Speaker 1: Approche production. Have you ever lost something, maybe it was your keys, your mobile phone, or something more valuable. To find them, you retrace your steps, You look in all the places they're most likely to be, and sometimes you look in places where they're probably not, but just in case. Sometimes when things go missing, you blame other people. You ask them if they've put them somewhere, if they've seen them. You sometimes think the worst, maybe they've been stolen, taken from you when you weren't looking. Some of those theories that you come up with when something goes missing are far fetched. You blame and have unreasonable thoughts. Those themes will be explored in this podcast, but not with insignificant material things, but with a person. This is a story of Desmond Francis Carr, who was last seen at three pm on August two, nineteen seventy nine, and then he disappeared. Here's what we've learned so far. There are four theories around Desert's disappearance. UFO's concussion, he got lost in the bush, or he was drunk. There has only ever been one siding, a man whose named rhyme with car. Apart from that, he's never been seen again.
Speaker 2: Evidently his wallet and everything, and Medicare card and all that sort of thing. We're still in his room, plus his new coach he'd brought to go home for Christmas, and his little dog and his car and everything was all left there at the main road place. I don't know what happened to his car that one the men took his real dog, I think, but his money and everything was still there that had never been touched, his Medicare.
Speaker 1: In an earlier episode, we met Susie, who runs leve light on Ink, a face book community of people who share a common goal of helping find long term missing persons. It's important to Susie as her eleven year old sister Joanne went missing in nineteen seventy three and has never been found. Head back to here Susie's story if you haven't heard it yet. She mentions that dealing with a long term missing person not only affects family and friends at the time the person goes missing, but it can affect future generations.
Speaker 3: It affects generations to come, not just the immediate of the family that has experienced it now but when they go missing, but in future generations, even those kids have known that missing person. They grow up learning so much about it and affects them still emditionally and mentally.
Speaker 1: This comment really connected with me. It connected with me on a few levels. On one level, it shows the true impact when someone goes missing they are someone's son, daughter, best friend, partner, or sibling. But it connected with me on a much deeper and more personal level. You see, up to this point in the podcast, I've been talking about Desmond Carr, a man whoever forty years ago went missing from a deserted stretch of road in outback Western Australia. He was the brother of Shirley, Joy and Gwen. He was the son of Dolly and Frank, but he was also my uncle, Uncle Dev. I share a lot with my uncle Dev. We're about the same height, the same build, and the same receding hairline. My mummy is Shirley, and Joy and Gwen are my aunties, and DES's mum and dad were my grandma and grandpap. Uncle Dez as i'll call him from now on in this story, went missing when I was ten years old. We weren't necessarily close, but I remember him well to me as a ten year old. He was a tall, lanky man. He was pretty quiet and not the sort of uncle you play football with in the backyard. But he was my uncle, and more importantly, he was my mum's brother. I still have a vivid image of him sitting on the front step of my Grandma and Grandpop's house in Leedaville in Western Australia at Christmas in his orange top and black shorts as we gathered for one of Grandma's famous Sunday roasts with soggy vegetables. It's the same photo you'll see in the cover art. That photo has been etched in my family's mind for the last forty years and pinned to missing persons all over Australia for the last thirty years. Uncle Devz has always been brought up in conversations. When I was recording with my mum Shirley for this podcast, my memories of the conversations that we had over the past thirty years were the basis of most of my research. I'm not an investigative reporter. I don't have any journalistic background, but I do have memories. Memories of my mum crying a lot when I was young. She wouldn't do it much around my brothers and me, but she would be sad. It's the sort of sadness that may have faded over time, but it's still there when we talk about Uncle Dev's. When I first recorded Mum over a cup of tea about twelve months ago in Perth, Mum was stressed and still sad.
Speaker 4: I don't missing and missing and is probably it's under missing and presumed dead. That's that's what the last thing I ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think about him still now?
Speaker 5: Of course? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I'm watching TV of a night time and you see something, you know it looks like this, but I'm thinking of at that time what he looked like then, and nobody would know what he looked right now if he watched it alive, you know what I mean. But yeah, it's a terrible feeling. You never forget it never.
Speaker 1: That's really good, Yeah, very good.
Speaker 4: And that's just what I was scared of all right last night I thought they don't start crying.
Speaker 1: It's hard to imagine having a missing person in your family. I now have three kids, a boy who is nineteen and strangely enough, is about to head up to our back Western Australia to work in the minds and two twin girls who are ten, the same age I was when Uncle Deaz went missing. My girls didn't really know the story about my uncle Daz. But one day, as I was preparing to write an episode, they asked me what I was doing, so I thought I should tell them about him and what happened. They had so many questions, as most ten year olds do. I was ten when DEAs went missing. I can only imagine what questions I had. Did I ask them of my mum? Or was I afraid that if I did, she'd be sadder than she already was. I think for a long time as a kid, we just stayed away from the topic of Uncle Dave's so as not to upset mum. My daughter Holly, who was younger by a minute than her sister Amelia, explains what she remembers about the story.
Speaker 6: He was going on a roll. They normally dropped them off and picked her up, and he took a lunch in his awards bottle, and they went back to pick him up, and he wasn't there, but his lunch, his role thing. He was still rolling, but his lunch, his sandwich or his lunch was still there. And this Wade Butter was still there, but he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Her memory of my uncle Dav's going missing from what I told her a month or so before this recording, was very clear. I guess because it's such a mystery, it's not something you easily forget, and kid's minds are super inquisitive. My girls are the same age as I was when Das went missing. My memories of how I felt have faded, but hearing it from my kid's mouths helps bring back some of the questions I might have had as a ten year old. So what does a ten year old thing happened?
Speaker 6: Someone might have taken him and murdered him.
Speaker 1: Or so if someone murdered him, what would we expect to find if someone murdered him.
Speaker 6: Like him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was never found, So what else could have happened?
Speaker 6: Someone might have told him to work for him and if he doesn't in a different country, and if he doesn't do it, then he would die. They would kill him.
Speaker 1: What do you think if I told you a UFO took my uncle Daz, what would you think about me?
Speaker 6: I would think A part of that is sure, and post that's not true, like they're part of its toure? Is that someone in a like a spaceship or a plane took him, but maybe it wasn't a UFO.
Speaker 1: It is highly unlikely a UFO took my uncle Daz. However, around the same time as Daz went missing, there were at least five reported sightings of UFOs.
Speaker 6: In the area.
Speaker 7: Australian police are stumped after they captured bizarre footage of what appears to be an unidentified flying object. Police couldn't help but notice the rather unusual object upon reviewing vision of a storm that erupted over a beach in the town of Broom. The video, posted on Twitter by the Broom Police Department has many speculating on what exactly it could be.
Speaker 1: Outside of the theories of my uncle DES's disappearance, my ten year old daughter Holly also explained how she would feel, which helps me understand what I may have been going through. How would you feel if your sister just vanished.
Speaker 6: Upset and I'll try and find her?
Speaker 1: What would you do? How would you try and find her?
Speaker 6: I would look like where like she would go in like this spot? State you would find her like that, like likes what's that you know? Like if school or like a park?
Speaker 1: So you would go to the regular spot, so you think your sister would be to see if she was there? Where would you stop looking?
Speaker 6: I would stop looking when like, I've looked everywhere and I still can't.
Speaker 1: Find And how would you feel if you've looked everywhere, all of her regular places, everywhere where you think it could have happened, and you she still wasn't there?
Speaker 6: Upset?
Speaker 1: What do you think people should think now that it's been forty years since my uncle Das went missing where my mum's mother went missing.
Speaker 6: I would say, look out, maybe posters up telling him what he looks like, and I would like text all the people I know it's them a picture what he looks like to look out for him.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet hearing my daughter and how she would solve this mystery. I'm guessing as a ten year old back in nineteen eighty I would have had the same feelings. Mum, why don't you just look for him and surely you'll find him. They did at least six months of countless searches across hundreds of kilometers of bushland. Nothing. Mum, why not put some pictures up of uncle Davs. We have des is still on the Australian Missing Person's Register. His disappearance was investigated by the police, main roads and even a few private detectives that my pop and grandma hired, and nothing ever found. My family appeared in newspapers and TV shows to talk about Uncle Davs and his disappearance, but to no avail. They wish it was as simple as just telling people and hope someone saw something. For the last thirty years, since I was a full grown adult, I've always wanted to be able to do something to help. Do I think this podcast will find Dez, No, I don't. I think it can bring awareness to Dez being missing, but also the amazing work that people like Susie Ratcliffe and the police and Missing persons departments do at trying to find the answers. I did this for my family. My mum, Shirley, has mild dementia and she's in her seventies. My Auntie Joy is also aging, and I wanted to create this podcast as a living memory for Dez and our family. But even more than these two very important reasons, there are over two thy five hundred long term missing persons in Australia. Multiply that number by parents siblings, friends and workmates who wake up every morning without an answer. That's also what Susie from Leave a Light on Ink wants.
Speaker 3: There would be nothing better than to be able to close the page down because there are no more long times in Australia. That would be my ultimate dream. Unfortunately, I think that's everything to happen. But we will certainly keep sharing, keep spreading the news and information about missing persons, and keep providing supports for families as long as we're going to need it.
Speaker 1: When I first wrote this podcast, I believe this would be the final episode, four short episodes as a living memory of my uncle, des for my family and to bring awareness to missing people. However, listening to the raw interview I did with detectives Argent Jude sav Wright, I heard something that I wanted to explore some more. There was something in that interview that came as a shock to me, something that I don't even think the rest of the family knew.
Speaker 5: Did you know that? No?
Speaker 8: I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't something that required more digging and possibly a fresh lead that could give us some answers. This podcast was only ever design to be four episodes. I knew when I went into it there was a little chance of finding DEAs or any new information. My true belief is that my uncle des walked off into the bush and because of his head knock and illness, he simply died. His body was never found, but it was most likely taken by wild animals like dingoes and feral cats that live in the bush. That was until my call with the detective Sergeant Jude Severright in June of twenty nineteen. This is new information to me and my family has never heard it before.
Speaker 9: There was a witness who came forward in two thousand and fourteen who believed he saw Dez at a certain location and he provided a map of that location, and then he mentions that he went back to that location ten years later and believed he found a sock.
Speaker 1: Did this sighting? Was this was this someone that was alive that they saw Desmond alive or they thought they saw Desmond alive.
Speaker 9: I'll just clarify that. So he presented in twenty fourteen. The information that he stated is that he believes what he saw someone who looked like Dez when he was driving. He was driving a truck about one hundred k's out of broom when he believes he saw the missing person walking along the road. This was back at the time of when Des went missing.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, so back.
Speaker 9: Then, yep, he believed he saw him. He didn't stop at the time he drove past with his truck. And then approximately ten years later, whilst he was going past this same particular spot, so back in like nineteen eighty nine, he stopped and he's walked around the area and he's found an old black and white sop And then he for some reason did not report this to police at the time, and then reported it in twenty fourteen this information and he advised it it was due to his memory loss.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 9: So he presented this map that he drew a map of the area and dropped that off to the police.
Speaker 1: You may not have this information, but was that map actually anywhere near where Des originally went missing.
Speaker 9: It's that area. Apparently he also believes he may have seen him around Sanfhire Road house the day before.
Speaker 1: You can hear in my call with the detective that I was confused about what happened. It was really more shock. My mind went straight to I have to tell mum about this. Information, but at the same time, I didn't want to fill her with any hope. So let's just recap what I heard. In twenty fourteen, a man came forward to police to say that back on August two, nineteen seventy nine, he saw a man that he believes was des walking along the stretch of highway where he went missing. Ten years later, in nineteen eighty nine, that same man went back to the same stretch of road and found a black and white sock in the bushes surrounding that area, a sock which he believes was my uncle De's. Then, in twenty fourteen, he finally reports it to the police and draws them a map where he believes he saw Dez. This map was very close to where Dez went missing. When police asked him why it took thirty years to come forward, he had said he had issues with his memory. The first thing I felt compelled to do after hearing this new information was to tell my wife when I got home, and her first thought was who was this guy? Did he have something to do with Uncle Dez's disappearance. Could he have killed him, either on purpose or accidentally, or was this man actually my uncle Deaz? The man that came forward's name has been redacted from the police report, but as it was only five years ago, there is a chance this man is still living and may no more than he has come forward with. My hope is that this podcast might open up some more questions with this strange occurrence from this man. It does feel very suss. It's played on my mind since I heard the information. Police at the time didn't believe the information was credible, although we heard that the map the man drew detailed the place where DEAs went missing and the timing of his disappearance. It's unclear if the sock that the man said he found was from my uncle Dave's, as it was never recovered. I have no issue with the police investigation into my uncle Dev's disappearance forty years ago. However, this does feel like new information that should be thoroughly investigated. Was there ever a colonial in quest into this back in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 9: I don't believe this matter has gone before the Coroner broughor to mid nineteen nineties from what I understand from that date of the change in the Coroner's Act where the kinner wouldn't necessarily hold an inquest without an actual body. So I don't believe that a lot of matters didn't go to the coroner without without a physical physical body as deceased person.
Speaker 1: I struggled with what to do with this newfound information. I was mindful that I didn't want to clutch its straws and didn't want to build a story out of nothing. For me, this was less about having some sort of podcast plot twists, but it does feel like this information should at least be followed up. I also struggled with whether to tell my mum, Shirley, about this information. Mum is in the seventies and suffers from mild dementia, and I didn't want to cause her any undue stress, but she had to know. This is a call the mum that I recorded on my phone just before leaving to work the day after I spoke to the detective.
Speaker 5: So you know how I'm doing that podcast? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I spoke to the missing persons in Perth. Yeah, so I spoke to the man. Well, I emailed the guy who was the investigating officer back in nineteen seventy nine. Yes, I believe it or not. His name was dead too. Yeah, that's just yeah an hedyly two now, so he's left the plage for But he then put me in touch with the missing person zero in Perth now and they were able to pull the file from Uncle Jav back from the Really. Yeah, so I've got all this information and a bit that came up that I wanted to talk to you about up was and I don't know if you know this. In two thousand and fourteen, a man came forward to the police and said that back in nineteen seventy nine he saw a man that looked like Uncle Dev who was walking away from the tractor on the road about a kilometer from where the roller was. So then that same bloke that saw Uncle Dev, ten years later, after all that happened, he went back to that same part of the road and on the side of the road he found a sock that he thought Uncle Davi's. Did you know that? No, I didn't know that. No he didn't know that. No I didn't. So then he's taken twenty five years to come forward to police, and he only told police this in two thousand and fourteen, and.
Speaker 6: It neither should have really been.
Speaker 5: Brought out, you know what I mean? Well, this is it reckons that he found the sock from under dead the entre of that of where he found it and gave it to the police, the police for me that and the police have never investigated.
Speaker 8: It that I know of, because when when passed away, it's a very pep. We'll put your name in it, and you know because Gwen's dechief, so you was the next one. But I've never even heard anything.
Speaker 5: It's crazy. They've never investigated this guy, and so mine questions. Did this guy have something to do with it?
Speaker 8: Nothing to deal with it? And he's had a feet just.
Speaker 5: Have them to get.
Speaker 8: The body out.
Speaker 4: But even though only you and I talk about it now.
Speaker 8: You know, she said, I still dream she would really shod food telling me that now there.
Speaker 1: Is genuine surprise your mum's voice, especially around the sock that was found, you can tell that is new information. Her first thought is exactly what I thought and my wife thought when I mentioned it to her for the first time. Did this guy have something to do with the disappearance? Why was this not followed up more? Why was the family not notified about this piece of information, which seems to open up even more questions. The only real truth lies in the police report from over forty years ago, and more recently, what was documented in twenty fourteen when this man came forward. So my emailed detective Jude Severright from Missing Persons wa in the hope that she might be able to shed some light on some of the questions that now occupied my mind. We took a few days to connect, but it was interesting to hear what she had to say.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Hi Jude, how are you good? Thank you?
Speaker 1: So did police have a question why this man took over thirty years to come forward.
Speaker 9: I spoke to the missing person investigator at the time. Actually he said to me that he was initially quite excited about the information that came through, thinking that there might have been a breakthrough in the case. I believe that the witness came into the police station in Headland and they also spoke to him over the phone, and I think after speaking to him for some time, it sort of became apparent that perhaps it wasn't going to be the breakthrough that we're hoping for. It seemed to me that he explained to them that his memory wasn't very good. His short term memory was okay, but his long term memory was no good and this event had just come to him, So that was why he then came forward quite some time later after the events.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to read between the lines. Yeah, is it saying that this man might have maybe not seen DEAs in fact, and maybe it was just a bit of a story.
Speaker 9: Well, it appears to be the case. Obviously, he whether he believed that at the time he did, But given the quite large passage of time, it's possible that he may have been mistaken about the time that he actually saw a person who he may have believed to have been dead. From what I understand that the witness doesn't know dead. He may have been traveling through that area around that time, and I've given a significant passage of time, it's quite likely that he's mistaken.
Speaker 1: One of the questions that came up with the family, a few family members at least, was could this man have actually had something to do with his disappearance? Was question number one? And was that thoroughly investigated?
Speaker 5: Do you think.
Speaker 9: People report things? I guess for different reasons. Sometimes it's they want to help with investigation. Sometimes it may be the case that they are involved. I think after speaking to this gentleman, and the discussion between the investigator and the officer in charges the missing person's team at the time, they didn't believe there was anything suspicious. There's nothing to suggest that there was any involvement with this particular witness with the case.
Speaker 1: The witness he talked of sock that he found was that sock ever recovered by police.
Speaker 9: From what I understand from the records and from speaking to the previous investigator, that the witness was recalled by his account that he saw a man that appeared to be Des the day after Des was reported missing in that sort of vicinity, and then he mentions that ten years later he was driving past the same spot and he has found a sock. He left the sock at that location we're talking in nineteen eighty nine, and then by the time he's reported this matter to police in twenty fourteen. The chance of recovering a sock from nineteen eighty nine from the side of a highways obviously quite an impossible task.
Speaker 1: So from a police perspective, it doesn't seem like this man that came forward holds any clue to what happened to my uncle Dez back in nineteen seventy nine, although he took a long time to come forward and the sock was never recovered. This follow up call doesn't really give us much more info. There was one question I hadn't asked yet, and it was the question that was brought up with my mum when we spoke of this new information. Could that man have actually been Uncle Dav's Yeah.
Speaker 9: From what I understand, the witness is similar age, about six years younger than Dez, but a different description with different colored eyes, and I was borne over in the Eastern States, so nothing to suggest that it's the same person.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 1: The one saving grace right now is that this podcast might expedite a coronial inquest into Deser's disappearance.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the matter is going to progress, along with a number of other older missing person's cases from around that time, through to the coroner's office for some sort of judicial decision.
Speaker 1: And if people listening to this podcast now Jude had information or think they had information, what's the best way for them to give that information forward.
Speaker 9: We're definitely always looking for information to move cases forward, especially these older cases. It's quite difficult to get an outcome. So if anyone does have any information, if they can call crime Stoppers or report to their local police station crime Stoppers. It's anonymous. You don't need to leave your details, but any information that we get the police will look into and hopefully we can get some closure and some information for the families and for the missing person.
Speaker 1: At the start of every one of these podcasts, I talk about losing something, the fact that you blame other people, have some far flung theories, You retrace your steps and still find no answers. That's how it feels to be the nephew of a long term missing person my uncle, Uncle Dez. Any story always has a beginning, a middle, and an end. This story, unfortunately, cannot end until we have some answers. Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what pod shape really cares about. Right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes or headpodshape dot com to book a free call