Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, December seventeen, twenty twenty five. Thoughts and prayers. It's the easiest and most glib of social media platitudes. I'd like to be seen expressing sorrow, but I won't be going deeper. After the death of George Floyd, it was a black square when the Iranian government murdered girls for removing their veils, it was a performative haircut. Now it's a lengthy post expressing shock and horror. It's something that Jews have been telling us to expect, that racism and suspicion morphing into bullets ripping through flesh. In the aftermath of the weekend's Bonda Beach massacre, in which fifteen people were murdered, including a ten year old girl, some of the loudest performative mourners were people who've spent the years since October seven, twenty twenty three, demonizing Israel and Zionists. At the same time, and there's been a flood of take care of yourself messaging from schools, workplaces and well meaning people on WhatsApp advising parents to shield their children from this news that's changed the world. They're going to inherit today the Australians. Yonni Bashan joins me to talk about how this story is changing as the sounds of sirens fate. At six point forty seven pm on Sunday night, bullets started flying at Bondai Beach, and well before any of us really knew what was going on, we were getting reports and calls about a big police event down at the beach. You and I both work at The Australian and across the country and in Sydney, all of our staff suddenly clocked on, even the ones who weren't working. I started filing stories. You raced down to Bondai Beach. But it wasn't long on Sunday before opinions started to flow. Once it was clear that this was a shooting, that it had targeted Jewish people at a Hunnaker event, and that many people were dead and seriously injured, social media started lighting up with the old cliche thoughts and prayers, people saying that they were shocked, and some of those people were also posting amazing eyewitness vision of what they'd seen that's been incredibly useful for us. What was your reaction as you started to see those opinions coming in, not just.
Speaker 2: Facts, I mean, I think in the vacuum of fact, opinion arrives. And we've seen that in so many other scenarios. We saw it during the Bondi Junction stabbing event. That was a mass casualty event, and everyone had an opinion on the motivation for that before we eventually found out who was behind it and what their motivation was. And we saw the same thing with the Link Cafes age in twenty fourteen, and there are still divided opinions over what was cruly motivating that. In the end, with this particular event, I took a moment when I was down at the beach to sort of catch up on the facts, because, as you would know, there are so many sources of information rushing in at the same time, and when you're standing at a police court and waiting for an event to happen, such as are coming out or an eyewitness to turn up, you can get lost in what's happening around you, and you can forget that there are other sources of information coming in from the hospitals, from the police headquarters, from the politicians, and so I just took a beat to step back, go through my phone, have a look at Twitter, have a look at Instagram, see some of the footage that was coming in. And that's when I saw some of the opinions cropping up on my screen. And what surprised and slightly galled me was that the people who were expressing these opinions, the thoughts and prayers, the shock, not so much remorse, but certainly they're surprised that an event like this would happen at Bondo Beach were the very people who, in my mind and in the mind of a lot of Jewish people around Australia have been watching for the past two years, animating this discussion and animating it to an extent where we have felt unsafe, where it's been largely unsafe for us to express our Jewish identity in a really wholesome way and in a way that in Australia we've always been able to do. It's never been a problem to say to someone in this country that you're Jewish. It now has been a problem for the past two years, and it's something that I know a lot of Jews are self conscious about. You can imagine it You're having a conversation with someone you've never met before, and they might ask you where you're from, and if you say that you're from Israel, as I am at best, they might be uncomfortable with that because morally responsible people are supposed to have an opinion on wars that are taking shape around the world. We're supposed to have an opinion on Russia and Ukraine, We're supposed to have an opinion on Israel and Kamas, And so when you express that to someone, they don't really know what to say. And on the other end of that spectrum of people who have very strong opinions about that and might judge you accordingly. So it's been tough.
Speaker 1: It's been interesting watching you go through that. We're really good friends, and I often get extremely annoyed and angry on your behalf about slights that you're receiving or telling me about or that I observe, and you are, I think dealing with those with on a lot more of an even keel than I am. I'm enraged and you are dealing with it quite calmly. But do you actually feel calm? And has your opinion change since Sunday?
Speaker 2: I don't think my opinion has changed the the thread environment in this country. I think my feeling about the threat environment was always very much deligned with what our Jewish leaders had been warning and what the Israeli government had been saying for quite a long time, which is that a city in Australia will almost certainly come under some form of attack motivated by hatred towards Jews at some point in the future. And I remember distinctly, after Alex Rivchin's home was attacked, he was one of the first people to say, it's not a matter of if, but when. And I don't think anyone quite expected that what would happen at Bondi Beach A would occur, and be that it would be of such a significant scale, with such an intelligence failing underpinning at I think what we expected was stronger leadership on the issue of anti Semitism and what again remained so striking and galling about this situation. I've just come back from a press conference with the Prime Minister and I asked him, why haven't you announced that a suite of anti Semitism measures that can be instituted or rolled out at a point in the future. Why Are we having a conversation about gun laws right now? It seems rather like a distraction and he wasn't really to give a very satisfactory answer on that control.
Speaker 3: That's not true. The report is not accurate. The meeting yesterday had front and center a commitment Prime Minister today can be in a meeting a national cab following the evil anti Semitic terrorist attack directed at members of the Jewish community celebrating Hahne Gert Sydney's Blondo Beach. This is talking document that was.
Speaker 2: Present State prints to push you, and I can tell you from my conversations with people overseas, people in Israel and elsewhere, they have woken up this morning and texted me saying, are we really having a conversation about gun law reform? Twenty four hours after what happened to Bondopage. So I think that's really striking. And I do wonder as well if the information that we obtained from the press conference about the presence of an ISIS flag might provide the Prime Minister with an escape hatch down a separate path away from hardcore anti Semitism into just pure Judadism.
Speaker 4: I also confirmed that the vehicle which is registered to the younger male attained IEDs. But I also confirm that it contained two homemade ISIS flags.
Speaker 2: That would be a shame too, because this isn't just a matter of puatism. It's he shouldn't be attempting to separate what occurred, or he shouldn't try to delineate between this being an ISIS motivated attack, or this being a Hamas motivated attack or an Iranian motivated attack. It was attack that specifically targeted Jewish people, and that's not within dispute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the idea of antisemitism being racism, or being a deliberate targeting of Jews, and any attack on Jews being an act of anti Semitism, all those ideas are actually not that clear in the minds of some people apparently, but they're clear to me. Like the Hamas attack on October seven, was that resistance or whether he oppressed people sort of breaking out, No, it was an antisemitic terrorist attack clearly because the victims were Jews overwhelmingly. There were, of course, some non Jews who were caught up in the chaos, including some Muslim security guards and people like that. When those heartbroken emojis and prayer hands. I think what you've identified in a piece for The Australian is the hypocrisy of those people you were speaking about before. We're talking about people like Abbi Chatfield, Mary Costikidas, Randa abdel Fhatar, people who have spoken loud and clear about their dislike of Israel, their belief that Zionism is evil and that Zionism is somehow a genocidal project, as opposed to just being what it actually is, which is the belief that Jewish people deserve a homeland. So why do you think, given their views are pretty clear, I would say they were verging towards, if not actually anti Semitic. Why bother with the prayer hands and the broken hearts and the shock and horror.
Speaker 2: It's a great question, and that was again so surprising and striking about it. That's why when I saw it, I thought to myself, your hypocrites. You are the people who've been building this for the past two years. And I want to give these people that benefit of the doubt. I want to imagine in my heart of hearts that this is not the outcome they wanted. And I don't think you would believe that either. I don't think most ripe thinking people would assume that this was an outcome that any one of these people wanted. These people are activists, and they have a specific goal in their mind, and they have a certain type of language and rhetoric that they're using. I guess the issue is is that Jewish leaders and Australians in general, you don't need to be an ally of the Jewish community to say this. They've been saying to these people, your language is hate field, you are using specific terms like globalized, the Intifada, and you were deliberately trying to cancel a certain group of people from polite society, those people being Zionis. This use of the word Zionism as a cover for Jews has been one of the most insidious phrases to enter the modern lexicon. I mean, the word Zionism has been around for decades, but it's usage now in common parlance has been such that I'm deeply cynical about the way that most of these people use it.
Speaker 4: To me.
Speaker 2: When I hear zionis, so just hear jew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you've written, it's a fancy word for Jew. But I'm assign I believe that Israel has a right to a homeland, just like I think that you are a feminist although you're not a woman, because you believe that women should be equal.
Speaker 2: That would be their cover, wouldn't it. Yeah, Well, when I refer to Zionist, I'm not specifically referring to Is. I'm referring to anyone who happens to have a belief system aligned with Zionism or who believes in Zionism. I think that's rubbish. I think they know what they're doing when they use the term Zionism. They're talking about us.
Speaker 1: Coming up more of my conversation with Jonni Bishan, I think there's something more cynical at the base of the blooming in content about Zionism or zios. It's I think a group of people who identified a vacuum in the culture or an opportunity in the cult to get a lot of likes and go viral. They were talking about Black Lives Matter, then they were talking about trans rites, then they started talking about October seven. Some people in the kind of online commentary space I think on social media, and Runner abdel Feta would be one, have been talking about Palestine four years. This is clearly an issue that she deeply believes in even though I disagree. Abby Chatfield, on the other hand, was not a scholar of the Middle East before October seven, twenty twenty three. Clementine Ford, I would say, fits into the same basket. So isn't there a very cynical exploitation of this crisis in the Middle East where a really rational opinion to have would be this is horrible. I hate the fact that everybody's dying, and it's way too complex for me to have an opinion on.
Speaker 2: With or to just say what happened on October seven was horrible and I could never possibly support the actions of hamas prescribe terrorist group. And when I hear about the rapes that occurred at the Nova festival, when I heard about the indiscriminate killings or the families that were burned in their homes, yes, that is absolutely horrible. And then it would be just as justifiable position to say I also don't like war, and I don't like what Israel's done in Gaza, and I don't like seeing a really high civilian death count. That's something that no one wants to see. Israelis don't want to see it either. The part that's so perverse and deranged to me is that throughout this conflict, you and I would have encountered people, either at rallies or doing our jobs, or people we meet at the pub or wherever, who seem to just have a very galvanized view on this conflict. It's polarized. That would probably be the better word, in which if you have a view about Israel's war in Gaza, you cannot possibly have a view about Kamas. I've found it really hard to find a person who can say to me, I really don't like Kamas. Horrible people wish they weren't involved in anything to do with the administration of Gaza, wish they would just go away. I also don't like what the Israeli government is doing in Gaza either. I just wish this war'ld end. I'm finding a very limited number of people who occupy that middle space. Everything so polarized, but people don't talk about what doesn't rate. And we're in the same business. We're in the entertainment business. We want to speak to our readers about what they want to hear, and we want to also te them what we think they should hear.
Speaker 1: I think the tone of that conversation too, has really created a fear about news content or about coverage of this war among people who shouldn't be afraid of the news. I'm because I'm a parent exposed to a lot of communications directed at parents. Here's how you know, Five ways that you can talk to your kids about what happened at Bondi Beach. How about turning off news media for a couple of days, keep your kids close, and change the subject. Is the tone of communications I'm seeing and getting, and I think a lot of that is very well meaning. And yeah, kids are scared. It is really scary. But I don't think that after the attack on Pearl Harbor in the nineteen forties that parents in America or Australia turned their televisions off and told the kids not to watch. I don't think after JFK's assassination in the sixties or the Vietnam War, that parents were telling their kids they didn't need to worry about this, go and read a book like these kids are going to inherit the world that we've created for them. They need to know about what's going on. In my view, do you remember learning about the news? Are engaging with the news as a kid and what that was like for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember that, particularly in this country. I think we've been extremely lucky. We're not exposed to weekly terrorist attacks of the kind that I know are occurring in other parts of the world, and particularly where I'm originally from, in Israel, And I know that in Israel, similar efforts to shelter and mollycoddle children after a terrorist attack don't really exist. There's very much focus on resilience, in just getting out and living your life and thumbing your nose at terrorists by getting on with life. I just think that is something that we're not used to in this country. I'm not sure if that should be I despise the term of the new normal. I don't think we're entering a new normal. I think this is an anomalous, horrific event that occurred on Sunday. It'll be up to parents as to what they want to expose their children too.
Speaker 1: But there's a way to talk to kids about these kinds of things where you focus on the heroes and the helpers. You talk about mister Akhmed, the tobacconists who tackle one of the shooters to the ground. You you talk about the Bond Eye detective who hid behind a tree and shots our crime dead. You talk about the off duty corps who rushed to Bond Eye, the uniformed officers, the ambulance, the off duty doctors who found themselves compressing wounds in doing CPR. In any dramatic event, you can always find a ray of light to help kids get through it. But they have a right to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I think, of course they do. But I think you're right too that we should be maximizing the stories of courage, bravery, loyalty, service duty. Those are things that are missing from all the Hollywood movies now. All the Hollywood movies we see now about depressing things about betrayal and anger and murder, and we should be talking about more positive things, and we should be talking about the positives arising out of this. And the stories that are arising out of what occurred on Sunday are just utterly extraordinary, and they continue to develop in a similar fashion. We talk about how to solve this issue moving forward. In terms of educating people about anti Semitism. One of the things that surprises me, particularly about the left side of politics or the progressive left, is that they have been so willing to embrace certain minority groups. I don't need to name any particular one, but academic institutions, childcare centers, corporations have gone out of their way to accommodate certain minorities in the spirit of social justice and in the spirit of inclusion. Why is it so hard to do that for a minority population like the Jews, which is subject to actual violence, not just microaggressions. I don't understand why the progressive left has been so willing and capable to do that for some groups but not for others. In fact, the progressive left seems to be decidedly against doing that for the Jews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how on earth did anti semitism, which is a form of racism, become a progressive value. It's ridiculous. I think the answer can only be that there's in our society, sadly, a latent fear and hatred of Jews, and if you scratch the surface, it comes bubbling up.
Speaker 2: I'm also somewhat convinced that there is a certain derangement that exists amongst these people in which they think that talking about Zionism and Zios and genocide and ethnic cleansing has no concert quins, and that they are entirely valid and justified in expressing themselves in that way. I think what I'd like to see from our Prime Minister, from our leaders, is someone to just say you have to stop doing that. This isn't a freedom of speech issue. This is an issue of hate and incitement. This is not protest anymore. There is a difference, and this is what I wrote about in the piece. There is a difference between protest and criticism of government handling of a war and incitement to violence. And for the people who still need to be convinced that their words have consequences, you just need to look at Bondo Beach. It's happening. This is real, and you don't just need to look at Bonda Beach. The Jewish community saw this coming. We saw it happening in Washington. Two people were murdered there, and we saw it happen in Manchester. It was only a matter of time before it came here. What we didn't know was that it was going to be an order of magnitude bicker over here several perhaps.
Speaker 1: Janni Bijon, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Johnny Bichan is a senior journalist with The Australian. You can check out his reporting right now at the Australian dot com dot a u