Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm a writer and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed business News. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mumma TV, the financial literacy platform that is on podcasts like this one obviously, and books and Instagram and YouTube threads and TikTok and more. Hello, Canna, Merry.
Speaker 2: Christmas, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: This is very exciting. We have a basically in the spirit of the season. It is Christmas, Christmas Day. Today's episode is all about the gift of savings. Doesn't that sound merry?
Speaker 2: I'm filled with joy.
Speaker 1: Is what everybody wants for Christmas, isn't it. We are putting together the ultimate savings hack Bonanza. We've got a whole bunch of ideas and tips and tricks and things that you can use to save a little bit of money. Now, these have come from all over the place, these ones that have been suggested by listeners who have sent them on. They've come from our own lives. They've come from your vast, vast personal bank of frugal habits. If you have your own idea that you would like to share with us, then please for next time send them on through via by Instagram or via any of the social media platforms. You can go to Fear and Greed dot com, dot or you as well, Canna. Do you want to kick us off with your first tip. It's a bit of a savings hack, free for all, so just chuck it into the mix. It's like the it's you know what this is like? Actually, this is like Christmas lunch where it is just a free for all. You've got kind of thirty relatives all going for it on the same kind of table, everyone just reaching for the different plates. If you've got a tip, just throw it into the middle and then we can all feast upon it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of a mixed Christmas metaphor, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Go on?
Speaker 1: Get us going all right?
Speaker 2: Zifft So this is like Google shopping. It's an online shopping comparison tool and it goes across I think fifty thousand different online retailers and it can help you find the most competitive price.
Speaker 1: What's it called?
Speaker 2: Zift zift z yft.
Speaker 1: Z yft and you just it's an app or a website.
Speaker 2: It's extension, so you have to download it on your computer and niculd so when you're using it, you can search.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an extension of Google.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's called Zift. It's like Google shopping.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, I'm sounding so backwards with technology, so you're saying it it's like the internet, right, So it's okay. So you download it and you can use that to search across a whole bunch of retailers.
Speaker 2: And find if you want to buy a particular gadget, you can use it to find the most competitive price.
Speaker 1: Do you use it?
Speaker 2: I've just started using it. Up downloaded the extension and I am still playing around it. But I think it's so far I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really handy, especially if you do a lot of online shopping. It's just as people do these days.
Speaker 2: You go to the shops, they'd barely have anything there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's a great idea. All right. My next one, well, my first one comes from Teresa who says in via Instagram and she said, I thought this is interesting. If you have Medibank Private Health, you can earn points through exercise, and the points you earn you can use to redeem for shopping vouchers. You can use it to help reduce the cost of your policy cover. You can use it by Apple products. She says, I have forty thousand points now I could have a full year of policy cover paid off, or AirPod pros a bunch of other different products.
Speaker 2: That's pretty brilliant. I love that.
Speaker 1: I like it because it's also geared towards making you fitter and healthier as well. So you are feeling better about yourself and about your fitness and your long term health, and you are earning points, which are kind of the equivalent of money anyway.
Speaker 2: Well. It also investing in prevention is so much better for our medical system and the hospitals rather than obviously having to treat people who are sick.
Speaker 1: Having said that, it's Christmas Day, I'm sure the last thing everyone's thinking about right now is getting out there exercising and getting super fit afternoon nap. That's a good point, but depends if you're listening to it on Boxing Day or approaching New Years, because maybe maybe this is kind of what you are thinking about right now. What's your next one?
Speaker 2: Will worth everyday rewards. I know everyone talks about this, but it is so good. Like for Christmas, I banked up all my everyday rewards. I had almost two hundred dollars saved up, which I was able to use to do our Christmas shopping.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, And similar to I do both your worst and but I'm a big Firebys fan. I do by.
Speaker 2: I signed up to Flybys off the back of your recommendation.
Speaker 1: Well, great, because you can just build up so many points and you don't need to do anything extra for it. It's just with your normal shopping. But if you are a little bit smarter with the way that you do it, and you can go to the products that have bonus points and you buy two of these or one of these and things and you can get kind of an extra hundred points or something like that boost away. Yeah, and if there are things that you would be buying anyway, then hey, why not buy it this week instead of next week? Get the hundred bonus points. And all of a sudden, I'm they're doing the groceries. And I'd say I'm they're doing the groceries, But on the occasion that I'm actually there in the shop, and all of a sudden it pops up on the screen. Do you want to take ten dollars off the cost of this shop right now? Okay?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Lock it in any Yeah? Great? And okay, so will worst rewards points flybys? That is great? Can I give you a slightly different one? And this came from a listener who does not wish to be identified, but they got in touch with me via Instagram. You look very skeptical, Are you scared? Yes, it's a good idea. This is a good one. Many moons ago. You gotta love any message on Instagram that starts with many moons ago. He or she says, many moons ago? Taife, Right, so taife. We're keen to get real projects for students to work on. The projects could be anything from panel beating to fixing video players, and this listener says, yes, I am that old that I'm talking about fixing video players depending on what programs that particular Tafe ran. I'm not sure if they do it anymore. However, I do remember the only cost was for materials, and although the quality was pretty good, everything was overseen by the teacher. It did take a long time to complete there's a saying in the industry there is speed, quality and time, but you can only choose two. I did a little bit of research then off the back of this, going, oh, that is actually interesting, I wonder what you can get done by tape students. So really kind of students who are studying in all of these different kind of fields and they need these real life examples. And I don't want to use the word guinea pigs, but you do need people to put their hands up to put forward things to be fixed or if it's personal, stuff to be worked on. And I can't see anything about panel beating right, so that might be in history now. But in New South Wales, for instance, you can get a beauty services. They have like beauty service, beauty salon, treatments, hair nails, all of those kinds of things, hairdressers and barbers all kind of included in that. They've got restaurants as well, where the people that are in that restaurant are training in hospitality. Wow, and so you get kind of it's essentially cheaper restaurant quality meals from people who are learning to cook, training to be chefs, and people who are training to be service staff as well. And all you need to do is google kind of tafe and services for the community is how I found all of these things. And it's just this wealth of ideas on ways that you can help these people with kind of their training, but you can get stuff at much cheaper prices. I thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I love that you didn't need to be scared at all.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't. I don't know why I was.
Speaker 1: I think it's just because sometimes when I'm relying on things that I have not experienced myself, that sometimes there are some left field suggestions.
Speaker 2: See I've done I've gone to a nail like I guess beauty course and had my nails done when I was in my twenties because I couldn't afford to get it done, but I really wanted to get done for a special occasion, and I got them done for free and good quality. You're not free. I think I had like five dollars or something. It was great.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: It did take a while because obviously she was still learning, but you're brilliant.
Speaker 1: I love that at that saying that there is speed, quality and time, but you can only choose to so in this particular case, you've got quality and it took time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. We write that down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good one. Okay, do you have one more quick one for us and then we'll take a break.
Speaker 2: I do so. The enter I may so. They have a membership program. It's five dollars a month, but it gives you discounts. We can get discounts off fuel, food and accommodation and entertainment and save up to twenty five percent.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good one. That's actually there are some big savings. Yeah. And you jump onto the app and the website and then there are equivalent kind of things with RACV and RACQ, et cetera. And you can see all of these different savings and particularly kind of then when you get to summer holidays and some are accommodation and things, caravan parks and things. They are often really good deals because they are run actually by some of these organizations as well.
Speaker 2: I've got a little bit excited. You get a discount of the cheesecake shop. I love a good cheesecake.
Speaker 1: It's random sometimes, isn't it, the places where you can get discounts using these Okay, let's take it, we will continue our savings hack bonanza. We'll take a very quick break and if that was kind of entree and half of Mainz of our Christmas luncheon, then we will come back for the second half of Mainz and dessert. Does that work?
Speaker 2: I'm just now hungry.
Speaker 1: It just feels like you have checked out. You are dreaming of ham and turkey right now. All right, we'll be back in a second Canna. In the spirit of Christmas, we are talking all about savings, trying to give the gift of money in your pocket to anybody who is happening to be listening today on Christmas Day. But if you're listening into the future on New Year's Day or any day in January, or perhaps it might be April, I don't really know. But it is all still good advice to help you save a little bit of money. Okay. So we've done Medibank private and earning points. We've talked about Woolies and Flybys and Zift, We've talked about Taife and Nroma. Can I mention one and it comes from Shaku and he says to me, this is again via Instagram. He goes the seven Rewards app. Oh yes, have you seen this? This is amazing. These are all of them, and look there, we don't have affiliations with these ones. These are just kind of well, I don't. These are people sending in their ideas and I just think they're pretty cool. He goes, this is a free app. All you need is email address to register. You can buy discounted gift cards, discounts on dining, shopping, and activities. I personally use it for gift cards. They have discounts of And this was current at the time that he sent this in. It may not be current anymore. Three percent for instance, for coals, five percent for cotton On, four percent for JB High Fi, four percent on JB High Fi. Can actually save you a bit of money.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you know we're spending quite a bit if you're on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Typically three percent for Amazon, ten percent for Rebel. I've saved over two hundred dollars buying these gift cards and using them then to shop in those stores.
Speaker 2: That's great, it's a great idea. Yeah, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's pretty clever. But he also sent in a second one, the entertainment app. Now I remember this when it was called the entertainment book. Do you remember that I believe you.
Speaker 2: May have stolen this one from me from our budget battle.
Speaker 1: I did not, you didn't, Pinocchio.
Speaker 2: Are you serious it's been published.
Speaker 1: I don't remember this, and I will deny, deny, deny, thief. It's not me. It's shick here helped me. He says. This is a paid apph be kind. It is Christmas in the spirit of Christmas, ebenez are screwed.
Speaker 2: Spirit of Christmas. You don't steal.
Speaker 1: It is a gift I'm stealing from you me.
Speaker 2: I should scry about the entertainment app a while ago.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry, but I am determined to share the joy of Christmas with everyone, regardless of what you want. You just want everybody to get cold. He says. This is a paid app fifty five dollars per year. I did check it as now seventy dollars. You get similar discounts like the seven rewards with gift cards, shopping and dining. But here's also four percent for Woolies gift cards, five percent for Dan Murphy's, three percent for Ample fuel. And when you couple that with the Dan Murphy's price match guarantee, he has done his research, hasn't it When you couple it with your Dan Murphy's price match guarantee, you'll get it for the lowest price always, plus the five percent discount he goes. I have saved more than four one hundred dollars subtracting the yearly fees this year alone shopping with Woolies, Dan Murphy's and fuel.
Speaker 2: That entertainment app pays for itself within minutes.
Speaker 1: And this is the first I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Oh god, it's just it's.
Speaker 1: Just great to know that even.
Speaker 2: On Christmas, so ripped off.
Speaker 1: Christmas, we can still bait you into a good reaction. That is good. But I mean I do remember it as the entertainment book, and you would buy the actual book of coupon to remember and it was like a.
Speaker 2: Little yeah, like a little phone book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 2: And you cut out tear out the vouchers. And it's a bit embarrassing showing someone as you're checking out of the Black Stump restaurant voucher.
Speaker 1: You're right, there is a little bit kind of but you need not be embarrassed about it.
Speaker 2: No shame.
Speaker 1: In the end, it's not coming out of that person's pocket serving you at the checkout. For most of these places, it is a business. They have decided to take part in this promotion. They want people to come into the shop. They want people to use it because it means that they're getting people through the door that they might not have had previously. Exactly so there shouldn't be any shame attached to it. What else have you got for ut Canna? This was a bit cheeky, as cheeky as stealing someone's tip.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not stealing, it's lying on.
Speaker 1: This is very Christmas everyone so far now dishonesty.
Speaker 2: And integrity of it's going down the toilet. So when it comes to signing up to you know, a website like a online retailer, and they ask you for your birthday because I said that would like to send you a birthday gift for both that they bonus or discount.
Speaker 1: God, I do you know where you're going with this?
Speaker 2: Maybe not you put in it's a bit cheeky you put don't put your real birth in. Put it in just a day before Black Friday sales or the Boxing Day sales, all basically any major sale time, because then they might send you like a twenty dollar vouch for your next purchase of say seventy dollars, right, and that happens to just coincide with the massive sales kickoff.
Speaker 1: That is a genuinely good idea.
Speaker 2: So that is when we can't call it a white lie.
Speaker 1: Because it's just a it's a straight up life.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but it's all in favor of saving money.
Speaker 1: Well done, that's actually that's a really good idea. I did the other day did you.
Speaker 2: Yes? On a makeup website? I was like, you know what, because it said we want to know your both because we've got some perks for you. So I just typed in about the tenth of November I think it was.
Speaker 1: And do you leave the year the same or do you knock a few years off?
Speaker 2: I actually think I made my off younger too. I can't remember the date I put in, but I was more focused on the day and the month.
Speaker 1: Do you find it more confronting now how far you have to scroll down to find your year?
Speaker 2: Wheel fortune, spinning that thing all the way back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just that's probably the most confronting thing for me. Just kind of scrolls scrolls, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, it's still not there yet. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: The passage of time. All right, I've got one more me too. Would you like to go first? Or shall I you go next?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So this one is something that we have done ourselves. It is the Ikea sellback kind of they buy back your furniture.
Speaker 2: I've heard of.
Speaker 1: This, we've done it, so tested it. I took one for the team and I went there and sold back some of our Ikea furniture because well, I was weighing up whether to sell it online, to jump onto marketplace, and.
Speaker 2: We know how much you love selling things online.
Speaker 1: It can be a battle on occasion to trigger for you. Yeah to some of those confrontations or discussions with potential buyers can be a little bit aggressive. So take your used Ikea furniture back into Ikea and they will buy it off you. So you register it before you go right, You jump onto the website and you pick out what you've gotten. Because everything has a particular name, you can find exactly what you've got if you've got the kind of TV unit or you've got a bedside table or something like that. We had a bunch of but probably four different things that where you could have sold online. It was easier though, for us to do this because otherwise you're doing four individual ads online dealing with four sets of people. Jump online. They give you a rough valuation on the website of what it's going to be worth based on kind of If you say it's in good condition, great condition, it's had a bit aware, it's not great, blah blah blah. You put it in there. It tells you roughly what it's worth. They you then take it in there, you go and get your ticket, You sit down. You wait. I had to wait probably half an hour for my turn. Take your furniture up. They come out, inspect it, make sure that it matches what you said it was online, and then they will give you a gift card to the value of what they are of what they're willing to buy it back from and for Ikea, so you can just wander straight through and buy something new, or you can keep it and I think it lasts like three years or something in order to to spend it. There are two other things to keep an eye on here. Number one is the fact that they occasionally have promotions where they will do double value or they will add on twenty percent or forty percent or fifty percent to the value of what it was in order to so brilliant. Yeah. Yeah, And so suddenly we had kind of something. We had some pieces and we sold them back for like it's like one hundred and fifty one hundred and eighty bucks or something, and we had guessed that if we were going to sell them online, we probably would have got maybe total of one hundred and twenty dollars or something like that. So much easier going into Ikea and doing it in there. And the best part as well is that because I was talking to the person in the shop about how it all works, and they said, what we actually do is we take this stuff right through. We will it straight through that door over there and put it in back on the shop floor right now, and we resell those things. So they're not going to landfill. It's not getting recycled or anything. It is being resold at the exact same price that they just paid you for it.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so they're not making anything.
Speaker 1: There is no markup. This is actually it's a sustainability initiative. If it sounds like I'm on the Ikea payroll, no I'm not. Never received a cent from them. But I have used this service and I actually found it really good. Takes all the hassle away from having to kind of deal with people online, and it was just easier and faster. And hey, it means that then people can buy that. If the bedside table was kind of they gave you twenty bucks for it, they will be selling it for twenty dollars again, and someone else who may not be able to afford to pay the eighty dollars or something that it would be new, can get it for twenty brilliant. I love that anyway. That's it. That's me. I am now exhausted. I have no savings hacks left. Please give us a nice, strong one to finish on.
Speaker 2: This is a good one, don't She is called Save. Someone recently made me aware of this. What's it called save? But it's spelt sa ive.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can see that would get a little bit confusing.
Speaker 2: So it is an AI generated platform that it actually guarantees to find you the cheapest energy price.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that idea.
Speaker 2: So the first year is free. I can't remember the top of my head how much you pay after that, but if you can just cancel it anyway, at anytime and you sign up and then you upload a bill and it will search for you and find you the best energy plan.
Speaker 1: That's a great tip, well, especially with you.
Speaker 2: Know, Somemian air conditions, going fans, going school, holidays, TVs on like everyone's home.
Speaker 1: I think it's brilliant and I love how quick that tip was compared to my eighteen minute I or extravaganza. Yours is done. Question.
Speaker 2: You had a personal experience where I haven't used this yet because it's still very new, but like and it's guaranteed find you the best rate, and they had like a ninety eight percent ninety bit of users have been able to find a better plan.
Speaker 1: That is good. All right, that's a good. That's a if. That was a Christmas lunch, like we've just had. We've had turkey, we've had ham, we've strawns. Definitely, we've maybe had some oysters. My ike one was definitely the oyster of the Christmas lunch. Okay, so we had ziffed the add on to try and the extension you called it to help you with your online shopping. You've got Flybuys and Woolies and Medibank private and earning points through exercise. We've got the tafe related kind of industries and getting cheaper restaurant meals and hairdressers and barbers and beauty salons through there. We had the Nroma app or the NRMA membership rather where you can get discounts of the seven Rewards app, the entertainment app, which is a paved stolen yes stolen, a stolen tip, Yes, that's right. We had the Ikea sellback fantastic quality tip that one from me. We've got save saive to get the best possible energy price. And then the cheeky little white lie of changing your birth date when you're signing up to an online retailer to make it very close to the Black Friday sales so that they will send you about you just when you get maximum bang for your buck. That's a good cheeky tip, cheeky tip, and a good overall kind of range of tips.
Speaker 2: We go far and wide. We want we look out to help everybody.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't want to kind of blow our own trumpet here, but I feel like we've just given a fantastic Christmas gift, so the listeners have had it there for that.
Speaker 2: I feel like to wright just unconditional loving, saving tips.
Speaker 1: In the spirit of Christmas? All right? Can I if anyone wants more information from you and wants to see some of the savings tips that you do occasionally kind of pepper throughout your social media feeds. Where do they find you?
Speaker 2: Best place is Sugar Mama TV on Instagram.
Speaker 1: There we go, so you've already got one foot out the door Christmas lunches.
Speaker 2: Call cold Champagne.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's coming all right, and you can hear me every day, including throughout Christmas and the New Year period, every day with Sean Aylmer on fear and great daily business news for people who make their own decisions. Thank you very much for listening to How do they Afford That? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. The best thing you can do is share the love. Send this podcast on to somebody else, Share this episode, spread the word about how do they afford that? Thank you very much for your company. Join us again next week