Speaker 1: She told me she has been told to be weary of the owner at Kendon I know, and she moved into Bargo.
Speaker 2: She was scared.
Speaker 3: He was sort of there in the background listening to.
Speaker 2: What was going on.
Speaker 4: Kevin looks at me and says he's lying. He would tell me how the lion get away of life, for example. You know, keep the details short and simple, never over exaggerate.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the sixth update episode of Dear Rochelle. You're behind the scenes access to this live podcast investigation series. I'm your host, Ashley Hanson. Since the series began, so many of you have reached out with information about the case. It's a reminder that even the smallest memory could be the missing piece. We're still encouraging anyone who might know anything to get in touch, whether you want to speak anonymously or on the record. In this bonus episode, I'm joined by retired New South Wales detects you Damian Loon, Rochelle's sister, Christy, her mum Anne, and Mindy, Christie's best friend. Together, we'll go through some of the tips we've received and the people.
Speaker 6: Who we've since spoken to. We'll start with Wendy.
Speaker 5: She was Rochelle's nail technician and got in touch a few weeks ago. She told us that Rochelle called her on the Thursday afternoon she went missing.
Speaker 1: I owned a nail someone in Rosemeadow and Rachel was a client who used to come in and that's where I met her. Very funny lady. She never wasn't a regular. She used to come, you know, she'd come, try to come to get an in fields and that done, and then you wouldn't see her for.
Speaker 2: A couple of months and she'd just rock up. Can I get a full set?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: She never kept up with the maintenance. She wasn't one to do that, you know. It was just, oh, I just need a full set. She used to bite the nails down to nothing, always trying to stick on her nail, you know, when there's hardly in the nail bed there. That Thursday she rang me wanting her to getting her nails done. Wanted a full set again. I couldn't fit her in. She wanted the afternoon because she was on her way to Belmore to get the car radio fixed. I'm not sure if it was her car radio or was it a car for work. I can't remember, but she was on a way to Bellmore because she was driving and on the phone that she wanted to come in after that about four point thirty five to come in get her nails done, and I couldn't fit her in because they're regulars.
Speaker 2: I told her could do her.
Speaker 1: In the morning, nine o'clock, so she said, yeah, she'd have that appointment.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that was the last I spoke to her.
Speaker 5: And what makes you so convinced that she was driving at the time?
Speaker 1: I could hear it. I still remember that phone call. Yeah she was driving, Yeah, she was driving, definitely driving on her mobile while she she was going to Belmore to get this car radio fixed. There's be half us too, because I know I was getting ready to go and pick up kids from school.
Speaker 5: And did she tell you anything about her plans for the June long weekend?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I wish to God that i'd, let you know, squeezed her in and had a good old chat with her and found out.
Speaker 2: I really wish I did.
Speaker 5: How often did Rachelle come and get her nails done from you? And what did she tell you about her life?
Speaker 1: She used to come, like I said, periodically, she'd come off. You know, sometimes I wouldn't see her two three months, but then I'd see her where every month or every day. She did keep up in the in fields for a little while, and you know, we'd sit there and have a chat. And you know, I used to let us choose to smoke and the selling She's going to kitchen's part and have a cigarette in there, and you know, she'd we'd have some white a little bit of wine, you know, if we had some wine in the fridge or you know, have and drink.
Speaker 2: It was better when we're at home.
Speaker 1: We always had a few drinks there while she was getting the nails done, you know, a couple of drinks, usually a cruiser or something like that would split between us. And she told me a lot.
Speaker 2: She told me she was.
Speaker 1: Being told to be weary of the owner at Camden by other employees. I'm assuming, but she's looked at him as our father figure, she said. She said that she'd received a large bouquet of flowers for a big sale.
Speaker 2: I think it was that.
Speaker 1: She had made I know when she moved into Bargo, she was scared when she lived to move to Bargo, and that's one of the reasons she wanted Christy to move in with her because she was frightened of the neighbor. He was always leaving flowers for as she said, every time she'd leave, he'd be there. Every time she'd come home, he'd be there. So she was on edge with him. She said she was a sleezy bat and you know, a sleazy guy. Apparently I think he was married. But she said he'd just come across very sleazy, and she was scared of him.
Speaker 2: She was scared of him.
Speaker 6: How long before her death did she tell you this?
Speaker 1: Probably two months before. It wasn't long after she moved into Bago, two three months. It wasn't long after she'd moved into Bago.
Speaker 5: And did Rochelle have any fears that stem from her workplace?
Speaker 1: No, she never known. She never she was told to she was told to be careful. He was a sleazy I don't know who told who told said that to her, But that's what she said to me, she said, But she said, just like that, a father figure to me. You know, she always referred to him as a father figure to her. She never you know, she never never said that he was scared of She never mentioned anything about being scared of him or anything like that.
Speaker 6: But she was scared of her neighbor.
Speaker 5: Of her neighbor, she was, and she did she describe why she was scared of him, what he didn't.
Speaker 1: She just got an eerie feeling around him, that she would come home and he would pop out of nowhere. When she was leaving, he'd be like near her car, or he'd just always be there. She said, you know, anytime I left, he would be out the front, or if she arrived home, he'd end up being there.
Speaker 2: Before she could get the key in the door, and you know, he'd leave her flowers. Just gives him the creeps.
Speaker 5: Christie, and do you have any thoughts about Wendy's memories of leading up to Rochelle's death.
Speaker 7: He definitely was a sleeze, was tolerable. I didn't know he was hanging around like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I agree with that he did just pop up out of nowhere. I remember washing up at the kitchen sink and looking up and he was.
Speaker 6: Out the back.
Speaker 5: Why are you here?
Speaker 8: And that's why he's always been one that I've been a bit suspicious of.
Speaker 5: Bruce the neighbor has now been charged and has always vehemently denied any involvement in Rochelle's murder. He willingly took part in police interviews, provided his DNA, and gave evidence at the inquest into Rochelle's death.
Speaker 8: Her comments about Rochelle's feeling about Kevin, that's one hundred percent right, that's how that's sort of how she spoke about him, and that's sort of how she interacted with him.
Speaker 6: So that's that's accurate.
Speaker 8: The thing that I find interesting is the comment about Bellemore, and I've asked Shane about that. I've asked Shane what's at Bellemore? Where would she been going. There's an auctions at Bellemore, and apparently Rochelle and Kevin would go to the auctions at Bellemore. So I was wondering whether that there might be something in that because I don't know if she was driving. She's the only one that's mentioned Rachelle driving to Bellmore soon.
Speaker 9: That's in the afternoon of that too.
Speaker 5: This is at two thirty, so she's obviously come back because Kathy Thelander says she has the kids, so she'd picked them up from school at three point thirty and then with her sister they went in either around three thirty four o'clock and they were there, and Rochelle was there, and they were there all afternoon.
Speaker 8: Because if she's got if there was something wrong with the stereo and that I don't know about, and she's dropped it off to someone at Belmore, that may be the reason why it wasn't in the car when she called me, I could only hear engine noise. I couldn't hear I mean like she could have just turned the sound off obviously, because she was on the phone, driving and smoking. I couldn't hear any radio noise when I spoke to her on the phone.
Speaker 9: I'm just saying, surely someone would have come forward to say that she'd dropped her stereo off for bad repair.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the cover was in her bag, so she obviously if she took that out, she would have put the cover on it. Like you'd need the cover on it if it was getting fixed or whatever, you'd have to have the.
Speaker 9: Work, and it was it was a commonplace for her to take the face played off. It may have been an item from the car that needed to be fixed. She just ran up to Billmore to drop it off and came and on the way back she rang Wendy to try and get her in through a nail job she couldn't get in, but we certainly do know that on that timeline that she was back at Camden Holden later that afternoon. It was Kathy Thielander sees her and in the car ya, So we're still sticking by the scenario that she left that car late that afternoon and was shortainly spotted thereafter by a council ranger when she flicked a cigarette but out the window. So those timings are very important, particularly because the timestamps her movement.
Speaker 5: Okay, next we have Kathy thee Lander's sister Charlene, who was at the car yard on the Thursday afternoon and one of Rachelle's last cuss.
Speaker 3: I realized that I saw her on the day that she died, but I didn't realize till a long time after that actually that I was one of the last people to actually see her.
Speaker 6: Do you have any memories of that day seeing Rochelle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a really clear memory, actually, because because you know, she was murdered that night, it sort of stuck in my head all these years that you know, I was there on the day that she was murdered, and so I was there at Camden Holden with my sister and my young nieces and my sister was collecting a car and Rochelle was the person we were dealing with there.
Speaker 6: Take me through that afternoon.
Speaker 5: Do you remember what time you arrived at Camden Holden and what Rochelle was up to that day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it.
Speaker 3: Would have been late in the afternoon, and I have a clear recollection of her because she really stuck in my mind as because I knew she was only young, but she was so confident and so professional, and it really stuck in my mind that that's how she was because I was in my thirties and she was only in her early twenties, and I remember thinking, wow, you know, she really seemed to have it all together. She was very professional in her dealings. I actually even remember the outfit she had on that she had on a pants suit and a shirt.
Speaker 2: And so she.
Speaker 3: Was dealing with mostly my sister, you know, I was introduced to her and she was just talking about the car and the finance and all that they were doing. And so we were in the yard and then in the railway carriage that was there that was the office for the news car sales.
Speaker 5: Were there any other workers there helping assisting your sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there was a.
Speaker 3: Guy that was there, an older man with quite dark hair, and I remember he had on a long coat, and I hadn't seen him before because I had actually been to Camden Holden many times because my brother in law worked there, so I'd actually even been out with some Camden Holding people on functions and things like that. But I didn't recognize this man, and he was in the background the whole time. So we were dealing with Rochelle, but he was sort of there in the background listening to what was going on. You always sort of seemed to be in the frame wherever we were in our dealings with Rachelle. And I remember saying to my sister, who's that because it just seemed odd that he was sort of there, and she's told me, Hi, it was that it was Kevin.
Speaker 2: And I remember.
Speaker 3: Very clearly saying to my sister, you know, oh, he seems like a bit of a slave's bag, and that's sort of terminology I want to use.
Speaker 5: Back then, can you tell me about Rochelle's demeanor that day and what you remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I remember that she seemed happy, she was very pleasant, very professional in her dealings about the car, sort of a bubbly, sort of bright personality, you know. I remember thinking that about her, what sort of You know that there's some people who were just sort of, you know, your interactions with the more joyful, and that's how it felt. She did leave earlier, though, like we were there with her, and she said that she did have to leave, and I remember she got in her car and sort of waved to it so as she drove away. So we were there for longer than what you know she was she left before we left.
Speaker 6: Do you know what time that was?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I don't know, so it was late afternoon when we got there, so we were probably there for at least an hour, so I would have said four thirty five, you know, if I had to pinpoint a time, it was just I know, we didn't get there till late afternoon though.
Speaker 6: Did you ever do a formal statement with police?
Speaker 3: No, And that's why I wasn't aware that, you know, we were some of the last people to see her because the police never contacted me. They never asked me to do an interview. And I remember saying to my sister, who I was there with it on that day. How strange that they've never contacted me. I always thought it was quite odd, and yeah, I just and it wasn't really until I've been listening to the podcast that I realized that we were actually the last people to see her. And then I thought, again, how strange that they didn't come and ask details. I mean, you know, I've got quite a good memory, and I can remember all these details all these years later, but obviously if they'd interviewed me sooner, I would have remembered more.
Speaker 10: What's your reaction to that, Christy Nanne, Well, she backs up everything Kathy says, which is nice to have someone confirming that that's.
Speaker 6: Fact.
Speaker 8: I would assume.
Speaker 6: I think it's.
Speaker 8: Important that she says that, you know, if someone had spoken to her earlier, she might have remembered more details. That's frustrating, but yeah, I love that she's, you know, same with Kathy said that she was so lovely and bubbly, and I think, you know, having Kevin follow them around, that's weird. And I know that Kathy said that there were issues with the finance and that the paperwork went missing, and I don't know whether perhaps there was something dodgy going on and that's why he was so closely following them around and listening, because yeah, that could be a reason why I'd been to Camden Holden many times and Kevin was always there, but I wouldn't say that he would follow her around. So it's interesting that he was following them around that afternoon. I find that strange and I would like to know why.
Speaker 6: Damien, what are your thoughts on Charlene's interview.
Speaker 9: Well in relation to her not being spoken to by police is interesting because one of the first things you would do and you go to the workplace of the victim and under research warrant, you would make the diaries and the day books, any receipt any receipt book, any applications that have been made for finance on that particular day, and then you would track those people down and then you'd obtain a statement them to see if it was Rachelle was one of those persons that was serving them as a salesperson from the hole in the yard. And I'm just a little bit perplexed as to why that hasn't been done, something I certainly would have done in the day, and not looking back in hindsight either, I think it's very important.
Speaker 5: Kevin Stephen Correll strenuously denies any involvement in Rochelle's murder and has never been charged. He has willingly participated in three records of interview with police and provided his DNA to investigators. The coroner overseeing Rochelle's inquest made an open finding. The other tip that we have through is a security guard who wants his identity protected. But he told us an interesting story about a time and a conversation when he worked with Kevin Correll on the Central Coast.
Speaker 6: Let's see what he has to say.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I've worked with Covin eximately five times from memory as a security guard.
Speaker 5: What was he like to work with?
Speaker 4: Pretty easy? Actually, he only really spoke when he felt the need to. I did notice he was very observant and always you know, kick the people he wanted to talk to or if he had to ask them to leave and whatnot. There was no major red flags at the start.
Speaker 5: Well, how would you describe him in his role? Was he a good RSA marshal?
Speaker 4: From what I saw, he was pretty good. He was always observant and he would always like pull the security up first. If he was ever worried about someone who was intoxicated, and he would always ask if it's okay to kick him out or come for a second opinion at least, And yeah, he was usually good in that regard. I didn't really notice him treating any patrons illy.
Speaker 6: Did he take his job seriously from what I.
Speaker 4: Could see most of the time, yes, and there were sometimes where he did get a little bit lazy and just chat to people to help time go by, but he was usually as good at responding the calls when needed.
Speaker 5: And did you ever have any conversations with him about his life or any insights about him?
Speaker 4: I did ask him once if he was thinking about becoming a licensed security guard because he was an RSA Marshall, and he told me that he's already a licensed security guard and the reason why he doesn't do security at the current time is because of his age and less responsibilities.
Speaker 5: And did you do any research into whether he was a licensed security guard.
Speaker 4: As of recently? I have, yes, and I did the online check you can do on the service New South Wales UP. I used both alias as he went by, and I found nothing.
Speaker 5: On him any conversations that stand out to you that you want to share.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, last time I worked with Kevin, which probably would have been December twenty twenty four, there was a time when a patron came in who was a little bit mentally challenged and told, you know, tell stories, but you know, most of us just pretend to believe him and just let him go. And he doesn't really talk much. After the patron had signed in and walked away and did whatever he was going to do in the club, Kevin looks at me and says, he's lying. And I said, and I asked him, as based on how far that's his story sounded, and Kevin said no. Kevin said, when people lie, they subconsciously looked to the left. And I paused for a second, and I said, do you have a degree in psychology or are you former law enforcement or anything like that? And then he said to me, he said, he said, he used to work in psychology many years ago, and he studied, he studied behavior and lying and all that stuff. And he pretty much told me and gave me some weird advice. You know, if I ever want to save myself from getting in trouble, he would tell me how to lie and get away with wake. For example, you know, keep the details short and simple, never overexaggerate. And he went on further to explain, like, you know, how he's saved himself from traffic tickets to sparing people's feelings and all that stuff. I can't quite remember what he said, but he went on a little bit, and I thought that that was really strange. I'm like, that's being skilled at lying is very strange. But okay.
Speaker 5: And did Kevin tell you anything about his personal life, about his relationships.
Speaker 4: Only that he was seeing a girl over in Thaireland and he was, and he mentioned that he would go there every three months or so. And he showed me a picture of this woman in Thailand and she looked she looked really young. I was, I was quite concerned about the age difference, but changed out she was an adult. But yeah, I did find out a bit odd.
Speaker 5: Did he say anything more about this woman that he met in Thailand?
Speaker 4: No, other than he just works as much as he can to afford to go over there every three months or so. And I do remember him mentioning that he he thought it was going really well and would often say that he's He did imagine at one point that he was contemplating moving over there permanently.
Speaker 5: Christie Ann, what's your reaction to the security guard's comments about Kevin.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know what to think really, to actually tell people that you are skilled at lying and that you've gotten away with so much in the past because you keep the detail short and then and then he goes on to lie and so that he has a background in psychology and he's worked in psychology, and he's studied and he had done this, which you know he clearly has not done.
Speaker 6: And he also said that he.
Speaker 8: Was a registered security guard or he was but it was lapsed.
Speaker 6: So he just.
Speaker 8: Proves that he is a he is a very skilled liar and yeah, and he obviously prides himself on that, which is kind of disgusting.
Speaker 9: What struck me the most important piece of conversation that came out from their former workmate was the fact that Kevin said, you know, you keep your lies simple and you don't exaggerate. Now, throughout my career as an investigator, I've come across it on numerous occasions where the offender says a very short sentence which they can easily remember if they start to exaggerate, they don't really recall that detail of the exaggeration years later. But if you keep a short sentence, like one sentence like Lynn Dawson allegedly he told someone that I received a letter from her and he kept that up all those for many many years. And that's a short, simple sentence you can't not forget and a skillful lie. Skill for someone who in the art of deceiving, does that they keep their sentences very short and to the fact where it's believable, and you don't over exaggerate, because that's where you come unstuck years later.
Speaker 5: You're right, though, Christy, it is concerning that someone prides themselves online.
Speaker 8: He lied to Rochelle. He said that he was a detective in a park life. He's lied to his own children, I was a psychologist. If he has had nothing to do with Rochelle's death, because he does create these web of lies, he makes himself look so guilty and also making up lies about Rochelle, like saying that she was involved with the rebels and bikey gangs. You know, he's building this lie around Rochelle and actually trying to tarnish her character by telling people that she's involved with You know what could what is described by police as being a criminal gang. How disgusting after someone's died, someone who's apparently so special to you, who you know you went and sobbed to people at a car yard about her death, that you're so upset about it, But yet you're quite willing to tell everyone that she was involved with a criminal gang and into you know, doing things that were potentially criminal. And for what reason, I don't know.
Speaker 7: He's just trying to deflect as much as he possibly could, just to get it away from him.
Speaker 6: But he didn't follow through.
Speaker 7: He didn't care, He never spoke to us in nothing, in no way was he even wanting to help.
Speaker 8: That's right, And absolutely no regard for Rochelle's memory or legacy or you know, her character, Absolutely no regard for any of that or for her family.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, throughout all the investigations, there's always they always throw in a red heiring for you to go off track, to throw and they do it on purpose to throw you off track so you could start looking somewhere else. But it's a red herring. But it you have to investigate them, then you have to eliminate that allegation or the bike is we're involved, et cetera. So that's the red herring, and I have plenty of those in my service, but you've got to and they do take time to track down and eliminate the alibi or confirm or deny the alibi. So you know this is not unusual. A good croop will keep their lives to one sentence. A bad crop will give you a page and a half of allegations or what they've done afterwards or prior. They're the ones that we catch very easily. The ones that keep it short are difficult.
Speaker 5: So these are people that are coming forward and speaking up to the podcast, which is a good thing. We learn more information when these people come forward, and just those little pieces of information will help to see the bigger picture.
Speaker 9: I was interviewed last Saturday morning by Luke Grant on two GB and I raised that issue, or said, it's a wonderful thing that the community now are asking questions and they can ask a question to the podcast by visiting the website. And I said, it's wonderful that you know people are out there, they're smart, they're asking some very good questions and where they're being answered to it by us on a weekly basis. Well when we need to do it, and we just have to promote that, keep promoting, because you know, we're going to get a bill breakthrough here. I can see it coming.
Speaker 8: I think it's great that, you know, and thinking about the amount of people that would have gone through that kaya that day, I think there's probably other customers who we haven't heard from as well, which I would really like to hear from, and other people that she might have messaged or spoken to that day. It's so heartening that we've had so many people come forward and want to help, and I think that that's I think that's beautiful. And I have a feeling that these cold cases, you know, going forward from here, all these other cold cases, I think that this medium is something that needs to be used because you're not gonna, yeah, you're not going to solve it by looking back over the same information that we've always had and everyone's read. You're not going to solve it by reading the exact same things. We need more people to come forward and give us these little nuggets of information. And I'm just so incredibly grateful to all these beautiful people who, yeah, particularly you know, those really strong women who have had you know who are potentially putting themselves in danger or damaging relationships by coming forward to help us.
Speaker 6: For Rochelle, it's just yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 5: New episodes of Deer Rochelle drop on Fridays. Visit Dear Rochelle dot com dolay you for more and if you have any information and you want to share with me Ashley Hanson, you can do so confidentially. Please send an email to Dear Rochelle atnews dot com dot au