Speaker 1: I think if Xavier Coach doesn't score a try, Cronulla have won the game.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've just got this sense of impending doom.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Bill, he's been at this level, right, He's been outstanding, right, But I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, impending doom. You heard that, Sharks fans impending doom. I mean, looks as though he's going to play. But if you look at their winning percentage when your own plays, it's about twenty three percent better when he plays, as opposed to twen.
Speaker 5: He's not the team.
Speaker 1: If they produce the forty minutes they showed against the Dogs would win the premiership.
Speaker 5: I've got a sense of impending doom as well, Mick.
Speaker 4: Because I've had a look at the status from last week and I reckon Brisbane there's an area of the penwith defensive well and they can attack and they have to attack and that's ta Langey, Casey McClain.
Speaker 1: Welcome to a very special Finals edition of The Code NRL Show with me, As Michael Carriana says always Brent Reid, all right, let's dive into it. Melbourne Cronulla, Amy Park, Melbourne. With the week off, we just know how beneficial that is having advanced.
Speaker 5: Particularly for them with Jerome obviously huge for them.
Speaker 4: Talking through Jerome, well, he had surgery the day after he played. They played the Broncos in the last round. He broke his forearm. He had surgery the day after. He had some plates and screws putting it to that arm, some extra strong ones, according to his doctor I spoke to last week, extra strong plates, strong plates, not your normal plates like the place you and I get different plates men. These are extra strong plates and screws. So look, I mean it looks as though he's going to play and they are a completely different side in your own place. Jona Peasant's been fantastic. But if you look at their WINNI percentage when Jerome plays, it's about twenty three percent better when he plays as opposed to when he's not the team. He's he's a match winner match and he's there argue their best player, so it's huge for them.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one because if there was any shadow of doubt that Jerome wasn't one hundred percent right, you would probably pick pezzlet off on the beach as opposed to Tyrone Wishard, who's more of your utility.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, well, I think they know that wish I can do a job. He's done a job the Pezit's obviously better started special he's a better start in half back, but Wishart gives them cover for obviously multiple positions, and there's been in the side all a year. I don't think it doesn't seem like there's a risk, Like there's obviously a risk with Jerome, right, but I don't think it's a high risk. Because it was a high risk, they wouldn't be playing him. They've backed themselves. We seen the Storm do it before. They've backed themselves to win this game, make sure dreams right for the Grand Finals, so they obviously feel like you can get through eighty minutes. And I think it's going to be a cracking game. The games this Sunday, this weekend, they're so contrasting. I think it's going to be gritty, tough Friday night Sunday. I think it's going to be explosive and to end everything's going to be must watched. Right, So a contrast of styles from all four sides. But we know the Sharks fancy their chances against Melbourne. I know, really doesn't give him a chance.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I think Melbourne will win because I think once we get into that arm wrestle, I think they've got more explosive players get a job done. Right.
Speaker 1: So let's just pull on, Let's just focus on Melbourne for two seconds, right. I don't believe they've had their best season as far as there, as far as getting to a preliminary final of past seasons. I don't think they're playing anywhere any of their best football, to the point of which they leaked forty points in the second half against the Roosters, of which is a historic and first time ever deficit of a second half of the Storm. And that's just one example. They've also had a lot of chopping and changing in their spine. They've only played eight times this year, this spine of the Melbourne Storm, and for me, that's where Cronulla come into the fight. On the basis of just an inconsistent season, if you can even call.
Speaker 4: It that for the Storm, I reckon we take Melbourne a bit on Trust Day because I think we all think that they're going to turn it on at some point.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they play.
Speaker 5: Agree they played patches of football this year.
Speaker 4: Twenty minute patches of football. Well, they have been untouchable, brilliant. Then they've just been bang average in other games. They've managed to win footy games playing average, right, So I think there's this expectation that come a proliminary final. Amy Park Sell that crowd they're just going to turn out and they're going to go to another level. But there's some guys on that team this year I think I haven't been at their best. Look, Ryan Papanhaus's been off the boiler bit. I reckon Sean Boores her difficult difficult times this year. You know they're missing Nelson, he's suspended again.
Speaker 1: Jack Haward comes back into the really good football.
Speaker 4: So there's just some concerns over them. Mick just said, I give Canella no chance. Look, I mean there are chances because they're going to turn up at the stage, so there are always a chance, right. I think they might win by ten.
Speaker 1: So just just on the storm, right, turn.
Speaker 5: Up, Yeah, just a chance they turn up.
Speaker 1: They's got a bit the storm. Remembering the Bulldogs game, it wasn't until the Will Warwick intercept that the game was put to bed. And if we think about the carnage that the Dogs went through in that match.
Speaker 5: The Dogs could have been there twice in the last month of the season.
Speaker 1: Right Mike, look at the Dogs decline. So if look like I don't mind having a pun on the horses, now I read the form you pun on the horses, and you read the form really badly.
Speaker 5: I don't punt because I'm such a bad punt.
Speaker 1: That's right, and your bad form got very similar in rugby league.
Speaker 4: Well, I've said that I've thrown out the Bulldogs before rather form team of the NRL. At the moment, they've were not nine at the last ten or ten at the last eleven. That a little bit of a soft draw and I got bagged a bit for saying that. But they did have a soft drawer when the season.
Speaker 1: But because they had a hard to draw through the stuff, they've.
Speaker 5: Been really good.
Speaker 4: They'd been very good the last two weeks, so they've played really physical and tough.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the Sharks. For me, they have to go to another level. I think the completion rates have been poor against the Sydney Roosters and the Raiders are not good enough to have a similar seventy eight seventy five percent completion rate against the Storms good enough also time field position. They've been on the back foot and getting out of their own end way too much. And it's a tick of the box of their resilience yep, and their desire and the defensive line of which they're only averaging ten points a game. But you can't do it against the mass If.
Speaker 3: They concede as much to your point, David, if they con side as much territory as they did in that opening half against Melbourne like they did against Canberra.
Speaker 2: They'll elect three tries.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Agree, you know they did. Resiliance was a key word.
Speaker 3: They were so strong and to somehow lead that game at halftime was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, last week.
Speaker 3: So I feel like that's the key point for them that they need to ensure they're not giving the Storm even half amount of chances they gave Canberra because they won't win the game if that happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if Xavier Coach doesn't score a try, Cronulla have won the game because that that is also an aerial threat that Cronulla didn't have to worry about last week with the Raiders, and they did a really good job on mark down last week the way before was back to his handy. Yeah they're handy, but Xavier coats in the air is a try game almost.
Speaker 2: She's a free he is a freak.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't I've loved Cronol was back to for ages, so you know, I caught him for a long time the best back to in the competition.
Speaker 5: But so you've a bit of a love affair with katar.
Speaker 3: And I just think they're under road. Particularly has been underrated. They missed him when he was injured for an extended period, right, you know. But yeah, it's all going to come down to what they've said. That that that that on the middle of the field, and if they're kicking games on and they can, you know, have a bit more territorial advantage than they did against Camberra. If it's even close to the amount of weight to possession that Canberra had in the first half, they won't win.
Speaker 1: No. No. The other factor for Kronella is their bench. Fellas, at what point is this one of the best benches in the camp as far as the CIPHERTALKAI comes on and it just changes the momentum of the game. Braden Hamlenuelli has been a long term front rower and obviously Brittain. Now, that decision by Craig Fitzgibbon to start Billy Burns ahead of a test back is one of the most incredible coaching calls of the year.
Speaker 3: The only thing I'm concerned of is that, yeah, it's been great, but when is it not going to be good. I'd be playing Britain. I'd be starting Britain. I think Britain's a class player, key international. Billy's done an outstanding job, right, and you know has transitioned into the middle when Britain's come on, because obviously last week they lost Tom Hazelton and Adam fan Lder Blake had to punch out big minutes to open it.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I've just got this sense of impending doom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ye, Billy has been at this level, right, he's been outstanding, right, But I don't.
Speaker 4: Know impending doom. You heard that Sharks fans impending doom. He reckons, I wrote you off, he's got pending doom.
Speaker 2: Just you reckon. They're only a chance if they show up. Get off. I'm giving a red hot chance. But I would start Britain. That's what pending doom would be.
Speaker 5: I think that for me. For me, it's the halves. This comes down with the halves.
Speaker 4: If Nico and Brandon Trindle play like they have been last couple, if they're allowed to play that they have been the last couple of weeks, Caronulla can win the game.
Speaker 5: I just don't think they'll get that opportunity.
Speaker 1: For me, it's the hookers. I think it's Blake Brayley versus Harry Green.
Speaker 2: It's a matchup that is a matchup.
Speaker 1: How will the Sharks view their season? Boys, if this is the end of the road, they are beaten in this prelim, how do you think they will put a spin on this season?
Speaker 3: They made a prelim last year. I think they're a better side than last year, so I think they've made improvements. I think they look better for the Sharks, they'll probably call it a par season the prelim. I think it's a decent year if they make the problem because I don't think many people would have given them the chance of finishing in the top four.
Speaker 1: They had some work to do because they did have a dip mid season, and they had some work to do to try and win through that soft draw that you call and win those games. They had to get those jobs done, but they got there and I think they got rid of a bit of a gorilla off their back as well through the semis.
Speaker 5: I'm sort of with you guys. I think it's a past Mark rob but.
Speaker 4: Our a better team than last year, be a better team next year, I'd imagine, and I think they'll be happy, but not over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, talking to Adam fanil Blake about this fellas, he says a Grand Finals past Mark, that's probably that's where they said it. The bar So Prelium probably just under that.
Speaker 5: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Melbourne Storm they bow out, how do you view their season.
Speaker 5: Disappointment, big disappointment.
Speaker 4: I'd imagine they went into this year think and they could, they could win a competition, the Grand Final, and I think they'll be bitterly disappointed they bow out. I think it's a failure for them.
Speaker 3: I think it's because of the way they haven't reached great heights this year. I know they finished second and they know that the Stranger's second place side that we've seen they haven't been great, but they finished second, right, Yeah, if they get I think it's definitely a wasted season from the Melbourne Storm off the back of last year's Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Do you think we see some changes in that roster should they bow out big time?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think they've got to make changes. I think they've got a lot of cap pressure. Ryan Papa and Nelson Nelson Solomon have spoken to our three sixty the rugby comp I think you didn't see some pretty I wouldn't say major. I wouldn't say major overhaul, but you're going to see some tinkering definitely with that squad next year, regardless of what happens to I think change is coming down there.
Speaker 1: Ye let me get your tip. Who wins the game?
Speaker 5: I think the Storm win.
Speaker 2: Storm and a tight.
Speaker 1: One, Sharks and a tight one.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 1: You know where I would love to be on Sunday afternoon, well, very similar to northeast the Caxton, Oh maybe an hour and a half before kickoff, that would be.
Speaker 2: I would love to walk past the Caxton to.
Speaker 5: Go in Asconda before Skull Mother's milk, what's going on.
Speaker 1: Probably wouldn't have one of them. But where I'm going is the atmosphere at least is why I'm obsessed with daytime football just creates a It's gonna be like twenty seven eight degrees fast track at Son called full house.
Speaker 2: And the best two teams to play in daylight.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 3: The Panthers opening forty minutes. I'll tell you what I'm obsessed with with Penrith. They're catching pass that skill level like, it's unbelievable that their shift they catch pass, catch pass, catch pass from winger from the middles. I've never seen. I've never seen anything like it. They hardly thought a bad pass, right like, the only reason they stripped Canterbury so often was their speed of catch pass and the accuracy right Like, it's fullty fundamentals that you just don't see.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was obsessed with it on the weekend.
Speaker 1: And your man Dylan's come to life. It's been okay, okay, much been better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been good. It's been better. Yeah. Better.
Speaker 1: Have you guys got any seed in you that suggests the Panthers only beat up and declining dogs. They got some calls against the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Now, not that forty minutes that I saw. That forty minutes will beat anyone. If they can replicate that forty minutes, they'll win the comp. I don't think any like the only side that can match them in terms of being able to turn.
Speaker 2: A game that quickly is Brisbane.
Speaker 3: I don't think Brisbane have a forty complete forty minutes that we saw from Penrith on some So.
Speaker 1: Just repeat that for me. If they repeat, if they produced the forty minutes they showed against the Dogs in the Premiership in.
Speaker 2: The comp, they will win the comp.
Speaker 3: And I don'n't hesitate by saying that that was a near perfect forty minutes. Their execution right was perfect.
Speaker 2: It was perfect.
Speaker 3: I do think the only side that can go with as I said, the only side that I feel like has the players that can equally blow them off the park as well if they start slows the Broncos.
Speaker 4: I've got a sense of impending doom as well, Mick, because I've had a look at the slapouts from last week and I reckon Brisbane there's an area of the penwith defensive well and they can attack and they have to attack, and that's t Langey Casey McClain.
Speaker 5: They missed sixteen tackles last week.
Speaker 4: The Dogs destrayed him in the second half down the right hand side of the field and Brisbane that's where Tony Staggers gets passed Stas who was I think he's had an amazing season Stags.
Speaker 5: I think that's the key key for Brisbane. They've got to get at those guys.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's any flirtation from the Panthers to start Luke Garno. We've seen him do it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure they'd be considering.
Speaker 5: In the background center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, case of McClain, we've seen him do it before.
Speaker 3: A case of if you're blowing up, you're the one, you're the one pointing out the deficiency.
Speaker 4: I am, but make Casey McLain has been pretty good this year. I'm just saying that's there.
Speaker 5: They can exploit.
Speaker 2: You just smashed him.
Speaker 5: I did, they can explore.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I was just tossing up a solution.
Speaker 1: You're you're a cage to places trust in your players to get the joll done. You don't make a change to rectify a problem.
Speaker 4: Well know, if the guy has done a pretty good job all year for you and the guy he's had, they had an off day last week, right and I'm sure Brisbane have recognized that. And Phil Goodman mentioned it on Monday Night that that was an nearer they could get at.
Speaker 1: So you don't feel like it's foggerty to Moco areas.
Speaker 5: It's not as I don't.
Speaker 4: Think it's a systemic, long standing issue, but I think it's an area they can exploit that The Bullocks showed last week that you can get at those two and create some indecision. And they've got Katani Stags, who's one of their best attacking weapons, right, so it just makes sense. I think they can get some joy there.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to. It's find ways to not get that joy.
Speaker 5: And then a recent boy on the other side go and left booming.
Speaker 2: Thing the thing, doom.
Speaker 1: Doomsday. The major factor for me for Penrith is they're going to come up against a Broncos team that has a better kicking game than what they've seen against the Dogs and the Warriors, and that's Adam Reynolds. The return of Adam Reynolds. Adam Reynolds, there was.
Speaker 4: A debate whether you should come on the team or not. Yeah, right, can you I find that unfathomable people would talk about keeping bringing Adam Reynolds back in the team. Who were talking that was being discussed. People had thrown it up and said it was out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the thing, You're right, i'd heard it, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: So in Reynolds they have He's not Nathan Cleary, but he's the closest kicking game.
Speaker 3: Of Nathan Cleary tempo control wise. Yeah, I can't honestly like Friday. I'm looking forward to the slug fest Sunday. I'm looking forward to the exuberance.
Speaker 5: You've got me on on Sunday.
Speaker 2: You got Penrith. Yeah, but cool.
Speaker 1: I'm struggling on the tip here, but I will go Penrith. I do have concerns over.
Speaker 5: The form on who they played with you.
Speaker 4: They were brilliant forty last week, that is true.
Speaker 1: And they made so so experienced and you underrate that they can. It doesn't matter who they're playing, they find a way.
Speaker 2: Just turn it on like that forty minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think Brisbane are going to be motivated by vengeance. That's a huge.
Speaker 3: I think this has been totally understated, the fact that there's no Pat Carrigan. Yeah, the does a lot of clean up work in the middle of the field. That link man in the middle of the field. I think he's a huge, a huge.
Speaker 4: I think there's Tyson Smoothie smooth lock, which is intriguing, but it's a it's a big absence Mick.
Speaker 1: The Broncos to the world.
Speaker 4: Losing Billy Walters too Billy Walter is in the latter stage of the season was unbelievable for them.
Speaker 1: The Broncos don't win this game and that's the end of their season. How do you view their year?
Speaker 4: I think it's been a success Top four prelim final. I think it's been a big tick for Michael maguire, tick the Army camps, tick the spear buckets.
Speaker 5: It's all good.
Speaker 4: We move on to next year and they'll be among the favorites to win a comp next year if they don't win it this year.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think I don't think you know, Penwrith will view it as a disappointment as they get bounced out, but and Melbourne probably would two off the back of last year's Grand Final. But you make a prelim there's no disappointing years for any of those size that are left. Penrith get beat, they get rolled out. How do they view their season? And was the decision to rest the players a tick of the box or did it back for on them?
Speaker 1: The fact that they've been about, they've been rolled, and they didn't make the top four.
Speaker 3: When they reflect on their year, they'll think they had to put too much energy in the middle of the year. That's where they reflect because they were chasing their tail right resting of the players, I think that's irrelevant, right. I think it's the fact that they had to do so much hard work in the middle of the year to grind their way back is probably where they look back and going, oh, that's probably where we sort of let an opportunity to sleep. If they don't win the comp, they'll think it's an opportunity gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah for them, because they do, they win through it.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a crack out old tip, Penrith, you're going with broncos Man.
Speaker 2: Penrith,