Speaker 1: We all kind of identify a little bit with Darryl saying to sell you know.
Speaker 2: What if all this life's chicken, what's on it?
Speaker 3: Got something sprinkled on it?
Speaker 1: Seasoning?
Speaker 4: Seasoning From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's the endlessly quotable film that captured Australia's soul almost thirty years ago, and now The Castle is hoping to capture the hearts of a new generation. The Kerrigan families Fight for their beloved home is coming to the stage in a new play from the Castle's creators. They say there'll be a few modern updates, but it's the same story Australians know and love. Tim Douglas is The Australian's chief culture correspondent. Tim, I've known you for a long time. I can't believe I've never asked you this. What's your favorite line from The Castle?
Speaker 1: Great question, Claire. It's a topical one because it involves beef Wellington. But when Conn and Trace go to Thailand on their honeymoon, someone asked what they had to eat on the plane and they say it was beef Wellington and sal the mother explains what beef Wellington is and con says and it was an absolute credit to the airline. And I think the delivery of that line is just so perfect and says so much about Australia at that time and Middle Australia especially.
Speaker 4: My favorite, which I get asked a lot at home, is what do you call it?
Speaker 2: And she says results.
Speaker 4: Everybody cooks results down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what do you do with It's what you do with it. It's what you do with it. It's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, And I think that people perhaps of our era grew up in a time where rissolts were a regular thing at dinner, and there's a real slash of Australia that perhaps doesn't exist in the same way anymore.
Speaker 4: One of the beautiful things about the Castle was that it managed to actually that suburban life and that the little moments of suburban life without being patronizing or feeling sort of like the inner city elites kind of sneering at the suburbanizes, didn't it. And that's wide appeal to people who did actually live in the suburbs.
Speaker 2: That's the magic that is hard.
Speaker 4: To capture for people who, let's face it, are fear to kids, you know, drama students, theater actors making a show about real Australians.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I've bean such a delicate balancing act to get that right, and I think they did get it right. But you know, of course, a bunch of university graduates and as you say, theater kids taking on middle Australia, perhaps in Australia that didn't belong to all of them might have been a risky play. But when I spoke to the cast this week, they're very keen to remind me that most of those stories come from the families, particularly of the Chelaro family, Santo Chillara's family, he of course is of Italian heritage, and Rob Sitch's family.
Speaker 5: The Chillara family has been a huge part of our professional lives. I mean half the stories came from well.
Speaker 6: He's pointing it me half of them came from In fact, that was a great thing about the film. It contained so many of our personal family stories and again now to bring that to the stage is a great privilege for us.
Speaker 1: And Rob Sitch has spoken before about his father being a great inspiration for Daryl Kerrigan and sitting around the dinner table and you know, pumping up his family in that very optimistic way that we see in a film.
Speaker 4: The Castle, Australia's most beloved movie, is now to become a stage play. It's a little bit of a scary time to be launching a new stage production in Australia. Just in recent months we've seen Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, even aida another musical Call Waitress kind of have to wrap up their seasons early or be canceled altogether. Why do you think they're confident that this is going to work well?
Speaker 1: This stage play has been in the offering for thirty years and so they've been working on it for a long time, especially the last two years. Theater probably was in the bounce back after COVID two years ago. As you say, there have been three major productions this year, including Beetle Juice, which was produced by Michael Castle Group. Our Castle Group is putting on The Castle. When I spoke to Tom Glarser about this being a potentially risky commercial move, he said, basically, well, all art is a risk, I think, and they think this too. Seemingly that there's enough love out there for this production, this film, this story that ticket sales will be pretty strong.
Speaker 3: And we just love people, as Jane said, not even not just your diehard theater goers, but people who maybe don't often go to the theater to come and celebrate all that is Carrigan with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my gut says that it's going to sell really well. I'm sure my family will want to go.
Speaker 4: Might have some results beforehand at the cafe around the corner. What will the Castle on stage in twenty twenty six be? Is it going to a remake of the movie or is it going to be updated?
Speaker 1: So when I first heard about it, I thought it might have been The Castle thirty years into the future. It's not that it's the story we know and love set in modern day framework. And so, as Tom said to us this week, Darryl is still a truck driver, but he works three days a week from home. You know, we might expect con the kickboxing champion to be an MMA fan, now, you know, will Dale Kerrigan be diggy holes in Minecraft? Who knows? They didn't want to give too much away, but there are so many great references that I think it'll be really interesting to see it transplanted into a modern day situation.
Speaker 3: And that's the sort of. That's the sort of fun we've had right throughout the script, and we actually think the fact that people many people know it so well, every little flip and piece of inventiveness will be hopefully a delight.
Speaker 4: Australia is so different to the country of thirty years ago, certainly in the kind of university educated arts, the elite world. But let's be honest, the people who normally go to theaters in habit Who do you think is going to be the audience for this.
Speaker 1: It's a great question because I think one of the interesting things about The Castle is whether the true thread of the story is nostalgia or whether it is the prevailing theme of the story itself, which is about the battle of taking on big corporations or big governments. And so I think certainly there's a lot of nostalgia for this film. I think the idea that it was made in ninety seven, a really interesting time for Australia. We know, floated the dollar, we're kind of emerging from the recession of the nineties. There's a lot of optimism, but it was still ahead of the dot com boom, and so there was a real innocence to it that I think we lost within five years of this film actually premiering, and by the time we're in the noughties. Of course, the film on constant reruns on Saturday nights and it was a big part of Australia.
Speaker 6: In summing up, it's the Constitution, it's Marbo, it's justice, it's law, it's the vibe, and no, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's the vibe.
Speaker 6: I rest my case.
Speaker 1: So I think that nostalgic effect is very strong. But I think there are still some notions of you know, the David and Goliath notions of this film that resonate with Australians today, even if it's on a very nascent level. As you say, Australia's a very different place and certainly, you know, houses a five times what they were in nineteen ninety seven. Today there's a lot more difficult for you a family to make their home. Their castle might be someone else's castle, their renting and so the you know, the parallels exist, but the story is very different. So I think Gen X's and baby Boomer is going to love this. But I think the idea is to open up the castle and this great story of optimism and justice to a new generation I think is really exciting.
Speaker 4: Coming up. Could The Castle get a new generation going to the theater?
Speaker 2: There is a new generation going back to the movies.
Speaker 4: Now we're seeing gen Z's show up at cinemas in ways that they were not doing five or six years ago. That's really exciting. Maybe this will get them back to the theater as well, along with Mum and Dad.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, their Working Dog Team seems to think it's a great kind of family event, and I think given that shift in time, you know, they kind of almost Nolan like idea of transposing his story into the future might work on a cross generational sort of platform.
Speaker 4: So this is the Working Dog Team probably one of the most successful creative partnerships Australia's ever seen. They have created, at least for deeply beloved TV shows.
Speaker 2: The Castle is a film, an incredibly enduring success. Was The Castle their peak? Do you think they peak early?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: It was the work that they did after was with Utopia and Kapin Kim and Frontline.
Speaker 2: Able to live up to that certainly commercially.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a film that was made in ten days on a budget of seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars and it grossed ten million dollars at the Australian box office. It's hard to beat, especially, as you say, when they're in there, you know nascent form as filmmakers and TV show makers. Of course they follow it up with the dish are very sensitive and moving Australian story.
Speaker 2: Still not flat enough, Glenn, I'll give it a tweak. We're going to drop it down a couplic click's probably unnecessity.
Speaker 1: But I think the really interesting part about Working Dog is just I mean there's a clue in the title. I mean they are hard workers. The work ethic is incredible. I mean Rob Sitsch said to us this week, this script they've had for thirty years. They've been sitting on it because they've been procrastinating.
Speaker 5: We wrote a draft of a stage play like twenty five years ago and then rewrote it twenty years ago, and it was always fun to come back to. So it was it was probably more disorganization.
Speaker 6: And also going back even before then, we all met on stage. I mean stage was our first love. It is where we first built out all our stories, so it was it feels like it's the right way to go back.
Speaker 1: As you alluded to before, they've put out so many fantastic shows and such deep and clever and thoughtful programs. I think the work that has come after the Castle has been a lot more intellectual in a way. I mean, things like Utopia and The Holloman etc. Really kind of skewer a very narrow idea of Australian politics and government.
Speaker 5: So when you think of the Reserve Bank, what comes to mind.
Speaker 4: They meet on Tuesdays.
Speaker 5: No, they got inflation wrong, yes, but no, they're independent, thank you.
Speaker 1: But they've always managed to maintain this insight into Australia that I think there's no other team in the country that can do anything like what they do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Those political shows were kind of vicious satire of these soulless people running the place. They managed to capture again that kind of loving satire. I think with Frontline it was a takedown of commercial current affairs television, but in an incredibly well informed and I think really charming and loving way. Maybe this is my perspective of someone who works in the media, but it was so realistic and it was so true, and they didn't stint from exposing kind of the foibles of the people who work in that sector. But it was also lovable and charming, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: It really was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd been interested in your insights and your family has such deep connections to television and to present you know, what was it like in the Harvey household watching this show kind of skewer you know, this art form.
Speaker 2: That's it was breathtakingly realistic.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that they kind of understood the dynamic between kind of hard working, overlooked producers and you know, presenters with massive inflated eCos who were obsessed with their own image, and then kind of gritty executive producers who all they really cared about was the ratings and behaving badly in their kind of downtime.
Speaker 5: Is anchor that announced the story and reflect what the audience are thinking. I sort of crystallized their reaction.
Speaker 6: Even when you haven't watched it in five Well.
Speaker 3: That's part of the skill.
Speaker 4: The characters that they created were so close to the bone, they were so real. They were real people working in Australian television at that time. I'd love them to do it again now, you know, in the worlds of social media and mainstream media, I haven't loved shows like Utopia or Hollow Men. I've worked close to government and close to the bureaucracy as well, and they seem to have a bit of darkness that I've found hard to watch. Actually, I didn't love Kapin Kim either. I found that tipped into the mockery of working class people in a way. They were so ridiculous that I felt it was it had lost that kind of gentle honoring I suppose of people who are guideless and innocent that the Castle had.
Speaker 6: There guys selling a pair of joust and sticks.
Speaker 3: Jost dad four point fifty but jousted sticks telling me dream.
Speaker 2: What did you think of Kapin Kim?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a good point. I think in terms of the Castle, it's almost universally beloved of people. People from those suburbs where that film is set loved it because it tells their story. It tells a story that's familiar to them. You know, as we wrote this week, there's that familiar scent of two stroke they talk about it in the film that still hangs above suburban and Australia in a very visceral sort of way. Yeah, Cathink Kim, as you say, leaned into a less sentimental and a more ridiculous sort of idea of Australia. I mean, I still, I mean I love I'm a big Warning fan, so whenever Warn he made his cameo in that show. I loved every minute of it. But I think there are two very different lenses through which to see Australian culture. One is a very real and almost natural sort of portrayal. I can't watch it now, though probably it's probably fair to say it's probably something that I don't as my go to, yeah, but at the time I got to kick out of it.
Speaker 4: It's funny how fast I stand it's changed for television, isn't it. You know, things date really quickly, although the great classics of the eighties and early nineties haven't dated. I've been on a jag of watching the the eighties classics with my kids, you know, Beverly Hills, cop and Kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Corp And Twins and all the big movies. I mean, that was a golden age of cinema that certainly in Australia we have not recaptured.
Speaker 4: You know. The Castle came at a time when Australia was making a lot of kind of great fun movies, heist movies and great Australian stories that we're not really doing now as far as I can see.
Speaker 2: No, it was right.
Speaker 1: And I think even with my kids these days, when they watch a film, it's so loud and it's so big and brash, and there's not a lot of soft, gentle, thoughtful films that are made with especially with children or families in mind. Everything's got swearing or something like my parents, but you know, for sex and swearing and violence, and I don't think it holds their attentions in a way that it perhaps held ours. And maybe that's symptom two of the sort of screen heavy lives our kids lead these days. But now I think you're right. I don't think there's been a film that approximates it in kind of universality, since there's been nothing that has come near the Castle Dale, I reckon we're the luckiest family in the world.
Speaker 6: Serenity.
Speaker 4: Well, I hope it leads to a stampede of tickets. I'll be lining up to get my seats, me too, Thanks much. Tim Douglas is The Australian's chief culture correspondent. You can read his story about the Castle's next chapter at the Australian dot com dot au. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Kristin Amiot. It's edited by Tiffany Demack. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Lea Sammerglue, Joshua Burton and Jasper League, who also wrote our theme