Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. For a time, after having each of my kids, when they were really newborn, I seem to go through the short term bout of ibs and I have this really clear memory. In one particular occasion, it was with angus so baby number three, and I was sitting at the library one day ironically studying.
Speaker 2: My masses of nutrition, and I had.
Speaker 1: Him in the purpoose snoozing, and I was working on my laptop and I'd just eaten something and then suddenly that gut gurgle happened and I literally had to run through the middle of this library. I left my laptop at the desk with this poor bouncing baby in the papoose.
Speaker 2: I hope I didn't give him whiplash.
Speaker 1: I had to bolt to the bathroom and I literally just made it and it was not pretty and it was just.
Speaker 2: It was awful.
Speaker 1: And after that, I was really I had a lot of anxiety around going out, and I had a lot of anxiety around what I could eat. Anyway, I went, and you know, I did some investigation, I did some in depth testing, kind of got to the bottom of what it was, went through a bit of a protocol, and it resolved itself.
Speaker 2: And now I've got guts of steel.
Speaker 1: So I've certainly been through my own gut journey, and I have to say that when you're in the thick of it, it ain't pretty at all. This is healthy her with Amelia Phillips. If you're a woman in midlife, chances are you've noticed some gut and digestion changes happening, with the most common symptoms that we hear about being things like bloating, constipation, diarrhea or sometimes a mix of both a combo abdominal pain, reflux, heartburn, gas, and often new food sensitivity is popping up as well. But some of the other symptoms we might not associate so much but are or can be related, are things like low mood and anxiety, which can sometimes be linked to gut health. So what is causing these not so nice symptoms making us more sensitive to foods we used to tolerate well and possibly taking some of the joy out of eating. To help us understand why this is happening and how to get to the root cause through testing plus the best strategies for restoring optimal digestive health, I am joined by gastro entrologists doctor Paul Frooms. Doctor Paul is Board certified. He treats patients with gut issues in both the public and private practice and is known as the microbiome doctor, which I really love and I want to drill into the microbiome today. He also trains other doctors and practitioners in IBS management through his microbiome treatment program, which is called Best Gut Medical Doctor. Paul, thank you so much for joining me on Healthy Her.
Speaker 3: Oh, You're welcome to me. It's very nice to be asked to join you.
Speaker 1: I just love talking gut health, and I love your positioning being a gastroentrologist but also a microbio I am specialists as well, which I'm super keen to drill into. Now I've just listed off some of the top symptoms that I hear of.
Speaker 2: What are you.
Speaker 1: Seeing in your clinic, particularly for women in midlife around that perry and menopause transition, and maybe those five years post menopause as well.
Speaker 3: Well. The volume of women that I see in their forties and fifties presenting with new onset gut symptoms or worsening of gut symptoms has significantly increased, I have to say, in the last decade, probably because of my interest in the microbiome, and probably because they really struggle to actually financewers. And so what's striking is a lot of these women have had, you know, perfectly normal guts, good digestion, not too many food intolerances in their twenties and thirties, but then often around postpartum as so after pregnancy things change suddenly the different there. So what they complain of is they bloat with food whereas they didn't. Bow have its change and they can swing either way. Constipation diary, they get gas distinction, nausea, reflux, and this is often happening for the first time, and they're going, what is wrong with me? And they've been seen by GPS, they've been tried various dants, told that there's nothing really wrong, and yet these symptoms are still persisting. So I see a lot of these sort of you'd sort of call it IBS symptoms emerging or quite often in that middle age group, all the postpartum patients, and they also come with other symptoms, so a company and gut symptoms are also that is gut brain axis problems. So they always complain of enough and say this to them without them even asking, do you also have fatigue, brain fog, low mood, anxiety, poor sleep, aches and pains, and they go, how did you.
Speaker 2: Know that perfect storm? Isn't it?
Speaker 3: You got it? So I'm seeing both of those sort of groups of symptoms or clusters of symptoms in my practice.
Speaker 1: More and more what is happening mechanistically or what is happening inside our bodies that is triggering these changes and therefore these symptoms.
Speaker 3: There's a few things, but fundamentally, it's a change in the composition of the microbiome that then affects their bodies and their guts on multiple levels. So firstly, post pregnancy and midlife, there's a definite reduction in both microbial diversity and the biomass. So the populations of gut bacteria, which are so important and critical for gut function and physical and mental well being. Through the gut brain axis, they change from healthy probotic populations to what we call disbotic populations. And you add to that the overall biomass of the microbiome, so the size of it shrinks, so it's smaller, it's become inflammatory, it's less probiotic. That then triggers inflammation or what you call gut barrier changes, and then that spreads through the gut and the gut brain axis.
Speaker 2: What is driving those changes.
Speaker 3: Hormonal fluctuations is one, So as you many of your listeners will understand, the hormone fluctuations prepregnancy, pregnancy postpartum are massive and there's a subset of gut bacteria, probotic bacteria that significantly impact estrogen and progesterone metabolism. It's collectively it's called the estrabolome or the progesterbolome. So these bacteria change right. What they do is they produce an enzyme it's called a gleucuronidase or a beata glucuronidase enzyme. It deconjugates estrogen and progesterone in the gut, so that allows reabsorption of estrogen progesterone, and so that helps balance out and modulate a normal cyclical estrogen progesterone cycle in women. And that changes when the microbiome changes, so that alters normal hormone regulation. That then, of course feeds back into all these many or many of these symptoms because estrogen progesterone both modulate gut motility, so you can swing from one to the other. So if your estrogen falls, you often experience leaky gut, which drives bloating, food sensitivities, inflammation, aches, pains, and progesterone when it drops, removes its relaxing effect on smooth muscles of the gut, so then they get constipated. If they're just fluctuating all the time. Then of course the belle and the digestion become very erratic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very destabilizing, I can imagine very much.
Speaker 3: So then they get stressed. So the gut microbiome is supposed to produce a lot of lovely precursor amino acids that your brain uses to make neurotransmitters like dopamine which makes you happy, serotonin which makes you calm, melatonin helps you sleep, acettle, coline good memory. So you often lose those critical nutrients. Plus there's inappropriate activation of the vagus nerve, which connects your gut to your brain that sends messages straight to your stress centers in the brain. So you get quite a lot of cortisol, surging, stress, anxiety, all of that steaming from dys biosisycle it of the gut microbiome. And that's changed because of the stress on the body of going through the aging process plus pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to touch on the aging process as well, because you were speaking around you know, those hormonal changes. How much of these symptoms can also be a process of aging. For example, things like our ability to digest food out that you know, the quality of our digestive enzymes, the integrity of our gut lining, you know, all of the neucosal membrane. Is there those factors that also, you know, play into this picture of gut dysbiosis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a double whemy. So it's one. It's living in the West where the diet is pro despotic bacteria. It's way too high carbs, sugars, chemicals, preservatives, pesticide residues, chlorine in the water, antibiotic resides in meats.
Speaker 1: Gosh, when you list them like that, it's amazing that we're even sitting here with any gut microbiome.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty hard in the first place. So you see the deleterious effects of that on the microbiome anyway. But then you add aging to the picture, and the gut ages just like any other organ ages. So you see the ability the ability of the gut to secrete digestive enzymes, to secrete acid, both of which are absolutely critical to normal gut function, to secrete the neurotransmitters that promote regularity of the gut to make sure there isn't any altered gut permeability. You know, it's harder to maintain those nice tight junctions they're called that stop permeability. So that creates an inflammatory state, in depletion state, and you pair that with a microbiome that's already starting to take hit after hit. Then aging plus dysbiosis basically just keeps rolling on and makes it very difficult to have a very robust, healthy, strong gart and feel terrific.
Speaker 1: But the great news is that we can restore balance, and that you have seen in the work that you do and in your clinic that it's not a life sentence that we have to live with this poorly performing digestion and taking the joy out of eating. Is there a lot we can do to help buffer these effects of hormonal shifts and aging? Is there a lot that we can actually leave as we can pull to help?
Speaker 3: There is a lot you can do. You can actually alter the microbiome significantly and rejuvenate it so that the populations of toxic bacteria decline, Your probiotic populations can be restored, the permeability defects can be repaired, and so you can effectively if you work hard on it, you know what to do. You can diagnose it and you can then reverse most of these changes and then maintain them. So it's certainly possible to impact it in a very positive way.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I want to really put that message of hope out there for people, because you know, whether you're sitting here with a lot of gut issues and you know it can be really debilitating for you, or whether you're just sitting here and you're not in going Oh, yes, all those things doctor Frune just spoke about around hormonal changes in aging. It's more about I want to optimize and I want to either prevent or just you know, minimize the amount of negative impacts. And so you mentioned the word diagnosis a moment ago. Yeah, And I really want to drill into testing because I know that you're super experienced and knowledgeable and being a gastroenterrologist that also deals with all the big structural issues of our gut health, but that's also very knowledgeable in the microbiome and testing. Before we talk about microbiome mapping and what you like to test for, I think it's wise to talk about the important things to kind of rule out the dangerous things. So as a gastroin turologist, if someone comes to you and you know they've got.
Speaker 2: Some gut issues. What do you rule out the big things?
Speaker 1: And then let's get into your more detailed microbiome testing.
Speaker 3: So generally, the first thing we do when someone comes with chronic gut symptoms is that we do rule out the big things. So we check for undiagnosed celiic disease with blood testing, we look for a basic pathogen panel, which is a pretty standard stool PCR test. We usually do a gastroscopy and colonoscopy because it's incredibly important to rule out structural pathology.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that? For an everyday person, you've got to make.
Speaker 3: Sure that they don't have something like inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcer of colatis. There's another thing called microscopic colidis, which you can only rule out by taking biopsy's. You want to rule out refluxusophage artis highness, saying he's peptic ulcer disease, celiac disease. So those sort of structural things it's very important to first rule out before you go down the microbiome pathway.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's say that that all has been ruled out, or if they have something they're well aware and they're managing it. Let's now talk about the store testing. First of all, I think you have a test that you like to do. What are you measuring in this test?
Speaker 3: So essentially I like to do two tests in most patients. So we like to rule out what's called CEBO, which is small intestinal back to overgrowth, because that is very common and its major syentom is bloating and just about everybody complains of a lot of bloating, and that's bloating that decurves quickly. So we do a breath test to look at that, and we're looking at breath hydrogen methane after ingesting a sugar, So we rule out CEBO with a breath test, and we also do microbiome mapping, so this is detailed mapping of the composition of all the microbes that make up the microbiome from a stool test. And so they use PCR or sixteen S RNA technology now and there's even DNA higut sequencing they do, which will measure specific bacterial species to detect parasites, pathogenic bacteria, and then these what are called dispotic bacteria or facultative pathobions. There's lots of different names for them. These are bugs that if they are allowed to get into a state of overgrowth, cause problems like chronic ibea.
Speaker 2: So these are kind of like the opportunists.
Speaker 3: They're the opportunistic pathogens. Yep, they get a chance, they'll take over and start to cause absolute habit And we can look at all of those, look at whether there's inflammation with what's called a calprotect and we can measure zoonulin to see if the pulp there's permeability issues. You can look at measures or estimates of digestive enzyme dysfunction.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting.
Speaker 1: So when you're not just measuring you know, when you talked about the microbiome, you've got the pathogens, which are the baddies. You've got the opportunists, which maybe are not so bad in low levels but you know, small amounts, but if they proliferate, that can cause so they're kind of sitting on the fence. Then you've got the good, healthy gut bugs. But you're also looking at other things around. We spoke about aging a moment ago, so digestive enzymes, gut permeability, integrity of the gut lighting that.
Speaker 2: So you're measuring.
Speaker 1: You're looking at it at it quite holistically, You're not just looking at the bugs.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: That's right? Yeah. There are other as I mentioned, biomarkers of gut function, permeability, digestive enzome function that sort of give you a cluest to just how compromised and how severe the the effects of dys biosis are, which might zero you went onto extra treatment protocols depending on what you.
Speaker 2: Find, And tell me do you find?
Speaker 1: Is there a really common theme that you see for our ladies in perimenopause and menopause? Is there like, oh yeah, like I can just look at ten results and before even I can tell that's a perimenopause a woman or is it extremely.
Speaker 2: Unique for each individual.
Speaker 3: So there's some very common things you see, and then there's some very unique things you see that are individual because everybody's microbiome is very similar, but it's completely unique, so they're as unique to you as your retina is or your fingerprint. So while we share a great many similarities, everyone's microbiome is actually specific to them. So classically we see reduced microbiome diversity, so there's fewer spee numbers of species. So that's a less resiliant.
Speaker 1: Okay, So these are the common things. This is there if we let's look across the board generally speaking for this cohort Okay, reduction in the species. So our Amazon jungle has just now gone down to Central Park site, a lot of squirrels, but not much else.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, And so the overall biodiversity is much smaller, the biomass is smaller, and we typically see reductions in overall in lactobasaur species and biffidobacteriumicibacterium. They're the sort of commonest things you see. But then there's all these other very specific abnormalities that might be individually.
Speaker 1: Based, and that's more around like the pathogens or the opportunists that might be.
Speaker 3: That's around the pathogens that's looking at which the sort of a collective or phylotype is called proteobacteria. But within that there are multiple different facultative or pathobionts or opportunists that differ amongst people. So we drill down into those.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you just on the pathogens about one in particular which can be quite a common one where I live, which is called dian to meba and Funnily enough, my eight year old so different cohort who had some tummy pains recently, just did the standard PCR test and she came back with that particular parasite. And I know that, like I've never had her gut tested when she was healthy. What I'd love just as a little side because I know this is quite a common one.
Speaker 2: Is that one?
Speaker 1: Do you classified that as a nasty pathogen or is that more one of those opportunists? I know there's a bit of kind of you know, discussion around dian to MEBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, it's probably the most underrecognized cause of ib AS symptoms there is. It's common, but it confuses people because some people can be exposed to it, contracted and asymptomatic and just get rid of it themselves. Other people will have a sh short lived mild gastro from it and get rid of it. But then there's a group of people that have chronic carriage of dying to MIBA, and this little protosaur is responded can certainly cause symptoms in those people. So if the clinical picture is they're symptomatic. So some loose stool bloating, tummy pane, nausea fatigue, or any combination of those. Plus you've got don to MEBA. The literature says that you can't call an IBS until you've eradicated that parasite because it can directly cause those symptoms. But there's a bit of confusion around it because of the other two presentations.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's talk about digestive enzymes in our age group as well as kind of integrity of the gut lining. Do you see quite commonly a reduction in the quality of our digestive enzymes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have indirect ways of measuring it, so we have you look at the stool pancretic a lass dase, which is a reflection of how well your pancreas is secreting it your own digestive enzymes. Quite frequently that is low. And then the stool test also can look at what's called the stadecurate. It can look at whether there's undigested fats in excess in your stool. So that's another measure of maldigestion mal absorption because your digestive enzymes aren't doing the job they're supposed to. That's quite hot. I see that a lot too. The other component of that of course, is the microbiome, because it turns out your gunt bacterior do a lot, almost well, a high percentage of the digestion. For example, take carbohydrates. Now, pancreas secretes probably I think it's about eight or nine different enzymes to break down carbohydrates. They're called alderlasers. But your microbiome secretes something like one hundred and thirty of them. So who's doing the digestive work here? Yeah, we're doing a bit yep for sure, but our microbome's doing a lot of.
Speaker 2: It, a lot.
Speaker 1: So when we see that reduction in diversity and just overall size, it's going to make a difference. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted?
Speaker 2: What's really causing my stubborn weight?
Speaker 1: Am I inflamed in and resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. And when you just spoke about undigested fats and malabsorption, if someone's presenting with low nutrient levels like chronically, you know, low iron levels or some of the vitamins and minerals they're being tested just always low, even though they've got a healthy diet.
Speaker 2: Can that malabsorption?
Speaker 1: If those markers show of some malabsorption, can that be a really strong clue as to why these nutrient markers are consistently low.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. By the time it gets to nutrient deficiency, clearly you're not You're not able to digest foods to the stage where you can and absorb them properly, so you're effectively partially digesting them, but you're rendering yourself nutrient deficient. Unfortunately, because you don't forget, you can only absorb nutrients or foods that have been broken down all the way down to the size of one single molecule. So for protein, you know you've got a massive tangle of protein which is all of amino acids. You have to break that down into a single molecule called an amino acid before you can absorb it. And so same with carbohydrates, same with fats. You've got to break them down.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking of that steak sandwich that you smash standing up on your bench at home because you've got less than five minutes and you've just quickly thrown down a steak sangar before you run out to your stressful meeting or picking the kids up from school, and you're wondering why you're not your iron levels are low even though you're eating steak.
Speaker 3: It's not you know, I'm not getting the iron out of that steak because you've got to digect it to such a degree. You've also got the other thing we see is a little bit of low gastric acid secretion too, And for to particularly to absorb iroon you have to have enough acid because you can't convert the iron in food to the absorbable form without acid.
Speaker 1: I mean what I love Like I'm sitting here thinking the question isn't should I get this test? The question is why haven't I had this test done before? Because even if you're in rude health and you get this test, you've got this lovely blueprint of what your healthy gut looks like. And then if laiter down the trap, things go sideways and pair of shaped, you can then, you know, come back, and I love that you know you can literally then go all right, well, I can see I've got a digestive is to you, my microbiome might be looking not too bad or you know, like you say, a little bit different.
Speaker 2: For other people.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask, do you look at things like toxins or pesticide levels or anything like that in those tests.
Speaker 3: No, that's a completely separate set of testing looking at it, right, the complicated exposures to toxin levels and heavy metals and molds, that's a whole different field, right, Yeah, okay, but it's fair to say that, you know, most of us will have some levels of environmental toxins in our bodies because we're exposed to those chemicals kind of daily. But the most effective detoxification system you've got is your microbiome. They will detoxify those chemicals for you in your gut before you absorb them. And then the next sort of stage of detoxifications if you do absorb those, every molecule you absorb from your gut goes to your liver first, and then your liver is this massive detoxification organ that will try and save you from these or detoxify these these chemicals for you. But even then the liver gets put under stress and sometimes they get through and yeah we have systemic.
Speaker 1: Sinct yes, and cells start behaving badly. Yeah, well, let's talk about solutions. So let's talk about when you have got this amazing insight through this testing and you're able to then make some targeted changes, is there a foundational kind of framework or protocol or blueprint that we can look at, knowing how unique each result is going to be, But how do you tackle this person.
Speaker 2: We've ruled out all the nasties, we've ruled.
Speaker 1: Out, you know, the what we spoke about earlier with structural changes and blood in the stool and that sort of thing. But looking at this particular stool test, where do we go to rebalance.
Speaker 3: Over years of working in this space. I've sort of boiled it down to a four phase program framework, if you like, with which I tackle everybody, but it's tailored to what we find on the stool test and the sebow breath test. But essentially it's the first phase is you test properly, and we've gone into that. That data driven diagnosis then allows you to move forward. Phase two is whatever we find that is either pathogenic or is potentially toxic, whether it's parasite, bacteria, fungal overgrowth, we will literally do it what's called a kill phase, which is usually it may be a combination of anti fungals antibiotics, but there's also plant based extracts we use, and biofilm disruptors and diet so.
Speaker 1: And that's very individualized, like you'll give two women very different things.
Speaker 3: Depends on what you've got, So there are some things we use in everybody. We always use the same biofilm disruptor, et cetera. But what we use to target your bugs depends on what we find in the stool test. After we do the kill phase, then this third and probably even more important phases to then start restoring a healthy microbiome, because a healthy microbiome will help you rebuild a healthy gup barrier. So this is when probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, other nutrients that we use that stimulate epithelial repair and growth are brought into play. And then once you've corrected all of that, the final phase is maintained. Because what we find is that probiotics are great for getting things, and probiotics, et cetera, nutrients like glutamine, et cetera, all very good for rebuilding populations of microbes, but they're not permanent. They don't stay or integrate and become part of your permanent microbiome. So really, you and I are going to still get exposed to stress, We're still going to expose to hormone disruptors, We're still going to get exposed to chemicals and that kill month the microbiome. And we're going to pick up the odd bad bug from other people because humans probably know this. Humans are the only the only animal that doesn't eat each other's poop to top up their microbiome.
Speaker 2: Thank God for that. It's all I can say. I love my microbiome.
Speaker 1: I'll pop some probiotics, but no, I'm going to leave it there. Leave it there, you know, a transpusian, maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: We have to develop other way. Very we're very good at sharing bugs because we don't do that, We've developed other ways to share bugs. So you will, you and I will get exposed to the occasional faculty of pathobiond or pathogen or yeast. So the maintain PHAs is very important. So our only defense against that is to continue to eat good probiotic foods and to take probiotics. So that's what I call maintain.
Speaker 1: If I'm hearing you correctly, it doesn't matter how amazing that step two and three of you know, I've heard people call it weeding and seeding. Yeah, this idea of you know, the kill phase and then and then the restoring phase, no matter how perfect that is, and you get your beautiful jungle looking at that point. If you then don't maintain that great diet and lifestyle habits, it will just potentially shift back to it's a reflection of what those habits are.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying, That's.
Speaker 3: Exactly what I'm saying. And so you know a lot of patients will come get fixed because they are feel great and then just down a team for follow up or just drop their probotics after a while, and sure enough, one or two years later they're back.
Speaker 1: And what I'm really hearing you say as well, is, you know, in your twenties and thirties and maybe your forties, you could probably get away with it.
Speaker 2: But because we've got that layer.
Speaker 1: Of aging on top of it and all the other fun stuff that comes with that, we're probably getting to a point where we can't just wing it anymore, and we have to be a little bit more focused and intentional on supporting that gut microbime.
Speaker 3: Totally totally right. Correct.
Speaker 1: It's so encouraging to hear you say that and to hear that framework because it really sounds achievable. What length of time step two and three? Is it something? Do you switch between it is like two weeks of weeding, two weeks of seeding, and you go back and forwards.
Speaker 2: Like that, or is it what's the time frame all of this takes.
Speaker 3: Well, the initial studies, looking at the weeding phase, we're two weeks duration, and so we follow the published literature. So it's for dysbiosis, it's a two week kill phase followed by a two week repair phase followed by maintenance.
Speaker 1: Is that it, Okay. So it's not like it goes for months or anything.
Speaker 3: No, the maintenance should go for months, but it goes through a bit longer. If there's some significant leaky gut then there's another two weeks of leaky gut repair. So that's a six week program and cibo's a six week program because that's a little bit harder to.
Speaker 2: Shift, right, Okay, And do you see great results?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do, we do. We see probably seventy percent of people have a significant change in not just their gut symptoms, but also those other symptoms I mentioned in their fifthic and mental wellbeing as well.
Speaker 1: If someone's sitting here just curious like me, I don't have any big issues at the moment, would there be any harm in getting mind tested anyway, just to kind of get a sense and maybe even as a benchmark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good idea. It's not a bad idea at all to test your microbiome because even if you think you're asymptomatic. And this is an interesting thing we've found with people is that they come in and say, oh, I'm only testing because my wife tested, and I'm okay, no, sure, we test them and we say, look, you actually got a pretty toxic looking microbiome. Why don't you do a program? They go, oh, all right, I'll do it. They come back and they say, oh my god, I didn't realize what I was putting up with. I feel so much better. But even if you are like you and you're good, you've now got a good gut. By testing your microbiome, there you can pick up what you might be at risk of. There are certain bacteria that now strongly associated and thought to directly contribute to bow pollups, bowel cancer. There are certain bacteria that are now thought to cause Alzheimer's rheumatoid arthritis. So you can be sitting on these bacteria and have no idea and they're just quietly working away. Your probiotics are sort of looking after you. But if anything changes, then oh my god, the foundation for problems later on. So you can get a window into how you're going to age and what you're at risk of.
Speaker 2: Ah, so fascinating, I'm so doing this test.
Speaker 1: Let's shift gears and talk about gut health and mood. And you did mention earlier. But if we are living a very stress filled life, often not by choice, what impact can that have on our gut health and vice versa.
Speaker 3: Well, pretty significant. So this is one of the most important and probably poorly understood areas of medicine. Right there is a gut brain axis. It's bi directional. It's not just your gut bacteria triggering off your vegas move in a good way or a bad way. It works in reverse as well, So the the brain via the vagus nerve and then the what's called the enteric or the gut's nervous system can work the work the other way and affect it in an adverse way from stress. So the connection is very big. There's over five hundred million neurons. It's the size of a cat brain. That's the gut's own nervous system.
Speaker 2: Sorry, say that again, the size of a cat's brain.
Speaker 3: Yep, the gut nervous system. The gut's got its own nervous system, and it's enormous. It's five hundred million neurons, roughly the size of a cat brain. And that's why we call wow second.
Speaker 1: Brain because the majority of serotonin is produced in the gut.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Over eighty percent? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Serotonin? So that love that feel good? That do you know that?
Speaker 1: Just feeling when you're just glowing in just you know, gratitude and you're feeling so happy and balanced and calm. Eighty percent of that is produced in this organism that, if you bundled it all together, is the size of a cat's brain.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 2: Isn't the body just the most incredible, incredible thing.
Speaker 1: And so if someone's feeling anxious and you know, oh, it's perimtopause, it's sad much generation, it's my aging parents, it's my nightm teenagers, and then they come back with a test like this and there's lots of imbalances and lots of things going out. Is there an argument to say that once you restore that balance in the gut microbiome, the teenagers don't go away, the aging parents don't go away, but potentially they will feel better or at least a bit better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so concertainly modulate that. So what you're talking about is as we age, not only do we have the effects of aging, but stresses pile up on adults. Just as you mentioned, there's multiple layers of stress that sort of get heaped on you as you age, and so that creates a situation of chronic psychological stress. Now, that activates what's called the HPA axis hypolamic peturitory adrenal axis. So then the adrenals are just pumping out all your stress hormones, cortisole. You would have heard about the cortisole stress surge adrenaline or adrenaline. So this is sort of driving people to almost exhaustion through chronic stress. So that's sympathetic overdrive, and you know that leads to anxiety and then eventually.
Speaker 1: You know, oh and also scoffing a bag of chips and downing their cocktails and all the things that it's going to be unhelpful for our guts exactly.
Speaker 3: You try and get a dopamine hit from some sugar and some fat, but you're altering your microbiome even worse because the cortisol and the stress hormones, they are bad for your microbiome. They cause dysbiosis too, They cause altered permeability and then more inflammation, and then that drives a vegas nerve and stimulates more stress, and it's a cycle of never ending stress, worse mybiome, poor out, poor diet, increasing all these what are called proteobacteria, you know those bacteria that are just sitting on the fence waiting to cause a problem suppressing your probiotics. So this is a big problem. And then of course if you don't have those lovely bacteria, you can't produce the precursors of serotonin and gabber and melbotonin and dope.
Speaker 1: Mean for the brain that buffer all of these other nasties we've been talking about. Totally, Totally, I think it's a really hard concept for a lot of people to connect the gut and their mood.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know we have.
Speaker 1: This idea, we get a gut feeling, but the fact that if our microbiome is humming away and working really well, that we actually will be able to tolerate those external stresses. And we've probably got a better handle on being able to control our microbiome than we do those external stresses. Like teenagers, I think my micromee biome will probably be better behaved exactly.
Speaker 3: Good microbiome increases mental resilience basically, and also for the for the women who are perimenopausal or menopausal, it's all compounded by declining estrogen and progesterone, which I think of those hormones as your life force. And you know, estrogen normally upregulates your serotonin receptors in your brain, so estrogen's very good for helping you handle stress and keeping you calm. So if you've you've got less precursors of serotonin and things being made in the gut because of dysbiosis, your estrogen progesterone declining, so you've got less receptor sensitivity. It's a bit of a perfect storm for low mood, anxiety, emotional dysregulation. It's just it. It plays havoc with women.
Speaker 1: I'm stopping short of diving deep into key nutrients and your thoughts on you know, are these healthy for our gut and not? But if I had a dollar for every time a woman came to me and said, I'm being really healthy. I've gone off gluten and I've dot dairy, I would be retired on a donkey farm. But but it's a really I find the dairy conversation a really challenging one because in the work that I do with a functional medicine doctor, we send so many ladies for bone density scans and osteopenia osteoporosis. It's on the rise, you know, I see on the flip side the outcome of you know, low calcium intake and you know, inactivity.
Speaker 2: And so i'd love to get your thoughts.
Speaker 1: On dairy generally. Is it always pro inflammatory? Is it you know something that as a guesserentrologist, you know I would rather see you know, less of my ladies on it.
Speaker 2: What's your take on dairy?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, it's very individual because some women literally thrive on dairy and many many men and women feel terrible on it. So first thing is, do you have lactose intolerance, then you've got to eliminate dairy. Second thing is if you have an intolerance or some allergy to caseine protein, then milk protein intolerance, you can't have dairy. So there are those two really clear cut reasons why you should avoid dairy because it literally upsets you and you won't absorb it properly and it creates a significant gut issue.
Speaker 2: And is that something you would test for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes we test for it. We do. You can do a lactose breath test to see if they're lactose intolerant. You can do a trial yourself. You can go, I'm going to drink some normal lactose milk and I'm gonna drink some lactose free milk and see if as a difference, or you do a lactose breath test, which we do in many people. If there's confusion about it the caseine protein one, you can do a blood test to look for that, or you can do your own trial and compare.
Speaker 1: I mean the problem with trialing with milk if someone's been avoiding dairy. If I didn't have any dairy for a month and then I suddenly drank a glass of milk, chances are I'd feel pretty rubbish.
Speaker 3: Well, we're meant to drink milk as infants and then wean off it. So most people will be become dairy intolerant throughout adolescents and in the early twenties if they're not drinking milk regularly because genetically we weren't meant to know. We were meant to drink breast milk, and that's it. Move on to food. But we have a dairy industry, and so if you keep drinking like black to, you keep drinking dairy, you can tolerate it into well into adulthood, in all your life, unless you know you turn off that enzyme or you're become intolerant.
Speaker 1: All right, So basically get tested if you can. And you're not sitting here saying yes, no one should have it. If you can tolerate it and it works, well, go for it. And if you can't, try to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 3: As you know, post menopause women need a lot of calcium vitamin D.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more than a whole.
Speaker 3: Lot of it, and there's a lot of that. You can get a lot of calcium from milk, but you know you don't have to get it from milk. You can get Yogurts are great because they're for minted foods. They provide do you have a lot of prebiotics. So it's nice if you can tolerate that sort of dairy or keffea.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love kafirs so yummy, and smoothies so.
Speaker 3: And they're often bitter tolerated than straight cow's milk. Aged cheese is also very good because you know they're fermented and they have a lot of basically just fat and protein which are okay, and they're not associated with the increasing inflammatory markers in some people like straight cow's milk.
Speaker 2: Up, Well, we have covered a lot today.
Speaker 1: I would love to wrap this up by asking you, finally, doctor Paul, for a woman listening who does want to optimize their gut health, what are the most important changes that you see that she should make in her diet.
Speaker 3: Well, basically the top four or five maximize plant diversity. So there was as a big study published in Cell, Host and Microbe. I think remember that study which showed if you could eat thirty different plants a week, you would have a significantly more biodiverse by a dense microbiine. It's one of the biggest things that changes your microbyne. So just number one tip, put in a nice variety of plants, fruits, and vegetables. Second, it would be prioritize probiotic fiber, so onion, garlicly jerusalem antichoke, oats, sparagus. You know, they're sort of very that are very high in prebiotic sugars and fibers like banana starch. Two that comes to mind because these will feed really important probiotics in your gut. That's probiotic foods. Three would be eat some add some fermented foods. So add a little bit of kim chiese and kiffeir sour krawn. They're really good because they're actually giving you probiotics. Four would be just drop and get out of your diet ultra process foods because they're the most chemically disrupted. And five would be sort of in general, eat a sort of the Mediterranean diet. So olive oil, olive oil, olive oil.
Speaker 1: I love that are such a wonderfully practical note to end on, doctor Paul Frunz, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You welcome.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover.
Speaker 2: The root causes of your symptoms.
Speaker 1: I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients because When you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more