Speaker 1: Apod Shape Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 1: Podcast? Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 2: Is the question we are constantly asking ourselves.
Speaker 3: We just like to sit here in a reflective sense, and I guess support each other through that, don't We like, because some weeks are great and then some weeks you're like, could have done that better?
Speaker 2: Because you lose your shit. It's almost like it's instant the guilt. It's like, yes, I have every right to lose my shit because they've done this whatever. Not listening. I asked them to put the washing away the other day. I recognized said it like five times, and in my head, I'm going, I could have just put that away. We have taken me five minutes.
Speaker 3: But we're not teaching them anything. So this is where we come up with that whole damned if you do, damned if you don't, because if we did that for then they're going to become obnoxious, selfish little shits.
Speaker 2: More. Mikeirl say to me, why do you have to drink wine? Like, why do you have to drink so much wine? I'm like, because I'm a parent, it's your ful And then you go, oh, they're gonna be in therapy one day, going mum said it was our fault. Heat was driven to drink therapy.
Speaker 3: Am I a bad mum for keeping secrets from them?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I need to address the elephant in the room.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: With that, I'm going to play.
Speaker 3: Some music right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So last night we found out that your husband Sam It's gone into the African jungle and I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 3: Get me out of here.
Speaker 2: I got a text from Rach yesterday morning saying, good morning. Just wanted to let you know as it's gone into the press. Sam It's currently in Africa and he's in I'm a celebrity, get me.
Speaker 3: Out of here.
Speaker 2: I had to read it a couple of times. I was like, what, Sorry, I haven't been able to say anything. We signed an NDA, so haven't been able. The girls will find out tonight when they watched the show for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I followed it up with a phone call, didn't I because I had to explain myself a little bit more along the lines of going, look, I feel shit for having to hold out on you because we've spoken about like how many times you'd ask me in the last couple of weeks, where Sam. How is he? What is he doing? And I'm like, ah, he's great. Where is he Sydney? What is he doing?
Speaker 2: Work?
Speaker 3: That's all I've given you for weeks. That's not normally me, which is probably where you would have seen through that a little bit. So, yes, he is in Africa, he is on celeb Slave Get me out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is so funny to me because you've never watched I've never watched the show.
Speaker 3: I feel terrible saying that, but I'll own it and say the only reality show that which is shit to say now that I say it that caught me it was Maths because it's like a train wreck. It's like that whole like don't want to look but I'm gonna can't look away kind of situation because it's such a train wreck.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's embarrassing, but you said it out loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so embarrassing. That's the only thing that I've sort of watched. And I know that you love the show, You've watched it many.
Speaker 2: I was excited to watch the show anyway before I knew that Sam was going to be on there, and so I was just like so excited yesterday. Honestly, you should have seen this last night because I had to do FaceTime with my dad at the time that the show was going to start, and so I was like, Okay, Dad, need to just make this really quick because I want to watch I'm here, and so then I've set it up to record and then it's not working. I'm on the phone to Foxtael had to record it in another room.
Speaker 1: Then we had to.
Speaker 2: Watch it for an hour in the other room before we could go back in. It was a bloody plava.
Speaker 3: I've got two kids now sitting down and they're like, oh, why is this on? And I'm like, oh, let's watch a movie. But I'm just tiling up some dishes and stuff like that. And they're like, well, let's watch the start of it, and I went, oh, yeah, if you want, but I don't really want to watch I think it was like Miss Congeniality, I really want to watch that. So we need to start watching it decoy and I was like, yeah, that's what we'll do. And then they started to watch it, and then the intro took so long. Katie I was like, when is he coming on? Because obviously we carried this out all the way through the day. Now we got leaked yesterday that he was going to be in there, and so then I was like right, and then thinking, okay, now I need to think of all the ways that I need to bubble wrap my two girls for the day so that I can continue the surprise, like Sam and I had agreed on. I felt bad because everyone else knew, and then I think I said that to you. I feel bad because my girls don't know, but now everyone else knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Gracie has a watch, doesn't he When she doesn't, her friends can message her. So you needed to avoid the watch being used so none of her friends could go, oh.
Speaker 3: Your dad's going to be on TV tonight. Yeah, So that was like that, And then they pick up my mom's phone all the time.
Speaker 2: Nanadini's per part of the phone. We had the problem with the tooth fairy. Yeah, and the text that you'd sent about the tooth Fairy coming, which then one.
Speaker 3: Of your girls, Elsie, just recently in December.
Speaker 2: Dangerous, nanade, come on, change your password. So you got to the stage where they hadn't got wind of anything, they hadn't been in touch with their friends, no one had been able to ruin the surprise. And then they say on the lounge and you had the TV on and then this was what happened.
Speaker 1: Dad, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So I feel like it went from oh my god, it's Dad, I knew it to all of a sudden, Gracie going everyone's going to see him on TV.
Speaker 3: I think Gracie's side of it is like, oh my god, what is he going to do that is going to embarrass this ship out of me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she's got to that age. And obviously for those who know Sam was a football player for the Brisbane Broncos for years and years, but your girls were so little then. I know they did see him on TV and stuff, but I think it's very different now they're older. They were either going to be super excited and impressed by it or they were going to go the other way and be embarrassed.
Speaker 3: And oh my god. I think we went through everything last night, everything you can think of. Like obviously that was the first moment that was their initial reaction and they were like, oh my gosh. And then I think they went straight into like what you call a challenge, and then Sam was doing the challenge and it was like brought out another whole side of the girls. They were like, oh my god, Elsie becomes competitive with him, even though he's on a TV and she's at home telling him he can do it.
Speaker 1: Oh my daughters. As I always tell him, Gracie, Elsie takes one second to be brave. It takes one second to be brave.
Speaker 2: And so he's walking out on a led really really higher.
Speaker 3: Now that star provided their first dinner of the night, wasn't it. So there was no way he was jumping and missing that start. Sam.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that we keep laughing at because I think he's going to be really great at all the challenges. I don't think he will have problems with any of them, the eating challenges, the spiders, and then I think he'll do good. However, I think he will be very hungry.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I was like, this would be great for you. He loves a snack. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember one of his teammates back in the day, Tavita Panguy Junior. I remember him saying that the only problem he had with Sam as a roommate was that he liked to just sit there and eat peanut brittle.
Speaker 3: Loves to snack. Food might be the thing that provides him a.
Speaker 2: Challenge and the lack of So do you think he made the right decision not telling the girls and letting it be a surprise.
Speaker 3: Well, I think from our conversation yesterday and another good friend of mine had said, look at it this way, Rach, even though they're missing him and they'll miss him like crazy, like if he's gone for the I think it's the entirety is like five to six weeks or something like that. At the same time, they're still getting to watch him live every single day. And then you had sort of said to me to sell it as a surprise. Yeah, Sam and I had spoken about it as being a surprise, But I think the enormity of what yesterday was, which was leaked in the press, so it was on papers, it was like interviewed, it was, you know, so much of it that I was like, Okay, now I feel like the world knows and my girls don't.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: So you feel as I felt a bit shitty about holding out on them for that part of it.
Speaker 2: You could not have told them beforehand, No, because you know what kids are like.
Speaker 3: You could not have like.
Speaker 2: There is no way kids can't make secrets.
Speaker 3: I couldn't have told Nanady. Half of Brisbane would have known.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you couldn't have told the girls previously because you were worried that they I'd be like.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you tell us? Yes, and so I was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, make it about them. This was about we wanted to surprise you. It's exciting that kind.
Speaker 3: Of They loved it. In the end, we went through all emotions. Actually, I have to say there was highs and lows. And I think by this second advert, after he had come on, finally I sort of turned to Gracie and she's in tears, and I was like, what's up, mate, Like what are you crying for? You know, remembering that I have been with them permanently attached for the whole entire week. So my quota of feeling sorry for you because you're crying, it's just not there, because it's like also eight o'clock at night. So I was like, what's up mate? Really, like why are we crying for? He won't be able to see me go to high school. He won't be able to see me in my uniform, and so she wanted to go down that route. I understand that, I said, but you're saying it like he's chosen like this over you. It's not like that I'm here, me still here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dylan, Like I said yesterday as well, is that it's a decision for the family. I know it's a TV show and it looks fun and all the rest of it doesn't look fun.
Speaker 3: But like it comes updoors.
Speaker 2: He's a TV guy, he's a but he needed to.
Speaker 3: Really push himself. There is an element in there of going like how far can I push myself out of comfort zone? Because there's nothing comfortable about what I saw last night?
Speaker 2: And he said to you before he went to Africa, what have I done?
Speaker 3: I can't do this?
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: I've made vision for his own mental health and self esteem, all of those things, Like this is going to be like a life changing thing.
Speaker 3: I hope, So I do hope so for him individually, like yes, for the family, Yes, for his career and all of those sorts of things. But personally on a personal level, like we've been made since grade eight, this is going to be wonderful for him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is that you're potentially going to be solo parenting your kids for six weeks. How much he enjoy watching those horrible trials to eat.
Speaker 3: I don't have any Yeah, I don't have any sympathy there. I think last night was something like his dinner and the dinner sort of got dropped in and then they like opened it up and it was like chook's feet or something, and I was like, sweet, what did you have?
Speaker 1: Steak?
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 2: Steak and prawns. When you have moments of the kids getting too much for you, just take yourself out of for dinner.
Speaker 3: Fuck. I hadn't consider that, but maybe I'll take myself out for dinner.
Speaker 2: You're going to think about your dinners so much over the next six weeks, and you're going to just enjoy them so much. Thinking about what Sam's do?
Speaker 3: You know what? The one thing and I'm just going to wrap this up because this is relevant to all mums and dads. Majority would be very reliant on one coffee, maybe two a day. Sam was at four. His throat will be cut over. Yes, number one it would be food, but number two would be coffee. Yeah, so every time I do have a coffee, which is like I'm in that quota of two a day, Yeah, think of him. I have one, and I think Jesus is nice. So selfish hats off to him. Good luck, Sam, good luck to be amazing. I'll just hold the fort for everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you ever do that thing? I do know couples that do this that go okay, you've gone away to kind of know, I'm owed a weekend away sort of thing, like you've got six weeks.
Speaker 3: I know this, and we're both turning forty this year, and one hundred percent people that know me very well yesterday in phone calls because it was a very busy day, was oh my gosh, you've got six weeks. A crude, if he gets the finals, you've got six weeks. And I was like, fuck, yes, that is European summer here.
Speaker 2: I can't What do you want to do for your fortieth raight, I'm just gonna go away six weeks on my own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, don't even worry. It's crossed my mind several times.