Speaker 1: This is the US Report with James Morrow.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program coming up tonight. Where to now for the Donald and Elon? And will America ever get its finances back on track? Plus China's new bio warfare threat? Was there a secret plot by Beijing to smuggle crop killing diseases into the USA? And oh, apparently it's not nice to deport the families of alleged terrorists, even if they've overstayed their visas themselves. The latest idiocy from the tolerant left. But first, breaking news from the intersection of politics and technology. Former best buddies Donald Trump and Elon Musk are now engaged in a throwdown for the ages best buddies know more. They are now anything but friends and may in fact be now the best of enemies. Let's get stuck into what has been going on over the past few hours. The heart of the issue, the trigger for the fight between these two men, would seem to be Donald Trump's big, beautiful spending and tax cut bill, which has passed the House but still has to get through the Senate. Now, despite what has been called, there's been a growing concern which I brought to you last week that this bill was not going to go far enough to cut spending and save America from going off a debt cliff. Elon Musk also called it out, and I agreed with him when he left DOGE as his one hundred and thirty day term especial government advisor clocked out because the thing is, Musk had a point. The US debt is growing by something like a trillion dollars every one hundred and eighty days. That's not a joke, as Joe Biden would say. And the big beautiful bill of Donald Trump doesn't go anywhere near far enough to fix the overall problem. Well, okay, that's the policy dispute, but who boy, Now it is personal and there is clearly so much more happening behind the scenes driving this fight that is burst out into the headlines today. Because if you thought social media cat fights were nasty in high school, well check out what happens when the world's richest man and the world's most powerful man throw down online. Earlier, on his true social account, Trump posted this, and this was in response to a number of tweets by Elon Musk attacking the budget bill. Trump said Elon was wearing thin I asked him to leave. I took away his EV mandate that forced everyone to buy electric cars that nobody else wanted, that he knew for months I was going to do, and he just went crazy, Trump said. Trump followed that up with this post. He said, the easiest way to save money in our budget, billions of dollars, is to terminate elon governmental subsidasent contracts. I was always surprised that Biden didn't do what he said, and Trump had this to say in the Oval Office just a little while ago.
Speaker 3: I'm very disappointed because Elon knew the inner workings of this.
Speaker 4: Bill better than almost anybody sitting.
Speaker 3: Here, better than you people.
Speaker 4: He knew everything about it. He had no problem with it.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden he.
Speaker 3: Had a problem. And he only developed the problem when you found out that we're going to have to cut the EV manto. He knew every aspect of this bill, he knew it better than almost anybody, and he never had a problem until right after he left. And if you saw these sagments he made about me, which I'm sure you can get for age, it's very fresh on tape. He said the most beautiful things about me, and he hasn't said bad about me personally, but I'm sure that'll be next.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, but I'm sure that'll be next. The President said, well, hold that thought, because indeed that is what came next. Elon hit back, and the word hit by the way also comes into this a bit later. Just trust me on this. Elon called Trump and House Speaker Mike Johnson out on their previous commitments to cutting spending when they say the Big Beautiful Bill barely touches aside. Musk also noted that he's always been against EV subsidies, despite what the President says, reposting this from twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: We don't need this seventy five hundred dollar TAXTS credit.
Speaker 6: I would say, honestly, I would just candae hold bill, don't pass it.
Speaker 7: That's my recommendation.
Speaker 8: About what about the support though for the charging it or I mean, there are parts of this billing.
Speaker 2: Musk has also gone through Trump's old tweets when Trump said that no member of Congress should be re elected if the budget is not balanced, something the Big Beautiful Bill fails to do. But as foreshadowed, Elon also got personal, I mean really personal, writing just hours ago quote time to drop the really big bomb. Donald Trump is in the Epstein files. That is the real reason they have not been made public. Have a nice day, DJT. Well, I don't really know where to go with this though. Really, Donald Trump has no choice now but to finally release the full Epstein files, and not just those binders full of nonsense he handed out back in February. It's the bright wig influencers. But this all gets even more reality show because if you look at this little shiner Elon Musk seems to be sporting in this White House press conference. Well, Trump also made reference to this when he spoke in the Oval office earlier.
Speaker 3: You saw a man who was very happy when he stood behind the Oval desk, and even.
Speaker 9: With the black guy.
Speaker 4: I said, do you want a little makeup?
Speaker 3: We'll get you to the Mecca, but he said no, I don't think so, which is interesting.
Speaker 8: And very nice.
Speaker 3: He wants to be who he is, so you could make that stuff in two I guess.
Speaker 2: That's pretty interesting. Why would he even bother mentioning this? What is this all about? Well, as I told you earlier, the word hit would come into play here and the rumor that is going around and I stress it. It's just a rumor, but it's being pushed by Trump pop proxies. Is that Elon received that black guy courtesy of White House advisor and deportation savant Stephen Miller. Because and again I stress as a rumor, there's probably nothing to it, I'm sure, but the accusation is that Elon made a play for Miller's wife. Ed Miller responded in kind Wow. Anyway, it's just scirless gossip going around, but it shows just how far things have descended between the two men and their warring camps. Now, this is so wild that it's hard not to have a little fun with it. I mean, Internet philosopher Jarvis, a very funny guy on X, posted this and said it was time for the pair to be forced to wear their get along shirt, and others have wondered if the search term how do I get the add to Elon sticker off by Tesla without wrecking the paint has started trending across the country. But there is more to this too, and more serious stuff. Billions of dollars is at stake. Trump is pulling Musk's SpaceX government contracts, and Musk has shut down his Dragon space program. Is there some four D chess going on here? You have to wonder, I mean, why are these two going at it like this? Is this cover for Trump to kill a bad bill? Is this some other political strategy at work? I don't know, but maybe. But this is still, though, the predictable result of what happens when you have two giant egos and two giant bank accounts and two men who think they're the one in charge in the same place. Because politics are no this is serious business. And frankly, while I think that Elon Musk has a real point, because the US debt is growing, as I said, at an unsustainable rate a trillion dollars every six months, this online tantrum is really destructive because in politics, you know, the perfect has very often made the enemy of the good. The big beautiful bill does, according to the White House, contain one point six trillion dollars in spending cuts and keeps tax cuts in place. And now, with both sides getting absolutely into the mud, the vital business of getting America back on fiscal track has been pushed to the back burner. As Donald Trump himself might say, sad, hey, before I bring in my first guest, While the White House may be melting down. I thought it was only fair to show you also just how adrift the Democrats are at this moment. Yesterday I turned into the debate between Democrats from mayor in my old hometown of New York, and I couldn't believe what they were saying. Look at this. Here's one candidate, Brad Lager, saying that he would warn illegal immigrants of ice raids and give them free health care.
Speaker 10: Absolutely warn people before they walk into ice. I've proposed creating an independent health authority to segment off city money from Medicaid money. And I want to expand NYC care so it's not just in health and hospitals, but in our federally qualified health centers as well.
Speaker 2: And here's Jessica Ramos saying she wants to get lawyers to help local illegal immigrants and get them into the workforce.
Speaker 11: I want to make sure that in a town with so many lawyers, our immigrants have lawyers, and our immigrants do what they came here to do work. It is our response. It will be my responsibility as mayor of the City of New York.
Speaker 2: Local workers having their wages pushed down will surely be grateful for her efforts. Meanwhile, Muslim socialist candidate Zorrod Mamdani, who is looking a good chance to get the domination, well he couldn't even support the idea of Israel as a Jewish state.
Speaker 12: Does guess or no?
Speaker 4: Do you believe in a Jewish state of Israel?
Speaker 9: I believe Israel has the rights to exist as a Jewish state, as.
Speaker 2: A state with equal rights. Yeah, equal rights. I think we all know what that means, and we saw it on October seventh. Look, it's clear to me that the Democrats, for as much as they complained about Trump and whip up every move he makes into something bigger than Watergate, well they haven't learned the lesson of twenty twenty four. Americans reject comprehensively all that open border stuff that they were talking about. They reject anti Semitism, and they reject every other nutty proposition of the progressive left that was up on that debate stage there the other night. Americans gave it a hard no. Yet absent any adult leadership in the playbook, this is what the Democrats are running with. The fact is a smart party would be capitalizing on what's going on in Washtin right now. But the Democrats, well they are still stuck back in a Black Lives Matter riot. Well, joining me now to break this all down is Fox News contributor Joe Conca. Joe, thanks for joining me on this well, very slow news day that we're happy having in the United States. Tell me what the hell is going on with Donald Trump and Elon Musk.
Speaker 13: I think no one can tell you what's going on with Elon Musk and Donald Trump. At this point. I was at mar A Lago New Year's Eve, and I saw these two men sitting next to each other at the President's table, and they were talking NonStop. They seemed to get along so well, not just in private, but in public as well. They seem to have the same mission in terms of cutting waste, fraud, and corruption from the US government. It exists in every government basically, especially here. And then this just kind of came out of nowhere. Quite frankly. Elon Musk, in terms of being a temporary employee of the government, leaves and suddenly started doing interviews where he was sort of kind of insulting or not insulting, at least criticizing the administration. And then suddenly on social media over the last two days just exploded completely, where at one point he's accusing Donald Trump and being in the Epstein file. So this is not something that I think could be repaired at this point. The question is can Donald Trump get his big beautiful bill over the finish line to his desk and Elon Musk, I guess I just don't know. I wish I could tell you what's going on, but no one knows what's going on at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I know, and we're all just sort of speculating here. But two things I find really fascinating here. Number One, and we all know that Donald Trump sometimes has personality clashes with people, but very often he initiates those. This is a case though, where it seems like looking through the timeline, Elon Musk very much provoked this fight. And I'm thinking that just when it comes to the nature of money versus power, you know, he may have the money, but Donald Trump has the power, and some of this stuff that he's been doing, I think, you know, he's maybe cut himself a bit loose, even though he's got a fair point about this fiscal state of the United States.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's the thing here. Usually you hit Donald Trump, it's an immediate CounterPunch. In this case, it took days before Trump responded. And really, I mean, Musk was just egging and egging as far as a bunch of stuff again on social media, which were very personal, very snarky, and you would think the men hated each other their whole lives. But Trump finally had to respond. But he almost looks like the adult here to this point compared to Musk as far as what exactly he's trying to communicate here. And I'm talking about Elon Musk, because yeah, everybody thinks that we get cut more in spending, but you can't pass a bill with the minorities that the majorities as you say, Republicans have in the House in the Senate, which are very very slim in order to pass this. What Elon Musk wants is not based in reality. You know, politics is the possibility of the possible, right. In other words, you have to be able to live in a pragmatic world in order to say, Okay, we want to cut all these things but also have tax cuts, Well, you can't have both. In this case, Donald Trump wants growth as far as like the deficit. That's something different altogether. But I think Elon Musk is definitely looking like he's in the wrong here, and the fact that he doesn't have a plan that he's offering up himself says a lot about what this argument's about.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, that's right, Joe. I mean, Elon Musk did spend all of that time, one hundred and thirty days running DOGE, and you know, he found a lot of things. He cut a lot of things, but you know, ultimately it hasn't produced anywhere near the sort of savings that were promised to us all when he came in and he was given that commission.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he wanted one trillion in cuts. He found about one hundred and seventy five billion. Now, he found it, but he can't just cut it, right, I mean, the Congress has to do that. It's recommendations at this point. So here's the thing, and I don't want to go into the weeds too much for your audience, but basically, the big Beautiful bill is about mandatory spending cuts. What Elon Musk found in DOGE is discretionary. And that's a second bill that Trump says is coming and we'll start to cut based on Elon Musk recommendations, but in the big beautiful bill that that's not about what Elon Musk found. But he seems to be confused as far as what can be done in this bill and what can be done in a future bill. And I think that the President's team and the President himself has tried to tell must this, but he's just not listening at this point. The bottom line is that you can't run the government like you can a company like Twitter, for example, when he brought it where you just start cutting stuff, there's a lot of other things involved. There are Congresses and senates and majorities and minorities. It's just not the way that Elon Musk thinks it should go, because that's just not the way government works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, look, I just think that it's such a shame when I keep saying it that the US is headed for a fiscal cliff, and you take these personalities out of it, the same problem still exists, and this is going to have to be sorted out one way or the other. But you know, in the meantime, there's a lot of other things going on here. We had President Trump opposing a travel ban on citizens from twelve countries Afghanistan, yemen, I, ran a bunch of others, and a partial ban on some other ones. Now this is now the first time President Trump has evoked a ban. But this has got the left absolutely up in arms. Yet when you look at the executive order, it seems to me it's got some good reasons, including the fact that a lot of these countries, about twenty percent of the people who come in overstay their visas.
Speaker 13: Yes, exactly, and we saw that recently in Boulder, Colorado, or a man who overstayed his visa from Egypt, then got two work permits through the Biden administration, then declared asylum, which means you get to stay longer because the system's so overwhelmed you can't hear your case for years, and then carried out what looked like a reenactment of the Holocaust, where he literally tried to light elderly Jews on fire who were just gathering to call for the release of Israeli hostages from Gaza who had been there since October seventh of twenty twenty three. And this guy goes in and basically throws Molotov cocktails at them and tries to murder them. So that's Trump's point that we can't have people from countries that come in here on work visas or visit visas and then they overstay they're welcome. It's something like forty percent of people have visas, overstay their welcome end up staying in the country altogether. And many of those countries are hostile to the United States. So as far as the way the American people see this, they're in agreement with it. But of course the American media and Democrats are saying this is horrible, and this is xenophobia, and this is racism, all those things. But they're not on the right side of the argument when it comes to what the American people think. That's certainly for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, they're absolutely not cho because this is absolutely striking to me. You know, this guy who came in stayed his visa, allegedly committed the serific crime in Little Colorado. He brought his whole family, and the family overstayed their visas apparently too. Now quite obviously the government is trying to kick them out and deport them. And yet you now have lawyers who are now filing suits to let the family stay in. And you've got newspaper articles about, oh, how these people's dreams are going to be crushed of living in America. Well, they've already overstayed their visa. How is this going to help the Democrats at all? I would think the Democrats would have so much they could work with right now with what's going on, and yet they keep finding themselves on the wrong side of these really common sense issues.
Speaker 13: That's the thing, right, I mean, you have like kilmar Garcia abrego Garcia, excuse me, who is the Mariland man, the loving father who oh you ms gangbanger who happened to beat his wife, happened to engage in human trafficking allegedly, and you have Democratic lawmakers going down to El Salvador to have margaritas with these people. It's amazing how they are trying to protect the people that are here illegally in committing crimes over the people that they're supposed to protect, which are people are here legally and not committing crimes. So again, forget eighty twenty issue, this is like a ninety nine to one issue in terms of ninety nine percent of people think that violent criminals who are here in the US illegally should be gone, and the other one percent say no, and those one percent are probably drunk.
Speaker 2: Joe Kanco, I'm gonna have to leave it there. Thanks so much for joining me. I'll lets you go get one of those margarita's, but not with an MS thirteen member.
Speaker 13: Oh not tonight, but thank you. I appreciate that. I have a good night.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there's so much news going on. We don't want to miss any of the other things that have been happening this week, and that's why we're joined now by Peter Schweitzer, president of the Government Accountability Institute and author of Red Handed, How American Elites got rich helping China win. Peter, thanks for joining me today. And there's a really disturbing story I heard about this week coming out of Michigan, where two Chinese students are being invested negated for bringing in a toxic fungus to the United States. Now, according to reports, the FBI said authorities also found, along with the fungus, a scientific article on one of the two's phones titled plant pathogen warfare under Changing Climate Conditions. The charge has been laid against two of these dudents for conspiracy, smuggling, false statements, and visa fraud. But this Peter is a really shocking story with some really terrifying implications. Tell us about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is. I mean, China operates under something called disintegration warfare, and it's basically, we are going to be at war with the West, Australia, the United States, and Europe. We're going to do it short of kinetic warfare because we don't want a shooting war, but we're going to use things like fentanol, for example, or plant pathogens to make life very difficult for these countries. And this seems to be another example of that type of warfare. And I think it speaks to the large problem this debate we're having in the United States about the role of Chinese students. I mean, look, I think we all would love to have students come from around the world learn help the United States learn more on scientific issues. The problem is when you look at so many of the issues taking place, it involves Chinese students. Look at the issue of fentanyl. I mean, the Drug Enforcement Agency has been saying it for years. The money laundering that takes place by the drug cartels in the United States oftentimes is done by Chinese students who are in the United States on student visas. They bring suitcases of cash to Chinese state owned banks in the United States to launder the money. You have this issue of pathogens, You certainly have the issue of technology being stolen. So it is a major problem. These are not students as we traditionally think about it in the context of the Western.
Speaker 2: World, and Peter, it's been revealed, just speaking about students, and particularly Harvard, which is of course ground zero for so much from the Trump administration's efforts to fight against this phenomenon. It's been revealed that Harvard's twenty twenty five commencement speaker, Luana Yorongjiang, apparently worked for a Chinese Communist party entity with extensive ties to Beijing's military and intelligence networks. Here's a little bit what she spoke about.
Speaker 1: I promise of a connected world, it's giving way to division, fear, and conflict. We're starting to believe those who think differently, vote differently, will pray differently. But are they across the ocean we're sitting right next to us. I'm not just wrom we mistakenly see them as evil.
Speaker 2: I mean, Peter, this struck me here listening to her that. Really what's fascinating is you got this person who has got ties to the Chinese Communist Party using woke speak to essentially basically push their agenda. Tell us about this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a classic example of Chinese propaganda. I mean they talk about issues like human rights, they talk about diversity, they talk about racial intolerance. If you want to look at the major problem in all of those areas, it's in China under the CCP, And yet they come here and lecture us about problems that, yes, we do have sometimes in these areas. The thing to keep in mind is with her, but also with a lot of the students that are going to Harvard. These are not you know, nineteen twenty one year old kids that are coming to Harvard fresh out of college, sort of with wide eyes looking at the world. These are oftentimes middle ranking bureaucrats in their late twenties that are going to the Kennedy School at Harvard. They're going to get their MBA at Harvard, maybe they're coming to study the hard sciences. These are people that are already part of the CCP party and government apparatus. So we need to stop engaging in mirror imaging. That is thinking that when China is sending students is just as if Australia or the United States is sending students.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 8: It's part of a sophisticated effort that they have to undermine the United States to gather intelligence and to perpetuate the interests of the CCP. So when they talk about issues like racial justice, the question that needs to be asked of them is how is China doing, and not how are the wigers doing? How is Tibet doing, How are racial minorities in China doing? The answer is not good at all. So that's completely dis ingenuous when they talk about these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, exactly right. And you know this also leads to other issues. It's not just the schools, of course, in the United States, there's also issuament land and assets, and you know, particularly land and farmland near American military ins installations. Big contract this week in Arizona, where the governor Katie Hobbs is she's under fire for VENO, a bill that would have banned the Chinese government from owning a stake of thirty percent or more of any property in the state.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Hobbes argued that the bill lacks implementation criteria and opens the door to arbitrary enforcement. But you know, when do you think about this in the context of the Chinese Communist Party's war to undermine the West, which is season arrival and has a long history of doing this sort of thing, it would seem that this would make strategic sense. Here in Australia, we have a fight to get our port of Darwin back, which is a critical port. It seems that this would be a no brainer.
Speaker 8: In the US, Yeah, it should be a no brainer. Certainly Arizona's that's the case. In California, Governor Gavin Newsom veto to bill. The bill in California, it was passed by Democrats and Republicans with strong majorities in the state legislature. That bill simply said that Chinese government cannot buy land, and Gavin Newsom didn't want to prevent that from happening either. All I would contend to people who say, oh, this has much ado about nothing is look at what just happened, what Ukraine just did with Russia, and I say, good job, rightfully. So they were able to smuggle in drones, launch those drones with military precision, and take out major aircraft at Russian military bases, if you own farmland, if you own vacant lots near military installations. There is no reason God forbid if there was a major conflict between China and the United States, that China could not execute the exact same type of operation. So this is not fantasizing, This is not conspiracy theory. This is looking at the realities of warfare today. Warfare is no longer about guys in the trenches shooting at each other. It's far more mobile than that, and drone technology and other advanced technologies would allow China to use these strategic locations near US military installations to launch military strikes. Ukraine did it. Certainly China could do it against the United States if they needed to.
Speaker 2: Peter, I'm so glad you mentioned Ukraine because that was exactly my thought when I heard those reports out of Russia, and I thought, it won't always be the good guys who are manning those drones. Peter Schweitzer, thank you so much for joining me on the US report. Now stick around because when we get back, Gerard Baker is going to tell us more about the fight over the budget and the future of Trump at the Bag of Movement. But before we go to the break. Check this out. German Chancellor Frederick Mertz was just in the White House meeting with Donald Trump, and while it went a lot better than some recent meetings with world leaders, there was an interesting little discussion of history. Check this out.
Speaker 7: May I remind you that we are having June sixth tomorrow. This is d Day anniversary when the Americans once ended the war in Europe. And I think this is in your hand in specific in ours.
Speaker 4: That is not a pleasant day, fean, No, that was.
Speaker 2: Love of pleasant not a pleasant day. That's right. But you know what else, if the Allies hadn't won, hey might should be speaking German right now. Oh wait, hang on anyway, Gerard Baker coming up after the break. Welcome back to the program. In a moment, Baker will take us through the rot at Harvard and why Trump is right to be cleaning up the sewer of wokeness in higher education. If only some of our local leaders had that sort of courage. But before we get to all that, another rat is jumping off the sinking ship of Joe Biden's legacy. This time it's Corene Jean Pierre. You remember her. She was the one who was always circling back and unable to do anything more than gaslight the press corps. That no, really, Joe Biden totally okay, Well guess what, Like so many other people who were in on the grift, she's cashing in and selling out. Curine Jean Pierre is putting out now her own book about her time in what she calls a broken White House. Oh great now, she tells us, and oh, by the way, she's also declaring that she's no longer a Democrat. Instead she's independent. Well, okay, fine, But the funny thing is that just as everyone saw through Karine Jean Pierre's routine when she was Press secretary, seeing through her stick now Politico dot com reports that her former colleagues have their knives out. One Democrat operative who worked with Jean Pierre prior to her White House tenure called the son and turn about quote the most grifty thing I've seen in a long time, and that is saying something in Washington unquote. Journalist Mark Halprin was just on Fox saying the whole thing is a mess.
Speaker 6: A reaction across the board is shock for the reasons you said, how did she write it so quickly? Who's gonna buy it?
Speaker 1: And what is.
Speaker 6: Someone who was identified as a defender of a Democratic president in a couple months suddenly decides she's an independent.
Speaker 2: And here's CNN House Conservative and the only reason to switch over to that FETI network. Scott Jennings, I.
Speaker 9: Have a different view.
Speaker 12: I'd like to congratulate Democrats for riding yourselves of this untalented mediocrity. I mean, this is the most self aggrandizing liar that has ever held this job. The White House Press secretary is a sacred position, and she stood up there for years and lied through her teeth to the American people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but I don't think the cree Jean Pierre book screams bestseller at me now. Instead, I reckon it's about six months away from being piled up in the bargain been a cost Co, where it'll find a home with the works of so many other Democratic luminaries. All right, Well, joining me now is editor at Large and the Wall Street Journal Gerard Baker, to talk about all the huge news of the last twelve hours. Gerard, thank you so much for joining me when I had originally invited. Do you want to want to talk about Harvard and all that sort of stuff, and we're gonna get to that in a moment, I promise, But first of all, I've got to get your thoughts on this huge blow up between Donald Trump and Elon Musk, because at the start of the week we had sort of a philosophical fight between the MAGA and libertarian wings of the Republicans over this budget bill, and now it's turned into a full on personal Donnie Brook, the whole thing's very hard to fathom, and I'd love to explore with you where, beyond the egos and the personalities, what this split is on the right in America between you know, the purists who want more cuts, the Trump camp, and I guess any of the old school conservatives who must be looking at this and throwing up their hands. What do you make of all of it?
Speaker 5: Jarn Well, James, as you say, this is just absolutely spectacular, meltdown, blow up, whatever term you want to used to describe this breakdown and the relationship between these two men, who you know, enormously powerful men who seem to be complementing each other, both complementing in both senses of the word. Musk obviously helping get Donald Trump elected, and Musk helping hoping to get things out of his relationship with Donald Trump. Look, your right to put it in the context obviously what's going on more broadly in the Republican Party with this dispute within the party over whether or not this budget bill that they're trying to push through Congress, Donald Trump's big beautiful bill, which would cut taxes or more correctly, extend the tax cuts that are already in place which are due to expire at the end of this year, would extend those tax cuts, cut a little bit of spending, but overall it would add dramatically to the fiscal deficit the US, as you know, James already has a huge fiscal deficit. This would add significantly to it. The deficit would go up to something like sixty trillion dollars over the next sorry, the total debt the US has will go up to sixty trillion dollars over the next ten years. And there are a lot of Republicans who are very nervous about this, and Elon Musk is articulating those concerns. I think where it comes in particularly and where it's personal with Elon Musk. His Musk you remember, was the man that Donald Trump appointed to head the DOZE operationally Department of Government Efficiency. And I think Musk, you know, whatever else one thinks about Musk, I think must genuinely believed he had a kind of mission there to reduce the sizes of government, and to do that in order to get government spending on a kind of sustainable level, so that he would help, you know, his legacy would be dealing with this massive deficit. As it turned out, there was no real prospect of him being able to do much with that DOGE operation. Many vested interests in the government, including in the Republican Party, stopped him from doing that. I think he feels angry about that that in the end, you know, the big cuts he hoped to get ended up being an absolute paltry amount. And I think he's angry that he's been sort of rather exposed and humiliated and even used by the process. And that's why he's pushing this case now that these the budget bill that Congress is passing is very, very reckless, and of course this has put him straight into conflict with President Trump, who himself, of course is the man ultimately behind these policies.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's an interesting thing that we talk about here because if you take these two huge personalities Musk and Trump out of the equation, as you say, there's still this huge fiscal crisis in the American budget, and frankly we have a similar one on a smaller scale playing out here in Australia. Is it possible now for democracies like the United States, like Australia that are facing huge fiscal imbalances, that have huge demands for social services, with all of the guardrails in place, with all the politics that are involved, is there a way out? Do you think four countries like the United States to ever get back on a fiscal path or is there some cliff that the US is heading for that no personality, no Musk, no Trump, and certainly no major party can cope with.
Speaker 5: Well, there has to be a way out, because, as you say that the cliff option, if you're if you're heading down from a high place, down from a mountain, you've got two choices. One the steep decline, traversing around the bends and twists and managing that carefully or going over the edge. Only one typically ends up with you surviving at the end of it, So, you know, they've got to find a way down this from this extraordinary debt mountain that they have. Yeah, there are ways to do it, James, but they're politically painful, right. They either have to raise taxes, which nobody ever wants to do, or they have to cut spending, which Republicans are supposed to want to do. But we're seeing increasingly, especially this new Republican Party, which is a party that is appealing more and more to working class voters, to voters who rely on things like social security and medicare, many many more of those voters are voting Republican now than used to vote than they did when they used to vote Democrat. So you've got a party that has got a vested interest in keeping taxes low and also increasingly got a vested interest in keeping spending high. That is a recipe obviously for massive fiscal chaos, and they've got to get to grips with that. So far they're not doing it. There are ways to do it, you could, you know, the USA is doing. To get into the details, but the US does have a very expensive pension system, social Security, which is generous, much more generous. Actually, people don't often know this much more generous than most Western countries have. Those changes could be made. Not everybody, you know, the gold and Sax investment banker doesn't need to receive the same amount of Social Security payments as the person who's been unemployed for the last ten years. So there are ways in which these can be addressed, same with Medicare or Medicaid spending. It will be painful, but it needs to be done, because this is a very important point.
Speaker 1: James.
Speaker 5: I just want to make a drive home, and I know it's the same in Australia too. The more the deficit goes up, the more the deficit continues, the debt goes up, the more the government is paying every year in debt interest cost in debt service costs, and those debt service costs alone will be eating up the bulk of the government's revenue. The United States is going a position in the next few years where the largest single entry in its books, in its spending book, will be debt interest. It won't defense spending, it won't be Social Security or Medicare or any of those things. It will be the amount it's paying in interest on the debt that is, on the money that's borrowed over the previous period, so that is not sustainable. That is where you get into what people talk about as a debt spiral, a kind of vicious circle where you have to borrowing more and more and more money just to pay the interest on the debt that you already have.
Speaker 2: Look, it's a huge crisis. We both know it. And you know, touch social Security in your peril. That's what I've been told for decades in the United States. But Jared, before I let you go, I want to ask too. There was an extraordinary piece in your newspaper, the Wall Street Journal this week about Harvard, and it said that it had educated so many people from the Chinese Communist Party that they called it the party school, not in the sense of a party with a you know, party school with lots of beer and parties and all that, but the Communist party. And you have said, You've written a great piece where you say that, even though you're a big critic of Trump on a lot of things, when it comes to higher education and Harvard, bring it on. Bring on this fight with Harvard and clean up the mess that's going on there. Tell us a little bit more about what has been happening at Harvard, particularly if it's made it so corrupted by CCP influence and everything else.
Speaker 5: Well, a number of things, James, As you know, all universities in the West, I know it's true in Australia, it's true in the UK, it's certainly true in the United States. Of these elite universities have become captured in the last thirty years by this progressive left who control all of the major faculties, all of the institutions, crucially, who can control the administration. They practice an affirmative action policies, discriminating against people of certain races because they don't fit the ideological agenda of these people. They ban people from speaking at these universities. They teach only a monocultural left wing progressive ideology. They indoctrinate students with this stuff. It's got worse and worse and worse for thirty years, and it has major, major implications for the way in which the country develops, the way in which our culture develops. And I'm sorry to say. Look, I don't like any government interfering with education, with private education, with private institutionents. But in the end, terrible situation like we have in American education does require hard measures, and that's why, in the end, I think Trump is actually right on this.
Speaker 2: Ron Baker, We're going to have to live with there. I think you're absolutely right. Read his stuff. Everybody in the Wall Street Journal, great columns there about America. Stick around because of a moment. I will be joined by Breonna Lyman. But before we go to the break, let's have some fun AI style thanks to this video of Donald Trump discussing a new way to secure the border via humorist Maverick Darby. Isn't a deep fake or is it real? You'd be the judge.
Speaker 4: My administration and I have been taking careful note of the work of Colossal Labs, the biotech company that resurrected the dire wolf. If they can bring back wolves, they can bring back dinosaurs. Terrible lizard. That's what dinosaur means if you break it down. But picture this, folks, velociraptor mounted border patrol agents. They'll rip your head clear off. Pterodactyls patrolling the skies, Velasi raptors on the ground to prevent the immigration apocalypse, who we may have to counter with a dino apocalypse, folks, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. A din apocalypse, folks in to make Tom Hogan look like a pussy cat stick around Brian Elvin in a tick. Welcome back to the program, and I'm thrilled now to be joined by the Federalist dot COM's elections correspondent, Brianna Live and Brianna, thanks for coming back on the US report. So much to talk about, but I want to talk about the media, and there's a lot of fake news going around in the US. The Washington Post had a phenomenal piece with a phenomenal headline that I'd love your reaction to this reading the mysterious drop in fentanyl seizures on the US Mexico border. I mean, Brianna, gosh, is somebody to tell them what happened here? Or are they just going to sort of just think that stuff happening on the southern border where that has nothing to do with who's in the White House.
Speaker 14: This would be the equivalent of turning off the faucet and saying, I wonder why the water is not running anymore. The fact that the Washington Post is so oblivious to the obvious, and the obvious being that when Donald Trump took office, the first thing he did was shut the southern border down. He declared these cartels as foreign terrorist organizations. He took every step he could in order to treat them the way they should have been treated under the Biden administration. So of course the flow of Fentanel will stop. And I think the real mystery here is how does anyone at the Washington Post still have a job after writing something so embarrassingly dumb?
Speaker 2: Well, you know it rives me. Brianna of a famous headliner of the New York Post about the New York Times, sorry about saying, well, you know, incarcerations keep rising, but somehow crime keeps falling. We don't know what's going on here. And you know it's a very typical sort of liberal newspaper sort of sort of behavior. But also want to move on to say, yell here that the Daily Caller revealed this week that tells us what's going on in America's classrooms. They found that the head Start program, very popular government education program, apparently has been holding webinars for teachers on anti bias and anti racism structure strategies, warrant teachers that babies could be racist, and even change the lyrics of old McDonald had a farm to Old McDonald had a farm, and on the farm he she they had a pig, Ei Eio Brianna. And we wonder why Donald Trump wants to cut the Department of Education.
Speaker 14: Yeah, there's so many things to say on this. First, on the Department of Education, that is exactly the reason. Right. First of all, our test scores, reading, math, all that that has declined since the creation of the Department of Education in the nineteen seventies. Right, So this is just another example of where is the money actually being put towards. The second thing is when people talk about Doge and all the savings stacheat, this is another example of wasteful federal spending. The last thing I'd say is that Democrats have yet to catch on for some reason that this divisive politics, right this, you know, race based rhetoric is not appealing to the average American, especially the American electorate that decides the president. So this is a type of policy decision that Democrats as a party should call us around and say, you know what, that's ridiculous. A baby can't be racist. Let's not you know, make up the most crazy things we can. Let's try to get back and ground ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Hey, you know, just sticking around this kind of intersection of media and culture which is so fascinating. Big win for the one and only Megan Kelly, who's been a long time critic of the Algerian boxer Emone Khalif, who she declared was a man even after winning gold in Paris. Well, now it's been revealed through a leak medical report that the chromosome analysis makes her a male. It seems to me, Brianna, that Megan Kelly is owed a massive apology from all of those people who really gave her a lot of noise over this one.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 14: You know, what Megan Kelly did is state the obvious. Megan Kelly used one of her five centses, she used her eyes, and she made a very obvious determination. And unfortunately, there is so much gaslighting coming from the left because they're into this gender bending ideology that they try to smear and malign her. And as it turns out, you know, like any good conspiracy theories, do you give it a few months, maybe a year, and it comes true, right, So Megan Kelly's kind of experiencing that end of the cycle right there. But I think it's to a larger point, Americans and people in general need to stop worrying about the public backlash for stating something that is true and obvious. Otherwise you create a society that is extremely weak and vulnerable to just someone with a big enough voice shutting them down, even if they're wrong.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right. And as we all know, the left moves on those sorts of consensus politics where they try and shut down anybody who dissents. But I also want to talk to now because I love going back to this guy. He still has entertainment even though he didn't win the election. Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz, who could have been Vice president, well this week finally seemed to understand why young American men voted for Donald Trump. Although it wasn't Wallsho came to the realization. Turned out it was his son. How A, look at this.
Speaker 15: They're doing it because there's a sense of excitement, a sense of thrill in this. It's entertainment or whatever. We all dismiss that Donald Trump's a clown. You know, Donald Trump's rallies are a clown. And I think Donald Trump understands belonging, understand groups. But I don't think we went out to get them. We didn't out to make them feel a part of this.
Speaker 2: The idea of a leader that is entertaining appeals to young men and makes him feel like they belong. Why is this rocket size to the left or do they just want to keep saying, oh, you were men, you were bad, You're toxic. You know.
Speaker 14: I actually think Tim Walls is still getting it wrong because when Donald Trump was going out and he's doing it like this McDonald stunt, these funny things, he was actively mocking the left. He wasn't just trying to entertain them. He was doing it to show how stupid the Democratic Party was, and people appreciated that type of authenticity and honesty. That's what Tim Wall's doesn't seem to grab. The other thing is Donald Trump isn't simply giving people red hats and you know, cool fun chance which he has given us. Don't get me wrong, but Donald Trump is giving a place in particular for young men to be because leading up to the election, a lot of first time voters are people who had never voted Republican were telling places like USA today, I want to put food on the table, I want to roof over my head, and I can't do that in this economy. Men were being emasculated by Democrat policy. So Donald Trump comes in and says, no, I'm going to create policies that allow you to lean into your masculinity. And until Democrats stop focusing on this hyper obnoxious girl boss regime mentality, they will continue to create policies that do push men away. So it's about policy, not as much as Donald Trump just happened to be entertaining.
Speaker 2: Briannalm, We're going to have leeve with there. I think you might have gotten in trouble with the hashtag sisterhood for that girl boss comment, but I love it. Thank you so much for your sharp analysis as always, and for joining me on the US Report. Now stick around because Only in America is coming up. But first, strange things are happening at of all places, anime conventions. They're going mega Yeah. I don't know what's going on there. Someone's going to have to explain that one to me sometime. But you stick around. Only in America is coming up. After the break, Welcome back to the program, And now it's time for that little segment that we like to call Lead America. Well, I wanted to bring you this a little bit because it hits so well on a topic that we talk a lot about here on the program, which is why does the left love violence so much? And why do they keep trying to explain it away while blaming the right. Here's CNN's House Conservatives got Jennings schooling a lefty podcaster on this very subject.
Speaker 16: I don't think it is only the left. I mean you have literally seen people on both sides committing violence. I think the problem is not the left. I think it is the extremes on both sides of the party.
Speaker 9: Why do late night comedians go on TV and encourage or coddle or give lip service to this, uh, this vandalism of what went on with Tesla dealerships and so on. Why are there so many prominent people people.
Speaker 2: Why I don't listen.
Speaker 16: I don't I'm not for vandalism, but like.
Speaker 9: It's more than that they fire bomb these things like it's it's it's dangerous.
Speaker 16: But it's happening on both sides.
Speaker 9: One person on the right is committing violence today.
Speaker 16: Oh my gosh. Well, first of all, when you're in power, you don't tend to be the ones that are doing that.
Speaker 2: That's right. She's got nothing, and you know what, I've got nothing left either. That's it for this week, See you next week. Bye bye,