Speaker 1: This is the US Report with James Morrow.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight. Kamala Harris hits the road and it's too much for even our ABC mom Doddie Madness in New York City. But is there hope? The Radical socialist is going to go down in flames? And third term? What third term? Inside the greatest troll of the Trump presidency. But first I'm going to get to the latest on the government shutdown in a moment and how it is backfiring politically on Democrats. But first I want to talk about the ongoing civil war within the Democrat Party and how once fringe radicals are winning the battle for the soul of America's left, with huge implications for next year's midterm elections. Now as evidence of just how bonkers some on the left have got, have a look at this. This is a woman called Jennifer Welch. She's a left wing podcaster, very popular, and she is also now openly calling for violence against conservatives. Indeed, she thinks these threats are the solutions to the left woes. Have a look.
Speaker 3: Finally, if you think the Zorn thing is happening, just in New York. And you think people are waking up only in New York City, You're mistaken. Look at this clip of a wine mom at the No King's March.
Speaker 1: Play the clip.
Speaker 4: The word's name was Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 1: Maam, yeah, him is horrible, horrible. Charlie Kirk is horrible. Yes, I'm glad he's not here.
Speaker 5: You're glad he's dead.
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Why would you say something like that matter?
Speaker 7: He was horrible on the campuses the college campus is horrible person.
Speaker 5: You know what I do the exact same thing. Would you be glad if I would die?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'd have to think about it.
Speaker 4: You should be ashamed of yourself, ashamed of yourself. My friend just said she'd be happy if I died.
Speaker 3: So listen, at Democratic Establishment. You can either jump on board with this or we're coming after you in the same way that we come after Maga period.
Speaker 2: You know, I've often joked on this show about how the left wants the right dead, But you know what, I don't think they're kidding. And there was more advice from her for the Democrat political establishment.
Speaker 3: Kudos to Bernie, to aoc, to Zoron and that woman out in somewhere Middle America saying Charlie Kirk, he was a racist, he was a piece. There are so many more of us than there are of them.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, you can say, sure, fine, this is just one woman ranting into a podcast mic. She bought an office works. But guess what she shows us. She represents where that party is going, and it's causing a huge split within the Democrats. Now, I'll tell you about a fascinating report on a new website called Welcome Stack, which seems to be run by more centrist Democrats who are worried about where their party is going and whether it will ever be electable again. Here's a bit of a video they put up analyzing their plight.
Speaker 4: But as the influence of advocacy groups grew largely through social media, Democrats moved left fast. In Congress, support for progressive bills like the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, and student loan det cancelation more than doubled. Comparing the Democratic platform in twenty twelve to twenty twenty four reveals a sharp leftward shift and an abandonment of the working class focus that drove the party's success.
Speaker 2: Indeed, as far as that Democrat Party platform goes, well, they weren't kidding now in twenty twelve, these were the first sentences of the Democrat Party platform. Quote. Today our economy is ohing again, al kenda is weaker than at any points as nine to eleven, and our manufacturing sector is growing for the first time in more than a decade. But there is more we need to do, and so we come together to continue what we started. Now, that was the Democrats in twenty twelve sounds very normal, very Middle America, very dare I say electable, And indeed they were because that was the year that Barack Obama was reelected. But fast forward twelve years to twenty twenty four, and this report notes that the official Democrat Party platform, the one by the way that Joe Biden and then Kamala Harris ran on, opened like this quote the Democratic National Committee, which is to acknowledge that we gather together to state our values on lands that have been stewarded through many centuries by the ancestors and descendants of tribal nations who have been here since time immemorial. Unquote phew, And it took four full paragraphs of this turgent undergraduate nonsense to get to anything recognizable as a policy platform in twenty twenty four. And within that too, was a massive decline over that time in the frequency of words between the two platforms they used to describe things people cared about. According to this analysis, between those two platforms, references to jobs went down forty seven percent, mentions the economy went down forty eight percent, the middle class down seventy nine percent, the nation seventeen percent, in America down six percent. Meanwhile, the term father or fathers disappeared entirely from the platform, down one hundred percent. And guess what took their place? The bag Increases were seen in references to race, climate, gunsl GBTQY, plus the word hate, equity, and of course, my favorite, environmental justice. Not surprisingly, this took place over a period when there was a huge drop in patriotism amongst Democrats. Sets up blue lines the bottom of your screen where thirty six percent, just thirty six percent, one third say they are proud to be an American versus Republicans. That's the top red line ninety two percent. Now Andrew Cuomo he is the Democrat turned independent candidate for New York City Mayor. He built the cat on this problem a couple of days ago.
Speaker 8: The truth is there's a quiet civil war going on in the Democratic Party right now. You have an extreme left, radical left. Bernie Sanders AOC Mamdani is just the banner carrier for that movement versus the mainstream moderate Democrats. They now call me moderate. They used to call me liberal. Now I'm a moderate because the whole party shifted.
Speaker 2: Look guess what Andrew Cuomo is right, And if the Democrats continued down this radical path of hating America, not wanting to talk about the economy, obsessing over identity politics, still well, they may win in New York City, where that sort of thing is fashionable, but they've got no future nationally. And that's great news for Trump and MAGA and the Republicans. But maybe I'm just gonna put it out there. Maybe this actually is the real threat to democracy that they keep warning about, and that is not having an opposition worthy of the name. Now we'll start talking to some of our guests in a moment, But also we need to talk about this government shutdown which is dragging on and on and is seeing now air traffic controllers furloughed. That's bad and welfare benefits due to be cut off from the first of November. Democrats thought they were on to a winner with this strategy, withholding the votes needed in the Senate to pass a continuing resolution essentially supply in Australian terms. But guess what, not so much. It's not working out for them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you might think, given that the Republicans are in charge of both the House and the Senate, that a government shutdown might actually hurt the Republican brand, but in fact it hasn't.
Speaker 1: If anything, it's been.
Speaker 9: Helped a little bit. Take a look here the shift in net popularity versus pre shutdown among the g When we're looking at the Republican Party overall, that brand actually up two points. That's within the margin of verrap but clearly it hasn't dropped. Come over this side of the screen, look at the net approval ratings for Republicans in Congress. It's actually up five points since pre shutdown. So what we're seeing here is the Republican brand in Congress has actually improved.
Speaker 2: Somewhat, and not even CNN's Jake Tapper. Jake Tapper is buying the Democrats' excuses.
Speaker 10: This is a choice by the White House.
Speaker 9: This is also and this is also a choice by Senate Democrats to not vote open the government.
Speaker 11: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: I understand why they're doing it.
Speaker 12: They're doing it because they want Medicaid funds restored.
Speaker 9: They're doing it because they want Obamacare premiums to be extended past the end of the year.
Speaker 1: I understand the reason.
Speaker 2: Tapper and Americans have woken up to the fact that Democrats are using the pain of ordinary Americans for political gain, and they're happy to see people on so called snap food benefits go hungry in the process.
Speaker 5: Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the White House.
Speaker 13: Frankly, this is our only moment of leverage, and although a very unpleasant tool to use.
Speaker 2: Their only leverage. Did you hear that letting people go hungry to apply political pressure to Republicans so they can get their wish list, which includes, by the way, giving taxpayer funded healthcare to illegal aliens. It's really unpleasant behavior, sure, but I think it's also for everybody else a real moment of clarity. Joining me now is Guy news Washington analyst Analyse Nielsen Annalys. Welcome to the program. Well, lots of news happening on the international front. President Trump met with his Chinese Counterpartjesian Ping yesterday in Busan, South Korea, and the pair announced a historic Well I know, if it's a trade deal or a trade agreement or a trade hey, let's not have this fight now, Annalise, what do we know about what has been agreed so far?
Speaker 14: Well, look, nothing in writing. And so I think what you said at the end there, let's not fight now, is pretty much where we're at. But that is a development of sorts because this has been looming over America for some time. We've already seen a lot of flow on effects, quite a few flow on effects, I should say, from the tariffs coming in earlier this year, and they were supposed to be more coming in November first. So this is at least a daytont It shows that they do want to work together, and it shows that Donald Trump really does just want to replicate what he did the first time around, and he's aware how significant it would be if things were cut off from China. More significantly, American consumers do rely on so much from China and it would be a real hit to their quality of life if it was taken away from them. There's a big chunk of the American population that says they're happy to do that because they want to support American made they want to support American jobs. But a lot of people will feel that hurt. And that's obviously something Donald Trump just doesn't want to put into play right now. And I think also with him just making that truth social post about saying that it's going to be the two gi meeting, that that's really elevating the US and China to being those two big superpowers, and so I think that was a message to the rest of the world as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with that completely. But one of the things that I thought was very interesting too is that there seems to be at the moment a one year time limit on this that Jijinping has said, Well, we're going to kick out any sort of restraints on rare earth minerals exports for a year. At the same time, you're going to have allowances for soybean farmers in the US to get that access to Chinese markets a year from now is the midterm elections? Is this about trying to delay any economic pain coming from a trade war with China until after those midterms? Because of course Donald Trump wants to hold the Congress, and if he doesn't, then his whole agenda could be crueled twelve months from now.
Speaker 14: Look, that would be very much front of mine. Donald Trump doesn't want to lose control of Congress. It's already they're having a hard enough time as it is with the government shut down continuing. But I think for those who watched the last time around, they've been saying, look, the deals they made last time fell apart within a matter of months at best, and so there is every chance that this could fall apart. I think with the critical minerals piece of it, the advantage is still there for China at this point in time. They own most of the critical minerals that we want in the world, and they own ninety percent of the processing. And even with all the money that we've now said is going to be put online for Australia to be processing and cultivating rare earth minerals selling to the US and the US buying from Australia, we still rely on Chinese processing. So I think this is just them keeping their own side of the Ledger in balance for the time being and saying we'll work with you, but they're still not giving away much yet. And the other thing we didn't hear about was what's happening with this TikTok sale. They've said that the Chinese have approved for the part to be spun off to be owned by the US. But that's a big deal here as well. We saw some really intense lobbying about that, and so there's a lot of goodwill, it seems like from this first meeting, but not a lot of detail yet.
Speaker 2: Well, it seems to me, you know, that for as much as there's rhetoric around decoupling the economies of these two nations, the two g superpowers, I guess you'd say, they seem to be getting more and more enmeshed, whether it's about who processes whose rare earth, who sells agricultural products to whom? Is commerce potentially the great sort of engine that could head off a hotter conflict between the US and China. I e. Neither nation can really afford to go to war with one another them because they need the other too much.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, And what we're looking at is when we've been talking about the rising tensions politically between the US and China, the thing we always talk about is especially in Australia. As China's ambitions to annex Taiwan. The only thing really stopping that is semiconductors, and the US knows that they've tried, and they don't know how to make the semiconductors the way the Taiwanese do. The Chinese know the same, and so that's very valuable in between. And that's of course also influenced by rare earth minerals. And I think there's also just this element from the US that they just don't want to be involved in overseas conflicts. We see Trump relish in stopping overseas conflicts. He says he's solved seven out of the eight wars on his watch, and he's got just Ukraine and Russia left. And so there would be zero appetite for the US to have to get involved if China wanted to annex Taiwan. I know, at a retail level in politics in America, no one would be very excited about that. And so I think they've all just realized what the cards that they have are on the table. And if Donald Trump is going to take a hit for the economy, you're right, he wouldn't want to do it. Before midterms. He'd probably want to do it on his way out, but he also wants to lay on a high this time. I think that's still smarting for him from last time around.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's right. He finally before I let you go, though, you know, for all the talk of peace and amity and doing business together, the President also announced before his meeting with Jijinping that the US Department of War is to immediately begin testing nuclear weapons on an equal basis with other nuclear powers. Now this seemed, you know, at first, made huge headlines. Oh my gosh, they're gonna be having you know, mushroom clouds in the desert again. Well not so much. But tell us about this and what the aim of this particular bit of I guess you'd call it saber rattling?
Speaker 15: Is here?
Speaker 2: Who is this targeting? Is it aimed at? Putin is named g What's what's the audience for this message?
Speaker 14: Well, it did seem to come right after the Russians announced that they conducted their own tests. They've developed nuclear missiles that can go underwater to target coastal towns. Where we are in Washington, DC isn't all that far away from the coast if we're going to start talking about nukes. So I think there was just that, well, if he's going to flex his muscles, I'm going to flex mine. It doesn't make a ton of sense if you're not actually testing new technology. And so without them saying we've developed something new we're going to try out, it really does seem like it's you show me mine, I'll show you yours kind of one upping. And this is the Trump approach. He says he has peace through strength and he doesn't want to look weak. That has worked before. But I don't know how popular it's going to be testing nukes. They haven't done it in the US in thirty years, and I was reading that apparently the only state where they can actually do it logistically is Nevada, which is something of a swing state. And so I don't know if Trump put into that too close to midterms either. It's really far out in the desert, but apparently it could shake some buildings in Las Vegas, So I don't know if that would be all that popular.
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The old days, back in the fifties and sixties, you know, they used to have atomic parties at the Las Vegas casinos, and you could sit on the roof of the big hotels and watch the mushroom clouds. Go analyze, Niels. We're gonna have to leave with there. Thank you so much for your time, Thank you well. Joining me now is former White House Chief of Staff and senior advisor of Bondai Partners, Mick mulvaney. Mick, thanks for joining me. I want to talk about the government shutdown in a moment, but before we do that, I do want to get your thoughts on this latest trip of Donald Trump through North Asia. You were, of course there on that famous delegation when Donald Trump met with Kim Jong un in North Korea. No such meeting this time. But what do you make of the deal that he cut he seems to have cut with Jijinping to avert a trade war. Is this piece in our time or is it more worryingly piece in our time?
Speaker 17: Yeah, James, And I gotta tell you, I was watching the watching the events this week, just expecting him to sort of magically show up at the DMZ again just like he did back in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: Team.
Speaker 17: Disappointingly, it didn't happen. I'm sort of looking at the deal. I guess if that's the word we can use for it. It's not really an agreement. It's certainly not a formal agreement. It's a daytant. Essentially, what's gonna happen is the Chinese have agreed not to put limitations on rarers for the next year. We've agreed to cut back on the terrafs for a period of time. It's sort of a day tan. This is I encourage people to look at this sort of similarly to the way we looked at the relationship we had with the Soviet Union back during the Cold War. This is more of a cold piece and there's now a Dayton and they'll end up, you know, trying to continue the conversation. And that's why I think there's tremendous value here. It's not peace in our time. It's not the end of the discussion, but at least it's the beginning of the discussion, and it sounds like things are moving in the right direction. It's always important, James, always important when you've got two leaders like this, that if one of them picks up the phone to call the other one, the other one answers the phone, and I think they reaffirmed here on this visit that that what happen that if Trump needs to talk to she or vice versa, the communications will continue. I think that's that's unambiguously a good thing.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely a good thing. That it's when there's not communication that real crises can occur. But you've got two very different systems here, and both want to be the dominant superpower. Is this pushing down the road some sort of eventual conflict or do you think it will just you know, I know it's a long way to sort of be projecting, but are we looking at decades of kind of hotter and colder cold war with China, just as we did in the twentieth century see that with the Soviet Union.
Speaker 17: You know, there's a school of thought here on the right especially that says or believes there, or at least argues that military confrontation with China is inevitable in the next ten, fifteen, twenty years.
Speaker 1: I don't buy it.
Speaker 17: One of the reasons I sort of like the Detante and I consider it to be a huge success is that it starts to buy the time to figure out a way to get along, to figure out a wa to sort of allow the Chinese to pursue their national interests, allow us to pursue ours without negatively impacting our friends in the larger say, global economy, global stability, et cetera. Keep in mind, China has become very very wealthy, very very fast. It is a communist nation, so it doesn't function the way that Australia and the US does. It's not in that first tier of nations. How often have we talked about this? Can you imagine what the world would have said if Australia had kept information about COVID so private like the Chinese did. It would never happen in a democracy, doesn't happen in first tier countries, and China is not there yet, but maybe this and other things over the course of the next years they can get there. So look, and anytime you can put off a trade war, it's a good thing. But anybody who can predict the future is probably just rolling the dice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I no trade wars as well as hot wars. Hey tell you also, who is not getting along right now? It's Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill. I spoke at the start of the show about the government shutdown. Here sectors around the country are feeling the effects. But now we're seeing the air traffic controllers and other aviation workers apparently being fed by airlines after not receiving their paychecks. Tell us how the politics of this are playing out, because of course they need sixty votes in the Senate and the Democrat the Republicans do not have those to keep the money moving here. At what point are the Democrats going to say this is hurting us more than it's hurting the Republicans.
Speaker 17: That's the sixty four thousand dollars question, because right now both sides think they are winning, and that is a formula for a continued shut down.
Speaker 1: Just like the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 17: You're not going to get people to come to the table until they feel like they get a better deal at the table than they get in the field. Right now, both parties feel like they are getting a better deal in the field and they are winning the battle politically.
Speaker 1: I don't see it.
Speaker 17: Ending anytime soon. I think if you watch the pressure points, airlines is one of them.
Speaker 1: Air travel. We're coming up on our Thanksgiving.
Speaker 17: Holiday here three weeks, one of the heaviest travel periods of the entire year. Many of the airlines today came out verb vocally in support of a clean funding deal. Many of the airline unions, which tend to lean Democratic, came out in favor of opening the government along the lines that Republicans have suggested already. So those pressure points will continue to boil as pressure points on things like healthcare subsidies and premiums. There's pressure points on food stamps and so other nutrition assistance programs.
Speaker 1: A lot of different pressure.
Speaker 17: Points, but none of them have added up yet to convincing either of the parties to go to the table. So I guess as when you know I talk next week, the government may will still be closed.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's not great news there if that's the case here. But one of the things that I'm sort of interested in is the polls. The polls seem to be indicating that it's not hurting Republicans in the way that previous government shutdowns that you know, I've spoken about, we've spoken about, and that I've lived through and watched have in the past. Are Americans becoming a bit savvier to the way congressional systems work, and that just because you know, somebody like Gavin Newsom comes down and says, oh, well, they've got control. Well, it doesn't mean that they've got a parliamentary control in the same way, you know, than it might somewhere else.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think people just realize, you know, who's responsible for Obamacare. We tried to shut down the government and did shut down the gouver twenty thirteen because we didn't want to fund Obamacare, and people say, oh, h someone's not funding Obamacare.
Speaker 1: That's Republican.
Speaker 17: In twenty nineteen, we shut the government down over border security, and people are thinking, well, I know who's for border security.
Speaker 1: That's Republicans.
Speaker 17: And now we're shut down over wanting we spend more money on Obamacare, and everybody knows who wants to do that.
Speaker 1: That's the Democrats. So even if you.
Speaker 17: Don't follow politics very closely in this country, you sort of know who's on the side of spending more money on Obamacare, which is what's really at the heart of this particular shutdown. So yeah, I think people are sort of waking up. They understand, you know, a little bit about how said it works, not a lot. Filibuster is probably not something that the ordinary American understands, but they if you have some what party, you know, wants to spend money on healthcare.
Speaker 1: That's going to be the Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Philip Buster has been like the infield fly rule of politics. Hey, speaking of Trump too. Also, we spoke a bit about this last week here about this idea of the third term. Well, he recently poured cold water on the idea. And this is what the president had to say.
Speaker 12: I have my highest ball numbers that I've ever had, and you know, based on what I read.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm not allowed to run. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: You're true wanting when you talk about a third term.
Speaker 15: Well, I don't leak.
Speaker 1: I don't think I don't think he said that. I don't think he'd used that term. But uh, it's a very interesting thing.
Speaker 12: I have the best numbers for any president in many years, any president, and I would say that if you read it, it's pretty clear I'm not allowed to run. Stupid, I miss stupid. But we have a lot of great people.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to me, though, that he, even though he seems to pour cold water on it. Donald Trump just loves to try old people with the idea that oh I might go outside the law, and then does it end every single time. It seems like the left of the media and the Democrats jump right at the bait.
Speaker 17: It's catting it for them. They cannot turn it down, and he plays it to a t. My favorite sort of part of this subtext this conversation about a third term is when he called Schumer and he called Chuck Schumer, the Republican in the Senate, and the King Jefferies the leading excuse me, democrat in the Senate, and the King Jeffery's Democrat in the House into the Oval office to talk about the shutdown, and he had a Trump twenty twenty eight hat on the desk as they walked in. He does this on purpose and it works masterfully. So look, you know the name Mark Levin, he's a leading conservative voice in media here, and he went posted something on Twitter just the other day and said, look, the man's not running. He's telling you he's not running. Let's move on to the next topic. What's some good like Mark Levin is telling you that. It means that everybody pretty much has assumed on the right that he's not running again because he can't. And as you heard in that clip, even he knows that the constant too she prevents.
Speaker 1: That from happening.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right. Hey, finally, before I let you go, speaking of things that are and are not allowed, We've had a report into the autopen scandal here arguing that any executive action signed by autopen without written proof of Biden's approval should be avoided. And that's the House Oversight Committee saying that, and the House Traney General Pam Bondi has also announced that her offs is reviewing the use of the autopen. Look, we've spoken about this before. We don't really know who was running the show. There, Is there anything that's ever going to come of this? Or is this just going to be another big asterisk against the Biden presidency in the record books.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 17: As critical as I have been and will continue to be of Biden's presidency and also his mental ability, his capabilities while he was president, I don't think he should ever run for reelection.
Speaker 1: You and I've talked about that many many times.
Speaker 17: I don't think there's going to be much that the Republicans can do about.
Speaker 1: The auto pen.
Speaker 17: The president, I'm or President Biden didn't put out a statement this week. For example, it said that he approved the all of the pardons unless you have evidence otherwise, I'm not sure how you overcome that. And while the Republicans have circumstantial evidence that says, well, you know he did. Joe Biben didn't meet with his staff very often there, at least as often as other presidents, that doesn't mean anything. So I don't know if the Republics are ever going to find the hard evidence that they need in order to establish it the use of the auto pen was unauthorized and therefore void ab initio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And you know, I think I'll always have my suspicions though about that, as you may well as.
Speaker 1: Well, games as you well should.
Speaker 2: And when we talk about Biden putting out a statement, yeah, we wonder how much time he actually spent crafting it. Bick Movady, thanks so much for your time. As always, stick around. We got to hit a short break. But when we get back, we're going to head to the Big Apple where there just maybe a chance I'm hoping that Zora mom Dommy is headed for a step defeat. I don't know, but we can only hope. In the meantime, though, remember those No King's protests against Donald Trump, Well, they didn't get the message in South Korea.
Speaker 13: You present this bull drops to.
Speaker 14: You on the joist occasion of your state visit to Kung Chu, because.
Speaker 16: The symbolizes the spirit of Shillah has.
Speaker 15: Brought piece of the Korean peninsula for.
Speaker 14: The first time, and there'll be the bolden age of the Korea US Alliance.
Speaker 2: That's right, they gave him an honest to God crown. I know he used to work with McDonald's, but batter the great troll of Trump started doing shifts at Burger King for this very reason. Anyway, buckle up off to New York after the break. Welcome back to the program. Well, it is coming down to the last few days of the most important election underway in the United States right now, and I speak, of course about the New York City mayoral election, where the Democrats socialist Zoroon mom Donnie is poised to take control of the most important city in America, promising hard left economics, free bus rides, rent freezes, and government run grocery stores. Joining me now for the final word ahead of New York's barrel race election is the New York Post City Hall Bureau Chief Craig McCarthy. Craig, thanks for joining me here on the US report. Now, a trio of polls your paper has reported show Zoron Mom Donnie with varying leads over ex Governor Andrew Cuomo here in the home stretch, ranging from ten to twenty five points. Craig, is there any chance of Andrew Cuomo staging a comeback, a fight back here in the last days of the election?
Speaker 5: No, I mean at this point.
Speaker 6: Listen, the last three polls that came out over the last twenty four hours showed Zoron Manzani with a commanding twelve to eighteen sixteen point lead in this race. You know, the question with polsters now isn't about whether Zoron will or not.
Speaker 5: It'll be you know, how.
Speaker 6: Much he wins by at this point, There's seemingly nothing that Andrew Cmo has been able to do over the last few months at this point to even cut into that lead. He's barely been able to break into thirty percent until Eric Adams, who.
Speaker 5: Is the sitting mayor who is running for.
Speaker 6: Reelection, until the abandon that bid dropped out of the race recently.
Speaker 2: Tell me what is the current feeling in New York City ahead of this election? I mean, are people hopeful or optimistic about what Mom Donnie is promising and what he's promising to bring, because an awful lot of people don't speak to are really really nervous about what he could do, especially people who lived through the pre Giuliani era in New York. To have a guy who talks about defunding the police and driving out the tax base seems like it's a potential disaster.
Speaker 5: Well, at this point, you know, voters are split.
Speaker 6: He hasn't been able to coalesce a majority of New Yorkers behind him. You know, a poll that came out the other day from the right leading Manhattan institute, you know, pointed.
Speaker 18: Out that a lot of his principles are a lot of his, a lot of his his proposals, the free buses, the city run food stores, the I mean, aside from universal child's care, most of these things don't pull well with.
Speaker 5: A majority of people.
Speaker 6: And the you know, the business community is obviously very nervous about this because he said he's proposed attacks on the on the wealthiest and the corporations, and you know, the real estate communities slightly is a lot worried about him because of his pledges to freeze the rent in something we have in New York City that are rent stabilized apartments.
Speaker 5: So there's a there's a little bit of a shift here.
Speaker 6: But you know, democrats are have been coalescing behind him, with the establishment coming out from people like Kathy Hochel or Keim Jefferys begrudgingly endorsing him over the last little bit. Who are some of the top democrats in the stainless of DC.
Speaker 2: And what about some of these cultural issues around him. I mean, your paper, I believe, reported that his mother's or on Mam Donnie's own mother, who herself is quite a prominent filmmaker, said that chief things her son as not an American at all her words and that quote he thinks to himself as a Ugandan and an Indian. And others have seized on his comments about nine to eleven and talking about his aunt who wasn't actually his aunt, who said she felt uncomfortable taking the train after nine to eleven because she wore a heat job. Well, I mean, I'm glad he did find who the real victims of that terror attack was, But how was all this going down?
Speaker 5: I think what we're.
Speaker 6: Seeing right now in New York City when it comes at is a shift in the electorate and this shift of the Democrat and the base here. Right, So we're talking about somebody who is an immigrant who his mother said he didn't feel American at that time.
Speaker 5: This interview was twenty thirteen. He came to this country he was seven. He was became a US citizen in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: But there's been this shift and what you know, Andrew Como, the things you're bringing up about the ant and the things you're bringing about about nine to eleven. Obviously it being in New York City, a lot of these things have been shifting in the sense of those are a tacks he was trying to land on that which would traditionally in the same thing coming with anti sentism, right, So a lot of these things have come up with that and the.
Speaker 5: Shift of the base.
Speaker 6: The big blocks of voters in here are no longer the Jewish vote and the Black vote, and more of the of the the Indian and the Chinese vote in New York City. It's just a shifting demographic right now. And I think a lot of these things have been from a lot of you know, attacks and all these kind of political maneuvering that have tried to create some fear, you know, some bad negative press behind him to try to get support to Andrew Cromo.
Speaker 5: But as I was saying, none of it has really moved the needle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's fascinating what you're saying about the demographics there and the shifting ethnic demographics of political power in New York. Have the Cuomo people or the mam Donni foes I guess to put it another way, have they made a tactical error here in bringing up cultural attacks that would play well with people who wouldn't vote for mom Donni anyway, instead of focusing on you know, the real negative effects of defunding the police, which mom Donnie has had to run away from having said a million times in the past, from his economics which the middle and working class would pay the price for, and that sort of campaigning.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the problem that they've had with this campaign is, and this is from talking with tons of political experts and people who run campaigns, is, you know, regardless of what you agree with his policy from Zormandani, he has run a very hopeful campaign.
Speaker 19: Right.
Speaker 5: It's not dooming gloom of New York City. Everything is horrible. It's New York City is great.
Speaker 6: We want to make it better, and trying to run a negative campaign against aid Chipley just does not resonate with voters, especially somebody like Andrew Cuomo has been dogged about coming in as kind of you know, coming in from Westchester as a carpetbacker and coming in to try to run the city. Because trying to use this as an end to come in come back into political relevance. I think that's a big thing with this with this race, and again you can even see with Democratic voters. He was on a famous podcast this week, and Andrew Schultz's comedian even said he's like, I'm not a socialist.
Speaker 5: I don't agree with all.
Speaker 6: Of your policies, nearly any of them. However, you're coming in this with some ideas and some hope and not this doom and gloom. And that's why he was supporting him. So I think there's and again this what I was saying against the with.
Speaker 5: The polls across.
Speaker 6: The city of his ideals and his ideas and these policies is they don't have overwhelming support, but they Democrats, and in the era that we have with President Trump and the sparring with them. They're looking for somebody who's going to fight for them, and I think that it doesn't even matter a lot of times if they agree with all of the policies or even at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you mentioned Donald Trump there, because this brings me to my next question. Here has zoron Mom Donnie in a weird sort of way, hit on a very New York urban ethnic version of the Trump formula I positivity and huge, huge social media presence. I mean, are the Democrats starting to crack this ode here that's made Trump so successful?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's I think looking at the historic perspective of this, right, like when Trump came into office, he tapped into Twitter, and he tapped into a lot of these things that Obama did during his initial campaign, which used Facebook, and now we're onto the next iteration of that, which is Instagram and TikTok and these these produced videos. Obviously him coming from a movie background with his mother and everything like that, obviously his benefit of knowing famous actors and celebrities and such. But yeah, I think that, like when you look at the group that he's a part of, the Democratic Socialists of America, are very similar in the sense that there they are very far left. They're very far left is as the president has has coalesced a big group of the country in the far right. And I remember in twenty sixteen that, you know, when Bernie Sanders was running and he's probably one of the better known DSA people next to AOC, when he was running for president against Hillary Clinton. Once that election ended, I remember one of my friends, who was a correction officer, coming to me and saying, I was a big Bernie supporter, but now I ended up and I'm voting for Trump. And this is like what we call pussics, the horseshoe theori. As you go so far left right, you end up kind of as the same kind of person, the same kind of party.
Speaker 2: Absolutely fascinating, Craig McCarthy, We're going to be reading your stuff in the New York Post dot com all week long, coming up to see how this selection goes and what happens afterwards. Thank you so much for your time. Well, alrighty then John Fund is up in a tick and he's always ready to fire up. But first let's have a little fun to get us in the mood. Check out the scene at this anti ice protest, when a trans Indigenous man comes to show his support for border agents kicking out invaders.
Speaker 16: I'm trans indigenous, transdigit are you? Are you sis American? I'm trans Indigenous for ice.
Speaker 19: We love ice, love.
Speaker 16: We love ice, we love ice.
Speaker 1: Support them all.
Speaker 16: You're all trespassers on our land. Well, trans Indigenous people are Indigenous people, and you're all trespassers on and we want Bovino to de pour all of you.
Speaker 15: Guys.
Speaker 16: We love ice. Trans Natives love ice. We love you ice. We love ice.
Speaker 2: I love ice too, particularly in the drink. John Fund up next, Welcome back to the program. Well, joining me now is a great friend of the friend of the program, political journalist John fund John, thanks for coming back on the West Report in case you missed it, because we've had a bit of news here in Australia. Kamala Harris showed up on Australian television this week ahead of a speaking tour and continued her run of fantastic media appearances. Here's just a little bit of her interview with the ABC's Sarah Ferguson.
Speaker 20: But wasn't Joe Biden then to put it on him wasn't his refusal to recognize his own frailties the reason that you faced a nearly impossible task.
Speaker 10: I ran against Donald Trump for president, and Donald Trump ran on a platform that was, in a large part, I believe, misrepresenting his intentions to the American people.
Speaker 20: I want to interrupt you, because that is a world class pivot. But it is not the question that I asked you. Are you still reluctant to criticize the former president.
Speaker 10: In what regard? Please?
Speaker 20: Well, just in terms of that question, so you what.
Speaker 10: Exactly would you like to ask? Be more specific if you don't mind.
Speaker 2: John Absolutely fascinating here, not just that our Australian ABC had the temerity to pull Kamala Harris up on this, but also that you know she's still so unwilling to start this fight with the Biden camp over what just happened in that election.
Speaker 11: Well, this is what happens a lot with Kamala Harris when her talking points to run out and they leave her mouth and start running around the room, and she can't get them back, so she's in a pickle. Her book is full of disappointments about Joe Biden and concerns about his fitness for office and regrets that she didn't intervene more and that she's gotten a lot of flak for that. Obviously, she's being told by figures in the party, you're beating up on our guy, and this is going to hurt you should you want to run for president again. So she's trying to row all of that back in the late TV interviews. It's not going to work. It just makes her look confused.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, hey, speaking of interviews here too, I want to play another clip for you of Illinois Governor JB. Pritzker talking to MSNBC's Nicole Wallace. How look at this.
Speaker 13: I haven't suggested that Donald Trump is hitler. I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think any Democrat has. I actually and I and I think it's a it's a smear that they project back on to critics.
Speaker 2: But here's a little bit of a long list of examples of Democrats doing exactly that.
Speaker 10: From John Kelly's words that Donald Trump is someone who I quote, certainly falls into the general definition of fascists.
Speaker 19: And where one side stands for freedom while the other meets the textbook definition of fascism, namely a far right dictatorial regime like Hitler's Germany.
Speaker 4: Or just to hear when you said, we do agree, President Biden believes that Donald.
Speaker 13: Trump is I mean yes, in the early days of the Nazi regime, they started slowly but surely taking away people's rights. And what we're seeing now is the very same thing.
Speaker 2: The Democrats really going to run on calling half the country Nazis again.
Speaker 11: You know, twenty five years ago, when the Internet was a baby, there was a professor named Godwin who said, the person who loses the argument is the one who brings up Hitler first in the argument. And that's what Democrats have done. And the problem is to use another analogy. They're descending even further, and they're practicing what Joseph Gebels called the big lie. And you can get away with that before the Internet. But as you can see, it was very easy for your producers and you to literally refute them within seconds on the air. I think they're trapped, and frankly, they sound as if they don't have any arguments other than name calling.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no, I think that's right. We've seen an awful lot of that here. But speaking of name calling too, White House Press Secretary Carrie Jean Pierre remember her. She has been out with her own tell all memoir about her time with President Biden. But have a look at her response to a perfectly direct question from of all places, MSNBC.
Speaker 16: Do you have any regrets at all for anything that you said while you were speaking on behalf of this administration?
Speaker 5: I'm looking.
Speaker 19: It's a simply no, no, no, because you're asking for an answer, no question.
Speaker 5: I want to put some context to it too. I'm here every day.
Speaker 14: I woke up every day very proud to be the White House pre secretary.
Speaker 6: I woke up every days as a black woman who is queer, who had never no one had ever seen.
Speaker 5: Someone like me at that podium, standing behind that lectern.
Speaker 2: Well you got to love the identity politics hit there. But the fascinating thing about this book tour, which seems to be going even worse than Kabla Harris's, is that she's actually saying some of the stuff that should be unsaid about Joe Biden. How is this all going for her? Now that she seems to be being discarded by the Democrats.
Speaker 11: Every Democrat I know who watches Karine Jean Pierre interview immediately does this, it's a complete train wreck. I mean, you could walk through her deepest thoughts and not get your ankles wet. It's pathetic. And the fact is this is a perfect reason why we're deconstructing and getting rid of Dei, because the country has to run on merit. And despite whatever identities that she wants to project to the American people, she clearly was the worst press secretary in modern American history and we just have to learn lessons from that.
Speaker 2: Well, John, thank you so much for that analysis, because that is absolutely correct. When she was in the chair, this show almost wrote itself. John, Fun thank you so much for your time. As always, Now stick around because Only in America is coming up next. But first, it's Halloween and we've barely given it its due. But over at the White House, they're having fun, especially in their social media department, and it looks like Oh hockeym Jeffries and Chuck Schumer have come over for a bit of trigger treating.
Speaker 15: He did the most tonight.
Speaker 2: I just cannot get enough of those sombreros and apparently not the can the guys of the White House stick around because Only in America is next. Welcome back to the program, and now it's time for a little segment we like to call Only in America. Well, this week's Only in America comes to us from New York via Israel, where comedy program Eritz de Heterott has done a little video of mayoral candidate Zoron Mamdani reaching out to Jewish voters.
Speaker 7: This is a message from Zorin Mamdani to the Jewish community of New York City. Hi, I'm zor And Mamdani, candidate from New York of New York City. To my Jewish friends and neighbors, shalom. Let me start by wishing you all a happy new Year, or as you say in Hebrew, into fadatovat.
Speaker 10: It's shanatova you said.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Okay, let's do it again and action, Hey to all my Jewish New Yorkers. Tonight we celebrate Roshashana with a festive family dinner and dance joyfully to the beloved song Jihada matt gil jiha.
Speaker 10: I'm pretty sure it's hav On aguila.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 7: Of course, Action, I want to reassure you I embrace all cultures. I love bagels, and I also love hamas.
Speaker 15: Humus fu.
Speaker 2: Hummus, you big schlavel not hamas Oi get vault. What kind of fuck to campaign are you're running? Well, that's all the time we have for this week, and if you're watching in New York, good luck, you're gonna need it. Bye bye