Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven AM. Another major Taalco outage has raised the question what happens when you call triple zero and the call doesn't get through. This week, Telstra blamed a software the Effect for a national outage that disrupted phones, payments and transport and left more than three hundred Triple zero calls failing or unable to connect. The Communications Watchdog is now investigating, but this isn't the first time Australia has been here. Last year, Optus had his own catastrophic failure after a thirteen hour outage bole hundreds of emergency calls across South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory and was linked to deaths AKIMA opened an investigation into Optus, but still hasn't published final findings. So today we're bringing you Ruby Jones's conversation from last year with journalists and Crikey contributor Michael Sainsbury, What went wrong in Optics and how the government's choices let us hear? It's Sunday, July twelfth. This episode was originally published in September twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: So Michael last week, hundreds of Australians discovered that they couldn't get through when they tried to call Triple zero with catastrophic and we now know some fatal consequences. So tell me about what we know about what was happening with Optus's network while this was going on.
Speaker 3: So it was just a regular network up bro and the telto networks thirty thousands of these a week, so there's all sorts of stuff they're doing every day. There's obviously thousands of base stations across the country. They're very sophisticated software systems that connect those things to the fiber optics underground, to the big computers that go out to your phone. So that's very very complex networks and there's always stuff going on. This was a regular sort of upgrade that went wrong.
Speaker 4: Today it was revealed the deadly outage the result of a botch firewall upgrade that lasted thirteen hours. Six hundred customers across three states without access to Triple zero.
Speaker 3: The outage only affected people in the Northern Territory, Western Australia and South Australia. Initially, they thought it affected about six hundred calls made to emergency.
Speaker 5: Services good evening.
Speaker 6: We have a major story developing as we go to wear. Just moments ago, we learned that three people have died during a major Optus network outage that affected triple zero calls.
Speaker 3: Something in their processes was either bad, could have been a badly written piece of software, or it could just have been a very simple human era where things just weren't followed properly and weren't checked. If it had been a national thing, again, that may have been picked up more quickly by system.
Speaker 5: But do those systems have enough red flags? It sounds like they.
Speaker 2: Don't, okay, And I mean you can see how these things might happen, but you would assume that in the case of human error or a bad update that there would be a backup, something would kick in if a network you know isn't working like this, particularly when it comes to triple zero calls.
Speaker 1: So what should have.
Speaker 3: Happened, Well, there is actually a backup across all of the networks in Australia where if for some reason your networks aren't connecting to the Triple O system, the calls.
Speaker 5: Will be routed into Celster or voter phone so they can access that system.
Speaker 3: Now, the Triple O system is actually run by Chelster under contract to the government, so all the calls go into a call center Chelster, which is known as Triple O or the Emergency Call Person. Officially, what seems to have happened is that the customers and office were able to call make normal calls, but they weren't able to make Triple zero calls, and this wasn't flagged immediately. There were also people who rang and at least five people, possibly more, rang off just call centers to tell them that the Triple O wasn't working. And again there was a failure of process there that that wasn't escalated straight away.
Speaker 4: The customers tried five times to warn the company that emergency calls were not going through.
Speaker 1: In the past few hours, Optus has confirmed those complaints were received by its offshore call centers.
Speaker 3: Now, I was foken just an engineer upon the other networks and he said, look the Triple O. When they've got a checklist of network up drags, TRIPLO is absolutely the top of the list. It should be the first thing that's checked in, double checked before anything happens, and that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: So in the wake of all of this, there are a lot of questions being asked about Optis and about its governance. So tell me about the company and how it is responding to this particular outage.
Speaker 3: Most people probably know it's the second biggest Solcone Australia. It's the second biggest mobile network its own and by Singaporretegal Communications, so it's not a publicly listed company in Australia and Singapore. Cheltroms is owned by Singapore government, so ultimately Singapore's responsible for everything that happens at Optus. But this is not the first time this has happened. This happened with Optus two years ago.
Speaker 1: We have more on that.
Speaker 6: Breaking news on the massive Optus outage.
Speaker 4: Ten million Optors customers are still without mobile and broadband services amid a massive nationwide outage.
Speaker 1: There is a lot developing.
Speaker 5: There was a government inquiry.
Speaker 4: The Federal government has released the terms of reference of an investigation into this month's major Optis outage.
Speaker 5: The eighteen recommendations handed down.
Speaker 7: At its core is ensuring the integrity of the Triple zero.
Speaker 2: Service and that it continues to operate effectively in the interests of all Australians.
Speaker 5: That process hasn't been finished properly.
Speaker 3: Only about two thirds of those recommendations been implemented in some of the key ones had not been implemented. And then a year before that outage, they had that dreadful a breach where the data about nine million people was stolen. The head of OPTAs says she is devastated by the cyber attack which has potentially compromised the personal information of nearly ten million customers. Octus now has got very much a reputation of being a company that is kind of making some big technical fails every couple of years. Stephen Rue is the CEO. He was brought in about nine months ago. They got rid of the last CEO who was in charge of those last two disasters. He came from NBN, so he's pretty familiar with self communications networks and he's pretty familiar with dealing with government, so it's kind of a dent in his record early on.
Speaker 7: I want to offer a sincere apology to all customers who could not connect to emergency services when they needed them most.
Speaker 5: But nine months is not a hell of a lot of time in a big company like opt just to fix things.
Speaker 3: There's obviously some deep seated cultural problems of just that allow these sorts of process issues to happen.
Speaker 2: Nevertheless, we did hear the Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi saying that he would be surprised if Stephen Rue the CEO, wasn't considering his position.
Speaker 4: I'd be surprised if that wasn't occurring.
Speaker 2: We also heard from the Communications Minister Annika Wells talking about accountability and consequences. Optis and all telecommunications providers have obligations under Australian law to make sure emergency services calls go through. The South Australian Premier Peter Melanaskis called it in competence.
Speaker 8: I mean the fact that Optis were crafting media statements and arranging press conferences.
Speaker 4: Without alerting Satisfraine Animalance Service.
Speaker 2: About this, tell me what you make of the political response.
Speaker 5: It was pretty fast and it's pretty brutal.
Speaker 3: Look, people die, so I think political leaders feels that they have to react. But we we are, as you know, living in a world where it's very much buying first, asked questions later, and I just don't think it's terribly helpful when you've got politicians, you know, talking about significant consequences.
Speaker 5: They want to sound tough there's a whole.
Speaker 3: Lot of legislation around these sorts of things, and there are some pretty hefty fines that the companies can get, and I think I've just has been fined ten and twelve million dollars I think for the last two of it's problems.
Speaker 5: That being said, for big companies like.
Speaker 3: These, with billions of dollars of revenue every year, you know, those sorts of fines are kind of slaps on the wrist too. So we've seen problems in banking, we've seen problems with quonscious and there's been some pretty hefty fines, but they don't really make a big dent in those big companies. But this triple zero problem keeps coming up. And when governments tend to just coast along and people.
Speaker 5: Say, well, yeah, this is very serious.
Speaker 3: People could die, one dies, nothing seems to happen, so they tend to be very reactive, and I think it's probably time that the government had a bit of a bigger look at this. So you've got in action by the government on quite a lot of things as well as the chilkos. So it's really it's kind of a joint responsibility in a lot of ways. But Ultimately, for something as critical as this, the government kind of got to be the last person.
Speaker 2: Standing coming up. Why the government is dragging its feet on recommendations that could have prevented this. Michael, I want to talk a little more about the government's role here, because while it is clear that Optus failed, what is the government's responsibility in ensuring that triple zero calls can always get through?
Speaker 3: Once upon a time, it wasn't till very long ago we had one chelco, which was Telecom Australia that Turenne a Telstra.
Speaker 4: Last year, Australia's Telecom invested more in Australia and Australian made products than any other company.
Speaker 3: It was privatized into how government competition was introduced before that, which is how we got Optus, and we've had a reasonably competitive environment in the telecommunications sector, although the incumbent still is the one that makes all profits. But yeah, these sorts of critical infrastructure services like telecommunications energy, there was a lot of privatization that went on without enough accountability coming back. I mean, we did have the inquiry into Optus, but the fact that eighteen months after that, all of those recommendations have not been fulfilled it's supposed to have occurred.
Speaker 5: They haven't, and this is all about a lack of urgency.
Speaker 3: I think most of the funding for triple zero comes either directly from the government or from a government levy that's from the telcos, So that triple zero stuff, he's actually government responsibility and improving that system.
Speaker 5: Was part of what came out of that. The previous office ATAGE.
Speaker 3: And the government you know, let it linger, and so I think they do bear some responsibility here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me more about that. As you say, when this happened in the past, it triggered an inquiry, the Bean Review.
Speaker 1: So why do you think.
Speaker 2: It is that that has not resulted in the change that would be needed to have prevented what has just occurred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are eighteen recommendations about a whole bunch of stuff. The harder stuff was still not being implemented, particularly this setting up of the Triplo custodian inside the department, and that to me seems like a really tea recommendation that you've actually got someone that is really having a good look at the system, talking to the telcos making sure their testing is right.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I think anacot Well said that has been set up, but it's actually not yet underway. What that actually means I don't know, but clearly it's not working yet and you would think that eighteen months after something like that happened. For that not to be in place after eight months, I think is that's a little bit of a shame you on the government and.
Speaker 2: The Communications Minister Annaka Wells. She's fairly new to that portfolio, so what sense do you get of her of how likely she is to look into these issues.
Speaker 5: Well, certainly to sharpen up her interest in the portfolio.
Speaker 3: Look, people inside the sector have said that she's not as engaged with the sector as the previous minister, who did have a background in telecoms. Indeed, if you look back to the previous ministers, we had Paul Fletcher for quite some time in the coalition government before, Mishare Royland, Mitch Firefield before him, and Malcolm Turnbull. All of those people did have quite a lot of experience or background in either tell coos or technology.
Speaker 5: Amateur Wealth doesn't.
Speaker 3: Have any of that experience and tell thoms is a very very very complex business. I mean, as we've talked about this, with a mobile network then you've got landline networkson that, you've got to run internet services. There's customer call centers, there's marketing, there's office and talks to have a bunch of shops. So they're vertically integrated businesses with lots of different moving parts. And it requires a very engaged minister and staff and department to make sure that the companies that are looking after telecommunications are doing their jobs properly. And this incident, and it's such a dreadful thing when you know people are dead because infrastructure fails. But this incident really should make I think the government have a very good look at what's happening in teller communications. It's always been problematic because we have such a huge country with not too many people, so it's expensive compared to somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore to provide communications infrastructure in Australia.
Speaker 5: The only thing that can stop this.
Speaker 3: Happening is for companies like Office and Telster and votifone and the other big telecommunications companies TPG to make sure all their processes work, to make sure they've got fail safe and back up and all that sort of thing. And let's just look at it through what happened with the NBN. Yeah, successive governments were very frustrated that the big telecommunications companies weren't rolling up out fast enough broadband quickly enough, so they took the decision.
Speaker 5: In the end to use public money to build the NBN. Perhaps they need to have.
Speaker 3: A look at the mobile networks as well, which would take a lot of the pain away from companies trying to service a handful of people very far away that puts a lot of money, and just to take some of that financial pressure off the networks so they can really focus on getting these things right, the things that they're supposed.
Speaker 5: To be doing well.
Speaker 2: Michael, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Really seven I am. We'll be back tomorrow with an interview with New York Times journalist Jonathan Swann. He's revealing your book, co authored by Maggie Haberman, takes us inside Donald Trump's second term, a presidency that he says is more disciplined, more secretive, and more dangerous than the first when.
Speaker 8: You understand it through the lens of you know, I want to be Napoleon. I'm being slightly glipped saying that, but not really I want to be the capital g great man of history of our time. I want to expand the American land mass, make Venezuela into a fifty first state with a pliant leader who's more like a governor. Take their oil, reshape ran, take greenland, you know whatever. You start to understand why he's willing to roll the dice in the way that he's rolling the dice this term, which he certainly wasn't willing to do it the first time.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James. Thanks for listening.