Speaker 1: I want the fairy tale. I want the prince charming.
Speaker 2: She how do I put?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: Isn't a fan of my kissing style.
Speaker 1: We would boyfriend and girlfriend for about twelve hours.
Speaker 2: He's in a trash bin.
Speaker 3: He's non recyclable, catching member.
Speaker 2: I love being love, I love love.
Speaker 1: On today's episode of Where's Your Head At, we are welcoming khan On into the studios.
Speaker 4: Not only has Kan been on Master Chef Australia and Survivor Australia, but he owns his own cooking book and has developed a menu for the George On Collins in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Card and I also went to school together, so we have known each other for a long time.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned to hear all about what Karan has coming up next and all about his dating life.
Speaker 1: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 4: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice and much more. Hey Card, Oh my god, Hello, it's good to have you in the studio today.
Speaker 3: We've actually already been in here for like fifteen minutes and we've been laughing this whole time.
Speaker 2: So that was really weird, Like, I know, you got to get run with it.
Speaker 1: So welcome, and we've wanted to have you in for a while, so we're really excited to finally make this happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know this was all Matt's fault though, like he booked in dates and then it was like I'll get back to you and then doesn't get back to me for like two weeks. I'm like those days are gone, Like I'm doing other things now.
Speaker 2: I like a little bit more for playing in my conversations on.
Speaker 3: Jeez, I'm not going to comment on that because there's a lot I can speak about.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna like preface this so that everyone knows KHN and that have a very flirty relationship. So I'm feeling a little bit like a third wheel already. And this has been like a thirty second interview so far.
Speaker 3: Look, I just know what Matt likes, Okay. He loves compliments. He loves it when people tell him that he's pretty, or when people play with his muscles or tell him how like how beautiful his teeth are, Like, he just loves that.
Speaker 2: So when we're sitting there, Jen, me and Khan.
Speaker 4: It Actually it's pretty good because I've got Gen there as my girlfriend and then Kahn's giving me.
Speaker 2: All the compliments and Jen's like, this is cool. It works for me.
Speaker 3: I don't have to do any.
Speaker 1: Works to both worlds and that's having his cakene idiot too.
Speaker 4: All Right, So Cahn, you're also a DJ. How did you transition from music to food?
Speaker 3: Okay? So when I was in high school, I actually study fashion. I think you knew this. I wanted to be a designer for ages. Yeah, so I went to UNI study fashion, but was kind of dabbling with DJing for a long time, like in high school at the end, and then like towards my early twenties, and that became like my career, like it just kind of blew up and went from my strength to strength. But towards the end of it, so when I was twenty five something, about eight years into the career, now I fucking hated it, Like you're not the expectation to go out and beat and to have to perform every single day, and like people are like, oh, why don't you not drink? I'm like the booking's actually dipped. When I was having sober months because I'm more fun when i'm playing if I'm drunk. Yeah, I grew to resent it, like I just hated it. And then one of my best friends actually was like, you should go on master Chef and I was like no, and then she was like, Okay, well I've applied for master Chef for you. I was like, great, I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That's a really impressive thing about you because obviously when I knew you, your whole dream was to be a fashion designer. And then you went into like this massive.
Speaker 2: DJ in Melbourne. Everyone knew you.
Speaker 1: You were kind of getting booked for everything, and then all of a sudden, you're on master Chef and I was like, this guy just has so many talents, Like you just had your foot in the door of kind of everything, which was super impressive.
Speaker 3: Look, I think millennials do that, right, Like we all do this thing where we have like many fingers in many pies. We want to do everything in life. Nothing kind of stops us. If we have an interest, we want to do it. And that's kind of how I see life. Like right now, we're circling back to the fashion thing because I'm working on another like a label that's not a merch label because I'm like, maybe we should go back there. This is this is the merch like, yeah, you've got you a loved Yeah that you are loved one. It kind of went quiet for a while because I got really busy and I couldn't do it. So I'm like, but I found someone to now deal with it for me to look after like my stock and my orderings and everything. So I think that's going to pop back up. But yeah, I'm working on another label that's more street, that's more like the aesthetic. It's cut out pants and cowboy hats.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Not oh maybe for you.
Speaker 1: So that's really exciting. So you are delving back into fashion. That was one of my questions to you, like do you think you'll ever go back into fashion? And it's crazy that you are and you're getting on board with that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'm actually wearing one of my samples. These pants are one of my samples, you see.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I I mean, I mean, you know, trying about it for years, but I was like, oh, I don't know what to do. I don't know like how it's going to go. And recently in the last two years, I'm like everything that I do seems to be fun and I enjoy it and I like doing it, so it's like, why not just try it? So I've got someone else looking outter I deal with the designs. I'm just like, can you do with the technical stuff like emailing people? And just like yep, kind needs that sample today? Like someone else do that? And the worst I'm actually the worst at emails and text messages.
Speaker 1: We know, but like you play to your strengths. You've got a lot going on, Like, I'm sure that you don't have time to be sending a million emails, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think it comes down to commitment, and if it's in writing, I'm committed. So instead I'll call people like, hey, let's do this, and then when they send me mem I'm like, yes, so can't.
Speaker 1: You're a master of many trades. But I want to kind of take it back and just kind of understand a little bit about your life pre all of this amazing accomplishment.
Speaker 3: I'm very driven and I work hard, and I think that comes from my parents. Mom and dad came over to Australia in ninety two, no ninely three. They're refugees, so I was born in a refugee camp. So Mum and Dad lived in a refugee camp in Indonesia for four years and I was born there came every when I was Two refugee camps in back then are totally different. Two refugee camps now refugee camps now it just glorified prisoners. Basically, back then, it was more of a community. They were living in an island, they had housing. They all had jobs so that like they would work for money and or to trade things with like people that are waiting to get their forms dealt with, so their paperwork kind of worked out. So very different. But it was also really hard because Mum's really funny. She doesn't tell me a lot. But once in a while, when I'm like I catch her on a good day, I'll ask her something and she'll be like, blah blah blah this happened. I was like, how did you not tell me that for like the last nineteen years, like what I think? When I was at my first year of UNI, Mum was like, yeah, yeah. So when Dad was on the boat with me, he had to dive under to fix a broken propeller in shark infested waters, and I was like, what I'm like sorry, She's like yeah, because we could see the sharks following us, and then like the boat was stopped, so like someone had to jump in and Dad did it. And I was like, how have you not told me this? And she's like yeah, and we were shot at by like pirates and I was like, are you lying or you know? She's like no, No, it's true because pirates always go for refugee boats because all of those people's belongings, most valued things are on them because they're moving countries, they're leaving, so they've got gold, they're taking it with them. They have money, they're taking them them with them. Like everything that you have is of value, goes with you when you're leaving your country.
Speaker 2: Makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I came everyone us too. We had absolutely zero. Mum was working for family. Dad was working for family, and then they slowly made enough money to then start their own business. Mum was working as a Maybe this is where the fashion comes in because Mum was a seamstress and she was a sample maker for brands like Portman, His Hands and things like that because she was really good with a sewing machine. Yeah. Dad worked as a butcher and then when I was ten or eleven, they opened their own butcher shop, which is kind of Mum's little baby. Now she's got like other stores and she's like really like changed everything. She has like a lot of commercial real estate. But Dad actually passed away when I was in year ten, but mums to use that as like her stepping stone to improve everything. But then she's got like this soft spot for the butcher shop where she's like always just goes into the butcher shop, which is the cutest thing in spring Vale. In spring Vale, so it's called TAM's Asian Butcher, so Mum changed the names. Now Dad's name was Tam. Yeah, oh, I know, she's so cute.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. It's really interesting because obviously you've kind of taken little bits from both of your parents, which is so rare. I'm assuming that that's just like subconsciously you've just kind of fallen into these similar passions.
Speaker 3: So I think I have this theory that what you want to do in life and your passions in life are connected to nostalgic moments that you had when you were younger, or moments that you found happiness with, like Mum and Dad. I would only really see them after they were working in the kitchen when they were making dinner. So that was what was my happy place. I would sit on a bench and like I would help them like pick herbs or roll things, and so cooking always reminds me of happiness.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. That is really cute.
Speaker 3: No, I'm fine. I'm like we're almost there, and I'm like I'm just gonna pull that back at tiny this. I don't start sobbing.
Speaker 1: It must have been really hard for you losing your dad in your ten like you're a teenager, Like there's so much involved in being a teenager and like the struggles that you're kind of navigating through.
Speaker 2: How was that for you?
Speaker 3: I deal with loss really strangely, and death really strangely. Like so I watched my dad die and then the next day I went to school and prettended it didn't happen. And I don't think when many people knew that dad even passed away, because I was just at school because I was, yep, this is normal. The teacher just knew because I was like late for like assignments and things, and they're like something's happening, and it's like, well, my dad's dead like, but but I used it in such a matter of fact way it was nothing emotional attached to it. And then it actually I didn't get emotional about Dad passing until two years later and I was sitting in the car with my mum and she was asking me questions and I was like, I don't want to talk about this. I really don't want to talk about this, and she said it like six times, like I kept asking me the same question six times or trying to talk about this subject. And so we were rolling to it, I stopped and I literally just opened the door and rolled out, Like I just like literally dropped and rolled out of the car. It was it wasn't traveling fast. It's probably ten k's because we were like rolling to a stop. But I was like still like yeah, and then it was I know, not me at all. Really bad decision though, because I had to walk home from to a half case.
Speaker 2: I regretted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as like I guess, like you even having to have that conversation, you'd prefer to basically roll out of the people have the conversation.
Speaker 3: That's big though, Yeah, Like I think I really just resented mum for no reason whatsoever, Like I cracked it at her, and then as soon as I graduated, I applied for Central Saint Martin's in London, which is a fashion design school. Got in, which I was so happy with, like so proud of, ran away, left the country, went to London, didn't really speak to Mum, and then I hated London. I hated the cold. I hated that I didn't know anyone. I hated that people weren't nice, Like I would smile at someone in the shop and they wouldn't smile back, and I'm like, wow, you're not smiling. And the school itself is really really competitive, like for fourth year placements you get put in like Chanel, like, you get put in like McQueen, like you get put in placements at these amazing European design houses. So everyone's trying really hard. And I was just like, I have no one to hang out with, I have no friends, I have nothing to do. So I came home and then I was like to Mum, hey for us to work. I don't think I can live at home, like I know this is my fault, like you've done nothing for me. I need space from you. But I did apologize as well, and we're best friends. Now, I cooked at it in last night for her birthday. Yeah. So but yeah, I was like I was a teenager. I was a jerk, and like, you didn't really deserve for me to just kind of cut you off, but I did. So that was really hard because, yeah, because obviously what I was feeling, Mum would have been feeling like a hundred times worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long did you and your mum not talk for?
Speaker 3: Well, we were talking, but it was very real, like I tolerate you kind of thing, and it was probably for about two years, two years from like seventeen eighteen nineteen. Yeah, yes, towards the end of seventeen beginning of nineteen. Yeah, so that that was really difficult. And then like, because I'm really close with my sister, so I would just speak to Amy and then my Amy would relay anything that mum had. Yeah, so she.
Speaker 1: Was kind of like the little middleman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it was all I love her, she's so cut.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Amy, you went on Survivor with Amy? How was that experience?
Speaker 3: Didn't get play together? So the funny thing is my sister and I we don't talk about our emotions a lot to each other. Yeah, yeah, like I talk about her to other people, but to her, I'm like I hate you. I to other people, I'm like, she's the cutest thing in the world. She's so beautiful. She doesn't know it. So on Survivor, I was like, Oh, it's gonna be fine, like we're not together. But every single time we did a challenge when I saw her, I started crying, like every single time, to the point that people were like, you're putting this on for the cameras, and I'm like, I'm actually not, like, I'm just like I'm just emotionally unstable.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: How does she find being on Survivor and that, because I know I've spoken to you before and you said she's not really like that sort of stuff, like the attention and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: She doesn't like cameras, she didn't like attention, She didn't like any of that because she yeah, it wasn't for her. And then she went on and she's like love it. She's like this is easy. And then towards it end, now she's like she came out of it, and she's like people were sending me dresses and makeup and I'm like, I know.
Speaker 1: You also put out a cookbook which you sent me and I have. Yeah, I was going to say anyone.
Speaker 2: It's a really nice little note in there as well.
Speaker 3: It was a nude was.
Speaker 4: You said that you're going to cook me in your recipe though? So you still haven't. I could actually come over, yeah, to bring chat.
Speaker 3: I love Jen. I actually really like we need to like clear that part. Like it along really well because Jen kind of like bags Matt and I like it.
Speaker 2: You're my Yeah, you're my night. That sticks up for me sometimes.
Speaker 3: Sometimes because sometimes I've been like I've had a couple of drinks, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah. So the cooking book, what goes? What's the process with that? How does it?
Speaker 3: Oh? That was a well wind. So I always wanted a cookbook like but I didn't want like a normal cookbook. I wanted to be like situational and like all about like your emotions, because I think food is really attached to memories and emotions. So the cookbook itself is called a Gay Guy's Guide to Life, Love Food. So that's a pug for myself for myself. Yeah. So it's been into chapters like my family chapter, so it's like traditional recipes that I have from home, and then it's my family that I choose a family like my friends, so recipes I've made for my friends. And then there's a chapter on recipes for a broken heart, so it's like a breakup recipe. Yeah, so it's like Carby, it's like nurturing. It's soul food. And then recipes for your first date or like date night recipes, so things that you can share with someone else that looks really impressive, but it's like super easy. That's the chapter that I like. And the last chapter's fun and it's called like, oh, I don't know if I ended up calling it this, but originally it was going to be called a Gay Guy's Guide to Being a Basic Bitch, and it was like supposed to be like the most basic recipes that you just have to have in your arsenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how long did it take you to write the recipes?
Speaker 3: So recipes? I always have recipes, like I do them all the time. But the interesting thing is I was in Sri Lanka for a wedding when I was told that I was going on Master Chef or that I had like possibilities of going on Master Chef, and from that point to being on Master Chef. I had three months and then I was like, I need to do something to sell while I'm on Master Chef. And I was like, so I called my Plubis show and we were already been speaking about it. I'm like, Okay, we need to like fast forward this because I've got three months until I start filming, and a cold book usually takes like a year. So from that point, I was writing recipes every single day, like writing copy for it because all of my recipes there's all stories behind it, because there's reasons why they're in those chapters. So I did that in about three months. We shot it in like November, just before I started filming. During Master Chef, I was still like dealing with like the copy, like yeah, doing like amendments and stuff to it so that it could be ready for release by the time the show came out. So I literally really did that book in three months.
Speaker 1: Well done, That's yeah, impressive.
Speaker 3: Well you need to because it's like you when you know you're going in a national TV show again. I did it the first time, okay, So I knew what Myster Chef could do for your career. So I was like, there is so many eyeballs that are on you here that if you have something it's going to do well. Yeah, that's right. I didn't want to just go on and be like I am here to continue cooking. It's like, nah, I've got a cookbook, I've got a restaurant, things like plug things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you've all your brand the whole time on there as well.
Speaker 3: Well, this wasn't originally going to be a brand, so yeah. So the reason that I had you are Loved on my chest was I knew I wasn't allowed to wear branded stuff. You know that from TV. You can't wear things with massive brands on them. So instead I was like, I want a message for everyone. So the message is like every time you would see me, it just said that you were loved. So it's beautiful. And then when it aired the first week, it kind of went viral and then everyone's like, where's chef from and I'm like, actually it's not. And then I was like, so I called Sweater Club, who I love. They're a Melbourne bass label that do embroidery, like custom embroidery and things like that, and I was like, hey, do you reckon that? I can get like a thousand of these T shirts done and she's like what, Yeah. So that happened in literally the week that it aired, and I was still on Master's Chef. I was still competing because it airs well, you're competing, kind of like there's a crossover from about aout a month. And then I called my friends Minus eighteen and charity that I used to use when I was younger. They look after lgbt Q I a plus youth. They throw events for young queer people, like they do a queer formal. They throw like picnics and like events to meet other queer people. So I love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then and like when I called them, they're like our slogan is you loved. And I was like, shut up, this is like it meant to be. I just sat on your computer. Sorry about that, you save it for Yeah. So it all kind of aligned. And so I was making these T shirts to give to Minus eighteen and they went crazy. I was all like a thousand every week because people were just like loving it, and I think I loved the messaging behind it that it was like it started from something that was really natural. It wasn't like, oh, I'm going on because I wanted to like sell a T shirt. It was like, oh no, this was supposed to be like a happy thing like for everyone. And then COVID hit which made it more important.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like it was airing while COVID was just beginning.
Speaker 1: I remember, Yeah, yeah, it's so important when you have like such a big following, like you doing such a big profile to spread a positive message.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for me, you know, you both would get this. You would get heaps of different charities approach you to do things. But if the charity isn't for you doing it, that actually doesn't mean anything to you, and it doesn't mean anything to your fan base EI though, because it's like, well how does this align? But like this, yeah, this was super authentic to me and it's like I re shout to them. I still work with Minus eighteen. I've been working with them for the last like three years now, and I love everything that they do. Like I applied to be on their board recently because I was like, I want to do more. I loved you, and also I'm not looking at you because every time I look at you as that smiling I've been.
Speaker 1: Looking at and this whole time, I'm getting a lot of my eye contact over here. I'm not getting a bit jealous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't even notice. Well, speaking of Master Chef, you've been on there twice, do you reckon? You go on a third time to try and take that crowon?
Speaker 3: I think Australia's oversee me lose Master Shad. So I don't think I'm going to go on again again.
Speaker 1: Okay, can't. I am dying to hear all about your dating life a week. Are going to talk about that next?
Speaker 2: All right? I can't.
Speaker 4: So we find you're pretty private with your dating life. You don't give much up on social media. So what are you are you taking single in a situationship?
Speaker 2: What's the deal?
Speaker 3: I am? I'm single, Like I have my like guys that I constantly hang out with, but it's not like a friends with benefits seeing it's kind of like we might potentially get to that point, but we're just not. And like I run away a lot.
Speaker 4: I thought I met one of your special men when we went for that walk, remember like we walked that hill that double day.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he was for a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, got a boyfriend.
Speaker 3: But no, yeah, no, I was. I was kind of seeing him for a good year or so. Yeah, I don't really put like guys that I actually date or like see properly up on my Instagram. Like I was kind of in a relationship all three summer that people just didn't really know about. I don't know. I feel like I'm so public with everything else. Yeah, but like I'm really bad with commitment, Like I'm really bad with commitments. So like I feel as though if someone's actually on my Instagram and people know about them, that I have to be more committed.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, that is a launch. That is a hard launch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a hard launch. And I'm like, that's really not for me. Actually, Mattam and I did have a conversation about this, and it was all about like commitment things like that, and my train of thought is, I don't actually think monogamy is for me. I think I'm more open and a polygamous. I think that it's a kind of a little bit unnatural to be monogamous because is it only like two species in the world that are monogamous, and we're animals, So it's kind of like was this actually bred into us by like social pressures.
Speaker 2: Over time and like religions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this might not have been something that was natural for for for us as humans from the beginning of time, but it's something that's grown to become embedded into our psyche.
Speaker 4: We did want to touch on this because I remember, yeah, we had that conversation at my family easter about it, you mean, Jen.
Speaker 3: And at the family.
Speaker 2: That was my class.
Speaker 3: You didn't even come, your mom, like, you didn't come. I turned up before you. Your mom and I were messaging and then.
Speaker 2: I had lost my phone in the night before, so well.
Speaker 3: Who's oh that was your birthday? That was asleep on a park bench.
Speaker 4: I woke up without a phone and any idea what was going on. But yeah, we touched on the monogamy. Well, actually, Jenna, I had a conversation afterwards and I said, like, what's your opinion on it? And she said she was like, well, kinds like well, she actually answered right, She said, I don't want to sleep with any other guys but you.
Speaker 2: And because you know, normally people say.
Speaker 3: You would die if she set anything else, would be so brude like what.
Speaker 4: So I said, yeah, true, I don't want to sleep with any other women, but I still.
Speaker 3: Women, anyone else.
Speaker 4: Has the same opinion as I do that, like we find it uncomfortable to think of our partner sleeping with someone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I think that sex is a very different thing then an emotional relationship. So I think that maybe this is something that just happens for gaming because a lot of my friends. Yeah, kind of the same train of thought as me, where it's like I could have an emotional relationship with someone and be fine with them and sleeping with someone else. There's a lot of gay relationships that are open that kind of you either play together you play separately, but it's just more of like the consent from your partner that is important. It's not like a secretive thing. It's like, oh, I find him attractive, can I fuck him? Or do you want to fuck him together?
Speaker 4: I was yeah, because I know a lot of gay couples that actually are really open and like.
Speaker 3: Well to you definitely.
Speaker 2: Thrown out of I said, thank you, but no thank you, but.
Speaker 3: We know what you like. Matt.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a bit of.
Speaker 1: Sexual attension in here. I have to say, I'm feeling it a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm just calling it out.
Speaker 4: Can just give me so many compliments? I just get so flattered and get overwhelmed.
Speaker 3: Actually think we have a really nice relationship. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Well, you told me all you wanted was that, and then you wouldn't talked to me again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I said to him, like, you know, the day that you actually put out, I'm gonna be like, Okay, we're done.
Speaker 2: I cand just likes to chase.
Speaker 3: I think I actually do.
Speaker 4: So you put a story up on your Instagram a couple of months ago.
Speaker 3: What I was doing.
Speaker 2: Left impression on both Anna and myself. You drive past a billboard and it was of yourself and you know that your ex.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get calm to explain.
Speaker 3: So when I went on Survivor, this is a really lovely story. When I went on Survivor and I was doing my publicity shots, I was speaking to the publicist at ten and some execs at ten and jokingly said, I don't care if I get multiple billboards. I just need the one. And the one billboard that I need has to be on the corner of Nepeine Highway and South Road. The reason behind that is three of my ex boyfriends have to drive through that intersection every day to and from work. I love it as a joke. What happened, But seriously, what happened? I turned up driving through one day I was going I was going to like South Flane or something, and I was driving past it. I was like, that is me on that billboard and it literally just says it's just my head. It says King Khan. I'm amazing. Thank you who ever listened to me and did that, but that was incredible. I did. Two of them contacted me and that this was hilarious. I'm like, yeah, I'm talking about you.
Speaker 2: This is fir As far as petty go, that is unreal.
Speaker 3: It is petty, but it's like, oh, no, tongue in cheek.
Speaker 2: It's unreal. It's funny.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: What's your funniest dating story? Because I mean, I know that you love dating. You have lots of great dating adventures. Is there one that sticks out?
Speaker 3: So this guy asked me on a date probably three years ago now, and he's like, yeah, oh let's go here, blah blah blah. This time seven o'clock runs, turns around and we were swept about seven thirty. He's like, hey, I'm going to be about ten minutes. I'm like, no issues, I just won't turn up yet either. Then I was on my way there and he goes, sorry, I'm really sorry to do this. It's gonna be another fifteen I was like, okay, twenty five minutes the gross and I was I was like, all right, I'll have a martini. I'll just wait, and then he was like, I'm on my way. I'm looking for a park twenty minutes later. So at this point we're forty five minutes behind, right, and I was like, what the fuck, Like this is so annoying, but I'm also like two martinis deeps, I'm like happy, but like not like drunk. He turns up. He's obviously been to a festival because he is sloshed off your face, like he could not like string a sentence together. He was like pinging hard, and I was just watching him and he was just like yeah. So I'm like, oh my god, I cannot deal with this. So I literally was like, oh, so I've got to go into the restaurant. Because I thought we were gonna have done that at seven. It's like, no, like thirty nine o'clock, I'm gonna have to go into the restaurant. Like it's made an excuse me didn't have to go into work, but I was like I needed to run because I was like, who is late for like forty five minutes? Like and then turns up absolutely slashed. Post festival, I was like, what was the point of this? Like why did we organize it on this day? Why didn't we do yesterday or tomorrow? Yeah, but funny non date story about five years ago, I was hungover. Yeah, Snapchat was still a thing back then. So I was on Snapchat and like I had a new feature where you could be like send to group. I thought sent to group means like you can group all your favorite people and you send them and it all sends individually. So to make that like easier, so hungover, send a cheky photo feeling like what are you up to? Eight guys into one group message? There's me again? And then I go and you know what, I like, I freaked out, So I left the group.
Speaker 2: They want to be organized a fool.
Speaker 3: One of the guys text things like, lo, we're still talking about like the group seal like they're like we're talking in the group, We're trying to figure out who everyone is, like because I basically just went like the rotation was all there.
Speaker 2: Was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like a scrap of the block.
Speaker 3: Everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to know about the hardest breakup you've gone through.
Speaker 3: A's a guy that cheated on me and that was really shit. Okay, oh my god, this is so fun.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 4: Okay, So before you start, was it behind your back sneakily then?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, because because this is the part of the story. This is so fun. So I was like seeing this guy for like five ish months or so, and then one day we were like laying in bed. We went like it went monogamous or anything. And I was like in bed and we were like, hey, are you seeing anyone else? And I'm like yeah, and he's like I'm too. And then he's like yeah, do you want to not? And I was like okay, and he's like, so, like are we monogamous? And he was like I would like to be And I was like okay, cool, I'm I'm I'm cool with this because like, you're fun. I like you. It was super hot too, and I was just like, yeah, very you like all like the chiseled face, like yeah, he was yeah anyway, So I was like, yep, let's do this. No problems. I'm just gonna move forward in the story Tiney bed, but then I'll explain it all. He actually cheated on me the day after, but I found out because I was I then broke up with him pretty much like a month after that because I wasn't into it anymore. But we were monogamous for that month, okay, until I broke up with him. And then I was out one day talking to some maides and one of them was like, oh, yes, I slept with blah blah blah, and I was like, oh, my ex boyfriend. He's like yeah, yeah, and he's like yeah, it was just before Polo, and I was like, I was like, wait, just before Polo is in, like the day before Polo or like before that, and he goes, no, like just before Polo is in, like the day before Polo, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no.
Speaker 3: He asked me to be like you've been no monogamous with him two days before Polo and then like because so like there were like town time stands, and I was like so angry because I was like, wait, why did you ask me toous if we were going to continue doing what we were doing anyway, like you should we should have just not done that. That was the dumbest thing ever. So he ended up at the same bar we were out, and I was like, you you cheated on me with him, and he's like what. I'm like, you sat with him before Polo. Yeah, he goes yeah, And I was like, you sat with him before Polo and you asked me And then he's like yeah, but then you broke up with me later, I'm like, but good time. Yeah, you're cheered on me, Like that doesn't get a raise because I broke up with you, Like no, And it just got really animated about that.
Speaker 1: That's the problem with monogamy though. It's like if one person is saying they were want to be monogamous so that the other person isn't sleeping with other people, but they still want to do Like that's not fair and that's where the problem lies.
Speaker 2: So did you at the time, so like he just wanted his cake?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really yeah, Like I'm like, what was the point, Like literally, what was the point of that? And then he full on gas lip me and was like like we weren't really monogamous. I was like, you literally were in my bed and we had this conversation. I remember looking up at my boxes because I found it really awkward. So I looked up at these boxes and I counted my boxes. So I know this conversation happened because I literally have a vivid memory of it and what I was feeling at the time, So it definitely happened. And he's like, no, I didn't. I was like, and then I was insane because I was at this bard on me and then like I saw him, I think two months ago we were out. He's getting your boyfriend. I was like, I'm really happy for you, and he's like, I'm really sorry for like everything, and I was like, thank you. We're still not friends, Like yeah, like I'm not. We're not doing myths.
Speaker 1: Okay, We're going to do a bit of a change of pace if you don't mind us asking how did you first come out to your friends and family and what age were you?
Speaker 3: I came out twice. I came out when I was eleven, very early twelve, maybe year six to friends first and it was all fine. Then I went to Halarbary and disappeared for a bit and like went back in. I went to molwhen high I was still in the closet back in the closet because you know, we were just studying the parallel education thing when I was in year seven oft Hailabury. So for those who don't know, Hailarbury is a parallel education school where they have females and males and probably now all gender's in the middle there, but they are not in the same classes, so it's not a co ed class. So I didn't feel really comfortable. So I was like back in the closet. Then I came back to Haillbury and I came out again in like year ten or something like that. Yeah, when I came back to Halliburary was when I came out because I was like, yeah, we're done with this. Then I came out to Mum and I thought it was going to be the most difficult thing that I ever do. I was like literally shitting myself and I did it. She kind of like piss her off because this was like after Dad died, so I was like trying to piss her off, and so I came out to her and she goes, great, let's send you to Vietnam. I was like, yep, she's sending me to the detention. I cam or like something like a conversion therapy place she goes. Yeah, because the LGBTQ community is very big and Vietnam, let's make you famous and vi Nama. I was like, what the fuck is this? Like, like, why are you not angry at me? Why are you not upset? And why are you so supportive?
Speaker 2: Did you think she had like the old school sort of moral sort.
Speaker 3: Of yeah, real, Yeah, I thought that it was going to be like a very because like being gay at the time, like twelve thirteen years ago, because we're young in Vietnam or in Vinamu's culture wasn't really something that we were spoken about. So I just thought that, like, oh, this is going really hard. But Mama's like being the most supportive person ever. So I'm very lucky because that's not everyone's story. Yeah, I still was scared and then they But the funny thing is when you come out, you also don't fully come out because as queer people, we have like this self that we kind of put on for people that we think is appropriate for the community, and then we have our real self that we are with people of the community. So that was kind of me for the first few years where I was like, yeah, be gay, but don't be so gay that it is like an issue for anyone. And then when I went on Master Chef the first time, towards the middle of it was when I was like, nah, fuck everyone, like this is who I am, this is what I do, and I didn't care anymore. And that was because of the reception from the Australian people, like the people that were watching, and they were like so supportive of me. They were so kind to me. The judges were then so kind to me, so like at the beginning, I was like dulling them down my personality, like changing the way that I spoke. I was very rigid, and about halfway through I was like speaking with my hands and being like this dish is about blah blah blah blah blah. I think I called one of my dishes that want to challenge my drunken sticky date. And then and then that was like why is it called a drunk and sticky that. I'm like, that's how all days should end. And this was like unational to They cut that part, but I was like, yeah, but they still call it my drunken sticky day. And it was a sticky date pudding with like a whiskey caramel and like a cinema ice cream, so it's like it's drunk because there's whiskey on it, and there's a sticky date because they get stick day pudding. But it's like it's my drunken sticky day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah too.
Speaker 4: Any of our listeners that are listening and they're still in the closet and they're worried about coming out to their friends and family, do you have any advice for them?
Speaker 3: And it's gonna be the best thing that you ever do, because anyone that you think may not be supportive of you shouldn't be in your life. Really. Anyone that has those pressures put on them, like or that are putting that pressure on other people like you shouldn't really be in contact with those people. So if you come out and it's received badly, it might be scary, but you'll find your people, the people that will support you, the people that are your people, the people that will embrace you and celebrate you, and you will never be happier because it's really hard to hide your authentic self to other people happy. So you really should not have to do that. There's great, great people that can help you speak to minus eighteen minus eighteen are a great resource. The queer centers in Kilda, like literally a great place to speak to you. I know sometimes it's hard because you don't want to reach out, but I found it. When you surround yourself with people that are like you, you become more confident and you can become happier. And a lot of the time what we think will happen is the worst case scenario that isn't going to happen. Sometimes it does and that's scary, but most of the times it won't.
Speaker 2: Is what happened with your mum. Yeah, very perceptive to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Con It's been so amazing having you in the studio today. I've learned so much about you, which is crazy because I've known you for so long. Yeah, thank you for opening up and sharing all of your amazing stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been great having you.
Speaker 4: And we finally organized it. I finally replied to you, or you finally replied to me. Let's not get into it, I know.
Speaker 1: And we're honestly really excited for everything that's in store for you. We'll be keeping an eye out and thanks again.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Love you, guys, I love you.
Speaker 2: Too bro,