Speaker 1: Oh hello, thank you for joining us healthy listeners on this daily podcast from Body and Soul. I am Felicity Harley and as this EPP drops on a Friday, I have a special guest, no, not Holly. This week she is gallivanting around Europe. I'm joined by our fantastic producer, Tabby Wilson, and of course we are talking through the three hottest topics in the health and wellness world this week.
Speaker 2: Tabby, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It's been a while since I've been behind the man in a.
Speaker 1: Minute, and you have been to Paris? How was that the Olympics.
Speaker 4: The Olympics was pretty incredible. I have to say I got to see Simone Bars when her gold. I saw my first Hannis match, which I mean I've probably peaked there. I don't think I'll get something quite as good as watching the men's doubles take out gold for Australia. But yeah, I was an incredible truth And I've never spent much time in Paris, but I think I might be in love with that city.
Speaker 1: I'll have to be back. Well, it's nice to have you back in the chair this week. Now I'll kick off with well, my pick of the week on the website this week, and it was simple ways to slash sugar intake.
Speaker 2: Do you know how much added sugar there is in your diet?
Speaker 4: I would suspect fairly high as someone who's got a bit of a sweet died or.
Speaker 2: How much we should consume. I really don't have any idea.
Speaker 4: No, in terms of late grams. Yeah, yeah, no, I've got no idea.
Speaker 2: Twenty five a day or less twenty five?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that dear, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: So this story was by friend of our podcast, Nutrition Is Susie Barrel, and she shared seven simple ways to slash sugar intake. Just going to share a few, and I thought they were really good because they were a bit different. And I think with sugar's it sneaks into your diet, doesn't it in places that you don't actually realize. So these are particularly foods that a lot of us probably assume are healthy, and they are to a degree, but they're loaded with sugar.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Number one flavored oats, So change flavored oats to whole oats. So you know there's a little sashets you get, yes, like.
Speaker 3: The apple cinnamon or something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean they might sound delicious, actually might.
Speaker 1: I think my kids when whenever we walk into cereal aisle, they're always like, oh, let's go those ones. I'm like, no, well they're actually loaded with sugar. So you can get two teaspoons of added sugar per serving. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a lot when it comes to your daily quota. So look for whole oats and you can also sweeten them up with fruit, vanilla or cinnamon to make your breakfast fuller.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a really great tip.
Speaker 4: And I think something that I've looked at a lot recently is just breakfast in general is where I find a lot of sugar sneaks in, particularly in granola, because if you pick the wrong one, they're so they are so loaded.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the Actually when it comes to breakfast as well, beware of fruit yogurt. So if you swap from fruit yogurt to Greek yogurt, you can eliminate as much as five to ten grams of sugar.
Speaker 4: That's crazy if you're daily amounts twenty five exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think you know, Greek yogurt is interesting. I personally never used to like it, but you can acquire. It's an acquired taste. It can be quite bitter, yeah, but if you mix it. I have it on my cereal. Actually, well, don't have cereal. I have like fruit and a bit of granola and then Greek yogurt on top.
Speaker 4: Flissa and I talk a lot about breakfast off microphone, so we're well acquainted.
Speaker 3: With of what we eat.
Speaker 4: And I've taken a leaf out of your book actually, and I've also been making my own granola bit of a humble raguly purely because I have been looking at the sugar content and thinking, oh my goodness, and I really want to up my fiber. That's one of my goals for the next couple of months. That's very impressive, Tabby, I am impressive tab granola trade my that The other one I just want to share is it was a really interesting one. But Susie recommends switching sweet chili to soy sauce.
Speaker 2: Now bottled sauces.
Speaker 1: Theyre notoriously high in added sugars, and most sweet sauces and marinades can contain close to ten grams of sugar, so that's actually more than two teaspoons.
Speaker 2: So it's an easy way to get rid of just that extra sugar.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's easy to just cook with it something in a bottle rather than make your own. Yeah, I get it when we're all time poor, but just take taking those extra few minutes will slash your sugar contents.
Speaker 4: I think also, like we've Susie's been on the podcast quite a few times before, and a lot of it comes down to the level of processing in your food as well. I know that's one of her big pointers, and it sounds like from what you're saying, the less process the better when it comes to sugar content as well.
Speaker 1: Amen. Now, Tabby over to you. What's peak to your attention this week?
Speaker 4: Well, much like I think everyone in Australia and our respective cities, it is spring and the weather has been all over the place and my skin is suffering.
Speaker 3: I have been.
Speaker 4: I'm not normally a dry skin girl, but it has been unbelievably dry. So I've been doing some research into it, as you do. And the first thing I kind of wanted to learn is what is the difference between dry or dehydrated skin?
Speaker 3: Are they the same thing? Like? What matters when it comes to those things?
Speaker 4: And basically dry skin is characterized by a lack of oil, whereas dehydrated skin is a lack of water. And that is the kind of thing that you're normally going to see when you have like quite aggressive weather changes or like you're struggling with really dry air in your house. And so I had a look at kind of the things that can affect that, and one of the ones I really wanted to look at is hot showers, because we all love a hot shower, love a hot shower, particularly in these violent winds that we've been experiencing in Sydney. And based on what I hear about Melbourne, I'm sure they've got well chasing that off the.
Speaker 1: Plane from Melbourne and it was very cold and then it's going to be very hard on the weekend. So wherever you are in Australia, there is erratic weather run now exactly.
Speaker 4: And apparently, sadly, hot showers can strip our skins of its natural oils, so that would be you know, dry skin, and that can.
Speaker 3: Also cause a lot of irritation.
Speaker 4: So I guess if you have I'm quite fortunate not to, but if you have any skin complaints like XMA or something like that, it could be really exacerbated by hot showers, So that's something to think about.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is indoor heaters.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we're leaving indoor heater season, but they really reduce the humidity and the air, which can really leave your skin both dry and dehydrated depending on which way you lean. So the best way you can keep your skin hydrated, it's gonna be sound really obvious.
Speaker 3: Water Drink a lot of water. Drink a lot of.
Speaker 4: Water, but also apply moisturizers twice a day when you're struggling with dry or dehydrated skin, and maybe lean towards something a little bit thicker, particularly overnight during those winter months, because that can really up those natural.
Speaker 3: Oils in your skin.
Speaker 4: Make sure the water content in your skin is higher and skin look younger and bouncier.
Speaker 1: And happier skin. But I think we always need a reminder exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, it all comes back to it's like all roads lead to rome, all roads leads to drinking three leads a day.
Speaker 1: And skin just quickly before we go, I had to share this study. Actually, I've told so many people about this. I read I came across it last week, so it's a study of more than one thousand GPS in the UK, and it's found that one fifth surveyed have incorporated AI into their consultations.
Speaker 3: That's insane to me.
Speaker 2: Is that horrifying or just a sign of what's to come? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So they're using bots like chat GPT and Google's barred. So this study found that almost thirty percent reported using these tools to generate documents after patient appointments, which is fair enough, but concerningly one quarter used it to suggest treatment options.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, what's the.
Speaker 4: Point of training to be This is going to be a massive generalization for me, so sorry listeners, but what's the point of going to doctor school for six years and then when we're going.
Speaker 2: To be doctor chat GPT now?
Speaker 4: I mean it's making me think perhaps I just go to chat GPT when I have something a little a little funny going on, rather than paying what is it nowadays ninety to.
Speaker 3: Go and see the doctor.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's just I feel like, yes, we'll be using AI. There are pros and cons to this, but it's also quite horrifying when when you hear that and you're wondering, Okay, what's what's happening?
Speaker 4: I know when you're wondering, especially, I mean seeing a doctor is stressful anyway, particularly when you don't know what's going on. And a lot of us have a lot of trust and faith in our doctor, and we should wish as we should.
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure most of them aren't using it yet. But I've found this quite horrifying that one quarter of a thousand.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is I watch this space kind of raze absolutely Tabby.
Speaker 2: Nice to have you back on the pod scene next week.
Speaker 1: See you next week and once again listeners. If you do like any of those stories, jump on the show notes and I will leave a link to them. If you did enjoy this chat, tell us, rate and review this podcast, or of course jump online bodyansoul dot com dot you grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper, follow us on socials.
Speaker 2: Thanks again for listening, and stay healthy.
Speaker 4: Is