Speaker 1: Good eight Team. Welcome back to part two of my chat with Nick. Got some really good feedback about part one. If you haven't listened, you might want to listen to that first. Probably doesn't matter too much because we talk about different stuff. But nonetheless, here we are Mick Hall and myself winding up our discussion from yesterday.
Speaker 2: Enjoy because remember this one crazy boy. Addiction comes in people. That doesn't come in bottles. Yeah, Addiction comes in people. And you can put the bottle down, you can put everything down with the addiction is still in the person. And if it's not treated, we're going to look for the escape button again. And what's the escape button? Anything that can make me escape life, anything that can trigger that dopamine hit the right amount of dopamine that allows me to medicate everything again. And that's why people move, They change their drug of choice. They can say, yea, I was addicted to alcohol, but I'm good now, but I'm on the bonds every night, right right? Or none? No, I've stopped drinking, but you know now I'm down the pokies and I don't drink, but I'll put your money in the pokies. Yeah, or it just shifts and changes. So we call it swapping the witch for the bitch, all right, and we're just the bitch and shape shifts because the person's only looking at treating the symptom. They're only looking at treating the substance it's taking. That's not that's not treating the problem.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So so if the using and the drinking and the pawn and the gambling and all of that, that that behavior is the symptom, Yeah, what is what is the problem?
Speaker 2: The problem is in the thinking, and it's in this or there's a defect in the brain and the mid brain and in the hierarchy system. It's in that part of the brain, the primal part of the brain which gets us to breathe, gets us to you know, feel hunger, that type of stuff that doesn't think about right or wrong or anything like that. It's just there and it's a part of our hierarchy system, in that part of the brain that is somewhat defective. Where how can I explain this? Where the need to escape the way that we think and the way that we feel becomes more important than the basics of life. It becomes more important than paying rent, becomes more important than my wife begging me please stop drinking or I'm going to leave you. It becomes more important than I'm going to lose my job and I'm going to go financially bankrupt. It becomes more important than these things. What we're really chasing is dopamine. Addiction is part of the pleasure construction of our brain. It's not only dopamine, but dope means the main neurochemical that I kind of provides that your forage state state. Yeah, so do you reckon that?
Speaker 1: I reckon that? Correct me if I'm wrong. But like for me, I think there are emotional drivers as well to addiction. I'm lonely, I feel isolated, I feel disconnected. I fucking because I remember you telling me when you were a kid, you felt lonely and isolated and rejected and dejected, and then you picked up whatever the fuck it was booze at twelve, which was sherry or something horrible, wasn't.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, with port?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, port, And you drank that and it tasted disgusting. But the feeling of being inebriated, the feeling that came with the disgusting drink, that kind of alleviated some of that emotional pain or social pain. Am I right?
Speaker 2: It did? Yeah? Yeah, But I see that as not necessarily the effect of the alcohol, although I liked the effect of the alcohol, but it was the effect of the dopamine. My brain being flooded with dopamine. That's what gave me the relief. That's what made me think, holy shit, because see, I didn't even realize it. So addiction can be described as obsession of the mind and a physical allergy. So once I put the alcohol in, I just can't stop. I just wanted to keep going. And before I've put it in, I've always got this I call it the iaty biddy shitty committee. I've got the voices in their head going all the time, and that's where I've got self doubt. I'm unsure. I don't want to be here. I want to find my way out of here. I want to all this thinking in that all this thing I don't fit in, and all this sort of stuff. And then when the dopamine is released in my brain, all of that just goes quiet, it stops, and it's that's the ultimate peace of mind. And people that get into recovery from addiction, that's ultimately what we're seeking this peace of mind, and we've been running away. We've all been running away for so long. We've been running away from ourselves. And why we're running away from ourselves because for some reason, inside of every addict, there's this sneaking suspicion that's been there, probably well before we ever drink will use. There's a sneaking suspicion that we're not good enough, we don't measure up, and maybe we're maybe we're pathetic.
Speaker 1: And maybe unlovable. Unlovable. Yeah, yeah, So I've got a random question. I don't think I've ever asked you. Do you think that? And remember everyone, this is just a chat. This is not therapy, This is not a prescription. This is just a very sweary chat. Do you think that codependency is a type of addiction?
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you emphatically that every adduct on the face of the planet is codependent.
Speaker 1: Go on, So I'm talking about codependent with another human, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, codependence is codependency, whether it's with another human or whatever. But yeah, we're all codependent. We're dependent on connection. Were dependent on a particular type of connection, one that gives us the type of relief that we need. And so what you can often find happen when people first try to give up drink, drugs, whatever it is that they're doing, is that all of a sudden, they're in a relationship or they're with somebody, and the codependency rears its head and the person becomes absolutely reliant on that relationship for them to be okay, because they're not used to being able to. And recovery is about learning how to find the sense of our self and be able to process life ourselves without seeking external ways of doing that. So, whether that be enmeshment with someone else, whether that be in meshment with another substance, and that can it can happen in all types of different ways, and we all look for distractions, you know, at different times, whether it be through sport, gym, you know, it can be through sort of healthy avenues, but genuinely gents or not genuine generally through relationships. What happens is is that it becomes it becomes very messy when we when we fall in love with someone, it creates a beautiful dopamine response and it's one that can be quite similar to using and drinking and to other addictions. And you know, I was actually just talking to a young gentleman, you believe, last night. So actually one of my son's friends, and he's gone through a bit of a problem where he'd split up with a girl and it's absolutely almost destroyed him, and he's obsessed and he needs an escape. And I was able to say to him last night, Look, it's good that you're talking about this because you know, relationships are a huge factor in people becoming suicidal, becoming horrendously depressed, and it's because we have that enmeshment. It's because that we put all our value and our belief on what that person feels about us and thinks about us. Yeah, and it's just, you know, it's an awful way to be because it means we're at the whim. You know, we're controlled, we're emotionally controlled by others. And recovery from addiction actually addresses codependentity because what we want is true independence of the spirit of us, and we need to find a way to be emotionally and psychologically okay. No matter who does says things, acts in any in any shape in our off we need to find a way to be okay, and we need to find a true sense of ourselves so that we don't have to be reliant on someone else providing that sense of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting that this is an interesting chat, right, the sixty one year old that lives by himself and he's like a fucking island in a sea of humanity going fuck off. I'm okay, No, I'm fine, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I you know, it's like it is interesting because really, really really fucking loving someone is awesome and terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's risky, right because.
Speaker 1: You open that door right up now again everyone, this is me just thinking out loud and I understand it. And so to a point, like you want to be self sustaining I don't mean as in dysfunctionally alone. And you know you've got a big sign on your head that says fuck off. Right, you want to be self sustaining so that you're not co dependent, but at the same time you want to be available and vulnerable but finding that balance, you know, where you know you can love and be loved. But you are I'm not talking about people who are unwell here, I'm talking about you know, in general terms. But but yeah, you're not your your your sense of worth and you know, self esteem and value is not dependent on somebody else's acceptance or love or you know, because then we just create. You know, this is not a this is not win win, this is not a healthy relationship. And you think about how many people you know and I know, and you've maybe done it, and I know I've done it, you know in the old days, you know, back when you know, when I was a kid thirteen hundred years ago, I mean I was in relationships at times that were not healthy. I mean they weren't fucking toxic and destructive, but they weren't. And you're just there because you're there, you know, I'm like, ah, well, and it's more about familiarity and ease than it is like, oh fuck, I'm so in love. I'm so in love. They're in love. And you kind of think sometimes you attach more pain to getting out of it than staying in it, so you go, ah, fuck it, it'll probably sort itself out, you know, which is I mean, that's always that's always a great plan. I know this is shit, but it'll get I don't know how, but magically, you know, And and that so many people that I talk to these days that are in a relationship that you know, and I'm quantifying this and I shouldn't, but you know, their relationship is a two or a three out of ten, and they're not happy and the other person's not happy and it's not healthy, and nobody's life is better for it, right. But at the same time, then they come up with all of these reasons in inverted commas, why ah, fuck it, it's just not worth it. You know, there's this, and there's that, and there's the money, and there's the kids, and we've got two dogs and we've got a mortgage in this fact, you know, and then you go. And by the way, I'm not saying they should get out of it, but I'm just thinking, I don't know that they're great reasons to stay in something that neither of you love for the next twenty years.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree, I agree, Jesus A bloody interesting subject, you know, like I feel like for me, for me, it's been a again to try and have a Hell, the relationship is impossible if you're not healthy, you know, if and and by healthy I mean functional, functional, and that I understand, so oh to speak for me that I understand myself. Yeah, And understand the truth about myself. Now, I don't just mean the truth like some obvious things. I mean the actual truth. Have you ever heard of washroom honesty before?
Speaker 1: Crago, I have not enlightened me, bro.
Speaker 2: Washroom honesty is the type of honesty is you know, when you go to the public toilet, You go and use the public toilet, and you come out of the stall and there's no one in there, and there's one dirty little sink with it with a disgusting tap, and there's no paper tow to dry your hands. Yeah, but you still wash your hands anyway, right, all right, that's washroom honesty. So washroom honesty with self, with ourselves and right is the type of honesty that's needed in order to have self discovery. It's impossible to have self discovery without that, because otherwise it's just bullshit and self delusion. So I feel fortunate that I'm a person in recovery that has a process, a proper process that I can utilize that helps me have continuous washroom honesty with self me no matter what's going on in my life, I'm able to use this process and find out, well, what's the truth about me in regards to this situation and sometimes I've got to go through a bit of pain first, but I'm able to get to the truth of that. And of course it's been a learning process and it's taken time, and it's taken I'd still do it. That's twenty four years in recovery, and I'm now in a place where I feel that I've got a pretty decent hand and or on it in terms of it doesn't mean I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I can I can see fairly quickly when I'm going off off the road. Yeah, and I'm able to navigate my way back onto it. And so what that's done is it's allowed me to get into a relationship with someone where I have and I may I say this quite emphatically, no dependence on that person for my well being. You still love them, I love them very much, and I would and I would go to war for them, right and all that stuff. But I have no dependence. And because I have a sense of myself and I have who I am is not built around that person. It's built around who I am and what I do and how I treat people and what I want to achieve in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know we're getting into really, I mean, this is fucking fascinating, right, But as you're talking you probably don't realize, but you will in a moment. So the stuff you're talking about intersex with my research and my PhD, because what you're talking about, well before that just momentarily about self awareness, right, you caught it something else, but it's the same. It's self awareness. That is, who am I? What am I like? What am I like for me? What am I doing that works? What do I do? That's fucking stupid? You know? How am I for the world?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I think this. Remember my research is around that thing called metapception, which is understanding what I'm like for others. In other words, what's it like for Mick right now at two fifty four on a sad diavo like for mixitting at home on his computer looking at me? What's that like for him? Right? That's a metapception kind of curiosity. And then me to have some insight into that and realize, look, I think he's enjoying the chat is we're back, and I don't think he's hating it or hating me. And having some kind of insight, right, that gives me a level of what we call meta accuracy. I just think or I'm just wondering out loud, like I think this is and it probably happens on a level, but this is a really valuable kind of construct to bring into that space, you know, the recovery space, which is, I know how you think, right, but this is how the rest of the world thinks. And now you don't need to be anyone but you, but one understanding how you think and why you think the way that you do, good or bad. We call that meta cognition, thinking about our thinking, understanding how someone else thinks, not agreeing with them or being like them, but just understanding. Remember, seek first to understand, that's called theory of mind, and then understanding what what the fuck you were like for the rest of the world. Because you might think you're shit hot, but the rest of the world thinks you're a cunt, right, And if they do and you don't know that, you're a bit. Yeah, I don't worry. And fifteen of my listeners have just unsubscribed, but that's okay. I mean, this is how Remember I said to you before we started, let's not do a podcast, Let's just talk like you and me, and this is how you and me talk. And so for the people that just got offended, I'm a little bit sorry. I'm not that sorry. But this is this is as real as it gets, right, This is what I'm saying. This is the opposite of radio. This is not fucking scripted. This is not manufactured, This is not choreographed. There was no plan other than just to be real. But I think that really, you know, like that's met a perception right there where. I know that some people won't like that language. I'm cool with that. I know that more that there'll be the largest percentage you'll be like a shoulder shrug, and probably slightly more will than won't. Go Yeah, that's funny, harps, just be you just talked, you know. But I can't And we go back to where I was in a minute. I can't run a podcast or I can't be authentic if I'm I'm putting a persona out there, if I'm like I'm pretending I talk differently to how I actually do right and well. And I guess in some environment you need to be somewhat self regulatory, but on my podcast, I'm just going to be me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But anyway, back to you, like, is there ever any insight into that, you know, when you're talking to someone who's really in the you know, who's an addict, and do you ever say to them, what do you think it's like being around you? Because you're fucking wrong?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean I've got to do it quite often with people. And we call it how do we how do we call it? We call it we give people. Well, sometimes I will give people what I would call a peer evaluation. Oh wow, and we'll get the person if they're in rehab. We'll get the other people in the rehab to fill out a form and to give honest feedback to what they can see when this person and their and their their view of their interactions around this person, whether it be you know, they're always you know, like giving lip service, or they're you know, like avoiding talking about hard stuff, or if they're not honest or not being honest, or you know, they're they're being deceptive or just yeah, it's just and it's a really valuable kind of tool because we need to come out of fantasy land. You know?
Speaker 1: Is that also is that fraught with danger because I'm imagining, imagining some narcissist slash sociopaths slash slash psychopaths that you have a few of. Just statistically in a group, there's going to be someone I imagine that wouldn't go down great.
Speaker 2: No, it goes down fine. It generally generally goes down pretty good if it's done in the right way. So the reason, the way that we frame this is that this is to help a person's recovery, and this is to just point out some barriers to a person's recovery. But you know, it's like anything, there's no point just pointing out the negative. We also need to do the positive. So then we bring in the positive and said, let's bring out some positives in the person's character. What do we see? And so we find really good stuff like you know, really active listening and really engaging in group. All right, So there could be a whole range of different things in the positive side of the ledger, and it generally generally works pretty well. And I often tell people because people get all funny, Oh, I don't want to tell negative things about this person. I don't want to run them down. And I always tell people you're not running them down. It's kind of like boxing, right, If I'm in the ring, sparring, boxing, preparing for a fight, and the only the people around me only tell me what I'm doing good. That doesn't fucking help me. I actually need you to tell me what I'm doing shit, because that's what I need to work on. I don't need to work on the shit i'm doing good. I need to work on the shit i'm doing bad. Yeah. So, so pointing out the needatives, I will call them barriers to somebody, to them progressing in what they're trying to achieve is a really empowering, informative and positive process.
Speaker 1: I'm going to change directions slightly. I want you to in one minute if you can, because this is leading to something else, describe. It doesn't have to be one minute, it can be ten minutes. What do I care? What do you care? A moment that comes to mind that was about as close to rock bottom as you have ever been in the middle of addiction, and you may have shared it once before, so you might want to praisee it, but I think most people wouldn't have heard it. And then I'm asking this for a reason which will become apparent after you answer it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I can remember, probably right towards the end of my addiction. I've not long been out of prison up in Queensland, and I've made my way back to Melbourne. By the way, while I was in prison serving out my sentence, I swore that I would never ever use or drink again, because I knew that's what put me there. And I had a bottle of beer going down my neck about around roughly thirty minutes after being released, And within two weeks I had a needle of heroin going back in my arm again so that it didn't work too well. But look, I've made my way back to Melbourne, and I was using an abandoned building in the city in Melbourne, but just in between using I decided to go and get a drink. I went into the Young and Jackson's Hotel. I went in there and I went up to the bar and I said to the barkeep, olive the pot. And I still remember him pushing the pot across the wooden bar and I could hear it scraping along the wood. I grabbed the pot and I stuffed off the top of the phone and thought, oh, that tastes like shit. I put it back on the bar. I walked to the toilets, I had a hit of heroin. I vomited all over the toilet. I walked back to the bar and pushed the pot back across the bar to the barkeep and thought, I can't drink this, and I walked off. And I walked around to this abandoned building and I had to get up to the first floor and this abandoned building, but I couldn't get in. There was a fire hose hanging outside a window, so I climbed up the fire hose into the first floor of this building. And if you can imagine, the inside of this building was just just all a wooden frame and all of that in there, and broken plaster and just rubbish everywhere. There was rap shit all over the floors. There was this broken furniture. And I decided to have a hit a heroin in there, and I did, and it must have well, I nearly oded. Obviously I didn't because I'm still alive, but it certainly knocked me out. And I woke up, I don't know how long later, with my face stuck to the carpet, this rancid rat, shit ridden carpet, and I pulled myself to my feet and I turned around, and as I turned around, this old broken dressing table, and I had a mirror on it, and there was a broken mirror on it, And as I turned around, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. And in that very moment, what I saw looking back at me chilled me to the bone. And I was thirty years old, and for the first time in my life, I saw myself as I really was. And let me describe see what I really was. I was a thirty year old man that was standing at It was filthy dirty. I had no front teeth, they'd all been punched out at the pub. At the side of my face smashed in. I had screws holding my leg together from a failed suicide attempt jumping off a bridge over a freeway. I was sixty something kilos, ringing, wet, with little chicken wings for shoulders because I've been boned out from the smack us. I had hepatitis. See, I had nowhere to go, no one to turn to, nowhere to live, no car, no nothing. And what I saw looking back at me was a dead man walking. And for the first time in my adult life ever, because I had I've had a death wish my whole life. At that moment, looking in that mirror the first time in my life, was frightened to dying. But not only was I frightened to dying, I was frightened of living because I didn't think getting recovery was possible. I've never seen anybody, especially with a heroin addiction, really genuinely ridgie ditch turned their life around. I'd never seen it, so I didn't think it was possible. And I was called in no man's land. That's what he called hell on earth. That's my bottom.
Speaker 1: Dude, dude, Oh my god. That is that. That is loss, that is full on, that is significant. That is Thank you for sharing that like that. That gives a perspective that I've heard a version of that a while ago, but quite a while ago, but not not that, not with that much clarity and not with that much kind of detail. It's all right, let's let's park that. Let's just put that on the shelf. By the way, that might become the promo for this episode, by the way, well done. Thanks for doing that, always thinking, always thinking, always, I'm my DeFore Melissa is going to love that. They'll turn that into it. But anyway, Now I want you to talk about in your boxing career. So you were thirty and today you're fifty three or something. Correct now, correct whatever I fuck up? Correct me. But in the not too distant past, in the last few years, you've won a state boxing title, a South Asian or South Pacific boxing title.
Speaker 2: Asia Pacific SEC and middle A title.
Speaker 1: And you've also won a world title in boxing. I mean, do you ever think well, firstly, tell us about that. Tell us about that dude you just described who just was. I mean, that's about as close to dead as you can be without banddad, right, And now tell me about you know, two decades plus later being a world champion athlete, obviously in masters and all that, but fucking hell, dude, even just that you could even get through that and run around the block as a major achievement, let alone becoming an elite box So tell us about the highest point in the last few years in boxing.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's been a few high points, but it's just been there's been a couple of electric moments in here, you know, like I remember, you know, my first seven fights I lost, lost.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I love that? I love that you started with that I fucking love that because I'm so much about that. That's my story, like the first seven of everything I did. I lost the first six hundred episodes of this show, the first six hundred episodes, we lost Doe. Yeah, yeah, okay, so you lost the first seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I lost the first seven. But now is this. There was a guy I fought on my first fight. His name was Christopher Hume, not was is Christopher Hume yep, and and Christy Hume. He stopped me. I think it was in the second or third round, but he stopped me, you know, able to referee stop the fight, and was you know, that was hard pill for me to swallow, right, because it took me a lot to get to that. But it took years and years and years of training of brutality and you know, sas type training to get to the point where I could actually get in the ring like that. And it was, you know, it was a big, big deal and he won it. And so at the end of the fight, the announcers in the ring and he's got the microphone and he's getting Chris to do to do a speech, and he says, oh, do you want to say anything? And of course I did the old grab the microphone out of his hand. Yeah, sure, all I've got a few words to say, and I gave my little speech and I don't know, I don't know where this came from, but in that moment, but I said to the crowd, I said, today, you know, like, congratulations to Chris for winning the fight. You know it was a better fighter on the night. But I said, but make no mistake, I will be back and I will win a title. No matter what happens, I will be back. And I left it. And of course the crab an eye. Yeah, so you know what. So then we go on. Then we have on another six fights after that, and it's last, last, last, Now, if anybody knows what it's like in sport or when you give so much of yourself and and you'd lose. I mean, as a fifty something year old man, I sat in the changing rooms after a fight and I cried because it hurt so bad to lose. Yea, and okay, probably three of those seven fights I should have won, by the way, but fucking judges. But anyway, that.
Speaker 1: Just quickly, how old were you for your first fight?
Speaker 2: It was forty nine or fifty forty forty nine.
Speaker 1: Now, how many how many unofficial fights did you have in your life before the first sanctioned?
Speaker 2: About fucking heaps.
Speaker 1: I bet there weren't so many rules to comply with in the old days.
Speaker 2: No, there was other limbs and all sorts of things that could use. But how's this right? So that happened. And then, however, many fights later, I finally started to get some wins, and I got an opportunity to fight for a state title. And now I wanted this so bad. I believe it was my destiny, you know. And all this time I knew I was going to win a title someday. I didn't know how. I couldn't, Like, I just didn't know how it was going to happen, but I knew that I was going to do it. Anyway, this particular fight, I won the fucking state title right like I was fucking unbelievable trip. And anyway, I'm standing there at the end of the fight and they go yep, the winner, you know, the blue corner, and the hand goes up and I feel this belt just slapped around my waist. This fucking it was so such electric feeling, and get tied up around my waist and I look around and gets who presented me the belt.
Speaker 1: That beat you the first time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, chrissy him. That was electric right, like that was fucking unbelievable. It's like, you know, icking told you I was going to do this, you know, like ah, so that was great, and then laid down the track. We got approached by the WBO, which is a well boxing league and another fighter and they wanted to They're interested in getting me involved in a in an Asia Pacific title and we had to go and fight at a place called Nerandra, which is Country, New South Wales. It's about two hours or two and a half hours past Aubrey and and it said on the on the info for the fight said it was at the Henry Mathison Oval. And thought, oh, that's interesting. It must be pavilion or something there. So I rock up there the day before. The whole teams with me. We'll go and have a look at this venue. Well we go to this venue. Fuck me dead if I'm lying. They're setting a fucking ring up in the middle of the oval and it's going to be going to be held under the footy lights. I'm thinking I've come to Country, New South Wales. To have a fucking blue on the oval unbelievable. But it is one of the best experiences I've ever had. It was amazing night I won the Asia Pacific super Middleweight title WVL super Middleweight title. And when I won that fight and it was a unanimous decision, I got, you know, I've got the other guy on a standing eight count. I just did. I did so well. And as they raised my hand and they and and Gary Saint Clair came in and put the belt around my waist. I looked over the over the ropes and my son was standing in the crowd, and I don't and I know how much my son loves me and how proud of me he is, but I've never seen pride in his eyes more than what was there that day. I can't explain the feeling like my whole team was there, so my coaches and all the fight team were there. We went back to the motel room afterwards, and I mean, and I don't drink or anything, so I having me my soda waters and a big, big parmeshama and and we sat down and we laughed and joked and just lived the moment all night.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That's amazing and in the present, like, could you in your wildest dreams, you know, when you looked at yourself in the mirror in that factory at thirty, your face was fucked up, you had no teeth. You know, you were at death's door, well heading towards the door. And to picture that you would be this highly trained, fit, strong, fucking athlete boxing in front of lots of people and winning titles. I mean what I love about that too is and I mean this with respect, like I think, well, one, your body was a bit fucked up from jumping off that bridge. That certainly didn't help the athletic career.
Speaker 2: You know, it doesn't help when you're a right hander and midway through you've got to You've got to relearn boxing left handed and only fight left handed.
Speaker 1: Why did that happen?
Speaker 2: Because I couldn't get the proper balance as an orthodox fider the stands, because the Rye league, I couldn't get the right balance. So I had to change stance and start fighting left handed. Wow. I'm now a way better fighter left handed than right.
Speaker 1: Wow. And I mean, what a credit to you mate that we spoke earlier about just dealing with hardship and resilience and figuring it out and solving problems. And you know, it's like, there are so many analogies with surviving prison and surviving whatever, navigating prison, coming out the other side, coming out the other side of addiction. I don't know if we want to call it that, but you know, a boxing career, building businesses, trying to figure yourself out, like my biggest projects, me your biggest pro That's literally why I called this show the You Project, Because irrespective of who I talk to, what we talk about, what they do for a job, where they live, everybody's biggest challenges them selves, right, Like I think, putting aside like the fundamentals of food and safety and security and a few bucks obviously that's paramount, but put that aside, I reckon the biggest challenge for humans is managing our mind. If you can't manage your mind, you're fucked.
Speaker 2: You're fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah. When I talk about life, when someone says, you know, like, how's life, how's your life? To me, it's about how's my thinking? Yeah, that's where I live.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, if you can, if you can sort that out, and even you think about at the other end of that, or the flip side of that is you see someone who's got and I'm speaking in general terms, but a good life in inverted commas, and by that living in a good joint, got a good car, got some dough. From the outside looking in in terms of society or norms or values, you go, wow, she's going great or he's going great. I mean, good job, they're in good shape. They're ticking all these boxes. But how many of those people? And not to say one equals the other, but definitely, having a good life in inverted commas wink wink doesn't necessarily equal happiness or calmness or joy or fulfillment or emotional or mental health. No, you know, because the like where life happens is out there, where living happens is in here. You know. It's that it's like an internal journey and we just happen to be navigating it in a three dimensional physical space where we're bumping into other Fuck we it's like us, you know, it's like it's so we are so focused on the external world, like all we're so worried about what people see, while so really addressing the stuff that people don't see. And that's for me. This is what this is, what these conversations are about, is addressing the stuff that people don't see so much. You know, is that internal you know, feelings, thoughts, ideas, you know, joy, paining, pleasure, fucking hope, emotional poverty, you know, isolation, self doubt, self loathing, self love, optimism. You know. It's like, if you can start to navigate and manage all of that that internal world that is you, then maybe your life experience on top of your life situation, but your life experience would be fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: Mate, fucking I still love an old mate of mind is passed on now that we used to coin the late great Jolly Knight Jack. Yeah, he used to say a mickey voice, is we travel first class on a second class ticket, mate, And I love that shit. He's right. I love always travel first class and a second class ticket. No problem with me as long as my things all right. And I'm a good mattitude of gratitude. Mate, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you are well, mate. I always love talking to you. I love your insights, I love your wisdom, I love your real world experience. I love your fucking stories. Thanks for giving me a great story for the primo. If you could come up with another one for next time, that'd be beautiful. We appreciate you being on the You project, and keep doing what you're doing, and keep learning and growing and inspiring the rest of us. Mate, Thanks for your time, buddy.
Speaker 2: Join your Craig. Thanks mate,