Speaker 1: If you're in my hot seat, that's what you want to go in, little challenge. I don't want to be challenged, right, yeah, yeah, he's doing his best.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have to worry about dad when.
Speaker 3: He was a kid. So what a you're do when you grow up and you said, I'm going to take.
Speaker 2: All your joke all your jobs used to laugh and jokes as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, well that really works.
Speaker 1: And now you're working together and love that. A team, family unit, family team, that's what.
Speaker 2: Well, if you can't trust your family, well who can you trust?
Speaker 1: No one?
Speaker 2: No, no, apparently not. That's what that's what we live by. So we are we're out of your studio here and where you record your podcast? Head Game?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah, So run us through. What it's about.
Speaker 1: The head Game is just talking to ordinary people that have extraordinary stories. So what I do is I tap into their mindset on how they've overcome certain situations, the mindset they utilized, and you know, whether that was fear panic, whether they were facing a certain phobia. Because the people that I interview are left with one option in life, and it's almost like a do or die and sometimes it is that serious they've got to make a decision otherwise they're not going to make it through. But also do or die with decisions about work, decisions about family. You know, all these hard choices and how they got through certain situations. So it's fascinating because everyone has a story yet has well.
Speaker 2: I imagine sports people and military people. You know that's your strength, like that's they're the probably people you relate to most. Who's surprised you of the guests you've had on.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I've had all sorts of guests, And this is where Nova's so good at just you know, hand picking these these individuals because I like to really not do too much homework. I like to just take them at face value, really tap into their story. And I might have have certain questions for example, and then I've asked none of them users like you've asked none of these questions. But what a hell of a podcast because we just go off on a tangrum and I just really feel where they're going and try and extract their story of raw emotions. So I've had I've had people that have had their faces ripped off by by bears in Canada. I've had people stuck in minds, you know that where the oxygen's diminishing and they're slowly dying, but they're having to really dig deep psychologically and put on certain emotions, whether that's family, whether that's loved ones, whether that's just the sheer will to survive. And what I love about my podcast is these people are left with one option, you know, and when you're left with one option in life, you'll be amazed at what you can achieve, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Isn't when you look at things like you know, and we always liking it. Sport, it's people say, you know, when you go into professional sport, you've got to do one thing. You're going to make sure. You've got to plan V. Well, sometimes you want to make it. Don't have a plan B. That's all or.
Speaker 1: Nothing, matty, You are bang on there. And it's the same in the military. As long as there's a plan, there's a there's a way through. You know, a lot of people are so risk adverse nowadays. What they want they want to plan, they want they want the solution, the option, and then they want to plan a, B, C, D and E around it, and they go right, as long as you've got three or four plans around it, then we can execute what needs to be done.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Is there an option? Is there one option forward?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: If there is, go for it.
Speaker 2: Well we've had an amazing life. But more recently, you just got back from Everest base camp as well. Because the big fella here, Matthew, mate, he's he doesn't like toot his own hole and he's very humble, but he went to I do Yeah, he went to base camp as well with a few of his ex teammates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we did actually to what happened, and we did it, and then we went and celebrated after we hit it. And then a guy come to the come to the tea house and said, listen, there's one further up color Batan, why don't you do then? This one's not too hard, And me and my old captain we went and did it. I got to say it. I've got so much respect for you your military guys, because I remember doing it. Get un in the morning, just filling, that's sick in the stomach, and I'm walking up and I'm saying to my old captain Chief, I said, I'm exhausted, I'm sick in the stomach, I'm deteriorating quickly. Can imagine being in war. We're in carbull and there might be someone hiding in a cave and everything. It's just like it shows the mental tough and of you guys.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Matti just to do? Every space camp is no easy feat. People think that it's at the base of a mountain. It's three hundred meters on the way to Mount Everest, which sits just below nine thousand meters, so you're more than halfway up Mount Everest. It's higher than most of the seven summits. So just to get there with the lack of oxygen that you know, and the lack of knowledge. And I always say to my to my clients, because I took ten clients recently up to every space camp, Listen to your body. Be aware. The altitude will pinch you in the ass at a certain time that you won't expect it. Your emotions will be everywhere. You feel like you can't breathe, you start to panic and fear will kick in, and that's when you know that you need to really really listen to your body. It's no easy feet makes the hats off to you and the isummated Mount Everest actually to the top in twenty eighteen, so you under the top. Yeah, I went to the top in twenty and eighteen, and then I just took ten clients on a sort of VIP expedition to every space company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you've been to the top, how like when you do base camp? I imagine, do you not feel like the a climate, like the lack of oxygen since you've been to the top, is your like white blood cells that you must have not really felt anything going to base camp then or No.
Speaker 1: You always have to acclimatize. Once you're a way from from the mountains, let's call it, once you've sort of come down from the mountains, there's probably a two to three week period that you were acclimatized. So say I came down from Mount Iris and I wanted to go and jump on let's see the fourth biggest mountain in the world or the fifth you know lots say for example, which is I think it's it's at eight at eight three, I will be acclimatized to go and do that. However, if I'm away from the mountains for two three weeks and I have to reacclimatize so I have to go back into the process of making sure that I take my time, making sure that you know that I'm well fed and well nourished, because the high you get, the lack of oxygen sort of suppresses your hunger. It suppresses you know, it suppresses all of your main organs. Therefore your body is slowly shutting down.
Speaker 2: Well, this is now. Look, I haven't done Everest, but I've been an air locker, so I don't. Oh, well, I haven't. Okay, this is such a such a wrong ruin to bring this up, but I did air the other day.
Speaker 3: I'll get a journator call. This is an amazing story leading on.
Speaker 2: Mate, They'll make documentaries about this shit. I went to and look, I've been retired from rugby league for a year and a half, two years, so I talked about a climatization for training. I'm not well acclimatized to get back in the gym, but I went and did air locker. Holy hecker. When they like stripped the oxygen out of it, it is that tough, like the lack of if you do a big effort on an assault bike or something and then you're trying to get your breath and recover. You just don't get it. You actually just cannot get your breath back. Like it was tough.
Speaker 3: I spewed.
Speaker 2: I spewed, not proud of it, but I spewed everywhere in that airlocker gym, and people were like scoffing at.
Speaker 1: Me, good mate, as you were working.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it wasn't like that because it was like five minutes in well.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking about mental toughness. So and you learned a lot about life, mental toughness about people through the military. It's tough as it gets seventeen years of age. Now you served Northern I on Macedonia, Afghanistan. He did security work in Africa. I can imagine they're all so different. What was what was it? What was the I'm trying to scary is that I don't want to use the most unpredictable. What what did you find the most challenging?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Throughout my career, I suppose I was introduced quite correctly into the process. So when I when I passed, when I was seventeen, i passed. I was in the Royal Engineers but then I passed pea company which I became a para engineer. So I had my maroon beret, had my parachute wings and I deployed to Northern Ireland. But it was a piss up. I'm not gonna lie here. I was. You know, we were winding down from the from the day, from the you know, from the sort of early eighties, late seventies and really just handing over so that but that was my first sort of peacekeeping tour, you know, where I sort of eased into the process. And the Macedonia was a little bit harier. You know, we were to prevent a civil war from happening, therefore collecting arms from from locals and from rebels, so you know there's a bit of hostility there, there's a bit of action there. And then the Afghanistan was just a completely different ballgame. You know. I went from joining I went from going into from them being a power engineer to then joining the Royal Marines, which is the elite of the conventional forces and again not special forces of the conventional forces. And I've done a tour of Afghanistan as Section commander there and yeah, it was kinetic. You know, you're seeing IDs go off, You're seeing your muckers getting blown up, and that was like, wow, you know you want to play soldier? This is this is it?
Speaker 2: What's your role in that as well? Like are you are you like on the ground, are you sniper?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 1: So at this stage, I was a section commander, so I was in control of seven other men. There's eight in a team. So I'm I'm patrolling around. I'm giving and given an area of operations that I have to patrol and that I have to have to take ground and then keep the ground. And it's my job with my team to maneuver us through this through this maze of compounds basically and obviously through the maze of compounds where the enemy know we're going that During that time, it was id central. You know, it was just like you just you know, sometimes you just hope and pray that you know that you weren't the one that's going to get blown up into the air. I mean.
Speaker 3: Winston Churchill he once said, you go way back to that time, and there's been a lot of lessons learned since then. He said, one of the two biggest rules of war is don't invade Afghanistan and don't invade Afghanistan. And that was before the Soviets before we went in there. What makes it so difficult A lot of the nature of the people.
Speaker 1: Now, do you know what's it's the terrain. The terrain is vast. You know. These guys are you know, so sophisticated when it comes to tunneling, when it comes to cave caving, and you know, building a fortress within the mountains which you can't see. So ultimately it's all well and good, you know, facing an enemy, but then trying to chase or hunt down an enemy that you're in their backyard. You know, you're going up to these caves, and they're well versed in the mountains.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We used to know that if we had an operation in the mountains, that we were we were up against it in the in the villages, in the in the towns, not so well trained, but in the mountains where they cached all their weapons, they cached all their I D. Stuff, they case, they cached absolutely everything. They were hardened fighters. You could tell, you know, you could tell the difference of train Soon as I knew that we were hitting the mountains and then we had to obviously, you know, scale up the mountain to attack. And then they disappear, and then you'd look down certain you know, certain caving holes and certain tunnels, and you could just tell it was I a d central. You know, you wouldn't booby trapped up to you. You wouldn't even dare go down there. So they were so good at that maneuvering and evading.
Speaker 3: Sorry, how did you feel, given the time you send over there, spent over there, given the fact that your lost comrades and friends, how did you feel of that scene when we were rushing to get out and people were rushing to get on the on the planes. How did that make you feel?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? On one hand, I felt proud because twenty years ago, you know, no one was rushing to get out of Afghanistan. So when you looked at it from a you know, bird's eye view, you think to yourself, oh my god, this is absolutely horrendous. You know, they're holding onto planes, they can't wait to get out. They weren't doing that twenty years ago. It's only because we came in and we started educating their women. We started putting schools in for their children, and we started building infrastructure. You know, we started giving them clean water, We started painting a normal life for them, So when that was stripped away from them, they weren't running from that. They were running because they were used to twenty years of used to a semi normal life. They were used to structure, they were used to a bit of discipline, they were used to having infrastructure around them, good schools, good education, and all of a sudden that's whipped away. Of course they're going to be running, running for the hills because because they know that all of that's going to get stripped away from them as well. So on one hand, I thought to myself, what are they doing? And I almost wanted to, you know, put my hands over my eyes and go a cringe, you know, by what are you doing? And then on the other hand, I was just like, look what you created. You know, they now know what normality is, and they now know what civilization is. You know, they're blessed with that. So ultimately, what they're doing is they're fighting for that, which for me, you know, I took a sense of pride out of that because I thought I was part of helping them, you know, realize what life is all about.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite movies, American Sniper, Right, I always think about this as how accurate it is as a depiction when he's up on this and he's trying to get an idea of whether the kids are civilian or he's carrying a bomb, and he has to make a decision to shoot to save his soldiers or whether they'll leave him. Because imagine there's a lot of accountability as a leader of a group you in that role, did you ever have those especially when you're in Afghanistan, Like, well, you don't know if they're a threat or you, or they're a civilian, and how do you make that choice?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, especially when I went from being so I've done three tours of Afghanistan. One is a section commander in the War Marines and then two. Then after I got back from my first tour of Afghanistan, I went on Special Forces selection pass and within two weeks of passing selection, I went straight back out to Afghanistan as a Special Forces operator, not a conventional force. Special Forces hunting down high value targets, nighttime operatations. Only mvgs go in get the job done, you know, harder rest missions where we would have to capture certain individuals to get information out of them to prevent a bigger devastation from happening. So my world sort of turned into this sort of let's James Bondie and beyond, you know, and then talk about, you know, the enemy using women, using children, you know these I'll give you an idea of just how how far they will go. You know, we we were after an ID facilitator high value target HVT. And the reason we knew he was in country because what they do they go over to the border and then they come back in organize their troops and they nit back over the border where they think they can't be touched. And I had a really big ID went off and it killed something like eight raw marines. And this ID was a kid with a willlborrow as a wheelborrow bomb. But a kid in a field, farmer in a field, kid in the field, not knowing what he's pushing, pushing it past the patrol. The patrol doesn't think anything of it. You know, it's got haste, hay over it, Boom, the whole thing goes up. Children collateral, Right, this child was just collateral. Eight dead. And that's just one example of making that decision right. They got that wrong that day. You know, they should just probably have. And it's easy to say they probably should have stoped the child anywhere near you will burrow, you know, but again, you know, these are young Marines. You know, they're they're eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old. You know, they're you know, they're kids themselves, so they're just like, yeah, come through, kid. It's the same with us. We used to hit targets and we used to go into rooms deal with the hvt's sort of security. If you wish becauld they, you know, there'd be that that'd be our first line that we needed to penetrate in order to get to the high value target. And the closer you got to the to the HVT, you'd come up against you know, they're just run past, grab a kid, to give a kid or women. They were very good at giving women weapons because what we do naturally, because we're elite, good soldiers and good men, we would go in and if it wasn't if it was a woman or children, we would naturally and I hate doing it. You'd naturally pause, you'd naturally go, what will this is? You know, because of the humanity, I suppose, because of what we've been brought up in society, you know, to look after our children, to look after our women. So there was always that and it was one of those you know, do I pause and potentially put my life at risk and my powers life at risk, or do I do I neutralize what's in front of me that is that is that could potentially take a life. So I was met against We were met up against that all the time, and they were very good at doing that.
Speaker 3: Like can imagine, like I think sometimes now and I've got a careful word this, but I just don't know these days how much incentive there is for young people to go into military, given the fact that in the society we live, when they come back, they're put in those situations like that, and if they make a mistake, they come back and we've seen situations where they're put on war crimes. We have no thought to what the scenario they've been put into.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I've always gone into Because when I joined the Special Forces, because I'd done so well on selection in the jungles point man, because I just loved that vol. I love to be sort of a leader in my own right, you know, And even though I wasn't the team leader, I was leading the team. So that. I always loved doing that, and I've always wanted to, you know, because I know my capability with on the battlefield. I'd always say, rather me than someone else, because you know, I've just you know, maybe wired a little bit differently. You know. I love being point man. I was really really keen and purposeful and driven to to to do what's right as well and being point man in the Special Forces, and that the missions that we do, we're in firefights every single night. You know, there's no doubt about it, you know, whether it's close border operations, whether it's you know, in the province itself. But I always I came up with a with an ideology that really really worked for me. Now, I believe that no one has the god given right to take life. I truly believe that. You know, however, if you think that you've got the right to take someone else's life, I will simply deny you that right by taking your life, therefore saving a life. So it was always I always So when people say to me and was it like taking a life, I'm like, well, I can tell you what it's like saving a life. And you know, as long as that saving a life was there, then I'd have no problem pressing the trigger. And I've been in situations before, and you know, we'll go over the situation time and time and time again where I've been there behind you know, we've breached a compound. I've seen you, I've got my MVGS on. I've seen someone in a doorway with a weapon and I've had my laser on their on their head, you know, and it's and I'm just like and every instinct in me, this is how I knew, how I know I was a good soldier even though I could pull the trigger. Yeah, and I had every right to because we we were you know, I was of engagement. Are a little bit different. And the compound that in question is is you know, is full of full of high value targets. I just I've never done it. I was never a bullievable weapon. So you know, it's like and I think to myself, well, that that was the high value target that we then went in and captured and that we put through the system, and now it's back out two months later being processes. Now we're going after the same guy. You know, I think to myself, should I pressed the trigger? And but then it's like, no, because in that moment, in that time that I wasn't denying him the right of not taking a life. So therefore, what life was I saving? None?
Speaker 2: You seem like the kind of blake that's got a good read on people. And we're going to talk about says in a minute, but before we move on to that, like, did you see people that you served with? You can tell you have a conscience by how you thinking about your actions over there, how you justify taking a life? Were there people there who had tendencies Like if they weren't in the military and they weren't channeling that energy into that, like they'd be killers in general society.
Speaker 1: Like, but let me tell you something. You know, when when you train and train and train and train, it's like you guys will know, like you train because you want to play in that cup final. You want to play in that playoff. You want to you want to win that trophy for us going into a kinetic kinetic you know, into the deep dark corners where where the fight is at its highest order. We want that, right, This is what we trained our whole lives to do, especially going through the through the ship of becoming a power and marine. I was a sniper. I was a primary fires operator, you know, I controlled bombs in the air, I controlled drones, I controlled aircraft's. I was a point man. You know. It's it's very hard when you and again just putting it bluntly, when you when you taste blood, to not be like a dog on a bloodlust. You know, it's when you when you punch that hole and you're like and you're in the moment, and it's you know, it's like at first you're like, you know, you're you are literally you need you need you or your your mucker to recognize that. And this is in the heat of the night to recognize that, to fucking pull you back into check, which we were doing also, you know, very first few missions, pulling each other back, going fucking look like calm you know, once that room was clear, right, fucking calm yourself down, room clear, Let's regather, let's regather our thoughts. Where we go in next right into the next door and tell straight away people could tell with me. And it's but that's where teamwork comes into play. It's not just a case of me having your back and you're having your back. Is me grabbing you because I know that this fucking firefighters has got the better of you. And and it's really the psychological side behind being a Special Forces operator goes way beyond the mission. You know, people say, you know what, be dedicated and committed to the cause. I'm like, we're Special Forces operators. You better believe we're dedicating and committed. That's not an added extra. We don't come into work and go, let's be dedicating. That's already ingrained. That's in my DNA, that's in my blood. It's about being dedicated and committed to each other, right because the mission, the mission is there. It's about you know, getting everyone through that mission, being dedicated and committed, just knowing, you know, knowing that something's not right and pulling you into check. That's what it's about.
Speaker 3: And I was watching last time. I was watching Blood Diamond first time. Soon love that film.
Speaker 5: I love that film and Liberia and I'm watching the film and you're dealing with child soldiers and like so many levels of tragedy.
Speaker 3: You you were a VIP security in Africa.
Speaker 1: So that was after so I was. I actually done a tour of duty in sarah Leone when I was in the rural Marines. So the private security stuff came after due to the contact that I made in sarah Leone. So I was out there in two thousand and five, two thousand and six doing a short term training team, so teaching them elite jungle warfare tactics basically. You know, it's sarahly onions a great people. They've got a wonderful country full of minerals, you know, very rich, but just very corrupt unfortunately. But their military are great. And when I left the military, I got a phone call from the Attorney General saying, you know, we are now part of NATO. Can you can you come and train our first ever snipers to deploy to Somalia. So I took that contract on straight away. So I trained their first ever snipers in Seraly and I trained three batches of them to send over to Somalia. So that's where that's sort of when I left the military, I went straight into sort of like a government military job anyway, So that was my role in serah Lyone. But what a great country, great people, and it is my favorite country in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was it like working with NATO compared to what you were used to? You know, given there's a lot of red tape as far as NATO's concerned.
Speaker 1: Do you know what being a private contractor is great, but you haven't got the top cover. You know, you haven't got the top cover of the military, especially the special forces. You know, the missions that we've done were so highly kinetic and dangerous but safe at the same time because you know, above me, I had two apaches. The gunship, I had a fixed wing, that's it. I had two drones I had you know, I could cool him fast air. Whenever I wanted, I could call in the apaches to take out and neutralize a direct target, you know, so they were constantly at our disposal. When I left the military, that top cover just went You're al yeah, you're almost out there by yourself. So even though I'm training these these these soldiers that the I am the top cover. You know, it's it's a whole different world and you don't feel unsettled by it, but you know, you're out there by yourself.
Speaker 3: Says Australia. Yeah, it's a fantastic show. First question someone that we're very close to, Sam Burgers. Sam Burgers, how could Sam burge How long would it take? Sam Burgess, do you think or to become a Special Forces.
Speaker 1: He'd have to shrink his head first, because he is a sniper's dream. And talk about American sniper. I could hit that head from two k from the hip. You know what when he when he got stuck in the tube, it was his shoulder that got stuck. It was his head. I remember just looking through in his bolder heat. Now, do you know what someone like Sammy is? Do you know what?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: Disciplined. That's what differentiates us, the British Special Forces from from the rest. Is not that we've got no different weapons, no different tech. It's just the the attention to detail through being consistently disciplined at a level where that grain of rice is out of place, that that that is outplay. You know, that is so finicky and you're you're you're sort of acted from such a young ages as the military in general. And then what I didn't realize when I joined the Marines is that I was being pushed down the special Forces route due to my potential, et cetera, et cetera. But the attention to detail that we have and the minor details and the psychological work that we do, which you know is the biggest, best kept secret of the United Kingdom Special Forces is way beyond what anyone else does.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: You see, like from sporting background, particularly Sam, you see sporting teams always draw on military for inspiration above for lessons, like we used to do army camps when I was at the Melbourne Storm. And the biggest lesson you take from is when and it's actually hard in today's society, pushing pushing players and pushing people past a breaking point, like you know, for safety reasons. But back in those days, particularly Sam would have experienced when you push someone so far beyond a breaking point, the less you take from yourself, like the lessons you learn about yourself. When Sam went on that show, you can see that's a bloke who's just done. He's had so much work, particularly psychologically, so mentally resilient. Like that bleeds through the TV, like the whole audience sort of could notice that.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 1: I got in his face as well. I was calling him a big headed more on and you fucking perfetic, you have failed this course. And I was spitting in this, you know, because I was just waiting for a crack. All I want, all I want from people, and I'm not waiting for a crack in a in a in a bullying type of way, or in a crack in your personality that needs developing, right, it's got nothing to do. I want to develop your weakness, so you know, I don't want to play to your strength. So I know where your strengths are. I'm happy with that. You know, I can almost go. Do you know what? That's seventy percent of you done. That's what I do. That's what I do with every single recruit. I go right where their strengths. You're happy with that, you don't need to work on that. Where's their weaknesses, where's their insecurities? You know, where where their cracks? And all I want to do is dig into them and find the tools that they need to develop that. And that's exactly what I was doing with Sam. And you know, the one time that Sam cracked is when he silly couldn't get through that tube.
Speaker 3: That was awful to watch. I feel claustrophobic watching it.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you this story about this and just quickly so we've got we start off. We we're there two three weeks before you know doing I'm doing everything. I'm jumping out the helicopters doing all the rehearsals, making sure because everything we put them through we go through. But then when the tubes came up, you know, going through there and and you know, this is about cluster, it's about you know, facing your fears and phobias, and that one was claustrophobia. Darkness had loads of loads of things in there. And when we first got there, there was two big two tubes, one big tube and one small tube. And I said to the to the producer, I said, why have you got two tubes here? They said, because some people are bigger than others, because I don't want to know who's on the course at this stage. And I'm like, well, no, that's that's you know, we've got got to be one tube. It's a small tube. And they're like, but you know, we've got some big people. And so so I know I'll get Foxy. I go, Foxy, come over here, and there's a bit of tube laying down and he sort of all he does is he he's I think he just puts his shoulders in there and then he comes out and I said, look, fox he's a big guy, do you know what I mean? I said that foxy can fit in there, anyone can feel So get rid of the big tube. We're going with the small tube. So and at this stage I'm putting people through. They're wizzing through, and then you know these and then all of a sudden, I'm thinking to myself, I'm thinking, God, Sam's a big guy, and I say, I say to him, right, and I put him last on purpose. So when he gets stuck in the tube, the moment he he says, stuff, I'm stuck.
Speaker 3: I can't get through.
Speaker 1: I lifted up the flat, which kept it dark in there, and I was like, what do you mean You're stuck? But I'm not. I'm not shipping around. I'm not joking about I am stuck. I went, I went shut the head. I just told him to calm down. So at this stage, my whole career is just flashing from Front Health and Safety, you know, and Middleton kills blah blah blah. I'm thinking, you know, in order to get this tube out, we're going to have to dig it out and crane it out and crane Sam's big fat head out of there. So Michaels, So I left up the flat nice and cool. When I say to him, I say number. I forgot the number. He wasn't number twelve. I think, so number number twelve. I said, I shouldn't be telling you this, but do you not think that we've put someone bigger than you through this fucking tube?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: And you see him, he's looking up, he's got these little puppy dog eyes at this day because he is literally dying. You need for your sake now, I needed to talk about psychological mind games, so I say to him, and you can see something just tweaked inside of him. And I've been stuck in it what's called smarty tube before, with all my kit on it down at Limbston through raw marine training, and all I'd done to get out, I literally couldn't move, but I just pushed my toes. All I've done with my toes was wo bend them back and just inch myself inch by inch. And then when I said that, you know, do you not think we put it? That gave him that sense of hope, that sense of belief right which change. I could see it in his eyes. I could literally And then when I told him the technique to push with his toes, he'd done that for about forty five minutes until I could reach in grab his hand and sort of put him out of the tube. And then obviously my career came flourishing back to me. O. Yes, but that was that was the moment that I thought to myself, Ah, you know, this is where you know claustaphobia, tight spaces, This is a fear and phobia.
Speaker 2: It's funny when the human mind, when the human mind knows see someone else to or knows someone else has done It's like the form minute mile that hadn't been cracked.
Speaker 3: Someone cracked someone training in air lock. Yeah, it can't be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think they stripped all the oxygen out of the day when I was doing it. But when somebody, you know, somebody breaks the formulut, my people think it's not possible. And then I think, within twelve months, like another three or four people did it. Just the belief of someone doing it.
Speaker 1: But he's purely psychological, you know, Mattie, when you look at it, it's purely psychological. And that's what I say, you know, when that's why we demonstrate everything I go wrong. I'm going to tell you this once once only watching to the demonstration. We're going to explain it once it's over to you and that we do it, and they go, right, it can be done, and then it's a case of right, he's done it his way, how do I do it my way? So then then there's that, and then there's like if I do it my way, do I trust myself?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Am I capable of doing this? All this self doubt comes in that you put on yourself. And this is the interesting psychological aspect of the show. And this is why I love love doing it because when you it's so much more when I first started out there, like the production cup, just do a boot camp, you know, just no, no, no, no goes so much, don't you know, don't belittle me, you know, don't don't don't you go so much deeper than this. And then when you Sackly see it, like you said, you thought you in that tube, you thought that's what the show's about.
Speaker 3: You're right now the other the other end of the uh spectrum on that show, that series, which I actually had done, be too hard because actually I think towards the end he really redeemed himself and you saw the dooms he was battling. Was Mark phillipursas. But the bit that I still laugh when they're all about all the contestants are about to go into into the water a swimming challenge. I forget exactly what it was, but everyone's got their their gear and they go, okay, is it one ready? And Phils go, can I just say something? What he goes, I've just got a sandwich in my bag, is aye gon plastic bag that I could rap it.
Speaker 1: I love it when things are because normally it's one of the other dsque They wouldn't dare say it if I was if I was running the stance. So normally it's one of the other ds running it, you know. And so and I'm in the background of my ears prick up and I'm just like step aside. And that's what I love about it as well, you know, And people say, you know, and are you like this in real life? You screaming?
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, this this is this is the the the disciplinarian military instructor, you know, I dealt this is why the all the instructors are so different. You know.
Speaker 1: Olie's got a softer approach. Foxes, you know, more of a sort of sit back, take it all in person, I'm in your face, you know, up your rs as such, because I dealt well with that in the military, when I had a military instructor that was on my ass telling me if I didn't get to the front of the group, they were going to kick my head in, that he was going to, you know, pummel me in after this, and you know, how dare you know? And he's in my my ears ringing. I reacted well to that. That's that's that's what made me actually go, I don't want this guy on my ass, you know, and I'd get to the front of the group. Where some people don't deal well with that. Some people you know more of a right. You know, you're better than this. You know you've old you've let yourself down, and you've let the team down, exactly, you let your family. So that's that's that's why I do it, because that's how I reacted well in the military. So all I'm doing is reciprocating what worked for me, and then then then that might be your time to step in and go right, that's not working for him. This is where Foxy steps in, This is where Olie steps in.
Speaker 3: Coop said before all the things that you've done and experienced. Yet you're a great judge of character when when you when you're seeing it straight away, when the contestants comes through one by one, can you go they're going to make it? They're not, do you know? Straight away? Get instinctively, you know, straight away.
Speaker 1: I know within the and that's why we thrash them. And they're probably giving it away a little bit here. But it's a technique that we use, which is called when we process them, you know, when we strip them down and we give them their numbers and we give them you know, there's a whole reason behind that. We're not just you know, basically stripping them from being a civilian and sort of into into a military individual. I'most assessing absolutely. That's why give my main brief and I step back from that, because I can just tell by their demeanor, by the way they're looking around, you know, by the by you know, by their gates, by the by the way they're holding themselves, if they're disciplined, I can tell if they're if they're here for the right reasons. I can tell if they're if they're committed to the to the cause, if they if they're just going to you know, surrender themselves to the process. I can tell that within the first five minutes, just by someone. You know. It's just like I can just tell and those people that are just there listening in, taking it all in, doing their own stuff at the beginning, because that's what you do. You want to do your own ship to make sure that you're squared away in that processing phase because nothing teamwork about it. It's like, right, he's telling me how to act, he's telling me how to dress, he's telling me how to I need to do things. Can I take that in from day dot and then from the very first command thereafter? I know who who who? The people that are there for the right reasons.
Speaker 3: Right society. And do you think do you think generation by generation we are getting.
Speaker 1: Softer, softer physically, yes, but we're getting way more savvy. You know, you look at Special Forces selection right now, the the you know, you just had to be a hard, hard guy, do you know, I mean resilient. You know, you put your house on your back, you know, travel over the mountains, you know, pick up a weapon, be safe with it, get into a firefights. Endurance, resilience and hardship. Once you got through that you know, yeah, you know, you're a hardened soldier. Well, now it's a lot more technical, it's a lot more tactical, it's a lot more tech savvy, shall we say so, I would say that the caliber of individuals now moving with the modern world actually suit it quite nicely. But when it comes to the resilience and and the hardship and the hard you know, it's that is lacking.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So there's got I like, I like the balance between the two. But then you look at the world, you think, you know where we headed, you know, are we going to ever ever need to suffer such hardships ever? Again? You know, you talk about modern day warfare, it's drones, buttons, it's technical, it's it's it's tech savvy, it's you know, boots on the ground. Yeah, boots on the ground, which is always always needed for that, you know, for that sort of clarified intel picture. But the way the world's going, yes, softer, definitely. But but I think we're I think the younger generation are moving in the right direction.
Speaker 3: And I feel sorry sometimes for young men, you know, because a lot of words get thrown around these days. One that is so overused by people the hero and work is toxic masculinitly right now, I get it. I know, I know a toxic masculinity is right, I know, but just but I've seen situations where a person has saved someone and they've gone out and said, oh, it was all about there. It's toxic masculinity, and I just think it does my fucking head in. Yeah, I just I cannot believe it. It's like, okay, you know all those people believe in toxic masculinity, but what about if someone breaks into your house he's got a gun and you require believe or not, like you know, I just say it, but a male to actually help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely, mate, listens, that's just a word I think. Well, I know it's just a fad. You know, lots of things have come into play, and you know, all of a sudden they're non sustainable. You know, it's like toxic what you know, being too masculine, being too you know, that's non non sustainable. That's a fad that that's come in and it will die out like like all the other fads have over the last few years. I don't take any notice of it. And at the end of the day, when you know, yourself. You know, I know that I'm a good man. Yes, I've got I've got faults of you know, I've got negative traits about me, but that that's a tiny percentage of who I am. You know, ninety percent of me is good, is compassionate, is loving, is empathetic, is you know, is accepting. You know, again, going back to being that bully with a weapon, I know that in those moments of pure humanity, life and death, that that that I'm a good man. You know, my instincts are good. So as long as long as I know that, then of course you're going to be charged. Of course, people are going to jump on the bandwagon, and it's very hard not to react to it. But ultimately you're reacting to someone else's ideology, someone else else's sort of thoughts and process and and I've learned and I've learned not to do that. And that's why people say, but myself, you know, I just stay true to who I am. When people know me for who I am, they know exactly what they're going to get, the exactly what they're going to be they're getting themselves in for. They know exactly that they're going to get a raw authentic version of myself. You know, I'm not really going to be around the version, but I'm happy to accommodate. But then, obviously, with the media and all of these fads coming in and out, you can they try and fit you into a certain category. And for someone like myself, it would be into that category. And I've taken a lot of flat through it. But I'm still here, mate. I mean, it's like, it's like, so the storm. As long as you the storm will come over you, but as long as you stay true to yourself and your direction in life, that storm will pass.
Speaker 2: It's you talking about how you're a discipline aian because that's what worked for you. That's your coaching style. Now, I had to coach Craig Bellamy at the Storm. He was very much the same that. Obviously, word for him had brought the best out of him. So he was like that. His favorite saying was making you, making you comfortable with the uncomfortable. Put you in situations on the sporting field that would be as uncomfortable as it gets, and you train that so when you're out there in those situations you feel comfortable in it. I was watching The Accountant the other day great movie The Accountant, But I got thinking to.
Speaker 1: Come out of the air locker? Did you come out of the airlocker straight into the account straight into the account He actually thought it was a documentary.
Speaker 2: It was, but I was watching it and leading into this interview, I got things I wanted to ask you, because you are a discipline there, and you're a hard coach. You push people hard. In that movie, Ben Affleck, who has he plays a character as Aspergess and he's his dad had a military background and his theory was, rather than bring him up in an environment where he's nurtured, he would push his son and put him in the most uncomfortable situations to train his mind to be comfortable when he was an adult in those situations. And I mean, obviously it worked out. He was killing people by the end, which we don't condone, not in general society, of course, but it just it just made me, you know, I think, particularly in the modern society where there is a lot of not wanting to put people in uncomfortable city situations to nurture them, do you think that's a bit of a hindrance Like in some cases some cases it isn't, But do you think putting people in those situations.
Speaker 3: Well, I did that for you, Cooper. Do remember I never used to let the butler cook.
Speaker 1: For you, and it's to pick it up off the floor.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and now look at me now.
Speaker 1: But do you know what, Cooper, Know, You're exactly right. Society doesn't cater for for the uncomfortable. You know, everything is done for you. You're you're you're taught where to go, you're controlled where to go, you're you know, you're you're told how to act, You're you're told how to think, especially more and more in modern day society. But I always say to my children there's no growth in comfort. And what I mean by that is I will give my children enough rope to trip up on, but not obviously enough rope to hang themselves hypothetically, because that's irresponsible parenting. But I know, I know my son's headed heading into it, and I'm just like, oh, son, you know, and I could go whoa there, but I'm just like, you know, and moments where you just go no, no, no, you know, to to my wife, just let them figure it out. The bomb is, you know, he's he's hit face first, and I'm just like dragging him up and going, son, are you're good? Right? Listen? You know? And then but nine times out of ten, when you debrief your son once or your your children or work colleague or whatever it may be, when they've when they've taken a hard full, they've already debriefed themselves. You know, they've already figured it ninety percent of it. They figured it out themselves. And all you do is you you use that small five percent where you just point in the right direction and guide and protect from the rear right, and it's just like, oh no, he's going to hang himself in the right son, whoa hold on? My daughter? Whoa dunn? You know, look at this in a different way, tackle this a different way. I can see what's coming through my life experience. And they're the hard conversations that we have through life, right, good a little step.
Speaker 3: In their own portholes sometimes finally, Mayor of London.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Mayor of London, what do you what do you think? Do you know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Mate? With the Mayor of London's When I look at my purpose in life and what I've done and where I've been, you know, I'm a server of people. It's as simple as that. You know. It's when I was in the military, I'd serve my muckers, I'd serve my country. I'd serve you know, at the time, the Queen and the country men and women of my country. And when I look at everything I've done in the media, I'm just serving people. And what I mean by serving people, I'm there to help you become the best version of who you can be. I'm there to help you identify, you know where your fears and phobias are, and how to overcome them, and how to be emotionally intelligent enough and psychologically resilient enough to get through life. And so when the Mayor of London, when the Mayor of London sort of came up and my name got bantered around, I thought to myself, do you know what you know? I've served in the military. I'm now, you know, in this media space where ultimately I'm still serving the people, which I truly believe that I am when you when you go deep into it and a career, not so much in politics, because even though the Mayor of London is a small political role, it's not which I really like. And hence why I've been really keen to sort of push on with it. I just think, you know, with the state of London at the moment and the crime and the personal safety that's there and you only have to you know, walk the streets and see it that I feel the need to serve again. And that's what it is. Is not I live a good life, trust me, Cooper May I live a good life. I'm happy and my kids are happy. You know, they're thriving in life, bouncing around the world doing my thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The last thing I believe it or not I want to go back to England is you know it is the rain is that is the misery of the UK.
Speaker 2: And if you saw in Afghanistan, I was sad. You get the politics.
Speaker 1: That's exactly. So listen. It's not confirmed, but it's not denied. It's it's something that I'm really considering with the family. But when I left the military, I promised my wife, which I didn't do. I promised my wife that I put the family first. But when I was in the military I didn't and that was for obvious reasons. But now it feels like I'm going back on that promise. If I jump into into this, well, if.
Speaker 3: You do get in just the reason I ask if you do get in, I've got a few text problems.
Speaker 1: Haven't we all made? Haven't we all?
Speaker 3: You're a champion mate. We don't take any more of your time. We really thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Brother, thank you my man. Guys, thank you m