Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Shari.
Speaker 3: Good evening and welcome to the program. Caleb Bond filling in for Shari Markson tonight, the pro Palestinian protest debarkle takes a new turn, with police withdrawing the court application to cancel the rally or on that in a moment. Also tonight, the biggest pre election blunder that could further damage the Queensland Labor Party. I'll show you what happened a little later. Plus the internal polling Stephen Miles doesn't want you to see and has origin energy burst, Chris Bowen's Green Dream bubble. Well, the carry on with these disgusting October seven protests, these plans to celebrate terrorism on the anniversary of the Hamas attack on Israel. Well it continued today and there were a few interesting developments. The first was that the New South Wales Police withdrew their action in the Supreme Court to stop rallies in Sydney on the sixth and seventh because the organizers, the Palestine Action Group, agreed to change the route so it wouldn't go past the Great Synagogue.
Speaker 4: Big deal.
Speaker 3: I maintain, as I said last night, that I will defend your right to protest if you do it within the bounds of decency, no matter how much I might disagree with you. But what we are talking about here is not legitimate protest. It is the glorification and support of terrorism, which is potentially dangerous and could incite violence. They will now have a protest on the sixth, but they've withdrawn their rally on the seventh. I'll get to that in a moment. It is a joke that the police pulled out of it. We have a serious problem if you can walk around the streets of our capital cities supporting terror attacks. But the other thing we learned was that the organizers of the Sydney protest are a pack of gutlers squibs now. As I told you last night, Their spokesman Josh Lise said that even if we were to lose that case, we would go ahead with our protest on the sixth. As for their rally on the seventh, which they called vigil, he said this, it's outrageous that the authorities would attempt to ban people's right to grieve for their loved ones and family members who've been killed, forty two thousand of them in Gaza, nearly two thousand in Lebanon, except that they rocked up to court today and agreed to scrap their rally on October seven, presumably in the hopes it would convince the police and the court to let them have their protest on the sixth, and maybe that was part of what helped get them over the line in the end. I mean talk about week as piss. Yesterday it was an outrage that the police were quote unquote attempting to ban people's right to grieve. But today you were happy to sell those supposedly grieving people up the creek so you could hold a protest the day before. It proves my point again this isn't about showing any genuine grievance against the war.
Speaker 4: It's not about concern over the loss of Seville life.
Speaker 3: You can protest any other time of the year and they have been. The demonstrations this weekend are about supporting terrorism. It is signaling that they support the terror attack by Hamas on Israel, more than a thousand people killed in a day on October seven last year. They didn't withdraw their October seven event because they realized it was insensitive to hold a rally on the anniversary of a terror attack. They withdrew it because they want to hold a rally supporting the October seven attacks, and if they have to do it on the sixth, then so be it. They're still going to hold a standing event on the seventh, though, which they call a vigil, just not a moving rally, which means it doesn't need police approval.
Speaker 4: But we know they.
Speaker 3: Won't be commemorating the lies of the live sorry of the Jews and Israelis, the people who actually lost their lives in a terror attack.
Speaker 4: On that day.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, in Melbourne, the president of the Islamic Council of Victoria, Adel Salman, told The Herald's son that pro Palestine events on October seven were quote unquote needed.
Speaker 4: He said, holding a vigil.
Speaker 3: On October the seventh for the more than forty thousand lives lost in Israel's genocidal war on Gaza is needed for the community to come together to share its deep grief and anguish and to remember and honor the victims.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: October seventh is a day to share deep grief and anguish over the one thousand, one hundred and thirty nine people killed on that day in Israel again. You are allowed to hold events commemorating the civilian lives lost in Gaza. You're allowed to hold protests against Israel, but for Heaven's sake, there is no reason to do it on October the seventh unless you support Hamasa's terror attack and you're trying to rile up I suppose the friends and family of the victims of that terror.
Speaker 4: But I guess it's no surprise.
Speaker 3: Because this Grubb has previously refused to condemn Hamas for October seven. And for what it's worth, Daniel Andrews said today that to protest on October seven is shameful and disgusting. Even Daniel Andrews can see straight through it. And in Adelaide, where I am tonight, there'll be a rally on the steps of Parliament House on October seven. Now, protests at Parliament House need approval and they got it Independent South Australian Upper House in p Frank Pangalo will join me to talk about that soon. But again, anyone who rocks up to a pro Palestinian protest this weekend is not there out of genuine concern about the war. They are there because they support terrorism and every single one of them ought to be put on a watch list. New South Wales Police Commissioner Karen web is in trouble again because The Daily Telegraph got hold of emails suggesting she knew about the ordering fifty bottles of gin on the taxpayer dime from her friend's business, despite previously denying she had any knowledge of the order. Now, when all of this started and there was a big fuss over the fact she was giving bottles of gin to dignitaries as gifts, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Giving official gifts of alcohol is common in both the public and private sector. I have no particular problem with that. But this story has changed significantly. The Commissioner told two GB's Chris O'Keefe that the gin was used as gifts for foreign dignitaries, as.
Speaker 5: I said, dignitares. We had an international delegation mid last year that a dozen went to, and other international guests etc. The Minister has said in Parliament today that she received one and then there's been others for corporate etiquette where there's been in exchange of gifts.
Speaker 3: Note she said corporate exchange of gifts at the end well on the list of people who received a bottle is Alan Joyce when he was running Quantus. He's listed as a dignitary on what grounds, I'm not sure. There's also another name from Quantus listed as Luke Blanche. Will ben Forden revealed on two GB this morning that there is no one at Quantus named Luke Blanche. Also listed were Michael Henderson and a Guarter Kenna from DEECPR. Now mister Henderson has done work for a McLaren dealership where the commissioner's husband was dealer principal, and she was photographed next to Ms Kenna at a Women's Day event at a Maserati dealership where her husband worked. She said today that she engaged DECPR for media advice before she became police commissioner. I mean I would have thought that the payment they were given for their work would be thanks enough, and if she wanted to give them something else, thank them for going above and beyond, she could have done so out of her own pocket. I mean, Sky News doesn't pay me for any gift, so I give my producers at Christmas time. I pay for them because it's a gift from me, a show of my personal gratitude. Not that of the company. But the biggest problem is that she said that she had only found out about the ordering of the gin after the fact.
Speaker 6: Just reading the lacc's findings here it says that Commissioner web should have disclosed her association with the supplier of the Commissioner's gin.
Speaker 4: What does it mean, Well, it means that.
Speaker 5: Well what it means, well, it's difficult to talk about because there is a non publication order. So the statement that the Lecker put out is all I can say about it. But if you read that sentence in full, it means that I became aware after that I knew the supplier, and you know I should have said so. But certainly I didn't organize a purchase, and so I became aware after.
Speaker 3: Except that emails obtained by The Daily Telegraph suggests that the Commissioner had instructed staff to buy jin from Hope Estate, which is owned by her friend. One of her staff emailed Hope Estate in October twenty twenty two to say that the Commissioner wanted the blue labeled gin. Subsequent internal emails show that a police employee questioned to Webb's then chief of staff, Christine McDonald, how the media would respond if it found out that the police force was buying gin and advised against the purchase. McDonald then replied that she'd discuss it with the commissioner. But Web maintained today that she had no knowledge of the fact that gin had come from her friend's distillery until after it had been ordered, So she was certainly involved in the purchase at some point. But you heard Webs say before that she didn't organize the purchase. Something isn't right here. You can't have this kind of thing hanging over your head as a police commissioner. This is the same woman, by the way, who said she hadn't watched and wouldn't watch the bodycam footage of one of her officers tasering a ninety five year old dementia patient, clear Nowland, who then died after she walked towards him slowly on a walking frame holding a stake knife. She said, I've heard what is in the body worn and I don't see it as necessary that I actually view it. I mean, you're the police commissioner, for heaven's sake, of course you should view it. And a police commissioner, of all people, should be beyond reproach even the width of lying or misleading the public, even if it's about Gin is a big problem. If Weeb isn't considering her position, the state government certainly should be.
Speaker 4: But first let's get.
Speaker 3: A reaction from my panel, National Senator Matt Canavan and Perth Mayor Basil Zemplss. I mean, these protests going on this weekend. I cannot believe Matt that the New South Wales Police actually pulled away from the bid to have that protest on the sixth stop today. I just can't see how it can be done safely. Even if it's not going past the synagogue, surely it is willing for a fight.
Speaker 7: Look, I have some sympathy with the New South Wales Police here. I don't know all the details of what's happened, and obviously I believe they only have limited powers to stop public gatherings of this kind. I'll save my condemnation for the organizers of the event rather than you. Soevel's police or I think are put in a tough position. I I you just you wonder sometimes whether the so called Free Palestine movement or the officials that put themselves out as the figureheads of this movement to secretly actually doing the business of Israel. I mean, they act in such a way as to deter reasonable people from having sympathy with the Palestine cause, and count myself as one of those people of the more Over the last year, I've learned more about the situation over there, and I have been a ghast at the death of Palestinian civilians and the circumstances they find themselves in. It's terrible, it's tragic, but their so called advocates here in Western countries do them no favors by constantly kicking sand in other people's faces totally unnecessarily. This is obviously going to be a week of great grief for the Jewish community, and if they were serious about helping the Palestinian people, they'd put out an olive branch to those people who are suffering from a great atrocity a year on, rather than Srina's choice score cheap political points for their own I think domestic purposes and selfish purposes at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: But this is the point Basil, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can have your protest about ditsing Gaza any other day of the year. They've been having those projes for the better part of a year. There is no reason to do it this weekend on October the sixth or October the seventh, unless you're trying to signal that you liked what happened on October the seventh.
Speaker 8: Absolutely correct, or at least at the very least being particularly inflammatory with your choice of this weekend for those protesters to gather. I mean, let's not forget we should not forget this point. It is the anniversary, the twelvemonth anniversary of the biggest loss of Jewish life since the Holocaust. That's what this date and this anniversary represents for the Jewish people. And so anyone with any common sense or any common decency would know that is not the time to protest. It is and can only be considered as totally disrespectful to the people of Israel. And so it is. Yes, it's been moved away from the synagogue. Most unfortunate that it continues to happen. A bit like Matt, I have sympathy with the police of New South Wales. What you do hope, what you sincerely hope is that this gathering, let's not even call it a protest, but this gathering will be conducted peacefully. But there are no guarantees. That is the problem.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's highly unlikely to be perfectly honest. Let's go to the Queensland election. They're three days into the campaign up there and Queensland Premier Stephen Miles. My god, he had a stinker of a day. I think I'll just let this clip speak for itself.
Speaker 9: I'll find out where the.
Speaker 10: Candidate.
Speaker 9: I don't have that detail in front of me.
Speaker 11: You don't know the name of the candidate that's running for your team in the set that you're in today.
Speaker 12: Susan, Yeah, of course it's Susan.
Speaker 9: I was with it.
Speaker 12: The other names.
Speaker 3: Oh, Matt, it's so bad, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Look it's not his best day. Obviously I'm not always the best with names. But keep in mind. My understanding is that press conference was in the electorate where he couldn't remember the candidate's name. I mean, if the guy was serious about the Bruce high was there notionally to talk about this issue the Bruce Highway for viewers around another parts of the country. I'm not far from where he held his press conference right now, and that highway is an absolute go track at the moment. Massive potholes. It's a shocking state of disrepair under this government. And he's notionally there to say he's going to do something about it. And he doesn't even know the name of the candidate who is meant to be representing the area. And I mean he has been a premier I think over the past year. That's just all for show, not a serious attempt to deal with the challenges facing this state. He has tried to put a pretty weak veneer on a decaying and and tied government. And when you chip away at that paint just a little bit your seat that decaying underbody. And I think the coinsand people saw that again today. They see it in the state of their roads, they see it in the delays at their hospitals. They just want to stay government, to focus on getting those basic services right. They don't have that right now.
Speaker 4: Now Basil your state of Wa.
Speaker 3: You've obviously got the former ALP senator Fatima payment. She's now reportedly weeks away from registering her own political party. And the suggestion is that it would go beyond just the state of Western Australia into marginal seats elsewhere. And of course you know that the Albanezi government is a little bit worried about shoring up support in areas with a high Muslim population, particularly in Western Sydney. You've already got Independent saying that they will go into those seats and this party allegedly is not going to be religiously based.
Speaker 4: But we know why she left.
Speaker 3: It was over the whole gaza thing, and you'd have to think she's going to try and get a piece of this part.
Speaker 8: And it's a very strategic play, There's no doubt about that. I mean, any senator is free to do what they want, especially once they have left the political party. The problem, of course, is that when Senator Payment was elected, she wasn't elected as an independent, and she wasn't elected as somebody who was going to go off and start her own party and run candidates in other seats around the country. So that is the issue, and it is why it is so important that every Australian absolutely understands that this next federal election, who it is they are voting for and what the ramifications of that vote will be, especially when we consider and face or contemplate the prospect of a hung parliament. Who is it that is going to have the balance of power and that is something that should both worry and have on high alert every Australian.
Speaker 4: Here here bat in Basil. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Well, South Australian Parliament, as I said before, has greenlit a pro Palestinian group to protest on the first anniversary of the October seven terrorist attacks. Now the decision has left the Premier, Peter Malanowskas scrambling.
Speaker 4: He said it's inappropriate and.
Speaker 3: The police don't seem keen to cancel the event. Instead, Police Commissioner Grant Stephens warned that any material that condones or supports promotes a terrorist organization or terrorism can be the subject of prosecution under state law. Will I'm join now sorry by South Australian Independent MLC Frank Pangelo. You've written to the Premiere, You've written to the Police Commissioner to voice your concerns about this.
Speaker 4: How did this get through?
Speaker 3: Who actually approves a protest to occur.
Speaker 4: On the steps of Parliament House?
Speaker 13: Well, applications need to be made to the Parliament through the Procedures and Protocol Office, and the the organizers of this protest have been doing this for almost a year now and look I acknowledge that their protests have been peaceful to date, but this one got through to the keeper right because what had happened. They not only booked the steps of Parliament House for Sunday, October sixth, but they also booked Parliament on October the seventh for fifteen hours from six am to nine pm.
Speaker 4: Now, I think this.
Speaker 13: Is deliberate, it's provocative and also probably intended to prevent any other groups, particularly members of the Jewish community, from going to Parliament and conducting a vigil. So it's all intended, as you've pointed out, to essentially promote hate speech, anti Semitism, which we've seen throughout the country, and at the same time glorify terrorist leaders as heroes. And that's what they'll do. And on Sunday, you know they hope, well they've told part they expect about one hundred people. I can't see that happening. One hundred people, that's what they put on the application and it's outrageous. And look, what is also concerning Caleb is the Premier's attitude today. So he's come out and you know he said he doesn't approve of it, and you know it shouldn't be held the Foreign Minister Penny Won has said the same thing. But what have they done about it?
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing.
Speaker 4: What's the recourse here?
Speaker 3: Right, So the Parliament makes a decision that they can have it, but the Premier is not doing anything about it, the Police Commission is not intervening.
Speaker 4: What can actually be.
Speaker 3: Done well to stop this process short of trying to do what U South Wales tried to do the copp has tried to do and have it stopped in court.
Speaker 13: Well that's because they were head of the game and knew what was going on, but here they got caught unaware. I mean I only found out about it yesterday when I had a look at the list of protests that had been booked at Parliament House. A few people knew about it and that's how we found out about it. But of course the Police Commissioner cannot act on it unless something happens. And of course now they're going to have to have additional police on duty on Monday, which they didn't expect but now they have to, and they will monitor it and make sure that if there is any breaches of laws, Commonwealth and state laws. If they do happen to show the Hesbeala flag or any placards showing these slain terrorist leaders. They say that they'll move in. But you know the premier who says, you know, politicians shouldn't interfere in political activities lot this and democracies, Well, I think that's quite disingenuous because they do. I mean, what would you have done if there were a group of neo Nazis that had planned to erect a march in the streets, or Nazis or whatever, of course you would act right now, it's disingenuous a premier. You should have picked up the phone, called the organizers and said to him, look, this is insensitive and please reconsider and call it off, just like they've done in Sydney. But he hasn't done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look something needs to be done about it. Frank Pangelo, thank you for joining me. And he makes a very good point there. You know, if it were an event being held to commemorate the beginning of the Holocaust, you wouldn't allow that to happen. But you have an event to commemorate the day a terrorist attack occurred against Jews, and you know, because it happened a year ago, we don't treat it in the same way.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It just doesn't seem right to me.
Speaker 3: While we're on the topic, the alban Easy government's all over the shop again on Iran's attack on Israel. Here were Deputy PM Richard Miles and Foreign Minister Penny Wong today.
Speaker 2: We are not about to deny country's rights to defend themselves. That said, we have added our voice to an international call led by the United States for a twenty one day ceasefire. This is the moment for diploma.
Speaker 1: Israel has a right to defend itself against these attacks. We have virtual parties to show restrain and de escalate.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Australia has secured some seats on flights out of Lebanon, despite the fact Australians have been worn to get out of there for months. Here's Wong again.
Speaker 1: We have secured eighty seats on flights that are leaving today. We have secured an additional five hundred seats for Australians Australian permanent residents, and there are a few immediate family members on two flights to Cyprus which will be leaving on Saturday.
Speaker 3: I'm joined now by the former chair of Parliament's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Michael Danby, Michael and the government just flip flops on this all the time. In one breath, that's yes, they have the right to defend themselves. In the other, it's but we want to cease fire. As I've been saying for some time, it's all good and well to call for a cease far. I don't think anyone worn swore to be ongoing. But to have a ceasefire it requires two sides to agree to put their weapons down. You're not going to get terrorists to put their weapons down.
Speaker 14: Albo, Wong and Miles sound like they're still playing student politics, Caleb. In the adult world, this is the biggest ballistic missile attack on between two states. In fact, it's the second one, remember the one that took place in April. The International Toomic Energy Agency has reported that Iran has six lots of fissile material for a nuclear bomb. There are a few weeks away from that. What happens if you're in Israeli, Richard Miles's, Penny Wong or Anthony Albanese if the next loss has a nuclear warhead. So let's stop playing student politics. Let's stop mouthing stuff about seaside. Let's deal with real situations. And it's funny, Caleb when even Justin Trudeau sounds militant compared to our se ad lost. This is a socialist left government. I disassociate myself from them. I'm so ashamed that a Labor Party would not react to a serious situation like this with an adult way that a Bob Hawk or Kim Beasley would have.
Speaker 3: Well, Michael, as a former Labor m P, are you still a member of the Labor Party?
Speaker 14: I am, yeah, and I believe in continuing the fight and I'm not going to leave it to these guys and their childish mouthing of slogans when the situation changes. The ceasefire thing, I remind Richard Miles was considered weeks ago, but there's been this ballistic missile attack. Richard, have you watched the news?
Speaker 12: Do you have a TV at home.
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 3: Peter Dutton, he responded to all of this today, take a listen.
Speaker 11: If Richard Miles wants to go down the appeasement path of Anthony Obniicie, that's an issue for him. Paddy Wong's out there calling for restraint, the Prime ministers calling for Israel to step back. Israel is facing an existential threat of extinction.
Speaker 3: I mean he's essentially said the same thing as you there.
Speaker 4: You know I've said this before.
Speaker 3: The government on this issue have had more flip flops than Bondai Beach. You know, they cannot make their mind up because they're sitting on the fence. They're trying to appease both sides. They don't want to be seen to be, you know, not supporting an ally, but at the same time they're really worried about Muslim votes in Western Sydney.
Speaker 4: You can't have it both ways.
Speaker 14: Australia is a proud sovereign country, the twelfth richest country in the world. We should behave like adults. Mouthing slogans of the socialist left are just rubbish in the current situation. What do you do if you're in Israeli and the third missile striker is coming with a nuclear warhead on it? These people are crazy. Did you see the people that Andrew Bolt showed pressing the button and doing Allah alakbara incantations before they did it. I mean, would you, if you were a rational, laid back left wing Israeli academic worry about that? If you were wandering around the streets at Tel Aviv. I would and defy all the clarences from Richard Richard Marleson and Anthony Albanese and Pennywong. It's, you know, something that any normal and rational person would be concerned with. And that's why even the recalcitrants and reluctant Biden administration, that's why countries around the world have said Israel has a right to take military action. You can't, Anthony Albanie, say that Israel has the right to self defense, but then in every case where they do it, you say, oh, they shouldn't do it that way. We have to have diplomacy and ceasefire, you know, sometimes, as we did in the Second World War, these things have got to be fought, and I'm afraid Israel is that the sphere point of Western democracies fighting irreconcilably fanatical regimes that would like to destroy not just is Rob but all of us.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Michael Danby, thank you for your time.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: JD Vance's beard. Yes, his facial hair is having its own moments in the headline, apparently for being negative and aggressive. You can't make this stuff up. My panel will join me later in the show. But first, is Queensland Premier Stephen Miles really on track to lose his seat? Demographic profile of John Black will break down which voters have had enough of the Labor government don't go away? Well, the Queensland election is edging closer and it's becoming clearer by the day that the Males government is steering down the barrel of a landslide loss. I think we all knew it was coming in some way, but new internal polling revealed in the Australian points to an even big nightmare, which is swings against the party are so bad in the outer suburbs that they might just clip Premier Stephen Miles and his Health Minister Shannon Fenderman, of course, the woman who famously does know what a woman is, and Fendomin is actually tipped to become the opposition leader in the likely event of an l NP win, which you know, without her, what the hell is the party going to do? Former Labor senator and demographic profile of John Black joins me now to break it all down, John, walk us through these numbers. How bad does this look for Labor?
Speaker 10: Well, would appear that Labour's definitely going to lose around about twenty seats based on the polling that we have now, so there's no chance of them surviving, which is fair enough after you spent the best part of the last thirty five years in government.
Speaker 12: That's to be expected. But the swing is likely.
Speaker 15: To range from an average or around an average of around about eight percent up to about sixteen to twenty percent in some of the outer suburbs and also in some of the provincial city seats.
Speaker 10: So what's been happening over the last twenty years or so caliber is that the vote for labor amongst working class men has been declining, and now the position is the work that women who are professionals more likely to be professionals.
Speaker 12: Much more like to vote labor than working class men.
Speaker 10: You're more likely to find a working class bloke in Australia in a Conservative coalition seat now than in a labor seat.
Speaker 12: That means the swings are going to be much greater in the provincial.
Speaker 10: Cities where you see a lot of working class jobs, a lot of old fashioned manufacturing jobs, and also in the outer suburbs.
Speaker 3: What about the inner city. I mean, the Greens are threatening to go gung ho like they did last time and in the federal election.
Speaker 12: Yeah, look they're working hard.
Speaker 10: I live in one of those seats and clearly they are knocking on a lot of doors and they're very enthusiastic.
Speaker 12: I think I've been doorknocked twice. I live in Green.
Speaker 10: Slabs from the Greens has been aimed specifically at Labor rather than at the coalition. So the problem for the Greens is that whilst they might take some primary votes from labor, that leaves the voters who are more inclined to vote for the coalition with their second preferences. So we're expecting to see a smaller leakage of preferences from Labor to the Greens.
Speaker 12: And a much smaller labor votes.
Speaker 10: So the swings that the Greens are getting in primary votes in the inner cities looks like about three percent directly from labor, but Labour's losing a lot more to the coalition. So the coalition I think has its chances improved a bit compared to what it would have been before.
Speaker 3: Now I'm not going to say that if the LNP wins this and games twenty seats or Labor loses twenty seats, that that means the lnp's got three terms of government. We can't forget what happened to Campbell Newman. It will be a long road back for Labor if indeed they lose twenty seats.
Speaker 10: Yes, look, a lot depends on how competent the Chrysiphunity government is over the next seven months or so until the federal election, and in the longer term over the next three years. The federal Labor government would be hoping that he makes a mess of it and that he's already achieving the depths of unpopularity that were achieved by Campbell Newman after the first year or so of his government. If that doesn't happen, then we're unlikely to see any gain of seats federally in Queensland by the Labor Party and they're likely to stay down at the fed Rock level. So the coalition government of the LNP government would have to operate pretty competently in order to hold that hold the majority that they have.
Speaker 3: John Blackett's can to be interesting to watch. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: You might remember at school is last year that Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stephen's eighteen year old son Charlie was killed in a hidden run well. Mister Stephens and his wife Emma went to court today in Adelaide to give their victim impact statement ahead of the sentencing of the driver who hit Charlie. He pleaded guilty to aggravate a driving without due care and to leaving the scene of an accident after causing death. I wanted to read you some of what mister Stephens said today in court because his strength through losing his son and staying on as police commissioner, I just have to say, is remarkable. He told the court, you cannot possibly understand what you have taken from us. He's talking to the driver. Your actions that night have changed us and our family forever. We could not begin to describe the loss, and even if we could, we would not truly You would not truly appreciate what the words mean. Losing Charlie just as he was becoming a man has taken so much of the color out of our lives. Not a single day goes by where we don't think about Charlie. The important days are not the same anymore. Where we smile and spend time together as a family, there's a deep sadness that's so much more acute than every other day.
Speaker 4: Charlie would have been nineteen.
Speaker 3: This year, instead of celebrating, it took all our efforts just to get through the day. We know that the grief is with us for the rest of our lives. Charlie won't be part of those important days other than as a memory and an emptiness we all try to deal with. We see the changes in our children as they try to deal with their grief, and that adds to our sorrow.
Speaker 4: Our heartache.
Speaker 3: When our two year old grandson calls out Charlie's name when he sees a photo of him, you cannot possibly comprehend how much pain you have cost so many people, pain that doesn't go away. There are songs we no longer listen to without tears. We see the pain in those boys Charlie's friends, particularly the ones that were with him that night when you left him injured.
Speaker 4: On the road.
Speaker 3: We were at Goolwa when you took our son from us. Will never be able to go back there again. We acknowledge that you have taken responsibility for what you have done. We are sure this has been difficult for you, but you get to move on. The people close to you, still have you in their lives.
Speaker 4: We don't have Charlie.
Speaker 3: We want you to remember Charlie and how your actions have taken him from us. Now we have are memories of him, and that's not enough. I mean the strength to get up and say that in court today and to continue as police commissioner through all of that. I have to say, Grant Stephens, but my thoughts are with you. I don't know how you've done it. Still to come, Labour's net zero targeting further and further away from reality after a major energy operator ditch their plans for hydrogen gas and energy expert Sulkovonicle tell me what all that means through Albanezi later in the show. Plus one body language expert's bizarre take on JD Vance's aggressive beard. That's coming up with my panel next. Lots more to get through, so let's get straight into it with my panel, Scar News commentator Jason Morrison and Liberal MP Zoe McKenzie. I can't get over the sickening, delusional take on the October seventh anniversary of the attacks. I read it out earlier in the program, But the Islamic Council of Victoria President claimed that Muslims need to rally next Monday at El Salmon. He told the Herald Son that holding a vigil on October the seventh for the more than forty thousand lives lost in Israel's genocidal war on Gaza is needed for the community to come together to share its deep grief and anguish and to remember and honor the victims. Jason, they need it. I mean, there's three hundred and sixty four other days of the year, but they need to do it on October the seventh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you've been quite polite by saying you cannot get over it, because I'm not even shocked.
Speaker 4: At it anymore.
Speaker 6: I don't think any is really shocked at this. These groups exist for reasons which are very loosely defined as to what their titles often say. And when it comes to the crunch, they're tribalists and this is tribal behavior and they have decided that they've picked aside here that is nothing to do with any morality. It's not to do with any decency. It's got nothing to do with Australian values. It's got everything to do with ancient hatreds that should not even be in this country, but have been imported into this country.
Speaker 4: And you know, here's it.
Speaker 6: Remember and as much as we talk about October seven, remember October the ninth when in Sydney we had a rally at the Opera House where there were chants about killing Jews and things spoken in Arabic that are just beyond mentioning on open airways. And the joke of it was joke, stupid word. The ridiculous nature of it was is that there hadn't even been any fighting at that stage. There'd only been one terrorist attack and that was the one committed. So look, are you shocked. I'm not even remotely shocked at this, not one bit.
Speaker 3: No A fair point, Zoe. What's the Allen government doing about this? At least in New South Wales the police made an effort to go to court.
Speaker 16: Indeed, And also I think Chris Means has generally been much more frank in his language and his expectations. I would like to see a similar frankness from our Victorian government. I would like to see a similar frankness from the Prime Minister. On Monday evening, I will be at a memorial in Melbourne for what happened on October seven. Josh Burns will be there. He's shown some moral courage on this topic. Michael Danby goodness, the Prime Minister could do with a page out of his book, having watched him on your show just a few minutes ago. It's an outrage that these protests will go ahead, whether that's Sunday, whether that's Monday. Twelve hundred people were killed. Jewish people were killed, Arabic people were killed. They were people who were living close to Gaza Strip, were employed people from the Gaza Strip who believed in peace, who believe in a two state solution, and they were slaughtered in their beds. Their children were slaughtered in their beds. Babies were slaughtered in their beds. Two hundred and fifty people were taken into the tunnels in her Mass, and one hundred of them is still there. This is not a day the celebrating or protesting with her Mass or has wet our flags flying overhead. It's a day for sorry, remembrance and hope for the peace in the future.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, here is your beautiful, rich, multicultural Australia.
Speaker 4: This is the reality of it.
Speaker 6: And as much as people want to dance around and pretend that these issues are just little isolated pockets.
Speaker 12: They are not.
Speaker 6: We have imported too many horrible, ancient hatreds into this country and they're being allowed to be mainstream by this and anyone who thinks there's going to be a lovely vigil there won't be. It'll be the same hideous crap that we're put up with for the last year. And it's not a place in this country.
Speaker 10: It's just.
Speaker 3: There needs to be an intervention now, and every state government needs to do it right now. You know that the weekend is just a few days away. Get the hell on with it now, Victoria.
Speaker 6: They won't because they're as weak as water.
Speaker 4: But they're all as weak as water, I know they are.
Speaker 3: Victoria gets the title probably of the worker state in Australia, but South Australia mightn't be too far behind. Of course, I'm back there tonight. It's been reported in the Advertiser today. Apparently this has been on the books for years and no one really took any notice of it, that public school teachers must use a child's preferred pronouns even if their parents don't want them to. Well, finally someone has taken notice of it. One nation Upper House in Pice. There again, she's going to put in a bill now to reverse it. I mean the fact that it is there in the first place. Jason, You know, it seems in these cases that the state is trying to subvert the rights of the parent.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, they're slow learners, aren't they. When did it ever get decided that governments, officials, bureaucrats were the custodians of ethics and morality. That's a parent's job. And if you can't find your way through all of that, and you think there is any recoverable situation, then you go to a higher authority the things called courts for that, But not the local head master, head mistress. We're not looking for the morality of the teacher, and we're certainly not looking for the local social workers input on this one. Parents' first parents always, and if the parents are dead beats or hopeless, go somewhere higher where proper judgments can be made. But I don't know where they're going to get off on thinking that they've got some kind of role or responsibility in all of this. Get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you've already tried it on in Victoria, haven't you. ZOI not you specifically.
Speaker 16: Look, do you know what I think parents are worried about. I've actually spent the last three days in camera on social media inquiry, listening to parents' concerns about what's happening to their children online, what's happening in the world of social media. I think they've got that very front and center reflection on is my child safe in my laundroom? Let me hear what they're also worried about. They're worried about the cost of education going up by eleven percent in the last year. Fruit and vegetable seven point five cereals four point four year and year to July. That's what's keeping parents awake at night. And I do believe what you've just said before. Parents first, right, parents get to send their children into the world, send them into schools, and to make sure that their children are safe. The schools sit in the shoes of the parents for the school day, and they want to know that their kids are safe. So I also backed the will of parents, but I think to some extent, mister Bate has moved on. Most children I know don't know good grammar and just call everybody there and then whether it's a here or a she, so to some extent, I think the boat has sailed on that. But I do believe parents get to right.
Speaker 3: I worry about this. I worry about the state of the English language. I have to say if the grammar is going out the window. Hey, we haven't got very long. But before I get to the break, I just want to very quickly talk about jd answers beard. Of course, sir, I have a beard myself, so I'd fell off my chair when I read this. A body language expert was quoted as saying, voter see beards as surprise, surprise, more masculine. That can be positive to some, reading a strength and competence, but to others, especially women, it can be negative, conveying aggression and opposition to feminist ideals. I'll give you each ten seconds. Jason, Beard's a toxic masculinity.
Speaker 6: Can you please stop frightening me with that beard?
Speaker 12: Mate?
Speaker 4: I just it's too much, just too much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they'll try anything, won't they. I mean, he smoked the guy, right, JD smoked the guy, and the ideological left will look for anything to make him look weird and creepy. And if it's the beard, it's the beard today Politico, the outlet that started all this. How shameful. That's not journalism, that's wishful thinking.
Speaker 3: Zoey, Does he scare you off with that beard more? It's so scary?
Speaker 17: No, I think beard's a beautiful and handsome I assume he has one because he has a baby face, and it takes him from looking twenty four to thirty six. And when your running mate is almost in his remember it's good not to look twenty four, right anyway?
Speaker 16: I have no problem with bids, and they certainly don't present as a question.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, and I hope you include me in the handsome bid? Where is Zoe Mackenzie Jason Morris? And thank you for your time?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 3: Has Origin Energy burst Labour's green dream bubble after abandoning the hydrogen project? I'll ask gas and energy experts all Carvonic next, don't go away. Someone has just sent me a photo of JD Evans without a bid. I understand why he has one now, just like I do. The Alban Eazy government's green energy dream is getting further away from reality. It would seem Origin Energy has bowed out of its plans to develop hydrogen energy. That the groups exited their proposed Hunter Valley Hydrogen Hub project due to what they say is pace and timing of development of the hydrogen market. Will guess an energy expert, salk of Onic is.
Speaker 4: With me now, Saul.
Speaker 3: This is meant to be a major plank of the government's green energy policy. People are moving away from it. Origins moved away from it. Twiggy Forest is moving away from it. It's a bit of a disaster, isn't it.
Speaker 9: This announcement by Origin is truly the death knell for Labour's green hydrogen ambitions. So just to give you some context, I just had a meeting an hour ago with one of the largest institutional investors in Australia who have material shareholdings in both Origin and Ourica, who are pursuing this project together, and they told me of all the proposed green hydrogen projects in the country, this was the project that had the best ingredients and that had the best chance to proceed. So the fact that Origin, who's a really serious player I've looked at this in depth, invested a lot of money already and called it quits. That's a signal that there's very little charge for all the other hydrogen projects in this country as well. So we're going to see a long list of cancelations of more green hydrogen projects going forward. And this is the problem from a policy perspective of picking winners, because often, as is the case here, they turn out to be a loser. And what we're seeing is, unfortunately, you know, labor fell for this green hydrogen fantasy and as a result we've lost a whole election cycle worth of good energy and industrial policy development. And you know, it's just ultimately of back the wrong horse.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, what does this mean for net zero targets? We already knew they weren't going to hit them as it was, but this can't help matters.
Speaker 9: Well, it's abundantly clear that the renewable energy target is not going to be met. The carbon reduction target by twenty can be met, but through offsets, not through industrial decarbonization. And this has got ramifications well beyond the net zero targets, which is becoming increasingly clear is not going to be meant anyway. A lot of this is about Australia's blue collar workers, right, So there was a lot of hope and a lot of political capital invested in the idea that green hydrogen was going to come to the rescue of our manufacturing sector and the thousands of manufacturing jobs to replace gas, because we've seen the Labor government's hostile policies towards gas, which means there won't be enough gas there to keep our industrial jobs going. But it's clear that green hydrogen is not coming to the rescue anymore, and so we now have a very real problem where unless we get very urgent investment in gas again, we're going to see thousands and thousands of jobs lost. And you have cascading effects when you have one industrial customer like an Aurica, like Quenos which is already closed and announced that over the last year, you start to see other instillery businesses all so close off the top of that, and you get a cascading effect of many jobs being lost. But unfortunately, despite Labour's rhetoric improving on gas now where they do acknowledge belatedly that we actually do need this not just for our energy, but for feedstock for industry where it's not replaceable, which renew at any cost. Right, despite that rhetoric, in terms of actions, we have not seen Labor remove the significant policy hurdles they put in place to invest in more gas, and they keep funding activist organizations like the Environmental Defenders Office, who are actively trying to build all the new gas investment in the country.
Speaker 4: Saul, I'm sorry we're out of time, but you're so right.
Speaker 3: We are heading for real problems. Saul Kavonic, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 4: That's it for me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your company up now, Paul Murray