years.
Speaker 1: This is not good.
Speaker 7: And I don't know why Andrew Bragg is announcing policy that doesn't have approval. I mean I interpreted this as a direct threat, a direct challenge to Angus Taylor's leadership.
Speaker 1: Authority.
Speaker 7: Really, I think this is the first salvo in the next leadership spill against Angus Taylor. Why hasn't Angus Taylor clarified this, Why hasn't he slapped this down? Why hasn't Andrew Bragg being sent to the back bench for this? I mean this is insane. Who's running the party? Is Angus Taylor in charge or Andrew Bragg? I mean Andrew Brake himself said that this is not party policy and that no one else supports the number, So why is he putting a number out now? I get that he's housing shadow, and yes there's a nexus between housing and migration, and what Andrew Bragg said about housing was spot on, about cutting the red tape, about making sure we don't gold plate and so forth. But I don't understand why these numbers are being put out there if they're not official government, not official Liberal Party policy. It seems bizarre to me. So really, I think that Angus Taylor needs to get in control of this because if they're going to the next election with one hundred and eighty thousand and with a policy of multiculturalism, I can tell you what people are going to be taking off their blue shirts and been putting orange shirts on pretty soon because those numbers aren't going to cut it. We're not in the nineteen nineties anymore. We're not living in the Howard era. We need a dramatic, urgent, corrective action. Immigration is a national emergency. It's not just another policy. So I just think the Liberal Party needs to get in front of this, otherwise it's going to get away from them.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got Angus Taylor coming up. I'll ask him pretty much all of those questions you've just put out there. Right now, let's go to other issues. Work from home, of course, it's big everywhere. It's hitting housing, of housing, office, accommodation, caralee. Of course, in Melbourne we're told the equivalent of five mcgs will be left empty by public servants. In Victoria money paid for them though the rents paid on these buildings, and we are talking about one hundreds of millions of dollars wasted on empty public service offices and desks when people aren't even there. But it's pretty bad federally too. The Department of Home Affairs some thirty six percent of them work from home, and in the Health Department sixty one percent of that workforce work two or three, three or more days a week. It is from home currily any wonder the taxpayers are cranky.
Speaker 16: Well, and so they should be, I mean work flexibility, regardless of what your view may be on it.
Speaker 3: The fact that taxpayers are.
Speaker 16: Forking out for the Department of Home Affairs thirty six percent, as you said, are working from home.
Speaker 3: That's about three days a week.
Speaker 16: The taxpayer is forking out one hundred and fifteen million dollars in the last financial year. And at the Department of Home Affairs, sorry, Home Affairs is thirty six percent I'm sorry of working from home. That's a one hundred and fifteen million.
Speaker 15: But also at.
Speaker 16: Department of Health it's sixty one percent working from home.
Speaker 3: And that's fifty four million dollars a year.
Speaker 16: Regardless of whether it's ten extra dollars or one hundred, that is an enormous amount of money that taxpayers are just shelling out for these empty offices. And the money could be better spent in other areas as well.
Speaker 3: And it's not good. As I said, we've got in Victoria.
Speaker 2: Are you here?
Speaker 16: The Premier Ben Carroll, he has got a lot of arrogance, saying he's going to pause his work from home legislation until July next year. Is not on track to win this state election in November, but all it's working from home.
Speaker 3: You can't have both.
Speaker 16: You can't have the taxpayers shelling out for these empty offices when people want the work flexibility because every taxpayer dollars spent has to be accounted for responsibly, and it's not been.
Speaker 3: Dan just quickly.
Speaker 2: The reform to the Upper House voting ticket in Victoria. It's been a long time coming. This is a really good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, it could be.
Speaker 7: It depends on how it plays out. I mean, I'm always a bit concerned about something that could potentially limit the ability of other parties to get into the system. We know there's a lot of frustration with the two major parties as it is, So you know, something that can limit the ability of third parties or independence to get in I think should be treated pretty Some of these.
Speaker 2: Have got they've got Sorry, we've got a bit of a delay. It's hard to just jump in on that point. But we're talking about some really micro parties with you know, one or two hundred, one hundred votes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is that is true, And you know there is an issue with the never ending ballot and how many people are on it, But I'd hate to think. I mean, we've got some good people in there, like David Lindbrick. I'd hate to think that someone like him might get rubbed out or not get reelected because of this.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm a little bit skeptical of when the major parties support changes of this nature.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like it.
Speaker 2: I like to see some of the rap bags to Coventry, but we'll agree to disagree on that one.
Speaker 3: Thank you to you both.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 3: Right, after the break, we'll get more.
Speaker 2: On the opposition's plan on high migration and those comments from Anthony Elbow sleazy not going away. We'll get to those as well. Angus Taylor coming up, welcome back, coming up. You won't believe how much you're set to foot out as a bailout for the Tommigo smelter. Upwards of one billion dollars to be announced by the Prime Minister and Chris Mint tomorrow. But now to the issue that won't go away for the Prime Minister. There's calls mount for him to make a formal and personal apology to the Japanese Prime Minister following that tasteless melon's jibe here to discuss.
Speaker 3: This and more.
Speaker 2: We'll get into migration of course too. Opposition Leader Angus Taylor and Gus welcome to the program. I think Greg Sheridan summed it up best in his piece in The Australian Today.
Speaker 3: He said it it takes.
Speaker 2: A special kind of high class, refined stupidity not available to normal people for an Australian Prime Minister to choose to make crude jokes about a female Japanese prime minister. Okay, everyone makes mistakes. Why doesn't this bloke, our Prime minister, ever own up to a mistake and apologize when it gets something wrong.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, Peter. This was completely tasteless. It was beneath the office of Prime Minister to make these comments. Well, you're right, people make mistakes. But four times in question time in the last two days we've offered him the opportunity to apologize to the Japanese Prime minister. Four times he's chosen not to. Now, Peter, this was the Prime minister who said, before becoming Prime minister, when he made a mistake he would fess up. He said that straight. He's never done it. I've never heard him do it, Peter. He certainly hasn't done it in this instance. And this is a serious situation because our relationship with Japan, of course, is incredibly important at a time, a more dangerous time in the Asia Pacific than any time since the Second World War. And yet he's putting that relationship at risk and behaving this way. This is a guy who can't lie straight in bed at night and can't be honest with the Australian people. But he also can't apologize when he makes a clear error.
Speaker 2: We had some serious questions a little while ago about the Isis brides and about the Islamic state men, the Australian men. There's thirteen of them in the prison in Iraq. The Prime Minister went to ground. I can't remember the last time he gave a serious economic speech, but he can find time for these podcasters that wasn't even live. I mean, he could have declined to answer those questions about Kylie Minogue. He could have sat on his hands and you know, not done the melon thing whatever. But even if it had been put in the can, he could have not let it run like he chose to put himself on these platforms.
Speaker 3: Why can't we get a.
Speaker 2: Serious prime minister in these really serious times?
Speaker 4: Well, you're right, I mean Australians are hurting. You hear it all the time. I hear it all the time. I've been out over the last five weeks or so what's called the window recess. I've spoken to around twelve hundred businesses. I've taken spoken of thousands of Australians. And I see anger, I see grief, I see frustration. I see businesses failing at thirty a day, family businesses, small businesses where the hopes are going up in smoke. Families who can't make ends meet, they can't pay their power bills, they can't pay the mortgage. And yet this Prime Minister is carrying on in the way he does. He can't be straight to the Australian people. He lied fifty times in his own words about negative gearing and capital gains tax, and now he can't fess up when he's made a very clear error. And just listening to him in question time, I mean it's a hard place to be sitting in the opposition having to listen to this stuff. But the complete unwillingness time and time and time again to do what is very obviously he just has to say sorry. He just has to say sorry.
Speaker 3: I'll come to my in a moment.
Speaker 2: But I listened to Question Time today and you've really got on the attack about the government's decision to cut support for people over the age of sixty five to hang on to their private health insurance. It's been repeatedly raised with me on the program. I have raised it here. I've got a huge response from viewers. People say to me, I am down to two meals a day, I am cutting back on everything I can. The last thing I want to give up and I'm on a modest income. They say, the last thing I want to give up is my private health insurance.
Speaker 3: It won't hurt the rich angers.
Speaker 2: This is going to hurt people, labor, people on modest incomes. Why is the government going after seniors like this?
Speaker 4: Well, because when labor runs out of money, they come after yours. This is a government that is prepared to give welfare and home deposit support for non citizens and yet it's slashing support for private health insurance for Australians over the age of sixty five. And the facts are important here, Peter. This will be a sixteen hundred dollars hit to a typical older Australian over the age of sixty five. The ones will copy the most those over the age of seventy. And this is at a time of course in your life when you really rely on good health insurance and good health services. What we will see, and we expect we've seen modeling to say that forty percent of people will drop their coverage and that means they will go into queues and weight lists in the public system and put more pressure on that public system. Increase the weight lists, increase ambulance ramping, put more pressure on the public system, which ultimately will have to be paid for by US as state tax players. So, frankly, this is bad policy, It's bad for older Australians and it is made necessary because labor can't control bending.
Speaker 2: Let's go to housing. We know a big part of that obviously is migration. Your housing spokesman Andrew Bragg was out there today outlining a range for a migration target. He said around the range of one hundred and eighty thousand a year. He did say it wasn't finalized policy. He did say some don't agree with it. You're the boss what's the official answer from the coalition.
Speaker 4: Well, the official answer is we've got housing in freefall in this country right now. We've seen a collapse in the housing marketing confidence because of Labour's toxic taxes they've introduced in the budget, and we will cap migration based on housing supply. Now, I am deeply fearful that we're going to see a freefall in the number of houses being built in this country, a collapse in the number of houses built in this country. It's already low. It's down at around one hundred and seventy thousand a year, well below where it was when we were in government, Peter, but I think there's a real prospect that it's going to go far lower than that. Migration must be capped based on the number of houses we've got in this country. That's the mistake, I guess.
Speaker 3: But you've got to have a number.
Speaker 4: Far more people in well, and the number on the number of houses we get built. We know that, and I can tell you this, Peter, and I've said this to you before. It will be well below one hundred and eighty thousand. It will be a number that will be real. I'll tell you Labour's targets. They've never met them. They've always come over. No I know that or other adversary one nation. They don't know the difference between tatl migration and permanent migration, so no one knows what their number is. The number will be right, will be capped based on the number of houses available. It will be well below two hundred thousand. I fear it will. We have to be substantially below that because of the collapse we're seeing in housing supply and housing construction in this country right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, at the top of the show, I showed how the trend has been improving for for you ever since the move away from Susan Lee. And I have said here repeatedly Angus, that you are mopping up a mess that began under Angus Taylor a decade ago. Right, so you've made some inroads. But one of the things that killed Susan Lee, Peter Dunton, to be fair Scott Morrison as well was policy inertia. We need to have more detail out there to debate and to work through so we can see the color of your money. In Australians know with confidence that if they vote for you, they are going to get change. When is it going to happen?
Speaker 4: Well, Peter, you can all read our plan, which has still got more to do, but it's already out there. There's a lot in this that IH laid out through the course of the budget and reply and then we published this just about four weeks ago. And our plan is to ax Labour's toxic taxes and to bring down income taxes, to get rid of the red tape that's making it too hard to build houses, to run businesses in this country, grap net zero, and make sure we use our natural resources in this country. To get energy costs down, get rid of those energy taxes that have been built into the economy everywhere you go in vehicles, in industry and the electricity grid. Cap migration based on our housing supply, but get our housing supply up, and we've laid our policies here to do that. Putting Australians first, to Peter, and that means that welfare program seventeen different welfare programs should be restricted to Australian citizens. The NDIS should be restricted to Australian citizens. And we have to make sure that our warfighters, our defense force is properly funded in this country. Now that and many other policies are already laid out. We know there's more to do as well, Peter, but that is, as you know, at this stage of the election cycle, a serious plan with a serious team to deliver that plan. And I encourage your viewers to have a root of this plan. You can find it online.
Speaker 2: I guess, I promise you they are all over it. You are a good man, but I think a few of his shadows to toe up the backside to get them moving. I'll leave it there, thank you. All right, Well, I have a look at the de radicalization programs. They were raised in the Royal Commission. A lot of people concerned that there are no audits going on.
Speaker 3: You don't know much.
Speaker 2: About the efficacy of these programs. The panel up next, welcome back more flags tomorrow night. I hope you notice there behind Angus Taylor there were two flags, but two Australian national flags, I might add, I said two. The problems go back ten years beyond actually back to the time of Malcolm Turnbull. I think I might have seen Augus Taylor. I meant Malcolm Turnbull. That's where the rot started for the coalition. Now to other issues, though the increasing concerns being aired in the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism and the massacre at Bondai regarding Australian d radialization programs, claims that the schemes are flawed and have created a false sense of security. I've been saying that for a long time. Finally now that's in evidence at the Royal Commission.
Speaker 3: Joined me now my panel.
Speaker 2: Senior fellow at the Mensis Research Center, Nikator, and Liberal MP the Barnstorming Phil Thompson. Well reports out of the Royal Commission, as I say, reports that one of the programs in particular discussed in evidence has not even been reviewed in six years now, Nick, we are spending some one hundred and forty billion dollars on these programs. We've got some three hundred would be terrorists in them. How on earth are we not auditing them?
Speaker 12: Well, unfortunately, Peter. I think the history of terrorism is that measures to combat terrorism are often reactive. You know the measures that we brought in after nine to eleven, even before that, after the Locker a disaster which highlighted those problems with aircraft security, and we've done it again, right, But I think this BONDI experience and what's being exposed at the Royal Commission being exposed elsewhere show. So we've got to wake up very very quickly to this problem of radicalization.
Speaker 1: We're not dealing with it.
Speaker 12: We've become complacent, and yet the threat grows day by day as the number of people on that radical list grows.
Speaker 1: We've got to wake up to it.
Speaker 12: I just hope that this government can rise above it's a performance elsewhere, let's say, and actually get serious about this, because there's no more important duty of an in government than to protect its people.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, Phil, you know a CEO has been handed special power, secret powers to investigate universities who have research ties with hostile nations. Now, i'd want to hope they're getting resources as.
Speaker 3: Well as just laws.
Speaker 2: And I also want to see, as I just discussed, there some audits of these drad programs. I am not convinced they will keep us safe.
Speaker 17: Well, even with the deradicalization programs, we know that not all of them are mandatory, which I think can be a massive is a massive problem. I want to know exactly how many people have gone through and what's actually happened where these people are located, these deradicalization training or what they go through. Do they work, We're not looking at it. Six years is far too long. On the university side, we've got in what world does a university think it's appropriate to do business or operate with foreign agencies or foreign governments and do research or have drone kind of researchers doing stuff for foreign governments or to foreign bodies.
Speaker 4: Like that's crazy, Like I can't.
Speaker 17: Believe that was even occurring, let alone the need for ASIO to be able to make sure not just have the powers to monitor or look at, but actually stop. I also want to make sure that what AZIO is doing, they have to come back and report to say the Intelligence Committee on exactly what's going on the day for no more scrutinies over We need to be making sure that there is oversight for everyone.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Tommago announcement due tomorrow, the PEAM and the New South Wales Premier. We'll spend one billion dollars of taxpayer money. They'll hand it across to Rio Tinto to keep the smelter operating. Now, the only reason Nick they're doing this is because we've gone down the path of renewable so hard and so fast that we're sending industry in this country up against the wall often overseas. We can't afford to lose this smelter. They can't make ends meet because of the cost of our energy now, so we're bailing them out.
Speaker 12: This is carbon tax by stealth, isn't it, Peter. This is a cost of billion dollars reportedly that every taxpayer in this country is going to have to contribute towards, or it goes on the debt for future tax payers to share the burden just because of this crazy, nonsensical, ludicrous, engineeringly ignorant energy plan that this government has introduced.
Speaker 1: We're all paying the cost for that.
Speaker 12: And no doubt there'll be some triumphant press conference tomorrow, how wonderful they've done to bail out tom Ago. You shouldn't have to bail out Tomogo if the fundamentals are right.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to those reports. I spoke about them on Monday and Tuesday. They're in the Australian. If I can feel reference that half a million dollars spent on three primarily three Muslim related entities, media entities paid for, as I say, by Canberra, and these outlets have been accused of promoting extremist voices, anti Semitic, conspiracy theories, pro terrorist content. Some of them have luded Hesbala killers and other things. Now, now, why on earth is this happening.
Speaker 17: It should happening the govern The government has failed. There should be no money going to any group, especially media outlets that promote terrorist activity. They should be stripped of funding, stripped of the ability to even operate within Australia. But this is a classic labor government. What they do. They take their eye off the ball. It's really shameful that this is occurring in our nation. And these groups should be fined, not given money.
Speaker 2: And we're cutting the supports for pensioners to keep there or not just pensioners, anyone out the age of sixty five, to keep the private health insurance if you can believe it. Nikata phel Thompson, thank you to you both. All right, quick break after the break the wonderful Kel. He's wonderful as any and he joins me. On Wednesday, we're Smith and broadcast Kel Richards question without notice on this one. Before we get into some of the words from viewers, Kel Census we've had a census this week. Is the plural censuses? Since I I'm intrigued.
Speaker 18: Okay, No, we pluralize it the way we normally pluralize English words. It's censuses. I know that's awkward because it's all those sibil and sounds together, but Latin plurals are wrong in English. Don't use Latin plurals in English. We're speaking English. And even if it's a bit awkward, it's censuses.
Speaker 3: Censuses. There we go up. Learn something.
Speaker 2: Hey, Brendan wants to know the origins for the phrase skid row.
Speaker 18: Well, this is interesting. Brendan suggests it might be connected with skid road road, which happened in timber growing areas, and it did. Every timber growing area had a skid road, a mud road that logs that have been filled were dragged down, and often the poor workers lived in huts beside the skid road, and that may have played a part in it. But the linguists tell me the most likely source of this is that people who lived on skid row, the poorest part of any town, they were on the skids, that is, their life was going down, It was not on the up. A that's probably the main source of the expression.
Speaker 2: All right, I do like this next one coming up. Warren, like Petticrelyn, wants to understand where we got higgeley pickley from.
Speaker 18: Actually a long time ago, it's about five hundred years old. And the Oxford says, it's what's called a rhyming reduplication. We've got lots of these sort of rhyming re duplications, hanky panky, and lots and lots of them, and the English language likes them. And then the Oxford says, of obscure origin. But they make the suggestion that it might have been what they call a vocal gesture, and by that they mean a word in which the sounds are trying to suggest what they're naming. And Higgeldy pickoldy gets fairly good at doing that, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: It does?
Speaker 2: What about beyond the pale? Blinda says, where's that one come from?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 18: Originally the word pale met a wooden steak driven in the ground, and a row of those wooden steaks in the ground made a wooden fence. We get our word pole from the same source, the same ancient Latin word, so pale poll that sort of thing and the idea of that sort of wooden fences. Will we get our paling fences from now? In the medieval era, around the medieval towns, there was a demarcation which was called the pale, beyond which the law of the town did not run. So it was the limits of civilization. So if you are beyond the pale, if your behavior is unacceptable, you have passed the limits of civilization.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the Prime Minister might have got their closer on his melon stuff appropriate on.
Speaker 1: The other side.
Speaker 18: He's on the other side.
Speaker 3: We'll be talking about that next week. We'll come back to that.
Speaker 2: I've want sexism and misogyny, what's the difference.
Speaker 3: We'll do that next week. I'll leave it there, Thank you, kel. That's it for me. See you tomorrow night. He's Andrew