Speaker 1: Late Welcome to the Late Base.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks to your company.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and filling in for Caleb Bond, who you just watched on the Paul Murray Live program, The Brilliant, our great mate, Joe Hilda Brand.
Speaker 4: I don't know who's who anymore, Caleb Bond. Then Paul Murray's there, and then I'm here and Caleb's there, and you're there, and I feel like Dorothy when she wakes up from.
Speaker 1: The dream and a Wizard of Oscess. And you were there, and you were there, and you were there, and you were there.
Speaker 2: It's going to be fine. We're glad you were.
Speaker 3: With a stick around coming up, Coca Cola ban the names Jesus and Trump from personalized cans will show you that a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, Treasurer Jim Chalmers arrives in China as the Chinese fire missiles over the Pacific Ocean, and in news that will excite pigeons everywhere, former Victorian Premier Dan Andrews to get a bronze statue. All of that when we look at the papers a little later. But first everyone's feeling the cost of living pressures, and nowhere more so than at your local supermarket, where a trolley of groceries will pretty much require a second mortgage these days. But in a report from consumer group Choice, they've shown that if you get your groceries from Eld, you can save around fifteen dollars on a basket of just fourteen essential items. A basket of fruit, milk, cheese and bread will set you back fifty dollars at Eld, but check out this, It'll be sixty six dollars at Coal, sixty eight dollars at Woolies, and seventy eight at IgA for the exact same items. Now, I say all of that to ask this question, if you can save that much money shopping at Eld, why don't more people like these?
Speaker 2: For instance, what's your tipmarket.
Speaker 5: Puts Audi because they have the cheapest.
Speaker 6: Really, we used to shop Cole's Woolers all the time, and then we've switched to Aldi just to get better value.
Speaker 7: Way too expensive. I shop at Aldi because you can save by my umbrella?
Speaker 8: Is Aldi always your grocer of choice? It is?
Speaker 6: It is?
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, it's way cheaper. I've compared prices Nladi's always comes out on top. So it's yeah, definitely the ones to go. You can't get everything there, but so you have to go to Coles and Woolies. But yeah, Aldi's the one for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I don't know what Liz and Joe do, but let me tell you. I refuse to shop at Eldie because I don't want to buy my groceries from what effectively seems very much like a garage sale.
Speaker 2: I mean literally, you can buy a piece.
Speaker 1: Of salamo after the special buy, so you.
Speaker 3: Can buy a piece of salami and a dick chair and they're right beside each other. I tell you true story. My sister Rachel, she sent her husband Josh off to Eldie to get some ingredients for dinner.
Speaker 2: And he came back with a trumpet. And I'm not making that. So I just Eldie does my head in.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't figure it out.
Speaker 6: They have a bigger range. I mean that is perfectly normal.
Speaker 8: In the States.
Speaker 6: By the way, they're supermarkets are also kind of like half supermarket half km art, so it's perfectly normal.
Speaker 2: I can't deal with that.
Speaker 8: No, it's perfectly deal with that.
Speaker 6: Well. Obviously a lot of Australians can as per those boxes. Also, this is the one supermarket out of the duopoly anyway, outside of the duopoly rather that isn't being investigated by the A Triple C for ripping you.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with that, right spot of.
Speaker 6: These massive companies that are deliberately ripping you off to your face and you're like, I don't mind take my money. Another reason to shop at Aldi is that they're not owned like Coles and Woolworths are by black Rock, Vanguard and State Street. If you know, you know, those are the three biggest shareholders state Street of Coals, black Rock and Vanguard of Woolies.
Speaker 8: I take every.
Speaker 6: Opportunity not to give those flogs my money.
Speaker 1: What do you to? I love a bit of Aldie.
Speaker 4: I got suck it into the fly by scheme though, and I literally dropped more than six hundred dollars at Coals just the for you to get at home, and then my wife yell at me for forgetting something and had to go back to another Coals and spend another forty bucks. Admittedly all the children six hundreds had well the children. The children are all wearing basically Hessian sacks for clothes, and we had to get home.
Speaker 8: This is where Aldie.
Speaker 4: I do love Aldi, and I bought your laugh at the trumpet. I bought two guitars, three guitar stands, the leads, everything for so no, this is the thing because you walk in there for the salami and then go, oh my god, I just realized I need a deck chair.
Speaker 1: It's like I did it before it.
Speaker 8: And it's a really well price.
Speaker 4: And it's a really well priced, high quality deck chair and it was fantastic. I'm and Coles have now started introducing the special buyers as well own special buyers section, and I actually I actually bought an outdoor fire.
Speaker 1: Pit from.
Speaker 8: But I just their target mark.
Speaker 4: I've been on the way home for some milk, so I have an absolute I have an absolute suckle.
Speaker 2: I think we had some vision there of some of the random stuff you can get.
Speaker 8: That's the whole purpose, right.
Speaker 6: You don't go to Aldi to buy a trumpet or a deck chair. You go there to get your groceries, and just like someone walking out and they know what they're doing, putting all the chocolate bars and the chewing gum and the breath mints right there at the checkout, So people go, oh yeah, actually, oh, grab a few of those.
Speaker 8: On my way out.
Speaker 6: People see the special buys and realize, look at all the stuff I don't need but want, and walk out with half of that as well.
Speaker 8: It's a genius marketing.
Speaker 1: In fact, it's.
Speaker 4: Even more ingenious than you think, because while some people might just go in there and say, oh my god, what's this doing here, if you get the Aldi catalog, it will tell you in advance what the special buys are going to be on any given date, and you will have a week's note so you can get in first, and you will have people like they have had. They had dice and vacuum cleaners for a while, and it was like it was like going over the top in the Battle of the Song. There were people just at the gates, at the doors, just heaving, and as soon as they open they just I mean shoppers that shop with tactical military proceisure.
Speaker 3: You to have totally convinced me tomorrow I'm going to go to Eldie get some milk, some cheese, some yogurt and a bass drum.
Speaker 8: Well, well, thank us. In fact, you can give us the difference.
Speaker 1: In our long range. They'll do it headstreamer.
Speaker 4: They always seem to have those for some reason. Let's see the dairy isle.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 3: The habit of indigenous activists objecting to everything because of its links with colonialism has come back to bite them and bite them hard. Back in twenty twenty two, the New South Wales Coalition committed to giving the New South Wales or Sydney Rather Museum to Indigenous folk and make it an Indigenous hub. But today Labour's Arts Minister John Graham has announced they've scraped that plan because the museum has been built over the top of the ruins of Arthur Phillips's old cottage and therefore it would be an inappropriate place for an indigenous hub.
Speaker 1: Well, I was so sure you were going to say Indian graveyard.
Speaker 3: Well that would have been inappropriate too, But indigenous activists are very upset about that, saying no, no, no, the links between the museum and colonial past are suddenly unimportant. Black rogers, who's a indigenous artist. He said, it's somewhat hypocritical for the government not to consider it when Aboriginal people have raised concerns about other sites and the colonial Captain Cook statue in Hyde Park, and the government hasn't done anything about that. So they're saying it's just an excuse by this labor government who don't want to follow through with this commitment to make the museum an indigenous hub. But the government is saying no, no, it would be inappropriate. It's got colonials links will have to find another venue.
Speaker 2: Who's right.
Speaker 6: I mean this has got to be a because for once, a site of historical significance colonial significance is saved by its colonial significance.
Speaker 8: I mean, we've got all these moves to take down this statue of Captain Cook and replace it.
Speaker 6: With something indigenous. For once, it's like, no, no, because it was Arthur Phillips's home base.
Speaker 8: We're not going to go through with this anymore.
Speaker 6: I just can't believe that it was a coalition government who agreed.
Speaker 8: To do this because by virtue.
Speaker 6: Of being Arthur Phillips's former home now Sydney's museum. It's a Sydney of one of the it's a museum of one of the greatest cities in the world, certainly the greatest city in our fair nation. Come on, even if you don't agree with that, you've got to admit we're the most beautiful. I mean, why wouldn't you want the City of Sydney Museum to remain as is and just promise a different indigenous hub that is indeed actually dedicated to being an Indigenous habit rather than ripping one to give the other one.
Speaker 4: That is exactly what the Min's Labor government is doing. Liz, thank you for your support, but yeah, it is. It is really weird. I think there is something in what you said about people I know are now so anxious and are anticipating every possible sort of angle of outrage coming at them that they're sort of preemptively killing off things that the Indigenous Committey would actually want because I think I know that someone's going to get upset by this. I think it would have been probably a nice bit of kind of I don't know, not harmer or pobetic justice, but a nice bit of sort of closure.
Speaker 1: That's a horrible word to say, All right, we are going to you know, we are going to have this.
Speaker 4: Place, which is, you know, ultimately the intersection of these two worlds when they first collided in seven and eighty eight and lived in harmony for quite some time thereafter. Incidentally, but you know, and we're going to have that there. I think you could just as easily make an argument, well why not preserve, you know, I preserve the Museum of Sydney as this sort of you know, there is some Indigenous stuff there, but as this kind of you know, exhibition of the very earliest sort of colonial settlement, and have the indigenous stuff somewhere else that's purpose built.
Speaker 1: But again, isn't the real I mean even when like I.
Speaker 4: Said, oh, you know, it's ironic given that we've raised concerns about other sites than the colonial Captain Cook statue in Hyde Park and the government hasn't done anything about that. I think it shows how confused and and sort of foggy this issue against But yes, we're not talking about like do the Aboriginal people want their hub to be in Hyde Park where the statue is?
Speaker 1: Do they want that or they want to come down.
Speaker 6: One particular activity polish replacement, which is which is thankfully what MINS.
Speaker 8: Has said no to here.
Speaker 2: And that's the difference.
Speaker 3: It's because they're getting something, so they don't mind the colonial links, whereas if it was just a colonial monument then they would.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anything there's any suggestion that, you know, the remains of Arthur Phillips Cottage should be demolished in the same way that they would want the cap Cook Statue, presumably torn down as people have tried to tear it down. So there just seems to be all this energy in all these weird, kind of specific and not entirely coherent claims instead of just getting stuff done.
Speaker 2: It'd be hilarious if that's right.
Speaker 8: That anyway, Well, Kamala Harris has fight.
Speaker 6: We've been talking endlessly about the fact that this woman needs to do more interviews. We want answers. You're running for the most important job in the world. Can we please get some straight answers. So she finally sat down with MSNBC's host Stephanie Ruler, and you would not believe the softball questions. Here's one about Kamala's time at macus.
Speaker 9: Your opponent almost every day seems to be talking about this.
Speaker 8: So I just want to ask you yes or no? At any point in.
Speaker 9: Your life have you served to all beef patties, special cells and Leni's cheese Take those onions on. Looking at Adam MacDonald's yes or no, that's it. I have okay, now the other job, but it was not a small job like I do, Rie.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, oh incredible.
Speaker 6: That's one that she could answer really confidently. Not so much when Stephanie asked Kamala about so, with all these taxes that you intend to raise in order to fund all the things that you're going to pony for everyone, a pony for everyone's pony, what if you can't raise the taxes, What if you don't have the support in both the houses that you need in order to pull this off.
Speaker 8: Kamala should have just said I don't know. Instead, she said this.
Speaker 9: You mentioned housing before giving that extra money for a first home. If you can't raise corporate taxes, or if GOP takes control of the Senate, where do you get the money to do that? Do you still go forward those plans and borrow?
Speaker 10: Well, but we're going to have to read corporate taxes and we're gonna have to raise We're going to have to make sure that the biggest corporations and billionaires pay their fresh share.
Speaker 8: That's just it, lady.
Speaker 6: If all the polls are correct, you're looking at a pretty divided government.
Speaker 8: Even if you do make it to the White House.
Speaker 6: The question is what are you going to do if you don't have the support to raise said taxes.
Speaker 8: Oh, we're just going to have to do it, though, We're just going to have to do it.
Speaker 1: Look at her face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just terrible, terrified.
Speaker 4: It's like that was like, Oh my god, that's never occurred to me before.
Speaker 1: What do you mean you mean? So it's always like she was.
Speaker 3: And then when she's saying, but we're just going to have to do it, it almost gives her time to remember her pre programmed lines because then she gets onto everyone's got to pay their fair share, and her face brightens up because now she's back on familiar territory and she just share a nauseum for about the next sixty seconds, hoping that the next question will yeah, which.
Speaker 8: Makes absolutely no sense now.
Speaker 6: Prior to doing this interview with Kamala, Rula had been very much defending her a week prior, saying, even if Kamala wouldn't budge in saying that Hamas should still have a role in the leadership in Gaza going forward.
Speaker 8: You're not going to vote for Trump, are you?
Speaker 11: It's not too much to ask Kamala say, are you for a Palestinian state if Hamas is going to run that.
Speaker 1: State, Okay, yes or no?
Speaker 9: And let's say you don't like her answer, Are you going to vote for Donald Trump?
Speaker 8: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to vote.
Speaker 9: Not running for perfect, She's running against Trump.
Speaker 8: We have two choices.
Speaker 6: Incredible, even if she says that a terrorist group should still rule and reign in Gaza.
Speaker 8: I mean, you're not going to vote for Trump?
Speaker 1: Are you call off the election? No one's going to vote for Trump. So why even have an election?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Why did I have an interview?
Speaker 6: And asked, But after this absolute bomb of an interview, even Stephanie Ruler changed her tune, saying, yet Kamala couldn't even answer how she was going to do these tax raisers if she didn't have the support of the houses.
Speaker 9: She doesn't answer the question around if the GOP is controlling the Senate, if she can't raise corporate taxes, where is she going to get the money from, you know, to expand the child's tax credit and do all the things she wants to do, And she says, we.
Speaker 8: Just have to do it.
Speaker 6: Changed her tune real fast, didn't she so? Prior to the interview, she's just saying look, no matter what she says, basically including terrorists to still having control of that land, that's fine, anything but a vote for Trump.
Speaker 8: After the interview, she's like she.
Speaker 6: Couldn't even answer this basic question and admits it to the nation live on MSNBC. It's another one of those examples where these networks that endlessly shill for daily tongue bats for the Democrats actually end up with egg all over their face because they realize the person that we're trying to champion is not popular or intelligence.
Speaker 3: It's an absolutely amazing confession, isn't it by a major American media network that we're going to interview the presidential candidate, we actually don't care what she says because everyone should vote for her regardless. I mean, which makes a question, why would you watch MSNBC's interview with anybody because it's a predetermined outcome.
Speaker 4: But also, I mean, how many swinging voters or undecided voters are actually watching MSNBC, Like, I don't understand how krmala Harry. I mean, I think she goes there, she does the softball interview, and then that gets cut up and sent out to all the other media, and that's how you hopefully reach.
Speaker 1: Them through secondary sources.
Speaker 4: I still, again, given that it seems to have blown up in this case, I still don't understand the strategy. I mean, obviously she can't she can't do any media.
Speaker 8: The answer basic incredibly friendly.
Speaker 4: Like you can't do anyone more full on than Oprah, And even Oprah is calling her.
Speaker 1: Out for not answering the questions.
Speaker 4: And then you've got you've got Stephanie Rule calling her out, and I wonder if sort of in both like it's almost like they're trying to sort of coach her. In real life, it's like they're trying.
Speaker 3: The other thing is their own credibility as interviewers, whether Oprah or Stephanie's, is called into question because people watch the.
Speaker 2: Interview and think, why didn't you ask a follow up question? Why do you want to push harder?
Speaker 3: I reckon, but now we know it was bias in the first place. But then they get defensive over that bias.
Speaker 4: But I also think that that is why this particular host felt that it didn't matter if Karla didn't answer someone else's question, but when it was her question she wasn't answering, she had to call it out as a fearless and fearless and impartial journal.
Speaker 2: When she calls it out after the event, around.
Speaker 4: The interview, that's right, because when you can't not acknowledge it to look really stupid here and I point out that she is in fact, so when it's so again, these people are so so selfless that they will go to the wall to defend America from Donald Trump and make sure he never gets in and pump up the tires of his opponent. But when it comes to their own ego or their own professional reputation, suddenly they feel they have to actually say call her out all of a sudden. So we know now the threshold for calling out Carmla Harrison An seeing the question is purely the ego of the Democrat adjacent journalist who's asking her.
Speaker 6: May there be a lot more of it because, like you say, no swing voters are watching MSNBC, but hopefully a few Kamala voters are watching and going had a minute.
Speaker 8: I do not want this woman to be commander in chief.
Speaker 6: Staying in the US now where New York Mayor Eric Adams has been indicted by the FEDS, this is absolutely unprecedented for a New Your mayor. This indictment is sealed, so we actually don't know the chargers, and we do know that during his tenure, most recently, the Adams administration has been reeling from a series of high level resignations amid at least four federal probes, and there's a lot of speculation about what that entails. Adams has now taken to social media after sending a video of himself addressing these charges, which are yet unknown to the New York Daily News court reporter who has made this available for us. He is making it about his strong stance on immigration. He has for over a year now been calling out the state of New York, essentially saying the city is lost. Here he is speaking over a year ago talking about what are toll the influx of illegal immigrants into the Big Apple was having on the city.
Speaker 12: We getting ten thousand migrants a month. One time, we were just getting Venezuela. Now we're get in Ecuador. Now we get Russia speaking coming through Mexico. Now we're getting Western Africa. Now we're getting people from all over the globe have made their minds up that they're going to come through the southern part of the border.
Speaker 1: And come into New York City.
Speaker 12: Every community in this city is going to be impacted. We had a twelve billion dollar deficit that we're going to have to cut. Every service in this city is going to be impacted, all of us. I said it last year when we had fifteen thousand. I'm telling you now with one hundred and ten thousand the city, we knew we're about to lose.
Speaker 6: Good luck fighting this corrupt justice system, Boddy. Remember these are the same New York Feds that have relentlessly pursued Donald Trump and will stop at nothing to bring him down.
Speaker 8: And now, while the.
Speaker 6: Mayor is a Democrat, it appears because he's gone against their policy of essentially open borders and facilitating this massive influx of illegal immigrants, he's now on the nose. If you're not in the club, you're out, buddy. And essentially Eric Adams is cooked here. Because his net worth is around sixteen million dollars, it would be so easy for this indictment to completely bankrupt him.
Speaker 3: This is a classic case of you've bitten the hand that was feeding you. Right, he's left, but not quite left enough to be left alone. And the other interesting thing about this is he's turning himself in next week to the FEDS. Can you imagine if he was a Republican, he wouldn't get to turn himself in.
Speaker 2: There would have been a dawn raid by the FBI.
Speaker 8: And everybody else kicked down.
Speaker 4: Now, I think Trump was able to rock up and turn himself in. That's why he got his famous mode shot the face that launched a thousand votes. It is just possible though that maybe this guy did do something wrong. Is that we don't know, and I think he's accused of getting campaign finance undeclared.
Speaker 3: Or he was receiving money illegally from the Turkish government in return.
Speaker 4: Who are some pretty bad dudes, like the Turkish Duan is not, you know, the nicest guy in the world. He's got some pretty freaky policies, pretty fundamentalists. So you know, this guy could be in the pocket of some pretty nasty the indeed dictators.
Speaker 6: And those probes regarding potentially donations for his mayoral campaign back in twenty twenty one, getting potentially these funds from Turkey that began last November. So again, we don't know if this indictment is related to that pro whether it's something different entirely, but Adams is making this about the fact that he's been a champion for the people. He has been standing up for New York, and that's why the Feds are after him, and he's going to fight it with every fiber of his being.
Speaker 13: My fellow New Yorkers, it is now my belief that the federal government intends to charge me with crimes.
Speaker 1: If so, these charges would.
Speaker 13: Be entirely false, based on lies, but they would not be surprising. I always knew that if I stood my ground for all of you, that I would be a target, and a target I became. For months, leaks and rumors have been aimed at me in an attempt to undermine my credibility. I would fight these injustices with every ounce of my strength.
Speaker 1: And my spirit is so off about that.
Speaker 4: Crimes, it's like it's not even you know, like surely you would get out on the front foot and you would actually say, this is what they're coming at me for.
Speaker 1: It's all rubbish, it's all lies.
Speaker 2: That the real indictment here, though, is not on Eric Adams. It's on America itself.
Speaker 3: That we're now in a situation where when charges are laid and they're political in nature, or seem to be, or at least that's the assumption.
Speaker 2: We all go straight to that point.
Speaker 3: And the Biden administration has created that situation where now everyone's a cynic, no one takes anything at face value, and no one knows who to believe, which is a hell of a way to run a country that's supposed to be the leader of the free world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's hard to feel sorry for Eric Adams here because he was very quiet and very complicit when these guys were going after Trumps. Suddenly, law Fair isn't so much of a right wing conspiracy.
Speaker 8: Theory, is it?
Speaker 6: Because this is a democra essentially being pursued by his own So is it a case of them wanting him out of the way or is it a case of, like you say, Joe, these these allegations of him receiving money from Turkey and now having links not just from Turkey, but other shall we say, unsavory countries not want to be associated with the probe.
Speaker 8: It seems to be growing day by day.
Speaker 4: And I would just know the previous grab we saw where he listed all the people who were coming into New York via the southern borders. He complained about the Venezuelans. He complained about the Ecuadorians, he complained about the Russians, the Western Africans, about the Turks.
Speaker 3: The other thing, Eric Adams will be very suspicious. Eric Adams is not afraid to play the race card either, So if this persecution over his views on immigration doesn't work, you can bet he'll say it's because I will tell African American staying overseas. We talked about Kirs Starmer, the Prime Minister of the UK, who's having a pretty bad week, to be honest. Speaking at the Labor Conference the other night, he promised English people that he was about to take control of their lives, as if that's something they really were excited to hear. He also promised that he would not shy away from being unpopular, and on that score he's probably doing a pretty good job. But he's gotten even more unpopular today after it was revealed that a video he made during the pandemic urging people to stay at home for your own good, for your own safety, you just need to stay at home and indoors. He was filming that not from his own place, but from a penthouse worth eighteen million pounds owned by one of Labour's donors.
Speaker 2: Now he's done.
Speaker 3: What every great politician would do. He's blamed his kid. He said, Look, it wasn't my fault. I had to stay in this eighteen million dollar penthouse because my son was doing his school exams and if we're in our house, there's me here out the front, in the middle of the pandemic, and he would have been distracted. And I promised my son, I will help you to focus on your exams. And that's why, while you were all in your homes, I had to be housed in an eighteen million pound tent house.
Speaker 2: Joe, is anyone buying this excuse? And what about his son?
Speaker 4: I like kiss arm been very good for the Labor Party, but it does appear to he does appear to have thrown his son.
Speaker 1: Under a bright red double decker us.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 1: It's very frustrating.
Speaker 4: I mean, firstly, yes, there may well have been you know, it may well have been a case for his son going somewhere else and being able to study for his GCSS like our HSC in Peace doesn't have to. That doesn't explain why it's an eighteen million pound penthouse. Though there are plenty of others.
Speaker 2: Your exams are very important.
Speaker 4: Exams are very important, but they're not you know, forty million Australian important, you know. Again, So it's kind of it's that sort of false equivalency that politicians off and do say, you know, why did you you know, why did you build a house full of you know, out of solid gold?
Speaker 1: So well, everyone needs somewhere to live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that does it didn't have to be that house, you know, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Have it out.
Speaker 4: Incidentally, I think President heard one of Turkey has a gold toilet in the toilet in the presidential Palace. Everyone's going to go to the bus and everyone's got to go to the toilet, right, We're all human, and so it's just it's just such a terrible look. I don't want labor MPs going around wearing hair shirts or saying that rich people are terrible. But there's a difference between that and actually living high on the hog and.
Speaker 2: The other problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's just said he's going to cut money was being provided to elderly Brits so they could afford heating.
Speaker 2: He's not going to do that.
Speaker 3: He's making changes to private schooling, which will affect military families get discounted. Meanwhile, he's this beautiful penthouse, so.
Speaker 4: You forget he's selflessness. He is selflessly staying at that penthouse, had no expense to give them children higher because it's been given to him for free by a millionaire labor law and he was.
Speaker 2: Doing it for kids, and he was.
Speaker 1: Doing it for the kids he's helping.
Speaker 6: It also doesn't help that this is off the back of revelations that he's received over sixteen thousand pounds worth of other freebies in terms of work clothing, some spectacles, a private dresser for his wife. So naturally there's a few Brits feeling like, mate, you're really heavy on the government when you're in opposition for them, living high on the hog and enjoying the benefits of being in power, and now you're turning out to be one of the worst of the lock.
Speaker 4: Can I just quickly say, on the subject of the sixteen thousand pounds for work clothing and glasses should have gone to Specsavers.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I just had to add is sponsored by Specsavers, Ladies and gentlemen to Brisbane now, where you guys must be shocked to find out that a simple trip into your CBD will capture your facial data and details.
Speaker 8: More than four hundred times. Get this.
Speaker 6: While Brisbane City Council operates three thousand, seven hundred and fifty surveillance cameras, with hundreds more on all forms of public transport. They say no, no, we don't use facial recognition. But this is doing the dodgy on you guys, because these cameras work alongside the Police Department's q face, which compares live footage against a database of millions of images. So they're not using facial recognition, but somebody else using their over three thousand, seven hundred and fifty cameras certainly is. Griffith University Senior lecturer David Tuffy said most people do not realize how prevalent it is within Brisbane City Council operating all those cameras. It allows for the quick identification of individuals, including those with outstanding arrest warrants. Very interesting. This reminds me of the time in twenty twenty two where Bunnings, The Good Guys and Kmart were busted for using facial recognition. Nobody out of the millions of people who would frequent those stores.
Speaker 8: Years and years out.
Speaker 6: Now nobody's permission is asked, why do you need facial recognition? Aren't security cameras enough for the purposes that all three stores said, Oh, this is why we use it for, you know, just for security purposes, just to make sure people aren't stealing our product.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what your.
Speaker 6: Garden variety surveillance cameras are for, not facial recognition.
Speaker 8: I swear this is so dodgy.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 4: Bunnings and Kmart and good guys case, I think they were saying that they would those problem casts shoplifters who had come into the shop before, would be able to be recognized.
Speaker 8: Everybody else's rights before.
Speaker 4: But I think people would indeed be amazed by how much. I mean, I remember when the CCTV debate around Sydney came out and now all these cct but this is before facial recognition was even possible. This was decades ago that, you know, and people were outraged about this, and then everyone just went and everyone just got on with their lives, didn't notice it, didn't care. And I feel like it will be one of those things which will either be just completely benign and no one will know and no one will care or something really weird like kind of you know, minority report style will happen and someone and it could almost be cut us right, because the other thing is, if you're going to have that much surveillance, you kind of almost might as well, Like it's weird to sort of say, oh, we're going to have all this surveillance that's watching you and draw the lines of facial recognition. Oh we've got the footage of the guy holding up the bank.
Speaker 1: Oh right, who is it? We don't know.
Speaker 3: You know how many CCTV cameras it will take to finally make Brisbane safe, don't you Just a couple of thousand more? And that's the argument, this is going to make the place safe. Well, how's that going, Queensland? Not that well, although I do think Liz, next time you're in Brisbane. And I know during COVID you were a big proponent of not having to wear a mask, but I could see you walking through the Brisbane CBD all masked up, not.
Speaker 8: Because of COVID, perfect dad.
Speaker 2: Just avoiding the facial recognition.
Speaker 6: But this is always the trade off that government gives you, right your privacy for the safety that we will provide you get stuffed.
Speaker 8: I'm not a child.
Speaker 6: You want to keep me safe online, you want to keep me safe on public transport, that's fine, use your CCTV. You're not going to find me doing anything illegal, and you will find the bad is doing something illegal, and they're usually in your system.
Speaker 8: Anyway.
Speaker 6: That system has worked for years. So with regard to what you were saying there, Joe about you know, back in the day, CTV was considered also controversial, and now everyone's become okay with it, I think we do need to revisit those conversations as the technology gets more and more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Night where everyone's going.
Speaker 4: To be microchip for their own safety, or everyone's going, you know, like they're having China, everyone will have a social credit that you can build up.
Speaker 6: I mean, naive if we don't think there's already some form of that already taking place. Why do you need to gather this much data on us? If you're not putting together some sort of portfolio to tell the state? Absolutely, I mean they've already got everything from a fingerprint to a europe.
Speaker 3: Remember we talked about in the UK eight train stations were using facial recognition. It was being passed on to a psychologist to assess people's moods.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you can just imagine.
Speaker 3: The next step is where police suspects someone of coming a crime and they look for the mood technology to work out while he was angry at the time that we used in evidence as a court of law. You can see where this keeps going in your right. At some point you've got to draw a line. And that's as far as it goes.
Speaker 4: Speaking have that mood technology as Matt mood detective technology as well. It's called the Daily Telegraph, and it's always angry.
Speaker 3: Speaking of amazing technology, Mark Zuckerberg unveiled this week the technology that should replace your iPhone. Everything instead will be visible through a pair of high tech glasses.
Speaker 2: Here he is showing them off, and.
Speaker 11: If I do say so, the most advanced glasses the world has ever seen, less than one hundred grams. They need wide field of view, holographic displays sharp enough to pick up details where this isn't passed through. This is the physical world with holograms overlaid on it.
Speaker 3: So you wear these glasses and your text messages will literally come up in your line of sight while you're still able to see the physical world as well, or you can do a video call with somebody while walking through a shopping center, seeing digital and physical world simultaneously. You could watch YouTube videos while you're doing it. And the only reason it's not being released to the public is because at this stage, and you saw the glasses there, they're not exactly cool glasses from specsators.
Speaker 2: Are they They're kind of bulky and not very stylish.
Speaker 3: But as soon as they get them smaller and more stylish, they'll cost about the same as a high end laptop computer. And I reckon, whatever you think of the technology people swap immediately from a handheld phone, just seeing things in front of you, you don't get motion sickness, like.
Speaker 8: We're not attached to our devices enough.
Speaker 6: You've got your phone right there, You've got your Apple.
Speaker 8: Watches that people can never get off.
Speaker 6: You're already immediately notified of a notification. And also, how are these not going to pose a risk and a danger if you're walking along in a park, driving, paying attention to the latest text that you've got, if you're driving, I mean, I don't see how they going to meet these of health and safety friendly I reckon.
Speaker 4: I reckon this is going to be an absolute disaster. I reckon that there is that there's this, and a lot of people talking about it these days. But there has been up until now an assumption that just because we can do something that we should, or rather almost that the technology is just going to happen. It's going to be inevitable and we just have to find a way to go with the fly. And we're seeing a huge amount of pushback, for example, and social media patforms say no, actually, we're just going to say screw you. We're going to turn it off. A lot of people doing that voluntarily. We're going to ban it for kids. What everythink about that? And I think with these ones, I mean you mentioned that Apple watches. Those watches have been around. All those watches have been around for years and years and years and years more.
Speaker 1: Than a decade. Now, the takeup isn't huge.
Speaker 4: I mean every single person who's got a mobile phone, but I don't have.
Speaker 3: The problems style Apple watch just don't look good.
Speaker 1: No, that's right.
Speaker 4: But I think I think people, I think I think people want a level of separation, even if we're all addicted to our devices. I think people balk at the idea of actually being too attached to them, even just physically attached to them. The watchers haven't taken off. Also, remember you could get that microchip in you. There's only that one weird guy.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see what happens with it. We're gonna go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Jim Charmers arriving in China as the Chinese test fire ballistic missiles.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. Well, let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. We'll start with the Australian, where Liz Jim Charmers has arrived in China.
Speaker 8: Yes, and there he is. We've even got some footage of him arriving just for you.
Speaker 6: The splash reads a Charmers offensive to embrace the Dragon.
Speaker 8: Well, a lot of thought went into that.
Speaker 6: Jim Chalmers has warned that further slowing in China's economic growth would wreak havoc on Australia, with a drop of one percentage point in Chinese GDP growth projected to inflict about six billion dollars in lost A mess dick output Wow well, I don't suppose that Charmers visits going to be any help because he can't do much much good.
Speaker 8: For ours.
Speaker 1: Charms the taking ch Surely.
Speaker 3: In China, he's probably found an alibi for the poorly performing Australian economy, the slow down in China.
Speaker 2: It's affecting us. The narrative is already there.
Speaker 3: It's on the front page of The Australian tomorrow for him good in comparison.
Speaker 4: You know, at some point doesn't there have to be a moratorium though, of all headline writers doing Charmers offensive Like it's like it's like, I mean, I'm not having to go with the eyes. I love them and as soon as I get my pH D, I'm going to go and work there.
Speaker 1: Charming anyway, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: The producer you said next right, son of my old hometown in Melbourne where I was just last weekend, and my god, is like a ghost town.
Speaker 2: It is just terrible graffiti everywhere.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I went to dan in my old home of town and the shopping center of our Saturday afternoon. All the shops except the discount ones were basically empty.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then went up the road to south the Ara very much a tale of two cities. And even in Ritzy Turaq Road, the restaurants streets almost all bit empty. So you know, once the two Iraq tractors are starting to cop it in the old windpipe that anyway, the way says in case you're watching, but check out this. This is going to get people all hot and bothered. Brassy Dan tribute as tunnel blows out, Daniel Andrews will be immortalized in bronze. With the Allen government confirming a statue is in the work works for the divisive ex premier and indeed, as most people consider that the reason why Melbourne and Victoria more generally is in such a malays because it was the most lockdown city in the world during COVID and the state current has a debt of I think one hundred and ninety billion dollars. It's about fifty billion more than he did a statue. But all premiers, and I think it was I think it was actually Dan's decision that all premiers who serve win three elections.
Speaker 2: I think it was Jeff Kennett that or was Jeff Kell think it was Jeff Kennett.
Speaker 1: Jeff missed out on one.
Speaker 3: But he posed a certain period of time as premier, you get a statue. This is too soon that Victoria needs to wait until the memory of Dan Andrews.
Speaker 2: Has faded a little bit. This is just salt in the wound, isn't it. This is just Rumigan.
Speaker 6: Going to be the most graffiti statue of all time. There's going to be the unveiling and from that day onward it's going to have a different face. That'll be clown faces painted on it. There will be ridiculous hat.
Speaker 3: The only person happy about the Dan Andrews statue is Captain Cook because you would finally get a break.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Tasmania.
Speaker 3: The Mercury Paper is talking about poker machines. It's on the cards, reads the headline, pokey reform is coming to the Apple ale or. The Tasmanian government remains committed to retrofitting the state's twenty two hundred poker machines with pre commitment card technology, despite ongoing resistance from the hospitality industry. A parliamentary committee has heard so this is a I mean, there's different views on what we should do about problem gambling. Poker machines are a particular issue. I'm not a gambler, so I couldn't care either way. But I don't see what the problem is with prepaid cards. Yeah, to protect people from themselves.
Speaker 4: So if you're a gambler, if you're a problem gamber, say right, I'm not going I don't want to spend more than fifty bucks on the pokes tonight or whatever. And you have your card and that's programmed in. And even when you get that Russia blood to your head and you've lost forty nine to ninety nine, you think, oh.
Speaker 1: I can get it all back.
Speaker 4: It stops you from doing that and you have to go outside and go home, maybe have a little sleep, you know, take the misses out for a parmi and think twice about it. So I think it's good, sensible, moderate.
Speaker 3: And because you had the prepaid card, you can afford the party exactly there are and your wife stays with you.
Speaker 4: Oh well, look at clubs around the country. Their prices are so affordably. If could afford the parmy even without.
Speaker 6: The pre paid wins around to the front page of the Courier. Mound Now Brisbane coach pays ultimate.
Speaker 8: Price after season's failure. Bronc shock.
Speaker 6: Is it really after such a failure, Is it really such a shock?
Speaker 8: Kevy gone?
Speaker 6: Kevin Walters is set to leave the Brisbane Broncos coaching job. It can be revealed Walters has severed ties with the Broncos immediately following a club wide review in the wake of Brisbane's shock free fall to finish twelfth this season.
Speaker 8: Where have they normally finished?
Speaker 3: Well, this is the point. Last year they made the Grand Final. He took the team over a few years ago and the team was an absolute disaster. He got them to a Grand Final which they just lost, and then this year because they didn't perform so well, he's out the door.
Speaker 1: So lately.
Speaker 2: What the players have done not that much, evidently.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on Kevin Balter's performance over the years.
Speaker 6: He's asking me this because I literally said, I can't intro this story. I don't know the first thing about this bloke called the Broncos.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people are saying that, you know.
Speaker 6: Yes, what an illustrious career he has had.
Speaker 3: Joe, Let's go to the Gold Coast Bulletin. They're leading with what the el minister billionaire wants A Scanlon step in overstalled project. Billionaire developer Bob l has demanded State Housing Minister Megan Scanlon intervene on his four thousand home Cumraate development. Now, this development has been approved by the council, it's been approved by the state government, but it's stalled awaiting federal environmental approvals. I thought, we're in the middle of a housing crisis, and the federal government keeps saying we're doing everything to address this and fix this, and they rattle off all the money they've committed on all the programs that they have entitled, and yet here we've got a four thousand home development. It's all been approved, but the federal governments still haven't signed off on it environmental.
Speaker 4: It's the exact reversal of what the normal problem is. So usually, you know, the federal government sets a housing target and the states say, right, we're going to implement this housing target and put them there, and we say, there's absolutely no way, not in my backyard, we're not going to do it. And now it's the council saying yes, and the state government's saying yes, and then the Fed's going, actually, there might be a you know, green and golden bell frog there somewhere, which is just.
Speaker 6: Ridiculous because they are completely failing with regard to their own target that supposedly kicked off in July.
Speaker 8: None of us can tell you'd think.
Speaker 6: They'd be gagging at this opportunity. Just sign off on it. You've got a developer, he's raring to go.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we're going to go to a break when we come back. Coca Cola.
Speaker 3: Ban the names Jesus and Trump from personalized cans, will show.
Speaker 2: You in just a moment, welcome back. Now.
Speaker 3: This is an incredible story. Coca Cola is have got these personalized cans, but they're not for everybody.
Speaker 6: Apparently, no video has recently gone viral pointing out the fact that these guys won't allow the word Trump or Jesus to be put on their personalized cans. Everyone's wondering what the heck Coca Cola.
Speaker 8: Check out this.
Speaker 6: Video illustrating someone trying to use Jesus or Trump, but he can use every other person under the sun.
Speaker 5: You can put Allah loves you, or you be even let me sing yourself, me lets you track it out, Buddha loves you.
Speaker 1: But that even take in the word Jesus. We cannot allow this text when the camp.
Speaker 8: Are you surprised? Are you really surprised?
Speaker 6: Well, you won't be surprised any longer when I tell you that the three biggest stakeholders in Coca Cola are Black Rock, Vanguard, and State Street. These guys take every opportunity to push their agenda. They do nothing to hide it.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't it be them like that?
Speaker 4: There would be a program that would be in there say any words that could potentially like that would actively sort of flag words that were no go zones to cause controversy.
Speaker 1: And obviously forgot.
Speaker 4: To put in Allah and Buddha and everything, but decided that was, oh yeah, just it could be the.
Speaker 2: Other way around.
Speaker 8: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Inuating so no, I reckon that they would have.
Speaker 4: There would have been someone who said, it's like in the iPhone, you know, when you do predictive text and it won't let you swear, which is very unfair to ducks, by the what.
Speaker 3: But they forgot to put in Trump as well, that's.
Speaker 4: Right, would have they would have put in those words We're going to make sure for our brand management, we're not going to allow any of these controversial words. And they would have put in Trump. They would have put in Jesus. They would have put in all those ones on the band, but other people were forgot to put it.
Speaker 6: We're illustrating. It allows you to put Satan, it allows you to demons names. Is perfectly executive.
Speaker 1: We're saying, oh, we can't have anything religious.
Speaker 2: Every other religious figure there you go go figure.
Speaker 3: All right, well that's it from us, but stick around. Coming up in just a moment is the reader pend