Speaker 1: Hi, Lucky Dip listeners. It's mail It's Monty. Why are you scowling at me?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not scowling at you. I'm looking at myself in the monitor because I keep seeing like a bit of a shadow that looks like it's in front of me on the monitor.
Speaker 1: But I it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm here on my own. I don't think it's a ghost, but it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's Malan, it's Monty. If you've just joined us for the first time, thanks for listening. These are like your bite sized bits of podcasts. You can listen to them when you're doing your pickup of your kids. If you do that when you're in the supermarket wanting to pull your fucking hair out because you're in the crumpet aisle, you can listen to it there.
Speaker 2: If you made yourself a Lucky Dip playlist, and there's probably one hundred and twenty three odd episodes, yes, and you listen to them all, you will be at least five percent smarter by the end of it, dear reck, and you will have so many stories that you can share with people.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, because your mal is like this encyclopedia for dumb shit. So if you just one of those people that retains dumb shit in your mind, this is a podcast for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll try not to get offended by that. But anyway, today I'm going to tell you a story about one of the most remarkable women. Okay, this is I mean like it's a bit of a downer, but it's a lot of a downer.
Speaker 1: Oh what a surprise.
Speaker 2: But well, most of the fascinating stories are.
Speaker 1: Aren't they They usually involve like you've told it about a lady with two vaginas. I mean that was kind of a perk, I guess. But often stories that are quite great, Like sometimes when you hear a story and it's quite like an uplifting story, it doesn't hit the spot like a downer story either, do you know what?
Speaker 2: I know it's true, And I was going to tell just a complete this has something beautiful within it. Okay, right, But the other story I was going to tell I thought it's just too dark, which is it's just been the thirtieth anniversary of you know that picture. It's called the Little Girl in the Vulture No. Thirty years ago. A photographer, he won the Pulitzer Prize for this picture that he took in the famine in Sudan, and the picture you would have seen it, it's this little I don't know, it looks like a three year old. It ended up being a boy, but a child starving that had collapsed on the ground and was just couldn't walk and there's a vulture behind it, and the vulture is just waiting for it to die.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's horrible. I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 2: I'll send it to you because you look at the picture and first you're struck by how horrible it is, but then you're like, what did that photographer do he took the photo? What happened? And that question was asked and because it was published in the New York Times, and the response was he chased the vulture away and then the child was able to get up and make it to the food aid area or whatever. But it was like, your instinct would be to just pick up that child maybe, I know, instead of chase the vulture. Yeah. Well, he ended up committing suicide about three weeks later or three months later or something. Because he was a photographer who traveled around just taking pictures of atrocities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got a man and it just fucked him.
Speaker 2: Of course it would anyway. This is dark. But well you.
Speaker 1: Told that story. You weren't going to tell that story, and you told it.
Speaker 2: I know, I can't help myself, all right. So in January of twenty fourteen, a twenty year old woman named Karen Rodriguez was driving through San Fernando in Mexico and she is run off the road and abducted by armed men who were part of this cartel you know in Mexico.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like drug cartels or whatever.
Speaker 2: And these guys were they were called the Z Cartel, and they were known to just target innocent people and abduct them and then get the ransom money from the families to fund whatever fucking shit they were doing, right anyway, So unfortunately this has happened to Karen. Karen's mother, Miriam, is just as you'd imagine, for the next few weeks, going insane trying to find her daughter. Because she knows she's been taken. They ask for this ransom. Miriam goes and takes a loan, She drops off the money a to drop off point, and there's no Karen. She ends up somehow making contact with one of these cartel members, and he agrees to meet with her, and he says to her, if you give me two grand, I'll tell you where she is. So she gives him the two grand and he does a runner, of course, so she's duped again. And now at this point number one, she knows her daughter's gone, she knows she's dead, but now she's fucking pissed, yea. So she goes on this brusade to hunt down these men. She starts researching, and she's got this guy's name. He told her his name, so she finds him on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Oh, name Sam.
Speaker 2: She finds him. What was twenty fourteen, Yeah, right, Jacques was around then, Yeah. She finds him on Facebook and she stalks and in one picture she notices that a friend that he's with is wearing the uniform of an ice cream shop that she knows. So she goes and she sits in front of that ice cream shop every day until she sees him, and then she follows him, finds out where he's hanging out with the other members of this cartel. She researches all of them, where they live, what they do, where they work, and then she starts disguising herself as like healthcare worker, and she wears wigs like it was full.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: She ends up tracking down almost every single one of the men responsible for abducting her daughter and alerts authorities and they're all arrested. One of them agrees to take the police to where Karen was murdered, so she goes with the police. She finds like a pillow that Karen used to have in her car, one of Karen's starves, and then they find a femur bone. That's all we found.
Speaker 1: God, this has got to take a twist at some point. This is so green, it's grim that it doesn't get any better.
Speaker 2: But like she is very aware of how risky this is because she's like these motherfuckers, Oh, you don't want to Yes, you don't want to mess with them. According to a friend, this is what she said, quote, I don't care if they kill me. I died the day they killed my daughter. I want to end this. I'm going to take out the people who hurt her, and they can do whatever they want to me. So this happened over a span of three years, so from twenty fourteen to twenty seventeen, that these guys were all put away. So like this fucking hero mother has succeeded. And then in twenty seventeen, on May tenth, Mother's Day in Mexico, she's murdered at the front of her house. Oh my god, like cartel members. I just read that story and I thought, not positive, no, but the love and the tenacity of a woman who will not give up for it. She just will not give up. She wants some sort of justice. Yeah, and knowing how like scary that would have been for her too, because that like those Mexican cartels are.
Speaker 1: So well because they torture you and stuff. That was what I'd be like, kill me about. You wouldn't want to be tortured in the process of it. But it's so you just get if anyone fucked with your kids, like I get like that, if I hear somebody's being nasty to my kids, like Sam's like, I've never seen somebody hate so many ten year olds, I'm like, I want to fucking kill them if they're not kind to my boys. You know. So then if something like that happened, you wouldn't be able to give up. You just keep going and going.
Speaker 2: You couldn't, you know, my mom back in the eighties, there were kids at our primary school. I think my brother was in great prep, but there was this one kid that was a real bully and he punched my brother in the stomach one day, and he was just making my brother's life. Hell yeah. My mum waited for him at the front of the school and when he walked out, she grabbed him by his top like imagine like you grab him by the top, and she said, you put your hand on my son again, I'll kill you right now. So loose. In the eighties, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, you could never do that now, but that's what you want to do.
Speaker 2: It's like the woman it went viral for bursting into her daughter's classroom and threatened to I mean, this is probably too far, but she threatened to slip the throat of a fellow classmates because because that girl had been making her daughter's life. Hell, her daughter was idle.
Speaker 1: You just go exactly crazy. That's when it's like, hold on, you're going to fucking kill my kids, So I'm going to kill you before you can do it. You do as a mom, like the thoughts that you have towards other kids that hurt your kids or you know, other people like that. So you get if somebody murdered your kid. Fucking how that was the darkest story that you've ever told. I kept waiting for the spin, and there was no spin. The love of the mum was beautiful, but it wasn't. It wasn't on par with the hecticness of it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know that story now, and you'll tell someone else that story.
Speaker 1: I won't. I can't pass that on. It's too sad. But you know what, we need a real mix and this is the Lucky Dip Bag. You never know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Fucking shaming me, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's do a poll. We're gonna get out of here. Thank you so much for listening. We do a podcast a Lucky Dips every Tuesday, and then we do another longer form one on Thursdays, so that's when hours come out. And then every second second week on a Monday, we have iconic podcasts come out all about chronic health. If you want to join our Patreon, you get a second you get every two weeks to get an extra one, which is patreon dot com forwards, last show and tell online. We'll chat to you soon. Babbebe Bubbies