Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, March four, twenty twenty five. The Southwales's prisons are giving guards special training to deal with female prisoners who pose a threat to national security, a move that spells isis brides to anyone who's been paying attention to the family stuck in Syrian camps who are trying to get home. The Australians revealing today the sudden training burst suggests the women and children's arrival is imminent, despite the Albanese government's insistence it's not lifting a finger to help them home. That's live right now at the Australian dot Com dot a U. A stretch of water just thirty three kilometers wide. It's the new flashpoint Australians need to know about. The Strait of Hormuz lies between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula, connecting the Persian Gulf and its oil and gas to the Indian Ocean and the rest of the world. The Iranian Revolutionary Guards say they'll sink any ship that tries to get through. On the other side of Saudi Arabia is the Red Sea, but Iran's local militia, the Hoofies, say Vale attack ships that try to get to the Mediterranean or the rest of the world through there too. So are all these threats real and what do they mean for our economy grocery prices, jobs, power bills and deliveries. Chief International correspondent Cameron Stewart is here in just a minute. Cameron Stewart is the Australian's chief international correspondent. Everyone in Australia who's waiting for a car or a sofa, or even to fill up their car at the petrol pump has got a sudden new interest in Middle East geography. The Strait of horn Wu's is a critical and only thirty three kilometers wide body of water that Iran is saying it's now closed. It says it's going to sink any oil tanker that tries to get through the Strait of Hormores. First of all, do you think Uran is actually capable of living out that threat?
Speaker 2: I think they're certainly capable of doing it In the short term moment. It's literally off their coast and so they would have short range missiles that could definitely do that for sure. Claire in the short term, I think probably the bigger question is what non Iranian ships would risk sending their ships through there. At this point. Iran reportedly set a tanker on fire just twenty four hours ago with one of its missiles. So I think we've seen actually in the past few weeks, as the tensions are built between the US and Iran, before they actually attacked Iran, the number of those ships going through the strait dwindled. So it's, if you like, it's self preservation at the moment. So even if Iran couldn't sink every ship that went through, it doesn't mean they'll go through because they won't take their risk.
Speaker 1: Already, oil and gas prices are going through the roof. It's going to obviously at the cost of living pressure throughout the rest of the world. Australians are already worried about their travel plans. The entire Middle East aviation system has shut down and that's meant the cancelation of thousands of flights. Attention, Please, we've been advised by the company to return back to Doha, so we're just strended stream. They said that the gates could be closed with one of the two or three hours they have no idea. Maybe for Australians here cam who are worried about all of these and the impact that it's going to have on their day to day lives. Do you think this will be sorted out in the next few weeks or the next few months, or is this going to be a new reality for years to come, not for.
Speaker 2: Years to come, and certainly be the reality in the short term. I mean, we're going to see impacts on oil prices, who've already seen them, on gas prices. We'll see impacts on world stock markets, with confidence rising or falling depending on how the conflict plays out. And of course in the very short term. Clear it's a disaster for Australians who are traveling because the Middle East hub there with the airlines like Guitar and Emirates and Eddie hadd and Quantus as well. I mean, the Middle East really is the way Australians get to and from Europe these days, it's the main hub. So it's a disaster for people who are traveling, it really is, who are stuck there, stuck in Europe, stuck in Australia, have travel plans they've got to recalculate and the interesting thing is that while those airlines are desperate to get back off the ground and back into the air, very difficult to do that in any numbers when they're still uncertainty about whether Iran will actually continue their attacks on these Golf states, which of course they did when the conflict began on Saturday.
Speaker 1: On the western side of the Persian Gulf, just above the Strait of holl Wars are seven monarchys that until now have been assumed to be relatively neutral in the Middle East conflict. That's Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, and on the other side of the peninsula, of course, is Jordan. They are all now under attack from Iran. Has Iran made it a terrible mistake by drawing those countries in look.
Speaker 2: I think Iran has made a miscalculation here what Iran wanted to do. In fact, there's actually stated this. It claims it was going to attack only US facilities in these golf stats because of because these Gulf states do house US troops sometimes they house warplanes, et cetera, et cetera, and Iran said they would target that. Next thing we saw astonishing vision seen all over the world of course, of luxury hotels in Dubai being hit, high rise towers in Bahrain being hit, commercial ports as well being hit. I mean infrastructure that really didn't have anything to do with the US. And this I think has been a real own goal by Iran because what it's done instantly is its aligned these goal states against Iran. Whereas they weren't really necessarily like that Clayer. They actually were the ones that were advising Donald Trump, or pleading with Donald Trump, do not attack Iran. In fact, they went so far as to say the US could not use their facilities to help attack Iran. So they were doing everything they could diplomatically at least to prevent the actual attack, and so they were pretty upset when they had missiles going into their hotels and high rise buildings from Iran. In fact, they put a statement out just twenty four hours after the attacks happened. Six of the Golf states got together in a council and they put out a statement saying, we deplore, we criticized this attack on us. You know, we were the ones who did not want this attack to start off in the first place, Meaning the US is rarely strikes and we didn't let us use our facilities, and now you still attacked us. So I think for Iran's perspective, this is an own goal. This is something that will actually align the region against Iran and make it more diplomatically isolated than it already is.
Speaker 1: We talked about travelers, but there are hundreds of thousands of foreigners living as expats in those states along the Persian Gulf. They're now obviously dealing with the terror of having missiles fly overhead of landing in their neighborhoods, and they're wanting to get home. They're complaining, some of them that the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has been slow to get in touch with them, and that they don't know how they're going to get out. What do you think, cam about what's fair for Australians who are in those countries to expect. Should they expect that DEFAT is going to get them all out or is this part of the bargain when you go to live as an expat in a tax free state like this.
Speaker 2: Look. I think DEFAT is overwhelmed from what we've heard so far. Claire, if you count the expats who live there and also obviously people who are stranded, the travelers who are transitting through Dubai Airport. They said, there's absolutely no practical way that we could get astray military plans, for example, to bring people out of there, and so they're sayingmercial flights are really the only option at the moment. And look here, I understand a lot of Australians, I think, are very frustrated by this. The Americans are actually having the same issue because only a few hours ago the State Department urged Americans in thirteen countries in the region to leave those countries immediately. So they clearly believe that the potential is here for Iran to continue to attack these Golf states. I'm not so certain about that. I think that Iran may soon curtail those attacks, realizing that it is going to be a bit of a diplomatic own goal, But at this point in time, very hard to know how it will pan out, because the Uranian Foreign Minister interestingly yesterday made the claim that in fact there were rogue elements of the Uranian military that were firing on these Golf states. In other words, the commander control in Iran because of what's happened is not cohesive enough to guarantee that they won't randomly fire shots at these Gold states. Now, who knows in war whether that's a true statement or whether it's spin. We don't know, but it's a hugely confused.
Speaker 1: There is an alternative route for the Persian Gulf states to get their oil and their goods to the rest of the world, and that's the Red Sea. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates both have pipelines that wouldn't enable them to embark their oil at the Red Sea and then send it around the world. The problem in the Red Sea is that there's an Iran backed militia, the Hoofees in Yemen, who are saying they're going to fire on shipping. We've seen in the past that the Hoofes were able to completely disrupt world trade cam back when this war with Israel started raging in the first place. What do you think is going to happen now.
Speaker 2: Well, the Houfees are interesting because as one of the Iran backed terror proxies in the region, they said they would fight alongside Iran if Iran was attacked. Iran has been attacked, they have not yet announced that they are going to fire missiles and actually join the fight. But they have announced rhetorical solidarity with Iran. They've said it's a disgraceful what's happened, and they're fully in support of them. But a shot as yet. I think the next forty eight hours would be really instructive as to whether the Houthis are going to join this bat or not. Remember that Hesbala in Lebanon waited forty eight hours before they fired their first shots in support of Iran. And you've heard that some pro Iranian militia in Iraq have fired shots at the US basis. So Iran's proxies are slowly gearing into action, and the hoof Is we don't know whether they're going to join, but it would be really interesting because if they do join, clear to stop that shipping in the Red Sea at the point when the strats of a Munds are already closed, you know, you really are going to cause chaos in world trade if that's the case. And that's the sort of the deep breath moment we're waiting for as far as the trade and the Hoofs are concerned. In the next twenty four to forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Coming up, more of my conversation with Cameron Stewart. When these big international dramas happen, can it's your job to write analysis that explains it for the rest of us. I've loved some of your analysis pieces since this war began and we all scrambled into action on Saturday night. In one of them, you talked about Israel as the new superpower? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: The decapitation of the Iranian regime from the Ayatola supreme leader and according to Trump, at least up to fifty of senior leaders, and the obvious military superiority that Israel now has over Iran really has enshrined it as the superpower of the Middle East. And the great irony of this, Claire, is that this has occurred really through a series of mistakes by Iran. Ever since the October seventh massacre of israelis by Hamas in twenty twenty three. From that point on Iran's proxies. That was a crazy move by Hamas. It end in the destruction of Gaza and effectively the destruction off a mass's okherent fighting force. Then the other Iranian proxy, Hesbalah, joined the fight against Israel with lobbing bombs and missiles into northern Israel for over a year until Israel comprehensively routed it through a whole series of moves, including the assassination of hesbla's long standing leader. And then Iran, I think was just too much, had too much hubris and overconfidence, and launched some assaults on Israel that were very very unsuccessful, with Israel shooting down almost every missile that came its way. And then, of course last June we had the joint Israeli US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities, and Iran was very toothless in its response to that. And now we've had situation where in the lead up to this conflict, knowing that Donald Trump had sent two aircraft carrier task forces to the region, Iran was still belligerent in its negotiations, refusing to give concessions on its nuclear program or its ballistic missile program, which for the demands the Americans were making. And now we've seen this happen, and so through a whole series of missteps orchestraled bay Iran. Since October seven, Israel, almost by the factor status is now the Steve Grabery of the Middle East. It is the superpower of the Middle East.
Speaker 1: We've talked a little bit on the front before cam about how in the October seven, twenty twenty three attack, Hamas and therefore Iran, which funds her mass achieved exactly what they wanted, that is to make Israel a pariah on the world stage. In Western capitals, in Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane, westerners were marching in protest against Israel. Do you think now that the war has widened to Iran, the Gulf, the United States, that that is going to ease and we're going to see less antisemitism, less critique of Israel itself.
Speaker 2: I think the Palestinian Israeli question is almost a bit of an isolated question in the minds of many people. I mean, we've seen a lot of the protesters, a lot of the anti Israeli and anti Semitism here in Australia for example, really focus almost entirely around that conflict. We didn't see these processes come out early on when Iranian dissidents were being slaughtered in the streets. So I think that is a slightly separate issue to the broader Middle East conflict, and it's really interesting isn't it the mainment. You've got anti Iranian regime protesters now on the streets celebrating the death of Maini and actually thanking the US and Israel for this behavior. So we really do have some interesting splits in the Islamic community between Palestinians and Iranians about these conflicts.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart, thank you very much, pleasure. Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can read cams analysis, plus all our news from correspondents around the world and experts right here, right now at the Australian dot com dot au