Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm in the studio with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast, books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and more. Hello, Canna, how are you? I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're excited.
Speaker 1: And you look excited too, because we.
Speaker 2: Have very intuit of you to pick that up.
Speaker 1: We have some exciting news.
Speaker 2: Very exciting news.
Speaker 1: Shold we start with our exciting news?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's share it.
Speaker 1: Okay. We have written a book.
Speaker 2: It's really good, it's really helpful, and it's really practical exactly.
Speaker 1: It is called twelve Months to Financial Freedom and it is basically about taking control of your money one month at a time.
Speaker 2: We share with you everything you need to know and understand, but more importantly do to get started. And it's actually a bit of a good laugh along the way.
Speaker 1: I like to think so kind of like this podcast, right, it's usually just you and me kind of making fun of each But the book is coming out on September one. You'll be able to see it in bookshops and pick up a copy all over the place from September one, but you can pre order it from now.
Speaker 2: And we really think you should invest in this book right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, we don't do investment advice, but we can certainly do.
Speaker 2: Call this investment advice. You will not regret this, and.
Speaker 1: So we'll put a link in the show notes. The book is called twelve Months to Financial Freedom. It is coming out from Alan and Unwen and September one is the day, but it is available for pre order from now. And look, pre orders really really matter. They are very very important for a publisher and for us. So if you are thinking about getting on board with us with this book, just do it. I like that you might have pinched that from Nike. I suspect, but we'll make a work anyway. On with the show. Today's episode, Canna is about something that kind of creeps up on a lot of people where you start with good intentions. You've got kind of a plan for bardgeting and saving and investing and all of that, and before you know it, you've got too many accounts, you've got too many apps, you've got too many systems in place. So today are we making money to complicate it?
Speaker 2: Yes, we just go straight to it. Yes, I see this all the time. And this then naturally leads to overwhelm, complete inconsistency, throwing the towel and giving up entirely, and losing a complete sense of clarity and direction, and a complete inability to actually see what progress you actually did make from getting started in the first place, and a complete lack and loss of motivation. It's the biggest block for so many people when it comes to fixing their money getting better with their money.
Speaker 1: Really, so why does it happen in the first place? Is it? Like I suggested at the start, that it is basically an attempt to optimize everything and try and take advantage of everything that's out there, and it's just overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It's trying to do everything at the same time and too many things at the same time. So, for example, trying to fix your budget and cash flow, try to optimize your super try to kick start your share portfolio and your online trading account, but also at the same time trying to say, for a deposit and get out of that old pesky credit card dead or buy now, pay later. You know, you've got so many different things going on and there is no ability to just focus. There is unrealistic expectations with the timeframe that you've got, and so the results are flaky and you feel really disencouraged. And we're forgetting that. Our brains really are wired to create something that is really simple and clear to follow. So when we've now made a rod for our own back by creating something far too complex, we avoid it and nothing actually ever happens.
Speaker 1: What's the point which it gets overwhelming? Is there a trigger? Is there a point where kind of more accounts and more systems and things, I actually start working against studios? And I'm asking this knowing that I have experienced this and we've talked about this in the past, where by in an attempt to implement what look, honestly, it worked so well to begin with. It was a budgeting system where I had a whole stack of different accounts and it was based on quarantining your money. How you're justifying it, well, it did work for a little.
Speaker 2: While until I showed you the light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But in the end, there was. I think at its peak there was twenty six different bank accounts across four different banks, and it was so inefficient. Well yeah, I know, but at its heart it was a budgeting system that was I thought was going to work for me because it was moving like small amounts of money into these accounts every month or whenever I was being paid, so that all of a sudden that every single expense, all of the different issues, Lawrence's the car redgo all of these things were all being saved for.
Speaker 2: You had the right intention, Okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: It got overwhelming. Yes, it was too much to manage, and all of a sudden, one little thing would bring it all undone that there was something I hadn't budgeted for, and so you had to take money from one account to pay for that, which meant then that you had to take money from the next account to top that one back up. And it was just a complete and utter disaster. That was the point at which it all fell over, where I realized I've over complicated this. I'm assuming the threshold for over complicated is actually far below where I hit.
Speaker 2: Look like, my hat goes off to you for the perseverance in sticking to a very overwhelming complicated system that you build for yourself.
Speaker 1: But thank you.
Speaker 2: I what I would remind people do is come back to the simple philosophy of keep it simple. Stupid no, have simple systems in place, because when you have a simple system in place, it is easy to stick to over the long run, and you can not get started. You can stay on that path and start to actually see the results that you're looking for. You will have that sense of faith and confidence to actually see what's working and what's not and where you can tweak and change. So you know, we are making things so much harder than we actually really need. And money, really the end of the day, is just energy. It is not rocket science. It is really subtraction and addition. So as long as you can add up and subtract, that's the most complicated element of managing your money and your cash flow. So we do not need you know, multiple different apps logging in and out of screens. And that's where and this is what I flagged with you when we had had this conversation initially, you know, a couple of years ago. Is this is where the ball gets dropped very easily. You miss second account. You know, you don't have you can't keep track of it. A bill then gets paid laid, it can damage your credit rating or you know, or default. It's you want to have it so you can all eyes on. It's very clear, it's very simple and easy to follow.
Speaker 1: Those are the main impacts, right. The potential impact of complexity is that things conspiral, they can just get out of control. It is avoidance you start to don't you don't want to pay any attention to you your money because it's become too complicated for you. But you can also miss opportunities right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and as I said, do damage and also not feel good about yourself. You don't. You know, we've got so many stresses and pressures on right now. The last thing you want to do is add something to our shoulders that we don't necessarily need to do because we always need to do. Is just strip it right back to the basics.
Speaker 1: Okay, if someone is listening to this right now and going, they might be describing me and my circumstances. What are the signs that someone's financial setup is too complex? I mean, there's obviously the big kind of the big redcounts flag of two dozen or more accounts.
Speaker 2: Look, there are lots of different signs, so too many apps, too many online share trading accounts. In particular, I see this with people who have, like, you know, three or four different micro investing accounts, too many budgeting systems, too many goals as well as another big one too.
Speaker 1: Before you go past that one, that's a really interesting one where you actually have too many financial goals because you think that that kind of the more goals the better, because it's all very positive, But you can actually dilute your focus exactly.
Speaker 2: You're spreading yourself far too thinly, and the results, you know, will demonstrate that and be reflected straight back to you. And you know, what I often coach people around their financial goals is to try and actually be really clever with their goals and make them goals that are quite concise and consolidated in a you know, sort of quite an artful way. But yes, if you have too many things going and there there isn't an order of priorities where you go, look, I want to have all these goals, and that's fine. I would never take that away from someone, but I'll say, look, why don't we just focus on the top three first and the decks there and get those out of the way and then move on to the next ones, rather than having this frantic scattergun approach where there isn't actually any meaningful impact or improvement in your finances.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're looking at too many apps, too many accounts, too many share trading accounts.
Speaker 2: Even too many superinnuation accounts as well.
Speaker 1: That's a good point because I kind of feel like the consolidation campaign has been going for so long now that there's been so many, so many efforts by everyone really to tell people to look for your superannuation. You might have had an account started for you when you were eighteen, working kind of in a supermarket as a part time job, and now you're kind of forty and you're doing something else altogether, that superannuation account might still be sitting there. It feels like everyone knows now to go and check for lost super and to investigate whether it can solidating into one is right for you. But not everyone's done.
Speaker 2: It, I know, because they feel overwhelmed because they don't know how to necessarily or they think they've build it up into their head to be so much more complicated than what it really is, and literally you can jump online. You know, there's there's various government websites to help you do this very quickly by using your tax file number. And you know, to add to that other you know, I guess negative impact of having things over complicated is you're wasting money. Yeah, you know, you're wasting money on fees of those superannuation accounts. They're not you know, also the opportunity, like for having that money properly invested, because your money, your superannuation money, is an investment portfolio.
Speaker 1: All right, we are going to take a quick break on the other side. I want you to tell us what we actually need, the things that we can ignore, so that if you're listening and you go, okay, I've got this and this and this, what can I let go of? What do I need to keep in order to have a more simple, clean, efficient financial system Back in a moment Canada today, we are talking about over complicating money. And I suspect most of us will have done this at some point where you've got too many accounts, too many apps, too many systems, a budget that just is too complicated, too tricky, requiring a spreadsheet every time you need to update something. What are the core elements that we actually need. That if you're trying to simplify your finances, at the heart of it, what do you need and what can you just ignore all together? Doing very big, kind of flourishing, sweeping hand jess is just to say, get out of here. We don't need you anymore.
Speaker 2: So what I recommend you do is strip everything right back to the basics, but just try and think short term. When we start getting you know, thinking about well, what about how am I going to pay for this for the kids, or how am I going to you know, be able to help my family out with this, that you just think too long term, I think that's when we can also start to panic and get overwhelmed and you know, lose a sense of focus. So I would actually recommend you really just think about the short term stuff, So thinking about what you can do today, what you can do next week, and next month, and maybe even just think about the next three months. Then come back to just some simple goals as to where you feel most overwhelmed and what needs to be fixed as an immediate priority that's actually going to help you feel better. Now for most people, that's normally around the goal of Goby getting rid of some debt and sorting out their budget and cash flow systems. So sitting down and actually doing the work. They're looking at your transactions. We're not looking at completely fixing our finances for the rest of the year. We're actually just learning about how to actually fix our finances, perhaps for the short term, to get us through the next couple of weeks or the next couple of months. That is perfectly fine because you are getting started, and you can get so much clarity from just focusing on the short term stuff that then allows you to start to see more into the medium term and even long term as to how you need to tweak and change to manage your budget to obviously stay afloat, also strip it back and consult it. You've got to be very careful with consolidation. I don't want to just rush out everyone rushing out and consolidating everything, because there are consequences, Like with superannuation. You know there are expenses, there are fees. You might trigger capital gains tax or even crystallize losses. But start to get some clarity about what you actually want want your financial system, your financial machine to look like, so that you can actually understand where your money is, but also you're building the system behind it to actually be able to check in and on a regular basis. And that's where you know, I say, like, you don't need three different superannuation accounts. You really just need one so you can focus all your energy on that. So that's where you would go and get advice obviously from a financial planner and look at getting some strategic advice around the best way to consolidate it. But also which is going to be your main superannuation account, which of the three is the best one for you, that's most cost effective, that suits your needs, and you know your investing risk profile as well, and then don't have too many accounts. You want to be able to manage this on an ongoing basis. Yes, you know you should be able to, Like by gold rules, you've got to be able to look at it all within one screen. The moment you are logging in and out, that's where I get worried because that's where things get missed. Now, there are certain apps which we've spoken about before, that actually allow you to put it all on one screen. They sort of pull all the information from your bank accounts so you don't have to necessarily change banks. You can keep the different institutions, but you can see it on the one screen. That also can be very helpful because it obviously keeps a sense of clarity and then allows you to remain focused. But you've really got to have this this like cleanliness and this almost detox of the stuff that is distracting and getting in your way from progressing forward. And it does involve sort of sitting down and being honest with yourself and going where do I feel the biggest block in and what is actually going to make me feel so much better? You know? Is what do if I be in procrastinating for far too long? And the thing is, you know, this is the long DOPA main hit. When we finally do it, you actually feel really good about yourself and you do feel inspired to actually work on another area that you've been putting off, and you take greater care and pride in managing it going forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I was to summarize these, so we're looking at simple goals, A smaller number of simple short term achievable goals, A perhaps a more simple budget that looks directly at what you are actually spending rather than hypotheticals. Yes, one ideally super account, but get some advice from a financial planner on consolidating your accounts a smaller number of bank accounts, preferably just with one financial institution.
Speaker 2: Yes, and nicknamed as well, I should mention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so one might be the main account that your pay comes into, and then one for your longer term. I think we should do another reps on how to structure your bank accounts. It's going to make a quick note as we're talking. And so then you've got a small number of bank accounts attached to one bank and all of a sudden, and one share trading account potentially.
Speaker 2: One micro investing or not both one online share trading.
Speaker 1: Okay, And all of a sudden, you have got you removed the duplication.
Speaker 2: You've removed the noise, the distractions, the overwhelm. You know, we've brought it down to that principle of keep it simple stupid.
Speaker 1: Does it still feel like you have control? Though? This is the thing that I worry even more.
Speaker 2: So because you can actually see what's going on, You feel far more empowered. You have a great understanding of what you're actually achieving. You can actually finally see the progress because you're not adding up, looking at your savings, going on, barely making any progress. And it's because you've got twenty six different savings account. You've got it in one savings account. And you go, well, I went from being eighteen thousand dollars in savings, I've now got twenty three thousand dollars in savings. How does that make you feel pretty good? I want to keep this feeling. I'm getting a dopamine hit from it. I want to keep going and watch this build up. I will be more engaged. And because it's simpler now, you're going to stick to it in the long run. And you know, budgeting I always say, I'm going to sound like I'm contradicting myself a little bit here in this episode, but you know, budgeting does need to take consideration, you know, the next three hundred and sixty five days of your year. But this is how you get started. If you are stuck, you've got a block. You know, you are completely paralyzed by knowing what to do next or how to actually fix the overwhelm and the sheer volume of noise and fear and anxiety that just tends to build and grow with the more we procrastinate.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you've now got a more simple setup, simple bank account, simple superannuation, how often then should you be reviewing and restructuring if needed the setup, which I imagine is going to be easier to do when you don't have four thousand different accounts to be checking.
Speaker 2: So obviously, the moment your situation changes, you know, you get a new job, or you're moving, or you know, your like lifestyles change, you're perhaps partner, or you're having a baby, something like.
Speaker 1: That expense kind of exactly.
Speaker 2: But also the moment you feel like you might be maybe playing it low and you think, you know what, I actually probably could save a little bit more, or I can actually play off a bit more depth fast, or you know what, actually I'm feeling really motivated, or I'm curious even to look into investing. Capitalize on those moments, you know, because if you don't, they will pass and they don't necessarily come back as often or as quickly when we don't jump on those.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are nearly out of time, got about a minute left. Is there anything else that we can be doing to add a touch of minimalism to our money here? So I know that you are a big fan of minimalism, and it is, of course may minimalism.
Speaker 2: May.
Speaker 1: This is a little bit of a minimalism sneak attack that we've launched with this particular episode. Perhaps the idea of a digital de clutter.
Speaker 2: Oh I love a good declutter. Look. Obviously, going through your phone is the first place to do this. Going through your desktop computer, or your laptop even any sort of you've got piles of notebooks everywhere, consolidate everything back to one. But you know they're the practical side. But what I like is a good test to see whether you are guilty of this, you know, over complicating things, making a rod for your own back. And that is this thing that I teach in my mentorship program, and it's an elevator pitch. If I was to get into the elevator with you, you should be able to tell me your ballpark, big picture financial strategy whilst getting in from the ground level, say going to level ten. Want to hear that. If you can't actually articulate and explain it back to me in a very simple, easy concise way, you have most likely over complicated. You know, your financial strategy and game plan.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at you with a sense of panic.
Speaker 2: I can see the panic in your eye. You can actually technically smell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but this is I've.
Speaker 2: Been a financial plan for far too long.
Speaker 1: I think you can sense these things. I don't know whether I could do that.
Speaker 2: We have some we're going to have to just don't have another chat.
Speaker 1: How long have we been doing this podcast for years now?
Speaker 2: Such an insult?
Speaker 1: So no, it's it's I'm I'm you are helping me along. That is my next goal.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest things in being financial planner and working with so many amazing, beautiful people and families is getting to simplify everything for them and just seeing their weight come off their shoulders and in seeing it in their eyes and smelling and if you like like just that are hard going Oh wow, okay, I get it. This is actually not as hard as I thought it was. Or why do I make it so much more complicated than it really needed to be.
Speaker 1: It's the financial pheromones. That's what just said. That's what you're sensing. Oh, it's a weird place to finish it. But where can we find you if we need more information?
Speaker 2: If you want to give me your elevator pitch and I can check and run that test for you. Please feel free to reach out to me on Instagram at sugar Moment tv.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news that you can use, which is a financial Pheromone free zone. I've got to declare that right now. Thank you for listening to How Today Afford that. Remember to hit follow on the podcast, and the very best thing that you can do is tell somebody else about the podcast. Send them a link to this episode. If you have personally witnessed that they have dozens of bank accounts and deal with a good bit of simplifying of their financial setup. Thank you for your company. Join us in next week. Mm hmm