Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average persons never exposed her. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. If you think being a police officer makes you immune to being a victim, you are mistaken. Today's guest form of police officer, Carolyn Clark grew up in a home where love and violence lived side by side. Her mother's suffering became a temper for her own. Caroline spent almost a decade as a police officer in the UK. Then, in twenty twenty four, the routine massage appointment Caroline was sexually assaulted, she FROs and for a woman who has spent her career in control, who had trained for threat, who had seen what silence does to victims, her response was one that she couldn't explain. What followed was a pursuit of justice, reckoning with her past, and the unraveling of a cycle of abuse she could finally trace all the way back to her childhood. Caroline Clark, welcome to I Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thank you well.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to having the chat with you today. We're going to delve into some interesting things and some of let's be open, some of them are fairly traumatic because I'm going to ask you to talk about the time when you were sexually assaulted and the process that you went through and the impact it had on you. But I think it's important that we find out who you are before we start talking about a thing that had a dramatic effect on you. I notice you've come in wearing a T shirt No more silence. What's that about?
Speaker 2: So this has come on the back of the sexual assault Yeah, and understanding how many people have been abused. There's so much stigma, particularly around sexual abuse. Yes, So the normal Science movement was created to help people to break their silence and then to have the shame back to where it belongs.
Speaker 1: I like the concept of that that for too long, victims of sexual abuse have felt like they've contributed in some way, whether that's child's sexual abuse or other forms of sexual abuse, and the victims of villified sometimes and so good on you. Let's speak up about it. There shouldn't be any shame to it, and the only shame is on the people that perpetrate these.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely so. No, this mission has grown somewhat since that sexual assault, which is great.
Speaker 1: Interesting backstory. You got yourself. You're a police officer over in the I was.
Speaker 2: I joined in nineteen ninety four when I was twenty years old, so I served nearly eight years in West Yorkshire, yep in the north of England. So yeah, I think it's very much shaped who I am today those years in the police force.
Speaker 1: What made you want to join the place?
Speaker 2: Well, I grew up in a little mining town. I always had this dream to go to the city lights or explore the world. And I got a job in an insurance company and I just realized every single day the same faces on the train or looking miserable and I was like, is this people's lives forever? Just like nine to five. Anyway, I was sitting at my desk one day typing and my colleague was having this conversation on the phone and sounded really exciting, and she put the phone. I said, what was Actually all my sisters joined the police force and she's just been chasing some criminals through a car park. And I thought, oh, that sounds a lot more interesting than just tapping on a keyboard. So I thought, okay, I'll give them a call and perhaps I might join. And they said at the time that it was an eighteen month way. This I didn't tell anyone. Yeah, so I thought, if I don't get in, I don't want the shame of not being good enough. So I went on a waiting list for eighteen months.
Speaker 1: And yeah, got in. Okay, Well that's interesting because people listened to my podcast probably have heard me talk about why I joined the police. And I was having lunch from on the building site and I saw the cops chasing a bad guy and I thought, that looks like fun. So you didn't join for any noble reason. You joined because you thought it would be exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I was ambitious, courageous, determined. I think all of those qualities and values I had within almost like came up to the surface and went, well, I'm not actually fulfilling that in this role in an insurance communist. I felt there's probably a lot of wasted qualities within me that could have been news elsewhere. And I thought, okay, I was quite like that, though, I'll give that a go. What's the worst that can happen is.
Speaker 1: You know, well, yeah, I find the founder a fascinating career and you see a side of life that most people don't get to get see. It comes with costs, as we all know anyone that spent a length of time in law enforcement. It comes with costs, but there's a lot of interesting things that occur as well. And job satisfaction. Yeah, you talk about going to the same office day in day out. That's what I loved about the cops. Never knew what you were going to do each day. You could day it could start day up boring, and that could be the most exhilarating, fascinating, or traumatic day you've ever experienced. You just didn't know.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what I loved about it. I think I hate that just mundane life, and I would wake up and go, God, I wonder what I'm going to face today. Sometimes it would be horrific. Other times it could be, you know, exhilarating. You could come home and go, I really change someone's life today. And I think for me, I was always in service to humanity in some way, shape or form, and that job just met completely with my values, just knowing that you could make a change. And I think this is why I've probably gone on to do what I've done with every experience in life, is like, how can I change that around into something good to serve the public. And I think the police did that very well.
Speaker 1: And I think regardless of why we join all why people join the police, if you do commit to that job, you do understand that there is a public service and there is a lot of good and it makes you feel good about yourself, like they're doing worker to make people's lives a little bit better. Yorctually, where you were a police officer described the area that you were stationed in.
Speaker 2: So for me, when I joined, I was looking that my cousin worked in the recruitment department, so she said, you can choose any division.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But again the character that I had, and I think, deep down, when I've really done the work and looked into this, I think I was I was trying to impress my dad, because my dad was a very harsh man. So it was like, if I just throw myself in at the deep end, then I'll get praise from him. I'll finally be seen, I'll finally be commended in some ways. So I thought, Okay, I said, to a choose me the most notorious crime ridden division, throw me in there. Well, as you would know, if you're a good officer in a terrible area, you can't you can't leave, you can't get down, get stuck there. So it was called killing back. And yeah, I mean it was. I mean it was eleven miles from where I grew up, but I couldn't believe. It was almost like a different world. I'm like, do people really exist like this? I think it was a shot sharp shock. Even though I grew up in what I now realize this was a pretty domestic violence home. Seeing that, and I was just gobsmacked and appalled at the generational cycles of abuse that were just continuing over and over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I would imagine in an area like that, majority of crime, probably the main crime is domestic violence, and that that type of thing in low socio economic areas, that's quite often, quite often the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was very low socio economic but your laugh because it was that bad that the scriptwriters from the Bill would come out and get stories.
Speaker 1: I love that show. Yeah. Well, I enjoyed the Bill, although it was so I found it so really sick. In part sometimes when I was just tired of police work, I didn't feel like watching the Bill because you could you felt like you understood all the characters in there, the nature of it.
Speaker 2: It was so real, and we had to jerk and said, oh, you know, if you can't remember the cash and just watch the bill and then you'll get reminded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that's right. I did a little bit of work over in London and various police stations over there, and it looked like the said of the Bill. It was felt very familiar with it. How did you feel the first like you go through the academy, how did you feel the first day that you went out in uniform and working as a police officer. Because you think you're ready for it, but it usually comes as a shock. Have you got any experiences that showed you how little you knew?
Speaker 2: I think I was just reading naive when I look back, and as I say, I had that strength within, but I'm not really caught up to the reality of life, almost like I was probably living in a little bubble. So I remember the first time on foot patrol. And you remember, back in the early nineties, like women wore skirts and colots, we wore stock in so you're like a proper lady. And it was my tutor dropped me off. He said, you know, do two hours, but you have to get so many tickets. And it's like, okay. I remember these two kids walking at the other side of the street and the shouts OI, and I'm thinking they can't be talking to me. Surely they won't speak to a police officer like that. So I carried on walking in there are you And I looked around and said, excuse me, come here, in that sort of like teacher voice. I said, who are you speaking to? And they're like ff or something like that. I said, where are your manners? You know you don't speak to me that same please, And I think in that moment I realized that like the world I've grown up and is not the world that I'm going to survive In the police force, it's like I have to you almost have to meet them at their level. So I had a lot of on doing to do a naivety to survive in that job.
Speaker 1: Did you do single unit patrols in those days? That's interesting, like we do have them over in this country, but it's very rare. That's a sharp learning experience because at least when I started, invariably you had a partner that you could rely on. It didn't take very long before you became the senior partner, but for the first couple of months you had a buddy that looked after you and pointed you in the right direction.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, when you think about it, even putting a female out on her own, it's pre ludicrous. I mean, I remember chasing a car by myself, and times when you called to a hostage situation, but they would usually say wait outside the address until somebody arrived. But of course if you're outside and address and you can hear commotion and then you're just sitting in a car helpless. But you know, we it was all downe to numbers. If you didn't have it. You had a certain amount of cars, six cars, and you had to fill them.
Speaker 1: Yep, you weren't armed as well, were you back back in those days. Now that seems like a foreign concept to someone from law enforcement in this country because we always had the firearmors the backup. But that would have let you felt fairly vulnerable, I would imagine in certain circumstances completely.
Speaker 2: I mean when you think when we joined out, we had was a little truncheon. Yeah, this long, that's it. There was no capsican spray, there was no side handle baton, there were the floppy handcuffs, so we were really exposed. But I remember when the first brought the capsican spray in, we finally felt that we all had something more than just because no one really I think you only use your truncheon to smash a window. But we never had issues with guns back then. Yes, it was always knives. So my philosophy was, well, if we've got a gun, they're going to try and outbeat us in some way. So I don't know, part of me thought if we had guns would have there been more gun crime in the UK.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I understand where you're coming from because I was amazed that you could do the policing that you did in London without the firearms. But does tend to escalate if you've got the firearm. Well, the bad guys have got the firearm, and then it keeps going that way. Did you have any scary experiences anywhere you genuinely feed for your safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there wasn't too much of that. Actually, it's probably the safest I felt in my whole life, in the sense that growing up with a volatile father. For the first time I was actually surrounded by some really safe, protective men, right, and I think for me that was extremely comforting. I remember the first time, probably the scariest time, when I first joined I went to this burglary and it was, as you know, when you would get a call. By the time we arrived, times elapsed and they've gone. But this time we were around the corner and my colleague said to me, you go wait at the front and I'm going to go inside, meaning I'll face the danger. You can just be the observer. So I'm stood there thinking, okay, well, what do I do? No word of a lie. It was a textbook robbery. He literally jumped through the front glass window with his swag bag, and I thought, what do I do now? Like my tutor's not here to give me direction, So I chased after him down the street. It was about six foot two. We had this little ponytail, so I grabbed hold of him, grabbed his ponytail, pulled him because obviously you got leverage with the hair, dragged him to the ground. I remember we were rolling and I'm just thinking, what the heck am I doing? Like, where's my colleague? And the area that you're in, nobody comes to save a police officer. In fact, they just look over and laugh at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, when I eventually got up and I thought, oh, this job's fun. This is must be what you do every day. You get, you know, pretty naive. And this guy there was a warrant out for his arrest, and they're like, do you realize, Like I think I've got a braver accommodation for that. Do you realize what you've just done? I was like, oh, I just thought this happened every day.
Speaker 1: But they're the things, the situations that you find yourself in, and you know when you get through it. Sometimes I think, and we get paid for this because the excitement, the adrenaline, and I was drawn to that. I enjoyed that aspect of it. But it brings back memories like when you an alarm of breaking then and you might be on night shift and you're creeping, creeping around in the dark, not knowing what you're going to find. So yeah, it does leave impressions.
Speaker 2: I mean back in those days, it was when they used to take the ATMs out of the walls. You remember the used to be space.
Speaker 1: We had a spade of that. Then the two early two thousands and with.
Speaker 2: The trucks, and then I remember one guy, I think he was drunk. He had obviously come out of the pop and thought it was a good idea to go back in and take the safe and he had like a little shopping trolley and we caught him like pushing it down the street. Some mean, you have to laugh at those kind of.
Speaker 1: You've got to love love those moments. I still laugh very early in my career. And I think it went for about a kilometer and a half, chasing, chasing the naked man down the down the street at two o'clock, three o'clock in the morning, that we're looking out for the kidnapper that had been abducting or had abducted the child, chasing this naked man, thinking this is a kidnapper and helpful eather. I had an old sergeant with me at the time that wasn't really the type that was in a foot pursuit, so I'm ahead of him chasing this naked man. I still and then we're running up a hill and down streets and I remember, and I wasn't going to do it, but I thought he's getting away, getting away from me, and I've yelled that stop or I'll shoot. I wasn't going to shoot. I didn't have my firearm out, obviously, and he stopped at that moment, and I ran and grabbed him and wrestling with this naked man on the road. The sergeant I think I nearly killed him because he thought, who is this young idiot as in me saying stop or I'll shoot, So he sprinted up there he collapsed beside us. But yeah, it's it's strange the circumstances that you find yourself in.
Speaker 2: And it's funny, isn't it how when you're in a conversation, how it actually invokes old memories. Yeah, because I have there's so much that I've forgotten. But when you start to have a conversation, and I remember chasing some kids because I was pretty fit back then, but you know, some of these little whipper snappers. You can't catch them, right, And I remember running, you know, and your feet are running faster than you and I literally fell over, like ripped all my tights and skin was hanging off my leg. And I remember this, all these kids just laughing at me. I thought, oh God, I hope I never ever see them again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's joys of placing. Did you get into the criminal investigation side of placing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, as far as I got was in drugs. I went into the drugs team, which was.
Speaker 1: That like that would have been interesting times because drugs were being pretty prevalent as out now, but very much so in the in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very prevalent. I think the fun part of that was doing all the concerts, like I remember V ninety seven we did the Yeah we did. We were in plain clothes and I remember being told, look, we're not going to arrest for cannabis because there'll be that much of it unless it's a serious amount, but just take it off them and like we were walking around with pockets and pockets of weed, and yeah, it was it was fun. I think the downside to that was all the surveillance, and I just wanted to be in the heat of the moment. I wanted to be in the thick of it, on the front line, whereas there was hours and hours sitting in cars almost falling asleep, watching houses. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you say, vake memories. I think the countless times I've been seeing in the car at all hours of the day, night and sitting there trying to trying to stay awake and try not to miss anything, and being cold or hot or all the different different things. But yeah, well that's what you sign up for when you do policing. You worked child protection as well, so that.
Speaker 2: Was outside of the police, which has been interesting because I think I've always been driven towards understanding trauma, even though I didn't realize I was. So the child protection was in twenty four hour homes, and it was kids who had literally been passed through from parents to foster care to the point where they had nowhere to go. So I mean, these were heavily, heavily tromized children, and I struggled because there were kids who were hitting you, spitting at you, and I thought, in the police force we had powers to do something. And of course it was no fault of these children. However, the children were heavily protected and I was drowning in that job. I was like, you know, bosses would just turn a blind eye, and I think for me, there was a big part of my vulnerability was still quite exposed. I had that mother figure in me. I just wanted to help everyone. But again, when we talk about does that help you to survive in a home like that, that mother inside of me didn't.
Speaker 1: If you want to help everyone, then you jump deep enough into a dark area, you find that you just haven't got the capabilities of it. It's too much, too too much to deal with. What time you left the place? Why did you started to leave the place?
Speaker 2: I had a car accident.
Speaker 1: It was working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it wasn't a choice. And that was a very dark time of my life because, as you know, you join a family and literally we would have back then, we had bars in police stations. I don't know whether you had those.
Speaker 1: Not officially, okay, so we deny their their allegation.
Speaker 2: So you had little secret underground bars, but we had proper bars. So if you were to say a two to ten shift, everybody would go up for one drink, we would debrief, we would connect, and we all relied on that as a sort of camarade and connection. So two thousand and one I had a car accident and I thought, I'll be fine, I'll just you know, get fitter and get back to the job. But back then they were like, we'd pay civilians a lower wage than you. Why'd we wait for you to get fit and be back on the job. So I was pensioned out and I went into quite a deep depression because, as you know, like suddenly whereas everyone I thought these were all my friends, and it was the lonely, scariest time. I mean, I was obviously in a lot of pain with my back, but everyone who I thought was my friends, or a lot of them, weren't they.
Speaker 1: It's funny because you join the police and as distinct from other careers, it's like you're part of a I don't know, a club or family. You call it a family. I think that's played out too much because once you've left that so called family, you realize it's not so much of a family. You have friends in there. But yeah, there is a saying there's nothing more X than an ex police officer. So it does impact on you because that's part of your identity when you're a police officer. I speak for myself, but I think it's generally accepted that that is part of your identity as a police officer. So when you leave, it's not unusual to be a little bit lost.
Speaker 2: Well it's like who am I? I mean, if you think a purpose, absolutely, and if you think about leaving a bank, you can go to another bank. Well you can't go to another police force. Yes, there's no role that they want to provide for me because they don't want to take on me and keep my wages as a civilian. So it's like, well I've got all these qualifications, but what am I actually qualified to do? So there was that period of where do I belong? But yeah, the losing the family was really tough for me because it was everything. I mean, you're literally when you're not at work, you've got a small amount of downtime. I was single, so I didn't have children in a family life, so they were everything to me.
Speaker 1: So I struggled well, because your work shift, work too odd hours and the type of things that you're doing, you do tend to socialize, especially if you're on night shift. You can't play with anyone during the day other than the other people that are on nightshift. So yeah, I can understand. I very much understand how it can be difficult when you leave and not buy your own own choosing. Can we talk about your upbringing there? I want to raise that where did you grow up before you found your way in policing. What was your childhood like? So?
Speaker 2: I grew up in a little mining town, so I went through the Minus strike. That was pretty tough.
Speaker 1: So this is for help us that live on the other side of the world. But Yorkshire is That's how I identify as a mining town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of coal mining.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so a tough, hard, hard town. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, I was born in nineteen seventy three. You know, in the eighties there was all the minor strikes. Luckily my dad didn't work in that field. He was a printer, so we weren't as affected.
Speaker 1: Could just stop you there, just on that aspect with the minor strikes, because I still have recollections of seeing the vision on the news. They were violent strikes, weren't they And the police were at the forefront of policing stuff, and there was some real violence that played out and they oh.
Speaker 2: Terrible, and I mean, you know, there were people who wanted to go to work but stayed off, so they were the ones that were protesting. But there were some that had families that had to go to work, so they used to call them scabs and they were like throw things at the bus because the bus would have to go through, you know, the protesters through the picket line, and you know, I think we'd never see place with the you know, the shields, and I mean, this is just at the end of my road. It was really confronting, and I remember kids at school had no money, no clothes. It was a really tough period of time in that town.
Speaker 1: Your family, family environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was mom and dad and my sister who was fourteen months older. Look, it's hard to know what I remember and what I've gone back and rejigged all the memories through my healing, but look, it was very very controlling. Mom was terrified of my dad.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 2: You know those kind of homes where it was your dad's coming home. That kind of like dad's coming home, we need to go and hide. When I was three years old, I was confronted with the first time I ever saw dad and mom almost in a fight when I ran to pull my dad off my mom. He was drunk. In fact, you know, the vision of that moment is so strong in my mind just goes to show how trauma embeds itself in you that I even remember what he was wearing. And I was this little three four year old, and I must have heard screams. So I jumped out of my bedroom and I jumped onto his bed, and I was his height, so I must have been small because he's only a small man. And I remember grabbing his shirt. So imagine he's wearing a button shirt like you and ripping it. And I remember they've seen the buttons flying off and screaming like, don't you hurt my mom? Leave my mom. Can you imagine as a three year old, that's her protector, her safe person, Suddenly he's not safe anymore. So I think that would have been a pivotal moment in my childhood to go, well, if he's not safe and he's not protecting us, it's now my job. And when I look at my journey into the police force, I was already trained. Gary. You know you think wow too. I mean, as a three year old to confront her father, no wonder. Every time I went into a domestic van situation, I said to my male colleague, I'll take the man, as we feel quite emotional now. And he said, well, why are you taking the man? I said, I can de escalate. I had no idea. It's because I'd already confronted danger many times over, so I think that path for me was always meant to open up. Now. That was my earliest memory. Everything else is quite foggy, but we were petrified of him, and even as a teenager, I remember standing up to him, which we rarely did because we knew what would happen, and he threw me against the wall in the house. I remember my head hitting sort of the hard artexts in wall and just being absolutely shocked to the core of how we went from not to ten in a split second.
Speaker 1: And I, as a teenager, yeah, it's not a not a good environment. There was something in prepping for the podcast I read that had been written about your childhood, not just really early FA's and then we'll talk about it. Caroline grew up in a home where love and violence live side by side. She witnessed emotional and physical abuse, control and fear, and she watched her mother suffer through all of it in silence. The silence became her inheritance talk us through that. What are we reflecting on there?
Speaker 2: So in twenty nineteen I went back to the UK and I went to see my mum's best friend of fifty years and I talked a little bit to her and I said, can you give me some indication because my mum had she was in dementia at that stage, quite quite late stages, Just to give me some indication of what my childhood was like. And she said, your mum used to come to work with chunks of hair pulled out. Well you know how hard it must take to yeah, and with and bruises. And she would always say I fell down the stairs. As we know now, you think chunks of hair pulled out is not conducive with falling down the stairs. So it started to give me this sort of picture of my childhood. Now, if mom didn't tell anyone, she was already born into that silence herself. So I felt my role was to keep mom happy. So if Mum was happy, she was almost the barometer of the home. If Mom's happy and Mom's safe makes we feel, then I'm safe. And I think that's how a lot of people grow up in childhood domestic violence is they become that parent figure to the parent, so they robbed of the childhood. So Mom's silence was passed on to me that we don't speak about abuse. We don't we make excuses that we protect the man, because if we don't protect the man, then the person who is in line for the punishment would have always been my mom.
Speaker 1: And how does that manifest itself in a child in a family home, Like you would be very mindful to not trigger anything in your father to say the violence escalades, and you're protecting your mother by staying silent and keeping the peace because your mother was the person that was going to be the brand of it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean I do remember even when she first started in the early stages of dementia, she was still able to verbalize, and I would always stick up for her. I remember hers pulling on one side and saying, do not stick up for me, because I copy it when I go home, So she was almost silencing me. So don't you say anything, don't protect me, because I'm going to be the punchbag. Right, So you see how this generational silence is passed on. So then in me, embreding me is what would happen if I was to speak my truth, and the consequences in me would always be what my father did. So even if I go out to the world to speak my truth, I've got this little voice going. Remember what happens when you speak up, which is the father figure. So you're almost in every situation fearing the father until you actually do the work to not be afraid of him, which I did to confront him and not be afraid of him anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm under stay where you're coming from, and it makes me quite sad when you're hearing you reflect on your life and the trauma that's passed on from your mother from that family environment, because whether you like it or not, you are a product of the environment in which you grow up. There's another passage that's been written in relation to yourself. And if I could read that out and then we can talk further about that. She was a good girl. She learned early that keeping the peace was safer than telling the truth, that being loved meant making herself small, and the detachment was worth the cost of her authenticity. She carried that blueprint into adulthood without knowing it was there. So that's exactly what you were talking about, that making yourself a small girl not going to upset it.
Speaker 2: So what happens is, I mean, we're all born authentic, we're bomb pure, we're born with our individual expression. Now what happens in the first several years of life is we start to trade the authenticity, which is our true selves, for attachments. So if there's disapproval, dismissal, you know, you're over sensitive, you're too much, you're too dramatic. All those labels we get told, they start to get imprinted. Well, if I'm too much of this and not enough of that, You're constantly trying to work out how can I get love from these two parents. And if they tell me I'm too dramatic, then I have to be quiet. If I'm too sensitive, you know, then I have to sort of tough en up. So you're constantly reassessing because you're wanting to keep this cord of attachment to the parents. So this is how we lose who we are for those first several years and become who we need to be to have love and belonging, because you think a child can't survive by itself, so.
Speaker 1: They need that sense of belonging and they need that nurturing.
Speaker 2: Protection because when you think about it, you're in survival for those first few years of your life. And you know when you talk about telling someone, I remember running to my grandma's house when Dad had done something to me. I was about nine years old, and back at that time, I was having incredible migraines nosebleeds. So something happened to me at nine that I'm not quite sure. I haven't sort of gone back and pulled out the memory, but I remember running to my grandma's, my paternal grandma, very protective of her golden boy Grandma Grandma, grandma Dad, and I explained what he did and just thought, finally I can just sit down and be held. And she just looked at me. She went, your dad wouldn't do that, and I thought wow. So of course in that moment, I'm like, hey, I'm not believed and I've told the truth, and she's defending my father. So you see also this sort of You've got this father who was violent, he was volatile. His mother is basically saying my son could do no wrong. And the reasons she did that because she feels some sense of responsibility because she raised him. So she's also protecting herself by going no. So the sailence continues. I did speak up, I went for help, and I got told that didn't happen. So it's like, would I risk then speaking up again, because then I have to carry it and think, oh, well, I'm a bud girl. I may be exaggerated.
Speaker 1: I suggest Yorkshire would be similar in what I'm talking about here. In the communities that I worked and the communities I grew up in, like domestic violence. It was almost like, well, you don't talk about that, like you lived in a I grew up in a suburban street and there might be someone's you're always hearing things come from that house, and the response is, oh, that's just John, he gets cranky when he's had a drink. That type of type of commentary, and it was swept under the cup, but people wouldn't talk about. Yeah, we call it for what it is these days, it's domestic violence and coercive control and all the other labels that we've got for that type of behavior. But there was a generation and not that long ago where it was sort of accepted and we just don't talk about it. And that's a lot of life that women are born into when they're in a marriage. Do you think we've changed and progressed.
Speaker 2: I'd like to say yes, but when I look at the domestic violence rates and the amount of women being killed so far this year, I would say I think we've progressed in the sense that women are getting a voice and there's services for them to be heard. But I think we've got a long way to go when it comes to protecting women, for women to be believed. And I'll talk about it when I go into what happened to me, But I think the culture around domestic violence sexual assault is very much to blame the victim, and I think that's what needs to change, is to stop going what did she do and rather look at it was his choice, why did he do that? So I think we've got a long way to go with a justice system with I mean, Queensland's just cut the domestic bands funding by thirty odd million this week alone.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize ever. I thought if anything to be increased, it would be there.
Speaker 2: So the public are looking and going, you know, how can we be protected? How can women feel safe? And they're saying, well, we're taking the funding a way when you know four women have just been killed in four days. Yeah, So I think I call it like we've got a ceiling level of there's only so far that we can go as the public. But we can do way more than what people imagine, which is to talk about it, to mates, to call their mates out. So I think let's not be so disheartened that change isn't happening immediately, but we can all make changes in our community.
Speaker 1: I think that I agree with you, and I think what you said mates need to call their mates here, Yes, I think. Yeah, if men are the rule of the problem with domestic violence and the perpetrators of domestic violence, I suggest there's no one that commits domestic violence that someone doesn't know other than the victim, that the person's committing domestic violence. Yeah, we know there's people that you get that person looks a bit violent when you get get drunk. You can tell invariably because they're cowards. It doesn't happen out in the public because someone might call them. They wait till they get behind behind closed doors. But I think we need to change the narrative that it's just not on. And I was speaking to Hannah Clark's parents about and from Queensland. You know that the tragedy that befell their family with a violent person that set their daughter alight in their three grandchildren, and Hannah's father made I think a very telling point and he was a knock about played football and a really decent human being, and he was saying that when we're out at the pub with your mates and someone talks disrespectfully about their partner or whatever, and it could be as simple as the phone rings, it's just the wife. She's nagging me, she wants me to come home. We're going to start checking males. We've got to start checking each other on that type of behavior. Not to disrespect women and to call it for what it is, and domestic violence, it's just cowardly. I think all perpetrators of domestic violence should be put in the boxing ring with someone that can fight. See how they feeling being slapped around.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, I I got so much I could say about this, But on the makeship thing, I know it's even in the minds when the blokes are sort of like talking derogatory about women. And I remember saying to one guy, like, do you call each other out? And he said, no, it's it's not for us to do that. It's none of our business. And I said, but you have to make it your business. So I think that's the almost the mentality that needs to change is oh, well, he's a mate, but that part isn't my business. Well, if it's a may it is your business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but I agree with you. But I also understand that that could be a response from a mile and that we don't like the deal with the hard issues. We'll talk about the football, and it's when blokes get together, ours life good and they could be going through a terrible time, and we don't like to talk about those issues. So maybe we've got to get it out there. And Okay, if someone is violent or someone's mistreating their partner as a mate, you should first of all ensure that doesn't occur, but find out what the root cause of the problem is. Why is this person doing this? And I'm sure we've just got to change it. You've been a police officer, you know we can't arrest our way out of the situations. Yeah. Yes, we can put more resources into domestic violence legislation that helps protect victims of domestic violence, but we've got to prevent it in the first place if we can. Rather than going hard through the courts and policing, we've got to work out why is it happening so often.
Speaker 2: Well, just going back to the whole matship thing, if you think about you made a really valid point. You said, Oh, we just want to say how's your day gone, and keep it quite surface level. We don't want to dip down into talking about emotions. Well, this is culture, Gary, this is men don't show their feelings. Men just tough en up. Well, this is what we wanting to change. And even if you think about suicide, how much you know material is out there in the media about mates need to check in with each other. So if you put suicide and domestic violence together, you're just checking in and saying how you go in Like you know, I've just noticed your wife's been on the phone, like you say, like how do you feel? So it doesn't matter what's going on behind closed doors with mental health DV. It's about really going beneath the surface and asking yourself a question. If I feel uncomfortable really going deep and asking in what's going on? What is it with me that I'm afraid to ask him the same question? Because we want everyone to talk, we want young boys to talk. We want to change that culture mentality around girls can't get angry and boys can't cry, which comes back to generations and generations ago that I feel we're still breaking free of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's how we're raised, that's how we do things. I shouldn't laugh because it is potentially at the core of the problem, isn't it, Because that's what we're taught not to, not to show emotions, bottle up the emotions, which I've got to say, I agree in part sometimes men need to step up and be men, but you've got to show a little bit of vulnerability too, that if you're struggling, reach out to a mate. That's what matship's meant to be about. And then for the girls, as you've described in your upbringing, and I like the way that you've described it because it's really given me a thought on an understanding of how this is occurring, that you've just grown up in the environment that I've got to be small. I can't upset. If I upset, there's going to be violence inflicted, not necessarily on me, but on someone else. So I'm not going to make waves. And there are a lot of women that go through that you see, and you would have seen when you're a police officer, that the timid woman that you walk into a place and you know something terrible's happen, like there's been mystic violence, and the wife is sitting there, all the partners sitting there going now, it's all fine, It's all fine, and trying the day on play it not cause.
Speaker 2: Problems, and you've I think this is a really good subject to talk about. See if I can just rewind and talk about how I ended up sort of being bullied at school and in relationships that also kept me small is because it's almost like there was a computer program running so that first several years, you know, the protector, the safe person, the dad was everything but that and then I learned to play small, stay quiet, don't upset him. So of course I get bullied at school because what happens is you can't outlive the pattern. The pattern had already been stitched into me about how to show up, never ever cause conflict, don't stick up for yourself because I said to you earlier. When I did, Dad threw me against a wall, so that was in me. Don't ever face someone and be courageous and speak out, because you're going to get thrown against a wall. So all throughout high school I got bullied by someone smaller than me. But it wasn't about a size. It was about what I've been trained. Just keep walking, it'll stop, just keep walking. And she was kicking me like for twenty minutes all the way home, and I was like crying on the inside. Bradette turned around to her because I saw what happened when my mom did or I did. So then you go on and then you wonder why all these women end up in relationships where they're being controlled. There's a bully because they've learned early on. They haven't outlived the pattern. They're still trying to outrun their father. But you're running into exactly the same four walls a because it's familiar. Oh well, at least unconsciously, I know what to expect. I've been here many times before. So when people ask how do you end up in the same domestic violence homes? They don't intentionally walk there, but the first time someone raises a hand or they cower down and go and know how to keep safe because I've done it many times over.
Speaker 1: Well, you're talking about something that the question is quite often asked, where someone's being a victim of domestic violence and they go straight from that relationship into another relationship with another perpetrator of domestic violence. And you see it time and time again. But the explanation you gave there might add some light to it. Well.
Speaker 2: I also think this is where police, possibly in first responders, would really benefit from being trauma trained, because you know, you have trauma bonds and it's just the familiarity. And there's a saying that you marry the person you've got the most psychological wounding with. So let's go again look at my father so that people can understand. So I'm going to keep meeting versions of him. I mean, luckly I never ended up in a violent relationship. I were in a lot of manipulative, yes, relationships that I didn't understand. I mean back in the day in the police force. No one talked about cohesive control. It was only ever if they've got a bruise, there's evidence. So as we know now, the evidence and evidence isn't necessarily a bruise. So you marry the person that you've got the most wounding with more and more, dad, So you're going to keep meeting versions. And I think when people really understand that, oh, perhaps I've just I'm back in a relationship with my father because I need to heal that relationship with him psychologically.
Speaker 1: It's deep, very deep. But yeah, I understand what you're saying, and that does make sense. Yeah, because continues.
Speaker 2: Because if I have to be honest in the police force, I would take a statement. There'd be a woman who had been beaten up, and I knew the chances that she'd revoke the statement. You've been there, right, and the chances were so high. Honestly, I hate to say this now, but I used to feel frustrated. Oh my god, she's pulled out, you know, look at her. We know it's going to happen. So from a bystanders perspective, we can see exactly what's going to play out, right, and it's just going the cycle is going to keep on continuing. Now I know the trauma side of it. I've got the utmost compassion for these women. Now, if people don't understand why she goes back, this is again the woman gets judged. How can she be so stupid? She knows what's going to happen. It's way more complicated than that when you're adding the trauma, the trauma bonds, the psychological wounding. So if only police and first responders knew what was deeply going on under the surface, we could have more compassion for or say to these women. Have you ever heard about a trauma bond? This is why you keep going back? Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think education along those lines would be beneficial because it almost becomes you, well, they've done it again, And I can see where you lose the compassion if someone's gone from this relationship into the next one and the next one. And if you're staying policing long enough in the same area, you just see the pet neighboring. Hi, Mary, how are you another partner? You've got to choose a better partner, but they keep going back to the same type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're not choosing a partner from a conscious mind. You're choosing it from what you've known from childhood. And this is the Oh, you have to choose a better partner. Whereas the partners find each other because we're here. We're just here to evolve and learn, and every relationship's a lesson. But if we roll our eyes and go, oh, there she goes again.
Speaker 1: The education for people, whether it's through school, is a responsibility of schools. Do you think we can do something more in the education space, because, as you know, there's a lot of children that they're not growing up in healthy environments and so they're callding that world. As much as we try to protect them with the services that we provide for children at risk, invariably it's an unhappy childhood filled with trauma. How can we break the cycle? What's your thoughts on breaking the cycle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it takes a village. So I think there's no one answer, And I think it's unfair to put the responsibility on the schools because it's like you plant a seed in the ground and it grows in that environment. That's the whole and it needs to nourish and flourish in there. But if parents are raising children and they haven't looked at their own blueprint and their own past and their own say, violent background. It just regurgitates. And again, it's not something that's conscious, it's unconsciously passed on. So for instance, I've got four sons, So I'm like, okay, I've been gifted four sons because I've been asked to break the generational cycle of male abuse. How wonderful that I was given four sons. So I go, okay, if I've got an opportunity, now, how do I want to raise those boys differently? Now that takes a lot of awareness, It takes a lot of self introspection, and it takes a lot of casting yourself aside and going what does their future look like? Okay? And I'm programmed in them every single day. So it's the family home. It says all looking at where did we come from? How has it affected us? And you know, anyone who's been in a violent home, it has to with all carrying trauma. So we can't go, oh gosh, yeah, my dad was an Alcohl hollick and my mum just sat and boxed her self in and played small. But I'm absolutely fine. Yeah, you know, no, So I think it's it's been that's the courage, and we talk about vulnerability is the superpower. So the way I raise my sons is to say, show your emotions, but take responsibility from them, not be a victim of poor me. So there's a fine line between I feel sad, I feel angry, I feel hurt. It's my responsibility then to unpack that and let it be a superpower rather than a failure for boys and young men. So I think it's it's actually so looking at our stuff changing the next generation, and I think their school education is around consent is huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's another topical issue, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, consent, and I think accountability. I mean, we'll talk about the justice system, but unless someone owns what they've done, that I take ownership for it, and then how do you repair it? Which is what I always did with the boys when they scuffled. It's okay saying sorry. You know I could go sorry and you know full well, it's just sorry. It's just a word, right, So how do we teach children to own it and say it was a mistake. As my youngest goes, it's just a beautiful little accident. So not punishing children for their errors because if you punish for your errors, how you're ever going to own it? Then so and then repair if you've it's make amends. If you've messed up, go to that person, I'm sorry. What can I do to make it better? How can I can I mend that? Because all these prisoners are in prison, if they don't take accountability for anything, they're just then thrown back out onto the street and regurgitate what they went in there for.
Speaker 1: Well, accountability is a big thing, and I worry in today's society if you're talking the woke society at the extreme and that you know there's good aspects of it, there's bad aspects like any views, but we need accountability. I am worried that I see a generation of people that have never had to accept setbacks. They're rewarded, like I think it was a good lesson in life when you went in your first swimming carnival and you came last, or the kid that put in more effort came first. But we don't have that. It's encourage that there's no responsibility for your actions. Accountability. I'd like to see more accountability as you just describe the story there if someone's done something wrong, yeah, I know I did something wrong, but why you explained to me why you did, why you did that and the impact it had on people and get them to understand that. I worry that we're not teaching those skills with the generation the kids growing up. Now, what's your thoughts there?
Speaker 2: And it's interesting to say about teaching My model is being okay. So imagine you're my son in the home and I mess up, I say I didn't do that. Yeah, So how can we teach it if we're not being it ourselves? And this is what I say to my clients is it's your state of being. So I'm always watching if I mess up. This is a beautiful opportunity to show the children that I'm human, yes, and that I can say, oh gosh, mum's made a mistake. But this is what I do with it. And I loved what you said when you said the impact, I mean you put this into Imagine reading a victim impact statement out, You're showing the offender the effect it's had on you. So imagine if that's what we did. It's not about necessary behavior, it's how it made me feel. So if we could start to have those conversations with our children, but owning it and not deflecting. And I see it all the time in parents going I didn't do that, And I'm thinking, oh, my goodness, if you if that's what you're modeling, how is your child ever gonna look and go, oh, I know what to do now when I make a mistake, I'll just deny it because that's what mom and dad does.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, you sort of touch into restorative justice, and I think that's such a big thing too, like people taking accountability and understanding the impact that their crimes or their actions have had. And I taught crimes it doesn't have to be a crime, the impact your action has had on that someone.
Speaker 2: And I think the question I would ask, and it would be the same of my sexual offender, would be what happened to you? What's your memory of the response you got when you owned up to something? And it might be you know, and I come here from absolute compassion, I've got a beating. Yeah, So again we go back to childhood trauma. I always bring it back to that, like if they've got a memory of something dreadful and devastating happened when they said I did that, Yeah, then there's a part of them going, don't you ever own up to anything again, because you'll get a beating. So it comes back to parenting, not that punitive disciplinarian. It's sitting down and going you're human. Well, we will make mistakes, but it's what we do with the mistake. How do we repair it, how do we look at the impact, and how do we change our behavior?
Speaker 1: Some interesting stuff. We could talk for hours about it. Prior to you coming on the podcast, we had a conversation and I raised with you if you're happy to talk about it. But you were sexually assaulted and you alluded to it at the start of the start of the podcast. Are you happy to talk about the circumstances of what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure. So I had a really bad back, which I've had since the police force, and I when I was recommended a massage therapist. I try cairapractice, various other things, and when you're in pain, you'll do anything to quell that. So it was the fourth massage with this particular person. And you know, at first I thought, oh, a man, and my friend said, no, he's got the safest hand and amazing, How again, you go on recommendation and you're like, if someone who I trust has said that he's safe, then I'll go with that. And yeah, it was the fourth massage and I was lying there and you can imagine, I mean We're probably three quarters of the way through. I mean I'm on my back, fully relaxed, eyes closed. I mean, you're almost in a unconscious state. I just remember thinking, what the heck is that sensation? And it's again, I feel like time just slows down. And you would know this from the police force. When something happens, you feel like it takes you an eternity to react, like what the heck is that sensation? And then I realized I was doing that. Like this, this whole feeling came over my body of surely not, surely not, and then this panic and this panic, and it was like this little tiny part of me was going no, no, no, stop stop stop. And it was a child like a child like cry. And it was this feeling of how can I be crying and screaming so loudly but nothing is coming out. It's like it was the noise was bouncing off my rips. My whole body went limp. And I would say that it felt like there was a disassociation, but also a part of me just thinking when's it going to stop? When's it going to stop? Interestingly enough, at the time, I was watching a Netflix show about a backpacker from the UK that went on a tinder day. She never made it out of his hotel room. It was so fascinating. I'd watched that the night before. Now bearing in mine, I'm in a darkened room on a massage table in his home. Nobody knew I was there. So when we think about survival instincts, part of my mind would have been going, am I going to get out of here alive? But what I couldn't understand Gary, And this is what I rappled with. If I could take men down in the street, if someone grabs me in Ali, I would fight back. This two parts of me going what the heck happened? That put me into such a limp stay that I not only couldn't fight him, I can't even speak. And that's what left me with so much shame, guilt, humiliation of not being able to understand why can't protect myself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I understand what you're saying there, And people might say, well, why didn't you tell him to stop that type of narrative. But I've had a conversation with you and understand exactly why that didn't take place. But here you are beating up yourself going why didn't I do Why didn't I do this? Why didn't I do that? So, and I want to talk about the freeze response, and I want to talk about it in detail and will unpack that in part two. But when that happened to you, and the importance of sitting down speaking to you before we go straight to that in the podcast, I wanted people just to understand what the confident woman that you are and that you've gone through this situation. Can you tell us and we'll talk about how you got justice for what happened, how you process what happened, and how it's virtually changed your life or given you a direction in life. But after it happened, you've walked out what was going through your mind.
Speaker 2: So firstly was let me just get out of here. Now. Usually when you get changed after a massage, you're left in the room by yourself. The person will say call me when you're ready. So my clothes were near the door, thankfully because that was my exit room, and probably ten seconds after I went to get dressed, he walked behind me. I thought it was going to hit me over the head. I could feel him. It was probably, you know, between you and I away watching me. So part of me is just get the hell out of here. So I got dressed and I sort of turned my head where I couldn't look at him in the eye. I was so so utterly disgusted and betrayed. And I said to him, do you do this to all the women? That's all I could say. And he said, no, just to you, because I've got a crush on you. So of course you leave and then you start to and this is the head mess. Oh he had a crush on me, does It's almost like that makes it okay. So part of you that wants to internalize it, Oh, well he's thirty four, I'm fifty one. Oh maybe I should be flattered. So I get in the can all of these things, because guess what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to dilute it so it's not so much of a big deal, so I can push it under the carpet, you know, and then I don't have to unpack it, I don't have to face it. So I got in the car and I remember just driving home thinking what the heck, crying, I would walk over broken glass for my four sons. I took men down in the street, like beating myself up, like, oh my god, you know you're weak, you'repathetic, Like why can't you speak? People are going to think you want to what are you going to say to? Are you going to say anything at all? And I got home. I remember going into my bedroom and just bursting into tears, going what the heck do I do with this?
Speaker 1: Now? Well, all those questions that you were asking of yourself, that's where, yeah, perpetrators get away with things because they put the shame on yourself. So I'm sorry that you went through that. I appreciate you talking about it and being open and honest about all the things that are going through your head when you've experienced something like that. We'll take a break now, if that's okay, And when we get back, I want to really have a deep dive into the freeze response because I think people need to understand that. And you've said that this is something that the court police don't understand. Why the public juries people just don't understand. I think the explanation that you give for it and the way that you describe it is worthwhile people are understanding because the and I'm playing devil's advocate here, the response from people would be, well, why didn't you tell him to stop? Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you do that? It's not that simple, is it.
Speaker 2: It's not simple at all. And I think unless we educate the public, the silence is going to continue from the victim and the bystanders are always going to be blaming the survivor, and we need to flip that around. So I think talking about why the body does really does will not only help survivors to be compassionate with themselves, to take the blame away, and to educate the public on how to have a conversation with a survivor that doesn't involve judgment, yes, and doesn't involve questioning like an interrogation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, important things. Let's have a break and when we come back in part two we'll talk about that and also talk about the important work that you're doing as well. Thank you, Jess, mm hm