Speaker 1: Welcome, they'll wait to pay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Stauer and Caleb Bond. Coming up tonight. Every parent's nightmare. A mum discovers a venomous brown snake in her toddler's bedroom, and in.
Speaker 3: Perth there's snakes on the beach.
Speaker 4: We'll show you all of that a little later, plus when we get to the papers.
Speaker 3: Sydney to be brought.
Speaker 4: To a standstill as the rail union goes on strike over the weekend seeking a thirty two percent pay rise, and other things making news tomorrow. Anthony Albanezi very close to Jijingping as they cuddle up at the G twenty summit in Brazil. We'll get to all of that when we look at tomorrow's newspapers. But first, what could be more Australian than taking a Saturday afternoon to go down the Bunnings get some hardware things for the home, and maybe a sausage and a piece of bread. But what most Australians didn't realize, at least for three years between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty one, is that when they went to Bunnings in New South Wales and Victoria Bunnings were using facial recognition technology without their consent. After a two year investigation, the Privacy Commissioner ruled today that Bunnings had violated the rights of customers. Bunnings have been ordered to put an apology online, to destroy all the information they collected, and to promise never to do it again.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Bunnings escaped a fine because the Privacy Commissioner accepted their explanation that they had done this with good intent. Bunnings claimed they never used the information for marketing or for tracking people's habits. Instead, they were doing facial recognition and then cross checking that data with a pre put together list of troublemakers so that they could identify people who were known to cause trouble at Bunnings.
Speaker 3: Early in order to keep staff safe.
Speaker 4: Now, while accepting the explanation, the Privacy Commissioner said that wasn't reason enough to violate people's human rights.
Speaker 3: Now. All of this came to light a.
Speaker 4: Couple of years ago after Choice magazine revealed it, and it wasn't just Bunnings, The Good Guys and Kmart were also accused of using facial recognition technology, and investigation into Good Guys has been dropped, but in an investigation into Kmart's use of the technology continues. Calibrin Liz, I think Bunnings were pretty lucky not to be fined here. I mean, effectively, they were putting customers into what amounts to a police lineup, without customers ever knowing. They were collecting highly personal information without consent, and we're expected to trust their explanation that they weren't going to use this information for anything else other than just trying to get ahead of trouble makers.
Speaker 3: But we're expected to believe.
Speaker 4: That when they weren't upfront with us in the first place.
Speaker 3: I think they were very.
Speaker 2: For and that was the reason that was used to not give them the fine, that they had supposedly done it with good intentions so that the fine was not needed. But regardless of whether or not they get a fine, this decision by the Commissioner is extremely important because it now sets the precedent that retailers cannot do this. The warning fire has been shot to say, whether it's Bunnings or anyone else, you cannot put up facial recognition without full consent of the customer. To that now, we still don't know exactly what full consent would look like I mean, would it be as simple as a sign saying if you enter this shop you know you will be under facial recognition.
Speaker 5: But then it was to say whether you see the sign exactly and.
Speaker 1: How much do they have to detail what they're going to do with that? Right, So this should in effect tell every retailer that.
Speaker 2: They cannot do this anymore, and for that we should be extremely grateful.
Speaker 1: Because we've talked about this in.
Speaker 2: Terms of it's been suggested you're doing it in public places as well well.
Speaker 1: I think we did a story.
Speaker 2: Some months ago about was it the Tube in London? Now they were doing facial recognition to monitor people's emotions so that they could potentially decide what sort of advertising to display in stations, et cetera.
Speaker 1: That's what this eventually leads to.
Speaker 2: Even if it begins purely as okay, where we're finding out who the troublemakers are, it's not a big leap to say, well, if you plug in a different bit of technology or software over here, we'll be able to track when you walk into the shop, when you walk out of the shop. Your receipt is linked to your face, so they know when you come in that you're more likely to buy plumbing products, so you're more likely to go to the garden section or whatever, and then they send down a staff member to try and upsell you on products. This is eventually where this stuff leads and who's keeping the data? Where is the data being kept. There's no rules around how the data has to be kept. It could just be sitting in some service somewhere. I mean Bunning said that they deleted it within milliseconds if you weren't one of the dodgy people on their list. But we don't know whose hole that data. We know everything gets hacked these days. Yes, imagine if someone's got all this biometric data on loads and loads of people and someone hacks that system, that is extremely valuable.
Speaker 4: Hacked, Liz, that data becomes an asset right that of course easily be sold for a lot of money to various organizations.
Speaker 5: And we know that plenty of companies do this. I mean, it wasn't long ago we were doing another story on insurance companies getting data from your ohso smart cars that are tracking when you break, how hard you break, all the rest of it, and people were finding their insurance policies we're costing a lot more money, asking why and finding out through their insurer they were in bed with the people gathering the data from the car's data base and they decided, well, you're actually not that safe a driver. I feel like the commissioner has very much taken Bunning's word for it with regard to this entire case. It'll be interesting to see if kmart gets a similar ruling. They two are under exactly the same investigation because, as you were just told, they two were busted back in June twenty twenty two by choice. The good guys don't have an investigation into them. But it will be interesting to see whether Kmart gets a different ruling because they can just as eagerly argue as I'm sure they will, the exact same thing bunningstead, which was our motives are in the right place. We're just trying to crack down hard on the baddies. But don't we know that is the case with all surveillance systems. It's the individual privacy of the masses in order to assure their safety from the handful of bad guys. I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to trade it in to Canada now where after nine years as Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau's approval rating has plummeted from the sixty three percent way back in his heyday when he was first elected to just twenty three percent in June of this year. It's continued to tumble. So with an election breathing down his neck coming up just next year, he's decided to back off on the record immigration his government has seen poor into Canada. Here he is saying, look, we could have acted faster, but I'm making a move now, so vote for me next year. People.
Speaker 6: In the last two years, our population has grow really fast, like baby boom fast. Increasingly bad actors like fake collegists and big chain corporations have been exploiting our immigration system.
Speaker 5: For their own interests.
Speaker 6: So we're doing something major. We're reducing the numbers of immigrants that will come to Canada for the next three years.
Speaker 5: So he's decided all better crack down on this because all the polls in Canada are showing for the first time in a quarter century, the vast majority of Canadians are saying we've had enough with these record levels of immigration. In this guy just wants to get re elected here is the head of the opposition, which I certainly hope will be the PM at next year. Pierre Polivier. He's taking Trudeau to tasks saying, mate, you're the cause of the problem. Stop blaming these third party actors or it's just bad people exploiting the system. Listen to what Pierre has to say and ask yourself, doesn't this sound like he's describing our government, the labor government, the Albenesy government to a tee.
Speaker 7: Let's not distract turn our gaze away from the source of the problem, which is justin Trudeau, who increased our population growth by three hundred percent in a matter of a couple of years by his admissions, since me allowed massive fraud in international students, temporary foreign workers, and the refuge system. By his own admission, the liberal immigration policies have caused massive housing, job, and healthcare shortages. And now he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused.
Speaker 5: Wow. Massive housing, job and healthcare. Wow, it just reminded me so much of here back at home. But the amount of damage Pierre's going to be able to do at the polling booth next year on this issue. And we've seen this across the West. It was the case in the UK, but not so much. They just voted for change and they're not gonna get it any time zone. It was certainly successful in the US. Trump used that as a battering ram, and rightly so. I think Pierre this is going to be another bastion of his campaign against Trudeau because it goes without saying all the polls are already showing this is what the people want and which Canadians are going to be dumb enough to believe that the guy who created the problem is going to be the guy to fix it.
Speaker 4: Do you think we can put this down to the Trump effect a little bit?
Speaker 5: Perhaps? I mean Pierre has already been called very much a Trumpian figure. He's very famous for chewing on apples, bary, talking to reporters, questioning on their questioning them on their questions, getting them to trip all over themselves. So he's very much already seen as a very Trumpian figure. But again, I think this is and we've talked about across the EU as well. This is played out beautifully in the Netherlands, in Hungary, in poland all the parties that say we are running on an anti immigration policy because we've been flooded and we're absolutely sick of it. Those are the guys getting voted in.
Speaker 4: I just love the gas lighting by Justin Trudeau. I mean the way he sort of sits down in the chair. He's the guy who's just set fire to every house in the street and then he calls everyone together for a chat about fire safety. You know, it's just incredible that the front that he has. And of course if you criticized his immigration policy, you would denounced as a racist. And this is another thing that has a commonality right across the Western world. Remember it wasn't that long ago that our own Laura Tingle accused Peter Dutton of us stirring up racism by daring to suggest that high immigration was putting pressure on housing. And Laura Tingle imagined that people are going to go down to you know, bid on a home or apply for a rental, and they're going to see someone of a different skin color and automatically blame them for the fact that you can't dwelling in Sydney or wherever. And so we've been denounced as racists for pointing out what Justin Trudeau is now saying, or actually, we do have an issue, but don't worry. Having caused the problem, now you can trust me to fix.
Speaker 2: It, which would be to say that the majority of Canadians are racist. Now I'm sure true, don't may will believe that, and so people on the left would believe that. But all the polling does now show that the majority of Canadians believed immigration is too high. I'm generally willing to give politicians credit when they admit they get things wrong, but on this coount, I have to say that, like, it's the most obvious economic principle, supply and demand. What do you think is going to happen when you increase demand significantly when you don't have the supply to keep up with it. You end up with housing crises, You end up with cost of living crises.
Speaker 1: On and on it goes. You end up with a lower standard of living.
Speaker 2: Justin Trudeau, even the person with the lowest IQ on the planet, could work out the most basic stuff.
Speaker 3: Which that's justin true.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a little more credit than that, because he is a communist. You do need to a couple of branches to understand communism to begin with. But he should have been able to see this coming. Any Western leaders should have been able to see this coming. Anthony Alberanze should have been able to see this coming. The reason that Trudeau, like Albansi, jacked immigrant so much was to fudge the economic numbers because they know that if they didn't have such massive population growth in the last few years, they likely would have gone into recession. We've been in effective recession for a long time, but the numbers don't show we're in recession because we keep propping it up with the population figures.
Speaker 1: Right, and then he goes to an election. Oh no, no, it's not popular. I'd better walk it all back. Good luck.
Speaker 4: I agree with everything he just said, except, you know, give him a bit of grace because maybe he's a politician who genuinely is admitting, you know what, we got it wrong.
Speaker 3: But that was a seid.
Speaker 5: Rudo right, genuinely admitting he got it wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying it's a settle minute, and within ten seconds he's saying unscrupulous colleges, businesses taking advantage. I don't think he was really admitting much fault.
Speaker 5: Rather funny though, because for the longest time he's called everyone who opposed this mass immigration to Canada racist, So you got to ask yourself, does this make you a racist? Now you're amongst the people that you have opposed for so long. So we've got a suggestion here on the late debate tonight, does he want to pop over to Ireland because their racisms are Her name is doctor Ebon. She's running racism courses, anti racism courses at eighty seven percent off at the moment, bargain basement prices, ladies and gentlemen. Maybe we can sponsor him to go. Maybe Canadians would like to take that idea on board. Just in case you've forgotten who doctor Ebon is here, she is back in July explaining how Irish people need to be trained not to be racist, and essentially that's the job that she's beginning. Are there are no laws to protect people. People are brought into offices institutions that are not davers.
Speaker 8: So we've not done that walk, We've not trained people, and we can't expect our nation to be non racist if we have not any put people who've not trained.
Speaker 6: Them you know, how to be non racist.
Speaker 9: So those are key things and they are no loss to protect people, there are no consequences.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe it's just a case of Ireland is experiencing its highest immigration since two thousand and seven and the Irish sig of it. Isn't it a wonder that these Western countries, every single one of us, who are being flooded with mass immigration, are always constantly lectured on how racist we are. I mean, can you even back it up with any stories? Remember when we were asking the ABC who love to constantly bereat Australia and what a racist country we are, It's like, can you provide any proof to that whatsoever?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Dr Ebon Joseph is herself Nigerian born, right, So she's gone over to Ireland where she has been successful enough to have an academic career. She's now been made the Special Rapporteur on Anti racism etc.
Speaker 1: So she's risen up.
Speaker 2: Quite well in that country and now complains that she and other people feel uncomfortable in Ireland.
Speaker 1: It's a very strange situation.
Speaker 2: Has lived there twenty two years and there you go and has done so badly that she is now in a top job and has to complain about the fact she's in the top job.
Speaker 1: But I love the fact that she is struggling so much to.
Speaker 2: Get people to buy into her anti racism causes that she has to reduce the cost by eighty seven percent, which I think just proves that.
Speaker 1: People aren't buying this nonsense. They know that it is nonsense.
Speaker 2: I mean, and she would think, as I'm sure a lot of other people would. And I highly recommend you watch the documentary Am I Racist? On the Daily Wire because it's about exactly this, right, you would think that there would be people lining up just waiting to go into these courses because they've got all this internalized racism and they go, fay, oh, We've got to fix the country. And because I'm white, I must automatically be racist, which is what she's suggesting by saying that you need to be taught to not be racist, as though we are innately racist in some manner. But people just don't want a bar of it. And it feels like the culture is starting to turn, whether it be in the US with Donald Trump or in Ireland with her having to drop the prizes by eighty seven percent, people are actually willing to stand up now and say, actually, no, We're not a racist country. We're not innately racist. We don't have to be taught not to be racist. We're not going to literally buy into this crap anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, Leslie said, the suggestion that the Irish need to be trained not to be racist is itself a pretty racist suggestion. And not only is it racist, but it's highly offensive that they need to be trained like dogs, that somehow they need to be reprogrammed. I'm just wondering, do you reckon there's a white irishman in Abajar in Nigeria training Nigerians not to be racist.
Speaker 3: Somehow this only ever works one way.
Speaker 4: But of course, Caleb, as you pointed out, this woman has been very, very successful, and she's been successful talking about race, and so you know, for many people in this area, there's a certain conflict of interest where they are adamant that racism is a massive problem, we need training. Well, who should the government give millions of dollars to train people not to be racist? Well, it just so happens the people calling out racism also provide the training material. This particular woman has argued that the entire Irish education system needs to be overhauled and the curriculum completely rewritten from year one right through to the end of school.
Speaker 3: And I suppose that you know, well, she runs a director.
Speaker 4: She's the director of the Institute of Anti Racism where they provide training for individuals, corporate institutions and NGOs to manage different so you can start train. If it's a bargain, we'll train everybody. And if you're training everybody, eighty seven percent off will still make you a lot of money. Now, I don't know if she's doing that, but I'm just saying, isn't it always interesting how the people pointing these things out also provide the training to make it better.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And Ireland is clearly such a racist country that, as you can see here in this footage, large groups of Muslims can literally hold up the footpath to pray and no one tells them to stop doing it.
Speaker 1: What a terribly racist country it is. People need to be taught not to be racist.
Speaker 4: Well, that's evidence that the Irish have been successfully taught to.
Speaker 1: Just everything tolerance, everything's as well.
Speaker 2: We're around the doctor has been totally successful. While we're talking about big problems and the government telling you what you should or should not be able to do and should or should not be able to think. It seems with every passing day that the social media age restrictions that the government wants to.
Speaker 1: Push through by the end of the year.
Speaker 2: There's only one more sitting week left to go after this week in Parliament. They want to ram this thing through before Christmas because the Albanezi government is desperate for some piece of successful policy to take to the next federal election. I mean, they can literally point to nothing at the moment. The biggest thing they had with the Voice that was a failure. The only other thing they can really point to is that inflation has gone down. But have you seen that cause any change and your power bills or your wages or anything.
Speaker 1: Your grocery bills.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: They've got literally nothing to sell.
Speaker 2: So they're trying to get this done as quickly as possible, but the number of people and the groups mounting against this is growing. Even the Wiggles now say that they're concerned about age restrictions on social media because, of course we learned a week or two ago that one of the outlets that would be included in all of this is YouTube, and the Wiggles are saying, well, hang on a minute. If kids can't go on YouTube and you know, watch things like the Wiggles, then where are they going to be going to watch content? They'll be going off into the big, big, bad, unregulated world of the Internet, presumably.
Speaker 1: Now there's plenty of other questions as well about how age verification etc.
Speaker 3: Would work.
Speaker 2: Sarah Hanson young, and I mean I'm loath to give her any praise, but she was part of the committee that originally looked into the issues of young people and social media, the Parliamentary committee that is, and she said, look, we never actually recommended that there be age restrictions.
Speaker 10: I want to point out very clearly here that the most interesting thing about this final report is what is not in the recommendations, and what is not in the recommendations is a blunt ban age ban on social media. That's not what we recommended. But not one recommendation in this final report says a blunt ban on young people on social media is a good idea. We listened to the experts, and the experts view is it's not. The experts view is that this isn't how you do it.
Speaker 2: Now, as I've said before, I'm sympathetic to the idea of children not being able to use social media. We know the harms that social media caused to children, but we've known those harms for a long time, so there is no need to rush this legislation through as the Government wants to do. And because they are rushing it so fast and there are so many damn holes in this thing. We don't know how it's going to operate. We don't know whether YouTube will be included or not. We don't know, as Michelle Roll and the Communications Minister said last week, whether Snapchat would be included or not, and we don't know how the age verification.
Speaker 1: System would work.
Speaker 2: Senator Malcolm Roberts has pointed out well the Digital ID Bill was passed earlier this year. That is one of the potential ways that could be used to force people to say what their age is and that would mean not only children being subjected to age verification but all of us and perhaps at some point that could be linked to a government owned and digital ID that has literally everything attached to it.
Speaker 11: Only recently, Minister Gallagher reassured Australians the Digital ID was not compulsory, yet without it life will be impossible. The Digital ID started life under the Morrison Liberal government. As recently as April, Opposition Leader Peter Dudden championed the Misinformation and Disinformation Bill and the Liberals support social media age verification.
Speaker 3: Age verification means.
Speaker 11: The government forcing digital ID on everyone paired with frequent facial scans from the camera on your device. Mandating digital IDA is an unacceptable infringement on personal sovereignty. The government running the scheme and having all your data in real time is absolutely terrifying.
Speaker 1: And echoing the concerns of the Wiggles.
Speaker 2: Senator Alexandrik from the Great State of South Australia, I must mention that points out if the government says okay, well kids can't use YouTube, does that eventually mean that there are approved sources of information the children are given to use online?
Speaker 1: Could they be government controlled?
Speaker 12: Immediately, we've gone from talking about a law protecting children under sixteen from online harm to proposals potentially requiring all Australians to submit personal identification as a condition of using social media. This is how concerns over safety, in this case children's safety, convince people to hand over their freedom to hand over their personal information. And of course this has nothing to do with the fact that a generation of young people are starting to unpick the lies of the corporate media. What a great way to ensure that young people only get a left wing government message approved to them via their devices.
Speaker 2: Now I could have also claimed Sarah Hanson Young as a South Australian, but I just try.
Speaker 5: To notice that I noticed that.
Speaker 2: I don't normally talk about exactly how I vote, but I will proudly say that in the twenty nineteen federal election, when I still lived in Adelaide, below the line on the Senate paper, I've very happily put Sarah Hanson Young last. But they have rushed this piece of this bill, which will eventually presumably become legislation because it has the support of the opposition.
Speaker 1: So fast.
Speaker 2: We don't know how any of it is actually going to work. There are holes in this thing that you could drive a truck through.
Speaker 4: You've got to give the government some credit here. I mean, they have done something I never imagined possible. They have managed to unite the Wiggles, the Greens, One Nation and alex Antika Liberal senator all singing from the same hymn book that this is a terrible piece of legislation, and it's so bad that I mean, my understanding is under sixteens won't be able to have social media accounts.
Speaker 3: But YouTube is not social media.
Speaker 4: YouTube is essentially a video platform, a streaming platform, which is the Wiggles point. It just shows how badly thought through this legislation is. Whichever way you look at it, whether it's from how it will be implemented, what it will and won't include, what it means for children's education, from every angle, it's just bad.
Speaker 5: And we don't know, which is why we've got this meta questions. We don't know that it is just the social media accounts. If you're saying these kids should not have, say, Internet access at all from this age, that's where the ID comes in and that's where we're David Shubridge the other day got out of the committee in outright admittance. Yes, by virtue of testing whether you're under the age of sixteen, we're also checking that you are over the age of sixteen, because everyone, whatever this loophole is, whatever this hurdle is that you have to cross in order to access different parts of the Internet or the Internet at large, you can be assured if it starts just different parts of the Internet that would spend you'd need to use this digitally I D to age verification, and then what data are they collecting on you? Which is why I took great umbrage to Peter Dutton today trying to explain to people, oh, no, Combating Misinformation and Disinformation bill, and this all about protecting children, which it is not about that at all, as Senator Antik and the others just explained to you. Sarah Hanson Young literally just told you this wasn't even recommended in the big review report that they did. But here's Peter Dutton saying people are confusing these two things and they're totally unrelated and nothing to worry about here.
Speaker 13: The Coalition strongly supports age limits for social media and verification, which also protects privacy. The legislation regarding age limits for social media is completely separate to the legislation on misinformation and disinformation and it's important not to conflate entirely different issues of keeping our kids safe online and freedom of speech.
Speaker 5: But it's not entirely different, is it. Because if we have to use some sort of ID to access our social networks, then what are you doing when misinformation Disinformation Bill comes into play. You know exactly where I live, you know exactly who I am. No one can use these anonymous acronyms and different weird names that a lot of conservatives have taken to using because after the last few years, certainly before Elon mustokover X, they were being toss left, right and center off platforms, so they started to use just anonymous names, anonymous identities so that they could push out conservative content. They would still be thrown off, And many of those accounts are on like number thirteen, number fourteen, and just kept creating another account as the last one was gotten rid of. But to say that, oh, there's no connection between these two, there's no crossover, is completely disingenuous and completely untrue, because if you've got to verify that you are over sixteen to log into your Facebook, Instagram, whatever the platform may be, they then have everything you've ever written for years and years and years, anything you've ever hit, like on any private messages that you've ever said, and they know sent and they know exactly who you are, where you are, where you work, etc. And so on, because it will all be connected to your digital idea.
Speaker 4: It's a strange kind of night on the Late Debate because we're giving shout outs to Sarah Hanson Young, We're giving shout.
Speaker 3: Outs to David Shubridge.
Speaker 4: So I reckon, let's just keep going and give a shout out to who should we do next?
Speaker 3: Lydia Thorpe. Yeah, go on, well Thorpe.
Speaker 4: She announced today on Twitter that she will not be supporting the government's Misinformation Bill. She tweeted, after speaking with a range of stakeholders and hearing from many community members, I've decided to oppose the Misinformation and Disinformation Bill. More needs to be done to tackle these problems, but this bill is not the answer. Here is Lydia Thorpe in all her glory speaking on this topic.
Speaker 9: The Misinformation Bill, for example, I won't be supporting that. I've been talking to community members and stakeholders. Black and brown people could be demonized as part of that process or the devil in the detail in these pieces of legislation that I'm digging into and negotiating with the government to either fix it or I won't support it.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 4: I think it's the first time on the Late Debate A special shout out to Liday is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Hell has frozen over.
Speaker 4: She won on to talk about the fact that you know, she wants to be able to talk about Gaza and colonization and Indigenous rights without being shut down. And we would all agree there are issues that we disagree with her passionately on, but we would absolutely advocate for her right to speak what she believes about those issues. The only problem with Lydia Thorpe's stance against the Misinformation Bill. I don't know if you heard her explanation, but she said the bill's reliance on white dominated institutions to regulate what constitutes truth will be a problem, which leaves open the possibility that if there were perhaps First Nations people regulating, that would be okay. She also said the problem with AKMA, which will be the organization making these adjudications lacks First Nations advisors and that's.
Speaker 3: Why it's not fit to regulate contents.
Speaker 4: And now, Caleb, I'm thinking, should we take back the shout out or should we just exist?
Speaker 5: No, for once, I don't care about her reasons. This is really significant, right because without Lydia Thorpe saying yes, I'm going to oppose this bill, we did have thirty eight in the Senate who had committed to voting it down. But that's only enough to block the bill. Now, with Lydia Thorpe, we have thirty nine and that is enough as long as they all stay true to their word to vote this thing down. What remains Jane's harrowing is it only by one vote. We're going to be saved by a Lydia Thorpe, and we're going to be saved by this Dystovian future where nobody really has freedom of speech online, or we're looking at a future like the UK has where people are being arrested for these nonviolent hate crimes for writing a comment on their Facebook, some being sent to jail for said of fends. We've dodged that by one vote. Like I always say, in these circumstances, the government. Even if you've dodged the bullet, the government has shown its hand. It's told you what it wants in its own ideal world, and we'd be stupid. Yes, Bree the sigh of relief if we actually pull this off, but never forget what they tried to pull off.
Speaker 2: Thank God for Lydia thought pay. But you see, she's got concerns about Akma. She'd rather Blackmer was deciding what.
Speaker 1: You can day online.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: In the US, the Pentagon, as you would know, is the department that basically runs defense.
Speaker 1: It has a.
Speaker 2: Massive budget, almost a trillion US dollars to be precise, it's eight hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Four billion US dollars is in their budget.
Speaker 2: And for these seventh times straight, they have failed an audit of their finances because would you believe it, they don't actually know where all of this money has gone. Is it any wonder that Donald Trump has set up the DOGE, the Department of Government Efficiency, to clean all this nonsense up. I mean, for heaven's sake, you would think the most basic job of a government department would be to know where it's spending the money that it compulsorily takes from you in taxes to do things with.
Speaker 1: No, they don't know that.
Speaker 2: John Stewart, who of course is a late night host over in the US, sat down with Kathleen Hinks, who's the tippity Secretary of Defense and has to very calmly and methodically, well, if you don't know where the money is going, isn't that a problem, And she bizarrely said not at.
Speaker 14: All when audit is exactly what you just described, which is, do I know what was delivered to which place? The ability to pass an audit or in the fact that the DD has not passing on it is not suggestive of waste fraud abuse. Now is a question of it's suggestive that we can't we don't have an accurate inventory that we can pull up of what we have where.
Speaker 5: My world, Yeah, that's waste. How is that waste? If I give you a billion dollars and you can't tell me what happened to it, that to me is wasteful. That that means you are not necessary responsible. But if you can't tell me where it went, then what am I supposed to think?
Speaker 1: I mean, look at hinks there.
Speaker 5: He says.
Speaker 2: If I give you a billion dollars and I don't know how you've spent it, that's what And she got, oh, what a stupid suggestion. This is how they operate in GAV No wonder. Trump has sent in Elon Musk and vivig Ramaswami to clean this stuff up.
Speaker 15: The Pentagon has just failed it's seventh consecutive audit, nearly a trillion dollars of budget they can't even tell you where it goes.
Speaker 1: So I think part of this is exposing for.
Speaker 15: The public the extent of that right and waste, but then to take steps first through executive action and then laying the groundwork for broader chains through legislation as well, to rein in that deficit, to reign in that budget, and more crucially, Marie, I know we're talking about this in terms of efficiency, but there's something deeper going on here. This is about restoring self governance and accountability in America as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just so emblematic of the deep disdain that government has for tax payers and the deeply entrenched arrogance within bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: That they fail the seventh Audit straight.
Speaker 2: They literally don't know where all of that trillion old dollars.
Speaker 1: Has been spent. They can't account for it.
Speaker 2: The auditors actually couldn't form an opinion of the numbers they were looking at because they weren't given the full numbers. And they go, oh, well, that's no problem. Do you think there is any business anywhere in the world that would operate like that and the CEO wouldn't get the sack tomorrow.
Speaker 4: This is making me feel so much better about myself because I get really down on myself because I can't find my socks. US Defense Department are rangingly relevant. A trillion dollars they can't find, No, is.
Speaker 5: It not a trillion? To be clear, this is the seventh that they failed brillions. It's well over six trillion because this eight hundred and twenty four billion dollar that's just for the year to date. But this is the seventh that they've failed. So we're talking well over six trillion now that they're just saying, I can't really tell you what the.
Speaker 4: Good news is though that they believe that by twenty twenty eight, they're auditing processes will be good.
Speaker 3: And they'll know where all this money is.
Speaker 4: So I've only got to wait one of the other three four years and it'll all be suite.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Sydney Side is about to be massively disrupted by a train strike as the union seeks a thirty two percent pay rise.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in this moment.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. Will start with the Daily Telegraph and I reckon there'll be a lot of Sydney siders waking up to read this headline tomorrow, very very unhappy Union dictators to cause shock three day shutdown. The headline reads train wreck. Rail union dictators are set to bring Sydney to a devastating halt over three days this weekend as they try to force the men's government into a thirty two percent pay rise now they want that over four years, as well as reduced weekly working hours for those operating trains. They will start this strike Thursday night and continue it through until Sunday morning, with warnings there could be more industrial action midweek after Sunday. This is going to shut down the entire train system.
Speaker 3: There's a massive concert.
Speaker 4: I forget who's playing this weekend, but there's a big concert in Sydney this weekend as well that people would have been relying upon trains to get to not to mention people who just want to get to work. So this is going to be hugely disruptive and not good for the labor government.
Speaker 5: Well, it's certainly not going to get any Sydney siders on board with the union's plans, but it is always remarkable when this happens. We've seen nurses walk off the jobs and you're thinking of everyone sitting at home waiting for their surgeries or people in hospital beds. Are they being fed? When the unions really get the governments by the scruff of the neck and show us all, remind us all who's actually running transit in New South Wales, it actually ain't the government and these guys when they walk off, there's no boots left on the ground, no one's running the trains, which means hundreds of thousands of Sydney Siders aren't going anywhere for days. There is no quantifying the upheaval this is going to cause, and whether it brings the government to heal or not, only time can tell. But they knew that this threat was on the table when they're refused to take the deal.
Speaker 2: So and this is like the union obviously deserves criticism for what they are doing here, but the state government deserves criticism as well because the state government is ultimately responsible for those trains running. They knew this was coming. They have failed in these negotiations and.
Speaker 1: Now they are the one.
Speaker 2: It's actually the state government that will shut down the train services over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Because this what are they supposed to do?
Speaker 5: Then just capitulate, photomage what they have to do.
Speaker 1: They should do something something.
Speaker 2: I mean, these negotiations sure are protracted because of disagreements between the state government and the union, but the government drags the heels on this stuff too.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're blameless in this situa.
Speaker 4: They can't give an effectively, what's an eight percent per year for the next four years thirty two percent pay rise? Otherwise you know, first thing after that, we'll be sitting here criticizing them In's government saying how could they do that? They're just keeping inflation high, et cetera, et cetera, so they can't capitulate. The problem is they've given such high pay rises to other areas nurses, et cetera, that they've got themselves stuck.
Speaker 2: Of course, but I don't know, find another way, go off to court to stop it. I mean, there are rules around industrial action and what isn't isn't allowed. I mean, surely if you are disrupting public services so thoroughly, there must be some way to stop this kind of thing. It's the same with the nurses. I mean, you know, nurses walking off the job. Yeah, even though you may have a dispute with the state government, there is also a level of responsibility to provide a service.
Speaker 1: Within all of that.
Speaker 2: Surely there is something that can be done about this on the state government.
Speaker 5: See think so they're all still on the payroll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Tread to sack them.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't care what they do. Just get the trains bloody round.
Speaker 3: You know who's going to be most upset about this.
Speaker 4: That's climate protesters because they're going to be like, stop the trains, authority stopped.
Speaker 5: Really, I thought they'd be thrilled. Less emissions for three days. Stick that feather in your cap.
Speaker 1: The more those are in the cars.
Speaker 5: Potentially potentially a lot of people live too far out and certainly wouldn't drive into the CBD, say if they're trying to get to work or whatever, because there's nowhere to park, unless you're willing to debate a million bucks an hour in Sydney CBD to the front splash of the Australia now Bowen's new clear cop out love the play on words there. The Albanezy government has been forced to defend quote outlawing end quote nuclear Energy and faced accusations of being in quote international embarrassment end quote after rejecting an invitation from its orchist security packed partners to join a global move to speed up the spread of civilian nuclear energy at the COP twenty nine climate change talks in Baku, Energy minist Chris Bowen rebuffed an appeal from the uick K and the US to sign the nuclear agreement aimed at decarbonizing industry from March next year. This is just getting more and more embarrassing. This is the most important military alliance we have right now. Our too much bigger, much more military might partners the UK and the US are like, please please just sign up to this, and our Energy Minister Chris bow And embarrassing us once again on the world stage. Because the point of the matter is he can't backtrack now. Kenny has been insulting Dutton for as long as I can remember on the New Clear Plan, saying we don't need that. We're all good with our green dream. We have a road, we have a plan. This is the way of the future. So now he's just got to keep stringing that banjo, doesn't.
Speaker 2: He And his excuse for this is well a nuclear energy is banned in Australia, so therefore it is of no interest or relevance to us. I hate to tell you, blackout Bowen, you could change that, but you you could change that is banned because it is banned at the federal level.
Speaker 1: Your government could reverse that too, but he won't do.
Speaker 2: That because he's scared that nuclear energy might actually work. And imagine if nuclear energy worked in this country, it would put to bit all the nonsense that we've gone through with renewable energy, which you learned about at eight pm tonight thanks to Chris Ulman's excellent documentary which you can watch on liin skarn News dot com dot au. It would put all of that to bed. And we know what a sham it's all been. They don't want to admit that they could have got things wrong.
Speaker 4: The other bit of rankocracy here is do you remember when Australia changed its vote regarding Palestine just the other day and Penny Wong explained it thus she said, well, all these other countries are going that way, so we are just joining with the rest of the world. When we had the vote on the voice, we were told we must vote yes, otherwise the rest of the world will be laughing at us. But here we come to pretty simple commitments to nuclear power, where there's I think thirty one major nations are all committing to triple the amount of power they generate from nuclear and suddenly the government isn't concerned about being on the outer no, no, being in the minority. Suddenly, okay, well you can't have it both ways. You can't argue we've made this decision because we want to be part of the international community, and then on another issue say, oh no, no, we don't need to be part of the community.
Speaker 3: It's just hypocrisy.
Speaker 5: To the second splash on the front of the oars, coupled with this beautiful photo of Albo grinning from it to air between kir Starmer of the UK and Jijingping of China, the head reads z PM taut best relations in decade. Jijinping is pushing Anthony Albanesi to fight against protectionism in the wake of Donald Trump's pledge to impose sixty percent tariffs on Chinese imports. What a boss. As the leaders declared, China Australia relations had returned to levels not observed since the twenty fourteen Free Trade agreement. So here they are playing besties, both thumbing their noses at Trump saying, well, not go your way. We're going to be Romaine besties. There's no sixty percent tariffs here. I mean, it's it's totally expected, isn't it. But at the same time, who wouldn't rather a terrombian figure being like, we're not taking your crap anymore. We're not going to be as reliant on China as we have been, and we're going to push back a little.
Speaker 2: But Gen needs, you know, in a tech dog to go and take up the fight to Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: So he tapped Anthony Albert easy on the shoulder.
Speaker 6: Is very young of all the people, Oh yeah, handsome boy.
Speaker 4: The amazing thing about the front page of Tomorrow's Australian is could you imagine a photograph where the leader of the UK and Australia are so happy beside Donald Trump? You can't, but there's a photo of them beside the leader of the major commonest nation in the world or looking very chummy. What a time to be alive. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Every parent's nightmare a brown snake in her toddler's bedroom, and then worse on the beach in Western Australia.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 4: I reckon all those Democrat voters in the US saying they're going to leave America and move to Australia. Now Trump is president, will be thinking again after they see some of these clips, because no.
Speaker 3: One likes snakes.
Speaker 4: Renee Pallister from Old June Out near Woggle Wogger went into her four year old daughter's bedroom the other day and found this right beside her daughter's bed.
Speaker 3: Have a look at the vision.
Speaker 8: Not exactly what you.
Speaker 2: Want to find in your baby's room when you come home.
Speaker 8: It's quite a long snake.
Speaker 2: We're going to try and get a capture to come and relocate it because yeah, okay great.
Speaker 4: Fortunately she found the snake before her daughter went into the bedroom. But this next clip gives me the shivers. This is on a beach in Cougie in Perth. Have a look at this snake just crawling casually along the sand.
Speaker 3: Beach goer is completely unaware.
Speaker 16: Straysuls of water all the water that's around oursand.
Speaker 4: I just can't get over. People are just casually lying on the beach. They've got their beach gear set up, not knowing that this snake is coming straight towards them. Like, I don't get the cool music to that, because that does not cause me any relaxation.
Speaker 1: See me to tramps over.
Speaker 5: Favorite moment from cop to date if you can have a favorite moment for such a shin dig. All the world leaders grabbed together for their monumental the group we are Running the World photo, and it wasn't until they disbanded that someone realized, where's Biden your where are they.
Speaker 14: Tell Biden on the week for Biden guys, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Trudelon the Grandpa's already an.
Speaker 2: Afterthought indeed, And speaking of US politics, I'm normally more of a classic FM man, but have had this guy. Andre and Tunes has put the best of the reactions to Trump's election to heavy Metal with.
Speaker 8: You, with You and your Sister.
Speaker 2: That may well be the only time in my life I say heavy metal is a work of art.
Speaker 3: I gotta say I quite liked that. That's it. From Us to the Ground.
Speaker 4: Coming up is the readA Pennety show, Good Night