Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, July twenty seven, twenty twenty six. Unions will push for the newly announced Fair Work Court to handle a sweeping array of workplace issues, including dismissal disputes. A bright young man gets a big new job in media and it triggers an epic pylon. Plus another bright young man gets rejected by his own would be co host for his own big new job in media. It's Monday, and Steve Jackson's here to discuss his media diary and all the big yarns in news and entertainment. Jacko's here in just a moment. Steve Jackson edits The Australian's media diary and I've dragged him in here basically because I want to give you a.
Speaker 2: Lecture Jacko about time.
Speaker 1: He's not the U said anything, but I've got some I've got feelings about the controversy surrounding Mma.
Speaker 3: Miya out louder, Hello and welcome to Mama Maya Out Loud.
Speaker 2: It's what we've are actually talking about on Friday.
Speaker 1: Mia Friedman, the founder of Mama Maya, along with her husband Jason Levine, have announced that the new CEO of the organization is going to be their son, Luca Levine, who's been working in a senior role at the organization for a while. And this is kicked off some very annoying, to my view, chatter on particularly on social media, from people who think that they shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 2: I'm really happy for this to be a listening portion of the show for me, and just learned from mine. I see something like this and I have seen it kicking off. Everyone's talking about it, young guy who's now controlling a female voice website. For mine, it's like passing down the family fish and chip shop to your son or your daughter. I don't have an issue with it. I think the gender wars are a bit reductive, but I am a man and I'm prepared to go. We had out time. I'm here to listen. What are you thinking?
Speaker 1: You're a listening to her? Well, I think I agree with you. I think that it is absolutely Maya and Jason's right to hand this company to whomever they think he's going to be best for it. And if that happens to be their son, well, there are plenty of family businesses around. As you say, he has been working in a senior role. He has been there right at the top, well very close to the top, while they have been absolutely flying. Mama Maya has diversified into a subscription and ad revenue business, so they've diversified their sources of revenue and their podcast at the top of the charts. Maya Friedman in the meantime, has stepped away from some of her hosting roles and from her kind of operations roles and now just wants to be a content person. She just wants to be on the podcast kind of talking and doing some writing as well.
Speaker 2: Seems fair enough after all those years to go all right, I'm ready just to do the fun side of the business. Right.
Speaker 1: They pitch themselves as Australians or maybe the world's number one women's media network, and that means that they've got an audience who thinks that they get to have a say and who runs the show, which I think is absolutely outrageous. Like, if you like this content, you should be aware that it has been run by a man for most of its existence. Jason Levine was the CEO for the first seventeen years well and now it's an outrage that they're handing it to a man. It's really sexist, it's outrageous.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things people have got to remember, in my view, if I've allowed to say it, is it's Mama Mia. That pun is. Her name's Mia. The mama part comes from Luca, like he's what made Mia the mama. So he's sort of like integral to the thing. His whole existence is town up in this. But also, Claire, tell me, do you think is it the fact it's handed over to a next generation of that family or is it because of his gender. If it was MIA's daughter taking it on, would there be outrage.
Speaker 1: Probably not, It would be more like you go, girl, you know how exciting. But there certainly has been a thread that he's nepo baby and that he can't possibly have earned this job. I don't know Luke Levine at all. I've only met me a few times, and I have absolutely no skin in this game. And it is sensitive when you are the child of someone who works in the same industry. But we see that in many industries. There are families of lawyers, there are families, as you say, fish and ship owners, families of plumbers. I come from a media family.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, I've met your father when I was at Channel nine, quite a prominent media family.
Speaker 1: Dad was a TV journalist. His uncles were all sports journalists. Dad's grandfather was a sports journalist, and so was his great grandfather, and so there's a long line of journals. But I went into newspapers when I was seventeen because I didn't want anyone to think that I was trying to get a free ride off Dad's reputation. So I didn't go anywhere near TV. I came and got a job at The Australian and I worked for free for months and months before they started paying me. I'll put in that expense claim something some time later, but I'm very grateful that I got to have a career in newspapers.
Speaker 2: It's easy to forget where Mum and Mia started. I remember fifteen years ago it was basically blog right, it was mea freedman's thoughts. I remember in magazines people like, ah mea freeman, she's a blog. She's not going to take over the magazines? What she It's now the behemoth the magazines are on the way. But she worked hard, her whole life for this. The great backer and supporter of women's magazines in this country at their peak when they were powerful, and we're talking ASTRAYM, Women's Weekly and Women's Day. We know it was the late Kerry Packett. He really believed in those products. He gave him heaps of money. But just because a guy's in charge of some element of the business doesn't mean that it's not a driven for women by women. Right.
Speaker 1: There was another controversy when Lee Sales of the ABC and the very successful women focus podcast Chat ten looks three shut down a conversation about this in the chat ten looks three Facebook group. Lee Sales in two instances stopped discussions happening in that group about you know, basically bagging me of Friedman for this decision to appoint her son to be CEO. And Lee said in the group, you know she's friend, We're not going to have this discussion, which again I think is totally fair enough. What gives women this sense of entitlement that they're allowed to just bag another woman who's made a decision for me. It's like when the Old Boys Club say that women are not allowed to run football clubs, because what would they know.
Speaker 2: You know, all women are right in all circumstances at all times clever, but particularly Lee's sales in this circumstance. What I really liked about what Lee did there is this is a vituperative industry where everyone and we all know when we go to the pub, if you don't get the yarn, and you love bagging the person who did get the yard.
Speaker 1: I knew about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that one, but the editor didn't want it. But what I love is that she just said here on MySpace, we're not going to be bagging there, Freeman. She's a friend. I've known Lucas since he was a kid. I just I love seeing when people stand up for other people in this industry because it is one of those ones that we're quick to rip people down when there's a mistake, and I think, you know, it's only when stuff like this happens where you see your friends say, hey, no, I'm not I'm not going to stand up with that. I really liked how she did that.
Speaker 1: One thing I wonder about the announcement of disappointment for the Mama Mayor organization is did they mishandle the publicity for it? Mayor Fredman is an expert in doing these get Ready with Me videos where she does in makeup while talking about something serious. And you know, when you're going to the hairdresser, it feels like there's not much point in doing your hair, like drying your hair and stuff. So you know, should they have had Luca kind of doing his hair and flossing his tea announcing why he was the right person to run the business again, it's a cea.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean for me, I love writing about the CEOs. We heard Matt Stanton referring to media watches media week last week, and I love that. It's hilarious. But I know, even when I'm writing my column, people want to read about the people in front of the camera or the people writing. It's a c oh, Mama Maya. I didn't even know who was doing it before. I know CEO is now if you asked me a month ago, who's the see of Mum and me doesn't have one.
Speaker 1: This is the thing. When you create a beloved brand, I think you also create an audience who feels quite entitled to have an opinion. And you can see why most CEOs want to stay in the background. You're talking about Matt Stanton, the boss of nine Entertainment, at an Andrew Oli media lecture sort of symposium moderated by Hamish McDonald from the ABC and also featuring our boss, Michael Miller and some other media bosses, including Hu Marks from the ABC.
Speaker 2: Jane Pofferman from the SBS.
Speaker 4: We're capitalizing on having some of the brightest minds. They wrote this script on sorry in media in the room under one roof tonight to tackle.
Speaker 1: This critical It's always pretty edgy when you hand microphones to people who are normally not on camera, you know, and Matt Stanton was very relaxed. He's leaning back, you know, he's got his kind of linas and going on.
Speaker 2: Leaning back the word I've heard and apologist to mattith he's listening, but slouching.
Speaker 5: Years smh's one hundred and ninety five years right old. That's continued to evolve, whether it's through TV coming out it radio, coming out of Internet, coming out of AI coming, it will continue to evolve. We have to change our models, so we've got no issue with that.
Speaker 2: I think for at times during that lecture it felt like should have directed questions about Channel ninety Hugh Marx, because it's like, hu, Max, can you tell me what's happening at Matt's company? Because Hugh, having been the former nine CEO, obviously still across his brief at the ABC, but he also seemed to know a lot about how things should be going on at nine as well.
Speaker 1: He kind of had to jump in and save Matt when Hamish said to Matt, Karl Stefanovic said he was not free before?
Speaker 4: Was he not free to report at Night nine?
Speaker 5: Has some the standards that we have within that Today show area, and is a certain standards we have. Kyl had decided and we'd already agreed some time ago that and was leaving us. So it was was moving on and.
Speaker 2: I'll let mister Marks you want to feel that one.
Speaker 1: And you jumped in and said, well, he was not free because he was being held to some broadcast standards and now no standards apply with.
Speaker 5: His career, and we're absolutely fine with that as well.
Speaker 3: But to your but to your point, the only thing that Carl wasn't free was he had to comply with broadcast standards. Well, that's the whole point I guess that underpins this, this whole purpose and this public good is it's a public good that is defined in every case by standards.
Speaker 4: So what's the difference between what Kyl does and those standards.
Speaker 3: Well, now Carl obviously is saying he's free of standards and and and so if that's what we want, If that's what.
Speaker 2: We want, He's made quite a few funny one liner is through that. I thought he was quite good.
Speaker 1: Coming up auditioning Today Show host sam Armitage is flexing her muscle. That's after the break. What's happening this week on Today.
Speaker 2: Well, Samantha Armitage is coming in. She's replacing Sylvia Jeffries. Mike Willisy Junior, another person who started his career at The Australian, not wanting to follow his dad into television, came to the OZS and started his career here. He's getting a second week. The interesting thing is he wasn't going to get a second week, Claire. Up until Wednesday night, it was going to be Joel Dry out of Brisbane was going to be flown down. And not only was he going to be flown down for a trial. He was confident he had the job in the bag. How confident you ask? How confident? Sorry, he was so confident. He was so confident he was telling everyone in Brisbane, Hey, I've even decided I'll do the job for half a million dollars. I'll do it cut price, just to get my foot in the door. And he's telling everybody he's going to be the cut price car. Unfortunately for him, my information is Samantha Armitage has gone I don't want cut price car. Well, he can stay in Brisbane and they've got who do you want? And she I don't know, but not the dude that's not even back in himself, the guy that reckons he's worth twenty five percent of Carl. I don't want to hear him like I want someone who thinks they're just as good. So Mike Willison is getting a look what I will call a stay of execution because he's there. He obviously has nothing better to do this week than hang on.
Speaker 1: And host a very high rating TV show that makes a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, and that's it. As much as we can laugh. This is a show that, with its sister programs Today Extra and Weekend Today, it's worth one hundred million dollars. So getting the chemistry right very important, as you know from that Oli lecture during the week. Matt Stanton does admit Nine knew all year that Karl was leaving. Gets to July. We're talking about one hundred million dollar vehicle. Who have we got lined up? No one? And you know what, at the start of this year I wrote in media diary that they will wargaming replacements for Carl, and Nine called me and said, you know we're not. We're not. I go, no, come on, it's one hundred million dollar franchise. Of course you're wargaming. I don't believe it, and they get no, no, seriously, there's no war gaming going on. I apologize, no plan. I apologize until last week I called up and said, hey, look, you know when you said you didn't have any plan, I'm sorry. You're right, you weren't doing anything. Oh wow, beggars belief. Thanks Jacket, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Steve Jackson. And it's The Australian's Media Diary. You can read it right now at the Australian dot com dot au