Speaker 1: I got a welcome to another installment in the show. Of course, it is the Project Tiffany, and Cook is not here. She's in the hammock, she's in the jacuzzi, she's anywhere but the virtual studio. But I tell you who has rocked up driven straight to the virtual studio in his ten year old Volvo station Wagon, which I said I wouldn't talk about on air, but fuck it. David James, Kevin Patrick Gillespie.
Speaker 2: Good I mate.
Speaker 1: I did ask you randomly off air what kind of car and you were You were amused by that, and I was just thinking, just because you're a kind of a practical functional dude with a practical functional car, so I wasn't surprised at the answer. You've never been a You've never been an ausy bogan concern with zero to one hundred and the horsepower and Newton meters and all that shit.
Speaker 2: No. No, as long as it gets me from A to B, then job done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you been having a squiz at the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I have. I have, indeed, because of my involvement with handball, which I think we course once or twice. You know, it's good having a two week long handball competition that you can just tune in and watch for free on Telly and with an English commentary no less, oh.
Speaker 1: Really of course? And who's I mean who did well? Like I didn't see one minute of handball.
Speaker 2: So it's so Denmark won the men and Norway won the women, which and neither of those were particularly unexpected results. But a lot of them are full of people who've been there for a good decade or so, so it's going to be a changing of the.
Speaker 1: Guard, okay. And who how many countries in the world, Like if we look at you know, like for example, I worked with the Melbourne Dixens and Melbourne Phoenix and some of the Australian netballers and Collingwood in the National Netball League. But if we look at netball as an example as a sport globally, you know, it is an international sport, but there's probably about four or five countries that are really good at it, four or five that are pretty good, five that are emerging, and then no one else in the world gives a shit. What's the equivalent with handball? Like how many countries really play it and really are good at it?
Speaker 2: There? Well, all of Europe play it, which is what it tends to be called European handball. It's the I think it's the third biggest participation sport in Europe behind soccer or football as people like to call it, and I think the other one there is basketball is a big one, but so handball's behind that. The professional leagues there are absolutely huge. A lot of the players that were running around at the Olympics of you know, earning tens of millions of dollars a year playing handball. There's three million people in Europe play it. It's huge in South America as well, probably the European influence there. North America is pretty much like Australia, which is what's regarded as a developing nation where you know, I guess, I guess what Zimbabwe is to netball is what we are to handle. Yeah, but it's massively bigger than netball. Netball's wildest dreams couldn't be that big. I mean the gold medal match, so the final four matches in the women's and men's comp at the Olympics were at a capacity stadium with thirty thousand people, so you know, each each match thirty thousand people. So it's a big sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy, I am. I'm just trying to find something now. I put up a post the other day about about the relative kind of per capita medals. Like a few people have put up a few things, but at the time that I wrote it, which was I think Friday night, nine pm or something, New Zealand with a population of five million, they were doing very well. Yeah, and they finished with nine gold medals, like five million. You know, there's more than five million people where I live, like in Melbourne, right, it's yea. And I'm thinking, then I extrapolated that out, and I'm thinking, well, China has when I looked to give or take one point four and a bit billion, you know, And I was thinking, wow, if they had a similar kind of per head ratio, they'd be up to fourteen hundred gold medals, right, and like if it was if Obviously it doesn't work that way and there's a lot of variables around it. But I'm thinking, while I'm very proud of Australia and all that, clearly I did no fucking work, neither did you. I find that a funny thing. How oh, how well are we doing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm not doing anything I'm just the people. Yeah, yeah, it's funny how we take ownership.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and in my case, I'm not even watching Australians.
Speaker 1: Well that's exactly right, but you know there's a reason for that. But yeah, they ended up with nine gold medals in a country of you know, five million people. When you think there's something like forty million people that live in California or something. It's you know, it's fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: But you always punches above their weight. I mean you just look at them in the rugby for starters. Yeah, you know, they're always they are a sports mad nation. They they're the sports crazy state of Australia. They don't like being referred to that way, but that's pretty much how I think of them.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: And what did you make of the Big Girl controversy?
Speaker 1: Oh do you know what? Okay? Everyone, so we're talking about the breakdown, to which in the Olympic call it breaking. I don't want to get in trouble.
Speaker 2: I just gone have an opinion.
Speaker 1: Harp, No, well my opinion, you know, like so part of me is like, well done. You had to go when I first saw it, honestly, and this is just I didn't know if it was a parent or if it was I don't know. I don't know. Look, I think good on her for having a go, But and people like I saw people coming out going, oh, stop stop putting women down, and is that like for me, it's got nothing to do with gender. It's got everything to do with skill and ability. And yeah, I want to sit on the fence because I don't want to get in trouble. But yeah, well, clearly, clearly she wasn't at the same level as the other competitors. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just isn't that Isn't that the equivalent of saying, you know, qualifying for one hundred meters knowing that your best time in one hundred meters is twenty seconds, and you're going to be racing against people who do ten seconds and then and then rather than running against them and doing your twenty seconds, you decide, you know what, I'm going to skip. Yeah, you know, I don't know if that's what happened.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean obviously, well, you know, we're we think about the Olympics. I'm generalizing, we think about the best athletes on the planet with the best fitness, best strength, power, speed, skill like the elite of the elite, and I don't know like good on a like. I think good on A for having a go, And I think if she's happy and people enjoyed it, then I think it's good.
Speaker 2: Well, I worry. I mean, I don't know breakdancing from anything else. I know zero about breakdancing. I don't know how good bad her and different her performance was. All I'm talking about is a controversy about it. And the thing that concerns me coming from I guess a sports administration perspective, you know, being involved in handball is who missed out on that place? Is the question that occurs to me. You know, I struggle to believe that there are very you know, I suspect there's a lot of dance schools around Australia with lots of people who do breakdancing. I presume I don't know anything about it, but I presume there must be where there are no other people to choose from. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I think the answer to that is again, so anyone listening to these two are white middle aged men. We both will acknowledge it. We both acknowledge we do not know anything about this, No, but what I think I do know is that I think there was like essentially trials, and she was she won.
Speaker 2: I think she was the best, and then she deserved to be there, didn't she exactly exactly?
Speaker 1: So if that was the process and she came out and she was the best of the people who tried to qualify for the team, and she won that well, got through that process being number one, then han't absent. She deserves to be there.
Speaker 2: Then really the only critique critique people can give her is, well, you know, if you came through a fair trial process just like everybody else, and you and you were the one selected, then you have just as much right to be there as anybody else. And and and then what you're really doing is critiquing the artistry of what she did. And given that this is a dance thing, not not I mean I might inflame people by saying this, but it's dance not sport in my view, then artistry is part of the deal. So what you're really saying is I don't like the routine she chose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think also, you know, the artistry slash creative expression, like you think about like I've literally tried. I've trained a bunch of Olympic athletes and one of the girls that I trained was in I can't of remember which games, but anyway, she was a synchronized swimmer. Her name is Bethany Walsh. And honestly, when I her dad approached me and went, would you work with my daughter? She's an Olympian? And I went, what sport? And he told me and I went, not a sport, though, is it? You know? I didn't really I didn't really think that. I just my idea and then I I was completely wrong. By the way, before anyone sends me an email, I went and watched them, tray, I went and watched what these girls have to do and how fucking strong and fit and talented, and I mean, it is a demanding sport. But then there are other things, like you know, I think like we have these like contrasting events like the Wimmens one hundred meters you know, or blokes hundred meters where it's just power speed like which you know, is like a completely athletic it seems to be event. And then other things like you know, the rhythmic gymnastics, which is still very strong, very fit, but a much more kind of creative subjective.
Speaker 2: There's no clear subjective elements, don't but it has objective elements to it because it's part of the gymnastics stuff. But it's also got some artistic subjective elements to it, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, and I then there's the sports like you know, weightlifting and rowing and basketball and sprinting and just watch. Yeah, there's someone's whoever's got the best or the right number, the lowest time or the heaviest weight or the most points on the board that they just win as long as they work within the rules. But then there's this other thing where we go and even diving, Like I look at the diving and I go, oh, that was fucking incredible, and then they're like scored lower what do I know? And someone else who I think, yeah, that was You.
Speaker 2: Can tell that there's a lot of subjectivity in something like diving because you see them even the way they score. You know, I don't know how many judges they have, but it's like seven or eight judges, and then they knock out the highest and lower scores, which tells you that even the people who are professionals are judging this get it wrong from their perspective, and that's why they take out the highest and lower scores. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also even in the boxing, I watched fair bit of boxing, and there was numerous times where of the five judges, three awarded it to the blue corner and two awarded it to the red corner. And they just watched the same thing. And I'm like, sixty percent of the judges said Brian one and forty said fucking Dave one, and they just watched this. Yes, do you know what I mean? So it ends up in a split decision. But yeah, I don't think you and I intended to bang on about the Olympics, but.
Speaker 2: There we already didn't know. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Look what it is is, it's a phenomenon that you know, a few people have spoken about, let's just keep going with a few people have spoken about the reality that it generates billions of dollars, but the athletes don't get any of that. And then then you look at the even within countries, like if you win a gold medal in Australia, I've seen two different reported numbers, but it's either fifteen or twenty thousand bucks, which to me seems fuck all for an Olympic gold medal, but especially when you if you're a first round loser at Wimbledon, I think you get seventy or eighty grand if.
Speaker 2: You're to get to winner. Pardon the trick is to get to Wimbledon, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but there's still like yeah, but still you know it's you're losing a match of tennis and you're getting one hundred or whatever. I guess so, But but then you're winning an Olympic gold medal for Australia and you get fifteen or twenty grand. Live in Singapore, you get seven hundred and fifty grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although if you are at least an individual who wins a gold medal at an Olympics, yes, you're probably going to be able to turn that into some money through sponsorships, endorsement, speaking career, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, Like I think the technically all gold medals are Olympic gold medals, they're all equal, but financially, commercially they're definitely not all equal, are they in terms of you know, like a a friend of mine is an Olympic gold medalist, Lauren who won the Lauren Burns who won the Taekwondo Olympic gold for US Australia in the two thousand Olympics. And you know, she's a great athlete. She deserved a gold medal. She's amazing. She's also got a PhD. She's also a corporate speaker. But you know, she will tell you she earns about nine dollars thirty a year through that gold medal. You know, it certainly doesn't hurt, but you know she has to work, she has to study, she has to grind.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd heard of her, so it's worth something.
Speaker 1: Oh have you heard of her?
Speaker 2: When you said her name? It rung a bell with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well I think yeah she was. Who's her dad? Was it Ronnie Burns? I think the Australian anyway, So let's just quickly talk about what we were going to talk about.
Speaker 2: We're actually going to Yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: You mentioned to me the just about chatting about the what seems to be the increasing prevalence of you know, people being people pulling knives on police and the subsequent you know, goings on of people with mental health issues who are you know, either being tasered or shot or and it seems like is it disproportionate in Queensland or we just get more exposure to it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't done any sort of comprehensive analysis of it. But what prompted me to raise this with you is it's been on the news a bit here in Queensland on the weekend because there's been a police shooting of a fellow who pulled a knife on police in a hospital and I think he survived it, but there's been a lot of reporting about it because they are saying this is the sort of third time it's happened recently, and I think the Queensland Police Union are saying there needs to be there needs to be an inquiry in relation to mental health in Australia that most of what police are dealing with when they go out on calls now is dealing with people with mental health issues. Now. He didn't cite any statistics for that, so I don't know, but just going on his word, and I guess head of the Police union probably knows something about it, it does seem logical that a lot of what police spend their time doing is dealing with people with mental health issues in the community and So what I did do is going to have a look at the statistics on this and have the rates of reported mental health issues in the community increase. So when you talk about mental health issues in the community and you start looking at the health statistics on it, they divide him into sort of three groups, which is anxiety, depression, what they call effective disorders, and drug abuse related disorders. So mental health is a kind of a vague word to use, and the media uses it a lot, but it really only means those things. Right. There's people who are schizophrenic slash psychotic and people who aren't. And this is all seen as a spectrum. So anxiety is at the light end of that spectrum. It progresses towards schizophrenia and are sorry to psychosis, which is an isolator or a single event of extreme paranoia, through to schizophrenia, which is recurring events of extreme paranoia. Now those are all paranoia. Is another way of saying anxiety about the intentions of other humans. Right, So if you think about what anxiety is, anxiety is an overestimation of risk. So you look at the environment, and you all of us do this all the time. We look at the environment and we estimate a potential danger to us in that environment. And people who don't have mental health issues, I guess you want to call them normal. If you want estimate, to say, the environmental risk. You might be looking around you now and thinking about the environmental risk and see nothing that's particularly threatening to you and nothing that's putting you in fear of your life or any sort of danger to you. But a person who is suffering from anxiety is overestimating that same risk set in your environment. So I don't know what's in your environment. There might be some electronics to do with this podcast, for example, and a person with extreme anxiety might be looking at those electronics and be worried about being electrocuted. Even though you might say, you know, I'm assessing the risk here as load and non existent. What anxiety does is change the risk assessment materior in your brain. And we've talked about before how that happens. So that's because too many hits of dopamine caused by either a too stressful environment or addiction raises are tolerance level, which adjusts the input values for your brain in terms of assessing risk. So the higher that threshold goes, that is the more stress you are under, or the more addiction you are exposed to, the worse you become at assessing assessing environmental risk. So the more addicted you are, the more stressed you are, the more likely you are to significantly overestimate the risk in your environment. And we call that anxiety, which is stress about risk overestimating the danger to you. Now, what happens is that if you allow that to go for too long, that then transfers into an overestimator of the overestimation of the dane of other humans. So you start to worry about the intentions of others. So you might be in an environment where there's nothing there other than another person, but you are overestimating the risk of that person. You start thinking that they are there to do you harm, even though there's nothing to a normal person sitting in the room, there's nothing about them that suggests that they might do you harm, you know them or whatever. As this risk assessment gets pushed out of whack by addictional stress, you start to have fears about the intention of others, and when that becomes extreme it gets called a psychotic event, right, which is that you are so upset or in fear of your life because of the intention of another person that you are forced to act against them. So you are in a place where you've got to stop them before they hurt you, even though there's nothing that would suggest they are going to you know, in a normal assessment, that's their view of things, and often when police called out that's what they're encountering. They're encountering someone who's in that state. So a person who sees the police as an imminent threat, and obviously they are, But to a normal person, it's all I've got to do is stop behaving weirdly and the police will stop being an imminent threat. But that calculation is not possible when your brain's risk assessment capability is out of whack. So the question is has there been an actual increase in the things that are being measured here, And the answer is very definitely yes. So if we look at the last time it was surveyed in two thousand and nine, estimated that there was about eleven percent of the population we're suffering depression, anxiety, or other serious mental illness, so usually drug related about eleven percent in two thousand and nine at any given moment in time, right, So, well, it's actually reportab within the last twelve months. So in twenty twenty one when they did the same survey again, it was nineteen percent. Wow, that is so acid. So that's almost doubling in a ten year period. So that's significant. You've gone from one in ten people to one in five people in ten years. And if that's what's going on in the environment, it's little wonder that police are finding themselves increasingly facing people who have no control over the fact that their brain is telling them that these people are an imminent threat to me, not just the police, but everybody around them, and to me, that's a concern. It's a concern that this is a surprise to anyone. It's a concern that it isn't headline news every day of the week. And it's a concern that the best anyone can ask for is a Royal Commission into mental health. We don't need a Royal Commission into mental health, which is what the police union fellow was asking for. I could look at those stats. I don't I'm not a Royal commissioner. I just looked up the stats on the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's website. It tells the story immediately, which is something is going on here. Now. You and I have talked in the past about why would that be, Why would suddenly the incidents of this stuff have doubled, And we know the answer. We flooded the population with the very things we know are just that threshold measure of risk. We know that when you make someone an addict, which is why, by the way, drug related psychosis is lumped in with these mental illnesses, when you make someone an addict, you are just that threshold determinant of risk. Now, before two thousand and nine, that was relatively rare. It only affected one in ten people. Since two thousand and nine, it's gone off like a rocket. What have we done that has introduced massive amounts of addiction into the population since two thousand and nine. Any clues?
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I would think tech technology, scraps.
Speaker 2: We've importantly, we've put access to software designed to addict the human brain in the hands of every teenager in the country, which is the point in life where this occurs, that is where all addictions start. We've put devices in their hands that are the equivalent of a dopamine button that gives repeated, continuous hits of dopamine the thing we know are just risk tolerance, and then we are surprised when that is exactly what occurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder, I mean like when I listen to you break this down, which I've listened to similar things with you before, and it makes complete sense. Is there anyone else sharing this gospel or sharing this this line of thinking? Like is anyone else drawing these putting these jigsaw pieces together like you do?
Speaker 2: Like because yeah, you know you go on, you know you finished and finish.
Speaker 1: I was also this is like an adjacent conversation. But the other thing that occurs to me with all of this, and so andswer which one you want first, is that like on top of the people with elevated anxiety and paranoia and situational whatever that the cops go into, then there's the cops themselves that have been anxious and traumatized and potentially elevated. Like I work with police, and that there aren't too many cops who don't have their own trauma. Who are you dealing with something? Because of they need to be perpetually hyper vigilant.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, remember the other way to induce this state is of stress. So they're going the other pathway, which is if you're constantly exposed to stress, then you'll have the same thing. Now that's by design, by the way, because you want to be hyper vigilant and hyper alert if you are in an environment where you are constantly in very real danger. So that is a pro evolutionary thing. It's not good for your mental health, you know, which is why.
Speaker 1: It's it's good for in the moment survival, But it's a nervous system all for anything over the long time, no.
Speaker 2: Because it leaves that risk. The risk assessment doesn't change as soon as you are in a non threatening environment. So it's it's the same thing as happens with addiction, which is that you are left with that risk assessment set too high. And so the other interesting thing is that there's massive crossover then between someone who's in that state and addiction. So a person exposed to chronic stress is most likely to be addicted to something. Someone who is addicted to something is most likely to be in a situation of chronic stress. So there's massive overlap between those two things.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously there's no quick solution, but and this is very left field, but do do police in Coinsland carry tasers.
Speaker 2: They do, yes, right, and and the use of those has increased. I think I saw in the story about this that the use of those has increased massively in the last year or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, Well, I mean it's a you know, I'm sure no one wants to be tasered, but I'd rather be tasered than shot with a bullet.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the guidelines for use of a taser is a policeman is only supposed to draw it when they feel under imminent threat. Yes, so under personal threat. So it's so the fact that it's being used more frequently tells you that there's more threat. It's a more threatening environment. Yeah. So, you know, the problem we've got here is that we now have, you know, in the space of a decade, double the number of people in the population who are likely to be a threat, and we are doing nothing about that. We are you know, we've done it using a device designed to create exactly this issue, and we are doing exactly nothing about it. So don't expect solutions to appear soon, no matter how many Royal commissions are held.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, the use of tech is not going to go down. No, No, people are not going to be using these things less.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, because because it's addictive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I'm saying. So what's the answer then, or what's part of the answer.
Speaker 2: The part of the answer is exactly the same answer as if we were having this conversation I don't know fifteen years ago when I first wrote about sugar, the answer would be exactly the same. Stop using it. Understand And people say, well, you know, how do I do that? Well, you have to understand where it is and how you're ingesting it. You know, if you talk to a smoker, for example, no one accidentally shoves a cigarette in their mouth and lights it. They understand exactly what they're doing. And when we have this conversation with people, like I said fifteen years ago about sugar, you know, it's the accidental ingestion. It's not understanding what you're doing that's the problem. And once you know what you're doing, people are smart enough to stop it. You know, people are smart enough to stand back from an addiction once they understand that it is an addiction and do something about it. Most people will People are not self destructive. Most people will say, I actually don't want to do this. I don't want my brain messed with. I want to step back from it. But at the moment, the prevailing narrative is not only is this safe, this is necessary, and we have to give our kids these devices to use in schools. We have to be able to step back from that and realistically say, no, oops, sorry, made a bit of a mistake, accidentally distributed highly addictive stuff to school children. But it's okay, we're on it. We'll stop doing that now.
Speaker 1: But I guess the difference between you know, in the cigarette analogy, the difference is that you know, technology is integrated into every like literally every component of our existence now.
Speaker 2: But a person who smokes a cigarette today knows exactly what they are doing and they don't care. Okay, they know what they're doing, they know the potential damage. They know it's addictive, which is why there's only about thirteen percent of people who still do it. But and there'll be a component of that no matter what you're talking about, people who will say, you know what, I know it's addictive. I don't care. I enjoy it. It's a pleasurable thing for me. I need it. I'm doing it anyway. I don't care but the vast majority of people who indulge in addictive behavior don't want to be doing it, and once they know that that's what they're doing, they will take steps to stop doing it.
Speaker 1: I feel like with and this is just a feeling, not a bloody fact, but I feel like with technology, you know, people will be listening to this, nodding along, going yeah, people should do something about that, but it's not.
Speaker 2: Well, there's an asset test, isn't there, you know, And this is the one I put out to people when I speak to groups, which is people will often say, I'll say, you know what all you've got to do is stop doing it, you know, stop using Instagram. People not their heads and say yeah, yeah, I can stop doing that, no worries at all. And I say, oh, excellent, all right, so just delete the app from your phone. I'll go, yeah, yeah, I can do that, and you'll say, oh, that's good. But you know, I know you're thinking in the back of mind, I can just reinstall later if I get desperate. So now delete your account then, and people start having a rob.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's different, isn't it. That's different.
Speaker 2: That's permanent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So so I know we're going to wind up. But pursuant to this, your honor, have you been and I know your kids are mostly older now, but have you consciously kind of created framework or rules or you know, standards in your house with your kids around all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, absolutely so. One of the books I wrote about this teen Brain, which was the first one I wrote, I think, came out twenty sixteen something like that. It actually described what we do in our household and we unfortunately, they attended a school where devices were mandatory, so hipads were mandatory. So it took every gram of willpower and sticking to the cause approach to things to regulate their use of those, because they come home with the device right, and then they're off to their bedroom or whatever. And unless you're prepared to ride them like a pony on this stuff right and get that device back and put it in a public place and make sure it is not touched again and keep monitoring it, then they're just too quick and it's too easy and too portable unless you are. So. One of my kids, the eldest, who were sort of pre this area, created a little stand he made out of wood which which they could all sit on to be charged, and it was just made it really really easy to keep an eye on, you know, you just had to be able to count. Then, right, Okay, there's four kids and there's four devices. That's it. They're all in that in one place. I know it. If one's missing, you know, you've got to go hunting. But that's just what the device the school required them to do. With phones, we ban them entirely, not in I mean, they had phones, but they were the twenty dollars cheapies you get from came up. But all they can do is make and receive phone calls. They didn't have the kind you know, they didn't have smartphones, and which was fortunate because when the only thing a phone does is make and receive phone calls, it gets lost a lot. Yeah, so it was good that they were cheap, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: And now that now that there will some of them are how old is your youngest?
Speaker 2: My youngest now are twenty Well they're turning twenty one this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so all your are adults, and do they ever talk to you about growing up in that environment and their pleasure or displeasure or at that, you know, is it like I'm glad you did that, dad, or you were a fucking tyrant dad.
Speaker 2: I don't ever expect to be thanked for stuff like this by your kids. I they now because they're adults. You know, they have their own phones, they use them, and they probably spend way too much time on them. But I think I can detect that they're not addicted to them. And that's because a critical thing to remember about this is it is growth stage dependent. All addictions start between the onset of puberty and about eight to nine years later. So that's because that's the particular part of the growth of the human brain when something that protects us against addiction is turned off, and that is turned off to allow puberty to happen and to allow a certain part of the brain to grow. This has been known long before we had devices that all addictions start in the teens. Alcoholics became alcoholics in their teens. All smokers became smokers in their teens. It's not just you know, anecdotes, that's what the evidence says. So it is singularly the worst possible time to expose anybody to anything potentially addictive, and yet that's exactly what we are doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's when the door's open widest last one before we go with all of these what seems to be an upsurge in knife attacks if we're correlating it to you know, in some way, and the increase in mental health anxiety, depression, drug related mental health to doubling in ten years, blah blah blah, and one of the byproducts of that might be these knife attacks. But at the same time, or it's just interesting to note that the vast majority of the knife attack ers men. So yeah, like, well, maybe that's not true, but like I rarely, you know, all of the stuff that we see on the news is invariably it's men with knives.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you've noticed, Craig, but there's a difference between men and women, and it's.
Speaker 1: A lot when you're sarcastic, it's a good thing that you're in another state. You on the nose.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a key difference. It's a really really important difference. It's a little hormone called testosterone, and testosterone has a significant effect on impulse control. So when you're loaded to the eyeballs with testosterone, as any male, particularly a male between the start of puberty and sort of their early thirties. Is they have significantly less impulse control than a female of the same and I'm talking massively less, which is which is why violent crimes tend to be committed by people who fit that age and gender. And it's it's that when you wire someone to consider the world more dangerous than the average person would regard it, and then you dial their impulse control down to zero, predictable things happen.
Speaker 1: M So I mean, yeah, so it's that combination really, because we're not even though women are subjected to the same stressors and I would think anxiety depression and you know, is as high or higher in some instances, but they're not running around with knives. So another significant factor is that is that is testosterone?
Speaker 2: Well absolutely, and you see it come through in suicide statistics, so yes, you see. I mean I really don't like referring to it as success, but success suicides are more often performed by males.
Speaker 1: And such a crazy term that that isn't it? It's like, yeah, but that is the term, So don't send us an email because that is the term that is used everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's it's the same thing at play, which is less impulse control, more testosterone, more ability to complete the act. And you see that in the methodology of suicide. It's chosen as well. So females frequently will choose a you know, like an overdose or something that doesn't involve a violent, you know, attack on themselves, whereas a male will will have no concerns about it being a train whatever. I don't want to talk about this in detail, but it's but there are very obvious differences to that. There's a lot of research on why, and it does come back to that difference in testosterone loading and impulse control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, amazing. Well we started on a high and finished kind of on a low. But it's all interesting. It's all interesting, and just quickly back to something momentarily more positive. Thirty seconds. So, how did the Australian handballers go?
Speaker 2: There were no Australian handballs Australia for an Olympics in a pink fit honestly, Oh really, So there's I think there's sixteen countries make it qualify to the Olympics, and the qualification pathways very long and through various pathways. Australia would have almost zero hope of it. We were there in two thousand because we're the host country, and we'll be there in twenty thirty two because we'll be the host country. But that'll be baud it. I'd say, all right, might appreciate you as year later.