Speaker 1: Long showing.
Speaker 2: Thanks Andrew, and make sure you stick around for your horoscope later in the show. No, we're not actually going to do that here now. Last night I spoke to you just into Nampagen per Price, of course, about what's going on in Alice Springs with.
Speaker 3: The curfew, but also the need to.
Speaker 2: Look beyond just knee jerk band aid responses to problems in indigenous communities and start doing something to actually stop them at the cause. And today, on the third day of curfew in the troubled town, reports that a major brawl has erupted outside a local supermarket. Police confirmed that they made multiple arrests after the group was seen fighting with various weapons. Now, this is all a bit like a weed. You can rip the top off it and it'll looked like it isn't there. But unless you actually pull out at the roots, take it out roots and all, it's simply going to grow back. That's what will happen in Alice Springs and it's what keeps happening in indigenous communities across the country. This is what Senator Price had to say to me last night.
Speaker 4: This labor government, the Albanezer government, the territory government want to maintain Aboriginal people on welfare on dependent on governments instead of allowing them to stand on their own two feet and creating real jobs out on communities, not a jobs program, but actually opening up for economic development opportunities in remote communities so that there's.
Speaker 1: Not this double standard going on.
Speaker 4: You know, if life got better out of communities, we wouldn't have the influx of people in our towns, know, using the services well.
Speaker 2: The Australian Today reported on an essay Senator Price has written for its sixtieth anniversary Collectors Edition magazine, which will be published this Saturday, in which he calls for an advancement movement in Indigenous affairs, whereby Indigenous people who are on welfare would do the jobs in their communities that are currently filled by fly in, fly out workers to quote meet the standards other Australians are expected to meet. She writes in the essay, we can continue along the separatist road that sees Indigenous Australians as irrevocably damaged by settlement and wants to keep Aboriginal culture stuck in time like a museum piece. Traditional culture is romanticized by those who do not live it. While reinvention of culture has become an industry in the name of reconciliation for the purpose of political influence. This separatist way forward leaves negative parts of Indigenous culture alone to grow and fester, things like cultural violent payback, arranged marriage and apportioning tragedies and mishaps to sorcery, all of which are anathema to modern culture. This is a view that lowers standards for Indigenous Australians. This has been the strategy of decades of government agencies and academic activists, and yet they fail to draw the obvious connection between this approach and the failure to make up much ground on closing the gap spot on. This has been the problem with Indigenous affairs policy for decades. No one is willing to do what is right what is difficult, because it's either too hard or it means facing hard truths about what is going on in Indigenous communities. Hard truths like the fact that Aboriginal women are thirty four times more likely to be hospitalized with violence related injuries and six times more likely to die from them. Hard truths like the fact that Indigenous children are eight times more likely to suffer abuse or neglect the non Indigenous children. Hard truths like the fact that the rates of sexual assault reported to police in twenty twelve among Indigenous children age zero to nine in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory were two to four times higher than rates among Nonindigenous children. And yet we keep talking about Australia Day a Native Title and truth and treaty and all these other things that do very little to materially change the lives of Indigenous people for the better. Now. I've used this line before, but the closest many inner city lefties who claim to care about Indigenous issues have actually been to an Indigenous person is when they see them on the footpath from their BMW's. They say they are, but they don't. You know, if they really cared, they'd be talking about these issues, the root issues that lead to violence and disruption in places like Alice Springs and lifelong cycles of welfare. I sometimes feel like I'm shouting into the abyss saying this, but Indigenous affairs needs hard action and tough decisions, not virtue signaling talk. God knows we've had enough of that. We have nothing to show.
Speaker 1: For it.
Speaker 3: Now, there's probably been a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Concern in the New South Wales greyhound racing industry of late that perhaps the bad days were back. Of course, last time the industry found itself in trouble in twenty sixteen, then Liberal Premier Marke Baird tried to.
Speaker 3: Ban the sport.
Speaker 5: He said the industry would not be economically viable in the long term, it would still lead to the slaughter of thousands of healthy dogs and lie baiting would likely to continue. Now, when confronted with those facts, the only humane response is to close that industry down and do it in a way that we work with every single stakeholder with order, with respect, and ensuring we minimize the consequences.
Speaker 3: And well we all know how that went.
Speaker 2: Three months later, after facing massive political heat, particularly from within in his own coalition, that ban was gone.
Speaker 5: Now the feedback that I have received, my cabinet colleagues, MPs across government have received from the community is yes, they were horrified by the findings in the Special Commission of Inquiry of what was going on in the industry, but they have also said why did you not give the industry one last chance? That is what they have said consistently again and again. So it's clear in hindsight as we reflect on this, well we got it wrong.
Speaker 2: He certainly did get it wrong, and then three months after that Bad's premiership was over. It was one of the most extraordinarily moronic, unilateral decisions I've seen a politician make, and ultimately, of course he.
Speaker 3: Paid the price.
Speaker 2: So I guess it's no great surprise that Labor New South Wales Premier Chris Mins today ruled out banning greyhound racing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you'd have to be.
Speaker 2: A complete idiot to open that can of worms again. Now, the reason all of this was potentially back on the table is because the governing body's former chief Vet Pender report, which was sent to Greyhound Racing New South Wales in June that claimed rehoming rates had been inflated, dogs were racing too much, causing too many injuries, and that they were left to quote unquote live out their miserable post racing lives in industrial kennels. Now, some of the allegations, including those relating to veterinary care, warranted further investigation. According to a response by Greyhound Welfare and.
Speaker 3: Integrity Commission g wick As it's called.
Speaker 2: That was tabled in state parliament yesterday, but it also dismissed others as wrong, including that hundreds of dog deaths had been hidden. That's the Integrity Commission saying that, not the industry itself, and the chief executive of greyhound Racing New South Wales resigned yesterday. Now I know not everyone is that interested in greyhound racing.
Speaker 3: In fact, the vast majority of people probably aren't.
Speaker 2: And older Claire, as many viewers would know that I have owned racing greyhounds and I still have one. But you see the issue is that because greyhound racing isn't as popular as horse racing, it makes it an easy target for activists and ultimately an easy sacrificial lamb for state governments to offer up to the animal activists to make.
Speaker 3: Them shut up. But they won't shut up.
Speaker 2: Racing should be as safe as absolutely possible in all its forms, but like anything in life, it does come with risks. Animal welfare should always be paramount. But don't think that if you hand over greyhound racing because well it's pretty small, who really cares that it'll save horse racing from being next, Because it will be next. It's the same reason I argued so strongly against jumps racing being banned in South Australia because it's a win for animal activists.
Speaker 3: It just emboldens them.
Speaker 2: And again I'll declare that I have jumps horses that run in Victoria, because of course that's the only place that still runs jumps races in this country. And speaking of South Australia, they ran an inquiry into greyhound racing last year and appointed an inspector this year. Premier Peter Malinowskis has said that the industry has two years to clean itself up, otherwise it faces the prospect of no longer being able to enjoy the social license and the government support that is required for it to be able to operate. In other words, it could be banned now. Having been involved in the racing industry both horses and dogs, as an owner and a journalist, I can assure you that the vast majority of people adore their animals. That's why they go into racing in the first place. Activist elites don't like racing, and they certainly don't like greyhound racing because it's largely a working class pursuit and the only thing that inner City. Green's voters hate more than hard working people in the suburbs is those people enjoying themselves.
Speaker 3: But believe me, if.
Speaker 2: Greyhound racing is sacrificed at the altar of animal activism, more dominoes will fall. Also tonight, a second group of both people intercepted at our border this week and sent back home. Plus the Sydney River has become the latest target in the left pursuit to rewrite history. And the Australian Defense Force gets a new chief, but will he be able to reshape our work adf Well. It's been revealed by the Daily Telegraph that under this Labor government, more than two three hundred asylum seekers flew into Australia in May. Now that's the highest monthly number since Albanizi took office two years ago. The majority of arrivals have been from China, followed by Vietnam, Columbia and India, and then from Palestine. One hundred and nineteen people have applied for protection visas from there. Let's bring in our panel to discuss former Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger and former Labor Senator Graham Richardson Graham, the numbers are as high as they've been in two years. My assumption, I don't know what yours is, but my assumption is that after n Z YQ and all the other things that have happened, you've had boats that have reached the shore. We've always known that the vast majority of a salem seekers come by plane, but they've looked at us now and gone, gee, Australia is a soft touch.
Speaker 3: Let's give it a go. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think you know.
Speaker 7: It's a sort of case of bring back Scott Morrison, who can at least lay claim to having stopped the boats because he did. Look, I don't think there's any nice way to handle this, and I don't believe that we should give any support to cure jumpers, no support whatsoever. So as far as I'm concerned, you can be as.
Speaker 1: Tough as you like.
Speaker 7: I don't think we should sink the motes, but I certainly think we should stop them.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael, of the eighty thousand rejected asylum seekers in Australia eighty thousand, only eleven have actually left the country.
Speaker 3: Eleven.
Speaker 8: Mate, it seems like there'll be a while before the eighty thousand are leaving. Look, here's the problem. There are more than fifty million people worldwide the uns AT a few years ago who were refugees looking for somewhere else to live. The truth is probably more than a million people would prefer to live somewhere else. They want to live. That's why you know, nine ten eleven million have crossed the southern border into America from Mexico. Because of the tyranny of distance, is harder for people to get here. But if the truth be known, Caleb, there would be millions of people who would like to make their way to Australia. And if they find a way to get here and then can use a legal system which they can to delay their deportation if they fail to win citizenship or asylum, they're going to do it. And as you say, and everybody, every Australian knows, labor a week on these issues. They always have been. And yeah, as Richo said, you know, Abbott and Dudden got it right. And you know, Dan Teene impresses me as a bloke who's got the courage to do something about this. You cannot have an open door policy. It destroys people's confidence in the immigration process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean the strength of the border force has been under question as well. And as I said before, we've actually had boats reached the shore under this government in the last year or so. And we saw a story I think it might have been last week where one boat that was turned back. Well the boat wasn't turned back. They actually took the boat away, destroyed it and gave them a speedboat to go back to Indonesia. You know, here's a gift to go and do more people smuggling.
Speaker 3: How good can it get? Now?
Speaker 2: Facebook and Instagram's parent company Meta has announced that it will be removing more posts that attack Zionists.
Speaker 3: But there is a catch.
Speaker 2: It'll only be done and the term is used to describe Jewish and Israeli people in a general context, not when it involves supporters of Zionism as a political movement. Graham, it feels like they're having a bet each way here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's too wellb each way for sure. I wouldn't have that kind of restriction. I think the reality is that we've all been called Zionists at times because anyone associated with support with the State of Israel is labeled that way. That's just a fact. Now, Well, I accepted the label a long time ago.
Speaker 3: So I don't care, Michael. Your response, well.
Speaker 8: At least it's a start, that's what i'd say. At least it's a start. You know, Big Tech have been incredibly slow on these issues. They've just started, right, They've started, and you know what they need to understand is that the language of the left is to attack, oh, the st of Israel, the Israeli government or Zionists. They never use their taught don't use the word Jews. Don't say we hate Jews, because you'll get into trouble like those people did on October eight in Sydney. So they use these synonyms. Oh, we're just against Zionism, we're against net Yahoo. No, these people basically hate Jews. They are hard left racists. And the sooner Big Tech works that out, the better, mate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing that does consume me a bit about censorship with Facebook is we've seen how they've used it before, and of course when they during the Voice campaign, for instance, we're deciding that stuff that was patently true, including comments by our own creedline, were deemed to be misinformation and disinformation and they wouldn't post it. I do worry a little bit Michael that sometimes, you know, they like to say that they're doing the right thing and this is probably an easy win for them, but sometimes their application of these kind of rules is pretty cluster.
Speaker 8: Mostly it's like cluster. But there's start. They're starting, mate, they're starting to get to the they can see where the center of rationality is and they're starting to move towards it. It'll take come a long time though.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: The New South Wales Premier Chris Mindsey, of course announced today that the retail trade ban on Anzac Day will be extended. So it used to be until one pm. Now it'll go for the entire day as of next year. Here's what he had to say earlier.
Speaker 10: Creeping commercialization of Anzac Day over a prolonged period of time to the detriment of the importance of the day. There's many things that divide up our community in New South Wales and Australia, and the truth of the matter is the nation's national day is Anzac Day.
Speaker 2: Here here and Grahamipendercolin for News dot com dot Au today about this, basically saying that you know, I hope this might be a moment for some people who've lost connection to Anzac Day. To stop and think because because they can't go shop anymore, to stop and think, hang on, this is a really important day for our nation, and to take stock of why it's an important day for our nation because we are now closer to global conflict than we have been in a long time, and that makes Anzac Day more important than it has ever been.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 7: I think that the distinction is that Australia Day is a holiday, whereas Anzac Day is a holiday that means something, that has something behind it. There's a raison deetra for Anzac Day that I think we can all stand up and salute. And so I'm a great fan of Anzac Day. Always will be Australia Day. I never mind another day.
Speaker 2: Off, well, who doesn't mind another day on? But this ought to go national Markel?
Speaker 1: Well it should.
Speaker 8: And look can I say this about this fellow Chris Mins. He seems to understand what most politicians don't. Most politicians think, I've got to spend more money on health than the next person, more money in education. I'm going to build bigger roads, I've got to have more bridges, et cetera. Center spending the public's money and expect them to be grateful for spending their hard earned taxes. This guy Mins seems to understand that the success, the key to a successful politician is for the electric to think he thinks what I think.
Speaker 3: Yes, his values, his views.
Speaker 8: In other words, its culture. It's why the left hate culture wars, keep saying everything the culture war because they don't want to talk about culture because they know the moral massive working middle class heavily influenced by these cultural issues, like the disgraceful voice trying to divide the country by race. So Men's comes along and he taps into a very important element of the Australian psyche, which is that many Australians alive today, or our parents or our grandp parents have fought for democracy and liberty which doesn't come for free. And Mince taps into this and says, I'm not afraid to say what he has said today. This will build him an enormous cultural support base in the electorate which is traditionally this area is traditionally, as we know, not Labour's are and not their strength. This is an outstanding cultural move by this fellow and it will endear him to so many people in New South Wales and around the country who understand that Anzac Day is probably the most important day in the Australian calendar.
Speaker 2: Mate, definitely, now, very quickly before we move on. Donald Trump returned to the campaign trail today. He challenged President Biden to another debate at his Florida rally.
Speaker 11: Let's do another debate this week so that sleepy job Biden can prove to everyone all over the world that he has what.
Speaker 3: It takes to be president. That wasn't the only thing he challenged him to.
Speaker 2: The former president has sit his sites on a game on the golf course.
Speaker 11: In the debate, Slippy Joe also declared that he wanted to test his skills and stamina against mine on the golf course. Can you believe this? I'm also officially challenging Crooked Joe to an eighteen hole golf match right here.
Speaker 3: Ah, how good.
Speaker 2: We've only got thirty seconds, Michael. But Trumps will give a million dollars to charity of Biden's choice if he can win.
Speaker 8: He won't need to because Biden wanting stick. If Biden's a six handicapper made, I'm Bryson de Chamba.
Speaker 3: Seriously, Graham Richardson, thank you so much. For your time. Now. I don't know about you, but this constant.
Speaker 2: Push to reduce speed limits is really getting on my nerves. Cars are safer than they have ever been, so surely we should actually be able to drive faster than we ever have, or at the very least we can have the same speeds.
Speaker 3: But we have knut councils.
Speaker 2: They keep trying to impose a ghostlow and the latest is Sydney City Council, which has decided that fifty kilometer in our streets across much of its area will be cut to forty kilometers an hour. And of course they say it's just about making everything safer, particularly for pedestrians. But something tells me it's all an effort to discourage people from using their cars.
Speaker 3: Joining me now as founder of.
Speaker 2: Car Expert Paul marriage Paul am I right, is this all just an effort to stop people from using their cars and I don't know, make them get on bikes instead.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, And that is what's happening in Melbourne at the moment. They have put bike lanes everywhere. There is gridlock all around Melbourne. They do not want you driving your car in and around the city, and they portray it as pedestrian safety, But ultimately, when are we actually going to put it onto a pedestrian to watch where they're going because there's no risk of getting hit by a car.
Speaker 1: If you're actually watching where you're going.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a very fair point. But in forty kilometers an hour.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I'm not much of a runner, but I could well, you know, maybe if I was you, Saint Bolt, I could run.
Speaker 1: That bakes to it.
Speaker 3: But you know, at some.
Speaker 2: Points you feel like maybe I should just get out of my car and walk, and of course that's what they want you to do. The reality is that Australia is a car nation because it's a big nation and it has urban sprawl. Now I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Adelaide used to be, per capita, one of the biggest urban sprawls in the world. We know how big Melbourne and Sydney are in terms of their urban sprawls.
Speaker 3: People need a car to get around.
Speaker 2: It's just the reality of life and a country like Australia. And instead of acknowledging that, governments and councils keep putting the speed limit down and punishing you because you dare to live out in the suburbs, but work in the city and have to go through these suburbs that are included in some we like the city of Sydney.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 12: And I mean, you look at the cost of living pressures. A lot of people have to travel longer distances to get into the city and that'll mean catching countless changes on public transport. And people don't even want to be on public transport at the moment, so driving is the only option, and.
Speaker 1: They just make it harder and harder and more and more.
Speaker 12: Expensive to operate a vehicle to the point where you have no choice but to hand your vehicle in and this sort of guys of pedestrian safety. Ultimately, we just need to call it for what it is, and that is having less vehicles in the city.
Speaker 1: And if that's what it is, just say it that way.
Speaker 12: We don't need to just keep putting pressure on drivers but already have enough pressure as it is at the moment.
Speaker 2: Indeed, so what about the alternative, which of course is cycling. They want you to get on your bike and ride into work. And as you said before, Melbourne's put in all these bike lanes. There's all these bike lanes. They have here in Sydney thanks to the illustrious Lord Mayor Clover Moore, who seems to be impossible to unseat.
Speaker 3: Are is anyone actually using these things?
Speaker 12: Well, they're definitely not in Melbourne, and it is so cold out here at the moment.
Speaker 1: I don't know why anyone.
Speaker 12: Same person if you're riding a bicycle, But you have to think of the logic of a bicycle.
Speaker 1: A bicycle is fine if you don't.
Speaker 12: Really need to be doing anything at the end of your journey, but if you need to be carrying things, if you're buying something, a bicycle is virtually pointless. And to be honest, I don't want to be on a bicycle when there's a distracted driver. And this is the issue they're having with pedestrians. If you have a distracted driver and you get cleaned up on a bicycle, it is going to hurt.
Speaker 1: It is the last place I'd want to be.
Speaker 2: But I'm not sure, and I don't know whether there's data to bear this out. I'm not sure that making people drive slower actually makes the roads any safer, because of course they say that, Well, it means if you have a crash, you as the driver will be safer because it will be lower impact and whatever else. But I would have thought that it would just make drivers more frustrated, which makes them more likely to do silly things that they otherwise wouldn't.
Speaker 3: On the road.
Speaker 12: Absolutely correct, and that's the thing. You can reduce the speed limit to the point where you're doing two kilometers an hour, then it's safe for everyone, but then no one gets anywhere and you end up with very frustrated drivers. So ultimately you need accountability for drivers to watch what they're doing, You need accountability for pedestrians to watch what they're doing, and then you would have no reason why the two would ever need to interact. But ultimately that is very hard to clamp down on, very hard to educate people on, and they're just taking the easy approach that they also earn money off on speed cameras as well, so it is just a cyclical thing for the government.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think you should be able to drive one hundred and thirty everywhere and have open speed limits on the highways. But you know I'm never going to get that, am I Poor marriage, Thank you so much for your time. Well, coming up, the Sydney River has become the latest victim in the leafs pursuit to rewrite history. Plus, the Australian Defense Force has a new chief.
Speaker 3: What's he going to do? We'll discuss that after the break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back Caleb bond In for Shari this week. Well, twenty twenty four has been the year of the left attempting to rewrite history. First it was the Health Department's work move to rename it Serious Building because the name was apparently associated with the first Fleet. Then there was a push to rename Latrobe University because of its namesakes, links to Victoria's colonial history and quote genocidal violence. And today we learned have yet another idiotic proposal to rename an Australian landmark, Sydney's Cooks River.
Speaker 3: It's the latest victim.
Speaker 2: Now the Government backed Cook's River Alliance is unhappy with the name's connection to obviously Captain Cook and has proposed that it be changed to its traditional indigenous name. Let's bring in our panel to discuss this and more. Joining me now is Liberal MP Keith Wallahan and Sky News contributor Roco Lecano. Keith, I don't know how many times I have to say this right and every time they go after these activists go after a statue of Captain Cook, I always bring up the fact that he was dead nine years before the first fleet rocked up in this country. Why do they always get so upset about Captain Cook? He was a navigator and explorer. He wasn't involved in the colonization of Australia.
Speaker 3: For heaven's sake.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 13: And when you think about the man that was Captain Cook, there was so much to admire about him. He was someone who appreciated art and science and was fascinated by nature and it was an explorer. So there's a lot to admire about him. But in terms of renaming landmarks and rivers, there is an enormous amount of cost and confusion, and the onus is on those who want to seek a change. There must be a really compelling reason, and there must also be widespread community support for that to occur, and from what I've read about this proposal, those conditions are just not there.
Speaker 3: Oh and rock.
Speaker 2: It goes back to what I was saying in Ladatorial at the top of the show, which is that we always talk about these things when it comes to indigenous policy that do nothing to improve anyone's life. I mean, oh, you could rename Cook's River to anything you absolutely wanted. Is he going to do anything for a single Aboriginal person in the country.
Speaker 6: No, No, absolutely not. I mean I don't see. It's like they want to wave a magic wand will change the name of a river or a landmark and all of a sudden, the problems with substance abuse, school truancy and what's going on, and Alice Springs will magically disappear. And you also mentioned Caleb the ignorance of history. I mean Captain Cook as well as what Keith mentioned being an explorer and someone who loved science, he actually preserved a lot of Aboriginal artifacts, spears and the like, which are preserved at Cambridge. So and we wouldn't know what we know about Aboriginal culture and heritage. People at Captain Cook didn't preserve those things.
Speaker 2: Yep, Captain Cook was a great man and they keep demonizing him because these people don't actually understand the history that they claim to be prattling on about. Now, the Australian Defense Force has a new leader. Admiral David Johnston officially stepped up to the role as chief at a ceremony in Canberra today. Here is what he had to say.
Speaker 14: My role is to ensure that the ADF is ready now and into the future, able to protect our nation security through our strategy of denial now Keith.
Speaker 2: Under the former ADA of Chief Angus Campbell, we saw an array of work initiatives only recently that the ADF job application forms included. You know, you had to put your pronoun and your sexuality if you were aspiring to be a soldier. Do you expect that any of that is going to change after i'mder sorry, I should say Admiral David Johnston.
Speaker 13: I listened to his changeover speech and there was some very important parts to it, none more important than his acknowledgment that our greatest asset in the Defense Force are our people. But let's not forget that the full time defense force of about sixty thousand is short five thousand, So for every twelve ADF personnel around the country, there's one missing. And that should be his number one priority is attracting and retaining the best people that we can who are willing to put their hand up to fight and if required, die for us. It is a job like no other and that's where the Chief of Defense Force should focus his attention on the first day, is making sure that that gap of five thousand is bridged as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean the idea of his staff to be perfectly Frank Rockholm in the resources the declining numbers, as Keith has just talked about, it's a hell of a task to bring us back from that. But what sort of change can we actually expect because it has to be cultural in parts, but it also has to be systemic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And as Keith was saying, we need to get people in there actually want to fight and who want to defend this country. And when we have surveys on at the moment, which I think there was a survey out last year by the IPA that less than fifty percent of Australians would have been prepared to lay down the life for their country in the event of a war, there's a big job to be done and that he's got a lot of work to do if he wants to recruit the people who we need because we're heading into very dangerous waters. I mean, with China getting more belligerent by the day, this is the critical time. This is a critical time for a change over the head of Defense.
Speaker 2: Force certainly is now just Cindra Allen's governments in Victoria is planning to fast track a trial that would involve ankle bracelets being slapped on some of the states.
Speaker 3: Worth youth offenders.
Speaker 2: The Queensland opposition leader David Chris Fooley had already unveiled a policy much the same that would have underage offenders tried as adults in Queensland for serious crimes. I mean something has to be done, Keith. And I know that putting an ankle bracelet on someone probably doesn't stop crime necessarily, but at least it's something.
Speaker 13: Well, it's treating the symptoms and not the cause. Labor weakened here in Victoria the bail laws in March, and since then we have seen an explosion in youth crime. So ankle bracelets aren't going to cut it. They need to restrengthen the bail laws, but they're reluctant to do that because it's an admission of failure. So they're more worried about the political optics rather than keeping Victorian safe. And can I say that as a Victorian. I'm a federal member and this is largely a state issue. My office is constantly receiving feedback and emails and calls from people who have had break ins on their street or their neighbor have been broken into, mostly by young offenders who feel like there are no consequences for them. So this is on labor and they need to be held to account for it.
Speaker 2: The thing I've never understood Roco, is that it's very rare for a government to lose an election on a tough on crime agenda.
Speaker 3: Why haven't we seen more of it?
Speaker 6: Look, there is that's right culor the responsibilities of a state government for law and order, schools, hospitals and infrastructure, and if you look at Victoria, they're failing on all four. And obviously there have been polls coming out which suggests that the government needs to crack down, which is very interesting considering that not all that long ago, injecting rooms near schools were seen as a as an option for reducing crime. So you have to wonder where this this, this government's priorities lie.
Speaker 2: And just very quickly to France, you know we've got months of gridlock lying ahead after no party captured a majority in their chaotic election, where we obviously saw an unexpected surge for the left in their second round of voting. Keith, how do you expect things are going to unfold?
Speaker 13: It's too to tell. But what we do see from the results in France is that there has been a shift from anti Semitism largely on the right, to now anti semitism on the left. It exists on both spectrums of politics, but we're seen it more and more in the left. And I was disturbed to hear some of the comments by some of the candidates are now members in the French Parliament, even legitimizing the attack on the seventh of October, and that is really quite worrying for people of Jewish faith in France and Rocco.
Speaker 3: You've written about exactly this point, haven't you.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean, Keith, you alluded to some of those quotes. I mean, I can read some of them.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: One was from Mellan Sean, who's the trotsky I head of Franz Sanbaudi said that Jews trained dogs to rate Palestinian women. I mean, these are the kind of comments that are being made, and we also have to look the President of Emanuel Macron, with his vanity projec that his presidency has become. I mean he has to he has to share some of the blame for this. I mean he tried to demonize the le Penn's hard right, and all he's ended up doing is is empowering extremists on the left, and we've got gridlock.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, Keith Wallahan, Roco Leocano, thank you so much for your time. Well coming up, World leaders are in Washington, d C. For NATO's annual summit. We'll get the latest plus a second group of both people intersept that at our border this week and sent back home.
Speaker 3: Don't go away.
Speaker 15: Well.
Speaker 2: Leaders from all around the world are in Washington, d C right now for NATO's annual summit, where the Ukraine War is of course at the center of discussions and Defense Minister Richard Marles is set to announce a new aid package for Ukraine, whilst US President Joe Barden has committed to providing Ukraine with five new strategic air defense systems to bolster their fart against Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 3: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 16: The United States, Germany, the Netherlands, Romania and Italy will provide Ukraine with the equipment for five additional strategic defenses. To make no mistake, Ukraine can and will stop Putin.
Speaker 2: To a bit shaky, but it's amazing what he can do with a teleprompter. Joining me now is Strategic Analysis Australia director and Sky News contributor Michael Schubridge. Michael, what do you make of the developments, particularly in relation to Ukraine in terms of this aid. It's a hell of a lot of aid that has been provided to Ukraine so far, there's more to come.
Speaker 3: Where does it end?
Speaker 9: Well, I think it ends with Putin failing to meet his war objectives, which is dismembering Ukraine and toppling the government. So it is good to see some positive news out of this Washington NATO summit that has extra patriot missile defense systems and some shorter range ones as well. Obviously, the Russian missile strike on Ukraine's largest children's hospital shows this is essential for the civilians as well as the Ukrainian military. But I think a bigger issue on every other leader's mind at that NATO meeting is when Biden projects certainty and strength in the US contribution. It's hard for them to even see certainty in him staying the Democrat residential candidate over the next few months.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and of course there's no talk anymore, certainly not in the short term the Ukraine will itself join NATO. That has been rejected at this point in time. So it'll be interesting to see how these things develop. What else are we expecting to come out of this summer.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm prepared to be underwhelmed yet again by the Australian contribution to Ukraine. Now the rumored package is three large three D printers for printing spares. That's handy, But the Australian Army is retiring its M one Abrams tanks because it's getting the new model it could give them and a training package to Ukraine. And it's doing the same with attack helicopters that are European. But remember the last helicopters the Australian military retired, the defense bureaucrats cut up and bury it. So I would love to see Richard Miles do the right thing by Ukraine, but I doubt we'll see that. The other thing I think we're seeing is President Duda of Poland is saying the sensible thing NATO members shouldn't be clapping themselves on the back for a lot of them meeting two percent of GDP on defense. They need to be spending three percent. And I think Richard Miles should bring that message back home here.
Speaker 2: Yes, he certainly should, but whether he does is another matter entirely.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: Now, while we're talking of the Albanezy government, I was talking before about national borders and the way things are going. And you know, in just one week a second group of boat people have been intercepted by authorities and sent back to Indonesia. I mean, it seems pretty clear that people smugglers are starting to change their tactics. They think that we are a soft touch. That's the message that they received from the High Court decision and boats being able to hit land, which they did last year. The Albanezy government doesn't seem to have really updated the twenty thirteen sovereign Borders program for the modern world.
Speaker 9: Yes, you can see that rising pressure. And I don't know, I'm a little bit skeptical about this policy that the government has of when a legal boat rivals turn up, if their boats aren't any good, we give them new ones.
Speaker 12: See.
Speaker 9: I kind of think they could drive a whole different kind of influx of people looking for new boats free as a free gift from the Australian government. And the other concern I have you mentioned the new Chief of Defense for is having to deal with that collapsing recruitment problem. Well, the nave's having trouble putting it ships and boats. To see, that's going to create porous borders for us. So David Johnstone, that new chief, he needs to show that he's not just going to do what he's done for the last six years as Vice chief, and he needs to address some of the challengers that have been staring him in the face in his previous job.
Speaker 3: Quite right.
Speaker 2: Another story I mentioned earlier in the show, but remaining on the border theme, was that the Daily Telegraph had revealed today that under the current government, in the month of May you had twenty three hundred asylum seekers that flew into Australia by plane, which is the highest month on record since the government came to power. Again, it just seems like we have sent a message to the world that we're open for business and our borders a porous and so many of these people who fly in and claim asylum turn out not to be asylum seekers, but very few of them get sent home.
Speaker 9: Well, I remember a Christie Kennearly when she was a Labor senator, being deeply critical of the then government for dropping the ball on illegal arrivals by air. But I haven't seen the alberan Easy government do anything new or effective. And you've got to think the combination of large numbers of arrivals by air that then claim asylum after they're off the plane and in Australia, combined with what looks like a more porous border, that's going to make immigration and illegal arrivals a radioactive issue for the Alberansi government. They really need to start investing in both.
Speaker 2: These areas most definitely, Michael Shubridge a pleasure as always. Well after the break, no one can understand why Biden is so desperate to stay in the race, But we might have just figured out why don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you after the break. Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether you caught this on the Kenny Report, which of course is being hosted at the moment.
Speaker 3: By Steve Price.
Speaker 2: Pauline Hanson tried to do an interview in front of a Mary Poppen's statue and this is what happened.
Speaker 17: I'm in Marava, Steve, and I've got to tell you this. We're setting up to do the film here. So our staffer came from the council and told me that I can't film here next to Mary Poppins because they're apolitical, and told me I shouldn't be here. I told them, get lost. I'm doing the interview here. They said, we're going to bring the police up the please turner. And you see a confrontation here, you know what's happening with it because Mary Poppins is apolitical and I shouldn't be actually doing.
Speaker 9: The interview here.
Speaker 2: I mean, for goodness sake, reason four thousand and five hundred and eighty six to.
Speaker 3: Abolish councils right there. All right, let's go over to the US.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden's Democratic aids are desperately trying to carve a path forward for the US president, and of course, in the wake of these multiple catastrophic public performances, he's had the Debate, of course chief among them. But a recent piece by The Wall Street Journal was highlighted a potential reason as to why the Democrats are still going to battle for their frail president now Currently, Joe Biden has an estimated one million US dollars in the war chest for this year's campaign, but apparently the rules specify that if Biden drops out before the Democrats formally make him their nominee at the National Democratic Convention in August, they're no more than two thousand dollars sorry if any campaign funds can be transferred to another candidate.
Speaker 3: So it's no wonder Biden.
Speaker 2: Is so desperately keeping on to discuss this and much more. Is Brianna Aligneman, elections correspondent for the Federalist Brianna, what do you make of this theory?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think it's definitely plausible as an explanation why Biden has yet two step down. But I don't think that Biden has any plans to step down, especially when you know that you know, the one hundred million dollars that he has in his war chest that can go to the DNC, and the DNC is not stupid. They will spend that money wisely to target where were they residential nominee is So I think this is just Biden being defined and not wanting to leave his post. And the best part is we wouldn't even need to have this conversation if Democrats didn't subvert the you know, actual democracy that they want to talk about and allow a real primary to happen a few months ago. But they didn't. They wanted to silence anyone, including Dean Phillips who was a Democrat challenging Biden for the nomination and said Joe Biden's not all their mentally. They didn't allow him to really have a fair primary challenge because they didn't want to address these problems head on. And now they find themselves in a rock and a hard place because they have no choice but to address these issues.
Speaker 2: And this is the shard and forrad every little right like they coveted up for so long, the American media coveted up for so long even though it was so obvious to everyone in a long come to the debate, and it is absolutely obvious to everyone, and they have to do something if they want to win this election.
Speaker 3: There's no two ways about it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this is extreme damage control mode right now. You know, they thought that they could hide Biden. You know, they can hide them from the press. He rarely takes questions. He is the president. And I think what four decades that has given the least amount of media interviews, yet he prides his administration on being, you know, one of transparency that we don't actually get. Back in February, Republicans were concerned when the Robert Herbert word came out that said that Biden was basically forgetting things and not cognitive or not all cognizant, and Democrats refuse to release the tape. In fact, Mary Garland, our attorney general, is being held in contempt of Congress because he's refusing to release the tapes. If they weren't damning, like we know they are, they would release them. But instead they're trying to run defense and create this bubble around Joe Biden to really prevent him from being kind of, you know, shot down any more than he already is now.
Speaker 2: Of course, they know that they will be in big trouble if Biden goes to the election. Trump will just walk all over him like he did at the debate. So, you know, if you want to win this election, you've got to get some votes from somewhere, right, And this legislation that's being proposed in the US today that would require a voter to prove that they are a citizen before.
Speaker 3: Registering to vote.
Speaker 2: You've written a brilliant piece in The Figuralist about the democrats somewhat redundant position on this bill. But why do you think they might be so hell bent against it when Biden's doing so badly.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Democrats benefit from loose election security laws, not just with non citizen voting, but for instance, you know you'll get unmanned, absentee ballid drop boxes right where people can just drop a ballot and nobody knows who's dropping it off. They benefit from that. It's why they spend millions of dollars to change your race in Wisconsin so that they could reverse a ruling that said those ballot drop boxes are illegal. And when it comes to non citizen voting, Democrats, especially Biden, keep saying that it's already illegal. Well, so is speeding. But if you don't get caught, you actually get in trouble. Right, And in the United States voter registration form, you just sign a box that says I'm a citizen and then sign your name right, so our free and for elections hinge on the honor system. And Democrats want you to believe that that's enough to make other Americans feel safe. And secure, but it's not. And so the legislation you mentioned would be give an enforcement mechanism. You sign that box saying your citizen prove it. There is nothing wrong with that, and the fact that Democrats are opposed to it is concerning.
Speaker 2: Well, it's terribly convenient when you've had millions of people pouring over the southern border, illegal bigrants pouring over the southern border out of the bid administraction, isn't it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And it's really funny. You know, Joe Biden has led in almost as many illegal immigrants as Ellis Island did over sixty years legally, to just give you the scope of how bad our immigration system is. And Democrats will tell you, well, illegals don't really vote, it's rare. Fifteen hundred illegal immigrants were accidentally registered to vote in California at twenty eighteen and the state wouldn't even.
Speaker 1: Have caught it.
Speaker 15: The guy went to the state, they ignored him. So we went to a local newspaper and said, they're ignoring me. But this is what's happening, right. So the fact that we have all this proof that Democrats don't care when it does happen, actually support non citizens voting in local elections. It leads credence to the idea that Democrats are doing this on purpose.
Speaker 2: Now, they did actually manage to get the president upright and in front of a telly prompter for his NATO convention speech today.
Speaker 3: What did you make of it?
Speaker 15: Yeah, you know, this is an opportunity for Biden to try and calm fears, and I don't think it did that. The reason being, Biden didn't make any serious guests during his speech, but he was reading off a teleprompter. That's how Biden has done this past four years, is reading off a teleprompter, reading off note cards, having predetermined questions given to him, so he has prep time for an answer. He is not good on his feet, and a president has to be good on his feet because when they go meet with world leaders, they're not given the upper hand. World leaders want to have the upper hand themselves, and so Joe Biden can't actually handle that scenario. So I think he's actually doing a press conference tomorrow in the United States. I'm hoping that that'll give us a better opportunity to see where he's at.
Speaker 2: Now you've only got ten seconds here, Brienna, But a golf playoff between Joe Biden and Donald Trump, a million dollars to charity if Biden wins the Charities of the USA and gett.
Speaker 3: A Saint Halo.
Speaker 15: Look, Joe Biden couldn't even ride a bicycle. He can't walk process stage, and he can't walk down a flight of stairs, So I don't really know if you'd fare well in the golf match.
Speaker 2: A Brianna Lineman, thank you so much for your time. Look, I'm a pretty ordinary golfer, and I reckon even I could do better than Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: And that's saying something. That's all we've got time for tonight. Stay tuned now. James Murray is up next with Paul Murray Live