Speaker 1: First of all, we were just seeing the car park by itself. We must have heard something because David's turned off the car and we listen. Then we heard screaming. My name is Wayne Nielsen, or was a policeman for close on twenty years.
Speaker 2: Wayne is taking us back in time to a Saturday night in May nineteen eighty three. It's just past midnight and he's patrolling the streets of Liverpool in Sydney Southwest with Constable Dave Stephenson.
Speaker 1: Turn the truck around to face the vehicle. I met the young woman running from the vehicle, extremely distressed, clutching her dress and saying that the guy's got a gun.
Speaker 3: He's threatened to killer.
Speaker 1: Immediately, we drew our revolvers and told him to get out of the vehicle with his hands so we could see them so that he was an armed He got out of the vehicle and as he did so with his hands up, his pants came down and then got him to go against the vehicle. At that stage he still got his hands up. After he's got his pants up and with searched him looking for this gun. Dave went back to speak to her while I was guarding the fender Dave's then come back and said to the fender that the victim has complained that you sexually assaulted her.
Speaker 2: And what did the alleged offenders say.
Speaker 1: Well, he said something in relation to she deserved it or something like that she was only a mole That's how he was behaving towards her at the time. At some stage with searched the vehicle. Well, Dave searched the vehicle was still with the truck and the victim Dave didn't come up with anything under the seat. She lledged that the weapon was under a sept that he reached for it a couple of times during the assault.
Speaker 2: Was a weapon foul? So did you take this man back to the police station and did he identify himself to you?
Speaker 1: Yes, we found out his identity.
Speaker 2: What did he say?
Speaker 1: His name was Kevin Cornwall.
Speaker 2: I'm Ashley Hanson and you're listening to episode ten of Dear Rochelle, a podcast by True Crime Australia. This is the untold story of Rochelle Charles, a twenty three year old who was brutally murdered. Her killer has never been caught. In your experience, how common is it to make an arrest during an alleged attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not very often. You get people in the act of it, you know, breaking an as you do and things like that, but certainly not sexual assaults. I can't think of any other ones which happened at the time we actually wrestled them. Basically in the act.
Speaker 2: Wayne is recalling his arrest of Kevin Stephen Cornwall more than four decades ago. Kevin, who later changed his surname to Correll, became the key suspect in Rochelle's murder. You've already heard about two other sexually motivated attacks in which Kevin was charged but later acquitted. Wayne is talking about a third case, in which Kevin was also acquitted. The alleged victim is a young woman whose identity is protected. She'd met Kevin at a popular Liverpool nightclub called Scaramouge. We think it's important to tell you about this case and allowed you to decide if you think it's relevant to Rochelle's case. At the heart of it is he's a young woman who found herself alone in a car with Kevin. That's not in dispute. What was contested is what happened inside Kevin's car. This is part of what the alleged victim told a Sydney court when Kevin went a trial. This is not her voice, but these are her words.
Speaker 4: Well, first he leant over and started trying to kiss me and that, and that's when I said to him, I've got a husband. And he said, you're nothing better. He called me a lesbian, a tramp, and all those sorts of things. And he said, one minute you've told me you're engaged, next thing, you told me you're married.
Speaker 2: I said you better leave me.
Speaker 4: Alone, and he moved back and then started undoing his pants and then he grabbed me by the hair and I just started crying. And the more I cried, the angrier he got. And he started slapping me in the face and said stop crying. And then I got back up and I was just sitting there, and then he leant over again and grabbed me by the neck and he says, I've got a gun underneath the front seat if you don't come across. And all I kept on thinking was this couldn't be happening.
Speaker 5: I just kept.
Speaker 4: Crying, and he got worse and worse, and he started bending my neck right back and I was just sitting there and then his eyes sort of lit up. I tried to get out of the door, but it was locked, so I unlocked it and I got out of the car. I went to get out of the car. I was screaming in everything, and he tried to start the car to get away, and then I went running over to the police truck screaming and like he pulled all the straps down on my dress down, and then I told the police he had a gun, and so they went straight over to him. And then one of the policemen came back over to me and I sat down in the police van and he said to me, what happened, and I said, he tried to kill me.
Speaker 2: Walk began as a standard night for Constable Wayne Nielsen more than forty years ago patrolling Sydney's Southwest, has stayed with him to this day.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, wholly upset. I mean, she just went through a very traumatic time where she obviously felt her life was threatened. She was violently sexually assaulted.
Speaker 2: Wayne was struck by how Kevin, who was twenty seven at the time, was acting towards the young woman.
Speaker 1: Well, he was pretty offensive towards the female in his language and his demeanor, and how he related to her. It seems like that was a very common attitude of his, you know.
Speaker 2: And would it be fair to call him an extreme misogynist the way that he was describing her behavior.
Speaker 1: I mean a total disregard for respect of a female.
Speaker 2: Kevin claims the alleged victim agreed to go for a drive after she was denied entry to the nightclub, but she claims he'd offered to give her a lift home. Kevin says inside the cup the pair got into an argument and she became upset. Kevin took the stand to defend him. Here's part of what he told the court, voiced by an actor.
Speaker 6: I stopped the car at Woodward Park and told her to settle down. She was crying by then, upset, and we took from maybe five minutes, and she seemed to appear to me to settle down a little bit. Then I put my arm around her, and I first kissed her on the cheek, and then I started kissing her on the lips. She responded to that, she seemed to settle down a little bit again, and I again put my arm around her and kissed her. The response was more this time that she was kissing me back. We kissed for a while and I undone my top button and my fly. She said, you fucking guys are all the same, and we started an argument. She said I'm married, I've got a husband at home something to that, and I replied to that, you told me earlier on in the evening that you'd just broken off your engagement. She called me names, and then I called her a slut. I think I called her a mole and teaser or something. I think she said again to take her home. I told her I'll drop her back up at Scaramouge. She said I want to go home, and I said.
Speaker 7: She said, you told me you'd said a while ago that you'd take me home. I said that was before you started carrying on like an idiot, and I said, I'm going to drop you back up to Scaramouge. We were arguing, as I said, and a light came up the driveway. As it got closer, I was sewing the police light on top of the truck and I said something like it's the bloody copper is not to worry, they'll go straight past.
Speaker 8: And the police stopped and she started screaming.
Speaker 2: Kevin denies having a gun in his car and no weapons were found. A jury later found not guilty of the attack. Let's return to Wayne Nielsen. I asked him, generally speaking, how vulnerable is a woman in a car with a dangerous man?
Speaker 1: Extremely vulnerable? I think a lot of times females may not realize how dangerous a male can be, how strong and driven.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in retired detective Damien Loon to get his thoughts on this third sexual assault case.
Speaker 9: Well, when do you look at the circumstances of how he's arrested a gunpoint? It's a smoking gun brief, as I say, you know, here he gets out of a car. He's been accused of a sexual and motivated attack against a young intoxicated woman, and he gets out of the current and the cops pull him out a current gunpoint in his pants fall down around his ankles. You know, you couldn't get a better evidence. Police had enough evidence to charge him. They would have obtained a statement from the victim, and it would have gone up to the district court for trial. And yet yet again, as I say, this is the course of just just that he went under. He was acquitted of most.
Speaker 2: Matters, and now it's probably the time to tell you about the first rape allegation leveled against Kevin. The year was nineteen eighty and Kevin was twenty four DJing in Sydney's Southwest. On this occasion, a seventeen year old told police Kevin had offered to drive her home from a Liverpool nightclub. She alleges he pulled a knife on her, ordering her into the back seat, where he allegedly raped her before dropping her home. Kevin was charged with rape and two counts of indecent assault. He was committed to stand trial and later acquitted of all charges for anyone keeping count. That's four acquittals for sexually motivated attacks on young women in the space of three years. How could one man be so unlucky to be wrongly accused by four different women? Not guilty and Kevin Carle were quite a recurring scene in the nineteen eighties. In this investigation, we've been trying to fill in the missing nine hours from when Rochelle was last seen leaving Camden Holden to when her burning body was found just after two am on Friday, June eighth, two thousand and one. One of the last people to see Rochelle alive was her final customer, Kathy Thelander.
Speaker 5: I had gone in to see Rochelle about purchasing a vehicle off the lot, and she was her usual beautiful self, and we spoke about it. I think I was trading in a vehicle as well, which she loved, so we spoke about that. My daughters were with me and my sister was with me. I think also, you know, we would have got there about three pooty five, and Rochelle had to leave in the afternoon. She apologized, She said she had to be somewhere and she had to leave a little bit earlier than what she thought she would.
Speaker 2: Did she give you any reason as to why she had to leave early that day?
Speaker 5: No, she didn't. I've thought about this. No, she didn't give me any reason. She was very happy though, but every time I saw Rachelle she was happy.
Speaker 2: Did she take a car for a test drive with you? What car were you looking at? And who else was there with you that day?
Speaker 5: Because I had a familiarity with Campden Hold and my husband at the time had worked there for many years, and although he had left, we still remained in close contact with some of the people that worked there, so I was well known to the dealership. So usually if I liked a car, I was just allowed to take it out myself drive it around. No, she didn't come with me. There was Kevin Carell. He was there. He wasn't too far away at any point of in the background, a few met us away. He was listening to Rochelle, listening to what was happening. He did seem particularly interested in hearing everything that Rachelle and I were talking about, and he wasn't too far away. And when we went into the office to discuss the finance, he was definitely there, not too far away, so he was sort of not too far away, maybe a meter, sort of behind her desk and around. Truly just think he was evesdropping.
Speaker 2: Do you have any recollections about doing any paperwork with Rochelle in terms of buying the car I did.
Speaker 5: I builed out paperwork might have been done the day before or the day before that. They said the paperwork had gone missing, And I remember sitting there with Rochelle and she couldn't find our paperwork, She couldn't find our own application. She was asking Kevin if he'd seen them, because they were definitely on her desk. They would have been in a file, I'm sure, And he said no, he hadn't seen them. No, they're just there. And she said, well, they're not just there, they're gone and they were here and he said, no, no, and they're just there. And she looked at us and rolled her eyes as if he was no help at all. That was when he was sort of lingering. He wasn't too far away.
Speaker 2: What was your impression of Rochelle's reaction to that?
Speaker 5: She was frustrated, and I think that it made her look unprofessional, which she didn't like because she was very professional.
Speaker 2: Did you ever wonder what had happened to that paperwork that you'd filled out?
Speaker 5: So when I rang back early the next week for the application to be processed and lodged, and that's when they told me that I asked to speak to Rachelle, and that's when they told me that Rachelle had passed away. I think I was so shocked to hear that. I did wonder why I had to basically apply for this loan twice. A few weeks after Rochelle had passed, I did a credit reference check on myself because it was just it was nagging at me in my mind, and that loan for that statesman had been applied for a couple of times at least and then not gone ahead. And I thought that was very strange. So the paperwork hadn't been lost, It had actually been been lodged.
Speaker 2: Do you think that Rochelle had anything to do with that paperwork being lost?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Why are you so confident of that?
Speaker 5: I really don't think.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 5: She seemed exasperated that she couldn't find it. Kevin was lase a that it couldn't be found, and no, look, that's just a gut feeling. I doubt it very much. And when we were out on a lot, I could see he was watching her again, and I thought to myself at the time, I think he had a little crash on her. And the way he did used to watch Rochelle, I can picture him now, just sort of like leering at her at the corner of his eye. I didn't like it, and she seemed quite oblivious.
Speaker 2: Both Rochelle and her boss Kevin were last sighted at Camden Holden on the night in question. It's June seven, a winter's night in the historic Australian country town of Camden. This time of year, the sun begins to set just before five pm, so it's getting dark and chilly.
Speaker 8: We know.
Speaker 2: Rochelle leaves work just after five and heads towards her home in Bargo, that's a thirty minute drive south. On the way, she calls Christie, who was staying at their parents' place in Glenfield, a suburb in Campbelltown. So Rochelle is home alone.
Speaker 11: I remember she called me on her way home from work. I was on you know when you used to have like the second line on the landline. I was on the phone to my best mate from school and I heard the call come through, and I said, I'll just answer this quickly. So I jumped over to the other line and it was Rochelle and she was driving.
Speaker 8: Because she always spoke so far.
Speaker 11: She just said hey, Chris, Michelle, and I said, hey, I'm on the other line. Erin and she went, oh, right here, call me back. I said, okay, bye, and that was it.
Speaker 5: I hung up.
Speaker 11: That was the last time I spoke to her.
Speaker 2: That's Rochelle's last known phone contact with anyone on the evening. She was murdered a minute later. Her blue hold and Commodore was spotted by a council ranger driving through Camden at five sixteen pm. A friend who knows Rochelle from work later tells police she flicked her headlights at him as they drove past each other through Camden. All clues to this point tell us she's heading home, and it's believed she had somewhere to go. We're pretty sure she made it home to Bargo. If she went straight home, she would have got there just before six pm. Her friend Fiona remembers going to Bargo the following day.
Speaker 12: When I arrived at her house, the lights were all on and the telly was still on, and the windows.
Speaker 8: Were like the blinds were open.
Speaker 12: I could see it looked like she'd literally just left, gotten changed and left.
Speaker 2: We don't know where she went, with who, or if she went willingly. This is where we lose any trace of Rochelle. Now we're going to explore Kevin's alibi in close detail. Kevin voluntarily participated in three interviews with police in relation to Rochelle's murder, and we've gathered the following timeline from his evidence as well as police evidence, including mobile phone data. I want to foreshadow two points. Kevin wasn't immediately forthcoming with police about his address at the time and a curious phone call. Okay, let's get into it. Kevin tells detectives he leaves Camden Holden after a shell between five thirty and five forty. It's his son's birthday that day, the Thursday leading into the June Long weekend. He tells police he drives about twenty minutes east to Campbelltown Mall looking for a wallet as a present. Kevin says he arrives at Campbelltown Parks and walks around for about ten minutes, but doesn't buy anything. Next, he drives to a leather good shop and a shopping center a few minutes away at Macasa Square. He drives there, but there's a queue to get into the car park. Kevin says that's when he changes his mind, realizing he won't be seeing his son that evening, and decides to buy him an HSV jacket from Camden Holden instead. Now this is a critical moment in Kevin's alibi. According to the timings in his statement, he was in the Campbelltown area's shopping until at least ten past six at the earliest, possibly later if he left work closer to five point forty, but mobile phone data places him in another location about twenty five kilometers away from Campbelltown at exactly six oh eight pm. That call peinged off a cell tower on the southern side of Picton, which is much closer to Bargo than Campbelltown. Council assisting the coroner, Peter Singleton, explored the six to eight phone call in thorough detail of Rochelle's inquest.
Speaker 13: We had his phone being used south of Picton at a time when he said that he was on the other side of the Razorback Mountain range in Campbelltown or MacArthur Square. Whilst not conclusive, tended to suggest that his alibi was not truthful. And my recollection is there was no supporting evidence for his shopping trip and that the independent evidence tended to suggest he was gained towards Bargo when he denied it. So it was obviously a matter of great interest and importance to explore it as much as we could. The phone pings in a particular location, cell tower's point in certain directions, it's a vague indication, but the cell tower can give you an indication if the direction the person is relative to the cell tower. The topography is also important. You can be pinging on a cell tower far away. If it's all flat in between you and the cell tower. If it's all mountainous in between you and the cell tower, then it's not likely to ping. It's not conclusive, but as a matter of probability, you generally ping on a cell tower it is close to you and not obscured.
Speaker 2: By a mountain. He's retired to teaket if Damien Loon unpacking what we know so far.
Speaker 9: Some of the most baffling questions in Rochelle's case are where did she meet a killer? When? And where was the fatal encounter? Did it happen in Bargo or down around Giroua.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to our analysis of Kevin's alibi.
Speaker 9: That six o eight pm phone call is important, and when you look at Kevin's shopping trip, there's no proof of it. He's gone to a couple of shops but never bought anything.
Speaker 2: For a closer look at the topography of the area we're referring to, there's an animated map with key locations on our website. Go to Dear Rochelle dot com dot au. That phone call Kevin made at six oh eight pm is a great significance. The number he dialed is almost identical to Rochelle's mobile number, but with two of the digits switched around, as if he going to type the number and mix them up. Here's Damien again.
Speaker 9: There's two digits that have been swapped around at the end of the phone number. So that number Kevin called went to someone in Queensland and it was a wrong number. Now I firmly believe that Kevin was trying to ring Michelle, but why when Kevin was first questioned by homicide detectives he didn't mention this phone call. He had to be reminded of it in his police interview.
Speaker 7: I obviously didn't get through and never bothered it again. So obviously the reason I rang was just was something to do with work relation. There was no answer, he was engaged or something. I don't know if I spoke to anyone. I don't recall anyone saying you've got the wrong number. I obviously didn't try again, and if it's if you've got the phone records there, so I obviously would have been discussing it with her the next day. But you know, whether it is a sale or whether it wasn't a sale, or whether the people were coming back. I can't recall, so it wasn't relevant.
Speaker 8: I don't think.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 2: To recap Kevin's last verified sighting is around five point thirty PM, when he leaves work. His phone then pings south have Picton, yet he says he was in the Campbelltown area. After leaving Campbelltown, Kevin says he drives to Picton to visit his partner, Alice. That's about a half hour drive southwest. He says he arrives at Picton wanting to stay the night, but Alice isn't home. Kevin makes a further two phone calls from his mobile that evening. Both are to Alice and exactly an hour apart. It's unclear precisely where Kevin was at the time of these last two calls, but his evidence tends to suggest he was in the area he told police he was in for those calls. Phone records show at six point thirty eight PM, Kevin rings Alice, but she doesn't answer. That call pings off a Picton cell tower, putting him in that area. He says Alice wasn't home. He drives ten minutes further south to Tarmore to get takeaway from a shop called either tarm Or Gourmet Foods or Tarmol Takeaway, where he orders fish.
Speaker 8: Cake, bat it sav a bag of chips and a cake.
Speaker 2: And a quick note. Tamil is in the opposite direction to Kevin's home. There's also takeaway options in Picton. Now. Remember in nineteen eighty three when Kevin was questioned and later acquitted over the attempted sexual assault of a young mum at Darlinghurst. This was his alibi. This is not his voice.
Speaker 7: Well, stop to take away food bar in Terminus Street, Liverpool, where I purchased about it save a piece of fish, a bag of chips and a loaf of bread.
Speaker 2: Detectives questioned Kevin about the similarities between his alibis eighteen years apart.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I love fish and chips.
Speaker 7: Once I'll change that and get a fish cake and a battered savon chips.
Speaker 8: I've done it twice this week.
Speaker 2: When Detective Inspector Mick Ashwood was in charge of reviewing Rochelle's case in two thousand and three, he re examined Kevin's alibi alongside his mobile phone data.
Speaker 3: Just swapping the cantercoat full the loaf of bread.
Speaker 14: But to pull those exact words out on a recording interview, what's in a statement from the I think it was the eighties, he's quite well. It stands out to you that it could be a manufactured account of where they were, because we do know that independent evidence he was down towards Pargo. We don't know exactly where he was, but this is important. It's independent evidence that puts him down there.
Speaker 2: And he's paid a singleton. Again.
Speaker 13: It is not unknown for criminals to fall back upon a comfortable alibi that's worked for them before. In this case, one possibility is that mister Carrell fell back upon an alibi that had worked for him before and decided to use it again. Not because it was true, but because he was comfortable with it. He would be able to sustain it, not change his story, not forget not the possibilities. It was true and it's just a coincidence that he had the same alibi twenty years apart. My view was that it was a proper thing to explore to see what came of it. Any One thing in isolation doesn't in a circumstantial case such as this would have been, doesn't amount to much. It is the accumulated weight. Of all the circumstances, one coincidence of similar alibis doesn't prove all, but you had it at all the rest.
Speaker 2: According to Kevin, after he gets fish and chips from Tarmil, he heads back to Picton to see if Alice is home yet, but she's not. His phone records show a call to Alice from his mobile at seven thirty eight pm, which pings off a Norellan cell tower, which police belief suggests he was somewhere near Camden at that point in time. Now, this is a vital detail to highlight. At the time of that phone call, Kevin says he was at his unit in Camden. It was news to police that he was even living at Camden. In Kevin's first police interview, he didn't disclose his Camden address. He told investigators at the time of Rochelle's murder he was residing with Alice at Picton. For context, that unit of Kevin's directly overlooks Camden Holden. Let's get Damien's thoughts on this.
Speaker 9: I don't know why he would have withheld that information from police. It was important, I don't know, And that's one of the mysteries of the brain.
Speaker 2: Do you think he could have withheld that information because he was trying to hide that he could have been watching Rochelle.
Speaker 9: Look, it also could have been a crime, saying, that's what disturbs me. And obviously the police didn't know about the location of that unit near Camden Holden and for me that would be very worrying now knowing that happened, and I know that the investigators at the time would have been looking for something like that. But for him to withhold that information and sometimes you can do that, it's easy to do and I could have been possibly have been a crime, say his.
Speaker 2: Former partner told the inquest he had not a lot of furniture in that unit, but there were binoculars. Does that concern you at all?
Speaker 9: A sparsely furnished flat overlooking the car with a pair of binoculars here, that does concern me.
Speaker 2: One more thing about that Camden unit that Kevin rented in two thousand and one, we managed to track down the owner, David. Our picture editor Jeff dar mannin caught up with David at the property, where he says he made a bizarre discovery hidden inside the unit. After Kevin moved out.
Speaker 15: Do you have any memories when Kevin rented the unit?
Speaker 16: He rented the unit, he worked next door and it was very convenient being in that location. That and I did meet him a few times which it would run into him, and that we always struck me as being quite a red rolled sort of a person.
Speaker 17: In two thousand and one, could you see Camden Holden from where the unit was?
Speaker 3: Yes, you could from that unit.
Speaker 16: You can see it from both the bedroom window and the landroom window. But they have since built a silo there on the adjoining block.
Speaker 17: Can you describe the view from the unit into cant and Holding itself?
Speaker 3: You saw into the parking lot and some of the building.
Speaker 16: Actually saw a fair bit of the place, really of the exposed place.
Speaker 15: And could you see the red train carriage?
Speaker 3: You see the red train carriage from me?
Speaker 15: Yet? And when did you discover police and search Captain's unit?
Speaker 16: Well, it wasn't a discovery more so than they arrived forensic squad and went through the place and top to bottom marked the walls with paint and not paint but stuff to see fingerprints and all the stuff they used in for its forensic investigations.
Speaker 15: How long after Rachelle's murder. Did Kevin move out?
Speaker 16: Look, I can't honestly remember. To be Quotles, I can't remember, but I know he did leave.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 16: The state the flat was left in was Yes, we had to do the paint the walls because of the stuff and the marks on for a the forensic people had been through. There was marks on the carpet and everything else. So he then decided to do up the place and strip it and paint it and get it ready for the next tenant.
Speaker 15: And while you were doing that, did you discover anything?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 16: Well, this, it's just it. We went pulling up the carpet, the carpet went into the wardrobe and tucked in where it lifted in the wardrobe, found a lot of newspaper clippings, all directly associated with the murder. I took them home and said to my wife, I found these, and she said take it to the police, which I did the very next day and gave it to the detective and all of it was and I said, this is.
Speaker 3: What I've found. He's moved out, and this is what I found.
Speaker 17: And where they were. What was the detective's reaction when you showed him that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they took it on board and that was about it. And basically that's the last I heard of it for a while.
Speaker 17: And when you look through those clippings, was there any handwriting on anything any just straight straight clippings.
Speaker 16: Look from memory, it was the page of fold pages of the stuff. Whatever was on the page was on that newspaper page.
Speaker 17: And when Kevin had left the apartment and he had cleaned up, how did everything finalize?
Speaker 16: Well, Kevin left there in a bit of a hurry, obviously rent and left it. And like I said, the place probably not accordingly, but the police had left it, you know, as they would find a forensic place afterwards. It was in need of a bit of TLC.
Speaker 17: And did you have to chase Kevin for any money or anything else there?
Speaker 3: Since you said?
Speaker 16: I did, And ironically I had a couple of because he disappeared. I had a couple of mates that are in the car industry and I just rang them and said, look, if you ever know where this bloke is, can you just let me know. I want to collect some rent and I can't find him anywhere. Well, I think now from memory it was in within days.
Speaker 3: One of the blakes.
Speaker 16: He said no problems dated he's working at time down at Narah, So I fronted down there and to his credit or anything at the time, I got paid straight away. The check was there. Assuming they'd be going on with a check that abounds. It didn't and and that was my last doelings. But ironically I was in marellin shopping center and I ran into the detective that I got to know from the case, and I said, were are you up to with that? And he said, oh, we can't find him. I said, he got to be choking. I said he had me money. I soon found him and I told him where there was Now. After that point, that's the last I heard of anything. I didn't see the detective again, didn't hear what was going on.
Speaker 3: And it was just he was a suspect. That was all it was to it.
Speaker 2: Getting back into Kevin's alibi. On the night in question, at seven forty three pm, Alice calls Kevin. They speak for exactly fifteen minutes and twenty seven seconds. Kevin says he asked Alice if he come over to her place, but she says she's tired and going to bed. Kevin claims he then heads out. He jumps in his car and drives past Camden Holden because it's right behind his unit. He claims he sees the cleaner and stops to speak with him, asking.
Speaker 8: Him, is everything okay? You're the cleaner. The cleaner says, yeah, everything he's okay.
Speaker 2: But when the cleaner, Raymond Kusheba, is interviewed by police, he.
Speaker 5: Says, whilst I was carrying out my cleaning outside, no person approached me at any stage.
Speaker 2: Kevin's next unverified stop is at the service station at the end of the street, where he says he buys a bottle of milk and he engages in some small talk with the service station's staff member, who he knows is David. During his statement to police, the staff member said while Kevin Correll was a familiar customer, he could not recall whether or not Kevin had come into the service station that night. From there, Kevin says he drives another one hundred meters or so and pops into the Marino Hotel, where he puts five dollars in the pokies and drinks a Scotch and coke. This stop isn't verified by any witnesses or evidence, but it's possible police didn't canvas the hotel early enough to prove it or disprove his visit. Kevin says he then goes straight home. It arrives at his Camden unit between nine and ten past nine pm, where he has a cup of coffee, owns a shirt for work, and watches Big Brother on the TV, then falls asleep on the couch. He wakes up to the cricket playing on TV, turns the TV off, and falls back asleep until he wakes up. Friday morning at seven am. Kevin goes to work, even though he's not rostered on to work the Friday ahead of the June Long weekend.
Speaker 12: Looking back, when he came to work on that Friday morning, he was late and he looked like shit.
Speaker 2: He looked really crappy, really like he hadn't slapped.
Speaker 12: And he left early on that Friday afternoon and saying he had a doctor's appointment too.
Speaker 2: Another colleague, Kerrie Thorpe, also noticed Kevin's appearance on Friday. This is her evidence, but not her voice.
Speaker 18: I recall upon seeing him that day that he looked like death. By that, I mean that he looked unwell, He looked tired and like he hadn't been to bed I remember that although he looked that way, his clothing appeared normal and not disheveled, and he was wearing a long black coat.
Speaker 2: Kevin denies any involvement in Rochelle's death, and the coroner delivered an open finding after conducting a coronial inquest. Rochelle's initial investigation was dogged by police bungles, including lost CCTV and misstop tunities. Potential witnesses when interviewed early enough, and will never know exactly what forensic evidence was overlooked, but a major misstep centers around DNA. In two thousand and three, police held a mass DNA screening in the local area with no strong leads. Police, in an Australian first, are sixty men to volunteer DNA samples.
Speaker 14: The testing is not compulsory, but probably say they can still rely on conventional methods of investigation.
Speaker 2: Investigators had identified an unknown male DNA profile through their sampling of exhibits, including a bedsheet. At the time, detectives thought this was a major breakthrough in the case, but it turned out to be another blow to police and Rochelle's family.
Speaker 8: Here's Mick Ashwood unfortunate.
Speaker 14: What didn't come through before that operation was the results of an internal.
Speaker 3: Searching of DNA.
Speaker 14: Police don't hold their own officers with DNA database, but it was established at an officer at seoel Haven. It was their DNA when they were processing the exhibits that got on to each of the items. Now by this stage you'd.
Speaker 15: Come around, would come around to an inquest.
Speaker 14: So were now a few years into the case. So that leads to some fundamental problems. And I'm talking here from outside the investigation. Besides, no longer part of the investigation at that time, apart from coordinating the DNA database. But when the information came through that the DNA belonged to an officer, first thing you do is eliminate the officer, which was done. Then you look at the procedural mistake in the handling of the exhibits, which is what occurred on this occasion. You had to say that distracted the investigation for a time. That it wasn't the DNA of a person's of interest any of them, meant that we weren't looking at those people anymore. When I say we the Charlovan detective's leading the case.
Speaker 2: I also asked FBI trained criminal profile at Chris Sillingsworth her reaction to the DNA mix up.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it's unfortunate that that happened because it was turned out being being reherring in itself. But you know, he may well have had the gloves on and wiped his brow and then it's contemporated when he's touched the next exhibit. So procedurally it wasn't the right thing, but on a human level, you can understand how it would happen.
Speaker 11: I remember just not being surprised. I think I would imagine that Dad would have told me, because everything went through Dad first, and then Dad told me and Mum. Yeah, I imagine that he would have told me. And I don't remember being surprised a because the DNA profile hadn't matched anybody, and we tested everybody. You know, they stuffed up a lot of things. And I'm not running the police down. They worked really hard, but there were a number of things that were yeah, stuffed up, things lost, So I wasn't surprised. And yeah, as I've said to you before, it's full of hope up and letdowns the whole way through. So just another letdown that.
Speaker 9: Would have been a gut wrenching kicking. The guts are let down because you're on the verge of saying, well, this may break, well, this may break the case. We may find the offender or offenders, and yet then to only to find that because there was poor crime scene examination without being properly kidded up with your personal protective equipment, and you've left your own DNA behind. It's somewhat not any terrible and gut riching from the investigators, but an embarrassment.
Speaker 2: In the course of this investigation, we've discovered Kevin Stephen Carrell has had quite a lot of different jobs over the years, or at least he claims he's had them. Car salesman, DJ detective of laborer, security guard, psychologist, garage door salesman, private investigator and lifeline counselor. Now we can exclusively reveal his latest job. A tip off led us to the New South Wales Central Coast, where Kevin was said to be working as an RSA marshal that's the guy who monitors the welfare of patrons when it comes to alcohol. On June seven, twenty twenty four, the twenty third anniversary of Rochelle's murder. A tight crew headed to the New South Wales Central Coast, myself, Christie's best friend, Mindy Wicks, and Mindy's husband dropped in for a drink at the league's club.
Speaker 19: So sign in, We have to sign in normal?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 6: Thanks?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 18: Please?
Speaker 8: Giving you a hard time?
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 2: We come face to face with Kevin at the club's entrance within seconds of arriving.
Speaker 8: Oh it always does.
Speaker 18: No entire.
Speaker 20: Is there any entertain No, that's die, have love evening, Thank you?
Speaker 15: What are the fucking chances?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 21: I literally was putting in my address wrong because I saw him and I started typing and then I saw him and I was like fuck, and I was pressing spaces where I couldn't and I couldn't fucking remember where I live.
Speaker 19: And then he come over.
Speaker 2: I was My heart was racing, like that's you, that's it. Yeah, what do you make of seeing him to Yeah?
Speaker 8: Do you know?
Speaker 20: And this is probably gonna sound silly, but seeing him in the flash, face to face, having him literally inches from me, it makes it even more fucking important to figure this out.
Speaker 8: It's like a power thing.
Speaker 10: I feel like he he needs, like he needs to control the room. He and to a degree. He kind of does because he's in and around everything, like he's just there, you know, literally walking the place, and very he's standing right next to me.
Speaker 2: It was confronting, Yeah, I was. My heart was racing. Keep in mind, early on, when I was investigating Rochelle's case as a solo freelance journalist, I'd been warned to tread very carefully. And the more I uncovered, the more I understood.
Speaker 7: Why what you were suggesting you were going to do, I wouldn't carry that out.
Speaker 8: I fear for you.
Speaker 3: I thought that you should be aware of what you were doing. Sometimes you get lost in.
Speaker 13: Your work and you don't realize what you've done until it's too late.
Speaker 15: Well, as I said to you before, you're poking a beer.
Speaker 2: Now, more than a year into the investigation, with news Corps backing and so much fresh evidence, it's time for us to approach Kevin Carrell. Since the inquest more than seven ten years ago, Kevin's moved on with his life out of the media spotlight, but Rochelle's family deserves answers and Kevin deserves the chance to speak. We have a lot of questions for him, so we wanted to approach him out in the open, and you're behind him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turning left onto a whale road which is still heading in your direction.
Speaker 10: You're hitting a lot when he gets.
Speaker 15: There, aren't you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm right behind him, roughly eight a.
Speaker 15: Couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's just jumped a red light to turn the left.
Speaker 15: I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 5: No, do you think he'll be turning into the village road?
Speaker 3: Really soon?
Speaker 2: Coming soon?
Speaker 19: On Dear Rochelle, who was in an envelope, who was basically accousing her of Rochelle's murder.
Speaker 18: He has a hatred for all this, other than the fact he wants the truth to come out.
Speaker 13: The person who killed Rochelle Childs would have a similar motive towards you, also hatred if you actually managed to expose him schizophrenic.
Speaker 2: I've never seen a man treated a woman like that.
Speaker 3: I felt fear for my life.
Speaker 13: I'm sure there is something out there or someone who knows something that will bring essentially a monster to be arrested.
Speaker 10: Watch your dad.
Speaker 9: Get out of like that other way.
Speaker 2: Dear Rochelle is a multi media production from True Crime Australia. If you want to be one of the first to find out what happens next, go to Dear Rochelle dot com dot a you. That's where eligible Digital News Corp Australia subscribers get early access to podcast episodes and breaking news in our live in investigation and you will also find exclusive videos, interactive evidence, feature articles and more. That's de Roschhell dot com dot au. If you have any tips or confidential information to share with me, Ashley Hanson, please send an email to de Rochelle at News dot com dot a you. Our supervising producer and audio editor is Rehys Gunter Rachel Fountain. His executive producer and audio director. Our executive editor is Sarah Blake. Our senior journalist is Patrick Carline. Video editors are Jillian McNally, Owen Yang and Stephen Woods. Picture editors are Jeff dr Mannen and Christy Miller Sidney. Camera operators are Daniel Andrews and Oscar Viera. We sound designed by Martin Perolta, thanks also to Greg Thompson and Lenni Panerz, Show Burreo Fayguld, Vanessa Graham, Hailey Goddard, Stephen Grise, Charlotte Carp, Tina Coggins and Harry Hughes, special thanks to the Daily Telegraph editor Ben English and dear Rochelle. Would not be possible without the help, and I'm wavering support of Christy and Anne Childs, Mindy Wick's Damien Loon and Rochelle's friends. This podcast series is hosted and investigated by me Ashley Hanson