Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, January thirty, twenty twenty six. Susan Lee is expected to announce a new Liberal front bench in coming days, as federal politicians prepare to return to Canberra for the start of the parliamentary year. It might be Lee's last gasp. She's got two right wing rivals coming for her job, and the only thing holding them back is the fact they can't agree on who's the best candidate this talk, Lee's support is firming in the rest of the party and even a suggestion the best choice might be a more centrist candidate like Treasury spokesman Ted O'Brien. The Opposition leader could be forgiven for dropping the old f form in such a stressful time, but the rest of us should watch our mouths. That's the obvious conclusion from a case now playing out in the Federal Court where a banker is fighting the bosses who sacked him for swearing. Today, what are we allowed to say at work these days? If we show up to work at all. Normally I say, don't swear after this, but today we can.
Speaker 2: Today we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, before we begin, there's a little bit of swearing in this episode.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, you schnooks will now be targeting the wealthiest one percent of Americans.
Speaker 1: Talking about whales. Here we'by fucking Dix. Max Hison is the Australian's banking reporter, and Max, you're reporting today on an issue that's very close to my heart. Whether or not we're allowed to swear at work. Now, you're a Scotsman working in Australia. I don't think I've heard you swearing in the office, but I'm pretty sure you'd be capable of letting out a good stream of swear words.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, but it's all just under the breath.
Speaker 1: Tell me what did someone allegedly say that got them in trouble at CBA.
Speaker 2: So there was a chap called Bradley Duff who was a property finance director within CBA's major client group, and he's been sacked and he's suing the bank as a result. He was sacked for allegedly standing over in inverted commas a junior colleague and saying in a raised voice, do you want to get the deal done or not? And if you can't get it done, let me know. In addition to that, he's alleged to have touched the same colleague on the shoulder at another meeting and said, you can do it with friendly encouragement. We are led to believe while they couldn't determine whether there had been contact made, mister Duff admitted saying at another meeting or to someone else, calmed the fuck down. At one stage, CBA, while it was getting an external firm to investigate, put him on leave. The external firm and we don't know who they are the un aimed in the court documents, but they upheld the misconduct findings, and yes, mister Dove was sacked. Now he's suing the bank. Mister Duff claims that none of his behavior warranted misconduct, none of it was bullying, none of it amounted to something that he should have been sacked for. On the swearing front, and this is where it gets interesting for bank watchers such as myself, he said that it was commonplace from the most senior management down at CBA to swear and to use swear words. CBA of course denies this, but it's certainly quite an interesting insight into the workplace.
Speaker 1: I had people to say this swear while offering me directions somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, take it back and right.
Speaker 1: I think Australia has gotta be the only place where the C word is considered a friendly greeting.
Speaker 2: Are you going ag?
Speaker 1: I would have thought it was obvious that everyone in Australian workplaces swear. I don't know if that's just that I've been hardened from years in newsrooms. But there is change happening, isn't there. I mean, even in newsrooms which were famously very sweary environments when you and I both started our careers, you don't hear nearly so many fbombs now as you might have in the past.
Speaker 2: Oh not at all. I mean when I started back in Fleet Street and the UK, you know, I heard stories of metal bends being thrown at reporters who feeled to get stories. But you know, I didn't witness any of that myself. But it's definitely less a feature of the newsroom than it once was.
Speaker 1: There's also a difference between swearing in anger and swearing for emphasis, or swearing for humor or swearing for stress relief, isn't there? I mean, it doesn't seem to me as though calm the fuck down, which is what this person allegedly said, is necessarily problematic. This is also so not just retail banking. This is high level, high stress deal making, probably one of the most high stress occupations. You can have huge amounts of money riding on the deals that these people are doing. It was a favorite. Can you tell me the yield you get out of that account versus the hours you put in? Because this isn't a fucking social club. I want to see it in dollars. It's fucking pathetic. Otherwise, if there's no swearing allowed anymore, Hollywood movies are going to have to be very different the ones about finance, don't.
Speaker 2: The Oh indeed, I mean it kind of beggars belief that swearing wouldn't exist. He says in his statement of claim that he was under huge amounts of pressure and to court him had reached breaking point, and complaints about this to his bosses fell on deaf ears. Traders I speak to. My job isn't what it quite once was. The high octane, incredibly masculine environments. They are dominated by man the trading floors. But I think you'd be a pretty safe bet to say there's still a lot swearing that goes on on those floors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe if your employer wants to get rid of you, swearing might be something that you don't want to have on your record just in case.
Speaker 2: Yeah absolutely. I mean I reported on a case last year which is actually out for judgment. A former A and Z trader. He is suing the bank for unfair dismissal, claiming that he was a whistleblower and was actually exposing wrongdoing on the trading floor, whereas A and Z in this case, they claim they sacked him for fouel messages he shared with other traders. Those messages were read out in core and all their excruciatingly offensive detail. But it just shows you know, this stuff is quite commonplace and you can be caught out of the sodas.
Speaker 1: Are Australian banks is some of the economy's biggest employee. Is the huge institution. Still, even though various CEOs are trying to change that reality, working from home is an issue where the banks are having to work out what the new rules are these days. We've seen a decision in recent days where a man who was employed under a contract that said that he could work from home before COVID has now had a finding that no longer applies. The employer was within its rights to determine that that wasn't the case, But it went the other way for another bank, didn't it? Late last year? What was that case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, this was in October and it was west Pac. There was a woman, a mother of twins called Carlene Chandler. She had worked in west PAC's mortgage team for I think over twenty years and had kind of happily been working from home to look after two girls who were I think primary school age. At the start of last year, one of her bosses requested that she come into the office more often. I think it was a minimum of maybe three days a week. She challenged this and suggested an alternative, which was to work I think a couple of days at a bank branch closer to her home. The bank refused. She took them to the Fair Work Commission and yes, she won, which was seen at the time as quite a momentous decision. The bank defended its position but ultimately decided not to appeal the case. Anthony Miller, the Westpac CEO, was concerned for the employee because there was a huge amount of press attention around her because it was seen as this litmus test I guess for getting people back to work post pandemic. But he kind of said that he thought the bank had it right and that you know, a policy of three days a week in the office got the balance right between flexible working and the benefits that he said that you see from working together in an office.
Speaker 1: Coming up, why bosses and workers are increasingly threshing it out in courtrooms. We're at a real inflection point, aren't we, as the economy recovers from COVID and now into a new phase of high inflation, high cost of living, high travel costs in particular, which means people don't want to make the huge commute into the office. What's your sense when these matters reach court of how tense things are between employers and employees.
Speaker 2: I think they're very tense. A lot of employees across the country see these gains as they would see it from flexible work that was brought on by the pandemic, as quite hard fought rights, and to have them taken away would really alter their life, especially people who have young children or they've got caring responsibilities. The ability to work from home, even fifty percent of the week makes a huge difference to their lives. It's hard to say a lot of people in corporate Australia have gone back full time and that's often set from the top. But if I was going to give my opinion, I think flexible work is probably here to stay.
Speaker 1: No one can here swear in you're in kitchen. The problem is you end up like me, eating so much peanut butter off the spoon that you have to come back to work.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a nutrition. The fridge is as is always tempting.
Speaker 1: Max Aitchison, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Max Aitchison is The Australian's banking reporter. You can check out all his stories right now at The Australian dot com dot au