Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening, Thank you Caleb. Great to be with you. James Borrow here sitting in for Paul Murray here on Paul Murray Live. And we have got yet another massive, all killer, no fillers show for you tonight, including the latest Yes, there's more weirdness from old Swampy Joe and what he said at the NATO summit this was pretty strange, as well as Oh, your favorite of mine, Malcolm Turnbull. Well he's tweeted himself into a bit of a quarter. And I know social media is a sewer, but when I tell you about this one, you're going to be toasting elon musk. Trust me on this one. And in just a few moments, Bronwin Bishop joins me here with Joe Hildebrand and all your favorites. But before we get to all that, you know, I got to say we have spent so much time in recent months on this desk elsewhere talking about the helpless and hapless ministers of the Albanesi government. You know Chris Bowen, who I sometimes think is so against nuclear power because he can't pronounce the word right, you know, nuclear. He always says. And then there's Andrew Giles, the hapless Immigration minister who started out his career in politics as a lawyer for the Tampa refugees and wound up being tapped by Anthony Albanizi as the guy to be tough on borders as if. But look there's another minister who really needs to go and should have gone long ago. I'm talking about Indigenous Affairs Minister Linda Bernie. Now remember her from the voice. Well she's at it again, or rather not at it. All week we've been talking about the snap three day curfew and Alice Springs, something that you know would be the sort of thing you reckon the Indigenous Affairs Minister would consider important her portfolio. Yet it seems like Bernie has been again strangely m I A. Maybe she's been off counting the pages in the ULARU statement. Who knows, And despite repeated calls for comment, she has been pretty silent until yesterday when she popped up on the very friendly airwaves of the ABC and she told Aunty that well, you can't arrest your way out of this problem. The judicial system is not the answer, she said, but the community working with governments is the answer, well, okay, right, all very well, in good nice motherhood statement their minister, but what are you doing about this? What are you the Albanezi government doing about this? Well, it turns out it's about as much as she did to get the Voice over the line, which is to say, not much, which in that case I could live with. By the way, just on that subject, let's have a little refresher as to how effective she was back then.
Speaker 3: We just finished to racially how.
Speaker 4: Racist?
Speaker 2: You know why.
Speaker 5: It is importing Trump style politics to Australia. It is post truth and the same is to polarize.
Speaker 2: Well, when you can't win, just blame Trump and of course remember that. Finally, in the last disastrous weeks of the Voice campaign, she was shelved, effectively demoted from Alendari McCarthy the assistant junior Minister. And again I was happy to see the Voice go down. I suspect you might have been too. But the more incompetence that surrounded the s campaign the better. Fine, now though things are more serious. It's not just a bunch of ludicrous grievance industry city cures that are on the line as they were with the Voice. Instead, it's lives in a community. Bernie is now facing calls for her resignation, just as Giles and others before her. Warren Mundine told the Skuy News website today Unfortunately she's just not up for it. But will she go, of course not, because the entire Albanese government is like a much higher stakes version of the public service, where there is no consequence for bad behavior and it's all but impossible to get the sack for incompetence because remember Alba wants to go into this next election campaign is going to be later this year, if my mail is correct, without having lost a single minister. It's a weird point of pride for the prime minister. But it's also dumb management. I mean, think about this. How many ministers did John Howard have to shoot in the first year of his government? Seven and he went on to be one of our longest serving and most successful prime ministers. Much better to send the message that bad behavior and incompetence won't be tolerated than to let duds hang around as a point of pride. Linda Burney, you're a dud. Now, speaking of duds, what about old swampy Joe. Yet there he is the weekend at Biden's tour continues with the NATO summit helpfully coming to Washington, d C. This year. Thank god for that, because that means there's none of those long plane flights for Joe that it takes twelve days to recover from Lucky him. Anyway, Let's have a little listen to what the President had to say in regard to NATO's Secretary Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg earlier. Listen carefully, maybe watch the lady doing the sign language to see if she has any clues about what he's saying.
Speaker 6: Spectorating, guys was alliance to one of the most consequential periods in I realize i've your wife. I personally asked you to extend your service forgive me.
Speaker 2: Well sorry what Yeah, Look, apparently he said that he was talking to his wife, but it sounded a little well different. And one of the big questions on everyone's mind is now, now that we know that the president has eight o'clock bedtime, what happens if something goes down after hours? Fox News White House correspondent Peter Doocey asked this very simple question of White House Presbytery Secretary Karine Jean Pierre, and let's just say it did go over very well.
Speaker 7: We know the President says that his health is fine, but it's just his brain, and that he's sharpest before.
Speaker 8: He's joking, by the way, I just want to make sure that that's out there. And he was making a light hearted joke as he was speaking off He's speaking off the cuff and was making a joke.
Speaker 3: You know, the President, he likes to joke a lot.
Speaker 8: He's the same guy who says, I know I look forty right, So he likes to make jokes.
Speaker 3: It is a joke here. I think people laugh when he says it.
Speaker 7: Well, he also said he's sharpest before eight pm. So say that the Pentagon at some point picks up incoming nuke, it's eleven pm.
Speaker 1: Who do you call the first lady?
Speaker 8: He has a team that lets him know of any of any news.
Speaker 3: That is pertinent and important to the American people.
Speaker 8: He has someone or that is decided obviously with his National Security Council, and who gets to tell him that news?
Speaker 2: Boom, Well we got a little more out of Junior White House flat John Kirby.
Speaker 9: He gets calls in the middle of the night all the time, and you know a couple of G sevens Ago Brett. You might remember there was a missile that fell in Poland. There was a concern that it could have been a Russian missile. That call came in to him in the middle of the night. He called together the G seven at a snap meeting by eight o'clock that morning.
Speaker 2: Oh well that's great, that's okay. He returns the call in the morning. What could go wrong anyway? And sorry, by the way, I gotta sneak this one in before we get to the panel. And gosh, I love this. And I gotta say thank god for Elon Musk, who on his Twitter now x platform has introduced a little feature called community notes. Basically, what happens there is if you say something, if you tweet something ridiculous and stupid and wrong, other people get to call you on it and it gets stucking right there on whatever tweet you made the error on. It's pretty funny and embarrassing when it happens, particularly what happens to Malcolm Turnbull. And today he got pinged. Yes that's right. Malcolm Turnbull, who, let's not forget, has his very own renewables company quote specializing in the development of wind, solar and energy storage projects unquote. Was out there on x or Twitter, whatever you want to call it, talking down nuclear and you know where this is heading. In a long thread of tweets, nuclear power turbul wrote that nuclear plants quote run continuously, cannot be turned on and off the flick of the switch. Thus, even if they weren't hugely expensive and take decades to build, they are not the right fit for Australian's energy mix unquote. Well, helpful Twitter users managed to get this appended to Malcolm Turnboll's claims, noting that in France, quote the demonstrated flexibility of French nuclear power plants, which today account for about three quarters of the zero carbon production, clearly shows the way for the complementarity of variable renewables and nuclear in a decarbonized economy. Well, there you have it, Malcolm. Anyway, let's get into this now. I got a great panel here tonight. It is a crowded night here in the man Cave. Broadwin, Bishop Joe Hildebrand, so wonderful to see you again. Now let's get on to the first topic here. Linda Bernie, what do you reckon? Brown? Bishop? It's surely time for her to be one of the many ministers that needs to go with this government.
Speaker 4: Well, I actually feel rather sorry for her because I don't think she's well, and I've thought that since the debate on the voice. But you know, in a democracy, when you are elected to a position and then you are appointed to a specific job, if you fail and are unable to carry it out, whether you're Joe Biden or Linda Bernie, that is the failure of democracy because the people's wish is not being answered, so clearly it needs there is seriously, I need to have a new minister in the Aboriginal Affairs portfolio. And secondly, when we've seen these riots again in the springs, I've asked this question before, where are the elders. The elders obviously have a very large role to play in all of this in bringing youth together to try and bring about some some of the answers to the homes that are too traumatic for kids to want to go home do or the kids that just want to be in the street selling a brawl. Anyway, So if we listen to Jacenter Price, who says, well, let's give them jobs in the remote communities, don't send in the FIFO people to come and do the jobs.
Speaker 10: Train the kids themselves to.
Speaker 4: Do it, and give them the jobs, and allow them to have a skill and invested interest in their own communities. And the elders can play a very big job in all of that.
Speaker 2: Well, Brobert, I've been hearing this for decades, and I've heard this on both sides of government. Here, this sort of very common sense solution here. But Joe Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi, he comes into office. The thing he says down at the at the league club wherever it.
Speaker 11: Was, every Helston Park, Iris.
Speaker 2: Cadbury, Helston Park RSL club. He goes, he We're gonna have a voice, and I'm going to be an Indigenous prime minister, and I'm gonna be you know, all about this reconciliation stuff. The voice goes down.
Speaker 12: I still remember the place where my Joe landed. Like many fever was a surprise of it.
Speaker 2: But yes, yes, but it seems like ever since the voice fell over, and we had a lot of discussions about that, we haven't seen this government, and certainly not this Prime Minister, talking much about these issues at all.
Speaker 12: Look, he has he went to the Northern Territory and dropped I think from memory a billion dollars on Aboriginal housing and another billion on Aboriginal education in the territory.
Speaker 11: So that's fantastic.
Speaker 12: But again I think the problem, I think the problem had had been and I think this happens when you get someone coming a from the left and be from opposition. They sort of just thought the Voice was happening. Of course, everyone would vote for the voice. Why wouldn't you vote for the voice. The campaign wasn't take and frankly as seriously as it should have been. It was a vibe was there was no discipline.
Speaker 11: It was appalling.
Speaker 12: The whole thing was appalling, and I think that was a real I think for Linda, who was a very very lovely person. But I think for Linda that was a bit of a body blow and a shock. It was in many ways, I think it was expected to be her sort of legacy and Albanese is very close to Linda Bernie, and it was going to be a legacy, and then she would arguably not contest the next election and missing the book.
Speaker 10: That's all history.
Speaker 4: The fact of the matter is there's a great crisis in the territory and it needs attention and it needs it now.
Speaker 10: And you said, or he gave a billion.
Speaker 4: Dollars for this and two hundred and fifty million dollars for that, where does it go?
Speaker 12: I like, I liked what just Enter Price has said. I've always been a big supportive of dis and that's.
Speaker 10: Why we need that role committit.
Speaker 11: We've been talking about this.
Speaker 12: A lot, and a lot of other people have been talking about it as well. I can say, but yes, there needs to be a change in There needs to be a change in culture. There needs to be an acknowledgment of the dysfunction, acknowledgment of the failure or rather the perpetrators of the violence.
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon, Sorry, I'm just thinking about this. So I remember Tony Abbot would bring his cabinet out to the Northern Territory and and you know, it just does seem to me like this government have to talk in a very big game on it. And it's an important issue. You know, has been science from mating some checks. And last night we had Matthew Patterson, the mayor of Alice Springs, on this program and he said, well, it's great that they've written the checks some money hasn't done flow, and we don't know where it's going.
Speaker 4: To wind up going until we know billions and billions and billions of money is being spent, Where has who's got the money, what's.
Speaker 11: Been You have to you have to you have to change the culture. You have to have accountability.
Speaker 12: You have to make sure that they have private, private housing that people feel proud of, so it's not just left to rack and run. That's been a problem. You've got to make sure you get rid of the humbugging. You've got to make sure that fed when they get to school so they're not learning his stomach, and make sure they're being taught in Well, you.
Speaker 4: Guys, until we know where that money is gone, and there's no point in spending anymore because it is clearly not solving anything. So that's why there used the need for that Royal Commission talking.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, I'm going to say you both right here. Joe's right, we need private enterprise more than that, You're right, we need the Royal Commission. And I think also we've got another big story today, which is the second boat of illegal immigrants in a week has been intercepted by border Force. This one had forty four guys on it. They were intercepted by Border Force. They were from I think there were Royal Hingers and I think they were from Banglin Jesh. I think anyway, they learned about the possibility of going to Australia through that great app TikTok and then they were intercepted sitting on their way Bronwin. Do we have a restarting of the boats? Have the people smugglers said? I reckon this government might be a bit of a light touch.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, It's always the problem with labor.
Speaker 10: They don't believe in secure borders.
Speaker 4: And it's been proven whether it was Rud, whether it was Gillard, whether it was Rud again, it.
Speaker 10: Always ends up the same. So until we have.
Speaker 4: A change of government and they know that the coalition government means what it says and it will stop the boats and it doesn't matter on whatever issue pertains to the immigration issues, to people who come with visas and then overstay and try and seek the stylum on every issue the government looks weak and the Minister Giles is so weak that people can see a mile offt that there's it's worth having to go.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing job. I mean, it's like, you know, the appointment of Andrew Giles I've mentioned in my editorial. I thought from the start that that was a strange appointment for this government because remember Andrew Giles. He has said many times he got into politics because he was a lawyer representing Tampa refugees. And I sort of thought to myself, this guy does not seem like the sort of it's could be the sort of hard nut to say. You know, you're in attention, you're going home. You know.
Speaker 11: Well, when he first got the job, I just assumed it was punishment for him.
Speaker 12: This is actually what happens in the time when when Julia Gillard took over from Kevin Rudd, she made Chris Bowen Immigration Minister, and considered to be punishment for Chris Bowen supporting Kevin Rudd.
Speaker 10: So I just try to punish that.
Speaker 11: That was the word. Chris Bowen is a wonderful man.
Speaker 12: He's a fine, upstanding human being, doing a great job on yeah, transition, But but no, clearly Andrew Giles is not up to the job. Obviously, people smugglers will test the resolve of any new government, particularly a labor government, fair enough, but the Operation Borders is still ongoing. It's still the protocols are still the same, the operations are still the same.
Speaker 11: The difference is but different.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but now you've had the ends and y Q decision. Know that you've had this decision, You now suddenly have the regime of detention right very much under threat.
Speaker 11: Exactly which is exactly what I was about to say.
Speaker 12: And that is the that is the fatal floor of the Achilles heel and the system, if you like. And again the idea that you could have an immigration minister to whom it was flagged that this was the decision that was about to be handed down, and still not have a plan B in case of emergency break glass ready to the fact that it didn't even turn up to the breath, the fact that he and then the fact that you know, even six months later after it happened, or however many months later after it happened, there was still no he still hadn't actually advanced this issuere prepared these safeguards. The fact that the monetary sal is that he will be gone in the next three shuffle, I can guarantee you.
Speaker 10: With that, But have you got the information when it's going I can.
Speaker 11: Just promise you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was what do you know? Do you know something? There on the phone.
Speaker 12: You told me that the election was going to be before the end of the year. So I imagine there will be a reshuffle before then. It's still my life and I imagine, yeah, I still think it would be more wise to give Queensland voters afore time.
Speaker 2: Well this is what this is why I say later in the year. But but now, listen, let's stay, let's stay, let's stay out.
Speaker 4: If they go on the thirty first of Augers, I don't go on the old borders, on the old borders.
Speaker 12: But we've already got you've already got the coalition up fifty four to forty six in Queensland based on the latest News poll. Imagine the slaughter that they are going to get in Queensland if they go to the polls before.
Speaker 2: But this is it, This is it? This extraordinary? Is it? This extraordinary? Though? When you look at some of the polls, including the latest Roy Morgan and some of these other numbers, that the coalition is now quite competitive two years in to a first term government, I think that's I think that that, yes, this is true.
Speaker 10: When I was in that campaign.
Speaker 11: Roy Morgan is notoriously unreliable.
Speaker 2: Though sure we do that again. We do know that news pool is the pool to go with.
Speaker 11: But I want to stay.
Speaker 2: I do want to stay though. With this migration issue here for a minute, because we've had yet another huge number of people. And these are people who land here on a visa. They're students, they're here to work whatever, and then maybe they're visa's coming to an end, they want to stay, and they put their hand on and they say, oh, I'm a refugee. Suddenly they get to stay. And we've got I think one hundred and two hundred thousand of these people now who work the system. They're allowed to study, they're allowed to work, they're basically allowed to stay, and they're impossible to kick out because they're declared refugees, even if they're from countries where there's basically no oppression. I want to bring up a controversial idea, is it time? Because all of this goes back to the old refugee conventions from practically a century ago, before a lot of things have happened, including jet planes and all of that sort of travel. Is it time for nations like Australia, Joe, to start looking at the way that we look at this sort of giving people automatic refugee status if they put their hand up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's an interesting way.
Speaker 12: I mean, obviously someone who comes by plying and then claims refugee status is a safer bet than someone who comes from both with no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they've they've covered it from someplace, you know.
Speaker 12: I granted that, But I suppose it's a matter of firstly, it's a matter of their worthiness of being a refugee against the kind of hierarchy of need if you like.
Speaker 4: Well, except when we look at the Palestinian refugee circle, refugees we're dating in with no scrutiny at all.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, Well again, like I said, someone who actually comes here with a passport with identification, at least you can know that. You know they're not going to be secure. You know who they are, how old they are even.
Speaker 2: Well, but Joe, but Joe, but Joe. They're coming from you know, countries where if you look at the numbers that come out every month, a lot of these people come from countries where maybe one two three percent of people are actually judged be refugees and brown would they clog up the system, they clog up the the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, which labor is trying to blow up, you know, so they could replace it with their own body, with their own people, and you know, be presumably even softer on actually refugee refugee claim. But this just seems like a you know, a complete disaster that you know, they can blame Peter doun't all they want. But if you've got a system where people come in and put their hand up, you know, what do you do to stop that?
Speaker 4: Well, you can have a better scrutiny, and we have tighter rules about whether or not you get a visa.
Speaker 10: From certain country and go.
Speaker 4: But four hundred and sixteen from Palestine, no scrutiny, here's a visa, off you go. You look at where where people are coming from, and that that's where the Titan up has to occur. Yeah, eighty one thousand at the moment are waiting to be deported and eleven of left.
Speaker 10: Yes, So where's the will, where's the will to actually do it?
Speaker 4: And I've got to say, it does happen, and sometimes your heart really feels for the people concerned.
Speaker 10: I remember in my electorate.
Speaker 4: I had an Indonesian couple with two kids, and the kids were in a selective high school within the electorate. They were doing really, really well. They would have made damn good citizens. But they were illegal. They came on their visus, they overstayed and they had to leave. So when it's done to people like that, how come it's not being done to the others?
Speaker 12: Well, that's right, everyone would that be the exact same argument that other people are making.
Speaker 4: There are other people who've come in and said we want to we want to stay, and you know that.
Speaker 12: The other people are saying, we're here where good citizens, We've got jobs.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, the community are more like the buildings.
Speaker 4: There are many many more who come in and they just want to really get on the welfare system.
Speaker 2: But if you if you overstayed, if you overstay visa, you're not supposed to be here. I mean, I'm sorry, you know the rules. It's it's not you know, opaque. And your point about these Palestinian refugees so called who come in, and I'm sure that they weren't any of the ones who were out chanting in the streets of Gaza and celebrating and beating the bodies when they were dragged in on October seventh. I'm sure these role the good ones who don't support Hamas. But anyway, let's move on here because there's another story here which I think is just outrageous. I think it's ridiculous thing. It just shows how silly things have gotten. Captain Cook his river in Sydney is going to be might possibly be renamed the Cooks River in Sydney, maybe renamed Gulayari. Don't write it if I've got that wrong, as part of a proposal from something called the Cook's River Alliance, so it actually sounds more like the Anti Cook River Alliance. Here's Gregory Andrews from Liarbird Dreaming, who is very in went in this group. How have a look at this?
Speaker 13: Maybe people could think about it similarly to Laroo, But most people think of Aolaroo now as a Laroo, not Airs Rock, because it was always called Laroo, and then some white fellas came along, you know, a few hundred years ago or even a bit less than that, and started calling it after a bloke called Airs who was probably the explorer at the time, just like the Cooks River was James Cook so it's not really renaming, it's getting it back the name that it's always had.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Joe, I come from New York, which used to be New Amsterdare I believe that you might live kind of in the proximity of the Cook River? Do you? Does it? Does it? You know? As a good lefty to saying the Cook River just speaking of every time with colonialist colonial tread, Yeah, I.
Speaker 12: Immediately, I immediately reflect on all the terrible things were done. But I think the best part of renaming the Cooks River would be that it would instantly solve all these problems in our springs. Yes, thank you, just like everything else that has been done in this space has instantly solved all those problems. I would much rather see young indigenous leaders, the leaders of tomorrow, on the ground, stepping up, taking responsibility for what's happening in remote communities and being the first there to fix it, rather than people saying, oh, let's just look at a map and see what we can do.
Speaker 4: You and I are totally agree that they're the points that I made earlier.
Speaker 11: It's good to see you agreeing with me, always agreeing with you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Yes, look at the nonsense of this name changing. Yes, seventy was cal Richards. Who've got these figures. Seventy five percent of names across Australia are indigenous names, correct, But the gift that came with colonialism was being able to write them down, because writing.
Speaker 10: Is part of that dreadful colonial process.
Speaker 4: Horrible there was written language.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Now I grew up in I grew up in danning On, which was a native. But the point is, the point is the high unemployment.
Speaker 4: The point is that people try and use Captain Cook, who is actually a remarkable figure by.
Speaker 2: Any absolutely absolutely what.
Speaker 4: He achieved in scientific terms and everything else. So I'm very proud that he came here.
Speaker 2: He was a great He was a great scientist, a great humanity had scientist.
Speaker 12: Actually wasn't it wasn't actually and he was.
Speaker 2: He wasn't from he was from the aristocracy. He is a great story. And I think, you know, this whole thing about people talking down James Cook, I think it's terrible and worth these idiots though, and you know, get their angle grinders out.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: The matter is we've built a fantastic country here and we want those people in.
Speaker 10: The remote communities to get a share of it.
Speaker 2: But let's let's also talk about keeping the keeping the lights on in this fantastic country of ours, because there was a fascinating little story here out of Canberra, and it seems, Bronwin that they have worked out a way too. When you've got your new evy in your garage, you've got it plugged in, and then the sun's not shining for this night and the wind's not blowing because there's nothing going on and there's no electricity. They're going to suck all the power out of your car to keep the grid going. There's a wonderful acronym for this program, Bronwhen can you enlighten us about it?
Speaker 10: You financi would all come out now.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Fourth and March twenty twenty three my article was published in the Spectator and it was about now Elbow wants your electricity two. A new government program plans to rob consumers of their own energy supplies.
Speaker 10: It's called.
Speaker 4: That stands for Distributed Energy Resources program.
Speaker 2: Who comes up with these names?
Speaker 10: It's part of EMO. He's part of their plan.
Speaker 4: They are planning not only to take it out of your car, but sold pedals out of your batteries whenever they feel as a shortage of power. You're all be forced to have smart meters and I will suck it out and.
Speaker 10: You pay for it.
Speaker 12: A second, it's not a sacred conspiracy, though. This is part of there's a there's a program called nothing. A book was written called called Electrify Everything. And the idea is and the idea is that you make and the idea is that you use your car as a giant battery.
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on, Sorry, how do I know what, Joe? Like, you know, I work all these crazy hours at the paper here on sky, and you know I need my car. And how do I know that they haven't needed to stabilize the grid? Like and I go and turn on a car and it's like, oh, there's nothing in there, because you know, they needed somebody needed to run their dishwasher down the strit This is socialism, Joe, This is this is I'm sorry, this electrics, this electrification and these so called smart meters, they are redistribution. This is electrical socialism, election power. Yeah, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm sure they've got the.
Speaker 4: Short is that all this anti gas in your home? Yes, don't have a gas hot water system? Or a gas bar or a gas stove is because they can't steal your electricity.
Speaker 11: That is actually, that's right.
Speaker 12: Part of the ideal of the Electrify Everything is that you get the grain.
Speaker 11: There's a book on it.
Speaker 10: Oh really, I probably in the.
Speaker 11: No, no's right there. It's like on the front there's.
Speaker 1: A picture of the.
Speaker 10: Remember the name of it.
Speaker 11: It's called Electrify Everything here.
Speaker 2: But Joe, what happens here? What happens here if we suddenly like if this summer, you know, praise God, if we do actually get a real summer in this city and not this sort of you know, sort of cold, wet, sort of bank thing and people are using their air conditioners and then suddenly, you know, they start dialing down our air conditions, which it's cooking. It's gonna be horrendous thanks to this electrics socialist.
Speaker 10: This is the language they use.
Speaker 4: This is a EMO consumer own devices that, as individual units, can generate or store electricity or have the smarts to actively manage energy demand. It then lists examples rooftop solar panels, wind generating units, residential or commercial battery storage systems, pool pumps, air conditions, smarter planters, and electric vehicles. There's nothing that is yours that you can say, I've paid for this and you can't steal it.
Speaker 12: But I'm pretty sure if they were taking your electricity, electric already happens with solar panels when you're feeding.
Speaker 2: Them, Joe, Joe, they take our taxes and they don't compensate us for that socialism, and we don't need any more of it. And you know what, I'll tell you one other things. You can have my gas stove when you're taking from my cold dead heads.
Speaker 10: Now I'm keeping mind.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bronwin, Bishop, Joe Hildebrand. By the way, stick around because Joe is going to be on the Late Debate just after this program, So do not go anywhere. We're gonna take a short break after the break. Tons more topic, tons more fun. James Brow here for Paul Murray Live. Don't go anywhere. Welcome back to the program. James Borrow filling in here for Paul on Paul Murray Live. And how much fun was that with Bronwin Bishop and Joe Hildebrand. But now we've got much more fun to have with the debate continuing. Joining me now is libertarian commentator Christen Abraham and LLNP MP Phil Thompson, Welcome to both of you guys. Thank you so much for joining me here on the program. Want to ask about this topic. First of all, you know it seems like the Anzac Day fights come earlier and earlier every year. Chris Min's, the New South Wales Premier, has made I think a very sensible decision to say, you know what, we don't need the supermarkets open on Anzac Day. We don't need the cafes, take away restaurants and things like that. They'll still be able to treat, but big things like calls Willies, they are not trading on Anzac Day. Phil Thompson, you're a veteran. What do you make of this decision? Is this the way to keep this day sacred and preserve the specialist of Anzact Day.
Speaker 14: Well, the freedoms that we enjoy are on the back of hardfore battles, wars and sacrifice our brave men and women in uniform, our veterans and their families have made. And if you cast your mind back only to Anzac Day, there was a concert that was playing in New South Wales in Sydney, right where the Antact Day March was going to be going through and at the time I spoke out against it, the government was caught off guard.
Speaker 1: They didn't really know how to handle it.
Speaker 14: So this is now progressed to where I think they've landed on a good position to go, well, we don't want that to happen again because it was very disrespectful to veterans and their families, and I think, you know, we won't have certain things. Trading is a good thing and I welcome it, and I think, you know, it should be spread across the country.
Speaker 2: Kristin Abraham, what are your thoughts on this, because there's a lot of people out there who say, well, you know, it's the supermarket's right to decide whether or not they're open or not. I think it's kind of interesting because I've seen on social media an awful lot of people who are on the far left defending the right of big business supermarkets to have their day to continue to trade. But what's your take on this, Kristen.
Speaker 15: For me, Anzac Day, we have a tradition. We go to the dawn service, meet and my friends. We then do breakfast together and then we sit around and watch the foot and have a few beers afterwards.
Speaker 3: So that's our tradition.
Speaker 15: As a libertarian, I'm kind of in a catch twenty two with this because I do believe we should have that sense of community brought together.
Speaker 3: We should have a government that wants to ensure.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 15: Remembering our ans acts and living on in their image and appreciating the fact that we have our democracy and the ability to criticize our politicians as well.
Speaker 3: That's everything that they fought for as well.
Speaker 15: But I don't think that the government should pick winners and losers as do who can and cannot trade. So, you know, on one hand, I think what they're trying to do is beautiful and I respect it and I love it because I pay my own tribute to our diggers. But winners and losers the government shouldn't at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I get that. But you know, just Phil, I want to go back to you just one more time on this because it does seem to be like, you know, there is this constant attempt to make every public holiday like every other day and take anything special out of the calendar. But you know, we all know every society, every nation, every faith, whatever, has a calendar. There are special days where you do and don't do certain things. I mean, Phil, do you think that this is one of those things where you know we really need to do more to protect this day and possibly other days that I don't want to say sacred because it's not religious, but that are important for us and bring us all together as our strets wherever in the world we come from.
Speaker 14: I do, I really do, because it is one of our most important days in the national calendar, where we reflect on those who pay the ultimate sacrifice in war, those who succumb to their war within here back in home soil, and to the families that have carried a great burden. I reflect on my mates that were killed overseas, and I spend a day with them and having a beer and remembering and laughing and crying and going through a big ball of emotions. And I think where we need to bring this nation back too closer together, teach it in schools, why we respect it. We don't encourage public servants to opt in and opt out of different days what they can can and can't take off, because I think it waters down the significance of the of Antack Day. I support the move and in the garrison city of Townshill, our whole city stands still, it pauses, it reflects, and we all come together as one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, look, I think you're right and I think you know, we will get to the situation where as the fight against Australia DY continues, they're going to start moving to that next front, which is going to be ANZAC day. But one to move on to another issue here, which is shadow of Indigen's a ffairs, mister just in the Price, and she has outlined bold plans for an advancement movement in Indigen's affairs to take things beyond the voice and she said that this movement is about a second wave for real reconciliation and integration. Phil just to see with you. Do you think that she is onto something with this advancement movement.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 14: And I met with the Palm Island Council just recently and we're talking about closing the gap. And I'm very clear in my view around it, and I don't think politicians close the gap. I think they create the framework and the communities do it. I don't want to see fly and fly out workers into remote communities. I want to see empowerment and growth and training and skills all developed locally to empower and support their communities. I think that Jacinna's plan is good. It will be teased out and developed well. And I know that the communities around my patch and into the north, you know, they don't always like having people fly in and fly out.
Speaker 1: They want to do the jobs too.
Speaker 14: They want to work, they want to make money, they want to spend it where they choose to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, Christy, that's just a really interesting point. And I think, you know, as a libertarian, I'd love to get your views on this because there's so much money thrown around a regulation by government and trying to tell people what they can and can't do. Is there a case to be made that the government is maybe getting too much in the way of Indigenous advancement in some.
Speaker 15: Cases, James, if you have to ask me if the government's getting too much in the way.
Speaker 3: My answer is always going to be yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uha.
Speaker 15: The government is the problem in nearly every situation that we face. But it's amazing to have someone like just Enterprise out there. She's incredibly phenomenal and looking at her pathway forward after the Voice, not only did it make a plan for the Aboriginal community and how to empower them in their own communities to want to contribute. But it also outlined how there would be unity with our Indigenous Australians and.
Speaker 3: Non Indigenous Australians.
Speaker 15: Which I think is beautiful.
Speaker 3: That's leadership because.
Speaker 15: We're not seeing that from our politicians. We continue to get is divisiveness. So yes, I think the government is the problem. They should butt out. And if there's anyone that probably has the best way to look at it or a different perspective that might work for ones, it is probably just enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I think you're right. She's an absolute legend and absolute hero I think to so many people in this country for the work she's done on this. But Christy, let me stay with you. Will just shift gears, I mean, because this is a bit of a depressing story out of Queensland, out of the Courier Mail, and I'm sure this is being replicated in states and territories across this nation. Apparently twenty thousand people in Queensland are now being forced to sell their properties, sell their homes because they cannot afford it with the interest rates the cost of living. What are your reactions to this number, and particularly as you see the government doing so many things to drive up inflation with their being spending and to increase the cost of living.
Speaker 15: I'm sure that Victoria will give Queensland a run for its money soon.
Speaker 3: I'm a Victorian and I can tell.
Speaker 15: You that it's just as bad down here in terms of the situation that we find ourselves in with the housing We have over regulation in the housing market. We have permits on top of permits, taxes on top of materials, government intervention consistently. So there's another one, James, where the government should get out of the way because they are the problem. But the thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that it is the voting public's fault that we're in this situation.
Speaker 3: To be completely honest.
Speaker 15: And at the risk of you never inviting me back onto the show, the problem is not a smashed avocado on toast, and it's not you know, coffee before work every morning that you purchase from the cafe. The problem is that people stick their head in the sand and go Politics makes.
Speaker 3: Me too mad. Politics gets me too.
Speaker 15: Upset, So right, don't pay attention, and then they take that apathy are the ballot box, and then we have politicians that give us that apathy in our life and now we are reaping what we.
Speaker 2: Saw well indeed, But Phil, I want to ask you to your Queen's lad, what is the situation? Is it really as nigher as the Career mail is reporting? There are these numbers accurate? Are they?
Speaker 16: You know?
Speaker 2: Understanding the problem? Tell us about what you're hearing from your constituents.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so I think the Courier mail has hit the nail on the head here. They're probably been a bit more cautious with the numbers than they could be in towns or We have a very low rental market, impossible to get into, hard.
Speaker 1: To buy a house here.
Speaker 14: And you know, if you look around the country, you've got elbow and gym high five in each other going. You know, the budgets you back in black and we're doing great well. The household budget's not and the household budget's doing it tough.
Speaker 1: And you've got steven.
Speaker 14: Miles the queens and PREMI spending money like a drunken sailor, and it is compounding, is hurting people.
Speaker 1: The housing market.
Speaker 14: Is nearly at market failure in the North, and I think that there needs to be a much bigger focus, and I agree politicians absolutely are the problem and we need to get governments out of your way, not in your way.
Speaker 2: And I think you know it's not just spending like a drunken sailor. I'd uprated and say he's spending money like a drunken yachtsman. Anyway, Phil Kristen, don't go anywhere you don't go when we're either going to be back with a lot more talk, a lot more debate after the break. Welcome back to the program. James Borrow filling in here for Paul on Paul Murray Live and how much fun was that with Bronwin Bishop of Joe Hildebrand. But now we've got much more fun to have with the debate continuing. Joining me now is libertarian commentator Christin Abraham and llenp MP Phil Thompson. Welcome to both both of you, guys. Thank you so much for joining me here on the program. I want to ask about this topic. First of all, you know, it seems like the Anzac Day fights come earlier and earlier every year. Chris Min's, the new South Wales Premier, has made I think a very sensible decision to say, you know what, we don't need the supermarkets open on Anzact Day. We don't need the cafes, take away restaurants and things like that. They'll aso be able to trade, but big things like Coles Willies, they are not trading on Anzac Day. Phil Thompson, you're a veteran. What do you make of this decision? Is this the way to keep this day sacred and preserve the specialists of Anzact Day?
Speaker 14: Well, the freedoms that we enjoy are on the back of hard fought battles, wars and sacrifice our brave men and women in uniform, our veterans and their families have made.
Speaker 1: And if you cast your mind back only to.
Speaker 14: Anzac Day, there was a concert that was plying in New South Wales in Sydney, right where the Antac Day march was going to be going through, and at the time I spoke out against it, the government was caught off guard. They didn't really know how to handle it. So this is now progressed to where I think they've landed on a good position to go, Well, we don't want that to happen again because it was very disrespectful to veterans and their families, and I think, you know, we won't have certain things. Trading is a good thing and I welcome it, and I think, you know, it should be spread across the country.
Speaker 2: Christin Abraham, what are your thoughts on this, because there's a lot of people out there who say, well, you know, it's the supermarket's right to decide whether or not they're open or not. I think it's kind of interesting because I've seen on social media an awful lot of people who are on the far left defending the right of big business supermarkets to have their data continue to trade. But what's your take on this, Kristen.
Speaker 15: For me, Anzac Day, we have a tradition we go to the dawn service meet and my friends. We then do breakfast together and then we sit around and watch the footy and have a few beers afterwards.
Speaker 3: So that's our tradition.
Speaker 15: As a libertarian, I'm kind of in a catch twenty two with this because I do believe we should have that sense of community brought together. We should have a government that wants to ensure we are remembering our ans acts and living on in their image and appreciating the fact that we have our democracy and the ability to criticize our politicians as well.
Speaker 3: That's everything that they fought for as well.
Speaker 15: But I don't think that the government should pick winners and losers as do who can and cannot trade. So, you know, on one hand, I think what they're trying to do is beautiful and I respect it and I love it because I pay my own tribute to our diggers, winners and losers.
Speaker 3: The government shouldn't at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I get that, but you know, just Phil, I want to go back to you just one more time on this because it does seem to me, like you know, there is this constant attempt to make every public holiday like every other day and take anything special out of the calendar. But you know, we all know every society, every nation, every faith, whatever, has a calendar. There are special days where you do and don't do certain things. I mean, Phil, do you think that this is one of those things where you know, we really need to do more to protect this day and possibly other you know, days that I don't want to say sacred because it's not religious, but that are important for us and bring us all together as Austrains wherever in the world we come from.
Speaker 14: I do, I really do, because it is one of our most important days in the national calendar, where we reflect on those who pay the ultimate sacrifice in war, those to succumb to their war within here back in home so and to the families that have carried a great burden.
Speaker 1: I reflect on my mates.
Speaker 14: That were killed overseas, and I spend a day with them and having a beer and remembering and laughing and crying and going through a big ball of emotions. And I think where we need to bring this nation back too closer together, teach it in schools, why we respect it. We don't encourage public servants to opt in and opt out of different days what they can can and can't take off, because I think it waters down the significance.
Speaker 1: The of ANTAC Day.
Speaker 14: I support the move and in the garrison city of Townshill, our whole city stands still, It pauses, it reflects, and we all come together as one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, look, I think you're right, and I think you know, we will get to the situation where as the fight against Australia Day continues, they're going to struggle into that next front, which is going to be ANZAC Day. But want to move on to another issue here, which is shadow indigenus, mister sider Price, and she has outlined bold plans for an advancement movement in Indigenous affairs to take things beyond the voice. And she's said that this movement is about a second wave for real reconciliation and integration. Phil just to stay with you, do you think that she is onto something with this advancement movement?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 14: And I met with the Palm Island Council just recently and we're talking about closing the gap. And I'm very clear in my view around it. And I don't think politicians close the gap. I think they create the framework and the communities do it. I don't want to see fly and fly out workers into remote communities. I want to see empowerment and growth and training and skills all developed locally to empower and support their communities.
Speaker 1: I think that Jacinna's plan is good. It will be teased out and developed well.
Speaker 14: And I know that the communities around my patch and into the north, you know, they don't always like having people fly and fly it.
Speaker 1: They want to do the jobs too.
Speaker 14: They want to work, they want to make money, they want to spend it where they choose to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Look, Christy, that's just a really interesting point. And I think, you know, as a libertarian, i'd love to get your views on this because there's so much money thrown around and regulation by government and trying to tell people what they can and can't do. Is there a case to be made that the government is maybe getting too much in the way of Indigenous advancement in some cases?
Speaker 15: James, if you have to ask me if the government's getting too much in the way.
Speaker 3: My answer is always going to be yes. Yeah, Aha.
Speaker 15: The government is the problem in nearly every situation that we face. But it's amazing to have someone like just Enterprise out there. She's incredibly phenomenal and looking at.
Speaker 3: Her pathway forward after the voyee.
Speaker 15: Not only did it make a plan for the Aboriginal community and how to empower them in their own communities to want to contribute, but it also outlined how there would be unity with our Indigenous Australians and non Indigenous Australians, which I think is beautiful. That's leadership because we're not seeing that from our politicians. We continue to get this divisiveness. So yes, I think the government is the problem. They should butt out and if there's anyone that probably has the best way to look at it, or a different perspective that might work for once.
Speaker 3: It is probably just enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think you're right. She's an absolute legend and absolute hero, I think to so many people in this country for the works it's done on this But Christian, let me stay with you. Just shift gears. I mean, because this is a bit of a depressing story out of Queensland, out of the Courier mail, and I'm sure this is being replicated in states and territories across this nation. Apparently twenty thousand people in Queensland are now being forced to sell their properties, sell their homes because they cannot afford with the interest rates the cost of living. What are your reactions to this number, and particularly as you see the government doing so many things to drive up inflation with the big spending and to increase the cost of living.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm sure that Victoria will give Queensland a run for its money soon. I'm a Victorian and I can tell you that it's just as bad down here in terms of the situation that we find ourselves in with housing. We have over regulation in the housing market, we have permits on top of permits, taxes on top of materials, government intervention consistently. So there's another one, James, where the government should get out of the way because they are the problem. But the thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that it is the voting public's fault that we're in this situation.
Speaker 3: To be completely honest.
Speaker 15: And at the risk of you never inviting me back into this shuttle, the problem is not a smashed avocado on toast, and it's not you know, coffee before work every morning that you purchase from the cafe. The problem is that people stick their head in the stand and go politics makes me too mad, Politics gets me too upset, Sorry, don't pay attention. And then they take that apathy to the ballot box. And then we have politicians that give us that apathy in our life, and now we are reaping what we.
Speaker 2: Saw well indeed, But Phil, I want to ask you too, your Queen's lad, what is the situation? Is it really as dire as the Caurier Avail is reporting. There are these numbers accurate? Are they? You know? Understanding the problem? Tell us about what you're hearing from your constituents.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so I think the courier mail has hit the nail on the head here. They're probably been a bit more cautious with the numbers than they could be in towns or. We have a very low rental market, impossible to get into, hard.
Speaker 1: To house here.
Speaker 14: And you know, if you look around the country, you've got elbow and gym high five in each other going. You know, the budgets, you know back in black.
Speaker 1: And we're doing great well.
Speaker 14: The household budget's not and the household budget's doing it tough. And you've got Steven Miles, the Queenslane Premier, spending money like a drunken sailor, and it is compounding, is hurting people.
Speaker 1: The housing market.
Speaker 14: Is nearly at market failure in the North, and I think that there needs to be a much bigger focus. And I agree politicians absolutely are the problem, and we need to get governments out of your way, not in your way.
Speaker 2: And I think you know it's not just spending like a drunken sailor. I'd uprated and say he's spending money like a drunken yachtsman. Anyway, Phil Kristen, don't go anywhere. You don't go. Why we're either going to be back with a lot more talk, a lot more debate after the break. Good evening. James here sitting in for Paul Murray live here on the program. We've got Philip Thompson, We've got kristin here talking all about all these different isitions today, Phil, I want to start with you. We've got a big issue here. We know that Australia's defense forces probably aren't getting quite as much equipment as they need. The defense procurement has been a bit of shambles over the past few years, but there has been an announcement that troops will be equipped with a new lightweight drone called a Switchblade drone. We're going to get a small number of these. I think dron warfare has been an issue and something we've seen quite some time. Here are our troops getting the equipment that they need to fight the next generation of combat, which is going to involve, as we already see in places like Ukraine, an awful lot of this sort of kit.
Speaker 1: No, simply neithery're not and not quick enough.
Speaker 14: And I don't mind looking abroad for different equipment that we don't have here. But we have the ability to manufacture drones in Australia and we need to be serious about what these drones are.
Speaker 1: They are lethal bits of kit.
Speaker 14: They are there to create damage on the battlefield, protect our people. Whether they're kamakazi or they're dropping any sort of ordinance, they're there to kill the enemy. I'm not opposed to the switchblade and to looking abroad and doing things like that, but I do think we need to have our own defense industry and our own base here growing and developing and working side by side and closely with the soldiers because they're already in country, to see what they want and how it will work for them, so they can be the most lethal on the battlefield if the time arises.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think we often miss and it feels like sometimes a defense bureaucracy seems to miss the point here that the point of the defense forces is to kill the enemy, take the battle to them and protect Australia and our interests. And I think sometimes it just feels like speak social work bureaucracy and they don't sometimes seem to get it. We don't have a lot of time. Christ NASA will ask you about this report of the Australian about the hospitality industry. Again, we have this issue with the government money and the cost of living. We've got a huge number of cafes and restaurants now at the brink of collapse, with the number of companies going bus ninety percent higher than they were ten years ago in twenty thirteen fourteen. What's the solution to this? Quickly get rid of the government.
Speaker 15: To be honest, Let's reduce the size of government. Let's reduce restrictions, cut taxes and let businesses thrive. Because right now, the reason why hospitality is failing and every other industry across Australia is finding it hard to survive is because of government intervention, their taxes and their overregulation.
Speaker 3: So slash it and we'll fix it.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, that's pretty much, very very fairly set here. Now, I want to talk to you about finally getting opinion. I want you both pick me a winner on this. I know christ and you don't like to pick winners, but we're gonna pick a winner here. Donald Trump has challenged Joe Biden to a round of golf. How look at this then.
Speaker 16: The debate, Sleepy Joe also declared that he wanted to test his skills and stamina against mine on.
Speaker 2: The golf course.
Speaker 10: Can you believe this?
Speaker 2: Did you ever see him swing?
Speaker 16: I'm also officially challenging cricket Joe to an eighteen hole golf match right here.
Speaker 10: I will give him ten strokes aside, and if.
Speaker 16: He wins, I will give the charity of his choice, any charity that he wants, one million dollars.
Speaker 2: Phil, let's start with you million dollar golf challenge for charity. Who do you rean is gonna win? In ten seconds? Joe Bider, Donald Trump? Who wins that one?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 1: I think Donald Trump wins.
Speaker 14: Joy Barden can't walk on a stage without falling over or up a fly of stairs, a ride a pushbike. So my money would be behind Donald Trump to absolutely walk the floor with him in their golf.
Speaker 2: Match, even with ten strokes. Here, Christen, I know we're off the libertarian topic here, but who wins the golf match between sleepy Joe and Big Don?
Speaker 15: Look, it's going to be Big Don for me, but they're both subpart to me, James.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, We're gonna have to leave it there. Thank you guys so much, Phil, Tims, Christiansten, so much of your time. Thanks to Joe Hildebrand Brown Bishop and thank you for watching tonight. Paul Real Live, Stay tuned Late Debate is next