Speaker 1: Peter Krandlin live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Kredline. The debate over multiculturalism, spurred on by Pauline Hansen, ramped up again today. Former Liberal premier the latest to call out the One Nation leader. We joined later by Tony Abbott. He says multiculturalism has it failed, So he'll be interesting as always. We're forecast into the ALP national conference. It kicks off later this week. It's got some crazy policies being pushed by the left and of course if they make it into the official platform document, every MP is bound by it. Plus the latest polling showing that while our politicians continue to flog net zero, Australians don't want a bar of it. I'll get into that a bit later on and back from overseas today, paul and Hanson in a fiery exchange as the media continues to misconstrue her comments on the white Australia policy.
Speaker 3: Not not not smart, but it's got nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, We're going to stay with this issue because let's talk about politics and the media, because something is happening in this country that deserves to be called out.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Last month it was ten years since I started here at Sky News, and a decade two of me writing a column each weekend in the Sunday Papers. So these comments come from someone who's now worked at the point of end of both media and national politics. As you know, I don't call myself a journalist, and I correct anyone that does. If anything, I'm a lawyer by training and a political strategist by profession. Here on Sky News, I host an opinion program and that's what you get every night of the week, my opinion and the opinion of my guests on all all the big issues facing our country. But that's an honesty you don't always get from others, do you, from the media types who like to masquerade as straight back journalist, when in fact it's opinion dressed up as straight talk, and it's about as biased as you get now, As you know, it's what they say that's a concern, but just as relevant, it's also what they don't say, what they leave out, the questions they're not prepared to ask. The politicians they go easy on, like this tripe from Green's bother a Girl Sarah Hansen Young.
Speaker 4: They get nasty, they divide and they set people up against each other.
Speaker 2: I saw that, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: I wished I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 2: One of those things you think images you don't want in your ed, and look these are the pictures she was snidely referring to. Now do we read that nastiness as some sort of commentary on the appearance of missus Ryan Hart or the fact that Pauline Hanson was in Sicily on a break? Hard to know because not one journalist in the camera press pack was willing to take her on with a follow up question. Not one See what I mean? That's not unbiased reporting, is it? Nor is this headlines today that Barnaby Joys lost his call, lost his temper last night on the ABC. It was even the lead story on morning talkback radio and Melbourne when I switched it on at six o'clock. And here's what calls the latest bouts of One Nation outrage.
Speaker 6: Are you really comfortable with where she is taking you?
Speaker 7: I's the sound.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's a dog jize for this dog which has decided to bail up.
Speaker 6: No worry about the dog, Just answer the question.
Speaker 8: Don't be rude don't be rude, otherwise this interview will come to a grinding Sarah.
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, you wouldn't have want to hear my dad in the paddock sit down your mongrel. That's about the best of what he said that I can put to ear. Sit down your mongrel to working dogs. In the real world, a working dog cops a terse command. It's not a lap dog, and everybody knows it. It is this obsession with one nation by so many in the media design they think to kill off Pauline Hanson's rise, that is in fact only helping to kick it along. Because understand this, the modern world we live in is information rich. Almost every person's got a device with them all day, every day twenty four seven, and they're flooded as a result with news and video. What gets through to them on politics is for the most part little more than an impression. And so when Hanson's in the news, good or bad, her name and her brand cuts through. Trying to drag her down is actually doing the opposite. It's building her up. It's putting her on the same platform as the other two major party leaders. Case in point today, when she landed back into the country from her break, Paulin Hansen fronted a summit in WA and gave a very solid speech in Perth, followed by a wide ranging Q and a on stage with the editor of The West Australian, Chris Dauer. Few of the questions were easy. Almost all of her answers were blunt and straight to the point. And what was clear is that she had the room in the palm of her hand.
Speaker 6: It was not me advocating the wide Australian policy. I was telling him when it changed. So I've never advocated thank.
Speaker 3: You nor It's not no, it's not no. It's got nothing to do with that.
Speaker 6: Do you tell me one of the Greens that you want to spend time with.
Speaker 3: I'm very strong on certain countries. You've got to say no. And I got it.
Speaker 2: Look, yes it was w A and yes she was defending the hometown girl in Gena Reinhart. But in highlighting Missus ryan Hart's years and years of philanthropy, she exposed precisely why attacks on her to get to Hanson a counterproductive.
Speaker 8: The other topic I have to touch on is Gena ryan Hart, that Italian.
Speaker 6: She's wonderful Western Australian isn't she Yeah, I and so too.
Speaker 9: Gee.
Speaker 6: She does a lot of good for this steak. I'mucky to have her in all those taxes and royalties and jobs that she provides.
Speaker 3: Estate.
Speaker 8: Why do you think opponents do get so agitated about your friendship and relationship with missus Hina? What do you think drives that well?
Speaker 6: I wish that question Albanize's friendship with Pratt and Twiggy Forest and no one else gets a questioned like I do.
Speaker 2: My God, I'm all for a strong and independent media. I'm all for the fourth Estate speaking truth to power. After all, I work here at a network where every single night I get to say what I think. No one gives me any instruction about what should or shouldn't be the official line. What you get from me comes from me. I own it as opinion, and that's why so many of you I know watch this channel. I will never forget that reaction a few years back, in the worst of the Melbourne lockdowns, when I fronted up to one of the daily press conferences from Dan Andrews Press Conference number ninety nine, I think it was, and I turned up as much in frustration as anything else. Sick to death, watching his hour long daily lectures, followed by another hour at least of syncophantic questions from journalists. A few of them were brave enough to ever taking him on, other than perhaps Rachel Baxendale at The Australian and Sir Maya allenby then at the Age. When I walked into the room that day and I had to fight to get in there, believe me, a very well known journalist from the ABC sidled up to me demanded to know why I was there and if I was going to say. He said, if you stay, you have to wait until the end to ask any questions. So I did, and when I finished my questioning that day or another day, I can't remember, he then asked the Premier if he was now going to allow any Tom Dick or Harry into the room in the future. You see, the media is a club for so many of them. It's a case of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. You leaked to me and I'll protect you. I'll keep your secrets. I'll give you another example. One day in Canberra, midway through a long cabinet meeting, we had just finished a fairly contentious agenda item when I got up to leave the room and to make a phone call. Now, as I walked outside the cabinet room, I spoke to one of the attendants, and I saw a well known journalist's name flash up on a minister's phone in front of me on the attendant's desk. I know exactly whose phone that was, because when cabinet ministers left their phones outside the cabinet room at the attendant's desk, they all had a label on them with their name attached to the mobile phone. Now, as I moved away to make my call, I watched that very same MP who owned that phone exit the cabinet room, collect their phone and head off to the toilet. When they got back, they lodged their phone with the attendant and walked back into the cabinet room. As I did. Not less than thirty minutes later, I was handed a note that read I've just had a call from the City Morning Herald and apparently X and Y's just being decided in cabinet. How on earth do they have this leak already given them meeting is still underway, That is what the note from our press secretary said to me. Well, I'll tell you why because the journalist's name on that phone was the same name as the one on the note from our head of media, and the MP who took their phone to the toilet gave that information to them, and I know that was true because no other person had left the cabinet room. Now, that's this sort of stuff that's killing good government and your trust, voter trust with the mainstream media. It's why what we do here in matters because we call it as we see it, and you know my politics, for instance, it's not hidden. And I'm just as tough on my own side. We're warranted as I am on the left. John Howard beat Hanson by doing two things last time. The first, he barely mentioned a name the fight, he said, was it with her or her supporters. It was with labor. And secondly, he filled the policy vacuum. Every single day he was out there with solutions to problems. He defined the contest. He played to the coalition's strengths. Two sound lessons the liberals must learn now. And as for the hands and haters and the media, be warned. The more you demonize one nation and the woman herself, the stronger you're going to make her. But keep doing what you're doing. As the polls show, it's now starting to drag down Labour's vote while you're at it. And as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the Alberenezer government is exposed for what it is and the damage they are doing to our country and its future, the better. All right, Let's go to Cambern now for the headlines with our Sky News reporter cam Reddin.
Speaker 10: Back on Australian soil. Pauline Hanson trades seapack in London for Crown Perth.
Speaker 3: It is a slightly bigger crowd than what I had in England.
Speaker 10: Defending her podcast appearance with far right nationalist Tommy Robinson.
Speaker 3: Australians are sick of politicians who only ever talk to people who already agree with.
Speaker 10: Them, saying she wants to listen to everyone.
Speaker 3: This country isn't broken, it's been held back. Bring me your problems and bring me your ideas.
Speaker 10: But her idea of an Australian monoculture is a political lightning rod.
Speaker 1: We are stuck in this groundhole day loop. She stands up, she says something extreme, then we're asked to react. Then she has to come in and explain herself.
Speaker 6: I'm not extreme. People might say that about me, but I tend to say what people say so to me. But you're only saying what we're thinking. But I've got the gups to get out there and say it.
Speaker 10: That has long been Senator Hanson's defense of her views and proposals like the one to block migrants coming from what she calls radical Islamic countries.
Speaker 8: In a way, though, that is a version of a white Australian policy, is it?
Speaker 6: No, it's not. No, it's not. So don't go there with me. I'll tell you what because I won't stand for it.
Speaker 10: One nation has a single federal senator in the West, but wants to grow its presence. Jim Owner Luke Herdigan is the party's candidate for the state by election of Secret Harbor, facing questions for the first time about his past behavior.
Speaker 11: So do you think of public.
Speaker 4: Care if you've filled yourself speeding where you've admitted doing in the case, do you think the public care about that?
Speaker 12: I don't think I did film myself speeding, But you know, the public will get to make that decision and that's up to the people.
Speaker 9: Just asked.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 6: Did you get pulled up and get a speeding ticket?
Speaker 3: I had before been pulled up and this video clip.
Speaker 6: No oh okay, so no problem.
Speaker 10: Cameron Reddin's Sky News Canberra.
Speaker 2: Los to get into tonight. It's been revealed too from questions I notice out of the recent round of Senate estimates the shared number of federal public servants who are working from home. Almost fifty percent of the thirty three thousand staff within Services Australia have it approved working from home arrangement are somehow roughly forty two percent of staff in service delivery roles. So these are a customer facing it to sue do so working from home for part of the week. And what's particularly galling is that it's very few of the junior or lower paid employees, those earning seventy thousand or under, who are working from home Instead, it's a lot of the big earners fifteen one hundred plus public servants earning around one hundred and sixty eight thousand dollars, so three times the median Australian salary. Well, they're earning that money working from home three or more days a week. Joining me now. Sky's Political editor Andrew Clanell and a fair journalist, I'll give you that. You can claim that Mantle Andrew, you are tough on both sides and you call it pretty straight and even if they don't like it, I'll get into Labour's national conference in a moment. But those stats, those working from home stats, I just can't fathom how you do your job as a federal public servant in that sort of role, in a customer facing role, if you're working from home.
Speaker 12: Well, of course a lot of these people are two or three days as you say, not the five days working from home, But if you would expect if it's service delivery as you say, you'd have to be in the office of facing people the entire time. So there needs to be a bigger drill down on that. But I can't see a politician taking it on after Jane him at the last election when it was extrapolated to be a kind of a policy that would affect everyone, Labor really weaponized that. So it's going to be a tough one for it lives to ever take on again. I think unless they're in government then then you can sort of approach these things.
Speaker 2: You know. It was interesting when I was in the UK. They were telling me that ninety percent of people are back at work in the UK, and I mean they obviously suffered the lockdowns that we did around the country. And in the Victorian state election, Jacinta Allen has legislated the right to work from home not just for public servants but for private sector employee, so she's likely to have polling it says this is a vote even if it's making employers basically take their businesses out of Victoria.
Speaker 12: If you give people anything on the ir front, history shows it's very difficult to break it back. Interesting for the Pomps though they've got terrible train services and the like. They're all struggling through that. You know, I mean a lot of capital cities of Australia, it's a lot easier to get to work than England.
Speaker 2: Let's go to that poll from Newgate Today the mood of the Nation and dropped into Australia the TSAVO. It reads as a tale of woe. Almost seventy percent of Australians feel the country is headed in the wrong direction. Six in ten believe immigrations way too high. Of course, that bodes well for one nation. Also telling two Labour's only one point ahead of one nation when it comes to cost of living and that's still buying away the number one issue for people, isn't it.
Speaker 12: What a shocking figure for the Coalition. I mean, I know it's really really bad for labor as well, Peter, don't get me wrong, But Angus Taylor, he's on about cost of living, he's on about immigration every day. Why can't he get a lift out of this? Why was he getting cleaned up by Pauline every day? I mean, she's the one leading the seven and nine news is every single every second night. She's the one who's really got that rock star feel and that's what Angus Taylor's really battling against. He can't get his message out. He's got the policies that address that polling, and no one's listening to it. That's the problem he's got at the moment. I mean, even you know a lot at the start of the show, you've spoken about Pauline, but we all are I did on my show, you know the six pm news does She's the one providing the headlines and the news, And yeah, maybe some of it is skeptcitical, maybe some of it is here and James Ashby, you know, saying we can come out and make some Outlandis statements and we'll get more and more publicity and drum it up, get her front and center. It's working. The only way that vote's going to be reduced is when people out there, including people watching this show, some of her email me and say, give one nation a go because they're different, realize that she's a politician, just like Anthony Albanezi and Angus Taylor, are nothing more and nothing less to be held to the same standards and if ever in government, to have the same issues to grapple with, which are a lot simpler than a bunch of slogans to deal with. So like that that, let me jump in it is where things need to come to. Otherwise she is going to get thirty percent at the federal election. If people take a view that she's somehow above politics, then she's going to go.
Speaker 2: Really let me jump in there, because that was the whole point of my editorial. Those on the left, the Abcing and others the Guardian, they go after her thinking that somehow they can halt her rise. I argue they don't. They actually just kick her in to better and better numbers a lot of the commercial networks. You know, they're always going to run the government. It's got the biggest megaphone, and they run a counter to the government. So the counter for the government is usually one individual. Traditionally, obviously it's been the opposition, but that's now double headed. It's either Angus Taylor or Pauline Hanson. And when the editors are sitting down at night, and you know what it's like, they're putting together the packages, they're looking for color and movement. There's a lot more color and movement. Even if Angus is saying all the right things, if he's doing everything that every other opposition leader's done in the past, there's more color and movement on the one nation side of things, and people are tuning in, so they put one nation in the package. It happens here, it happens everywhere.
Speaker 12: Five minute ratings at Channel nine and seven they're saying, if we do a political story. I used to see the State political reported down Channel nine at State Parliament Macquarie Street ten years ago. I said, mate, why are you doing stories every night on power bills or speed cameras? He said, because it rates? You know, the data is so good that they basically figure it out that way. So they are obviously seeing that a story on one nation rates just like the news website see that they get clicks, and Angus Taylor just needs to find a way to write. It's as simple as that, because if he doesn't, he's dead meat, and so it's potentially delivery party.
Speaker 2: He's working like I look at the effort. I look at what he's doing on what he's posting. I look at where he's going, and he's saying everything that he should be saying. The problem is the cut through. You're right, the cut threw is not there. I just want to quickly get to the ALP national Conference. It kicks off this Thursday. I know you'll be there. We'll watch it closely. It's the fiftieth Labor conference, three thousand attendees there in the room. We know, of course the platform's binding, the final platform on all labor MPs. One of the most contentious issues is pushed by the left and former Cabinet Minister d Husick and other's opposed by former Resources Minister. I should say here, Labor member now Ferguson, there is a push for attacks on gas. The PM says, I've ruled that out, but he's ruled out a lot before, hasn't he. What do you think is going to happen here?
Speaker 12: Well, I don't think it's going to happen. I don't think it's going to happen. But I think that if there's an area in the conference debate where we'll get a bit of biffo, which we always look for as observers and journalists, this will be the area. This and maybe a bit artificial intelligence and maybe a bit of Israel, but this is the one because you've got Hughesy to the fallen former cabinet minister there drumming it up, and several other unions and you know he was sitting with the AWU and they were drumming it up yesterday. The position of the government is very much in the current environment, when you know we're struggling for gas supply, This isn't the time and it makes a lot of sense. And al Beneezy was quite cranky when asked about this on Saturday at a press conference after an Australian Financial Review story which suggested the draft platform, which talked about a bigger share from resources company's mentor gas TACs. He said, the fin review has taken two and two in mad eighty seven, so you could see how cross he was at the story. So as far as his concerned, and let's face it, he has pretty tight control over these things as we saw in Brisbane three years ago. There might be a crack at this, but it's not going to get up and you know he's got the numbers. But it will cause a bit of noise and it will lead I suspect to people like Jim Chalmers down the trail advocating for it again within government. But no, it'll probably get defeated. That's really how much noise it generates and how much more it pushes along that debate the government has Albanezi has no intention of introducing any such thing at the moment.
Speaker 2: All right, well leave it there, thank you. Let's going out of the Northern Territory. Because following the alleged murder of five year old Alice Springs girl Sharon Sweeping, reforms have been recommended for the territory's child protection system. Joining me now to discuss what's been recommended is our Northern Australia correspondent Matt Cunningham.
Speaker 10: Matt that the.
Speaker 2: Reviews in there are proposed changes. What's on the table.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this draft review, unsurprisingly Peter has found that the Child pertend Action Department failed to act in a timely manner an effective manner in response to the warnings that they'd been given about this little girl in Alice Springs. We know there'd been about six child protection notifications made before the little girl was allegedly abducted and murdered in April this year. So the former New South Wales Police Commissioner Karen Webbin Greg Shanahan, a former public servant, conducted this review. I've got to say that what I read today, both the review itself, the findings and the recommendations feel a little bit like a sense of deja vus. You're talking about a child protection system that failed to act in a timely manner, and then we're talking about recommendations around staffing levels, around different departments communicating better with one another. We've seen a lot of this before. In fact, there were very similar findings and recommendations made following the twenty eighteen rape of a two year old girl in Tenant Creek that was investigated by Colin Gwynn. The Children's Commissioner. And if you go right back to twenty ten when Howard Bath conducted the Bath Inquiry into child protection issues, it was the same issues back then. So I did ask the Child Protection Minister Rob and Carl today why the response to this is going to be any.
Speaker 2: Different because I'm making the changes. If you go back over twenty years ago, there was a headline in The Australian that said culture of denial and was around a case where a fifty five year old had raped repeatedly a thirteen year old because and said that that was okay because she was his promised wife. This is a situation that is endemic. This is a problem that we are living with every day in the territory. And it's going to be different because I am going to hold the department to account. Yeah, it's not a question of money, mate, You and I know there are literally billions of dollars spent in Aboriginal communities and Aboriginal services around the country. We have a failure of leadership and a failure frankly courage from those we elect to see it through and the implementation. In particular, I've been watching Robin Calee, you know her better than I do. But she sounds like she means business. Give me your assessment.
Speaker 11: I think that's a good assessment. She has been absolutely to the point on this issue. She has held her ground. She has been subjected in the past two months to an absolute barrage of criticism. A lot of it has been misguided and a lot of it has been ill informed. She has been working on these reforms and they will pass the Parliament in the Northern Territory tonight, reforms to the Child Protection Act for more than twelve months now. There has been a great deal of publicity following the shocking death of Kumunjai, little baby in Alice Springs, and the reforms were introduced to parliament after that, but they've been a long time in the making. What prompted her to do this was talking to foster care as in the Northern Territory and we heard evidence from them at a Scrutiny Hearing Committee just a few weeks ago, who were saying publicly that there were situations where there were children who were in stable foster homes where they had been for five or more years, and they were being removed from those homes and being taken and sent back to communities and put in situations where they knew that there was a risk. Authorities knew that there was a serious risk to these children that they could again be abused and neglected, and that was happening anyway. Now. You and I know about this because we've spoken about it many times. But to hear that evidence given in a public committee and at that hearing, I thought was a watershed moment. And the Minister has been clear that she's not going to ignore this problem anymore. She has faced a barrage of criticism as a consequence. In fact, just today we've seen the Federal Minister Tanya Plibisek, as well as child protection ministers from every state and territory in the country except for Queensland, sign a statement having a go at the Northern Territory government about the changes that they are making. And remember, the change they're making is to say that the safety of the child has to be the absolute, first, foremost and paramount consideration when it comes to any of these issues. Now, I think it's pretty remarkable that people, so many people are arguing so vehemently against this. I put it to the Minister today, what was happening with Minister POLITIICC and her state counterparts and what they were saying about these issues. Here's what she had to say in response.
Speaker 2: What other jurisdictions do and what they think is right for their jurisdiction is entirely up to them. I will make the observation they're not one of those people reached out to me to have a discussion about why we were taking the approach. We were not one of the masked. Why we felt that it was so important to put safety first, and to be honest with you, that they don't think that that's important is something that I truly find incomprehensible. Yeah, good on a Good on her, and good on you. Matt. Stay across his issue and know that our viewers are very much interested in it. They want that they want protection for these kids. Thank you mate, or remark the break a former premier Declaire's concerns about immigration and nothing more than Grieven's politics. This is a liberal now attacking his own. Others like Tony Abbotts say well, multiculturalism's failed, China's ramping up of its military and espionage activity as well. But people on the left, they don't think they are. Tony Abbot up next, welcome back. We're going to have a close look at just how much Australians are willing to pay in the push towards net zero. Spoiler a lot, It's not much. We'll get that at the moment. But now to new polling which shows record pessimism amongst Australians. Sixty eight percent of us believing the country is headed in the wrong direction, sixty two percent saying immigration is way too high. It also shows one Nation overtaking the Coalition as the second most trusted party on cost of living issues. Here to discuss this and plenty more, former Prime Minister and now President of the Liberal Party, Federally Tiny Abbott, I want to ask you about that polling because you can feel division in the community. We can see that in the published polls, but you can also feel and it's not just nostalgia, because you're getting it from younger Australians too. They're worried about our future. They're worried that the adults are not in charge, or they're not focused on the things that really matter to them, and they're worried when they look around the world that we're squandering our luck is that fair.
Speaker 7: Look, it is the last chapter of my book I called drifting backwards, because I do think we had twenty five years of good government under John Howard and Bob Hawk, and frankly, we've had a pretty dismal time since then, in part because of the revolving door prime ministership and then because of a government which is actually undermining our economic, our social, and our strategic strength. So look, I can understand why people are feeling pessimistic and despondent. The question is what is the best way forward? And I believe in the marrow of my bones that by far the best alternative government is, in fact, a liberal national coalition.
Speaker 2: I made the point at the top of the show, and you were there, obviously in the Howard government that John Howard did two things. When Hanson, when nature was starting to take away votes from the coalition, he didn't go after her or her supporters. I mean others might have, he did not as leader. But he also filled the policy vacuum. He was out there every day. He was defining the contest. He had solutions to problems. Now, fair enough, Angus is out there every day, I'll give him that, But where are the policies time, Where is the meat on the bones? Give it's not there with.
Speaker 7: One Give him a chance. Peter, he's only been there four months and it took John Howard the best part of a term to get on top of this issue. And it was really only with the release of the tax reform package in the lead up to the nineteen ninety eight election that the matter was finally put to bed. Problems that are a decade in the making and are not going to be overcome overnight. But Angus Taylor has made a very good start. The more people hear from Angus, the more they like him. And I am confident that in coming days, not in weeks or months, but in coming days, there'll be a lot more meat put on the policy.
Speaker 2: Barnes, Yeah, I say that the rock isn't just a Susan Lee or a Peter Dutton problem. It isn't just Scott Morrison losing the election. It goes back to when you were thrown out of office and a lot of Liberals said, you know, we've just become labor light. We've made ourselves as bad as labor.
Speaker 7: For far too long, there was a conviction deficit and there was a competence deficit, but that's now changed. Watch this space when Angus knows exactly what needs to be done. We've got to scrap the toxic taxes. We've got to end net zero, we've got to end mass migration. We've got to put Australia first. And as I said, there are a lot more announcements in the pipeline that will make it crystal clear who the best hope for better government in this country is.
Speaker 2: They've gone after paul En Hanson on her comments in relads to my own culture. She's not saying to shut the door to immigration. She's not saying bring back white Australia, despite the attempts of some in the mainstream media. She's arguing that unless we unite under a singular culture, we're just a whole bunch of tribes now. Jeffrey Blaney wrote that what's thirty forty years ago. I know that that's a sentiment I share, and I know you have said as much inter of multiculturalism you say has failed.
Speaker 7: A couple of points. Peter, First, this country has a wonderful culture. It's the core Anglo Celtic culture and it's the foundational Judeo Christian ethos. That's what attracts migrants to this country, and we do them no favors, let alone ourselves if we suddenly change our culture supposedly in order to please migrants. Now, there's no doubt that multiculturalism as practice in recent years has failed, and the chief symptom of that was the Bondai massacre. Now it wasn't just the two shooters plainly had not in any way assimilated Australian values. But it's the fact that in response to the Bondai massacre we had a whole lot of so called Muslim leaders coming out not to insist that this had this was so against Islam, but in fact to criticize us and warn us about the supposed dangers of Islamophobia. Well, frankly, frankly, when people are being killed in the name of Islam, there is a problem with Islam, at least as practiced by some, and we've got to be upfront and honest about that, and we've got to deal with it appropriately.
Speaker 2: Are you concerned that yesterday in Melbourne we had a magistrate release another woman connected to isis Islamic State Bride they call themselves. I know that you know it's a lot more than that, but these individuals, we were a number of them facing serious charges out in the community on bail. I spoke to a former Scotland yard detective in the UK who says, we don't let them come back to our country.
Speaker 7: And too many people in out of misguided politeness, seem to think that you cannot call out Islamism and you cannot call out Islamists.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: The truth is everyone in Australia, to use a phrase I've used a lot, has got to join Team Australia and there are too many people right now who are simply living in Hotel Australia and taking advantage of the facilities. Now, a self respecting country is proud of its history, proud of its culture, is proud of its values, and we have to be the self respecting country that our record until very recently entitles.
Speaker 3: Us to be.
Speaker 2: You criticize as quickly some changes to the ac the naming of seats federally federal electorates and Julian Hill, who was a labor at MP, have this to say about you. Let's listen.
Speaker 11: Tony ib could going at a psychologist and reflect on why you get so obsessed about indigenous issues.
Speaker 2: Well, I know you'll go to arnham Land next week to spend a week in an Aboriginal community. And I wonder when the last time Julian Hill got out of the Melbourne in the city suburbs. Why is that important to you?
Speaker 7: Look, I've always thought that the Aboriginal people of Australia should be taken seriously by government and that was why as Prime Minister I was absolutely unique in spending a week a year in Indigenous communities, remote Indigenous communities. So it wasn't just book stuff, it wasn't just briefing stuff. It was the real life of Indigenous people that you were trying to experience and hopefully improve. I did it after leaving High Office and there's been a bit of an interruption because of the pandemic, because of the voice etc. But it starts again next week.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I might prevail upon you to touch base with you in arnham Land.
Speaker 7: Thanks better, Thanks Tony.
Speaker 2: All right, quick break after the break. The latest polling pays a very different picture about your views on net zero and Chris Bowen's.
Speaker 6: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Some interesting data labours, migration appeal systems, buckling under pressure, and it explains why it's so much harder than it should be to deport people who shouldn't stay in Australia. Get to that at a moment, but now into later's polling that's exposed to growing disconnects between the Albanezi government's net zero ambitions, push, its bludgeting, and what everyday Australians are actually prepared to pay for, with more than half the country saying they wouldn't pay a cent extra for their power bill in the push to go green. The survey by Affordable Energy Australia is also found that fewer than three in tenabus actually trust the CSIRO to accurately estimate the cost. All this on the back of the CSIRO's own report which found the push towards renewables will hit Australians harder than ever in the hip pocket. Here to tell us more about the findings, Affordable Energy Australians spokeswoman Zoe Hilton, so welcome to the program. What's interesting here, and this has been pointed out that the latest findings that the gen cost report in it, the CSIRO made no mention of what's a really clear trend is that decreasing emissions means our electricity costs are increasing and increasing, So what does that tell you?
Speaker 9: So what that tells me is that the CSIRO have put ideology before Australians actually having affordable energy. I mean, it's just ridiculous because what they've done is in the report you can clearly see that the NETSERU scenarios that are stronger have higher costs than the scenarios that have weak NEETZE or no progress to netzerea as they call it. But in their meteor release, what do they say, Well, they say renewable energy storage is the lowest cost pathway to get to net zero. They don't make any mention of the fact that net zero is actually going to put costs up. And so what we're seeing here is the CSIRO is taking government targets, government policies as a given. They're using that is their endpoint, not affordable energy for Australians as their endpoint, and then they're working backwards and telling the government what the government wants to hear. They are not upholding their responsibility to Australian citizens to give us objective, technology neutral cost analysis that we can actually rely on. So it's no wonder that trust in the CSIRO has been eroding so significantly.
Speaker 2: As I said at at the top, they're in your polling, just over half of us say not one cent more will we pay in order to go green? Seventy three percent of people so to three quarters of Australians in the poling say fifty dollars is the max. That's all I will go for and unrenewable alternative nothing more. Was basically you know, Pussy's bio in terms of what we can afford as Australians. Around the world, I think there's similar views about net zero, and I've just come back from Europe where they're basically dropping it. They're running hard into nuclear I know, for data and other things. But in Australia, I feel like we've, at least federally, we've drunk the kool aid and we're going harder and faster down this path than anyone else exactly.
Speaker 9: I mean, governments across Australia have been pushing at zero for so long, and they've been promising people this will make your bills cheaper. They have been promising that whether dependent renewables will bring bills down, and they have relied on the CSIRO for seven years. Because the CSRO has said this seven years straight, the renewables is the cheapest form of energy. They've relied on them again and again and again. And what has happened. We've had bill increase after bill increase. They are not delivering cheaper bills for Australians, and Australians are sick and tired of it. And that is why I launched Affordable Australia because Australians need a voice. They need someone to say we need affordability first out energy system. We don't want ideology, we want economics, we want engineering, and we want our institutions to do what they are supposed to do and to give us the cheapest energy system possible.
Speaker 2: As smart as a whip. Zoe, keep it up because we need voices like you to demolish as some of the BS arguments out there. Thank you for joining me. I'll also mentioned too, there was a poll in Victoria. Most Victorians oppose Labour's gas phase out. Almost sixty percent say they reject the ban on gas connections. Seventy one percent say they want consumer choice right quick break. Zoe's got a petition too. I think we've got the details up on screen. If not, I'll bring them to you when I come back join her petition after the break. I've got a terrific panel for you. All the noise out of Fiji from the climate bureaucrats, my panels coming up. Well, I told you it was a cracker panel. Let's bring them in. Shuston nine panel Sky News contributor lucy's Zek and One Nation National executive member Lee Hanson. Well, welcome, ladies. I could call both of you that. I don't mind the term myself either. Let's go to the rebelling lawyers today. Upset about reforms to the Administrative Repeal Tribunal. Very upset that labour's pushing on and making changes here. When I read the story, Lee, what worried me most Not so much about the changes. I think most of them are efficiency changes, but that seventy five percent of the lodgments in the tribunal migration appeals, that's up from sixty percent last year. I think this is crazy.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely crazy. Pter spot on, And let's be really clear the labor rushing these changes through because it is the mess that labor created, and what they're trying to do is changed to adminis straight process of the tribunal rather than addressing the Migration Act itself. And a big portion of the issue here that's happening is what we call international students who are coursehoppers, if we put it really simply, So we've got a large volume of international students that are coming into Australia. They then change their mind and drop out of their course and seek a bridging visa. Now that bridging visa could take on average two hundred days to be processed. If that's then not approved, they go to the tribunal for a dispute and that can take on average of sixty four weeks. Now, in the last two years alone, the amount of applications have increased from two thousand to fifty thousand. Now this is a flaw in the Migration Act. So labor do need to clean up their mess, but they need to address the Migration Act, which is the real issue here. And this is what one nation has been pushing and this is what we would address.
Speaker 2: And they are just buying time. We know what the tactic is here. Absolutely, let's go to the ALP national conference. It starts on Thursday. I'm mentioned at the top of the show the Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union, the AMWU, well it wants to change the flag. They say our flag and the union jack component in specific specificity is a symbol of oppression and colonialism. We also know, Lucy, that labor want to enshrine welcomes to Country. That'll also be on for the bait. Of course, the labor platform is binding if it gets up on every labor member.
Speaker 5: I find it fascinating that they just have not been able to read the room peter on all of this, because when you look at and stretch your mind back to how the country voted when it came to the Voice referendum, to just now the feedback that people are openly giving about welcomes to Country, and many of them within the indigenous original communities themselves who were saying that they too believe that this is gone too far and that it's lost its meaning. Is there a place for them, sure, absolutely, But this consistent ramming down our throats, it's not serving not just the Indigenous communities but also Australians who had a duffle of it with respect to this push to change the Australian flag. It is such an embarrassment. I think we have to give this level of contempt that they are showing for the Australian flag, because there's nothing wrong with being proud about the country that you are from. I'm the first generation Australia. My parents came here in nineteenth sixty eight Croatia. This is their home, this is the place that they love. They show more gratitude and affection for this country that than those who have been born and raised here.
Speaker 2: And it is a flying shame, beautifully said I got to ask Leae about Barnaby and a dog last night. I'm not going to play the grab again. I made the point though at the top of the show, and I come from a country area my day would have said sit down, your mongrel. And now everyone in country Australia is looking at that grab of Barnaby and the dog, laughing at the ABC, laughing at the outrage machine. If you live in the city where you think what Barnaby did is a war crime, I mean, this is extraordinary stuff.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: It is extraordinary, and it just keeps piling on right the agenda, the biased mainstream media. But what surprises me so much is you know, it's well which is great on a good hand, Peter, because all it does is people see through this, right, and it's just cementing on the support for one nation and your spot on the bush versus the city, and the reaction to this and the media and these constance attacks. Everybody is seen through it. Everybody has had it, had enough because it shows the incompetence, the incompetence of the mainstream media as well as the politicians, the major parties who are deflecting. Why are they not, folksocused on the real issues that are tackling Australians right now, cost of living, net zero, energy price, it's homelessness, crime instead what we're spending how much time consuming about a farmer going crookedes dog for interrupting or you know just you know during live stream media.
Speaker 9: Come on, give us break.
Speaker 2: I know exactly right. This is only fueling people's discontent with camera. Let's go to the four and a half million dollars. I mean, this is extraordinary to Chris Bowen is putting aside to get some very fancy rooms in Fiji for a whole lot of climate delegates and not even Australian Lucy. How embarrassing again, I mean, if ever you needed more proof, Peter and our wonderful viewers that this is all just a box ticking exercise to show how virtuous they are and how committed they are to this ideological fantasy, then this is it.
Speaker 5: If they truly cared about the climate and the carbon emissions and everything that's going on on the you know, the near estimations on the planet at the moment, they would be doing this from zoom and they would be showing a true commitment to the cause. They are hypocrites, and they are driving this economy and this nation by extention of their ideologicals in the ground, and it is an embarrassment.
Speaker 2: I might just add on there too, you know. Will Nan Curvis, whose Australia's climate change ambassador. Yes, we have one spent one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars and I don't know how many thousands and thousands of emissions last year flying around the world telling all of us to take our roof fracks off, you know, drive more efficiently and all that sort of bizo, get out of the sky. Thank you, ladies. I'll see you next week. That's it for me, see you tomorrow night. Here's Andrew