Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stellar podcast. I'm Sarah La Marquin, your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australias celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to Talk About. It is a hot button issue facing parents these days, how to raise and protect children in the social media age, with everyone from the federal government, to schools to the tech platforms themselves weighing in. Candice Warna, along with her husband international cricket star David has an unexpected take on raising children in the era of social media. No strangers to trolling and negative online comments themselves. Instead of opting to keep their three young daughters, Ivy ten, Indy nine, and Islah five off in Graham, they're diving in launching a wildly successful account that has almost two hundred thousand followers. The Warner sisters are doing things differently, and on today's episode or Something to Talk About, Candace joins me for a chat about her and David's decision to start and manage the account on their daughter's behalf.
Speaker 2: There's been times where we've had paparazzis outside of our house because of certain situations, or we're at the beach and they're taking photos of myself and the kids that can be incredibly unflattering to me, to the girls. So if we put an image out there, it stops.
Speaker 1: All that and offers an unusual and thought provoking perspective on how social media could well play a role in building resilience in children.
Speaker 2: Social media doesn't have to be this dark cloud, this negative world where you know, it's everyone talks about just how bad it is all the time.
Speaker 1: Cand Just Wanner, Welcome back to the Stellar podcast.
Speaker 3: It's really nice to be back.
Speaker 2: I always love chatting to Stella and yourself, so it's good to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, the last time you and I sat down was Can You Believe? Was just over two years ago. I had the release of your memoir and that was a really powerful conversation but very raw, and I know there were a lot of tears there, and they can always be tears in a podcast, So there might be tears today, but the tone is a little bit different.
Speaker 2: It's because I'm not ready for tears, and I generally when I talk about my family that tends to happen.
Speaker 3: But I feel like today there's going to be no.
Speaker 1: Tears, and if they were, they'd be happy teas. That's right, because it is Mother's day to day. Happy Mother's Day. Thank you to yourself, Candison, to anyone listening, reading watching this, Happy Mother's to day in one form or another. And you are on the cover of Stella today with your husband David and your three beautiful girls. Glorious way to mark Mother's Day. Everyone that's tried to get a family shot knows it's always easy.
Speaker 2: It's never easy, you know, trying to get that perfect family photo. Actually, we don't have many, or generally it's David and the three girls because I'm the one behind the phone or behind the camera taking the photos of you know, all the cute things or all those moments, so I'm not usually in many of the family photos to be completely honest.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. Not only are you on the cover of the biggest magazine in the country this week, you got to finally got a shot where you're in frame. Yes, well, so that's a nice one. The girls are Ivy Indian Isler are now ten, nine and five. Yes, I'd love to ask you a little bit about the family dynamic. Obviously, every season changes you are very well known that you're an extremely close family, close knit family, you and Dave, and the dynamic with the girls as they're getting slightly older, How is that shifting if at all.
Speaker 2: I think we're still incredibly close. David's away a lot. You think he retired from playing cricket Australia, but you know, currently he's in Pakistan and then he's going to come home for three or four days, and then he's off to I think it might be the Cayman Islands, and then from there he's England and America. So I mean he's still away a lot. So the girls are my best friends. We do everything together. Well of course, you know they're still so very young. But I'm one of those mothers that love to be there and I'm president and I'm at school pickup and I try to do it all because I love that and I had parents like that. But the girls are so different. Ivory, who's ten, she's you know, the sensitive one, the one that's a little bit has that soft touch. She's very responsible. I can rely on her for absolutely anything and everything. Indy, the middle child, is the joker, always making us laugh. She's silly, she's quirky, she's incredibly loving. And then we have Isler, who is the spitting image of David, and she's full of energy. She from the moment she wakes up to go to bed at night, she is just on the go. She doesn't stop. She also is funny. She's a little bit of a lunatic. But you know, the dynamic is all very different, but it's fun.
Speaker 1: You've spoken about how when you were growing up you had a bit of tomboy energy to you, and then being the mother of three girls, how is that dynamic? Is there more feminine energy in the household that you would have anticipated when you were growing up yourself.
Speaker 2: I think the great thing about the girls is their real mixture. So I do see that tomboy side in them. You know, they play football, they surf, obviously, they play a lot of sports. But then I'll go home and they'll be doing each other's hair and you know, helping each other get dressed, and I say I like this or I like that, and they do their skincare routines and all those kind of things that all the other young girls out there are doing. So I definitely see the feminine side of them and the real girly side and wanting their hair curled and braided. But then I do see myself in each and every one of the girls.
Speaker 1: And I mean, of course that is because it is a reductive question for me in some ways about gender stereotyping, because even before we became more progressive and understanding about our conversations around being less binary about this, yes, that whole sort of you know, girls like makeup and pink and that.
Speaker 2: And I think back now why I would always call myself a tomboys because I loved playing the sports that my brothers played. But now there's so many more opportunities for young girls to play. I suppose what we used to call boy sports can play and real w we've just seen the State of Origin and the enormity of that for women, and you know, they can play the AFL, Now they can play there's cricket, there's so much more on offer. But growing up, because I liked those sports because my brothers played them, I thought, you know, I was a tomboy, and I was. But now you know, that's just the norm for young girls to do. So it's really accepted and they can thrive in any area of sport.
Speaker 1: It's such a good point. I think probably the word tomboy is hopefully a bit obsolete now, but as you say, there just wasn't that vocabulary for it, which shows a lot how far we've come with women in sport, and of course you yourself have helped play a role in changing that narrative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and growing up, there wasn't, like I said, there wasn't all those sports, or if they were, they weren't overly popular. I remember playing soccer and I was the only girl in out of four or five teams, so they put me in the d's And now there's young girls competitions. My girls play soccer on a Sunday and it's all girls competition, which is fabulous. And you saw the popularity of the Matildas and what they were able to achieve, and how they've inspired not just young girls but young boy to want to play the game and thrive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good do you see with their pedigree, obviously, with their two parents having such elite sporting backgrounds, any inkling that one of the three, maybe three of the three might have a sporting career in their future.
Speaker 2: Look, I think they would all love that. They're incredibly competitive they play many, many sports, but it's not something that we push, it's something that they drive themselves. Of Course, David and I get them to training, we support them, we do whatever we can to help them achieve their goals. But they're all really driven young girls, and I love that about them. You know, they're the ones who are setting their alarms, getting up early, getting their school uniform or their tennis close out the night before, So you know.
Speaker 3: They are.
Speaker 2: You know, I think if they keep putting in the hard work that they do, then possibly because natural ability can only take you so far, but that hard work and that work ethic will take you so much further. So look, I see that in them. I see their work ethic, their commitment, and if that's anything to go by, then I'm sure they'll have some sort of success. Whether they make it to a professional level, who knows, But for us, that doesn't determine success. The fact that they love what they do and if they can stay in a sport for a long time means that you know they've been able to find something that they truly love.
Speaker 1: The three girls, Candice, I really would love to chat to a little bit about social media. I mean, it's a hot button issue of the last year. I think how all of us relate as adults with technology is an ongoing conversation, but it's particularly a big conversation around children and social media, and of course there was legislation. And why this is such a fascinating thing I think for you and I to discuss here today is that your three daughters have an Instagram account called the Warner Sisters. It's managed by you and Dave. It's almost got two hundred thousand followers at the time of recording. Can you tell me a little bit about that decision was that them angling to open an account? Did you have any reservations? Love to know how that conversation unfolded. As a family.
Speaker 2: During COVID, David was really big on TikTok. Loved doing the dancing and just doing all the fun things that I suppose everyone else was doing, and the girls would quite often get involved in them. And I saw how much fun we were all having as a family. It would make us laugh. It brought us together on the weekends, would practice dances and do them, and the girls found a love of just, you know, doing those dances. And then they've always been in the spotlight, whether it be with David on our Instagram accounts, We've never blurred their faces out or anything like that. So I started the Instagram account for the girls and it was a way for us. It was a way for us to a few things, teach the girls how to use social media responsibly. Even though we use it. We're always showing the girls everything, you know, before we post anything. You know, are you happy with this? We show the girls. They can read the comments, you know, we show them. It's all about teaching them, guiding them. And then it's also we wanted to do it in a positive way, show everyone how fun kids can have. So how much fun kids can have. You know, our kids are just no different to any other kid. They play sport, they like to do dancers. They yes, they've got parents with a high profile. But for us, it was all about putting out a positive image and teaching the girls how to use it responsibly.
Speaker 1: A lot of different things there are that I'd love to chat further about. One of them is actually even just about putting that positive content out there. Can is because I think about this a lot. The algorithm, as I think most people know, certainly people that work in media and are working in any sort of content creation online, is that the algorithm is rewarding anger and outrage and negativity. And so when a lot of us, even if you're spending a little bit of time on one of the social platforms, it just feels like everyone's piling in on that person. Everyone's frothying up about this person, everyone's sledging this person. Feels like there's a lot of anger and hostility, And of course you and I could talk a lot about how that's spilling over into our discourse as humans. So I'd love to know about that putting lighter positive content. What's even been the response people finding it refreshing and is it getting found because we know that some of the social media platforms are deprioritizing positive.
Speaker 2: Content, so it's absolutely being found. We see that through the views of some of their reels, which can be eight million views, ten million views, twelve million views for some of them, so we know that it's being found. Regards to the algorithm, Again, my daughters don't have a phone, they don't have social media themselves. They have access to see what I've posted of their account, so they don't see any any negative things. So they're not exposed to that. But for us, it was a way to show other young people, other young users on Instagram and social media that it is like life can be fun. Social media doesn't have to be this dark cloud, this negative world where you know, it's everyone talks about just how bad it is all the time. Well, no, we learn a lot through social media as well. It brings us together, We can connect with other people, and I think we need to sort of see it as that as well. Yes, there are the dangers, and it's really important to educate people and our young young users and our kids about the dangers. What you put out there, you can't get back. And you know, that's what we're doing. We're putting out positive, fun things that we like and if you don't like it, that's fine, and we're trying to show people that, you know, it's all about having fun using it the best way possible. And I teach my girls and we speak about what would Nana think? So if we were putting a post out, would Nana agree, would Nana approve?
Speaker 3: And so we think about that.
Speaker 2: You know, if we were going to put something out that Nana wouldn't approve of, then maybe we shouldn't be putting it out because once we put it out, yes you.
Speaker 3: Can delete it, but that image can be there forever.
Speaker 1: Could you give maybe an example of that, if you're comfortable, like, what would be something where you would apply that test, would Mawter approve and you maybe decide against it?
Speaker 2: Generally, it would be the girls love doing dances, and so if the dance move were slightly inappropriate, or if the music that they're dancing to might have lyrics that I don't think are particularly appropriate, things like that. But it's all about teaching the girls because they don't quite understand. But if we can educate our daughters and our kids what's right, what's appropriate, what's inappropriate? It could be hashtags things that they pick up on at school or in the playground, but they don't quite understand. So the phones aren't going anywhere. Social media isn't going anywhere.
Speaker 3: But it's about.
Speaker 2: Limiting it and using it in a way. Like I said that we can use it in a positive weight. Phones are our our life, our heartbeat, almost you know, that's how we connect, That's how we pay well. I pay my bills, I do all my emails, I do everything on my phone, but it's about you know, I think it's an addiction, but it's also we've got to learn to sometimes just put it down or be present with our kids, or prison in an area, but they're not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: They're here to stay.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to ask a little bit about federal government here in Australia in the legislation that was passed, which was the Online Safety Amendment, which introduces a mandatory minimum age of sixteen for accounts on certain social media platforms. Now, just again to be really clear, as you've already said, ken As you and Dave are managing the account for your girls, so I know that they're not managing it themselves, as you've already discussed. But when Anthony Albanzi was drafting the legislation was before Parliament, he said, there's a clear causal link between the rise of social media and the harm to the mental health of young Australians. And obviously some of that is about trolling, but also about then the dependence I suppose that young people can get on people liking their content. So I wanted to ask what your thoughts are about that. Obviously be aware of that discussion, yes, and for you and Dave. How is that something that you've navigated in terms of the girls seeing those comments.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I would say that in regards to the girl's account, ninety nine point nine percent of the comments have all been positive. If there have ever been any negative comments on the account, it's about David and us as parents, not so much as about the kids and what they're doing. In regards to Anthony Albernezi and what is bringing in with trying to bring in with the social media. I definitely support that because, like you said, young people get dependent on the likes, and they can get depressed and the trolling, and we've seen that suicide happens from all this online trolling, and I mean that's something that's very serious. So I definitely agree with that. But that's why we manage our accounts. Our girls don't have their own TikTok accounts, they don't have their own Instagram account because I don't believe that young kids, because they are kids, have the mental capacity to deal with negativity. They don't have the emotional intelligence to deal with trolls. Even us as adults, we still don't. So I think I think it's a good thing. Whether that means we have to shut the girl's account down. So be it. If that's the rule, If that's the law, then of course we abide by that. But for us, our social media is about teaching our girls how to use it responsibly. And that's why they have an input in what we show. That's why I teach them about ignoring negativity. What you do, we just delete the comments. You mean, now you can completely turn off all you can hide likes. There's so many different things you can do now. But it's all about for us teaching the kids, educating the kids, but also allowing them to have fun as well.
Speaker 1: And coming up, Candice reveals the secret to her and David's ten year marriage. Your explanation there, I think has also answered some questions that I'm sure some people have put to you directly or listening to this might have, which is well, obviously, you being in the public spotlight for so long since you were a teenager and first becoming an iron woman, and of course David Warner of course also a huge name for both of you, You've experienced so much trolling. You and I have discussed that, and some people go, well, why even let your girls anywhere near that surely you would run am from it, and it sounds to me and it's what you're saying is you feel this is helping you, you're empowering them, and for you, your approach is more. Actually it's there. So because almost of what we've been through, we're really on the front.
Speaker 2: Foot there most definitely, and we have experienced trolling. We still experience it, whether it be a newspaper article or you know, there's people always going to leave comments that aren't very nice. But you've got to also learn that that's life and you've got to learn to if whether it happens face to face in life, you've got to learn to deal with it, to turn your back or to to you know, walk away from a certain situation. And social media is going to be there whether we like it or not. So it's for us, it's about teaching the kids, if this is what's happened, then delete it, turn your comments off, don't read it, or teaching my kids that to be positive to when they are at an age where they have their own social media accounts, how about we lift people up and we write comments on If you are going to write a comment, you write something that's empowering, something that's going to make that person feel good, you know, send some love rather than hate. And it's again, if you just completely just block it out and say it doesn't exist, well then I don't think you're teaching your kids how to use it properly. And it can be a real positive thing. And if you don't want to go on social media, don't. If you want to protect your kids in a way where you're not teaching them any life skills or anything about life, well then you're letting your kids down. Okay, So for us, it's about teaching, it's about we Also we're very protective of our kids. Again, they don't have their own social media account. They aren't old enough, you know, so so we see it all. We hear what everyone's saying. But it's for us, it's about letting them be kids also enjoy enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I'd love to ask you about the response, the negative and the positive, so both of them, because like I said, just think it's a really interesting discussion. And sometimes public sentiment seems to be going in one direction on an issue. I think especially when there is as we both acknowledge, it is really valid conversation that we're all navigating as consumers of our social media and creators ourselves, but also as parents. But the other side people going, well, I do want to be on there, and I want to actually turn the algorithm around, because if everyone that wants to put positive comment or get on there in a nice way goes away, well then I mean to put it in the most simple ways. The bad guys are going to win.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, exact.
Speaker 2: And so if you can put something on that's going to make someone smile, someone laugh, someone feels something in their heart that they may not have felt before, then you know, the more we can do that, like you said, the algorithms will change. So it's the content that you're watching obviously dictates your algorithm. So if you just flick through something, then that's going to go away. If you're going to sit there and watch it, that's what's going to start feeding your algorithm. So if I've got young girls that are, you know, in a tennis tournament and or they're at a soccer or they're doing a dance with their dad, then you know, I think that's for us. We find that fun, we find it cute, we find it. You know, people obviously like seeing it.
Speaker 1: You mentioned a bit earlier about the judgment. Yes, that's around. I often think the way that we judge other parents and the way that people parent, it's competitive bought all of its own. And I'm speaking to somebody that knows more about competitive spot than most people in Australia in the literal sense. So I imagine speaking about this today you would be bracing that there will be people coming out at you with their unsolicited opinions.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's an opinion, So I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care what people say about me, about my husband, about us as a family, because it's their opinion.
Speaker 3: It's not fact.
Speaker 2: They don't know us, they're not you know, they will probably never even see us face to face, and if they do, please approach me and don't have a conversation.
Speaker 1: But you go, no, Well that you really have partly answered it, which was as I said. I wanted to ask you about some of the positive response, and especially among younger girls, so your daughter's friends, how they're sort of responding, how they want to be engaging in social media, and then the response from parents yes that are saying well, yes, I love this, and I also want to my kids with the knowledge, and I don't want to just retreat from the platform.
Speaker 2: So most of my daughter's friends have Instagram and TikTok their own accounts, and then nine and ten, so they're seeing what my daughters are putting out there, and it's starting to change.
Speaker 3: What they're posting.
Speaker 2: Before they may have been posting, you know, get ready with me and their makeup tutorials. Now they're showing what they're doing on the weekend, if they're they're at sport or you know, they might be at the movies with their friends, those sort of things, rather than So it's changing the way they're looking at their own social media accounts and what they want to post. And you know, my daughters are really proud of their achievements and so we post things about that.
Speaker 3: But mostly it's the parents are loving it.
Speaker 2: And they like the fact that their daughters or their sons are seeing my daughter as getting outside, being active, and I think they're really well rounded because of it all.
Speaker 1: And then on the other side of the discussion, of course, in the lead up to the federal government tabling that legislation, we saw a lot of campaigns about the lockout period and a lot of high profile Australians speaking out about social media and how they don't want children anywhere near it. And I'm sure that a lot of those people would be people that you would know in your social circle. And again understand that what you and David doing is not contradicting any of that, but I again, it still would be out of step with some of those popular views that were being demonstrated by celebrities.
Speaker 2: And a lot of those people probably their kids have social media, and look, I agree with the law, there's no doubt about that. So I mean it makes a bit difficult because my kids don't have social media, so that is very different. You know, they're not accepting friends who they don't know, They're not engaging with people who are complete strangers.
Speaker 3: There's nothing like that.
Speaker 2: And I'm not here to defend their page, but I'm also here to say that, yes, it can be dangerous, and I truly believe that what Anthony Albanese is doing is the right thing to protect young kids and young adults from something that can be very dangerous. But we also have an obligation as a parent, who most parents have social media, is to teach our kids and people how to use it. In a positive way, because that can be amazing positives from it. My mother's in a seventies and uses TikTok and absolutely loves it. She has learned so many new recipes she has learned, you know, so many I suppose natural medicine on what she can do to help herself.
Speaker 3: So I mean, there's some fabulous things out there. So let's not.
Speaker 2: All be doom and gloom about social media because it's wonderful if we know how to use it correctly, and if we can empower people, or we can educate people, or we can make people smile or laugh.
Speaker 1: I think. And even before this most recent debate really ignited about social media usage among young people, a conversation that was quite prevalent again among other high profile Australians was running images of your children on social media. And as you said, you and Dave have always been careful, like very strategic and intentional. There's lots of guardrails about it, but obviously a lot of people decide, well, I'd rather that than you know, the paparazzi getting the shot. So I'd like to ask you about that kind of because as you said, you and Dave don't block out the girl's images, and obviously some people I think we feel that it seems counterintuitive, but obviously, again it's about you owning the narrative. And would I be right to say, in some ways you feel like there's more privacy if you're the ones dominating controlling the narrative.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's been times where we've had paparazzis outside of our house because of certain situations, or we're at the beach and they're taking photos of myself and the kids that can be incredibly unflattering to me, to the girls. So if we put an image out there, it stops all that, you know. So there's some ways, you know, of trying to stop certain situations. But we've never found a need to blank our kids' faces out or anything like that. We are incredibly protective of our girls. Don't get us wrong, but I don't see the need to. I mean, I'm not in a I don't feel like someone's going to come and kidnap my daughter if they know what school she's at. You know, I don't, like, I'm not that type of parent, Like you've got to live a little bit, Like if just because we have a profile and my husband plays cricket. What are we supposed to just live behind, you know, four walls and never leave there and never let our kids be seen or heard. No, you know, if it's good for us, it's good for our kids. And our kids are fine with that, and they're very happy, they're thriving, and you know, it's up to the individual how they parent, and for us, it's about, you know, letting our kids be kids like any other kid. And you know they're happy, they're really happy young girls. And you know we just, yes, we're protective, but we're also realistic, you know, in the world that we live in.
Speaker 1: When I mentioned that when you started to get a bit of media attention when you were as young as fourteen fifteen, and we're just beginning out as an iron woman and you were photographed seeing a newspaper at fourteen, I'd love to ask you about what your recollections of that, the excitement that came with that, but then also the pressure or the attention wanted or unwanted, and what your memories are of that and how you think that, how what does it have in common with you know, young people of course, including your own three daughters growing up in the social media and what is so different about it as well?
Speaker 2: The kids, well, they you know, they get a real buzz when they see themselves on the news or in a newspaper and the first thing they do is call up their nana and say, Nana, look did you see us? And so they get a real buzz out of it, you know. And I think you know when the kids at school say, oh, we saw you at the cricket or you know, the girls love that, and you know most young kids they do, they all, you know, they get a real buzz out of that. I think pressure comes from within. Pressure doesn't come when your face is in the newspaper or whatever. Pressure is something that you put on yourself. I mean, I know with myself at such a young age, I didn't start putting pressure on myself because.
Speaker 3: My photo was in the newspaper.
Speaker 2: I put pressure on myself because I worked really hard and I wanted to achieve at a high level. So, you know, pressure is sometimes a good thing. And my girls understand pressure. They play tennis five six times a week. Most of the times in tennis you lose, you know. Unfortunately, there's only if in a tournament, there's only ever going to be one winner.
Speaker 3: So tennis teaches you how to lose.
Speaker 2: It teaches you how to be resilient, how to keep turning up week after week when you may not have had had a win. So yeah, in regards to pressure, sometimes it's a good thing, but it's also something that you place upon yourself, not from anything that's on social media or in a newspaper.
Speaker 1: I'd love to ask you if you would be open to sharing a hack with people watching, reading, listening to this about this conversation. I think about resilience, and all of us want to arm our children with not letting life's disappointments derail them early on and seeing a comment that's negative, but knowing well, as you have already articulated, this is not actually about me, It's really about them. I know a lot of us as parents are struggling. We know we want to do that and them a lot well, how do we actually do that?
Speaker 2: I think the best way to teach resilience is to not wrap your kids in cotton wool, because so many times everyone wraps their kids in cotton wool or like in bubble wrap because they don't want them to get hurt. They don't want them to be disappointed. But you know what a bit of tough love. How can you teach resilience if you've never failed? How can you tell your kids to get back up when they've never fallen? You know, yes, we love our kids and we support them, but we also need to let them learn for themselves sometimes and losing or failing it doesn't mean that's the end. It means you know there's going to be growth. So I think it's all about letting your kids fall, letting your kids learn for themselves, guiding them, helping them, being there for them when they do fall, but allowing them to have that fall, allowing them to experience life and experience things for themselves, because how do you learn if you've never even tried? How do you succeed if you've never put your foot on the line, or if you've never gold or aimed for something?
Speaker 3: Because you're too scared.
Speaker 1: And that's really why I wanted to talk to you. Listening to that can is because I think a lot of this is not the prevailing approach to parenting. The most unkind label. A lot of us deal with this, oh, you know, the cotton wall generation, and we're all shielding our children from any sort of disappointment or failure. But there is also there is truth to that is and to hear a you that is saying let them fail, yes, is I think something that a lot of parents are starting to become more open to. That's my observation. I don't know if you would agree with that, and I think having someone of your profiles speaking out about it, whether it is about your approach to social media or just sport and life in general, is something people want to hear. But it's, as I say, it's not the conventional snoring of.
Speaker 2: The tennis and it's not easy sometimes to let go as a parent. But kids are They're born resilient. Kids are resilient. People are resilient. They just don't know that they are because they're never sometimes we don't allow them to be. And sport teaches us so much, and it's taught Dave and I how to be tough, how to be strong, how to get back up. But I see it, like I said, when I use tennis as an example, because my kids, you, my kids play it. They lose more than they win, but yet they still turn up to training. They still have that drive, that determination, you know, in a tournament, there can only be one winner. Ever, like you go to the but does that mean that you're a failure because you that you tried and that you push yourself. No, you know, and then you keep going back and you keep going back. So life is that you know, you're not going to go through life or rosie. There's always going to be setbacks. And if we don't let allow our kids to experience that now, how are they going to know how to deal with setbacks when they're out of school, when they're adults themselves. We need to prepare our kids now so that when they're older, they are going to know how to deal with any situation that's put in front of them.
Speaker 1: Let me throw forward a bit to the girls getting a little bit older then I was asking you earlier, given their parents, whether there might be a sporting career in their future. The guest on the podcast last week was Tanya Hennessy, who is a content creator, and she and I discussed quite a bit about how that was something that was called an influencer. And there are influencers, which is a very specific sort of part of the Internet, but then people that are creating content in the way that so many people are, whether it's film or a book, or a piece of art or a podcast, and then it's being shared and amplified across online platforms. And she also then has monetized that and that is part of her business model. It's more complicated and nuanced role than an influencer with your daughters. Do you think this Instagram account could then potentially also pave the way for a career that sort of exists now, but also, let's be honest, when they're eighteen and in they're in their twenties, could be a whole career that neither of us can even forecast to now.
Speaker 2: Possibly who knows. I know, through the girl's Instagram account, they were approached by KO to do some work with the Summer of Cricket and they've done that two years in a row and they've absolutely loved being, you know, behind the microphone and interviewing people. And so if it leads to the girls being more confident in front of the camera, if it leads to them being more confident so that when they are at school and they have to do a performance or a speech or present something, then I think that's you know, I think that's absolutely fabulous, but who knows where it's going to lead them. At the moment, it's fun. They're not influencers, they're not anything. They're just young girls living their life having fun, you know, being sporty, and I just capture it and I put it on a page.
Speaker 1: Off the record. I know that you and Dave have been very clear that if or when one of the girls decides that they don't want to be involved in the account anymore, that you will obviously just stop her.
Speaker 2: Well that's right, And at some stage they might go, you know, we don't want to be on here. That's fine, Like it's not something that they have to do.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: But the girls love it at the moment. At the moment, they all love the same thing. But they will get to a stage where they'll hit high school and you know, they won't want to be the cute three little sisters anymore. They will eventually probably want to go off and do their own thing, and that's fine. But at the moment, it's where they're having fun. We're having fun and we're you know, just doing things our way.
Speaker 1: Quick change of pace before we wrap up, we won't ask you about a couple of milestones here for you. Are you and Dave celebrating your tenth wedding anniversary this year. Congratulations very much. I mean, obviously you have had a busy ten years, three beautiful girls, lots of lots happened. Yes, I'd love to ask you a little bit about you reflecting on the time that you spent together and everything that you've been through and also what you've been through publicly as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny when you hit these milestones, it do reflect on, you know, the past and the whole time you've been together. And I'm just incredibly proud of where we're at in life, where our kids are at, and you know, just the parents that we've become. Our relationship is very, very strong, but it always has been, and I think certain situations that we've overcome together just has made us even stronger. But I think, you know, we look at our kids and we see them as our biggest achievements. And yeah, so we just you know, for our anniversary, we didn't do much. We had dinner with the girls and you know, that was about it. But yeah, we're really proud of how far we've come and that we just didn't give up along the way.
Speaker 1: When you were mentioning earlier that Davis still travel a lot for work because you have had to juggle that a lot with the nature of the career. And so how are you finding that. Is there ever a point where you think, okay, okay, things are going to calm down now. To use the elusive phrase that we always joke about Zoe Foster Blake book about It, these will come down soon spoiler alerate, they're not going to.
Speaker 3: Yes, no as soon as it's.
Speaker 2: The funny thing with Dave's cricket, there seems to be so many T twenty tournaments around the world, But I don't know whether he's going away for cricket or for golf, because I always think he's playing way more golf than his cricket. But when he's home, you know, asking me if you can go play golf. You know, he's a little bit scared. But when he's away, he can play as much golf as he wants, So, you know, I think there's something in all these different T twenty tours. I think it's just men wanting to play more golf away from home.
Speaker 1: It was funny because I don't know, if you know, Roger Corsa and his wife Renee. But he was on the podcast early this year and was talking about how he's to travel so much for work and just the nature of his job. He was away a lot, and I was saying, you know, it must be lovely now you're home a little bit more, and he said, I think Renee was like, go ahead and get a job. So in some ways, it's always the tussle, isn't it. If they're there, that's great. And yes, sometimes when they're back it's like, oh.
Speaker 2: God, well, we've the girls and I have learned how to navigate life with David.
Speaker 3: In another country.
Speaker 2: So for us, we have our routines in place, and you know, it all works out beautifully. When David comes home, it's it's a little bit different because you know, Daddy wants to do things and you know he's but it's also really hard for David when he comes back into our routine because he doesn't know where he fits either. So you know, it's a little bit of adjusting for the first few days and week and it can be a little bit difficult, but then we get back to a new normal and then when David goes away again, we go back to the old routine. So it's just about, you know, reshuffling things, and yeah, it can be interesting sometimes.
Speaker 1: I think when we last spoke, I might have asked a bit about a predictable question. But obviously with Dave living with three daughters and he's obviously outnumbered on to go back to the sort of gender aspect, and I was saying, you know, I'm a mum of two boys often get asked about that. Are you really outnumbered there? So how is that dynamic playing out for him as well? When he comes home? There's obviously, as you talked about earlier, they're very complicated young women. As the best humans are in this world. They love their sport and it's not like it's the pink pressy sort of little thing happening. But still got to ask about it.
Speaker 2: David loves it because when he's home, he's the girl's hitting partner at tennis, so he loves the fact that he can sort of have a hit of tennis with the girls. Or Ivy will say, Dad, can you take me down to the cricket nets. I'm the one who has to take them surfing, so in the middle of winter, I'm the one putting the wet suit on. So but yeah, he wouldn't have it any other way. Honestly, the girls, they keep him very, very busy. He loves to dance. He's a fabulous girl dad. You know, you talk about girl dads, but he is fabulous. He dances with them, he sings with them, you know, anything that that. It's almost like anything that the girls ask him, He's like, yes, yes, yes, and he's got all this energy. Whereas you know, I'm a little bit exhausted and worn out for the time he comes home. So yeah, he's he's really happy.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a nice balance. I was going to ask to you have your version of golf? Have you got something like a little hobby or pastime?
Speaker 3: I was only thinking.
Speaker 2: On the way here, when I was at school many years ago, I played the drums, and I was only thinking, on the way here, how much I'd love to just get back into doing you know, some drum lessons, and so I thinking maybe I'll pick up the drums again.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be fantastic. Yeah, you could start a band or someth Oh, I don't know, we might have a drum kit on your next came. Well, my final question then, actually, probably leads into you turn forty this year. That's the second milestone. Happy, Happy birthday again, a bit like a wedding anniversary can be a moment that prompts a little bit of reflection. Yes, I don't know, didn't get a drum kit that fortieth birthday? What were your observations? Particularly obviously everyone has lived a life by the time they get to a thirty or a fortieth or a fiftieth birthday, and of course beyond. But for you, where as we've already touched upon, so much happened because you're working so young, and you were so driven from a young age, and then you had the best and the worst of experiences in the spotlight for you coming into a fortieth Yes, how are you feeling about things?
Speaker 3: I feel good? You know.
Speaker 2: In the lead up, I was again a bit reflective and thinking where am I at now with my life and what do I want to achieve? Because I've always been you know, what do I want to achieve?
Speaker 3: What do I want to do?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm feeling like at some stage am I just mum at the moment? But then I sat back and I realized that, you know, I'm very happy just being mum now, because mum for me means seeing my kids achieve, being there and driving them to all their sports, making sure they get enough rest, you know, making sure that you know, it's it's my kids turns now. And I'm really happy to be their biggest cheerleader, be their you know, biggest supporter, and do anything that I can to help them achieve, whether it be at school, whether it be at sport, or being the best person that they can possibly be. For me, that is the biggest job that I could possibly do now. And you know, and if I feel like I'm doing good job at that, then you know I've achieved something pretty special.
Speaker 1: Well, a little birdie told us, as in your manager Sarah actually hope she doesn't mind me mentioning her, actually told us that you are the most hands on mum she's ever seen. And she said obviously all of the celebrities that she's worked with, there's no nannies. And again there's no like judgment here involved to any working women listening, working moms, including myself. But it is clearly what drives you and what gives you the most fulfillment.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I get that from my own parents. My parents were worked really hard, you know, really working class parents, but they were always there. They were always waking up early, making the lunches the night before, doing everything that. You know, so many parents out there do you know, I'm no different to anyone else, but I want to be there and help them in their success in life, you know, whether it be you know, doing all their homework with them, you know, sitting down reading with them, taking them to sport, picking them up whatever it is that they you in life. I want to help them succeed and be there and feel like that we've made it as a team because we are. We're a team, and that's the way I like to see it. And if one of my girls achieves and the other ones, you know, achieve somewhere else.
Speaker 3: We all together we succeed.
Speaker 1: Well, that is a nice note to leave our conversation on. Although maybe when you get that drum kit cove out of it, are going to like it too much that they may have some say a soundproof studio, a drum kit, and some built in time. You know, when Dave goes to do golf, you like, fine, but I've got drum lessons tomorrow for the same time. Canice one has been really really interesting and wonderful to talk to you. A lot of I think really thought provoking thoughts there about social media and parenting.
Speaker 2: And it's not easy. It really isn't and you know, we're all as parents going through this together and there's no really right or wrong answer. It's just we all want the best for our kids.
Speaker 1: Very true. Well, thank you again, Candace, and we will have some details in the show notes where you can find out a bit more about Candice Warner and the Warner Sisters Instagram account. Thanks again, and you can find out more about the Warner Sisters on Instagram via the link in our show notes. You can also watch this interview on YouTube. You'll find a link in our show notes to that as well. Thank you for your company today. If you've enjoyed this episode, let us know by leaving a review or sending it to a friend, and make sure you're following something to talk about because we'll be back with another episode next week.