Speaker 1: If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I've partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty bio markers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalances. Then, over eight weeks, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. I was running an online workshop this week and I got a comment from a lovely lady called Erma. She said, generally I eat well and exercise and I strength train, but now it's like I look at food and it goes straight onto my hips and thighs, and then lots of people are commenting and agreeing with her. Now, if I had one dollar for every time I got a comment like this, I would definitely be able to retire very very soon.
Speaker 2: There is a huge.
Speaker 1: Proportion of us who are just at a loss as to why our bodies are not responding the way they used to. It causes confusion, frustration, helplessness, disempowerment even and I am on a mission to help decode and reset what on earth is going on. This is Healthy Heer with Amelia Phillips. There is nothing more frustrating than feeling your clothes getting tighter, feeling heavier, bloated, or gaining weight, and just not understanding why we're watching what we eat, we're exercising, we're doing all the things they're telling us to do, yet it doesn't seem to be working. So what is going on under the bonnet of our body? Is our metabolism just slowing down as we hear? Or could we potentially be on the slippery slope to insulin resistance and yet not really.
Speaker 2: Know about it.
Speaker 1: One lady who can help us answer this question is author Lara Brydon. Lara is a naturopathic doctor with more than twenty five years experience in women's health, running her clinic in christ Church in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Plus she's a global speaker on women's hormone health.
Speaker 1: She has published three very popular books, The Period Repair Manual, The Hormone Repair Manual, and Hot Off the Press Just published the Metabolism Reset, which is what we need. These are practical guides to better health using nutrition, supplements, and where needed, body identical hormones. Lara sits on several advisory boards and is the lead author of a number of peer reviewed papers. Thank you so much for joining me today, Lara.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: We all have this pretty good understanding of what our metabolism is. But what is metabolic flexibility or probably for many of us, metabolic inflexibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. So metabolism. I think you know many of us when we think about metabolism, it's like, you know, how fast or slow is metabolism, But really, as you know, there's more to it than that. It's really about energy and how the body uses energy and how well it can access energy and is in simplest terms, metabolic flexibility means being able to switch between burning fat and burning carbs, which are always burning a mix of those two. But more specifically, for most of us in the modern world, it's about being able to access and burn fat stores for energy, and with metabolic inflexibility, we start to lose some of the ability or capability of doing that, and that can lead to many downstream effects. First and foremost, feeling a lot hungrier all the time. If you think about it, even just a normal not overweight body contains enough energy. I've heard it described there's enough energy to walk between Sydney and Melbourne on the energy that we you know, hold on our and so that's actually almost a limitless amount of energy if we could be able to dip into that. So unfortunately, with the common problem of metabolic inflexibility and is related insulin resistance, we start to lose access to all that energy store and at the same time not be able to burn fat.
Speaker 1: So basically what you're saying is, yeah, our body stops dipping into that fat store and dipping into that great energy reserve which is fat.
Speaker 2: If you think about it, I'm squeezing your.
Speaker 1: Eyes right now, my tummy and my arms, there's lots of energy there. And so when we're inflexible, our body is basically prioritizing the easy access sugars or carbs, mainly from our diet, and then it's becoming much harder to access the fat, which is already explaining one of the challenges we have, which is stubborn weight. So what are some early symptoms of insulin resistance and why does this affect our weight?
Speaker 2: And is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Insulin resilt, metabolic inflexibility and insulin resistance.
Speaker 3: I tend to use them almost interchangeably, but I mean they're a little different when you look at sort of the nuances of all the biochemistry. We don't have to get into that today, but I think they're very closely related. One causes the other. It's like a vicious cycle. So insulin resistance is certain tissues in the body being less sensitive to the hormone insulin, resulting in chronically elevated insulin. That's a big part of the problem. It's so common. I mean, some estimates put it at like almost one in two adults have this, and it's reversible, and yet a lot of people sort of don't know about it. And I know it's kind of a fancy term. Maybe you're the same. I've been trying to talk about insulin resistance for like twenty something years, and it needs a better brand, I guess, or a better label, because a lot of people do just tune out when they hear that word. And so I'm encouraging your listeners keep listening. It's not as complicated as you think. It's actually very important and an answer to your question, what are the some of the signs and symptoms, Well, the first, I would say, the first sign, in the earliest sign is feeling normally hungry, like feeling hungrier than you used to or hungrier than you should. And that's because normal insulin sensitivity should promote what's called satiety or that nice, you know, feeling you have enough energy between meals. You'll still get hungry. It's not normal to get hungry when it's time for your next meal, of course, and that stomach growling hunger, and we need to be you know, fueling ourselves. But what I'm talking about is satiety or the feeling of not needing to snack between meals, and yeah, you can see. I mean the fact that that's one of the earliest symptoms of insulin resistance really speaks to how it insulin resistance causes weight gain. Now, this is one of the things in Mighty book and the metabolism Reset is there's been a debate in the scientific community, which I'm sure you're very aware of, which comes first. You know, does weight gain, does facking cause insulin resistance or the other way around. And I'm kind of in the camp that I think the insulin resistance comes very early in the process.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. And looking at these online programs where I'm running hundreds of people measure fifty by the markers and get to see their insulin resistance, and it's amazing how many people's insulin markers are starting to whisper and move, and their metabolic markers are moving that way, and they're just in the early stages. The weight gain hasn't necessarily kicked off yet, and they're so much easier to reverse than the ones that have a lot of stubborn weight that's already there for sure.
Speaker 3: And the weking that is downstream from insulin resistance is very specifically the weight around the middle, not.
Speaker 2: The squishy fat.
Speaker 3: Not the squishy fat, it's the hard one inside. And so people listen might have this. I've seen it on my paties. It's like a hard thread under the rib cage. Like people will say, I have this uncomfortable, like yeah, quite solid swelling under the ribcages. It's not pleasant to have, and that can start to show up as increased waste to hip ratio, so taking measurements can be helpful. I'll just give a nod to hip and bum weight, which is actually a little quite different, and we can maybe circle back to that in the end if we have time, we could meet again to talk about that. But like some women just have bigger bums, And that's a lot of that's just about genetics and estrogen and much less about what we're talking about today, And it's the insulin resistant weight. It's that in visceral fat inside the abdomen that is associated with all the negative health outcomes. And the research is really solid around that having insulin resistance untreated over decades will definitely increase the risk of cardiovascular events like heart attack and stroke, and dementia even probably us due process, so even cancer possibly. So yeah, it matters quite a lot, which is obviously why I'm so passionate about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to close out the symptoms so that people listening can get a sense of whether this applies to them or maybe someone they know, or to think about it for the future. So feeling hungry, and that is such a one I see.
Speaker 2: Even in this same.
Speaker 1: Workshop for my lovely lady Irma was talking about there's so much talk of once I start in the morning, I'm just hungry all there and never feel that full. So society the weight shifting around the middle. Are there any other signs and symptoms that we're starting to get into that metabolic inflexibility and insulin resistance.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, let's just list them off for people so they can We'll list a few physical ones and then people can well list a few blood test ones they can go and get out their report and some all of these are blood markers that people will just have, you know, anyway, from their last probably from their last check up with their GPS. So the other physical signs is skin tags. You get them on the kind of the neck and they're like little tags.
Speaker 2: They are tags.
Speaker 1: They're almost like moles or beauty spots, kind of just dangling there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some people get them removed, but if you're getting a lot of them, that's usually a sign of insulin resistance. There's also some people in a more severe insulin resistance. Some people, depending on the genetics, will get kind of the darkening under the arms and around the neck. That has a fancy term called nkan those as Nigrikans. It's something people might have noticed, and women are also high androgen symptoms, so it can be downstream from insulin resistance, so more facial hair, body hair, hair thinning on top of the head. And then on the blood tests, one of the first ones to look for is high triglycerides.
Speaker 2: Which is cholesterol.
Speaker 1: So if you think about your cholesterol markers everybody, and we measure this in our programs as well, you've got total cholesterol HDL, which is kind of what we label healthy LDL lousy, and triglycerides, so elevated triglycerides, yes.
Speaker 3: Elevated triglyslides, especially in ratio to low HDL. So there's a citation in my book where some experts think that high troglysides low HDL ratio is one of the best surrogate what they call surrogate markers of insulin resistance. It's not a direct measure of insulin resistance, but it's pretty it correlates pretty strongly. So that's an easy one and it's not expensive. It's not a fancy test like you probably just have that sitting there on that basic test. Another one that I always look for for my patients, not too technical, but I think this is useful for people. It's high alt, it's in the general biochemistry part of the test, and it's one of the liver enzymes. If all the liver enzymes are elevated, that could mean alcohol or something or something quite different actually, So obviously you need to check with your GP about any abnormal readings. But if it's only the high alt and the other ones are normal, especially if alt is over nineteen sorry the units we use in Australia international units per leader. I think if it's over nineteen, that can be assigned insulin resistance. So those are some EASi ones. CRP listeners might know what that is.
Speaker 1: Yes, inflammation, Yes, yes, inflammatory marker which we measure a whole bunch of them as well, and that's a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that correlates with insulin resistance. And then you can measure insulin. And this is a little bit of nuance involved in it, but you know, without going into it in too much detail. It you measure the hormone insulin, which is different than just measuring glucose or just measuring HbA one C. Those are not insulin, those are sugar. Measuring the hormone insulin is a more direct way to measure insulin resistance. What we're looking for is of elevated fasting insulin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that brings me to my question, is insulin resistance and pre diabetes the same thing.
Speaker 3: Simplest way to say it, I think is pre diabetes is a more advanced stage of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is a thing elevated levels of insulin reduced sensitivity in insulin that can show up while blood sugar is still normal. That's important. Then once blood sugar starts to go out of range, which might be a decade or fifteen years later, then that officially is now under the umbrella prediabetes, but it's still insulin resistance. And then eventually type two diabetes is still insulin resistance. So it's like a gradation of insulin resistance severity.
Speaker 2: It's all the lovely journey.
Speaker 1: We kind of start with this mild insulin resistance based on those markers you just rattled off, you know, cholesterol, triglyceride crp ALT. This is why it's so important to understand and track your markers. You're looking at them just kind of creeping up, or maybe you've got one or two, and eventually you have the full hand, and then it's this lovely journey of okay, or now we're insulin resistance. Then we start to see the HbA one C, which is you're you know, starting to see your pre diabetes coming up and so on and so forth, and we can reverse this. We've got to catch it early, and we've got to catch up before menopause kicks in, which we'll talk about shortly. But let's switch into some practicalities here. So let's say one of my beautiful listeners is sitting here not in going yep. I've got a couple of those things I think I am getting, you know, on that pathway. What are the top nutrition strategies that she should start to do today to help reverse that and prevent it from progressing.
Speaker 3: As you know, there's lots of debate about this. Everyone's got, you know, a theory. I'll start with it, just the simplest, and then I'll just explain the troubleshooting approach that I took in the metabolism reset. So I think most of us can agree that a return to or a switch to whole foods is paramount you That is, it's really not possible to reverse it without eating whole unprocessed foods. And then in my book I do talk about sheltering from vegetable oil, which I'm not sure where your position on that is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we want to hear from you whether I agree or disagree, but I do definitely agree those you know Amiga six heavy oil. Can you just explain because for most of us, well, they're all vegetable oils, olive oil, panola I.
Speaker 3: Mean, this is where some of your listeners might have heard the contrast around seed oils. This is where they're distinguishing between fruit oils, which would be avocado and olive which are fruit os which are mostly olaic acid or something called mono unsaturated, which is good. And that's like the one place where almost any whatever camp you're in, everyone agrees mono unsaturated.
Speaker 1: Get your cold pressed olive oil, folks, get it out there. But then I'm hearing people saying I can't fry in it. Well, you shouldn't be frying.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about with vegetable oil is actually the whole group of like corn oil and soybean and where it's predominantly something called a Mega six and it's always a mix, like there's a little bit of a laic acid and other vegetable oil, so it's always a mix. But the weird thing actually about a Mega six and some of the research around it. It's an essential fat acid, so it's a nutrients. It's an essential nutrient. So obviously it's not bad per se, but it's just the amount of it relative to a Mega three, potentially even relative to a saturated fat cult fifteen, which we could maybe talk about a lot of bit today. High Omega six is the research seems to be growing that it interferes with insulin sensitivity via a few mechanisms.
Speaker 1: And so basically, if you're having banana bread, if you're having baked goods, if you're having pastries, fried food, fish and chips, et cetera, all of those have been cooked, baked.
Speaker 2: Fried, prepared with omega six's.
Speaker 1: And I think because a lot of us straight away go to our pantry and we think, well, you know, I only use that vegetable oil occasionally. I'm mostly using olive ol. But you forget that it's in so much else Have I covered it? Is there anything I'm missing? I mean a lot of those packaged food cereals what.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, and it never used to be right. So this is possibly possibly part of the explanation of why metabolic dysfunction or insulin resistance has been on a steep incline over the past few generations. And something's happened in the foods are high. Part of it could be just the massive change to a heavy omega six intaken all the processed food exactly you mentioned. So back to the easy tips whole fruits which straightaway avoids some of what you've been describing. Take some steps to switch to olive oil or butter or coconut oil other non omega six heavy oil. You can still have like omega six in nuts and zeas. Just to be clear, it's not something you have to avoid, it's just you don't want to be having massive amounts of it. And then the other thing to shelter from probably alcohol, I would say too, shelter from alcohol to some degree certainly, and then also shelter from high dose sugar. And it's another funny topic because everyone's like, oh, but this you know, this is about fructose, high dose fructose. This fructose and fruit, yes, and most experts degree that's not what we're talking about. That low dose frctose behaves quite differently in the body for reasons we can you know, go into or people can find in my book. But we're talking about soft drinks, a massive dose of fryctose that it's not hard to get actually, so soft drinks, some smoothies, especially you know shop ones fruit juice. The metabolism really struggles with that. That's basically sending some very strange signals to the machinery of our metabolism that it's time to store fat. Basically, our ancient ancestors used insulin resistance as a way to become hungrier and store more fat. It was an adaptive thing. And now we've got this situation of mismatch with our environment where we're getting these foods that we would have never ever had constant access to you like this, and our coure metabolism is very confused. And this is why I called chapter one of the book weaken is not your fault, Like, we are living in this very strange food environment obasigenic.
Speaker 1: I heard that word about five years ago and I just went, yes, we are living in an obaesogenic environment where everything around us conditions us to you know, eat more, move less, and it's not our fault, but we do have an element of control to be able to adjust for this. But it feels uncomfortable. I was walking through the airport the other morning, could I file it took me forty five minutes to find something healthy to eat that was you know, logolycemic index that didn't have the Amiga sixers, and Laura, I just want to wrap this. I love to be super practical in healthy her and so basically what you've said we're going through our nutrition strategies is you've said we're avoiding those ultra process foods, particularly the ones with the Amiga sixers in them. We're cutting our alcohol down, we're avoiding high dose sugar. So basically any sugary drinks, I'm going to throw in artificial sweetness in there as well. My position on artificial sweetness is if you are using them as a means to get off the sugar, transition through them. But they should not be something that, you know, the diet coke you're having every afternoon, it might be something that you're transitioning through.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean the research, as you know, is quit mixed. I think it's not ideal to land on some of the sweetness as a long term daily plan. Now, I think that if nothing else, the microbiome seems to not like them. Some are better than others. But it's a section in my book about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, all right, so we've got that, we've got the sugary drinks. Would you say the same for kind of high carbohydrate meals? So is that I imagine where you are going next these high glycemic index meals, your pasta's, etc.
Speaker 3: Of course, And that's where there some individuality starts to come in. And that's why the Metabolism Reset is a troubleshooting manual because it really is sort of a first step. One assessed if you have insulin resistance, how severe is it? And then what are the other things going on with you? And so that's where some decisions will need to be made about bread and pastas and wheat and particular And there truly is not one size fits all plan for that. That just truly is not. I mean, some people do need to go lower carb. And I'll just point out that one thing about a lower carb diet, which you know I support for certain individuals, it's not just the direct glycemic effect and the direct effect on insulin is actually just through my netropathic lens. It's also the fact that a lot of carbs, especially refined carbs in the diet is not great for the gut either and can drive something called CIBO or small intestinal vecteria overgrowth, but in turn directly impairs insulin sensitivity. So I know, we tend to think that the gut as maybe separate, but it's actually very involved in all of this. It's a huge signal to metabolism, and so any diet changes that improve gut health will ultimately improve metabolic health as well. And that's partly where decisions you know, do you need to avoid wheek, how much carb can you have start to come in. And there are people out there who feel well on a high whole food carb diet, and so that's fine, but some people simply don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've just touched on such an important point where this is very personalized and nuance, and we have these kind of big blanket tips as what we're talking about now. But that's why that knowledge and that self discovery I think are two really key pieces to plug together. The self discovery in you know, tracking your biomarks and understanding what really is going on internally for you, and then the knowledge and education about all right, well, if that's what they are, then what does that actually mean for the choices that I make? I think that's super important. If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you inner vitality. It's a brand new online program that uses over fifty biomarkers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and the insufficiencies, deficiencies, or out of range markers that might be holding you back. We look at all aspects of your health, from your metabolic health to hormones, vitamins, minerals, liver, kidney, thyroid function and more. Then, over the eight weeks as a group, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance and bring back your vitality. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. What about intermittent fasting for insulin resistance.
Speaker 3: Research is pretty solid that it's helpful, and again there's going to be nuance. And again it's like you know what tape. Because it's such a broad umbrella, there's all different ways to do it.
Speaker 1: I think for a lot of people it's the overnight fasting that seems to work best, where you might finish eating dinner, say eight pm, and then you might not eat breakfast for fourteen hours, so it might be ten am or even longer for some people. I'd love your thoughts on the extended overnight fast.
Speaker 3: Overall, I think it can be beneficial and it's our natural way of eating. Like I said my book, one can call it intermittent fasting, or just call it not eating over an eight which is one hundred percent what you're a microbiome and never expect you to do. But circle back to metabolic flexibility here, because depending on the individual, actually this is another symptom. This has be actually a primary symptom of metabolic inflexibility. If people have tried even a gentle overnight fast like you're describing and got low blood sugar and panicked and felt weak and you know, dizzy, and that's metabolic inflexibility. That's not being able to successfully access your fat stores for energy.
Speaker 2: So that's literally a blood sugar crash.
Speaker 1: Like literally, even though you might have an amazing abundance of energy in your fat stores on your body, your body just can't access that fat. Oh that's so frustrating. There's so much of it there, Why can't we access it?
Speaker 3: Some people get really scared off fasting if they tried it and they felt terrible. It's like, right, So what I say then, is that's a sign of metabolic inflexibility. Take a few steps back, put in place some of the other ways to build metabolic flexibility, including getting enough protein, especially protein in the morning, you know, getting enough sleep so Katie, and rhythm moving the body. All these things can promote metabolic flexibility. And then when you're healthier, you know, and feeling better, and if you want to incorporate that kind of overnight fast then yeah, do it, and it should feel good. It shouldn't be our problem. So that even the very process of considering intrim infesting is a good diagnostic step.
Speaker 1: I think I also noticed just because a lot of us, the problem is we are overfed. Back to your point about our environment. For the majority of us, we are for whatever reason, we are overfed, we eat too much. I find that with my members that overnight fars sixtending it out where you're having almost like a brunch late in the morning and then you're basically not needing a lunch. You just have a little simple snack, which for my busy people is music to their ears. And then you're having an early dinner, which is great for my families who don't want to feel like they're having to eat some teeny tiny link cuisine for dinner and diet, and then the whole family's eating something different. You're having to cook three meals at night. I just find it works really well for a lot of my mum's out there and not having to kind of prepare three four meals a day.
Speaker 3: I would just say one thing about that is people do need to know their chrono type as well. So there are the early birds, there are those kind of people who do need like the protein smoothie or some hit in the morning, genuinely kind of need that for their system. And then there are the more night owls who love the idea of like a ten am breakfast, you know that sort of suits their body clock a lot better. So someone could write a whole book on circadian rhythm, which of course people have done, but like circadian rhythm is such a big part of their.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I love that concept of, you know, honoring the fact that we are all different. You can have owls, you can have fowls. Let's talk about menopause perimenopause, and what happens is wh're transitioning through those to a metabolic flexibility.
Speaker 3: The transition starting in about the middle part of perimenopause, around the time when maybe periods were starting to get further apart. We do get one researcher called it as a major metabolic upheaval. It's a massive calibration phase for every part of the body, including nervous system. This is I discuss recalibration in my perimenopause book, Hormone and Permanual, But our metabolism undergoes a recalibration as well. And what we basically happens is we lose the kind of metabolic superpower of estrogen. So the way I think about it now is during our reproductive years we get this gift of estrogen. You know, I would argue we're not necessarily meant to have it forever. We can talk about that, whether we supplement it after menopause or not. But it gives us some enhanced insulin sensitivity compared to men the same age, which is actually extremely interesting. And then of course losing that or starting to lose that, we become naturally a bit more insulin resistant. Now, again for our ancestors, that wouldn't have been a problem because they had metabolic flexibility. They've just kind of shift to sort of a leaner version of, you know, more fat burning version of metabolic flexibility. But in our modern food environment that does quite dramatically increase the risk of insulin resistance with the paramenopause transition. And again there's ways to mitigate that, but it's just something we all need to be aware of. That's why we get this thickening around the waist in our forties and into our fifties, and that classic sort of hour glass shape starts to change. Along with the insulin resistance of perimenopause goes. We become relatively dominant in androgens or testosterone compared to estrogen and progesterone. That's also part of the body shape change. Would become less hourglass, more square.
Speaker 1: Usually and so when you're talking about these strategies to mitigate this, are you referring to these same strategies through perry and menopause. Is there something else we can be doing on top of some of the tips you've just mentioned through nutrition, and I want to talk about some lifestyle tips as well. Is it the same, but we've just got to be more aware that our hormones are working against us during these years.
Speaker 3: So it's the same. And then there's the option of estrogen therapy. But it's the same, and it sort of answers the question of why people are like that is just how it is now. So an example might be we talked about, you know, dialing the caribs up and down, like it might be that, yeah, you could get away with you know, muffins and bread and stuff in your thirties, but now you can't and may never be able to again. And I have a section of my book called letting go of what You're used to. So the fact that we're used to eating these baked goods, packaged commercial breads, those foods were never normal from a biological perspective. They were never healthy for us. It just meant when we were younger we could get away with them.
Speaker 1: Doctor Yasmina on our program calls it your metabolic engine changing. So you might have been unlettered petrol before and now it's switched to diesel, and if you don't switch the fuel, then you know your engine's not going to work as efficiently.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was quite a visual.
Speaker 3: That's a really good analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, great way to explain it. I want to touch on exercise. I think we all know that sleeping well and managing stress and all of that is and it's such a broad topic, so I'm going to park those because let's assume that we are sleeping well and managing our stress, which I'm sure my audience is laughing, going, oh yeah, right, as best as we can with exercise any Obviously, exercise is good for this, but do you have any key strategies when it comes to exercise to help prevent or reverse our insulin resistance?
Speaker 3: I mean, the research comes down, you know, it's pretty clear that strength chraining is probably one of the winners. Strength training combined with vigorous walking or swimming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that cardiovascular as well. But a lot of us are very happy with our walks and we're kind of out and we're doing that. But I do see the challenge for a lot of people is when they want to do strength training and then then like, well, I don't know what to do. The gym's very male dominated, it's very intimidating, or I am injured, or I'm scared of getting injured. It's a much more challenging shift if people haven't been doing strength training all their adult life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll just say a couple of things about it. First of all, just I think for anyone out there, depending on how active you have been or the first step is just to do anything, like just whatever movement you enjoy, Yeah, is like great, don't overthink it. One thing I worry about is like all the detailed advice about exercise, and some people that I've talked to are just kind of left going, well, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: So it's too hard not going to do anything. So get your shoes on, get out the door. That's step one.
Speaker 3: Yes, whatever it is. And in terms of strength training, I do confess in the book that although scientifically I'm all on strength training it seems to be incredible, I don't actually do it myself.
Speaker 1: Lara, this is your wet fish slap from me to you.
Speaker 2: It is time to practice what you preach.
Speaker 1: Young lady. And I hope everyone laughs that even us experts have our Achilles heels?
Speaker 3: Is it true? And it's because of all the things like I don't like going to the gym. I don't we don't have any rates at home. But what I've done so far to get around that, just to work in with my own practice, is I am using resistance bands and static plank and squats and stuff as part of my at home yoga practice. I've tried to make it a bit more like a strength building version of yoga. So there are ways to do it. There are ways to kind of dial up that muscle building without getting too complicated.
Speaker 1: All right, So what I'm hearing, whether she's doing it or not, guys, she wants us to strength train, and I've got lots of episodes on that.
Speaker 2: Let's just at a high level.
Speaker 1: And even if I think also starting with the pilates class is great because that's a good stepping stone, but you do need to lift everything. So all right, and what about them talking about other strategies such as supplements or you know, medications. I think, particularly for someone listening who has been diagnosed with insulin resistance or pre diabetes, Are there any medical or supplement treatments you recommend? And I'd like to exclude golp ones like a zen pic because I'm actually going to do a whole episode on this in a few weeks. But what about like met foreman, myoenosatole, specialized probiotics like acremensia.
Speaker 3: So there's lots of options. I mean, met Forman is the most popular, and it definitely does help improves insulin sensitivity.
Speaker 2: Can we take it preventatively?
Speaker 3: I think they're better things than that. I mean, I'm not a lot of my patients do take that form and I'm not against it, you know, so if it's been working, it's been helping, that's fine. You do have to watch provitamin B twelve deficiency with that medication in particular, and fortunately met foreman can be combined with a lot of the other things. Some of the supplements I'll give you the top five supplements in my book. They're what I call my metabolic Supplements Combo for insulin resistance. People don't have to buy the book to learn what they are and again, you don't to take all of them, but any combination. So I think the most important and descending order of importance are magnesium. A lot of people probably know, but I call it the natural meta form in. Some experts think that deficiency of magnesium, or subclinical deficiency of magnesium in our food supply is a major driver of insulin resistance. I don't think it's that simple.
Speaker 1: But I cannot tell you of all the markers that are insufficient or out of range. So cholesterol was the highest in my members, or LDL triglycerides, Magnesium everyone so low, and it's such an innocuous It's not like some of the other nutrients where there's enough limit.
Speaker 2: You've got to be careful.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can really just keep taking this stuff every day.
Speaker 3: It's very safe except for people who have pre existing kidney disease. It doesn't harm kidneys in a healthy person, but like if someone else has got something else going on, I mean, it's fine to try to test it with blood test, but I'll just say for people, even if it's normal on a blood test, that doesn't mean it's normal. Insight the mitochondria, which is where it's supposed to be So my five are magnesium and aminosi called taurine, which I'm a huge fan of a lot of Australian supplements combined magnesium in turine for their metabolic powers together than innocetol, which is that you mentioned. It had quite a bit of randomized control trial evidence for improving insulin sensitivity and women with pcos and menopause. Then glycine is another amino acid I'm a huge fan of. It's antiaging, it shelters the liver from high dost feructose to some extent, it helps with sleep. It's built into some of the magnesium formulas as well. And then the fifth one is coline, which is I call it a missing metabolic nutrient because we used to eat a lot more of it when we used to eat organ meats. So coline is found in eggs, it's found in liver, and it's one of the ones where, especially if people don't eat a lot of eggs or seafood, they are probably not coming anywhere close to the recommended daily allowance for coline. The other important sign of insulin resistance is fatty liver, and that correlates with the high alt that I mentioned, So or someone might have seen fatty liver on an ultrasound. Colling is known to prevent and reverse fatty liver. So it's pretty important for a metabolic health. And we can obtain it from food or supplements.
Speaker 2: Oh, they are wonderful.
Speaker 1: And I mean you've just listed a whole bunch of practical things we can do, then supplements we can add, and really it's not about doing a whole overhaul. It's really about picking these targeted elements.
Speaker 2: Of our lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Whether it be Okay, I am going to try to introduce a little bit of strength training, I am going to pull out those sugary drinks out of my diet and wean off them. And that's how I would love you, beautiful listeners, to think about what can I just slowly pick away at in my life to help. And it really does make a big difference with this journey that we're talking about from insulin resistance ultimately to type two diabetes. And so, Laura, I guess I want to wrap up with a question to you for a woman who is struggle with stubborn weight and thinks maybe she does tick the box for insulin resistance or even pre diabetes. Out of everything we've touched on today. What is one thing she could go and do today to shift into that path of restoring her metabolic balance.
Speaker 3: Step number one is solidify and support circadian rhythm. We did talk about circadian rhythm, talking about fasting, overnight sleeping. I just shared on my social media aligning all the different body clocks inside our body can do a lot for antiaging and metabolic health. So that's a nice easy fix, you know, getting outside in the morning, sheltering from blue light at night. That's an easy one. And then a lot of the other changes that need to be made can feel easier to make.
Speaker 1: Oh that's wonderful, and that just ties it all in so nicely, that cycadian rhythm and that flow that we go through throughout the day. Now, Lara, I have not got a hard copy of your brand new book because it's literally just out, but I do hear have a copy of your amazing Hormone Repair Manual. And for any of you that watch my videos all or listen to my workshops, you will see that Lara's book, The Hormone Repair Manual, sits on my desk the whole time, and it's covered in dog ears and green highlighter, anyone going through perimenopause or menopause, the Hormone Repair Manual you must must get. And anyone who is feeling that they might be metabolically inflexible. Your new book, The Metabolism Reset is absolutely there and there you're holding that up now. For those watching this on video, Lara Brighton, thank you so much for your time today, Thanks for having me, Thanks for listening to Healthy Hair. If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty buyer markers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalancers.
Speaker 2: Then, over eight weeks, we educate.
Speaker 1: You on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance.
Speaker 2: Visit the link in the show notes to find out more.