Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health. If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something's off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root cause of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Jasmina and incredible Integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer the questions such as why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed or insulin resistant? Or missing out on key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. So at the start of the school term, I put together some new healthy habits for me and for the family, so you know, really simple ones, things like I set us a family goal of only one takeaway meal on the weekends.
Speaker 2: Which is actually a lot harder than it might sound.
Speaker 1: I also set myself a goal that I wanted to do one yoga class on the weekends. I'm so stiff as a board, and I just keep putting off yoga. I love yoga, so I'm like, yes, I can easily find a spare hour on the weekend, you know, just the other ones, the usual culprits of you know, less screen time for the kids, etc. So we have been off and running, and it's been going really well. That last week, Tim went away. He's gone away for two weeks. And I got to Friday afternoon and he'd only been gone at that point, like three or four days.
Speaker 2: I've still got a while to go.
Speaker 1: As I record this, he went away and I got to Friday afternoon and I was just done. I had food in the fridge ready to cook for dinner, nice healthy.
Speaker 2: Did I cook that healthy meal?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Did I order chargrul Charlie's over Uberroots?
Speaker 1: Yes? Did I get to my yoga class on the weekend? There was time for it. It was a really busy weekend, but there was time. On Saturday afternoon I could have gone.
Speaker 2: Did I go to yoga?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Did I lay on the couch and watch.
Speaker 1: Trash TV for a couple of hours, yes, And I just got to the end of the weekend, the kids had spent more time on screens than I had intended.
Speaker 2: And I just thought, ugh, Amelia, what have you done?
Speaker 1: Like you actually did have all the ducks lined up to have a good, healthy weekend and to hit these new healthy goals that you kind of set for you and the family.
Speaker 2: But honestly, I just I felt too overwhelmed. I was just done. And now I look back and I think, what could I have done differently?
Speaker 3: Was that okay?
Speaker 2: Maybe it was okay, but I just thought what happens when we just feel too overwhelmed to change? This is healthy her with Amelia Phillips.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had the best of intentions to make that healthy change, only to get to crunch time and just feel too overwhelmed or maybe too exhausted to follow through? Or maybe you've made the change. You start the year of so well, You're exercising regularly, you're doing your strength training, you're eating your protein, you're eating well, only to get a few months in and the overwhelm of life just zaps any motivation you had. This struggle is real, my friend, I see it, I hear it all the time. I experience it in my own life. Yet some women do manage to strike that balance to make healthy changes stick amidst the chaos of life. I'll never forget watching politician Julie Bishop jogging around Parliament House on this cold, dark, rainy morning before a huge day of media engagements in questioning, and remember watching her jogging and then seeing all these media clips and this huge day she'd had.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking to myself.
Speaker 1: If anyone had an excuse for skipping their workout today, it would have been her.
Speaker 2: But what made her show up?
Speaker 1: What made her do that early morning, cold dark run before such a stressful day. What is the answer when we are feeling that wired yet tired sense of overwhelm, What is going on in our brains? And how can we override it or maybe even work with it to still make the healthy changes that we want. To help us navigate this tricky task, I am joined by world leading habit change expert Gena Cleo. Doctor Gina has a PhD in habit change. She's an assistant professor at Bond University. She's also an accredited dietitian and the founder of the Habit Change Institute who I love the sound of that. She's written the best selling book, The Habit Revolution, and she runs courses through her Habit Change Institute. Do you really help us transform our productivity, our health, our mindset, and our lifestyle habits not just short term but long term, doctor Gina, thank you so much for joining us Onhealthy Herd today.
Speaker 3: So good to be with you, Amelia, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: When someone says I'm just too overwhelmed to even start, what is actually going on in our brain at that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we're overwhelmed prefrontal cortex, the logical part of our brain, the one that's responsible for planning, decision making, and self control, it's essentially going offline. We shift into survival mode. And you know that survival mode makes it really hard to start something new or to create a new healthy habit. And survival mode is very much run by a stress response. It's not laziness or a lack of willpower. It's neurobiology. The brain is literally prioritizing threat management over long term goal pursuits. And that's actually a really important reframe I think for so many of us who can be a little bit hard on ourselves.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, I love that, Like I've just had a full brain unlock when you said that that this is actually a stress response, and to think of it in that way straight away from me, because I've had such a raw experience of it. It's literally, we're recording this on a Monday, and I'm talking to you about something that happened yesterday. Over this last weekend, I have had a lot of shame around it, you know, because of my expectations not being met. But when you just said it's actually a stress response straight away, I go, oh, poor darling, poor me, How good.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad to give you that gift because I really do see it like that, that self compassion, that understanding of our brain, I think can be the most liberating thing. And yeah, oh it's beautiful that. Oh my gosh, we're like five minutes in and here we are having a great time already.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I know. All right, let's just wrap the episode up. Now we're done. I'm done.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go away, and no, no, no, no, no, please stay stay because I want to talk about overwhelmed, because it's funny. I often think of overwhelm as a time issue.
Speaker 3: It's just like I've got too much on.
Speaker 1: But interestingly, and using my example again from the weekend, I actually can't use it as an excuse because I have been very organized and I did have the food in the fridge, and I did have the time. So if it's not a time issue, is it a cognitive load issue or is it that stress issue that you were just talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is mostly a cognitive load thing. You can give someone a completely free Saturday, like you said you had time on your Saturday afternoon, but you can give them all the time in the world and they will still feel overwhelmed if their mental bandwidth is maxed out. The thing with our cognitive resources is it's finite. We don't have an unlimited amount of it each day. And modern life like mental load of a family, work, making decisions, digital noise, all of these things actually drain that tank fast and like faster than when we were living I guess in caves like in natural times. And this is rarely you know, a real barrier. It's mental space. And when we have less cognitive capacity, we will feel more and more overwhelmed, even by the tiniest.
Speaker 1: Things in the work that you do. Do you see and mums in particular, because my audience is predominantly mums. Do you see the cognitive and emotional load of parenthood underrepresented and under recognized as a stressor and as something that takes up so much load? Because sometimes we can get to the end of the day, my husband says to me, well, you know, so let's talk about what you accomplished today, you know, in a work sense, because we work together and sometimes my list is very small. But on a cognitive and emotional level, I've you know, talked three children off the ledge of a meltdown, or I've you know, scheduled so many things. Do you feel for a lot of parents that that can be really underrepresented?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it's in themselves. It's not realizing even how much self regulation it takes to wrangle three children to make sure that they're you know, not pulling each other's hair out, and that they're eating on time and all these things. It's constant. It is relentless, and when you look at it from a productivity lens, it doesn't look like you achieved all that much, but actually it's kind of like a duck and your little legs are just being like non stop under the water, doing all the things and doing it while regulating your own nervous system through it all, and that's huge.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Challenge for a lot of us mums is that we really want to continue to grow and improve and evolve as a person.
Speaker 2: We've got our health goals.
Speaker 1: A lot of us are entering that perimenopause and menopause period. So we have these habits that we want to change. We want to make new, healthier habits. Maybe we want to break some old habits. What's the best way to go about this? Like, are we better off just having a table flip moment and having a clean slate and just starting a whole bunch of new habits at once, or is that going to be something that backfires?
Speaker 2: How do you, as a habit.
Speaker 1: Change expert, suggest us mums in this big cognitive load and stress period of life, tackles this healthy habit change that we want to make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first thing is to start so so small, so small it feels like you can't say no to doing it, and when you think of that, make it even smaller. Like I worked with someone who hadn't exercise in decades and his task was just to put his sneakers on first thing in the morning. That's it. That's all I wanted him to do. And once he did that, it obviously then cascaded into walking out to his letterbox and then down the road and round the corner and run the block, and it went to bigger and better things. But the entry point, like the first time we do anything, is usually the hardest, right. It's the first yoga class, the first time you eat kale, the first time you decide to put your phone down and get to bed on time. It's always the first. And so if we can reduce the barrier to entry by making that first step so achievable, that is how we win. That is how we move forward. And I would also say, just pick one thing. It's so easy to have this like list of ambitions, like you know, I want to excize more and eat better and save more money and yell at my kids less. So like there's all these like wonderful ambitions, great goals. But one of the most common reasons why we fall off the wagon is because we try to do too many things at once, and changing our habits is all about consistency, not intensity. And so when you're trying to do too many things. You don't get the consistency in there because it's impossible to do that many things in one day all the time, and so you lose use the momentum and the consistency of some of the habits, and then when we're falling off the wagon, we feel like we're failures and it's really icky cycle. So just focus on one thing at a time, write it down and just focus on that, and then use a habit tracker every single time you do it. Give yourself a little tick on a habit tracker, just like you would give a child a tick for or like a gold star for doing their chores. We don't grow out of that reward learning as adults. So that little tick gives you a nice head of dopamine. It feels great, and it makes you want to do it again. What's a habit tracker? So habit tracker is essentially like think of a diary and it's like a grid and essent to you just write down what the habit is that you want to create or do, and you give yourself a tick on every day of the calendar month or year or week that you actually do the habit. So it's just like a little like check, yeah, I did it. And you use paper based ones, and there's app based ones. I've got a whole list of all the app one of the blogs on my website.
Speaker 2: Well, I might get you to pop that link.
Speaker 1: You send me that link, and I'll pop that habit tracker link in the show notes if anyone wants a fun little app. Because I do agree with you these elements of positive reinforcement can make a difference. And do you believe in setting a weekly intention, like at the start of the week, kind of sitting down and really particularly with the new habit, the habit you're trying to make or the habit you're trying to break, consciously going okay, this week, I'm going to put my sneakers on three mornings a week or something like that. Yeah, and look and might that intention might be the same week and week out. It's not necessarily have you don't have to make it bigger and better every time, but it is about being conscious about it and aware of it.
Speaker 2: So if you have to stick your habit tracker, you know, on.
Speaker 3: Your fridge, or put it the app on the first page of your phone, if that's where you're going, If you can use a digital version. Yeah, you need to be aware of but because at the start creating any new habit, sometimes we forget, We just like get, we just do what we've always done, and we forget to do the thing that we actually said we would do. So those little reminders do help those little intentional moments. But once it starts becoming more organic and more natural, you probably.
Speaker 1: Don't need to set the intention every week. Again, Yeah, because I've heard that a huge proportioning possibly even up to forty or fifty percent of our daily habits are habitual. And so once something shifts from that new into the habitual category, that's when it becomes effortless or at least not as effortful. So I imagine if you've been doing the same thing now for a few weeks, hopefully that kind of ticks the box of being Okay, well, now this is a habit.
Speaker 3: I'll move on to.
Speaker 1: Something like For me, exercise totally easy. I wake up, I exercise my five days a week, no problem. Adding a yoga class on a Saturday that's totally new to me. I'm still getting my head around the yoga places I'm going to. Where's my yoga MAT's dusty in the garage. It's still it requires the effort, But get me to a five am CrossFit class and I'm there with bells on.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it. And it's actually up to seventy percent of everything we do every day is completely habitual and trying to do something new use as cognitive energy, right, uses mental resources, and so when we're overwhelmed or exhausted, that's the last thing we want to do. It feels like too much sometimes.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get realancewers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something's off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root cause of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctorasmina and incredible Integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer the questions such as why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed or insulin resistant or missing out on key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three to sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. So, then what's the answer when we are in this busy season of life and we do have a lot going on, how do we navigate this tricky time of trying to make these healthy habits but they're not wanting to add to the stress and the load of it all. It feels like such a delicate balance.
Speaker 3: It definitely is. And you know, I actually say to people, when you're really stressed, I don't think it's a very good time to create new habits because those two parts of our brain don't work at the same time, the learning centers and the stress centers. They don't work simultaneously. So if you're really really stressed, your learning centers are shut down. You are in survival mode. So if it's more like an overwhelm or you feel stuck, exhausted, a little bit behind, then I would say to just stop. Seriously, just pause, do a cognitive offload, write down everything that's taking up mental space, and then ask yourself, what's the one health behavior that we have the biggest ripple effect on everything else. Usually it's going to be sleep. I was just.
Speaker 1: Thinking that, and interestingly, it's what I have been struggling with that just this last week because hab he's been away, I've been having to go to bed a lot later, and I'm like, is it any coincidence that my sleep has not been good and therefore, yeah, my care factor disappeared.
Speaker 3: It's not coincidence at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean when you don't sep well, I feel like nothing goes well. Yeah, Like we just can't emotionally regulate as well. We're craving foods that we don't normally crave. We're less active, We're literally like our body will be less. We just want to sit down more because we're just more tired. We just get less shits about anything. Really, We're just like just like just getting through it. So I would definitely, I've been sleep is like the most underrated health habit ever. But I would just pick You'd pick that one thing, not a whole program and not a big plan, just one thing, and that's going to be your entry point back into that looking after yourself again.
Speaker 1: And if you're feeling a little bit strung out like I am at the moment, then, is what you're saying, Sleep's a great place to start because if you take that little bit of cognitive effort and organization to go to bed earlier, for example, that for me is my fix when it comes to sleep, that will hopefully then have a ripple effect once I've slept well for a few nights to then give me the motivation and the energy to maybe make some other changes or at least not feel so overwhelmed you feel like that's the best bang for buck exactly.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it. It has got such a nice ripple effect, and it happens organically, you don't have to force it.
Speaker 1: And just circling back to that tiny habits approach that you're talking about. The example you gave was just putting your active where on, just putting your sneakers on and seeing where that goes.
Speaker 2: Can it also play out across the week.
Speaker 1: So, for example, say someone's trying to eat less sugar or trying to prevent that after dinner snacking, and the thought of doing that forever every single night just feels like it's too much. Would a tiny method of that be I'm just going to do it on a Monday and Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: Alcohol is another example.
Speaker 1: I'm just not going to drink on a Monday and a Tuesday night for someone that drinks seven nights a week. Is that another example of kind of bringing these habits down to their simplest forms.
Speaker 3: Spot on. Yeah, it could be reducing the frequency that you do it. It could be the intensity. So I'm going to drink less each night, or I'm going to drink less on these two nights. It's really just about doing a tiny bit less of the habit you don't want to do, or a tiny bit more of the habit that you do want to do. Rather than looking at overhauling you know, your whole life, well, the whole habit itself. It's just about these subtle, little shifts that are just gentle. They don't feel like they're doing much, but they really are. They are telling your brain I'm someone who shows up, who can look after myself, who does the things that I say that I will do, And that sense of the change of identity is really powerful.
Speaker 1: It's so good to hear you say this because I think, particularly with our diet and eating, there is a lot of all or nothing mentality going on, where it's like, Okay, I'm on the diet, I'm on this eating pattern, and everything is going to change my breakfast, my lunch, my dinner, the foods I choose, the foods I don't, which when you think about how many food choices we make in a day, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's over two hundred over.
Speaker 1: Two hundred food choices in a day. But for a lot of us, eighty to ninety percent of our eating is probably pretty good. There might just be that, you know, for me, it was always the after dinner. The sweet treats after dinner just had such a hold over me up until about a year ago, and so that was my point and area that I really needed to focus on. Everything else seemed to be fine. So is that another example of really whittling it down to that one part of your diet for example?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Yeah, it's just one thing. Like instead of saying, oh, I'm going to like cook every night, it might just be I'm going to choose one healthy swap or I'm going to drink one extra glass of water today. It's the time I'm going to add greens to my dinner on one night this week, or however much feels achievable to you. And every person's starting point is going to be different because all of our capacities are different, and also within each person, our capacity changes week to week, and so I think creating dynamic goals is really important. It's like, yeah, I want to do this, but like for you Amelia, for example, your husband's away for a couple of weeks, your capacity is going to be less at the moment, and so your goals may change throughout that time, Like, yes, I really wanted to go to yoga, but man, I think I just needed to rest. Even though I had the time, I obviously didn't really have the capacity. So it's just moving things around and always leading with compassion.
Speaker 1: Oh that's such a good point, and I actually want to get you on another episode if that's okay, to talk about the shame spiral, because it is definitely something that I see a lot of women go through and I experience it myself. I wanted to ask you about the all or nothing mentality that so many of us have, particularly if we're a bit of a perfectionist. How do you suggest we tackled in a voice that says, well, if I can't do it properly. If I can't go and do the whole yoga class or the whole workout, then what's the point in putting my shoes on in the first place?
Speaker 2: Why even bother? If I'm not going to do it?
Speaker 1: Really well, what do you say to an all or nothing mentality like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh, man, I recognized that voice all too well because I was a chronic all or nothing person. Really, oh, big time in all.
Speaker 1: Areas of your life, or you like a bit of a high achiever, a bit of a perfectionist.
Speaker 3: Many died in exercise.
Speaker 1: Died an exercise, okay, didn't exercise?
Speaker 3: Was it like died a specifically? I would like when I was younger, and I was I was twenty kilos heavier than I am now, and I would like write myself this meal plan. I was a dietitian before I studied habit I saw that. I was like, yes, she's perfect for this episode. Oh awesome, And you know, I'd write myself a meal plan. And if I even had like an apple that wasn't on the meal plan, it would be like right ruin the day maize or bingee emotionally eat the rest of the day and I'll start tomorrow, or sometimes I'll be like I'll start on Monday and then ruin the entire week, which is just outrageous. Think it's really important to recognize it as cognitive distortion. It's not truth that all nothing voice is essentially trying to protect you from failure by keeping you from trying. But the research shows that any dose of a healthy behavior is better than none. You know, like a ten minute walk is still good for your heart, a healthy meal still matters. So we reframe the question from did I do it perfectly? To did I do something? Something is all always better than nothing every single time, and making that the goal that I showed up, that I took the first step, that I did something different, because that's still pretty hard to do.
Speaker 1: I love that, and don't think as well, if you look backwards on your progression and the achievements you've made historically, you look back.
Speaker 3: And go, I have made some progress. I mean, look at you.
Speaker 1: You you know, your twenty kilos lighter compared to back then. And for me, I look at my habits now compared to even eighteen months ago, and they're so much healthier than they were.
Speaker 3: I find that retrospectively going on.
Speaker 1: Actually, I am like those those habits that didn't seem like a lot. Now I've been doing them for a while, they are really paying off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean you mentioned before that you'll get up exercise easy, like it's just something that you do. I'm sure your life wasn't always like that. It's something that you created intentionally, and now it's just like part of who you are and what you do. And it's exactly the same with me. I live a lifestyle now that maintains these healthy habits, and I don't have to grind through it anymore. It's just something that I do because of consistency and not because of all or nothing. It's not about intensity ever, It's just about showing up gently.
Speaker 1: So if you were my habit change coach and I came to you and said, you know, I had these great intentions and then I had this weekend that I just had and completely fell off the wagon or whatever it might they, how would you kind of coach me through that and get me, I guess, back on track and also prevent something like that happening again.
Speaker 3: Well, firstly, I'd remind you that setbacks are part of the process. It's not if you fall off the wagon, it's when you fall off the wagon. It's inevitable. And it took me a long time to really get in my head because I'm like, no setbacks are optional, Like we make the choice not to do the thing that we said that we would do. But also life be lifing, Like sometimes life just happens, right, and you have a Saturday afternoon when you're free and you don't go to yoga, Like it's just what happens. Sometimes it's all about viewing those setbacks as data, as stepping stones, Like I think of Thomas Edison right, who invented the light bulb. Homeboy took a thousand attempts at creating the light bulb. That's a lot of failures, but he so famously said to a journalist who asked him how to feel, he was like, I didn't fail a thousand times. The light bulb is just an invention with a thousand steps. And that kind of mentality is everything, because the most successful people in the world also fall off the wagon on their habits. We might not see it, but I could guarantee you one hundred percent that they do. The difference between the people that succeed and the people that don't. Is that the people that succeed know how to get up after a setback and have that, you know, Thomas Edison mentality of I'm going to try again. I just go again. I just get up and I keep going. And it's all about how quickly you get up and not letting yourself fall. Like when you fall, it's not a complete relapse, it's just data. You just have a bit of compassion and you'd start again. So that's what I would say to you, like, I hope you had a great weekend, now let's begin again. I love that.
Speaker 1: And I think, coupled with the reframe of it being related to a stressor, that this overwhelm is like a stressor as you mentioned at the start, rather than you know, just a moment of lack of willpower or laziness or all those other words that we tend to throw around in our inner voice. I really see that as a big step in compassion, which I think so many of us really really need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed, So.
Speaker 1: Doctor Gina, For a woman listening today who is feeling overwhelmed, she's feeling defeated, and she wants to start again, what is the one thing that she could do this week, you know, not next month, this week to help regain her momentum again.
Speaker 3: I would say to pick one habit, just one, and make it so small almost feel silly, and then do it every day for at least a week, so seven days. Don't add anything, don't optimize it, you don't try to improve it. The idea is just to prove to yourself that you can show up consistently, because what overwhelm steals most is your belief in yourself. And the only way to get back is through small, repeated evidence that you do follow through. So just one week, one habit, and that's it, Doctor Gina.
Speaker 1: I just love your simplistic method because it just feels so achievable and so doable. I'm like, yes, I can do that. I can do this one small thing. Thank you so much for your time today. Oh thanks for having me. What a pleasure. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something's off, well you're not imagining it.
Speaker 3: That's why I created Vitality three p.
Speaker 1: Sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root cause of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Jasmina and incredible Integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer the questions such as why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed or insulin resistant? Or missing out on key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more