Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debase.
Speaker 1: Good evening.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with kayleb Bond and welcoming our new Late Debate team member, Freyer Leech.
Speaker 1: Freyer, great to have you part of the team.
Speaker 4: It's so wonderful to be here.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm looking forward to tonight because I suspect on the very first topic we're going to have an argument straight off the back, so be prepared for that.
Speaker 1: Freyer.
Speaker 3: Coming up tonight, some very strange footage from Vietnam of the French President Emmanuel mccron who's caught on camera seemingly in an.
Speaker 1: Altercation with his wife or was it a play fight?
Speaker 3: We'll let you decide. Plus, when we look at the papers, home ownership reach. Home ownership affordability reaches an historic low.
Speaker 1: But it's not all bad news.
Speaker 3: One state opposition is promising to scrap sales tax for a stamp duty rather for first home buyers.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to that shortly. But here's a question.
Speaker 3: Should prisoners be allowed to smoke cigarettes in jail? They were up until twenty fifteen when it was banned and instead prisoners were supplied with nicotine patches, But then they started using nicotine patches combined with pages from the Bible to make their own cigarettes, and so they were banned. And now we've got a situation where liquid nicotine that's used to make e cigarettes is one of the most smuggled items in prisons around Australia. Victorian authorities have seized four hundred and fifty liters of nicotine oil in the.
Speaker 1: Nine months to March.
Speaker 3: I think this is one of those issues where every solution just creates another problem, and so I can't believe I'm going to say this Freyer and Caleb I reckon allow prisoners to smoke cigarettes and solve a raft of problem.
Speaker 5: I don't see why they shouldn't be able to smoke when everyone else is allowed to smoke. And you might say, oh, well, you know you're in prison, you should be deprived of your rights. But let's be honest, prisoners are pretty prickly characters at the best of times, right, and so something to calm them down a little bit is probably not a bad thing. And it's probably also not a bad thing if they smoke themselves into an earlier grave. I mean, if you're in prison and you want to say, yep, I'm willing to give up ten years of my life so that the taxpayer doesn't have to spend one hundred thousand dollars a year to feed me and put a roof of made. At least that's what it used to be. I mean, it was one hundred and grand a year ten years ago. So I hate to think of what they're spending every year now to keep someone in prison. You want to smoke yourself into an early grave, go for your life, couldn't give a stuff.
Speaker 4: I totally disagree.
Speaker 6: I mean, we should be trying to make prison as unbearable as possible. There are very few rights for prisoners, and smoking certainly is not one of them. And then you consider the cost to taxpayers when these people are out of prison, or even while they're still in prison, cancer treatments, all the medical issues associated with smoking. I am sure that the cost of treating them, whether they're prisoners or back in the public system, will far outweigh any potential tax is we collect from cigarettes. And therefore, why are we just allowing people to continue there essentially their drug addiction and facilitating it.
Speaker 2: Well, it does, and on the tax point, it doesn't.
Speaker 5: So in this financial year, we'll pull in seven point four billion dollars in exercise, which is well down on what it used to be. By the way, it peaking at about fourteen billion. But of course the federal government buggered it all up with the illicit tobacco market and they're now losing all the tax.
Speaker 2: But the latest numbers we have from the National.
Speaker 5: Drug Research Institute is that at six point eight billion dollars a year in healthcare. So the government actually turns a profit on smokers, which is why, as I've said before, they are the true lifters of this country. Smokers and drinkers are the true lifters of this country because they spend money they give tax voluntarily to the government that other people don't. So it's actually a net profit maker for the federal government. So you can't argue it on that point.
Speaker 3: My problem with the ban is it's not achieving what it was set out to do.
Speaker 1: The bans ostensibly to improve the health.
Speaker 3: Of prisoners, except studies have shown that what is at sixty three percent of prisoniness. This is from the Medical Journal of Australia. Sixty three percent of prisoners upon release from jail smoke a cigarette the day they get out of prison, so they're not quitting even though the ban is in place. They're just finding other ways to smoke. Hence we've now got this illegal trade within prisons. Have look at this footage, amazing footage from park Lee.
Speaker 1: Prison here in Sydney. See that bin.
Speaker 3: It was left in the middle of the courtyard and if you can watch there on the screen carefully, we'll play it again. There's an item that falls from the sky perfectly into the bin. It's been dropped from a drone flown over the prison yard. It's dropping a vape and tobacco into that bin. So, aside from being bad using drones to deliver illegal goods into the prison, I reckon find the operator of the drone and give him a.
Speaker 1: Job of the ADM. He could save us at the event of war with China.
Speaker 2: I know we need him.
Speaker 5: And you know the reports I'm getting here of people having full blown fights in prison now over cigarettes because if someone manages to smuggle some in like it is genuine currency in prison now, because they have made it a currency, just like they've done of course with you listen tobacco, Margaret. While we're talking about crime and related matters, as well, checking people off into jail. It's interesting. There's two stories here. One, of course, in South Australia, the former DPP has said that they should get rid of the what do you.
Speaker 2: Call it, the parole board.
Speaker 5: I was about to go for bail because of course that's what we've been talking about excessively.
Speaker 2: Of course he wants to get rid of the parole board. He says, you'll lock people up for longer and that'll be a good thing.
Speaker 5: Something tells me that won't quite work, because you say, okay, look, here's a response to a.
Speaker 2: Problem we're having at the moment with crime. We've got rampant youth crime. So look, we'll get rid of the parole board.
Speaker 5: Therefore you won't have parole, so we'll lock them up for longer and that'll fix the problem. Well, you know, people sort of need a way to transition from prison to real life. Again, I think, and again, these knee jerk reactions. We saw one yesterday from Jacinder Allen the Mirror Victoria. There was terrible gang violence, as Paul was talking about before, in Melbourne over the weekend, including of course that attack at a Northland shopping center where you had a young man wielding a machete. So Cintra Allen says, I've got the answer to all of this. We'll just ban machetes.
Speaker 7: These knives are dangerous weapons. They have no place on our streets anywhere, and that is why i will introduce as many laws to get these dangerous knives off the streets. Which is why I'm announcing today that, effective immediately, will be bringing in place a ban on the sale of machetes here in Victoria. And this ban will be in place from midday on Wednesday under consumer powers. Using these powers, Victoria will be banning machetes from being sold anywhere in the state.
Speaker 5: Look, machetes don't kill people. People wielding machetes kill people. People wielding kitchen knives kill peaple. I mean, you still might have seen Andrew Bolt earlier tonight pulled in an array of things that he had.
Speaker 2: In his garden shed.
Speaker 5: You know, an axe and a hatchet and whatever that you can go and kill someone with a ringe of them with if you want to simply saying well, we've fixed the problem now, no more machines in Victoria.
Speaker 2: It does not fix youth crime.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is all a distraction technique. By the Allen government to distract from the fact that they have failed to control the youth crime crisis.
Speaker 4: Crime is at a fifteen year high.
Speaker 6: But get this, although they're committing record numbers of offenses, the number of offenders hasn't really changed. That's because this is being driven by repeat violent offenders.
Speaker 8: Now, what just since Alan won't tell.
Speaker 6: You about the event over the weekend, was that three of the four kids participating were actually out on bail.
Speaker 4: And that is the problem until.
Speaker 6: Much of this year, remand or keeping people in jail until their trial. Fourk children were seen as a last resort by courts.
Speaker 4: That man, all these violent.
Speaker 6: Kids were just immediately released onto the streets. Hence the incredible youth crime problem. So all of this is just a cover up.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I reckon. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Talking about machetes is much easier than talking about youth crime, specifically gang crime, just much easier. I love to language knives have no place on our streets. What about gangs have no place on our streets. I will get these dangerous knives off our streets. How about getting dangerous gangs off the streets.
Speaker 1: You've absolutely failed to do that. So you've made.
Speaker 3: Machetes, and the definition of machete it's a knife blade that's longer than twenty centimeters.
Speaker 1: Well, there are bread knives that are longer.
Speaker 3: Than twenty centimeters, so big loaves of bread, it must. The other thing about this, of course, is that ban will apply from midday on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Is this is such a big problem, why wouldn't we.
Speaker 3: Ban it immediately, but to provide opportunity for retailers to adjust.
Speaker 1: In other words, there's going to be an absolute.
Speaker 3: Run on machetes for the next two and a half days up until midday on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: People are rushing and buy them all.
Speaker 6: And when you ban machetes, wouldn't these kids just move to knives or sissys then you.
Speaker 1: Buy then you ban knives, and your band scissors.
Speaker 4: Or axes, then you buy hammers.
Speaker 6: Then you ban hammers like I could name so many rope like goodness, anything could be violent, and that is the problem. They don't want to address the underlying drivers of the crisis, so it's easier to just ban things.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Should kids have access to machetes obviously not. Should we control access to machetes totally, But let's be very clear this is not some newfound desire to reign in crime. This is just into Alan trying to cover up the fact.
Speaker 4: That her government has failed.
Speaker 3: And like we talked about with the ban on cigarettes in jails, do you reckon in a couple of days time on the orb were Donga border, there'll be a big store opening up machete the machete shop.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go and do it if it doesn't really exist.
Speaker 5: But it concerns me as well how easily people are willing to give up liberties and freedoms right.
Speaker 2: And most people might sit there and say, well, I.
Speaker 5: Don't have a machete. I'm probably never going to buy a machete, so I don't really care if you ban the machete. But there are plenty of people who would go bush walking or work on farms or whatever it might be, who would argue that they have a legitimate use for a machete and that they should be able to buy one. And so you start with the machete and you say, well, for the good of the people, will stop the sale of the machetes. And one by one we have these little changes that we make to our lives and say we'll give up a little bit of freedom, a little bit of liberty, because we believe that will make the rest of us safer until you get to the point where you have no liberty or freedom left. Because that's the ultimate version of safety, is that there is no risk in life. I mean, if that's the kind of world you want to live in, go for it. But it's not the kind of world I want to live in. The kid with the machine Eddie will find something else to use. Whether he's got the machete or not, he's still going to commit crime.
Speaker 2: It doesn't change.
Speaker 3: She's dealing with the symptom and she's ignoring the root issues, which is so common amongst our governments. Another area where they continue to ignore root issues is of course, in immigration, particularly illegal immigration. Figures released from the Department of Home Affairs today just show an extraordinary situation in this country. We now have fifty one thousand failed asylum seekers living here in Australia, though they have no right to be here, which begs the question, when, if ever, will they be deported and go home. We read today there are forty three thousand, four hundred and ninety three people challenging the rejection of their visa application in the Administrative Tribunal. But the number of immigrants have gone through the system and now have no right to remain in Australia is estimated to have reached fifty one thousand, six hundred and seventeen.
Speaker 1: Let me show you a graph.
Speaker 3: You can see how the number of people who have been denied a visa but are.
Speaker 1: Yet to be deported has grown over.
Speaker 3: The last few years while Labor has been in power. There is currently ninety five, one hundred and ten of whom, as I said, fifty one thousand have now exhausted all of their court options and yet are still here in this country now. Tony Burke, when answering questions from journalists about this extraordinarily Freyer said, what we expect them to leave?
Speaker 1: Well, these are.
Speaker 3: People, many of whom arrived here illegally, others who have gained the system using all sorts of novel excuses to stay, and Tony Burke, the Immigration Minister, says, well, we expect them to live. You can't expect these people to just voluntarily leave. The government has to do something.
Speaker 6: He's essentially asking people to self deport Trump style, except he's not offering them any incentive to do so. In fact, why would anyone want to leave Australia at all.
Speaker 4: We are one of the.
Speaker 6: Best countries on earth, so I totally understand why tens of thousands of people are willing to break the law in order to stay here.
Speaker 4: But that doesn't mean it's right.
Speaker 6: And actually this was an issue even back in Margaret Thatcher's time, and she made this great comment in Parliament in the UK.
Speaker 9: Kable gentlemen is suggesting that we ever get to a position when you cannot return illegal immigrants to that country of origin, then here's proposing international chaos.
Speaker 6: And that is one of the key issues. In order to deport people who've had their asylum claims rejected, the country that they originate from has to accept them back. Now an increasing list of countries are simply refusing to do so, and it is straining the international order. How can we be expected to cooperate with these countries when they don't respect our sovereignty and our right to control our borders.
Speaker 4: Kalab Well, this.
Speaker 2: Stuff should be so simple.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, James, if you were decided to rock up to my waterfront, padded beal Maine, because you can't resist the view of the Sydney Harbor.
Speaker 3: Bridge whenever I ring the bell and you never answered, Well, that in the driveway suspicious.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you why. If you've read the doormat it's his wine required for intro. Yes that he's actually written on my door, and he's never brought the wine. But say, I'll let you in, and you block yourself on the Eames chair and you sit there and look at the harbor Bridge and you go, bug it, I'm staying here.
Speaker 2: I'm not leaving.
Speaker 5: Well, i'd call up the coppers, and the coppers have come and take you away for trespass, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, surely it is as simple as that. If you have allowed yourself into an area.
Speaker 3: What if I had a really good lawyer who was funded by the government and by taxpayers to provide twenty different appeal boards.
Speaker 2: That I complicating facts?
Speaker 1: That's what I went there.
Speaker 5: And you know, I mean, how hard is it you come to my property you're not meant to be that the police will come and take you away as you trespassed. It should be exactly the same. You're not meant to be here. We have ruled that you are not an asylum seeker. So you should be on the first plane back home.
Speaker 2: And I'm really worried we're going to go the way of the UK.
Speaker 5: And we keep getting these insane stories out of the UK recently. I mean, my favorite one was that the Albanian bloke who he couldn't go back to Albania because he had a child in the UK who didn't like foreign chicken nuggets and so it would be against his human rights to send him back to Albania.
Speaker 2: Because this is the cheat code.
Speaker 5: You go to the country, but you're not meant to be, saying you're a student or whatever.
Speaker 2: You apply for asylum status.
Speaker 5: It takes us about seventeen years to assess whether or not you're actually allowed in the country. In the meantime, you hook up with some bird, getter up the duff, have a few kids, bag we can't get.
Speaker 2: Rid of you now because you've got roots in this country.
Speaker 3: What the Albanizer government did, and we said earlier, there's about forty three thousand people still going through the appeals process, so freer. They gave extra funding, right to move people through the process quicker, But all that achieves is putting more people into the position where now they've exhausted their legal rights. You've got to do something about those people. It's one of those situations where it starts off as so small we won't bother addressing it, but quickly it becomes so big. If you're going to address it, it's going to cost a mozza. And can you imagine the controversy once they start physically deporting and forcing people out of the country. If they don't start on this soon, we're going to end up with chaos.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing.
Speaker 6: Last month, less than five people were actually involuntarily imported, five out of over fifty thousand.
Speaker 4: It's an absolute joke.
Speaker 6: But moving on now, I feel like councils always give us so much to talk about, and this time it's Melbourne City Council. Of course, during COVID they had a one hundred million dollar fund with them and the state government and it was all about trying.
Speaker 8: To revive the businesses that.
Speaker 4: They shut down.
Speaker 6: Except it's now been revealed under a Freedom of information request that instead of spending this money supporting businesses, they actually spent it making Melbourne even more unlivable. Eight hundred and twenty five thousand dollars from Melbourne's fund has been diverted to changing these speed limits in suburbs from fifty and sixty kilometers down to forty kilometer zones. That sounds great, Yes, let's have this money to revive the city we killed, and let's.
Speaker 4: Kill it even more.
Speaker 6: I just think that's ridiculous. Shouldn't that money be going to business as Kyler?
Speaker 5: Of course it should, But I mean this is just typical stuff, right, I mean, they've done this in so many places now, so many councils across the country just made vast swayes, not only cities with suburbia forty kilometers an hour for whatever reason, because I don't know, some dumb kid runs out.
Speaker 2: On the road and you'd hit them a little.
Speaker 5: I mean, seriously, forty kilometers now fifty kilometers an hour. Unless you're screaming down the street at seventy it is probably not that much of a difference. But they tried this in Adelaide in twenty thirteen. They need a trial in the CBD where they cut the speed limit back when Steven Yard would my great mate not was lord mayor. In twenty thirteen, they cut the speed limit in parts of the city to forty and Less than a year later, they scrapped it because they realized it didn't make a lick of difference, and all it did was discourage people from driving into the city because oh good, say we're going to go at forty kilometers an hour. I go to the places where I can go fifty because I want to be actually able to move around. There are places in Melbourne now where they're actually reducing the speed limit to thirty kilometers an hour. I mean, where does an end you go from fifty to forty, forty to thirty, thirty to twenty and then it'll be bike lanes everywhere, which is probably their ultimate goal anyway, because that'll be the fastest way to move.
Speaker 3: And like Freya said, this just makes the cities even more unlivable when the point of the fund was to reinvigorate CBD businesses after they were devastated during the pandemic eight hundred and what was it fifty million thousand dollars towards bike lanes slowing down cars to forty kilometers an hour. I love what one of the council spokesman said when trying to defend this decision, that there was one hundred million dollars allocated right to reviving inner city businesses, and the spokesperson said, and I quote, more than sixty million dollars was directed to support businesses. Now, my math isn't great the best of times, prayer, but you've already cottoned on. If one hundred million dollars was dedicated and they have spent sixty million, to what happened to the other forty million that was meant to help businesses a that this is typical though Mooney Valley Council famously a few years ago there were floods in the area and they spent flood recovery money funding an indigenous artist to do an Indigenous sculpture for a children's playground which was far removed from the area that was flooded. So councils continually use money allocated for one thing to fund their pet projects.
Speaker 1: If you did that in any other sector of.
Speaker 3: Society, you'd be at least sacked, if not investigated and prosecuted. And yet councils repeatedly use rate payer money for things other than what it was intended for, and in this.
Speaker 1: Case, to make things worse rather than better.
Speaker 6: But one of the problems as well, is that the people who live in these inner city areas and who vote for the councils are often perfectly happy to just ride around on their bike, no cars.
Speaker 4: They don't even want businesses.
Speaker 6: Half of them are socialists, and so the councils can get away with this stuff. But it's the businesses that ultimately pay. And that's what I think is really sad. It's going to be the small businesses, the mums and dads who can't afford to keep up as these draconian, anti fun, anti freedom councils have their way.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's all anti car.
Speaker 5: I mean, have a look around any city now and look at how many loading zones there are.
Speaker 2: And it's not to say it's anti track the whole thing.
Speaker 5: How do they think that cities operate? I mean things get brought into cities on trucks. Trucks need loading zones to park. Oh, we'll take the loading zones out more to bike lane in instead. They just well, I think they do get it. They know exactly what they are doing. The point is to stop you from driving your car. But newsflash, when if you can't drive your car, people just won't go places and it'll hurt the cities, and then there won't be anyone to pay the rates anymore, and then there'll be no counsel, which perhaps is the best thing that could happen for all of us. Sometimes I scratch my head and I think, why have you made this decision?
Speaker 2: That's one of them. I mean, why would you reduce the speed limit?
Speaker 5: And another one of those moments I had today, ADHD diagnosis in New South Wales is now going to be extended to GPS. So currently if you want a diagnosis of ADHD you have to go to either a pediatrician if you're a child, or a psychiatrist they're also qualified to give out ADHD medication. Well, the New South Wales state government says no, no, we should be able to allow GPS to do it now, just the average family doctor to say, yes, you can have an ADHD diagnosis, and you can have an ADHD diagnosis, and why don't we sign everyone up for an ADHD diagnosis, because that's where we seem to be going these days. I mean, every second kid apparently has ADHD and ADHD is not on the NDIS, but one in ten young boys is now on the NDAs with autism or some such thing. And of course the schools encourage parents to get ADHD diagnoses because I get special dispensation funding and all sorts of things. Parents cutcrook if their children don't get diagnoses that they ask for, whether it be ADHD or autism or whatever. All the autism they've been diagnosed with is two miles so they can't get on the NDAs. This is going on all the time, and it's a serious diagnosis. So you say, well, without any real basis, we'll just allow an average GP to start maybe start making these is.
Speaker 2: They've got to take another course so.
Speaker 5: That they can have the power to give out ADHD diagnosis. Well, once it gets around that the GP down at this clinic is handing out ADHD diagnoses, how many kids do you reckon?
Speaker 2: We'll be lined up out the front with their parents to go and get it. It's just a business.
Speaker 3: Rule, and no one's denying there's an issue here. But when, as you said, between six and ten percent of young people in this country have got a mental health disorder, wouldn't the response be to say, WHOA, let's stop for a second and figure out what is going on, rather than to say let's make it as easy as possible for these kids to get diagnosed and then prescribed and put on medication. And I've got firsthand experience of this, as many parents around the country would where your child goes to school misbehaves, and then in our situation, it was teachers saying, we need you to go and get your child seen to and diagnosed with ADHD because then the school gets extra funding for extra support to provide behavioral management in classrooms, et cetera, et cetera. And so we took our kid along because we don't want our kid to suffer and be behind at school. And I was actually shocked with a pediatrician at how quickly after one consultation that was very brief, Oh yeah, ADHD put them on whatever the ADHD drug is. And as parents, we were kind of horrified. We had the school encouraging us very strongly from one end, we had a health professional who seemed pretty quick to diagnose and prescribe, and as parents, you just want the best for your kids, and I certainly don't think most parents want to put their children on some sort of drug. So we're going to get an explosion in diagnoses. You would think, as you said, Caleb, if you've got GPS.
Speaker 1: Now prescribing this.
Speaker 3: They're already giving out four point six million prescriptions for ADHD drugs. That was between twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four in one year, four point six million prescriptions.
Speaker 1: This will make it more and I'm not sure it's a good thing.
Speaker 6: Well, it's so sad, and we also don't know what the long term consequences are of essentially drugging a significant proportion of an entire generation in one of the biggest medical experiments on children we've ever conducted what happens, and we do see from some of the early research coming out that, particularly in boys, one of the things it does is reduce their drive and ambition, and that's partly why now across our education system you're actually seeing girls now outperforming boys, and now there's a reverse gender gap where girls are excelling at record rates, but it's boys being left behind because the system, now if you're not a nice little girl in school, will go put you on medication with no idea about the long term consequences.
Speaker 8: And so once again it is children.
Speaker 6: It is society's most vulnerable people that are going to pay the price for this.
Speaker 3: Experiment, so I should point out quickly because I used some personal experience. We just adjusted some behavioral management issues with our son and that he's now doing brilliant and it's probably the best kid in this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 5: But you see, of course, you pathologize increasingly things that are part of the normal human experience. You know, worry becomes anxiety, sadness becomes depression. You know, a boy mucking around because he's perhaps not being treated as he should or no one really understands him. Where he's got ADHD And that's the point of ritalin and all these other means is to try and essentially dull and create an equilibrium for these kids. But the rought that I talked about before, where do you think that the number one school in New South Wales that had the most students approved for disability provisions under the HSC last year?
Speaker 2: Have I guess where it was.
Speaker 1: And what school it was? I wouldn't even know where to begin with edge.
Speaker 6: I've got to Gasfoya Kayla. Was it a school in the eastern suburbs?
Speaker 2: Wasn't in the eastern suburbs?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 2: It was in Cremorn, so right right next to all Redlands where.
Speaker 5: Forty nine point four percent of HSC students had some kind of special dispensation to do with disability. And that's exactly why they want the diagnosis, because it means the students will maybe get some extra time in their exam, or they get to mixed through assistance, or they can do something a bit differently, and the schools use.
Speaker 2: That to jack up their results. I mean, why wouldn't you do it?
Speaker 6: And Caleb, the thing is as well, kids from truly disadvantaged backgrounds often don't have the resources or the know how to work through the medical system to get these diagnoses and get the special privileges. So once again it is the most vulnerable that tend to suffer.
Speaker 4: But let's move on now.
Speaker 6: So the ABC has been forced to apologize to two national MP's after one of its political reporters falsely claimed that they abandoned their electorates while people were dying.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 10: I think the other thing that's probably really important to regional communities is that they have a local member who's there when their electorate is, for example, flooding. So I went through this earlier today. I went and check so on Wednesday afternoon. There was a sixty three year old man in Moto that's near Tyree. That's in Allison Penfold's seat the National He died on Thursday morning. The body was recovered of a thirty year old a man his thirties in Rosewood that's in her seat as well. On Thursday afternoon, that's when we had the press conference from the Nationals in the Hall. Just to go over that timeline, a sixty year old woman died in her car near Koff's Harbor in this flood. That's in Pact Conahan's seat of Kauper.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 10: Important thing is that when you're in opposition, it's also still your job to be a local member and represent your communities, to be there for them.
Speaker 6: Now, initially when I saw this story, I thought, oh, no, some poor reporter we've never heard of has made an innocent mistake. Oh this is really sad and awkward. But you can hear there this was no an innocent mistake. She was on a witch hunt to attack National Party MPs.
Speaker 8: She researched everyone who had died in their.
Speaker 6: Electrics, which is totally a tragedy, but she failed to check where that the MP's were actually there, and in fact they were they never abandoned their electorate.
Speaker 3: Fifty percent of her research was outstanding. It was just the other fifty percent, which was pretty much nonexistent and meant that the ABC had to issue an apology, which is pretty embarrassing. It just goes to show it it's just easy to whack a member of the coalition, and the ABC are pretty proficient at that, and it's a classic example of just take a whack without checking first to see whether it was deserved or in fact based on truth.
Speaker 5: Well, I think this might have proved that it's not that easy to take a whack at a member of the coalition because there was no basis for the whack whatsoever. I mean, you know, if you're going to go for someone, you've actually got to get your facts right before you do it. And I had a situation a bit like this, not involving the ABC, but a journalist at an outlet that will.
Speaker 2: Remain unnamed sent me this email recently saying you said this on air, and this is wrong and that was wrong, and we're going to write it up.
Speaker 5: And I went back and methodically went through exactly what I had said on air, and how it all had basis in fact, and that what they were telling me I had said was wrong.
Speaker 2: I could point to the exact.
Speaker 5: Piece in the document where it said, no, what I've said is exactly true. Funnily enough, that piece didn't end up getting written. At least they did the due diligence to reach out beforehand and ask before they ran the piece. What has happened here is a journalist has gone on air and run her mouth and said, oh, well, you know, why aren't they in their electric now? If she had made the point that all of this is a great side show while there is a natural disaster going on, and that the Nationals as a party roof point should have been far more interested in flood victims than their own personal issues this week, that would have been a totally legitimate point to make. But she deliberately and specifically pointed out MP's and suggested that they weren't in their electorates when they were. I mean, it is the most basic stuff. And here, but for the grace of God goes oh. You and I have worked as newspaper reporters, James, We've all made mistakes before and had to issue retractions for some minor issue or whatever, but this is a pretty big one.
Speaker 3: Well, and when you're talking on live television, off the cuff, you can say things, you know, in the heat of the moment that maybe it was not exactly correct, or maybe you're kind of sure but not totally sure. But as you said, Freyer, she had her notes there. She came prepared to make this charge, to fire this bullet, only to find it wasn't true at all. And of course the damages always that so many more people actually see the initial report, which is inaccurate, then see the retraction, and so the damage is done.
Speaker 6: And it also just continues to erode public trust in the ABC. And that's what's happening consistently over time. When you make these political tacks that clearly are politically and emotionally motivated, people get annoyed.
Speaker 5: Well, remember ABC had to deal with our mit for a fact check units, right, I mean, if that would have happened to that, if that will by the wayside, because they were even the APENC worked out that the affection unit wasn't all that crash on, but if it still existed, this is something that they should be looking at.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Queensland quickly because the LNP government have made an interesting decision that I think will please a lot of people. They have canned the approval for a wind farm forty kilometers outside of Rockhampton. This was a massive wind farm, eighty eight turbines, a one billion dollar project. It was going to supply power to over two hundred thousand homes. But the LNP have said no, it will not go ahead because the locals were not properly consulted. The l ANDP of created new laws saying that from now on local councils must give consent and there's mandatory consultation with locals before any renewable company can lodge a DA. Now, of course, as you would expect, the Labor leader, Stephen Miles has labeled this just dumb quote unquote, saying that this proves the NP hate renewables or maybe they're just really sympathetic to people who hate wind turbines being put up in their backyard.
Speaker 1: Though this does raise.
Speaker 3: Some questions for me Caleb if the LNP in Queensland, who would not support nuclear power going into the federal election, but nor do they want wind turbines. They're not opening coal fired power stations anytime soon. So I'm just wondering where does the power come from in the lnp's plan. I like that decision to scrap the wind farm, but it just means they've got to come up with some better policy really, because it doesn't quite make sense yet to me.
Speaker 2: No, you don't get power.
Speaker 5: China gets power with the coal that we're selling them, but we don't get power in the end or handles, which is well, I mean, you know that's where they want to go essentially, right. I mean that the idea that we can't use coal and we can't use cheap and efficient forms of energy is essentially a form of regression. I mean, we have spent all of eternity, all of humanity, progressing, and we've now reached the point it apparently we've progressed too much, and so we need to regress backwards.
Speaker 2: It's a common sense decision, right, of course.
Speaker 5: The community should be consulted on these things. But most often when you have community consultation, whether it's from state government or council or whatever, they already made up their mind and then they go out with the bit of paper and saying, excuse me, sir, what do you think And cir comes back and says I don't like it, and they say, well, I don't care, made my mind up anyway, so it doesn't particularly matter. And maybe this is an example of how un actually doing what they'll say they'll.
Speaker 4: Do, no exactly.
Speaker 6: And then the problem is as well with community consultation, like we see this in housing all the time. How many councils willingly accept new homes in their council areas Very few. But I think we've gone too far the other way, where communities have been bulldozed and disrespected and not considered at all, which is actually breaking with precedent.
Speaker 4: So if you want a massive.
Speaker 6: Agriculture project or mining, you have to consult the people that will be affected. But there's a double standard when it comes to renewables. So seeing that corrected is a good thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people will be very happy with that decision.
Speaker 2: Let's just be real for a moment as well.
Speaker 5: So we've got all the green hydrogen projects gone right, Twiggy's pulling all of his money out. I think it's ninety nine percent of the green hydrogen projects having got past the approval stage. You've got wind projects gone. They're all disappearing overnight. And yet we're still saying that we're going to make net zero by twenty fifty, and we're going to have eighty percent of the grid renewable by twenty thirty. It's not going to happen. Everyone in the energy sector knows it's not.
Speaker 2: Going to happen. So why don't we just admit it won't happen and get rid of it.
Speaker 3: We'd of saying, thank God, it won't happen, because if you get eighty percent renewables in the grid, the experience of Spain is the grid won't sustain that, So God willing, we'll never get there.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including how's it Affordability hits a historic low, but one state opposition is promising to scrap stamp duty for first home buyers. We'll bring you all of that and more in just a moment. Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow. We'll start with the Daily Telegraph. The headline reads special report Housing affordability hits a historic low. Sydney's Unlucky thirteen. I'll explain the significance of thirteen. Shocking new data reveals owning a home is the impossible dream for young Sydney siders, with the median house price now thirteen times the average salary. The Australian Property Institute's report highlights the stark reality in which new buyers have been shut out of the market. The median house price in Sydney is now one point six million dollars and to afford a home in Sydney now they're saying you need to be on two hundred and fifty grand a year to be able to afford a home. So, as the article reports, just so many young people now just despairing that they will not even thinking about ever owning a home.
Speaker 1: It's his rent.
Speaker 6: And this is a failure of government, this is a policy failure. We live in a huge country, but we have this housing crisis because we've had too little supply and too much demand from massive levels of immigration. But if we move on now on that theme of housing, to the Herald Son, Libb's call of duty stamp duty acts for first home buys spending up to one million dollars under bold election promise from Victorian Opposition stamp duty would be acts for first home buys spending up to one million dollars if the Opposition is elected next year. Under the massive one billion dollar commitment, first home buyers would save up to fifty five thousand dollars in taxes on the purchase.
Speaker 4: Of any existing new home.
Speaker 6: Now it's estimated that this would benefit seventeen thousand Victorians in the first full year of operation. As someone who did just purchase a first home, I actually qualified for the I think it was fully stamp duty exempt, actually New South Wales, and it was huge.
Speaker 4: It was massive.
Speaker 6: Stamp duty is one of the most inefficient taxes in our tax system. It locks young people out of the property market. I think good on the Victorian Liberals.
Speaker 5: You know, when I bought my first joint, I think it was like a year when I was in South Australia. It was like a year before they brought in rules down there to get rid of stamp duty.
Speaker 2: So I paid full tot odds.
Speaker 5: To Steven Marshall at the time when he was running the joint, and he didn't take too kindly to me. After that it would seem so I'm sorry I made that donation to him. I think the point is to go back to the previous story. But you know, the impossible dream, as Andy Williams once saying, you should still dream the impossible dream and fight the unbeatable foe. But we have to recognize that even with these things like you know, removing stamp duty for first home bars, that number that it is now thirteen times.
Speaker 2: The average wage to buy a house is.
Speaker 5: A lot more than it was twenty years ago, and it's a lot more than it was twenty years before that.
Speaker 2: And I understand the argument.
Speaker 5: You know, young people pull yourselves up by your bootstraps, and times out of ten, I would absolutely say that, yes, don't sit around winging and asking for things and waiting for a handout and complaining how bad you've got it. But the reality is that the housing market has exploded and it is more difficult to buy a home now than it used to be. It's not just because all the kids are having avocado on toast. It is actually more difficult to buy a home. And if you don't address those I mean, I don't know. You've got two young sons, how do they feel, James about the possibility of buying their own home, and.
Speaker 3: It's how do I feel about having those two young sons and living with me forever?
Speaker 1: You mentioned Adelaide.
Speaker 3: Did you know Adelaide is now the sixth most expensive city in the world buy a house. Yep, more expensive than London, more expensive than New York, more expensive than Chicago.
Speaker 2: So that's no great surprise to everyone wants to be set you up beautifully to It is self evident, and lot people like me who bought but at the.
Speaker 5: Right time are cheering about that because I have made so much money in the last five years by doing literally nothing right. I bought the place right before the market went through the roof, and I've just sat on the asset and I've done well. I'll acknowledge that I've done very well by buying when I did, but I feel sorry for my younger brother. It's only a few years younger than me, but you know, the chances of him buying a home are exponentially more difficult than they were for me.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Let's move on to the.
Speaker 5: Australian tomorrow, where it says USI's Darwin Port Prize the US private equity firm with strong tires to the Trump administration is poised to make an offer to buy the Port of Darwin from its Chinese owner in a test of Anthony Albernizi's resolved to bring the port back under Western control.
Speaker 2: The Australian can reveal New.
Speaker 5: York based Cerebras Capital Management is preparing a formal proposal to buy the port from Landbridge Group billionaire owner Yi Ching, who was a close confidante of seeingior Chinese Communist Party figures. And let's hope that they actually managed to pull it off.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 5: Fact that we ever gave away the Port of Darwin in the first place is a disgrace. Thank you Malcolm Turnbull for that. And then, of course, when Anthony Albanizi had the opportunity to do something about this, commissioned to report that he then sat on for six months and released at four pm. I remember I was in here four pm on a Friday afternoon saying there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Port of Darwin being owned by the Chinese, approximately a week before he flew to China to meet with Jiji Pink. I mean, it's the oldest trick in the book. And then of course in the election.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well we'll do about the border, Darwen. I mean, for goodness sake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he made that pledge during the election to try to get ahead of the coalition, who of course always saw national security as one of their strengths.
Speaker 2: He didn't even know what he was pledging, but he has.
Speaker 3: Gotten quick, so he tried to, you know, nullify that as an issue. I don't believe that he's serious about I don't think many people really do.
Speaker 5: Indeed, another story on in front of the Ulster tomorrow, PM's Israel, since he hailed Palestine's representatives in Australia have ordered comments by Anthony Albinezi decrying Israel's actions in Gaza, describing his indivention as a significant quote unquote advancement in Australia's position on Palestine and urging the government to take concrete action against the Jewish state.
Speaker 2: These were the Prime Minister's comments today.
Speaker 11: Australia finds these actions as completely unacceptable and we find Israel's excuses and explanations completely untenable and without credibility. People are starving and the idea that a democratic state with hold's supply is an outrage.
Speaker 5: And of course there is talking about the supply of aid, food and supplies of course into Gaza. It's a vex question because of course it is immoral to deprive people of food and aid that they rightly deserve and absolutely need. On the other hand, you don't want to basically har mass with extra things.
Speaker 2: You know, the risk is that they take it away. So what do you actually meant to do?
Speaker 6: And one of the problems was this aid that was coming in and being distributed would inevitably end up in the hands of her mass.
Speaker 4: They would then sell it on the black.
Speaker 6: Market, rake in profits and use that to pay their people and keep recruiting this. But this comes back to the fundamental question of the entire war. The best thing for Palestinians, the best thing for Garzens, is to get rid of her Maas, and any way the Israelis can do that by depriving them of by depriving her Mass of access to the aid that they can loot and root, is a good thing. And also the accusation that there was going to be mass starvation in Israel was a shameless libel against the Jewish state that was categorically debunked totally.
Speaker 4: There is suffering but that's war. So let's get rid of her maas and end the war, return the hostages.
Speaker 6: This is just a classic case. I think now Albaneze has won the prime won the election again, he doesn't care about the Jewish community and is abandoning them once again.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd just like him to speak as strongly as he did then about the hostages exactly being released. As he does every time he talks about his perceived wrongs regarding Israeliti's never the same.
Speaker 4: Let's move on to another story.
Speaker 6: Two foreign nationals have been banned full life from Ularu after they were busted defacing it, with their embassy issuing the ban and an apology to the Anangu traditional owners for the deep offense the foreign nationals cause. Now this is in the Northern Territory News and the headline reads banned for life. Apparently they're from the Bhutan embassy. A quick Google search showed so I don't really know what's going on here. I kind of want to know.
Speaker 8: How they defaced Ularu.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's bad no matter what it was, but I'm just curious what they did.
Speaker 3: It shows how sensitive this is that their own embassy have said they are gone and they.
Speaker 1: Will never return.
Speaker 2: They got the twig out.
Speaker 5: We was here as you used to put in the tree back in primaries.
Speaker 1: Hey really quickly before we go to a break.
Speaker 3: The Gold Coast Bulletin has a story for AFL lovers on the cusp of history. The Gold Coast Sons have never started better as they close in on a final spot. Got my attention, Caleb, you're an AFL man. The Sons have been in the competition for well over a decade, have never made the finals. But has any Gold Coast sporting team on a national basis ever done well?
Speaker 1: And why would they?
Speaker 3: You young people on the Gold Coast, you're on lots of money, you're on the beachrav than training and becoming the best athlete.
Speaker 5: You think it'd be a bit like Geelong because all the players go in there because they love the lifestyle.
Speaker 2: It's a very good question. I don't know of anywhere that's done it. I just love that. Ross Lyne, the coach of Sint Kilda the other day, called them the Nippo babies that.
Speaker 1: Did not go down.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to go to a break when we come back. Some extraordinary footage of the French president was he having a fight with his wife. Were they just mucking around? Will let you decide in just a moment. Welcome back, Caleb. Some extraordinary footage of the French president. It's got me puzzled this way.
Speaker 5: I think we needed a welfare check to be perfectly honest, on Emmanuel Macron. He landed in Vietnam and this is what the camera's captured. As the doors opened on the front of the plane. There's the president there, and then you will see he gets.
Speaker 2: Smacked in the face, or at.
Speaker 5: Least pushed, and he sort of gestures back to the bloke there, smiles at him, and then turns around and with a far more stern look on his face, walked back onto the play And then you can see that is the sleeve that you saw pushing Macron in the face.
Speaker 2: Was that of his wife, Bridget.
Speaker 5: Now you know whether or not that was some sort of playful tiff or she was actually going at him, you know, I mean, that's a potential case to domestic violence right there.
Speaker 2: I think it should be pointed out.
Speaker 5: If that was him doing that to her, there wouldn't even be a discussion about it. He would have to resign tomorrow and I don't think we can have double standards about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really interesting point.
Speaker 3: And you can see his reaction there when he realizes there are cameras and his stern face becomes a quick smile, waves and then disappears back in. It's very weird footage. I don't know if we'll get an explanation such.
Speaker 6: A strange moment, but there's a lot about the French that's quite weird. But moving on now to another weird episode. Chris Bowen was reprimanded by a Catholic priest for chomping down on a bowl of knocky pasta mid mass. He arrived late to the mass, then proceeded to enter and sit down in the front row and started eating his pasta through the rest of the mass. Now, rightfully, religious leaders have criticized this as being quite disrespectful and insensitive. But he's claiming he didn't even know he was in a mass. I don't know what's more ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I think it's easy to believe Chris Bowen had no idea where he was, because he typically has no idea about anything. Let's give the final word tonight to former US Vice president and presidential candidate Kamala Harris. She of course, is in Australia speaking on the weekend and the Gold Coast at a real estate conference of all things. She was interviewed extensively, and he's just a short clip of some of what she said.
Speaker 2: As I said, I think your best work is a hinterview for sure, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Unemployed right now.
Speaker 1: Two things. Thank god she's unemployed.
Speaker 3: But for the host to say, Kamala, your best work is ahead.
Speaker 1: Of you, I don't think that would be very difficult.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, I think that is entirely true because she is now unburdened by what has been so everything that does come ahead of you is surely better than any things she's done in the past.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, That's all we've got time for tonight. Appreciate your company. This evening stick around to coming up in just a moment is to read a penny show.
Speaker 1: Good Night.