Speaker 1: Hello, buddy, It's Monty. We're their friend Brook. We've titled the podcast and it is drum.
Speaker 2: Roll fully sick, Pully.
Speaker 1: Sick MATEU sick mate, because we want this pod to be fun, but also, you know, chat about the fact that we are fully sick, and so we've decided we're going to call it that. Anyway, Thank you for listening, and thank you for listening to the last episode as well. We're just yes blown away.
Speaker 2: And thank you for all your listener questions too. We've got loads that we're excited to get through.
Speaker 1: Yet, loads and loads. Anyway, before we get into fully sick stuff, I saw earlier on in the week that guy Nelson who used to work on Sunrise.
Speaker 2: Remember, oh, the entertainment reporter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for like literally twenty years or something, he's been the entertainment reporter and he's done a podcast with somebody else about the worst interviews that they've ever done.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, do you see.
Speaker 1: I love that kind of stuff. Anyway, So they were talking about Blake Lively and he was saying how he had a good one with her and then a terrible one with her, and how Ryan Reynolds overtime went from really goofy and awesome to more serious. I spoke about Robert Demiro was his main one. How they said to him, he won't look you in the eye.
Speaker 2: Wow, I find that so fascinating, Like who are you? You're you're a person, Like, how can you not look another person in the eye?
Speaker 1: I know, it's so nuts. But how the actual interview was set up. So he went into the interview room, and how these works. They're usually in hotel bi co hos towels and they set up a room and law chairs opposite the other person and you're quite far apart, so the mood like that they can capture on video, you know, film each of you. That he said, Robert de Niro's chair was facing like off to the lift.
Speaker 2: So Robert de Niro is like looking out the window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Robert de Niro is basically looking out the window, not looking at Nelson. Wow, Nelson's looking straight onto him. And he said, but then how they edited it. It made it look like Robert de Niro was looking at him and they were having a face to face.
Speaker 2: That is just so rude, like you're talking to someone there looking at the window.
Speaker 1: It's so strange.
Speaker 2: Cases you and I have had some pretty strange interviews in the past. I'd say, would you agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, because we used to do that were called on the couch videos, and for those of you that have followed Chantel for a long time, we literally would set up interviews on my couch with different well known people. But we got the opportunity, what's what's your worst one? First started?
Speaker 2: I was I would look, without a doubt. I feel bad saying this, but without a doubt, the worst one was Amy Schumer and it was yeah, look, I don't feel like it was so much her fault because it was one of those With all of our interviews, it's usually we have somebody come into the house. You know, when someone comes into your home, I think they feel quite comfortable immediately. And this was a different situation because it was in a hotel and we didn't get as long with her as we'd like, and what happened.
Speaker 1: I would like to warm them up a bit and chat about them, and they'd get their makeup done at my house, so we'd have like forty five minutes to chat with them. Yeah, but hold on, when you say it wasn't her fault, it was totally her fault. She was a complete asshole.
Speaker 2: Look, she was, But I'm just giving her some grace only because she'd had a few rough interviews before us, So she was in a bad mood to start with. And once we kind of found that out a little bit later, it made sense.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, see, you're very forgiving. I was because I was the one interviewing her two yeah, professor, and I'm sitting on the couch with her going, I honestly have never worked harder in my whole life than that Amy Humor interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also her interviews previously were hard because she was in a bad mood. She was out promoting that movie that she wrote, and would you remember it was called train Wreck, train Wreck, train Wreck, Yeah, and it's like you're already doing the pr for it. But it was just every single person who interviewed her said how horrible it was. Yeah, I remember the rep just floating our own boaties like yours was hands down the best.
Speaker 2: Yes, she told us that she liked us the best. I thought it was because previously she had spoken to a male radio host who had given her a bit of a hard time, and so he'd put her in a bad mood, which still you're right, it doesn't excuse her behavior.
Speaker 1: To us professional. I don't remember who else, like usually everyone was pretty epic who we would chat to.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember though when I first or when I was a Black Thunder pilot at the Melbourne radio station and I'd go out and hand out icy cole cans of coke. They'd sometimes do like rooftop oh yes, where they'd get celebrities to come. And this was and this wasn't a bad experience. It was just strange that Kellie Clarkson was the wow rooftop and my job, which was one of the best ones, was to look after Kellie Clarkson and make sure she had what she needed.
Speaker 2: Lucky her, hope she didn't need anything.
Speaker 1: Seriously, can I want to get fucked? Get your own water and then get her up onto stage and stuff. So she was about to go up to stage. She was in thirty centimeters from my face even closer and held my eyes and did her warm up routine.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Like did she serenade you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was like yeah, like doing singing, holding my eye contact.
Speaker 2: Tu.
Speaker 1: So I was like my internal dialogue was like, this is amazing. I've got Kellie Clarkson like warming up in my face to what the fuck is I can't look anywhere. I've got a hold of her gaze. This is so awkward.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool though, Yeah it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But also, you know who were the shittest being like in terms of having the attitude was always the Australian idol people or the Big brother people like yeah, yeah, the Britties were always the worst. I think they weren't media trained.
Speaker 2: They just don't know the business. They don't get that if you're not polite to whoever the radio host might be, or if you come in and you be an asshole, you won't be invited back. But they don't get that at that age.
Speaker 1: Because you have been a producer forever And how Brooke and I met was you were Sam's which I think I said in the first episode we did my partner's assistant producer on Hammers.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, back when I was a little whipper snapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you worked on The Circle that women's like TV show for a long time and stuff. So you've seen a lot and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I've I the only person that stands out as being a really tough interview and not an amazingly friendly gracious person was Amy Schumer. I did, which is pretty good. Yeah, But I also used to and I've told you this before, I used to find that some celebrities, and to be honest, it was usually like the Australian celebrities. There would be the occasional person that you know, you'd go out and you talk to about as the producer. You know, you go out and introduce yourself and talk through how it's going to work, what's going to happen. And often they could be quite grumpy or just come across quite rude or you know, like they're not having a great day. And then literally as soon as I walk in and open the studio doors and the hosts there, like whether it's Hami Shinandy or whether it's you or whoever it might be, their demeanor just completely changes.
Speaker 1: And they just turn on for me.
Speaker 2: Yet they turn on, And I used to find that so interesting because I think that shows a lot about someone's character because if you're you're the producer, I'm you know, I'm not going to bother using my energy you. But with the hosts, I'll go to town and give them everything I've gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because also you think you can get more from the hosts.
Speaker 2: Yes, but little do they know, like the producers have a lot of weight too. Totally, but yeah, you get. Yeah, there was the odd occasion where you'd really get not very much and be quite baffled by the way they come in and do their jazz hands and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, anyway, let's do a little check in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how have you been this week? You haven't had a great week?
Speaker 1: Maybe I have had, hands down the worst week of my life. Oh my gosh, I know that sounds dramatic. I had a migraine where I was in bed for nine days. I still feel washed out from it. It was so unbelievably hideous. It just kept going and going and going. And the pain was a new pain level to me for.
Speaker 2: People that don't understand migraines and what a migraine feels like when you talk about pain, what does that pain feel like?
Speaker 1: The pain was like an intense like grip around my head, throbbing and really nauseous and really dizzy. And I think it's the dizziness that gets to me the most because I can't they still, I have to keep going from one side to the other and it's so awful. And I just had times where I'm like, this needs to end. I can't it's too hard. It's too hard. And then the next or next day I'd wake up and the first thing I'd go is it's still there. I just couldn't believe how relentless it was.
Speaker 2: And then waking up in that moment and thinking, oh my god, I have to get through another day like this. How will they do that? And you did go to hospital, You ended up in hospital.
Speaker 1: I ended up in hospital twice because the first time it didn't work what they gave me, and then the pain got so brutal again. I said to Sam, we have to go and try again. And that was a week apart. It was like a Wednesday, and then I'd gone another week and it still was terrible.
Speaker 2: But how are you feeling today today?
Speaker 1: I just feel really washed out and I feel really anxious because I've been so sick and I have I can feel a tingle of a bad head, and whenever I feel that, I go, shit, what's this going to It's going to get one way or the other. But I also was like when I was in the thick of it, because now I realize it's when you're so sick and then you come out of it. It's almost it felt like childbirth in a way to me, that you're so programmed to forget how terrible it was. Yeah, yeah, do you know what I mean? Yeah, I look back and go, God, that was a hectic nine days. But I can't feel it.
Speaker 2: You can't go back to that exact feeling, you know, it was all.
Speaker 1: That feeling Thank God you get down, But it sounds like a form of trauma that your body goes. You've got to forget this because it was too much.
Speaker 2: But then do you have the feeling of when it lifts, just that feeling of completely being so a late, like so happy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, but I wrote while I was in bed, I thought I'll read it out, just write something because.
Speaker 2: Oh am I going to cry?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think you'll cry. But I just because when we record, we are in a better place. And I thought, sometimes it's hard to tap into how things tricky can bear, like how tricky things can be when you're feeling okay. So I thought, while I was not like fucking spinning like a merry go round, I just wrote a couple of notes, and this is it. When we podcast, I'm usually having a good or at least better day. I can sometimes find it tricky to tap into the full reality of what I'm going through because the way our mind works, it blocks out how painful things can be. Today is not a good day. I've been in bed for eight days with a migraine. I can't shift. I went to hospital and nothing they gave me even slightly touched the sides. I haven't left my room for what feels like months, so Sam or my boys bring me food and drinks, half of which comes straight back up. The pain over this week has gone to a whole other level. I've suffered with migraines for thirty years, but the intensity of this attack has become so unbearable at times I almost got into some other kind of world. The extreme dizziness makes it impossible for me to lay in one spot for longer than thirty seconds, so hours on and are spent turning from one side to another. I cry, but that makes the pain worse. I have my boys come in and suggest things like, Mum, maybe if you keep your head straight on the pillar, it will help.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: My middle boy Alo also made me a drawing. It was me lying in bed with an eyemask on, and he wrote how much he loves me. It's funny, smile and totally broke my heart. Sam has had to take days off work so he can be there to refiel my drink and bring me what I need. Last night he said, Babe, this is almost the point we need a full time.
Speaker 2: Care of you, honey.
Speaker 1: I was silent, because when things get this bad, he is right, he needs to work with me, not being arble to. It's all on his shoulders. Today, I'm defeated, I'm angry, I'm sad, and I'm full of guilt and rage. I want to run for my reality and I can't see an enter this and this is so far from any form of life I ever thought i'd live.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's so hard to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just was.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to live through that. That's your reality, yeah, and is my reality.
Speaker 1: And then I came okay, and I went to a friend's house for lunch with other people, and then yesterday I went out from life.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy? Even just that concept, like I know you've been in that, And then the next day, you're somewhere else and people don't know, and you're like, I wanted to die yesterday.
Speaker 1: I literally wanted to die, and now today I'm here eating chicken with fucking friends. It's so strange. It's the up and down of it that makes it so much believably challenging. So I know what's coming, what's next hour, or what's the next day. Anyway, that's my week.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing that with us. When you're in those moments, it is hard to Yeah, it's hard because you come out of it and you're so grateful and there's so much gratitude and you're so happy that you do forget. So I think it's important to write down those feelings and how it felt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yours wasn't a huge amount better procedures.
Speaker 2: Oh look, yeah, it probably wasn't the best week. I was having a tummy flare up already, and then I had to go and have a colonoscopy and a endoscope. But my god, like the last time I had a colonoscopy was like twenty years ago. I think I forgot how awful it is, Like, it is awful.
Speaker 1: The prep is so hectic.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what I mean. The prep and because I was already quite sick, I was like both ends for like two days.
Speaker 1: It was just awful.
Speaker 2: Like I just walked into the hospital and you know, I was like, I'm here for my procedure, just I need to get in there, like please let me in there, let this just do this and let this be over.
Speaker 1: And it was a four o'clock procedure, which just feels cruel, I mean, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I thought though I would be so hungry, but because you're so sick, you don't even think about food for a second, which is very unlike me. But it just doesn't. Yeah, it doesn't even register because you just feel so crappy. And the reason I went in to have these procedures was because my doctors just wanted to confirm that it is, in fact my MS that is slowing down the signals, the messages from my brain to my gut and my bows, which is slowing my digestion and making me quite unwell. A lot of the time I was hoping they might go in there and find an easy fix. You know, oh you can't, you know, as an intolerance. Don't eat this or don't eat that. But no, they confirmed what I was hoping they wouldn't, which is, yes, it's your MS. So let's just, you know, let's just keep on doing what we're doing and try new things and hope for the best.
Speaker 1: So so disheartening for you, yeah too, because yeah, it's disappointing while we were talking and going because you have such hectic tummy issues, which feeling nauseous is the pits. I actually would take migraines over feeling, would you, Actually I would because occasionally when I feel really nauseous, it's so it's such a hideous, hideous feeling where you think you're going to vomit or you just it's awful, which you deal with the majority of the time, which yeah, awful for you. But we were talking saying, maybe it's your MS. Sorry, maybe it's your ENDO, and that's why your tummy is really funny. You get really bloated where you literally look like you're nine months pregnant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wild, Yeah, it's crazy. I have like a whole other wardrobe of clothes for when I have these flare ups, you know, but today's a good day. It's been a good few days. So when that happens, I just try and hold on to it and take advantage of it and pray hope. But you know, it's also like that thing where you you're scared to do anything different than what you norm to do because you don't want to You don't want to cause do anything that might cause it or trigger it, even though it's nothing that you can do. But that's just the way our mind works.
Speaker 1: The anxiety around it. Gone, Yeah, when's this? You know what's going to happen here? And so what do they say? So it's just trying another medication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've started a new medication. So we'll give that a month or two to see if it does you know, if it does help. If not, we try something else, and we just keep on trying things until something hopefully helps. But you just don't know. It's hard to have hope because I've already tried so many things much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so hard because everything takes so long. Yes, you know, it's like, oh, this will take six weeks before you know a difference, and it's like, okay, so you just have to suffer through those.
Speaker 2: Six weeks exactly exactly. It's fun, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: It's so much fun. It's fully sun. We go to a listener question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is from Kate.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Hi Kate.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, thank you for doing this pod. I relate to everything you say. And Kate, that's exactly why we are doing this. I really struggle getting told I look fine all the time because people don't see what the reality is when I'm behind when I'm behind closed doors. Do you find this as well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's like you at the barbecue on Saturday, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's tricky because it's a hard question to answ because I think a lot of people who have an illness or disability feel like it invalidates and undermines the way they feel. You also don't want someone to tell you that you look like a piece of crapy.
Speaker 1: I'm not win for ye either the person to you, you know what I mean. Like I said to a girlfriend, I've been in bed for six days. She's like, I saw when I saw you, you looked so good. And I was like, yeah, because I'm out of the When I'm out of the house and out of bed, I will put on clothes. I mean they might be trackies, but they might be cool trackies and I will maybe put on the skarah and then that makes me look like a whole other person. But if you had peered into my bed the day before, it would have looked like I was dying. Yeah, it's hard because it invalidates the pain that you've been through. Yes, so you do want to hear that you look good.
Speaker 2: At the same time, yes, yeah, you feel like they're dismissing how you feel. But at the same time, I don't know if you find this, but I find that when I'm feeling good and someone says, oh, you look well, it doesn't bother me. I'm like, great, thank you. You know, I'll take it. I'll take that win. But then when it's taken every single ounce of you to get to the supermarket or school pickup or wherever it is that someone you know saw you and said, oh you, it looks like you look great. It's so hard because you think, oh my god, like if you just knew. But they're not doing it to be unkind. You know, they're doing it to be kind and supportive.
Speaker 1: So I hate doing something like you. I can tell when I look good too, like, yeah, yeah, totally, I'm pretty. I'm not you know. And the thing is that when I feel like shit and I'm coming a bit good, I put on fake tan too. It's my one thing that I get to and I'm like, oh my god, I'm not going to look like death if I have a bit of.
Speaker 2: Tan on or do you know what? Actually, this reminds me of something when I was when I had my first child, Eatie, so almost ten years ago, I was in hospital and it was in subber so I had a bit of you know, I had a bit of a tan going on. And after I had her, I was so so unwell, Like the fatigue was just I knew it wasn't normal. Like I couldn't make it from like the bed in the hospital to the bathroom to brush my teeth without like being out of breath, needing to stop. I couldn't like the motion of brushing my teeth was so exhausting, and I knew that there was something wrong. And I remember saying to my obstetrician, I'm not okay, something doesn't feel right, and he said, oh, you've just had a baby. Your far you know that's you know, you're tired. You've had a baby. And I'm like, yeah, look I get that, but there's something other than that, because I'm pretty sure most people have a baby and they can get up and brush their teeth, like I feel like I can't move.
Speaker 1: And he just kept this.
Speaker 2: We had this conversation maybe two or three times, and at one point he said, oh, well you look great. Look you've got great color. You look really great.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And he just kept dismissing me. And then one of the nurses said, no, darling, I see you, I hear you. We're going to get this test done when he leaves, just to make sure everything's okay.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And she did that. She's a beautiful, beautiful, amazing woman. And I and I saw her so many times after I had ebe actually like because we lived in the same area, and I just was so grateful for her. And so they did these tests and then they said, oh, actually, no, you're not okay. And I had to have three blood transfusions. But he was prepared just to let me, you know, yeah, yeah, because I had a turn, because well, I must be okay. Then if I've got a whacking that, yeah, it does make you feel good. It does does the world of good. So I'm not sure if we're helping you at.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, but I do feel you it's hard. Yeah. And I also had, you know, Sam gets it a lot where it's like, oh, yeah, I saw a MONTI she looked great, and he's like, she's at home and hasn't moved, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just that must be really hard for him, for him too to hear that total Yeah, And I think it's okay, Kate to say if someone says to you when you're having a rough day or off week, year, whatever it might be, if someone says, oh, but you don't look sick or you look great, I think it's okay to say, oh, thanks but you know it's taken so much to get me here, or thanks, but I'm a hot mess under this nice outfit, or you know whatever, whatever it might be. But I think it's okay to say that. But also just to keep in mind, no one is doing it to hurt your feelings. They're just trying to be nice and make you feel good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Chuck, let's get out here. Everyone. Thank you so much for listening. And like I've said before, this podcast is for you if you've got chronic illness or if you know somebody that does pass it on to them, or if it's somebody in your life that you know, like for example, this helps Sam listen to this podcast because he gets me more to pass on to people in your life who, yeah, struggle to kind of understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have a fully sick person in your life and you would yeah, advice on how to handle certain things or insight into anything, please do hit us
Speaker 1: Up yet absolutely Show and Tell Online is our Instagram, and we read all of your messages and we do get back to you all right by now bye