Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on Gadigal land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past and present.
Speaker 1: Always was, always will be Aboriginal land. I'm Brittany Saunders.
Speaker 2: And I'm all right. Hey, and this is High Scrollers, the podcast version of your favorite group chat.
Speaker 3: We've been sharing our lives online for over 10 years. So who better to catch you up on everything that's going viral?
Speaker 2: And we talk a lot about ourselves as well. And today, spoiler alert, something terrible has happened about five minutes ago in this studio. And I've ruined everything, Scrollers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What a nightmare.
Speaker 1: You have fucked up.
Speaker 2: We will get stuck into that straight away. Plus... We talk about making mistakes and trying to rectify them 10 years later. Also, I found a festival in America that I am low-key obsessed with. But then again, Britney very easily changes my mind and opens my eyes to how fucked up it actually is. Deal me in, doll. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: It's not a good morning, scrollers.
Speaker 1: We've got an announcement to make.
Speaker 2: I have devastating news. I have really devastating news. So we were just, I was just getting dressed to do this podcast episode. And as you know, the last couple of weeks, I've booked a trip somewhere and we're meant to be guessing where the trip is. And each week I've been given Brittany clues and things like that. And we're trying to get closer and closer to find out where I'm going. Well, as we were just preparing for this, I wanted to give Brittany the heads up and remind her that she needs to come up with a yes or no question to ask me, right? To figure out where I'm going. And I'm standing here putting my jacket on, zipping it up. And let's just say, because Brittany's already guessed India. Let's just say this is how the scenario... I'm going to reenact it again.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's not India, everyone.
Speaker 2: It's not India. But that was Brittany's first guess, I think. But as I was standing there doing my jacket up, I was looking in the mirror. Obviously, I'm a little tired. I'm a little out of it. And I literally go, and Britt, don't forget, you've got to ask a question about India.
Speaker 1: And he said... And I.
Speaker 2: Said where I was going and stopped halfway through the country that I'm going to.
Speaker 3: I honestly think this is a good thing that I now know because... The place that it is was going to be my next guess anyway. I almost said it in the last episode, but I didn't. And so if I had guessed it today, you would have then had to have said yes, that's it.
Speaker 2: And it would be over.
Speaker 1: The game would be over.
Speaker 3: So we thought, even though I now know, let's make this a game for the scrollers.
Speaker 2: Like, honestly, I feel sick. I'm so disappointed in myself. I can't believe it. It just slipped out. And I didn't think Brittany heard it and I knew Gay J heard it. And I was like, Gay J, shut your mouth. And Brittany's like, no, I heard it too.
Speaker 3: So, but let's just keep it going. Because I think this is a fun game.
Speaker 2: For the scrollers to guess. But we have to reveal. Brittany and Gay J now know. So I don't think you're going to be able to ask a yes or no question, but maybe you can ask a yes or no question and it still will narrow it down.
Speaker 1: Let's see how this goes.
Speaker 4: I thought, why don't we choose a question from the listeners each week?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let's go. I'm going to go back and see if I can find people asking on the episode and in the chat.
Speaker 1: Guess where Matt's going?
Speaker 2: So, someone said, should ask if going northern or southern hemisphere.
Speaker 1: So, we've established that it is the southern hemisphere.
Speaker 2: Someone said as well the time of year. So, ask what season he's going.
Speaker 1: Well, you said you're going this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this year's basically half over.
Speaker 2: We've still got spring and summer. True. Also, I did see a comment as well. Someone said in the comment section that. Someone commented saying, I just came here to say pecan. What does that mean? Did one of you, like, say, if you've listened to the episode, say pecan? Like, where did pecan come from?
Speaker 1: Is that your word of the Segway Olympics?
Speaker 2: No, which we are also doing in this episode. We should probably explain that.
Speaker 1: I don't know what pecan means.
Speaker 2: I don't know it either.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we're playing the Segway Olympics today, and Gay J will now insert a little clip of him saying what our words are.
Speaker 2: Okay, scholars.
Speaker 5: Matt's word is elephant and Britt's word is charisma.
Speaker 1: And so we haven't played this game for a little while, but it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yes. Basically, if you don't know the Segway Olympics, we got this from Bob and Monet's podcast. And basically, Gay J has given us a word each and we have to incorporate it somewhere throughout this episode. But we also have to call each other out and try and figure out what the word is. And so... Once we say the word, the other person has to jump in. And I know I'm going to be terrible at this because clearly I'm so terrible. I revealed where I was bloody going. So I'm not even on board with myself today. So that'll be good. Any other questions? Gay J, have you seen any questions that we can narrow it down from the scrollers in the chat? Oh, and I need to give a clue. I need to give a clue.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's your next?
Speaker 2: Oh, wait, no, I have a, I have a question. Well, I was going to give that as a clue anyway, but I did see a question. Someone did make a good, And they said, is it just one flight or do you have to have a connecting flight? And I thought that would be, then I was going to make that the clue.
Speaker 3: But I feel like most places out of Australia, it's like most of the time you needed two flights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true.
Speaker 1: Like it's pretty direct flights are pretty rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think, wait, so what's your clue?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't get that far because... Well, the clue is, because what I wanted to do was give you a little bit more context as to more of the geographical location, right?
Speaker 3: And so our clue so far is you're not excited about the food situation.
Speaker 2: Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: You want us to think outside the box.
Speaker 4: Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: Was that it? That's the clues.
Speaker 2: And the other clues were I've never been there before.
Speaker 1: And you're going this year?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes. Well, your clue of the week is there's water involved. Okay. That's everyone's clue of the week, so... Get thinking because, you know, some people were thinking like, I don't know, someone gets Mount Everest. We're cancelling that. I will 100% give you a bonus clue and say it's not climbing Mount Everest.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So what's your yes or no question? But then it's hard because Brittany knows where I am. But now you're team scrollers. Okay.
Speaker 3: So how about I won't ask questions anymore. It's just going to turn into a game of clues.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's enough though? I think people are going to need more than like one clue a week, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's ask a listener question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Have we got any?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got one right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go, go, go.
Speaker 4: So Sophie has asked, are you packing swimwear in your luggage?
Speaker 2: Yes. Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, there's your clue, scrollers, and your question. Leave a comment on the episode on Spotify, please. I'm a Spotify girlie.
Speaker 2: Fabulous.
Speaker 1: Through and through, and I know.
Speaker 6: And if anyone sees me out and about in the wild, don't you dare ask me to my face.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: If I'm out for dinner and a scroller says hello and they're going to go, where's Matt going?
Speaker 1: I'm not telling you. I'm going to be rude and I'm going to say no. So don't ask. And if I've had a few drinks.
Speaker 2: Just say India. India. You said you had another present for me this week.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah. Well, it was actually a gift to me.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: But I thought you might like it more than me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's a hat.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: And it's this hat.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to close my eyes? No.
Speaker 1: It's a Newcastle hat.
Speaker 2: Which I love and who gifted this to you?
Speaker 1: Newcastle Airport.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 1: So, here you go.
Speaker 2: Do more than Sydney. Thank you.
Speaker 3: So, Newey Airport. Has Newey merch. And I just thought that is the funniest thing ever.
Speaker 2: I've got to make that a bit bigger.
Speaker 1: And this is a fun turquoise hat.
Speaker 2: Fun turquoise.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What color is that to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just white.
Speaker 4: White.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that look good?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How are the optics for on camera? Am I like still lit up enough? Am I able to wear this the whole?
Speaker 5: Could you lift it higher because you're shadowing your face?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Rep the Newey merch.
Speaker 2: Does that look stupid?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No. If anyone sees a social clip of me in this, they're just going to be like, why is he wearing that Newcastle airport hat?
Speaker 1: Well, you can't even see the logo because it's white.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Do you know what turquoise looks like?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 1: Did you just say turquoise?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: How do you say that word?
Speaker 2: Turquoise? Yeah, that's better. Turquoise.
Speaker 5: You would have no idea what turquoise is.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me that you're not even enjoying Fortnite and all the colors that it has.
Speaker 2: No, but I've told you before about the Kim Kardashian outfit. Do you remember that? No. So I turned on colorblind settings because you can turn on colorblind settings because basically the guns have different levels. So you can find the same gun five times, but it could be a gray gun or a green gun or a blue or a purple or a gold in that's in respective order. So obviously if you've got a gray gun and you find a gold gun, you want to swap it out for the gold one. Yeah. But when you're colorblind, you can't tell. So when I play, I actually have to, cause when you like hover over the gun that you find on the ground, let's say, um, it'll tell you what it is. Like it'll say legendary, which is the goal, which is like, it deals the most damage. It's the best one to use. So I was doing that. And each time I have to read, but obviously in this game, like you've got to be fast. So for people who can tell the colors, like you just pick it up and go, whereas I have to pause and be like, Oh, it's a legendary one. Cause the green, which is like the bottom second, last level, and the gold look exactly the same, and then the blue and the purple look exactly the same. So I do have to take a second to be like, is that a legendary one? Like when people spectate me, when they've died and I run past a gold gun, they'll be like, um, there's all that gold loot just there. Like, why haven't you gone over there? And I'm like, I thought it was green, you know? Anyway, they have colorblind settings. So I turned the colorblind settings on. It made it more difficult for me because no one says there's a legendary pistol over there. They say there's a gold pistol over there, but then it changes the colors for me. So gold was red. So then communicating with my teammates didn't really work. Sorry, Fortnite chat again, everyone. You're so bored if you don't know what it is. Anyway, I changed the colorblind settings. So they change all the colors on the screen for everything, right?
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: So then we're playing as Kim Kardashian and this was during Christmas time, which they did this Winterfest activation in the game. So there was a lot of snow everywhere and I changed my skin to Kim Kardashian and she has this skin that has like a bodysuit on and you can change the color of. So I changed the color on the bodysuit and cause I had the colorblind settings on, she was like white. So then I'm telling all my teammates, put this one on because you blend into the snow and people don't see you as, as well because you like, it's the, the outfit is the same color as the snow in the game. So as you're running through the snow, no one can see you. And everyone kind of was like, oh, okay. Yeah. Okay. No worries. So everyone puts it on and I go, how good is this? No one can see us. No one can see us. Anyway, like two days later, I was like, I hate the color blind settings. I'm going to turn it off. The outfit is hot pink. Nice. And the snow is white. So like you are standing out like so obviously and no one thought to be like, hang on a sec, Matt, this doesn't make sense. Like we're hot pink.
Speaker 1: Color blindness is so interesting to me, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those things that I can't explain. Like a lot of people go, well, what color is this? Well, what color is this? Well, what color is this? Well, every single shade is different. So if you hold up a certain shade of red, I'll go, that's red. But if you hold up a different shade of red, it might be orange to me. It might be brown. Generally, most things are duller. So, like, I might be like, that's a nice.
Speaker 1: What even is it?
Speaker 3: Like, what is colorblindness? Like, is it something in your brain not connected?
Speaker 2: No, it's in your eyes.
Speaker 1: But your eyes don't see. It's your brain that sees.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you know that your eyes don't see? It's your brain. Okay.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I'll take your word for it. But it is the first time I'm hearing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our eyes don't see anything.
Speaker 2: Is your word brain? Is your Olympics? No. What do we call it? Segway Olympics?
Speaker 1: No, I've actually forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. Your eyes do not see.
Speaker 6: It's your brain that sees and tells your eyes what you're seeing.
Speaker 2: Okay. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know then, but all I know is I see colors totally different. Like I'll be like, that's a nice blue top. And you'll be like, it's purple.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's so interesting.
Speaker 3: I've also heard of a lot of people that are, I went to say auditioning. But like trying out to get into the army or the navy or whatever. And they do all the testing, like they get all the way through. And then they find out at the end that they have a certain type of colour blindness, which they didn't even know about. And then they can't get into whatever it is that they're auditioning for.
Speaker 2: Because don't forget, when we were in primary school.
Speaker 1: What is it trying out for? Applying for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, applying. Don't forget in primary school when the teacher said, this is the colour red. Whatever I saw.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's red.
Speaker 2: That's red. And then when you see red, so if you hold up something red and I say red.
Speaker 1: This is red.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But like, that's because we both learn it, even though the color that I see is totally different. But also how do we know what color is?
Speaker 1: We're never going to know.
Speaker 2: You might be seeing that, like to me, that's actually yellow to you, but you're seeing it as red because you learned it as red. Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a thing.
Speaker 3: And Gage, did you look something up before? Cause I saw your face go.
Speaker 4: Um, Yeah, so I did look up the eyes and the brain thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it said, yeah, you don't see through your eyes, you see through your brain, the eyes, like they act as a camera, essentially, and then your brain is actually what's putting everything together.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon you have any bobby pins in your bag? Maybe, why? Did you see that girl who was like, you have a magnetic third eye here, and if you put a bobby pin there, it'll stick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me look.
Speaker 2: See if you've got a bobby pin. Is your word bobby pin? No.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you've got a bobby pin in there because I want to see if I've got a magnet right here.
Speaker 3: I haven't tried it, but I've seen that video, but I don't really use bobby pins all that much.
Speaker 2: Should we do a what's in my bag? Throw it back to the, that can be a YouTube exclusive.
Speaker 3: Let's do that for the YouTube exclusive because fuck, I've got some shit in here.
Speaker 2: I've got my bag here too. We could do what's in my bag and my bag too. Yeah, please. Oh, that's fun. That's fun. Okay, everyone. A YouTube exclusive. They drop Friday at 6pm, by the way, if you're not aware. It is just a bonus episode on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I've got no bobby pins, sorry.
Speaker 2: And we just do whatever each week.
Speaker 1: So let's do a what's in our bag.
Speaker 2: That'd be so fun. I know, that is fun.
Speaker 1: But sorry, I don't have a bobby pin.
Speaker 2: That's fine. That's all good. What the fuck were we talking about?
Speaker 1: Color blindness and not getting into the army.
Speaker 2: Whatever. Yeah. Oh, that's fine. I don't need to be in the army. That's all good. I've got Fortnite anyway. That'll be my army outlet. And I can't be a truck driver and I can't be a pilot. And I'm like, I'm all good with all that. I actually wouldn't mind being a garbage man, I reckon.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's like good. And you know what? I always used to say, I feel like I'm having deja vu. I probably said this on the pod before, but one of my teachers in high school who just was I don't know, in my opinion, must've been homophobic or something. Cause I wasn't even disruptive at all, but like, he was just an asshole to me. Um, he used to like yell at me and say like, you'll never amount to anything more than a garbage man. And I remember being in high school and like, just going, I've thought about it a lot. And I think I went back to him once and I was like, and what's so bad about that? Like everyone goes, Oh, you be a garbage man. Like, I feel like people said that when I, when I was younger, do you know what I mean? Not always to me, but like, that was like a thing that people said, well, government job working for the council with a whole bunch of benefits, stable job, early, early mornings, got the rest of the day ahead.
Speaker 3: A good business would be like a step above that owning a garbage company because a lot of businesses, we have contracts with, you know, like the big bins. Cause like when you're a business, the council bins are not big enough. So then you need to pay to have a big bin. They come like once a week or, or a recycling one, that would be a good business to be in. Yeah. Where you just own those big metal things and then you just drop it off at a business and once a week you go back there and pick it up and take it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good business to be in.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Same as storage.
Speaker 2: Storage.
Speaker 1: If you had a block of land.
Speaker 2: Set and forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you could build those like self-storage things.
Speaker 3: I reckon you'd make a fucking fortune because the cost to run is nothing. Electricity to power them and obviously you need a huge block of land, which would be the most expensive bit.
Speaker 2: Anyway. It's a backup plan for you.
Speaker 5: Please be upstanding for the Royal Flush.
Speaker 1: Well, my Royal Flush. Royal Flush, as always, is something that I saw on TikTok.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you have seen her yet, but there is a relatively new artist that's popping up all over my For You page.
Speaker 1: She's Australian and she's 14 years old.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, I haven't seen her, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Her name is Ali Kate and she is so clever when it comes to her TikTok and the way that she's posting. She already has a few songs out, but she has a new song out called Playing Dirty. And she keeps saying on her TikTok that she sounds like Tate McRae.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to play you a bit of the song now.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you now, I know I always make music predictions on this pod. And I've been right every single time. I spoke about Addison Rae before she popped off. I was saying a while ago Zara Larsson is slept on. This was before she did the whole like dolphin meme. I am going to predict. She's already on her way there. She's got 180,000 followers and her videos are popping off at the moment because she is continuously promoting that song on her TikTok.
Speaker 2: What's her name?
Speaker 1: Ali Kate, A-L-L-I, Kate. She's 14 years old.
Speaker 3: I reckon in the next two to three years, we're all going to be going to pay to see her touring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's a fun song.
Speaker 1: That's a banger.
Speaker 2: Immediately added to playlist.
Speaker 3: For a brand, like for a new artist, and she's got a few other songs on Spotify, but this one she's just dropped and she's really promoting it.
Speaker 1: I reckon she's going to be huge.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: How good is that for a song? Like for not a first song, but like a debut artist, that song is amazing. It is such a banger.
Speaker 2: I've added it to my playlist. I'll give you that one.
Speaker 1: So that's my Royal Flush.
Speaker 2: How's getting Set Fire to the Stars Part 2 done? Have you done anything to do with that yet?
Speaker 3: No, but I really want to. Like I'm not even kidding. So like for context, I'm sure everyone that listens to the pod would know, I made a song forever ago and it really tanked, I think for a lot of reasons, but also because I was a pussy. And so I want to either remake the song or– just do a new one just for fun. But I don't know, like if you want to make a song, who do you contact?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like do I have to find a producer and songwriter and can you just contact.
Speaker 1: Like imagine me being like, hey, my name's Brittany.
Speaker 3: Like I'm this business owner, old influencer, and I just want to make a song for fun and they would fully not understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And be like, yeah, right. Can you just pay for something like that? Because like I'll put all my money into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just for like the girlies and the gays and to have fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What were you going to say, Gay J?
Speaker 4: Why don't you do what you do best– And make a video and put the question out there and see who jumps out and says, I'll work with you.
Speaker 1: Because, again, this actually is me going back on everything that I say and stand for. I'm worried that people are going to go, no one's going to make a song with you, Brittany. Even though I'm like, fuck.
Speaker 2: So maybe you just need to do it. Like, just for fun. Do it scared. Do it scared.
Speaker 1: Just literally for fun. Like, it doesn't have to blow up or anything.
Speaker 3: I just thought it would be so funny. And I could either remake Set Fire to the Stars or... Do a completely new song. I 100% want to do it. One of my old YouTube managers, do you remember Victor?
Speaker 4: Uh-huh.
Speaker 3: He saw my videos that I made about it and he said, yeah, you can remake the song.
Speaker 2: Okay, love.
Speaker 3: But I want to triple clarify that. But I really want to do it just for fun. And then, Matt, if you and I ever did High Scrollers Live, I.
Speaker 2: Could perform it.
Speaker 1: You could dance.
Speaker 2: I could do Rhydon's Como.
Speaker 1: You could come in and do a rap segment in the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could do a part two remix.
Speaker 1: Because you're really good at rapping. I know. And you know what? If it ended up just being a complete piss take again.
Speaker 2: Why not? I think lean into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But I'm almost like, I always like DIYing and doing things myself. I've even looked up like learning how to use music making software myself. And I wonder if I could actually make something from scratch myself. But I just don't think I'd be good at like the technical side of putting a song together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's, like, a lot of layers to songs as well that you don't realise are there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I just think... Because, I mean, I used to be a whiz on the Garage Band, doll. Back in the day. I love a bit of Garage Band.
Speaker 1: But just a song is a whole other level. And so, like.
Speaker 3: I was like Googling what to do and then I figured like you can actually go on Spotify and look at like the credits of every song. So like that Ali Kate song, for example, you can click on any artist's song, click the credits and it will tell you the songwriter, the producer, this, that and the other. Then you can click on those people's Spotify accounts and those producers have their own Spotify.
Speaker 1: But I'm like surely I can't just email them and be like, hey, can I pay you $ 20, 000 and we make a song together?
Speaker 2: I don't even think it would be that much.
Speaker 1: You don't reckon? No.
Speaker 2: I didn't pay for writing ScoMo. My management at the time paid for it because like that was just like a funny conversation that I had with my manager.
Speaker 1: But this is the thing. I don't know how much these things cost. Like if I go to someone.
Speaker 2: Because did your management pay for everything back in the day? Yeah.
Speaker 3: And like, but you know, I'm like willing to work with, obviously it'd have to be someone that would have the kind of style that I would be.
Speaker 2: I think you find the song. Like my mind, like when I think of like one of the most perfect pop songs that would be achievable for me to probably work with that producer. Yeah. I'm thinking Raining Diamonds by Ricky Lee. Like Raining Diamonds.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I know that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do. I need a rain, rain, rain. You don't know that?
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: So your brain's going, is this your thing by Olympics? The way you looked at me, you're like, diamonds, diamonds, diamonds. But yeah, like I would then go to the Spotify thing and I don't know, To me, I feel like I remember her going to LA to record that album, but if it was, say, a Sydney-based producer, I'd just be hitting them up.
Speaker 1: But how do you find those people? Do I need to do a LinkedIn post?
Speaker 2: No, on Spotify and then see them and then surely they've got a website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all have Instagrams, but then I'm like, hey, me fucking popping in their DMs and they go to my page and it's like high scrollers.
Speaker 2: Do they not have an email on their Instagram?
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Which I'm really confused about because have you noticed that some people, some brands will email you and say, I can't find an email for Matt? Have you noticed that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had some people email.
Speaker 2: But it's like on my Instagram. It's like right there. So I don't know. Maybe because I've got it embedded in, like you have to press the email button to find my email. I don't know. Because you just have your email in your bio.
Speaker 1: It's written in my LinkedIn bio.
Speaker 2: Maybe I need to do that.
Speaker 6: But anyway, if any scrollers out there know someone, Know.
Speaker 2: How to produce music.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 2: And well as well.
Speaker 1: It's just like an unknown territory for me.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to like contact these music people and they're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: You don't even have any music on your page.
Speaker 3: So I thought maybe I should start by just posting some singing videos.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Don't. Don't? Why not just like release a song and be like, I don't know, do a content series about just releasing the song.
Speaker 1: For the fun of it.
Speaker 2: Just be like, why not? And also there's so many lessons here. It's like, well, the first lesson obviously is just like do whatever you want. But the second lesson is like, even if you made a mistake 10 years ago, you can like try again. Do you know what I mean? You don't have to, that's another important lesson. You don't need to try again straight away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, like if something goes wrong, you actually don't have to try again immediately. Yeah. You can come back to that idea later in life, six months, 12 months, 10 years down the track. Let's do it properly when you have lived a little bit more life and have a little bit more knowledge as to like how to execute something to the best of its ability.
Speaker 1: And I just think that even if it's just for my community, they'll love it.
Speaker 2: Because imagine as well, if you release Set Fire to the Stars and then I feel like you went, you know, had the panic of this is shit and went, I need to do a better song immediately. I reckon that would have been trash as well. Yeah. Whereas now, 10 years later, like because you waited to try again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It will be received a lot better. And, uh, because I think even if the song's bad, it'll still be hilarious. Do you know what I mean? Like it'll still be such a moment and it'll.
Speaker 1: Still be fun.
Speaker 2: Exactly. And I think that is one of the things that helps as well in that kind of industry is is not taking things too seriously because I think Set Fire to the Stars, you did take really seriously. I did.
Speaker 1: The internet was so different back then.
Speaker 2: I know, but you don't in so many things. Yeah. Even back then, obviously less of an extent to today.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: But back then you still didn't take yourself too seriously. But then that was like this big project that was like a really serious like thing, which is not what you usually did.
Speaker 1: Whereas now I would have more fun with it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. And you'd know like what to do. And I think it's also about having like, A bit more control and a bit more power because obviously you said like when.
Speaker 1: You worked with it.
Speaker 2: I was young back then.
Speaker 1: I had management company.
Speaker 2: You were just taking what the director said to do, like lay on this lounge in your bikini. And you're like, now you'd be like, if you didn't want to do that, you would be able to say that. And it would also be accepted. Whereas if you were to say that back then, oh, difficult to work with and blah, blah, blah. Yeah. And also you'd probably make sure you had a whole team of women on the project or something as well. Do you know what I mean? Who would all understand that? Whereas I feel like when you've got a bunch of men being like, get on the chaise lounge and spill water on your body.
Speaker 3: I would love to do it if anyone knows anyone. But also I just need to put myself out there and just message some people. Send them a DM on LinkedIn. But yeah, my royal flush is Allie Kate. And her new song, Playing Dirty. There's just something about her when you watch her videos. She's very clever with her marketing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She's just got a certain like star quality charisma about her.
Speaker 1: I think she's going to blow up and we're going to.
Speaker 2: Be getting tickets. She seems very mature as well, doesn't she? Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're going to be getting tickets to see her.
Speaker 2: I think for a 14-year-old, that's crazy. Yep. Like I think about when I was 14, I don't think I could tie my shoes properly.
Speaker 1: So shout out to Ali.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Ali. Love her. Well, my Royal Flush is so random this week and totally off. I don't know. But that's what this podcast is. You know what I'm trying to say. We all know that, like, you know, we shit on America sometimes on this podcast. And we love our American scrollers because at least you're normal, you know.
Speaker 1: Do we have American scrollers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a few. Okay. And to our American soldiers who.
Speaker 1: Soldiers– What?
Speaker 2: To our American scrollers.
Speaker 1: American soldiers.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: To our American scrollers who listen to the pod, we love you. But sometimes I look at your country and I go, what the fuck is going on? For context, we did do a YouTube exclusive last week of reacting to the competitions that happen in Iowa State Fair, where people do turkey calling contests. And I'm sure you've seen the videos of people oinking like pigs and stuff on stage and like they win cash prizes, right? And, you know, we were saying that you really wouldn't get that here in Australia. Like that just wouldn't happen. If that contest did happen, not many people would go. If people went, it would be like, everyone would be like, it's a bit of a piss take, but these people take it really seriously. And it's like a family day out to go to this And I don't know, maybe I'm just uncultured. Maybe this stuff is happening at the Easter show, you know, and we just don't know about it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is and we don't know about it. But I feel like if it is happening in Australia, it's probably not very mainstream yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, this is something that is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, but I will say one of the most iconic. And it makes me so jealous that these sorts of things happen in America because you also don't have the same kind of safety standards as us here. In Australia, which is kind of 50-50 in terms of like sometimes that's good, sometimes that's worrying. Like I said, when I go to theme parks in America, I go, this ride could never open in Australia. Where are the safety standards? Like the Velocicoaster I've spoken about before, the crazy– I love a roller coaster. It's the craziest roller coaster I've ever been on in my life. You hang upside down for multiple periods. You go round loops and everything. It's like one of the fastest coasters in the world. The bar is a lap bar. You're not even, it's not even over your shoulders and you hang upside down.
Speaker 1: Is this the one where you said that you felt your brain shaking inside your skull?
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes. And I thought I, my brain had like detached from my skull. But that's just, so you're sitting in the roller coaster. The only thing holding you in is a lap bar. No way. You could not pay me. Even Superman Escape at Movie World, you've got like a full over harness that goes down. Velocicoaster, just over your lap. Like that's like wild to me.
Speaker 1: I just do not do roller coasters.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of instances there at theme parks where I just go like, there's another one, Ripsaw Falls or something at Universal Orlando. I'm like, I don't know how. you're allowed to get that wet. And I don't know how you're allowed to go that fast. And I don't know, it's bizarre, right? So sometimes the safety standards I question, other times the safety standards I go, well, thank God they don't exist because you can do things like a popcorn festival. Let's all go stand on the street while the popcorn trucks throw popcorn at us and we catch it in our fucking buckets. Miracle. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Look at this. Okay, let me paint a picture for you, scrollers. This is, I'm watching a parade. Everyone's lined up. They've shut down the streets. They've got trucks. The trucks have like confetti cannons on the back filled with popcorn. And everyone takes a bucket and stands on the side. Think of the Mardi Gras parade. Think of the Mardi Gras parade. They shut down Oxford Street. All the gays get together and dance down the street. Same thing, but for popcorn. And it's a popcorn parade. And the trucks fill up with kilos and kilos and kilos of popcorn. And they put them into these confetti cannons and they spray popcorn all over the crowd. And everyone stands on the side of the street with their buckets and they just get covered in popcorn and they catch popcorn in their buckets and they celebrate popcorn.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a lot of mixed feelings about this.
Speaker 2: Why? From a business standpoint, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Look at how happy that lady looks. I know. Showered in popcorn.
Speaker 1: So let's start there.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I love community building activities. And this is a bit heartwarming like Fortnite.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People would get so excited.
Speaker 3: Kids would get so excited about this when it's the day where they take their bucket and get the popcorn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Is your word heartwarming or Fortnite? No.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I already said mine though.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if Gay Jay heard me say it.
Speaker 2: Oh. You better say it again. No.
Speaker 1: Have you said yours?
Speaker 2: No. Okay.
Speaker 1: So I love it from that standpoint. It's a day out. It gets the community together. I love just wholesome.
Speaker 3: Like this is when, you know, I'm like people are so fucking cute. Like getting so excited over popcorn and standing on the side of the street.
Speaker 1: With a bucket. But I have one or two other questions or concerns.
Speaker 3: My first concern being... Most of the popcorn isn't landing in the buckets.
Speaker 4: Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: It's going on the floor.
Speaker 4: Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: Like it's going on the street.
Speaker 2: Uh-huh.
Speaker 3: Because these cannons are shooting it out and it's going in the air and people are holding them up.
Speaker 1: But popcorn is so light.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, so most of it is landing on the street.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking of like the wastage.
Speaker 4: Uh-huh.
Speaker 1: And the cleanup. And also, obviously, once they leave, all the birds will come and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And is the popcorn getting caught in the bird's throats and killing the birds?
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, the top comment is wasting food. It's so American.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the second comment is why not hand out bags of popcorn? Someone goes, sounds boring as fuck.
Speaker 3: So like I get it from like a wholesome community standpoint, but I'm like that is wastage. And also like surely all animals are going to eat that and like get popcorn stuck in their throat and die.
Speaker 1: And also I want to know of all things, why popcorn?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's in, uh, it's in Indiana and let me, let me, can you go Google girl popcorn festival, Indiana and like get us like how this started, why it started.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's where they're known for growing the crops, you know, that provides a lot of popcorn.
Speaker 2: Someone goes, this is either AI or Ohio. And someone goes, it's Indiana. Someone said, I'm a white guy. And Dan, that's a lot of white people. What, what info do you want?
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just any fun facts about the Popcorn Festival in Indiana. Like, they have so, like, imagine the preparation that goes into, and people probably work for months to put on this five-minute popcorn parade.
Speaker 1: But also, most of it goes to waste. That's my concern.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that is sad. But, I mean, it's food.
Speaker 3: Like, at least just, like, fill a public pool with popcorn and let people scoop it out or some shit.
Speaker 2: Okay, Google Girl's got some answers.
Speaker 4: So the Indiana Popcorn Festival, it features the nation's second oldest popcorn parade where floats are decorated with actual popcorn alongside famous five-mile popcorn picnic race and over 300 food and craft booths. So fun facts, designers are specifically encouraged to use real fluffy popcorn to decorate their parode parades.
Speaker 2: Perot. Perot floats.
Speaker 4: The festival day starts bright and early with a competitive five-mile run and walk for the kids.
Speaker 2: While Valparaiso, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know what that means, hosts this massive annual tribute, Brazil in Deanna is recognized as the actual birthplace and iconic popcorn grower, Orville Deanna.
Speaker 5: Rend and.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we can get into it. Let's wrap this up for some of it. But just to address the elephant in the room, I want to say what no one has thought about yet because this is the first thing that I thought about. Imagine the smell of the town.
Speaker 1: It would smell delicious.
Speaker 2: For like how long though?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm also thinking, is it butter popcorn? I hope so. Is it like a salt and vinegar popcorn?
Speaker 6: No, I reckon they're just plain with salt or something.
Speaker 1: Because if it's too buttery, then it's going to be all slimy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true. It wouldn't... The aeration. What's that? Aerodynamics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I reckon it's plain, light and fluffy salt flavor.
Speaker 2: Okay. Nice. Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: That is very American.
Speaker 2: I know. But see, that's... Because the other thing is... The other thing that I was thinking of was health and safety standards. Like, you wouldn't be able to do that in Australia, I reckon.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Because people would go, well... I'm allergic. Is popcorn gluten-free? Go Google, girl. Is popcorn gluten-free?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: Because you'd have, you know... Like allergies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You'd have, I mean, food flying around the air and being caught in a bucket. I just feel like it is gluten free. I would just, I just feel like Australia, the government would be like, oh no, we can't have that. And then on top of that, like.
Speaker 1: The council clean up.
Speaker 2: Council clean up, but also like someone's getting hit in the eye with a bit of salt from the popcorn and then they're suing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or someone eating it and choking.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's just far too many risks.
Speaker 5: Do you know that my cats eat popcorn?
Speaker 2: Do they?
Speaker 5: I just throw it and they go chase it and eat it.
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: Are you worried it's going to get stuck in their throat?
Speaker 2: No, they love it. See, popcorn, every single time I eat it, gets stuck in my throat.
Speaker 1: Mine gets stuck in my teeth. And I love popcorn.
Speaker 2: It's actually, it could be my favourite food. Really? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Of all time.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: In like snacky, snacky food, I think popcorn's number one.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so yummy. I could eat it all day.
Speaker 1: I do love it when it's like this extra buttery one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like an asshole now because I'm reading all the comments and everyone's just like saying what a waste it is. And there are people starving and blah, blah, blah. And like, it's such a waste of food. It is. And that didn't even come to mind. I went, look at these people having joy. And I was like, this is just so crazy and amazing. And now that I'm reading all of the comments, like everyone is like, this is not okay. And I guess that's a perfect summary of the internet these days. But then I have a conflict with myself and I go, well, Do I stick to my guns and feel the way about the video I originally felt? Or do I let the comments change my mind? And now I'm going, yeah, that is a waste of food. And that is a disappointing thing to see. Even though when I first saw it, I went, wow, look at all these people having the time of their lives. It brought me joy.
Speaker 1: That's like what I said.
Speaker 3: I see both sides from the very get go. I see people having joy and it's fun and wholesome. But then I see like the waste, the mess. And then I worry about also the animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then I'm wondering whether like that, like, like just as someone who, Is... Watching... do I stick with what I originally felt about it or am I going to let the comments change my mind?
Speaker 1: Well, this is a really good conversation.
Speaker 2: I know, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Because it's like you can so easily be.
Speaker 2: Influenced by the comments. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whereas imagine if no one was ever influenced by comments and we only ever stuck to our own views.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: What about the tomato throwing thing in Spain?
Speaker 1: It's true, that's a similar thing.
Speaker 4: No one ever says anything about that and they're wasting tomatoes, but that's a cultural thing.
Speaker 5: So like, what's the difference there? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I couldn't think of anything worse than being had tomatoes thrown at me.
Speaker 2: I know, I hate tomatoes. But yeah, but then if you don't acknowledge the comments and change your mind and think about that, then are you being ignorant and stubborn? Potentially, yes. Because you just want to.
Speaker 1: It's a good conversation.
Speaker 2: It is a good conversation. I'm glad we're having it. I don't know what the point is, but I don't know. It's just an... observation that I saw.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got something like a.
Speaker 2: I've said my word, by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you catch it? I didn't. What the heck? You're not even paying attention.
Speaker 5: I'm not on my meds.
Speaker 1: Well, can we say what it is now? Because we both said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: My.
Speaker 2: But also. You've got to guess. No, well, I don't remember what hers was, but I'm pretty sure the point of Segway Olympics is to Segway into a topic about that word. Like you can't just like say the word you've got to tie it in.
Speaker 1: Well, I said mine. It was charisma. Oh, okay. And I said that Allie Kate had this star quality charisma about her.
Speaker 2: I thought that you gave me charisma one time. Like I feel like.
Speaker 1: What was your word?
Speaker 2: Elephant.
Speaker 1: Oh, and what'd you say?
Speaker 2: Address the elephant in the room.
Speaker 1: And what was the elephant?
Speaker 2: The elephant in the room was the smell. of the popcorn. But, um, the thing about Segway Olympics is I think we need to transition into it. And I was going to try and do it, but I thought, nah, it's like too obvious, but.
Speaker 1: Like a conversation. Then we need to have a conversation about elephants.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But I think it becomes so obvious.
Speaker 2: I know, but you know.
Speaker 1: We can try it that way next time.
Speaker 2: Try it next time.
Speaker 1: Well, that's another episode done and dusted. And now I feel like popcorn.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yum. Do you want to, Because you can get it, like, I think from Hoyts on Uber Eats or something.
Speaker 1: The movies are so far from here.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: By the time it gets here, it'll be yuck.
Speaker 2: Oh, boring.
Speaker 1: Well, scrollers, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Don't forget we have new episodes Tuesdays and Fridays. We've got Close Friends on Fridays. And we now upload our episodes to YouTube 6pm Thursday, Sydney time. You get the full episode on YouTube. And then Fridays, same time, Sydney time, 6pm, you get a YouTube exclusive. What did we say we were going to do? We're going to do a What's In Our Bag? What's In Our Bag video for our YouTube exclusive this week. So... Same day that Close Friends drops, you also get that if you want to come over to the High Scrawlers YouTube. Also, don't forget, I'm currently on tour. Bring Back Glamour is almost wrapped up around the country, and I'm excited to see a lot of you. Still tickets on sale for certain areas. I don't know where. Just go to the link in the bio of the show notes, and you'll be able to get a ticket if I'm coming somewhere near you. Adelaide pop-up, currently active, currently happening. Go to the fake pop-up in Adelaide on Rundle Street. Yeah, I'm very across it. I'm down with the lingo with the kids. Very cool. All right. Um, you want to promo anything? Um, nah. All right. And don't forget to get your guesses in. You can type them in the comments of this episode and you can also put them in the scrollers chat. Again, that's Gay J's job each week to remind you to guess in the scrollers chat.
Speaker 1: As to where I'm going.
Speaker 3: And also, if someone guesses it, I think we don't say anything. Like, we just keep it going up until a certain point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. We'll see. We'll just test how it goes. Because I cannot believe I spoiled that. And I am absolutely mortified. And I'm really kicking myself. I can't believe that happened. And I kind of wish we got it on camera.
Speaker 5: It's actually the funniest thing because you were looking at yourself in the mirror.
Speaker 2: And I was just like so distracted. And I was like, I've got to think of a question about it. And I was like, oh my God. And it was one of those things where you say it and you're like, hopefully no one heard, but everyone bloody heard. So not good. Anyway, dolls, I better let you go. I'm off to set fire to the stars.