Speaker 1: Welcome to three sixty really from every angle, joining me in the great Gordon tell Us, let's bring the Journal Australian James Hooper and Dave Riccio. And it is official. Brandon Smith is a bunny. He's leaving the Sydney Roosters and it was signed and announced this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great signing for South Sydney. The few just keeps on going on and Wayne will work out how to play him. I think Brandon Smith is one of those guys that plays a great forty to fifty to sixty minutes and Bruce is probably signing for like eighty probably in hindsight is probably a mistake, but I think you'll be a good signing for South.
Speaker 2: So we've known this is happening and about to be signed.
Speaker 1: It's been spoken about on this show the past few weeks, probably three or four weeks.
Speaker 2: Now, How did it all go down?
Speaker 4: Hoops, Wayne and Brandon have been speaking for a number of weeks now. They've obviously officially announced it today.
Speaker 5: It's a two year deal. It starts next season.
Speaker 4: But where it all get interesting is whether Souse and the Roosters are obviously fierce levels and love to hate one another, can somehow negotiate Brandon possibly moving prior to June thirty this year. At this point in time, I can't say happening. The Roosters were certainly saying a hard no today, but that's changed from earlier in the week. Well, the Roosters off the back of a good win last week. I think they thought we'll hang on. Brandon actually gives us quality depth once he comes back in July, so we may well need him towards the back end.
Speaker 2: Of the Season's fair enough, Why would you?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, just quickly before I come to here, Dave, if their Roosters are paying some money and he's going to their arch enemy who have had a great start of the year. The Roosters are short on players a little bit this year, and they don't have a hell of a lot of depth, losing some senior players.
Speaker 2: In key positions.
Speaker 1: Why would you give him to them and hand them some money and so here's some extra strength to your forward pack.
Speaker 2: I just can't imagine it happening.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Look, I think there's a couple of layers to it.
Speaker 7: One I reckon both clubs need to see whether they're in finals contention at the time of when they would consider to let him go prior to June thirty or even after. I think they have to wait a little bit. Second of that is is what is the financial game? What are you taking off your salary cap to let Brandon Smith go and be around two.
Speaker 6: Hundred thousand, one hundred and five thousand. It's not that much.
Speaker 7: So what's the appeal from Russ to let him go? I say not too much.
Speaker 6: I would hang on to it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Brandon broke the news on the Buy Around podcast only hours.
Speaker 8: Ago officially signed with the Bunnies.
Speaker 9: I guess it's been happening behind closed doors for a while now, and obviously everyone pretty much knew but didn't know. So it's good to finally have it announced and look forward to being a Bunny in the next couple of years.
Speaker 8: It seemed very convenient.
Speaker 9: Wayne Bennett actually wanted me back, so it means that he's got a lot of interest in me and all just kind of the stars just aligned, and just to be able to be coached by Wayne Bennett. And I've had two amazing coaches in my career so far, and Craig and Trent and now I'll get to go to another amazing.
Speaker 8: Coach that's probably one of the best ever.
Speaker 9: So conversation with Wayne was very blunt, who was just like, I'm going to sign you, like we're going to make your bunny sweet. I'm happy at the Roosters for this year, like I'm happy to see out the contract. If they feel like they have an opportunity to let me go and bring a player in that could bring more value to some positions that they probably are lacking in value, then that's a discussion that I'd have to have with them, and that'd have to have with me. But for now, if they want me to stay, I'll stay.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's a really good signing by the Sasiny rabbit Os. Brandon Smith heading to the club now, the reason the Rooster's brought him was to play nine and they spend a lot of money in doing that. Are the Bunnies purchasing him as a nine or a thirteen?
Speaker 4: Well, Wayne's gone on the record today is saying that they've bought him as a forward, so probably similar to the role that we saw him play in Melbourne. He would spend some time at dummy half. He'd also spend some time at Locke. I think in the long run, though breath to answer your question, I think there's doubt that Souths are viewing him as a dummy.
Speaker 1: Half Okay remembers as at the club at the moment, had a really has had a really strong start of the year. He's great on the weekend against the Dragons. Where does that lead him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right, like it certainly raises immediate questions, doesn't it.
Speaker 7: However, took Hoops's point. Wayne has been at pains since this story. Broke got pains to declare that Pete Maemozoura's is at the starting nine at South and it'll be up to Brandon to prove his way into that team.
Speaker 6: I don't think can we not beat around the bullshet either here?
Speaker 7: Guys like it there is there are rumblings in and around the character of Brandon Smith on and off the field. Now, Craig Bellamy let him go, super Coachy didn't.
Speaker 5: Want to let him go. They didn't want to go. They did let him go, but they didn't let him.
Speaker 6: Go go and they usually keep who they want to keep.
Speaker 1: Trent Robinson, you think they were happy with the character of Smith Melbourn Hoops.
Speaker 4: I think that they believed he value added to their team and he'd won premierships with that club and they didn't want to let him go. I remember speaking to their chairman, Matt Tripp at the time and he said, this is war.
Speaker 5: We will not let him go.
Speaker 3: If they didn't have Wishart, they can play those roles and Harry Grant they wouldn't have. But they've got Harry Grant.
Speaker 7: Arguably Melbourne usually keep who they want to kick, and they kept Harry. Roosters Trent Robinson, Earlie coach has now let Brandon go and what an opportunity is for Brandon to.
Speaker 6: Be coached by Wayne Bennett.
Speaker 7: But there are there are questions around whether the vices off the field for Brandon staying in Sydney will still be a distraction for his football.
Speaker 4: Fanny Coach is going to get that right though, Dave, I think it's one and that's not a criticism on Robbo whatsoever, But I think, for whatever reason, from an outside point of view, it's pretty clear that Brandon has struggled to fit into the Rooster's way and the way that.
Speaker 1: If he's to fitting, none of the Roosters but he will see us because of Wayne.
Speaker 2: Why is that good?
Speaker 11: I think it's his work.
Speaker 3: I think I think, I think way deep down doesn't care what you do away from the field, as long as when you come to training you got your footy boots on and your teammates want to play with you.
Speaker 11: I played with Health that.
Speaker 3: Was a bit of a rogue and we'd be listening to the races and would ask the trainer did the horse and race six.
Speaker 11: Win or lose? Right, So I've played with those big characters.
Speaker 3: Wayne's got an ability to make sure that it doesn't affect the team, and that's what I mean. So I think Wayne's ability to just get Smith. Hey, listen, these boys here love you so for the eighty minutes on Sunday you play, but when we're here for four hours, mate, you'd be one of their best lines.
Speaker 7: The other key point is here is a lot of it comes down to how much you're paying your players, and what the Rabbits are gaining is a cut price player from what he was being paid at the Roosters. This deals in and around one point one to one point two for two seasons. That would be a good deal in most books of.
Speaker 6: Any club in the game. When you're talking about Brander, do you.
Speaker 11: Think it's a good sign of breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: I think if they again for me with Brandon, it comes down to the right price. And when you you know, I was vocal about him not being a nine from the start and the russ is paying too much for him, like and I got hammered for it for having that opinion early doors on the show.
Speaker 5: Do you still believe that, because yeah, he's not a nine.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's I wouldn't say he's he's not not a nine.
Speaker 1: Like he can play nine and do it a really good job at it, and he'll do a job there at Sous, you know, as I said, But I think for the money they paid and the ability they thought he had as a nine, it just didn't.
Speaker 2: It didn't match up. But didn't a ligne.
Speaker 1: I see him more as running forward thirteen. Who can you can throw in at nine? Move him to thirteen, mix it up, play him off the bench, you know, you know, if you get an injury at nine, have him at No. One, start him on the bench, bring him on if you need him too for Memoizulla or if you need him too for Ken Murray, for a breather or anyone else in the pack. He can play anywhere in the middle like he's a low center of gravity with late footwork who's very powerful and very dangerous close to line. He can get the quick play of the balls for the nine. That's another thing with Brandon is he probably strong point isn't identifying rock speed or you know, a marker down or you know a lazy a defender will be. He's he's just seeing seeing a gap and taking it and running hard. You know that That's how's his strength, and his strength would be getting quick player the balls.
Speaker 2: As I said for the spine. You know, so I wouldn't use him as a genuine nine. I never have.
Speaker 3: The energy that he uses in his runs, right, And I've played with like Michael Hancocks are saying when they go and they use that explosive energy, they run out of petrol quicker. But you get someone that goes and they pass and they run, they can play eighty minutes. I don't want him to play that way. If I want him play eighty minutes, well I bought the wrong guy.
Speaker 5: Now he's a bulldog the way and he wanted to run.
Speaker 11: Out of petrol. And when he runs out of petrol, you put someone on the finish.
Speaker 1: That's why I think he's a goodbye who's because that's if House used him that way, that's exactly what they need.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I think that's a great buyer for Souths and I think Wayne can be the coach who flicks the switch and gets him back on track. What surprises me is the Roosters don't normally make mistakes in the area of recruitment and retention, and in this instance, I think history shows that they got this one badly wrong and it will have a flow on effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't get it wrong. I think that'd openly admit that would they dave.
Speaker 7: They would, And to the point of which we will get to a point through the season where this discussion point about letting Brandon go will come up again and that will be the indication of Okay, we've heard here.
Speaker 3: May spiry like Roosters fans at home business, why are we losing so many players? Well there's another one.
Speaker 1: Right, what about Cody Walker and the Bunnies. He's off contract. Are they going to resign him?
Speaker 6: I believe they will break certainly every indication.
Speaker 7: Talking to South's management today, they've indicated that they've already kickstarted some initial talks in retaining Cody Walker.
Speaker 6: He'll be thirty six next.
Speaker 7: Year, boys in January next year, but he he is not playing like a thirty five thirty six year old.
Speaker 6: He's still commanding the ball and.
Speaker 7: Running that football side with a rookie Jamie Humphries beside him, and everything indicates that he will be retained next to you on a twelve month deal.
Speaker 1: Twelve month deal, okay, so one year deal. So it's similar to the DC situation. Although Cody's happy with the twelve months deal. Everything, well, that's just what Sous are going to offer.
Speaker 6: That's the minus thing is that that's what they'll put forward at that point in time.
Speaker 7: And I reckon what price he's he's seven hundred and six to fifty seven hundred for me, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: And how will that go with Humphreys only on one fifty, they'll probably have to upgrade him.
Speaker 2: Ye, died on six. I believe it's sixty seven, yeah, fifty, So that's all.
Speaker 6: Well, they've got a jigsaw puzzle hundred percent spot on.
Speaker 7: They've got Jiy Gray in the background too, right, who can play in the halves and obviously Humphrey's Humphreys is on contract for two seasons this season and next, but at some point.
Speaker 6: In well, they haven't gone there yet. Let's just call the Jets. It's two games in.
Speaker 7: They know that they're going to have to have a look at that contract if he continues to progress the way he is.
Speaker 4: It's early doors, Dave, but they might have to make a hard call on Lewis Dodd.
Speaker 5: It sounds brutal.
Speaker 4: He hasn't even laced a boot and run out in an NRL game, yet they've signed a year deal. Well, I think Christian Wolf had some interest in him at the Dolphins prior to him signing the Souths. Perhaps they try and open that pipeline or if not, But I'm just not sure what you do. You're asking the questions about how it all fits together. I'm saying, well, if you've got a bloke on that amount of money, given what we've seen from Humphreys, I know it's only.
Speaker 5: Early doors, but he looks.
Speaker 2: Want God.
Speaker 5: Well, it depends what shakes he has.
Speaker 6: He has to shouting cup, that's his only chance.
Speaker 1: He can't play reserve grade Super League reserve grade NURL and then have an NL club cod He's it's not going to happen.
Speaker 7: The only only chance breath is if South chip in significantly. They may have to with heops, you can't have a six hundred thousand dollars reserve greater on your books, but maybe you can have a three hundred thousand and you tip in three undred.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about Latrell Mitchell really good news here for him and the fans, looking super fit and maybe an early return.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Ferrari was out of the garage training today.
Speaker 4: Have a look at him. He looks a million bucks Latrell. So he's obviously recovering well from that hamstring issue. I think he's got one date circled on the calendar break that's round five, the Nemesis game against the Sydney Roosters.
Speaker 5: Isn't that early round?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, look he looks like that's good.
Speaker 1: He's a head of schedule because I thought it was going to be seven or eight weeks initially.
Speaker 5: I think his rehabs been sensational.
Speaker 2: After early.
Speaker 4: They might yeah, maybe they put a little bit of mayonnaise on the early prognas in terms of how long he might have been out for. But I'll tell you what, I'd be awesome to see.
Speaker 5: Him back for that rend. It doesn't look he does. He looks cherry right.
Speaker 1: And I think the inspiration too for him now is the start that the House have had without him and Kem Murray there, you know, would have kept him up high and training hard and impeak fitness and ready to come back at the right time. It's going to be a huge inclusion for the House when he does come back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Taken on the Sharks, the Sharks have been in the Wars a little bit, a bit of a tough recovery after Vegas.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Broth, Well, certainly they've had the most tumultuous return from Las Vegas. They've had the most amount of travel. They're the only team from the Vegas sides to go on an away trip. And the most significant one is the humidity in the heat up to Townsville, and it's it's completely exhausted them on two fronts, one of which is what I said, the weather in Townsville, but also to ten players got wiped out on the flight home, five with COVID and five with influent influenza.
Speaker 6: A The majority of that squad that beat the Cowboys were crookeds. Rookwood going into the game.
Speaker 11: Is that all he had.
Speaker 2: As a result.
Speaker 7: As a result, Fellows that they're they're at a real scale back preparation and of which tomorrow will probably be their biggest session in about two weeks.
Speaker 6: Finally getting some fitness back into the term.
Speaker 3: It didn't affect their performance in Towns and I I was hot and it was going to be a drink break, really good.
Speaker 2: Flat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but most sides are flat when they come back shock in history and the short history. I've gone to Vegas, most of them come back a little bit there and they still got it done.
Speaker 2: The job.
Speaker 1: Ship sick shark, Sorry where you front. You have some sad some sad news today bands to try celebrations.
Speaker 2: Is no more of this, is no more of this. It's done.
Speaker 1: After a couple of rounds the Bulldogs game and then against the Bunnies, he was on fire.
Speaker 2: What's happened to here? This is this has been absolutely squashed.
Speaker 7: I'm not a fan of it, simply because Christian seems to be producing the party antics while scoring a trial.
Speaker 6: Yet the Dragons aren't getting the job done on the school board in.
Speaker 7: The end result, and Flora is going to have a little chat to him about maybe reeling it in and pouring his energy into the team as opposed to the fans in the crowd.
Speaker 5: What's the reasoning behind it? Like he's off contract at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: Are we not on big coin or are we angling for a bumped up deal or is he just living in the moment.
Speaker 5: And enjoying it and letting it rain on.
Speaker 3: I don't like log if he scores an eighty meter try to win the game, knock yourself out.
Speaker 6: Naked Blacklock style.
Speaker 11: I don't care what you do.
Speaker 3: The backflip's fantastic, but they were getting beaten by the Dogs way eighting points. I think you did it, so it all depends when and where you do it. I like try celebrate our game. Celebrates is around where he raise money, so I like it then, but not everything.
Speaker 2: Gets the crowd up and about and all that.
Speaker 1: But you're right, it was it eighteen points behind when he did it against the Dogs, but against sous it got him to a twelve point lead and then they got beat And I think Wayne said something in the press conference like they thought they'd had it won, So it's.
Speaker 2: Not a good look if you don't go on and back you've got to back it. If you come up with this, you've got to back it up.
Speaker 7: Perception in our games or everything, and it's and the perception of this is is you're partying and having too much of a good time within yourself, clearly and not getting the job done.
Speaker 6: That's what coaches don't like it. Craig Bellamy was huge on it. He used a real Josh Hadoka and all the time about it.
Speaker 4: So does that mean all other post trial celebrations for the Dragons because we're soon a few others.
Speaker 11: I don't know what the margin.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the margin needs to be that they're allowed to celebrate.
Speaker 2: So yeah, can you do the Cradle or the Cradle might still be playing it anyway?
Speaker 3: News Okay, now after this game, Yeah, that's not as good as I'd rather shame with them.
Speaker 2: They had to buy and said it's going to be brutal this week. Was it brutal?
Speaker 7: My understanding is I think the emotion of that press conference was high, clearly, but he has just maintained the same schedule, so he hasn't ripped them. Ted and and knowing it's only round two, round two and and he's they've maintained the same schedule, a couple of days off straight after the game, and they trained, they trained today.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you pulled the handbrake all right, Eels bosses his boss Lee's fans puzzled after they had a little quiz with bulldog Richie in the paper today.
Speaker 2: I believe it quiz.
Speaker 5: I love a bulldog. Quiz No credit the bulldog.
Speaker 4: He's put some hard questions to the paramount of Boss Jim Sarnton as credit to Jim as well.
Speaker 5: He's fronted up and answered the.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say mates break, but where okay, pretty strong against the Eels and some of their decisions last year, and I stand by that. I think it's been vindicated and the results happening a couple of rounds. But in this instance they're obviously back to the war given there h and two and he has fronted up and answered the majority of the questions, but there were a couple.
Speaker 5: This was a little bit surprising.
Speaker 4: That he declined to comment on so was losing by such a big margin to West Tigers, who have collected the past three wooden spoons. Acceptable, declined to comment. It would appear the thirty nine year weight will continue in terms of a premiership. Decline to comment. Interview concluded, So is that normal when you're talking to a CEO.
Speaker 11: That's got to keep the fans positive.
Speaker 4: Some people, yeah, times bosses, bosses will say no comment. But I think in this instance you're probably better often with the benefit of hindsight, just answer those questions.
Speaker 5: They're not that difficult. He hasn't got out of that much of a barrel.
Speaker 1: So you're probably better off just playing it straight back than saying, declimb the comment correct.
Speaker 4: I think he probably got a bit of back room advice. They obviously had a bit of a round table meeting about questions, and I'd say they've had a little bit of loose carry.
Speaker 2: There create a sense of paranoia.
Speaker 4: Does it create a sense of paranoia, Well, it hasn't been a great start, Broth. They've obviously they were diabolical against the Tigers. I think we can all forgive them what happened against the Melbourne Storm. Plenty of sides would have got carved up that particular day, but against the Tigers, what could go wrong did go wrong, and it's hard to see facing Canterbury this week, even without Matt Burton and Villiamy kick out. How the Eels can quickly flick a switch and turn this around. I think they're in for a hard year.
Speaker 1: Could they do a roosters on the Panthers? Could they Could they really turn this that?
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that at this point.
Speaker 6: Well, Dean Hawkins comes in and gets his chance in the halves with.
Speaker 7: With obviously Dylan Brown, I've got Nickels at the moment, Gordy so that they're dealing with those Josh had o'ca guys named in the reserves. He'll come in, he'll come in, he'll play. That'll be his first game in the Blue and Gold. So look, stranger things have happened. Break I expect.
Speaker 2: I expect the bounce back. It's going to be hard. I just think, you know, a few injuries. I think they'll fight.
Speaker 1: I'll fight hard this week and I do expect them to be better than last week. I don't expect them to win though. But anyway, Rickyo, what have you got Davon Galvin? I know again Lollinoi's around his contract. Have we got an update on that?
Speaker 7: Look, no firm update but what I will say is that there's so much speculation and scrutiny around this young fella, and in regards to his future at the West Tigers. Knowing on the back of what happened with Dylan Brown ten year deal, thirteen million, now suddenly Lucky Galvin's going to be the next millionaire.
Speaker 6: For me, I don't think the decision will be about money, like to the nth degree. Of course, it's a fact that no doubt.
Speaker 7: But what I do believe is this will come down to Benji Marshall's coaching and what Locke Galvin believes.
Speaker 6: Will I develop under Benji Marshall?
Speaker 2: Is that my question mark from Lockey in his management.
Speaker 7: I firmly believe Lockie would be mad if he isn't asking that question, how.
Speaker 6: Will I develop?
Speaker 2: You're saying to us that it's not about money, to be about his development. So is that the concern?
Speaker 5: He's already on a strong jectory.
Speaker 4: He's only had one season last year, and what we've seen from him in the opening couple of games, he's on the upward right and it's and it's a rapid ascension. So I tend to think, are we sure this isn't the agent playing games and looking to try and agitate to possibly shift him somewhere else By suggesting it's all about coaching, because.
Speaker 6: I think it's so, let me flip it the other way.
Speaker 7: How many coaches, sorry, how many players signed with another club because they want to be coached by a particular coach?
Speaker 3: We saw, We saw Stefano. He went from the Tigers to Melbourne because it's Melbourne or Penrith or Wayne. Maybe maybe, but that's.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying. I believe the kid. So is he going to want to go to a club that he knows he's going to get quality?
Speaker 2: Is he waiting to see how Benji coaches him this year?
Speaker 6: Are you telling me that I'm asking Benji's coaching.
Speaker 7: He's been coaching the last year and a But it's an open and shutcase of what type of coach Benji is.
Speaker 6: No, it's not. He's still he hasn't proved himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the sound of the player, to improve yourself, no doubt. Break all your coaches. What do they teach you about playing five? They're so different, They're all very different. They're different coaches. I'm serious, Like Wayne, the first time I played with him, the master, the master coach, and I was like nervous, I said, Wayne, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 11: Play football? Your dickhead?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: They didn't say anything for the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: How confusing is that I got to say, I smell a rat.
Speaker 1: I think this is a great ploy by management to deflect from the money and now I have another bit of ammunition and just sort of deflect from the real situation here. Because if he was happy and confident in the coach, you know he's heading for quite a while now.
Speaker 2: He would know that. He would know that.
Speaker 3: I had to call bullshit on it, because you learn more from your teammates. So he's playing with Lowell, that's one four coms. He's got bullet, that's one of the most exciting young players, and you got happy chorus.
Speaker 2: So that's he's waiting to see if the coach gets better.
Speaker 3: As you know, because you learn from your players and you sit there and yet training and they tip you.
Speaker 11: And like when I played with Joel.
Speaker 6: That the building a roster around building.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt. I think there's no question.
Speaker 4: The West Tigers Shane Richardson will sharpen the pencil and he will go in. If I'm here, I'm going to five year deal and I'm straight away just making an average at one point two years, so it's six million over five years. Just try and blow everybody else out of the water.
Speaker 2: And got that.
Speaker 6: So if he knocks that back locker Galvin.
Speaker 2: Clearly, I feel like he knows something we don't know. I feel like, you know he's going to market.
Speaker 6: I've always felt like he's going to market.
Speaker 2: Have you spoken to his management?
Speaker 6: I was shocked at he re signed last time round.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly because of information you've been told, exactly information you've been not at all.
Speaker 7: I feel as though the kid wants to be coached by an elite coach right now, Benjim.
Speaker 3: Years old, nineteen, Yeah, okay, a lead coach just so Monster hey or Penrith.
Speaker 11: Or Belly yeah, or maybe so he's going to knock Cameron Monster out of position.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Let's see, let's see how.
Speaker 1: I just don't think it's good for the Tigers because on the upward trajectory.
Speaker 3: Great stuffing, the bottom sides get up breath Stefano left, right, So how did these lesser clubs?
Speaker 11: They can't be feeder clubs with the big clubs.
Speaker 5: Any you make a great point and the other thing you've got Lachland.
Speaker 2: Govern get another contract.
Speaker 6: I'm start of the year.
Speaker 2: This is going to drag one.
Speaker 1: We're talking about it now and we both all of us believe here that he's going to go to market.
Speaker 2: This is going to be spoke.
Speaker 5: It will definitely go to market. I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If the Tigers go to he and Talon to Silver who are both locals, juniors, the future of the club, and they put an offer they want to Harold Matt's premiership back in twenty twenty two together with West Smagpies. If they go and put together a monster deal to try and lock them up, They've got until November one to try and sort this out, get it done and solidify the future of the Gold.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I'll bet your rich I is working on it. I can guarantee you he will be working over time.
Speaker 1: This is the closer way, you know, if they do it, If they put it on the table and offer that you cannot refuse, and you're happy at the club, and you win a few games and you got the spine they got there at the moment, and then I think essentially, Lochlan will go, you know what, I love it here.
Speaker 2: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't want these dragging now. I don't want these impact in my teammates. I don't want these impact in our season and a chance of.
Speaker 2: Making the top eight. Let's get this done with it.
Speaker 1: You know, if I'm sacrificing one hundred a year, but I'm happy here with my development and Benji and the money that.
Speaker 2: You're offering me. Let's go. That's what they should do. That all right? The wait is almost over.
Speaker 1: The Grand Final rematch between the Panthers and the Storm is less than twenty four hours away.
Speaker 10: Thursday night Live on Fox League Best is the Best?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, where you go?
Speaker 6: Where you got to bake?
Speaker 10: Melbourne Storm and the Penrith Panthers.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 10: Do you know last year's Grand finalists back at it right here, right now, chasing five straight premierships. That's right, five straight. So Craig Billamy Storm the favorites to stop the run of this champion side just doesn't get.
Speaker 2: Any better than this. That is stupidous.
Speaker 10: Fully fit Ryan Pappenhausen, Cameron Munster, Daly and medalist Jerome Hughes, good night, the best player of his generation, Nathan Cleary, Golden Boot winner, Isaiah.
Speaker 5: Yes, somebody stop it.
Speaker 10: Thursday Night Live on Fox League must see Blockbuster Storm and the Panthers.
Speaker 2: W a game.
Speaker 1: It sets up to be the Melbourne Storm taking on the penwith Panthers the pan Panthers looking to bounce back after that lost last week. Now, Hoops, you've had the calculator out, you've had the rugby league players annually out, You've done a bit of a buzz on us today.
Speaker 2: You've got some numbers and some stats and take it away. Just have a look. You take it away for us.
Speaker 5: Well, I was listening to your.
Speaker 4: Bikes last night about Penrith and are there a couple of little chinks in the armor or some cranks cracks in the windscreen. And you're talking about the players that they've lost over the course the last twelve months. But if you go back to when they won that initial premiership, the first of four, you've got Matt Burton, kick Out, Crichton, Spencer, Enya, Jack Cooger, Happy corus Our, Lewis Taruvera, Kirk Capewell, James Fisher, Harris In total, there's thirteen hundred and twenty three games of NRL experience, eighty six finals games and twenty four premierships combined, so it's a hell of a lot of experience. I still expect that Penrith, with nine thousand local juniors and the way they've got the pathways set up, be a top four side every day of the week this year. But I do think that they are more vulnerable than they've ever been because of the amount of depth that they have had to continually shed in the salary cap of era.
Speaker 1: This makes their full premierships even more special when it when you see it like this, you've done a great job.
Speaker 6: The way.
Speaker 2: From the producer buzz will be messaging and be feelthy, but it is. It is eye opening and it's very special that Pei considered.
Speaker 1: We're not just talking we're talking high quality here, high quality players like top eschelon elite that would strolling and have stroll into any other side which had done a good job.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I thought when those three went to the Bulldogs they would have suffer, right, and then they lost them to the Tigers and the Roosters and now for the world.
Speaker 1: But Hoops has said he's concerned. I am a little concerned this year for the like more more than others. Right, Like, we've all got it pretty wrong. I don't think any of us thought they'd fall off a cliff and they didn't.
Speaker 2: But to win Fauna.
Speaker 3: Production believable, the production line their kids won't come through, are pretty much ready to step up with Cleary and Yo and I don't know the experience they have there and how many premierships they've still got there, but they just seem to get the job done. And yeah, they had a hiccup, but they've had a hiccup nearly every year at the beginning, and then by the time they get it to the end of the year, they improve and.
Speaker 2: Buy this team.
Speaker 4: No, they developed it every day of the week. That's why you have to tip your hat and be so super impressed with the dynasty that they have been able to create. I think the other issue that they've got is while ever they've got Cleary, Dylan Edwards, Martin, Mitch Kenny, all those solidified champion Premiership winning players there, they're going to be a damn good side. But we saw with Edwards picking up the groin injury, we saw with Nathan last year he only played fourteen games. If any of those key position blokes because of all the football at elite level that they have played over the LUs four or five years, pick up any niggles or anything, that's where it could become about it.
Speaker 1: It takes us back also to the fact that they have produced all these players and they have had to lose all these players because of the CAP.
Speaker 2: Now is the CAP doing its job?
Speaker 1: And should teams, even though they have won four in a row, should they be rewarded for developing these guys and getting to the point that they have.
Speaker 4: I think the fact that they have one for in a row and you look at that list and all the players, elite players, representative players who are on it, it shows that the CAP is clearly working and they're the flagship of how to make it fly the best possible way. Should they get some sort of compensation because of all the players that they have A.
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 4: It's always a dangerous once you start to talk about that, But I do feel as they for the development clubs, you can understand why they feel as though they do deserve some.
Speaker 2: Sort of rule.
Speaker 7: I certainly hear everything you're saying, and I don't disagree the to all this, and Gordy called up a bit of a hiccup to start the season.
Speaker 6: As bad as they were, as uncharacteristic the.
Speaker 7: Errors from Martin and Dylan Edwards and looking a bit clunky with Nathan in the hars, but they still almost won the game.
Speaker 11: They played for the first final player last ten.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the final player. They nearly win the game. And you know, I'm not in a position to write them off.
Speaker 6: To ship like it's just.
Speaker 5: I said, they're top four side every day of the war.
Speaker 1: If it's going to happen this year, if they're not going to win and they're going to kind of you know, maybe he hit a bit of a war.
Speaker 2: I think this year is the year. I actually think we'll get a really good.
Speaker 1: Indication when they play Melbourne where they're huge, you know where they're really and if they do bounce back and do what they usually do. Now, boys, your key player matchups brought to you by Ossie Broadband for this week.
Speaker 4: You got I'm going the Grand Final rematch tomorrow night and it's still the best players in the game. Nathan Cleary in the reigning dally M medalist, Jerome Hughes it.
Speaker 6: Really impressed by seeing in Smith.
Speaker 7: Guys, I just thought it was almost a game of his career last weekend against the Panthers, up against Luke Metcalf, now who's just hit the ground running post Vegas. That was an awesome performance last week Metcalf for Smith, awesome work.
Speaker 2: They think you Hoops sucked.
Speaker 1: Next, it's The Legends Agenda with Justin Hodges and James Groen.