Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stella Podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin to your host, and every week I see down with some of the biggest names in the country. Because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. When Danny Minogue convinced her parents to let her try out for Young Talent Time at the age of seven, she had no idea of the impact it would have on not only her life, but her entire family, her parents, her brother and of course her sister, Kylie, because back in the early eighties, Minogue was just another surname in the phone book. But today, well it's a lot more than that. It's Danny, it's Kylie. It's disco and dancing and reality TV. It's World Pride and Mardi Gras and being an ally. It's a very famous genie that never got back in the bottle. From the moment Danny went from singing into a hairbrush in her living room to performing her first song on national TV. On today's episode is Something to Talk About, Danny joins me to discuss her love of matchmaking, her lowest moments, and what it was really like growing Up Minogue, Danny Minoque, Welcome to the Stellar podcast. You are here in Sydney today. You've come up from Melbourne. Thank you so much. Well, we're putting it through quite the long day. You're here with me in the Something to Talk About studio and then you're straight onto set with Stella to shoot a coverup. So you be exhausted by the time you get on the plane.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm so excited. I kind of last night I was getting that thrill of you know, there's something very very different about the Sydney energy when we come from Melbourne, and Melbourne's my little home family bubble. So it's like you get on the plane, you're all ready mentally like, okay, I'm going somewhere different. This is going to be a whole immersive day. It's just going to go so fast from the second it starts. And then you know, we get on the plane at night time and it's like did that all just happen? But seeing so many great faces, people that I know and I've worked with before, so it's it's just enjoy good. Now.
Speaker 1: For some people, the thought of having their photo taken is like as scary as having to give a speech, all the other things that insight fear in the average person. So for you that knows you're going to go on set and do this big shoot, the images are going to go everywhere. How do you feel about the process.
Speaker 2: It has changed wildly over the years, It really has. I think there was the younger me that was on Young Talent Time and it was just like smile and we were in kind of some fantastic little family pop bubble and everything was just like costumes and fun and we genuinely did smile.
Speaker 1: It was so easy.
Speaker 2: Then I feel like I hit my teenages, my bodies changing media were like maybe not so pleasant to me. And then when I started to go into photographic studios, I was really conscious. And I think most teens are like, your body's just changing, whether it still looks perfect to everyone else.
Speaker 1: You were just like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: But then to have which now people understand if I have this conversation because everybody cops it from social media with your celebrity or not. But back then you would just be complaining about why are you complaining about that? But it was you know, it's a lot to take on board to do something that you love and then to read, you know, wild criticism about it. And I used to be very very nervous to be in front of a camera because I was like, the camera looks into your eyes and looks into your soul, and inside I was just frightened. I was so scared of that camera and I'm like, it can tell. I'm like just just so stiff. And then I feel like everything changed when I got pregnant. I whatever it was the hormones, felt so fantastic about my body and every step of every change, and felt incredible, proud of my body, happy inside too, you know, be soon to be a mum and it shows, you know, the camera it does read into your soul. And now it's a whole other section of my life where you know, my body's going through another lot of changes with age, and I feel conflicted about it. Once someone's on set, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I've done it enough times to be know that if you a very relaxed and in my mind, I just think, just be jelly, Just be jelly, and that that works.
Speaker 1: I loved that revelation that it was when you were pregnant, that something clicked and it became a less confronting experience. I wonder, as you say, outside of your own experience, what that is that we could bottle.
Speaker 2: I just think I was happy. I was full of really great pregnancy hormones. It wasn't a difficult pregnancy, and I was just like, I'd never thought that I was going to be a mum, and then here I was, I was pregnant, and it just felt like I was embarking on this epic journey, which it is, and that it was something to savor every second, so that it's your the frame of your mind, how you perceive that journey, how it's going to be, is how it's going to be for you. So if you're excited or you're relaxed about it, it's going to be great and exciting and relaxing and good. It was like last night, you know, the old me is like, oh, it's cover of shoot, you know, am I ready for this? I have done no working out, I've been eating too much over Christmas all of that, and I'm like, you know, you just got to forget it, relax, have fun, be confident in yourself. And we don't always wake up with the same amount of confidence. I believe not everybody does, and you think, Okay, I wonder what it will be like when the alarm goes off at four am. And I was pumped. I was just so so excited. It's a joy to do something like this. This is incredible work and really being I know that media has changed a lot, and you know, we're doing the photo shoot, we're doing podcasts, we're filming things, there's behind the scenes and all of that, but we're still all here creating. It scares me is that one day we won't be here and AI is taking over a few friends of mine that are models and maybe grapple with a few insecurities about modeling. And I had a conversation with one of my girlfriends the other day and I said, the first commercial has come out that's completely AI. There aren't models, the clothing hasn't even been created, and nobody was there. Please, when you go to your next photoshoot, just enjoy every second because these times we don't know what's changing.
Speaker 1: It's so true. I mean, as you say, the distribution model might change, so content is being consumed and produced on different platforms, but the notion of creating, whether it's music or whether it's film or television or media. It's when, as you say, people are starting to get outsourced by the machines and.
Speaker 2: Creativity, the one on one working as a team. I get a buzz from that.
Speaker 1: Because that's the humanity and the connection, which is something that's very much at the core of a series that we can currently see you on streaming on Binge. I Kissed a Girl and then I Kissed a Boy is about to start back later this week now. Danny, obviously everyone knows you have worn many hats throughout your career. You have worked as a singer and a recording artist, television host, actor. When you see I Kissed a Girl and there's Danny Minogue walking into the room in a glorious outfit, this uber, glamorous matchmaker playing matchmaker to same sex couples. You have been a lifelong advocate of the LGBTQIA plus community. I think if ever there was a role made for Danny Minogue, it's got to be this one, does it.
Speaker 2: Thank you? Thank you for seeing that. I really appreciate it. My friends know that I love nothing more than at least tempting to matchmake and I do it with friendships businesses, not just in a romantic way, but it literally is something that makes me feel incredible. So many my friends say, you know, you introduced us, and you know, I can't imagine what this would be like if we hadn't met through you. So that's kind of at the base of doing the show. I am a consumer of a lot of dating shows. I love everything from Indian Matchmaker to.
Speaker 1: Love Is Blind to.
Speaker 2: You know, just so many different things. And it was wild to me that we were making the show in the UK and it was made for BBC and they had never been a same sex dating reality show, and that made me really sad because everybody wants to be seen. There are a lot of people out there who really know who they are who want to be seen. There are a lot of people out there who are trying to figure out who they are, who want to see something and then go, ah, the pennies dropped. That's me and I relate to that. So it was really important for me to do something to try and get this on TV, but something that was done in the right way. So I didn't want it to be a really scrappy dating show. I didn't want anyone to walk away from having had a bad experience. I wanted it to feel like a warm hug, that people were genuinely there for the right reason. The casting is incredible, not only to show different personalities, you get to see different people from all over the UK. But it was the first time in reality TV where it was not about being nasty. The cast were not provoked by the producers and it wasn't There wasn't some cookie cutter body mold that you had to be in. You were not looking like Barbie or Ken to get on this show. You were there because you were looking for love and it cracked opened this attention in the UK, Like the reviews for the show were wild, like this is the game change, a show of what reality now could be, and that everybody was looking at this for how it's done.
Speaker 1: And it is true. I mean that progress that you see for people thinking if I had had that representation when I was growing up, things would have been so much easier and for you and me just observing that change as well. Love to ask your thoughts about here in Australia, because as you say, the show is a British production. Now in Australia will have also seen over the course of your lifetime massive progress. Same sex marriage was legalized. Marriage equality was achieved in twenty seventeen, but we don't have a local version yet of I mean like that word, yeah, I was going to say, I could think of somebody's sitting in this student I could host it possibly with the initials DM. What do you think about progress in Australia.
Speaker 2: I think I have seen it come a long way, and through Marti Grass, I've kind of had conversations where I've learned more about the history of what's gone on politically and what goes on with that event, and what's happening with the community. And I think there's a lot more there that can be documented and made into TV shows to teach people. There is so far that we still have to go, and I feel like in this moment in time, we are quite affected by what is happening in the rest of the world, whereas when we were growing up we weren't. But news feels a lot more global and politics feels a lot more global now. I don't know if it's because I'm an adult and I'm looking at it through a different lens, but it felt like growing up what happened in Australia was we were in a bubble of Australia and now we're not. So it's kind of having an awareness that something that maybe happens in another country has a dramatic effect on what's happening here. But I think there are amazing stories to tell people to meet. If we could make an Australian version of this, it would be super important. I had the good fortune to meet a guy who was from the country and like a cattleman, and he had wanted to kill himself many times because he knew he was gay, and he lived in a small country town.
Speaker 1: It's not gay bar. There's no Oxford Street, there's.
Speaker 2: No you know, old continent in London, you know Old Comton Street, or there's none of that. You don't know who you are, You've got nothing, no one to reflect off, no one to talk to, and there are a lot of people that want to take their lives. And I think there are some incredible stories in these shows that we've filmed, and you'll learn a lot about the guys and the girls coming from different places in such a tiny country, the UK, but you can be a few hours up the road and it's small part.
Speaker 1: It's not all London.
Speaker 2: Story. I think what is important for the community that I can help with because I always think what can I do? What can I personally do? So there's obviously been a lot of joy through music, Mardi Gras and prides and celebration, and music is something that a lot of people turn to in the privacy of their bedroom, whether they're growing up and finding out who they are, or whether they're an adult driving in their car. But in that private space, that music feels like a blanket of comfort. And I've read so many handwritten letters from people that explained to me so much about how that music delivers a message of hope and security as well as celebration and joy, and dancing around and singing along to the lyrics takes you to a place of joy. So I think we've come a long way in that. At first I heard a lot of words like, you know, they want to be tolerated. Then it was they want to be accepted. What I would love to see is celebrated. So in this TV show, what we do is celebrate people for exactly who they are, not who you think they should be or anything. Exactly who they are. We make them feel incredibly safe and able to be themselves and then you see people blossom and bloom and incredible things happen, which is kind of the opposite from how a lot of reality TV.
Speaker 1: Is so true and that advocacy, as I said earlier, life long ally to the community. When you mentioned Marti Grass, so you performed in Marti Grass nineteen ninety eight. You were performing in gay nightclubs in the early nineties in London at a time where that would have been seen by some managers and people in the industry is quite risky, but everyone by everyone.
Speaker 2: There wasn't one person that said, oh, there's no risk attached to that, or you should do it, not one. So again, is a very different time.
Speaker 1: So then if you throw forward to something like now where you're hosting a franchise like this, you are performing on the opening night of World Pride, I mean talk about a moment you are hailed as a gay icon. You performed it well Pride with your sister Kyli Minok, who's also hailed as a gay icon. I mean the full circle moment of that of getting that pushback early in your career that everyone was saying this is a risk to something like that, and being on a truly global stage and having that word icon attached to it, that's really a snapshot of how far we've come, surely in the course of your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for me, it's just all about love, and it's an ongoing love give out as much as we receive. It's just an amazing relationship that we have with the community and we hope to I don't think we've ever thought I'm going to do this and I'm going to lead the way. Like when I was asked to perform at Gay in London, I thought, that's the kind of club I would love to perform in. They play the music I want to listen to. Everybody who's there is in this crazy, happy pop dance mood. I would love to be a part of that. It was very scary because press were making up staff able to say what they wanted. You had no right of reply and you couldn't complain about anything that was written that wasn't true, and then if you denied it, people thought it's even more true. And I just got to the point where I thought, you know, actually stuff it like if you stick to what makes you feel great and what is true for you and cut forward to now when you hear the word authenticity, if we all are brave enough to go to that place, and for each of us there's a different there's always bravery that is needed, but in different doses for different things, for different people. That's one thing that I've gone through that was like I just had to go against noise of people saying this is not a good idea, and I was like, well, no one's done it before, so let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: Huh right, let's see coming up. Danny opens up about her lowest moments and reveals the very profound way Kylie's cancer diagnosis changed her outlawk con life. You have been working before you got to double digits. So I mean we have children around the same age. My oldest son is fifteen, so just getting into that point and maybe getting that part time job, but you were working on young talent time. I think you first started on the show seven or eight and then came on as a regular performance. So that's a really young age to be working in that industry.
Speaker 2: That now, Like looking at my son at seven, there was like, if you're motivated and you want to do it, me when I was inside that seven year old body. I'm like, this makes total sense. Just got to talk my parents into it. It's like if you want to talk them into giving you that money for the to go and buy some lollies at the local milk bar, which we used to do, this was the same. I'm just going to talk them into it because nobody sees this makes total sense. He wasn't that kid. So when you're looking at a kid that would have no desire to work or do anything that was like work, then it's like, WHOA, that's very different. Yeah, like my son's fourteen now, and so I was just googling the other day like at what age, and yeah, what the options are? And I think there's something great to be said for getting a job when you are young, learning some responsibility outside the home where your parents and guardians aren't saying do this, do that, or you haven't done it someone else saying that, and it clicks in in that different way, and then you I've seen my friend's kids just blossom from that opportunity to really step up.
Speaker 1: Definitely, it's at independence. I'd love to ask, do you recall how you convinced your parents to let you go on Young Talent Time If you had to talk them into it.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of consideration. My mom's sister was doing acting, Kylie, and I had done a couple of little acting spots, but it was nothing that was going to change our dynamic.
Speaker 1: As a family.
Speaker 2: I watched Young Talent Time and I just wanted to be in that TV set doing what those kids were doing. But I had no idea of what impact that would have on the family as far as the rehearsal schedule, showing up being there and you then in the public eye on the biggest entertainment show in the country every week. I had no idea how that would affect Dad when he walked in the office to go to work, how it would affect mom. You know, when you've got to put your name down for something, Minogue is the most unusual name, and it's like, oh, are you related to? And for my brother and sister, it was a lot at school, like we all went to the same school, so the kids knew we were all brothers and sister. You couldn't go no, don't know. I've never seen him before in my life. But there was a lot of a lot of deliberating and what I respect and loved about my parents was that they sat me down and talked me through all of that. It wasn't just going to be a yes or a no, and it's our way and you have.
Speaker 1: To deal with it, really.
Speaker 2: Trying to have a young person understand that here is the impact that we can foresee, and then there's a huge section of question marks where there's stuff we don't know what it's going to be like. And they were smart enough to know that because I've seen so many kids, adults, and families go through being on TV becoming famous, whether it's through reality TV or as an or a singer or whatever. And once you arrive there and it changes your world, you're like, oh, whoa, whoa, whoah. Oh, I didn't realize it was going to be that, and now I don't want that anymore. You know, if you're an adult and you're making your own choices, it really just affects you. But at that stage, being a child and being looked after, it affected everyone, and I don't know how I would have coped being in their shoes trying to make that decision. It's really also so admirable, I think, And to answer your question, I think I put on big puppy dog like they put those acting skills to tell you how much joy Kylie and I had At any given opportunity, we would be jumping around the lounde room learning songs and dancers, literally singing into a hairbrush. I know it sounds stupid, but anything that we could do to try and pretend that we were these amazing stars that we've seen in pop videos or on TV shows. So they were like, it's really difficult because it's their world, it's what makes them light up. And I was listening to something the other day it's like, you will only regret the things that you didn't do that really make you excited. You may fail at it, that's still okay, but to not go for something that ticks everything every box for you makes your heart seeing something that you can't stop thinking about before you go to sleep, when you wake up, if it's that, you got to do it, even if you don't know what you're.
Speaker 1: Doing, because then there's no regrets and no what ifs, which is obviously what a gift that your parents gave you, because as you say, they were clearly very ahead of their time in terms of not only engaging with you and participating that conversation, because that's not always what parenting was in the nineteen eighties is a lot more like that now, But also to clearly had this sense that it was something that could be a regret for you and maybe for Kylie if they closed that door. But Danny, it was just so.
Speaker 2: Unbearable for them. Could you amree single day if they said no.
Speaker 1: Those puppy dog eyes would have turned into you held me back. It's so interesting. I think so many of us look back on those moments there, as you say, not only our sliding door moments for us, but for the people around us, And that really vivid picture that you describe as you say, you can just imagine the impact on your parents and your siblings of a name like Minogue. Then suddenly that becomes a household name, and that Genie never went back in the bottle, did it? Because obviously some people, as you're talking about, they don't know what they're getting into and then wow. But obviously for some people, you know a few years later they'll go and you know, fade away from the media of the entertainment industry, they might do something else. But obviously for your family, Minogue, that has become a household name and never abated for one single second. So it must feel like a real line in the sand to think of that moment before you joined Young Talent Time, where Minogue was just another name in the phone book because we had phone books back then, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to paint the picture, my parents are very private. They don't like being on stage in front of cameras. They you know, they just they back away. So it really had a wait to it. And my brothers the same. He doesn't want to be in front of a camera. He's a cameraman for many years, a camera happy there.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously it's been a long time then since your family became that household name and you first went on Too Young Talent Times, So obviously this is something that everyone's lives have changed and evolved. But is that anything that you still talk about. Do you think that your parents or your brother in particular, might ever had that moment of like how life might have been as if Danny had we'd said no, and then maybe the Minogue name wouldn't just be another name of a suburb in Melbourne rather than this globally recognized name.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yeah, I I don't know that we've spoken about like exactly, like how would it be different? We just I guess we've forgotten like what it was like before. But we do cherish a lot of family moments that were before that fame came in and before people who knew who we were where we could just freely move about and do so many things like you know, go on our caravan holidays and just have fun together as a family. But we we did talk the other day about just with such a tight unit as a family, and I think people get a real sense of that now, Like we've been through everything thick and thin, and we've always just stayed together. But we have such a huge respect for each other and love celebrating each other in what we're able to do, and very well aware that we're only able to do those things because the other members of the family support us in so many ways, so time wise, emotionally, really like uplift each other to do what they do to the best of their ability. And that's we know that special. Not every family has that.
Speaker 1: That's what a family is doing. What a family can do best, isn't it when you've got that support and from there you can take on the world, and you've always got someone that's got your back. Yeah, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I often think I don't know what my personality would have been like if I didn't have that, because a lot of people have said to me recently, They're like, oh my god, you were so super confident on Young Talent Time. You were just like balancing through the screen. I'm like, yeah, it was wasn't like I didn't know any different at the time. It was like jump on stage in this crazy costume and do that. I'm like, sure, but I think it's because I knew I just had a happy home to come to, was always stable and encouraging, and therefore the only thing that would be stopping me would be me.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you had a lot of experiencing into a hair brush, so I'm sure that prepared you for being on National TV. One of your fellow performers from that year on Young Talent Time, Tina Arena, was in the podcast with me last year, and one of the things we spoke about was how the nature of the industry has changed, and also she was saying, in some ways hasn't changed, but the one of the things we discussed was this trope of women being pitted against one another, and that's such a popular culture stereotype. As you and I speaking, the Grammys were held earlier this month, and I don't know what you thought, Daniel, if you saw much of it, but obviously one of the observations being made of that was that there were so many different female performers, powerhouse women of all different backgrounds, different ages, different ethnicities, different body type and really importantly women that once would have been like, well there can only be one winner, and she was jealous of her, but really hugging and really embracing that. What are your observations of that from the course of your career.
Speaker 2: I've definitely experienced it pretty much. You know, the high of moving to London and the media was very different and there was no social media, there was no right of reply, you couldn't complain. Any journalist could write whatever they wanted. They just had to put a close source said, and then it was a free for all. They knew exactly what sold newspapers and once something was written, it really it really stuck, and so it was so hard to navigate that to then even though is something true was the women now the media can't control it in that way because the girls communicate direct with each other, you don't have their phone number. That's okay, I can DM you. You know me from the blue tick. Let's go it is this something? No, it's not okay, cool, it's.
Speaker 1: A great word. God that how that has really helped change the whole dynamic.
Speaker 2: Social media has really helped. And I think also seeing women in behind the scenes in powerful positions has changed things. So if you have female producers and executive producers, that's a whole different story and mixing it up to have different thoughts, emotions and represent women in different ways. And it is changing. There's still a long way to go.
Speaker 1: It's still a bit of progress to be made. I featured you on the cover of Body and Soul a few years ago when you turned fifty. In in that interview, you were talking about how say your mum and her generation growing up. There were no examples that you were just being told, Okay, you've had your moment, now you've got kids, sort of, you know, pack up, you're moving into this clothing. God forbid, you'd be sexy or be visible. I'd love to ask you about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't feel like we had women that we saw in film or tell vision or music that gave us any idea that life still goes on. I'm loving what Jane Fonder is doing. I'm loving what Demi Moore's doing. I'm loving what Pamela Anderson's doing. Brookshields like a lot of those girls that I grew up watching, and we need to see what's possible, like with Kissed Girl, and if you need to see yourself or what you could be. And yes, things are definitely changing. I hope no women feel like they're pressured to be either look like or achieve like to mean more at that age, because we don't all have to do that. But it's nice to know that if you if you really want to go for something, you can You can do it at any age. You just got to have that energy behind that idea to push it through, that real want, that desire, that thing I was talking about before, like you cannot stop thinking about it, it's all you want to do.
Speaker 1: I think it's such an important clarification you make that it's absolutely celebrating certain women in popular culture is not about saying everyone needs to look like this, and if you're not looking like it's okay to be sixty as long as you look like Dememore, because like it's nobody, most people twenty twenty five, thirty. But it's really just about not feeling whatever you're living in your life, that you have to pack up, or that there's a certain cutoff age. Whatever it is that you're doing, whatever drives you, whatever the nature of your work, whatever you look like, that that's not what's the question. The question is just your right to take up space, and it doesn't have a cut off. Rebecca Gibney was on Miss Cover and the podcast last week and she turned sixty in December, and we were talking about I love the way she frames growing older. She calls it a privilege, And we were talking about how also being aware of mortality really brings that into sharp perspective because, as she said, she's lost people and that really then focus as well. Obviously all of us have that moment with the birthday where we think about where we've gone, how much closer we're getting to, you know, whatever that era. Oh my gosh, we could be eighty one day. We should be so lucky as somebody wants, we should be so lucky to get to eighty. You of course Danny, you've spoken you've lost people through your life, as most of us have. I know, for me, my mum was diagnosed with cancer at forty and died when I was a teenager. So I think about that every birthday. And I'm not saying I always get it right, but I think, well, that's that is a privilege, as Rebecca said, for you, has that helped as well what you've been Obviously your sister was diagnosed, we've canceered a young age, obviously survived. It is really healthy. But those moments in life, they can help bring mortality into sharp focus and put things into can't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so sorry that you lost to your moment such a oh.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. No, I appreciate that, I thank you and I but I think it's, like I say, really only mention it because I do think if you were all shaped by different experiences, and I think that, as I say, not pretending that it shapes every moment about getting older, but it certainly does give you a certain glimpse into well, what is the alternative? As the saying goes, and the alternative is not something that is a very appealing option.
Speaker 2: I remember when Kylie was really sick, and there was the chance that we were going to lose her as she had recovered, and the world was celebrating yes this as well. Again we were all celebrating. I lost my best friend to cancer, and I was grieving. There was this celebration and grieving, and also at the same time, there were so many articles about women. What does she look like? How old is she? The first line of any interview Kylie da da da age, Danny da da da or whoever you know, Prime minister, whoever you are, it's your age and what do you look like? Does she look good for her age or does she not? Because if she doesn't look good for her age, she's of no value to anybody. And I just thought, you know, ages is such a privilege. Whatever that looks like. I would really always just stop my friends if they were like, I'm turning thirty and I'm like, okay, let's just let's just have a look at that how you are viewing that, because it is a privilege, like, and you know, the younger you can understand that, the more joy you can bring into your life.
Speaker 1: I would love to just actually mention something before we wrap up, because obviously, what sort of emerged quite organically. I think from our conversation is is how things changed. The role that people in the spotlight, such as yourself can really help you move the dial on conversations, through representation, through pushing back a bit, through taking on speaking up for things that are difficult at the time, and really helping people be seen and heard. And I wanted to let you know, Danny that when I last interviewed you, it was about twelve years ago. So I was a feature writer at the time and we sat down new on Bill Smiggs.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that long ago, I know, I know, and.
Speaker 1: So like Ethan was, you know, would have only been a couple of years old. I was just back from Mattlee with my second son, and I remember seeing we had a really lovely interview, by the way, and I really enjoyed talking to you. And then a few years later I went on to launch Stella, And so about three years after launching Stella, I had a moment where I just felt really uncomfortable about the fact that it was part of the celebrity interview, particularly with the woman where we would say you think about having children, and then if you do it a child, would you have another one, and that was groundbreaking. I remember that interview with you. I know that I asked, do you think that you will have another baby? And you answered and it wasn't an awkward moment and at the time, well maybe it was for you that That's part of where I'm headed with this is I just wanted to let you know that that was one of the moments that I look back on and thought I really should have done better than that. And I don't think that was a fair question to ask, even though some people disagree. I know some people listening or go, I'll get over yourself, like, can't we ask anything more? But it is about you never know what someone's dealing with at the time, and as I say, it was nothing that you said that made me feel uncomfortable. I just wanted to let you know that you really shaped a role in that and I wish I hadn't asked you that, even though you probably don't even remember me asking it, and wanted to let you know that you really were one of the people that played into that role with that policy taking shape.
Speaker 2: I tell you, I remember when that policy change happened, and it was so groundbreaking and so phenomenal and really like, this is how it could be done. We're still going to get amazing interviews and probably way better because you haven't put someone in that fight or flight situation because you don't know what's going on internally for me at that point. So, after Ethan was born, I was very ill for a long while. First I didn't know what was wrong, but then my thyroid wasn't working. I had appendicitis. I got down to like forty five kilos. It was like clothing wouldn't even like hold on, and I just knew I was at my worst when I was looking at Ethan in his cot and I had no energy to pick him up and get him out, and he's crying, he wants feeding. Like that is like the lowest point for me after enjoying all of this beautiful being pregnant and stuff, and so yes, if you're faced with a question like that, you're like, you know, it took me a long while, a long way healthwise to get myself back on my feet. I wasn't like upset that you asked me, thankfully, but I know, like so many different women have you know, had a different journey if the policy hadn't changed and you'd ask me later down the track. Yeah, that would have hit me in a completely different way because there's, you know, been a lot of change since then. I have a partner now that I've been with for eleven years. Did Ethan ask me, you know, to have a brother or sister?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: He did. Yeah, it's been it's been a long ride. But you started off by saying, do women like myself who are out there performing shape a lot of that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: The changes are moving forward, and I think editors, journalists, performers and working together, I think is how we'll make the most change, you know, quicker, and how we can really speed this up. And after I had Ethan, I remember contacting an editor and I would come out of the maternal Health Center and his crash, and there would be a car outside the door. There was no other that car park wasn't there for any other thing other than parents entering and exiting. And there was a car and there was two maybe three photographers lying on the top of it with long lens cameras like you would see if somebody was in Africa with a rifle looking to shoot an animal and there was a target. There was a price on our heads, and I was used to having paparazzi around, and I shook. My whole body shook. I was so scared, and I thought, I need to not be shaking and completely having this outer body experience because I am looking after this tiny person. I also am very well aware that the people who work there and the other parents have never been subjected to this. They don't know if those guys are pedophiles. I know their paparazzi, but they don't know. And so I remember sending the pictures to an editor to say, these pictures with this background, to put in context where it is is just this, and we are captive. I cannot go to a health check that by government I need to go to. I cannot do this, and all of these other people are subjected to it. So just so that you're aware when you purchase those photos, this is what you're encouraging. And she said, I will never purchase those photos again, and she didn't. And that's how you make change. It's having uncomfortable conversations, not knowing the outcome, not knowing if that editor will say screw you, because that sells our magazine. So it there somewhere along the line, there's a price because not everybody's going to say yes, but at least try right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's right. Well, that's been a recurring theme and that that's what was happening when you were first pushing back in the early days in the ninety in London, getting that pressure about Mardy gra Oh this is a risk, but you push back, you speak up and then look where we are.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's a gentle way. It's not picketing and I'm ready to take it on the chin. It's either asking the question or showing up and doing it, not knowing the outcome and just saying okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: It's changing hearts and minds with step by step. Danny Minogue has been such a pleasure to.
Speaker 2: Tame to you. I need many more hours with you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I know many questions to you. I feel like I could sit here and interview you. I have so many questions anytime.
Speaker 1: I would love for switch. Well, I will come to Melbourne. You came to Sydney for this one, so I will come to Melbourne. Let's get that in the diary And of course you can see more of Danny Minogue on I Kissed a Girl Now streaming on Binge and I Kissed a Boy, which is starting this week February twenty on Binge, with new episodes on Thursday at eight thirty. We'll have a link in the show notes. Danny, all the best with the shoot today. Very excited to see you on the cover Stella. Thank you so much. You can also watch this interview of the Stella Podcast on YouTube by following the link in the show notes. Thank you for joining me today. If you've enjoyed this episode, let us know by leaving a review and make sure you're following something to talk about, because we'll be back with another exclusive guest next week.