Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, March twenty three, twenty twenty six. The countdown is on for the giant clash between One Nation and the Federal Coalition. After the weekend's huge result for Paul En Hanson's party in the South Australian election, Labor Premier Peter malnawskis one easily, but One Nation got a whopping primary vote and now all eyes are on the federal by election for the seat of Farah on May three. Britain is backing Australia's hardline on copyright protections for artists, authors, musicians and journalists against AI companies who want to hoover up creative works without paying. That story's live now in The Australian's Media section, and so is Steve Jackson's Unmissible Weekly Onslaught of Yarns in the Diary are weekly media gossip column. This week, the star of television's most excruciating viral moment is taking on her network, and Kyle and Jackie O are teaming up in the most surprising way. Jacko's here in just a moment. Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor and JACKO. Today, you're writing about someone who is famous in New South Wales for being Channel nine Sydney weather presenter Ambas Sherlock. She's famous throughout the rest of the galaxy for being at the center of jacket Gate. What was jacket gate all about?
Speaker 2: Look, Claire, before we get into it, I'd just like to thank you for wearing something different to meet it. I'm disappointed in what I wear myself.
Speaker 1: I told you two hours ago. We know a'm by room.
Speaker 3: This is not I'm sorry, I've been flat out wardrobe.
Speaker 2: This is exactly what what Jackie Gate was about. Three people turned up to do precursor toil podcast, a little bit of a chinwag about the issues of the day on nine in their afternoon news bulletin, and unfortunately they all turned up wearing white jackets, and but Sherlock let one of the reporters. Then nine News reported julie'snook no uncertain terms that she should change not be wearing a white jacket. Julie took umbrage to this suggestion, and the withering stairs from both of them. I think even made people who were not in the industry. Blush. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Julie was doing a lot of like big eyes, like what's going on here? I don't understand, And Amber was doing a lot of like, honey, this is not my first radio you got it tapping a pen and she was furious, and the point that she made was kind of right. I actually thought Amber Sherlock was right in that moment. Her delivery might not have been good, but you know they did look like they were in a chemist warehouse infomercial.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and I'll tell you what, Like, she was right whether or not you have to be worn to wear different clothes. It's one of those things when you go out on a television shoot you got to tell the talent block colors, no patterns that will disrupt the camera, no piercings or visible tattoos. But when you're a reporter, you know those rules yourself, so you should turn up presentable and she should have also clocked it. But it's funny, within moments I was at nine at that time, working at sixty minutes, and within moments of that happening, it just went around the station like wildfire. Everyone's pulling it up on the system. Unfortunately, one person pulled it up on that system. It was too good to keep within nine, and next thing you know, it was out to every network, and then it was out to all and sundry and they became famous.
Speaker 1: Now now Amber Sherlock has left nine to spend a lot more time with her family, probably more than she wants to be spending. She was sacked. She was made redundant by nine earlier this year, shortly after she celebrated her fiftieth birthday, and surprisingly or maybe not, given her conduct in jacket Gate, she's not taking it quietly.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a few weaering glances going at the moment as well.
Speaker 1: On Nne's going, what, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: There, they're surprised. And the thing is, she's come out and she's spoken about she's saying that she thinks that her age was a key factor in it. They're already saying we are not ages. That is completely untrue. And I got to say I agree with him.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the network though, that you know in our working lives. Jacko So in the past couple of decades has been hiring women for their effability. Well, I'm not being shy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, that's the famous John Westercock quote. And I think anyone who worked with John Westercott and I spent two weeks of work experience under him, knows full worll that that is how he spoke. I actually did do the numbers last year, and it might have changed, but I added up the ages of the thirty most prominent women in commercial media across seven nine and ten and the thirty most prominent males on air at seven nine and ten, and the women came out marginally older on average than the blokes.
Speaker 1: There's a massive audience out there who wants to hear women's opinions and that's been the secret of the success of ten Looks three. This is the podcast hosted by Annabel Crab and Lee Sales, two of the smartest and dare I say over fifty women in Australian media. Well, hello, missy, Hi, I have been watching something.
Speaker 2: They started this podcast twelve years ago and back then it was like, this little site doesn't know what's a podcast? What are you talking about? How do I get one of those?
Speaker 3: Have?
Speaker 2: I got to download an app? And they've been along to the whole ride and they've seen it evolved. So when we see people like Jackie o Henderson and her agent Slash would be co presented Gemmer O'Neil trying to do the same thing on couches, cuddled up with pillows talking about what they're reading, they're all mimicking a very successful formula that Annabel Krab and Lee Sales sort of pioneered in that space in at least Australia.
Speaker 1: And they certainly did. And they bring huge smarts, They're very relatable, they're very warm, They genuinely are really.
Speaker 2: Good friends and funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the challenge though, which they're facing, as everyone in audio, I think is, is monetization. We're seeing a huge contraction in audio now where either podcast creators are creating a premium stream where you have to pay to subscribe for certain episodes, or you have to go and see them live to help support their podcast being free. That's certainly been the case with the world's most successful podcast, Chatters.
Speaker 3: Hello, if you are a regular listener of this podcast, we would so appreciate it if you would consider subscribing to us to help us meet the costs of production and social media and all the other things that go into putting it together.
Speaker 1: If you go to our web now, Annabella Lee are saying the same thing, although that's still not going to be enough. Yeah, what's the solution.
Speaker 2: Well, they're already doing the live shows, as you know. They're also have pre roll ads in all their programs that they're putting out more podcasts, they're doing one a week, and they're selling like everyone else merch and I'm still waiting to get my merch from the front. Hopefully that's coming soon.
Speaker 1: But thanks to an apron, I'm like, at you win you jumper.
Speaker 2: Actually I could deal with one as long as it's not a white jacket. But I don't know what the solution is, and telling ly, they don't know what it is. I mean, you obviously listen to a lot more podcasts than me, but it seems everyone's doing the same things. So by virtue, you know, where is the money to be made.
Speaker 1: I think audiences have to get used to the idea that if you like something and value it, just like television, you are now going to have to pay because the old fashioned model of advertising support that doesn't work in the age of giant tech companies like Google and Facebook, which can undercut any publisher. So it doesn't matter whether you're an independent podcast publisher or a giant news organization. You cannot compete with Google and Facebook in terms of ad revenue, so ads don't work as a source of funding. That means you need subscriber revenue. You need people to pay to be part of the club. A lot of Australia's most popular podcasters have already done this. They're also turning them into videos. I mean, that is why podcasters are going to YouTube, because it's much easier to monetize, and YouTube will do the monetization for you. So yeah, it's a shame because there is something beautiful about the audio only conversation. There's a level of warmth and depth that I think you can get from listening to too smart people like Annabella and Lee talk while you're walking the dog or doing the dishes or reading a boring report at work.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly that's what a lot of people are doing, because I had a look today, so for their audio podcasts, one hundred thousand listeners almost every episode, and they're chadding away for an hour and forty minutes, sometimes sometimes only thirty three minutes. I suppose it depends on what tickles their fancy that week. But when you have a look at their YouTube audience, obviously a lot of people are rusted onto the old format because they'll have two thousand views or five hundred views, and their subscription base is really quite modest, it's three and a half thousand subscribers.
Speaker 1: There's a real gender thing here. I think some of the men who started out in podcasting have transitioned almost wholly to video. So Joe Rogan, for example, is a YouTube play. That's where Carl Stefanovic is going. I think it's something about the difference between the audiences. Men want to watch their conversation, women want to listen to it. And you know, without being a sexist, I think it's partly because women are busy. Women are driving to pick up kids, they're cooking, they're cleaning. Even when they're having their downtime, they're doing something. They're multitasking, whereas I think men spend a bit more time sitting on the sofar watching.
Speaker 2: YouTube derek, absorbing more information, getting really delving into the weeds.
Speaker 1: I know that sometimes you will use YouTube as a search engine, won't you you're interested in an issue. Let's say it's you know the horme was straight, and you'll search for that on YouTube and you want to watch an explainer about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know everyone ten five years ago were saying, let's make minute long explainers, but I have Look, I don't want to minute long explainer. That's not enough. I want ten minutes. I don't want half an hour. I want ten minutes. And you're right, I want to watch it. I want to see the maps. I want to get my head around. And maybe that's just a way different people absorb information. I need those visual cues, and I really enjoy being able to see what people are saying and their body language. But I mean, when you listen to Chat ten looks three, is that you're just listening to it.
Speaker 1: I would rather just listen to it because I find shows like that a companion to my life rather than being something I want to sit down and watch. I'm too busy watching below deck Sailing. You're jack, I don't have time to for watching Chat ten looks three.
Speaker 2: Well, the difference, I suppose is because we're in journalism, big advocates of paying for people's journalism. I know I have subscriptions to half a dozen websites. Even the ones I could get for free through work I pay for. I make a point of paying for them because you want to support people at other mastheads. So probably for you, happy to pay, But do you reckon? You know a lot of people go, oh, now that you're charging two bucks, I can get a clone copy of this podcast somewhere else.
Speaker 1: I really think if people value a product, they will pay. But just like Netflix, all the streaming services, HBO, they don't make it optional. It's like, if you want this, you're going to have to pay, And really is not that much eight dollars a month really for the streaming platforms, something similar for most news products. I imagine Annavilla and Lee could very easily charge that, and they might not be getting one hundred thousand downloads for those episodes. Maybe they'll get twenty thousand. But if each of those people are giving them eight dollars a month, that's a lot better.
Speaker 2: Well I'm just doing a maths on that. That's eight hundred thousand a month. They won't be on the ABC very long at those rates.
Speaker 1: Coming up, I try to start another fight with JACKO about our favorite topic, Kyle and Jackie O. Now I love fighting with you about Cole and Jackie O JACKO, and I'm hoping we can have a fight today. What's the latest with our favorite breakfast radio presenters who are know more?
Speaker 2: Right, I can tell you this for free. It's happened when you would. Kyle has filed his statement of claim in the federal court against his former employer An. He wants his money. He wants what he was promised, he wants what he says he is owed, and he's not going to settle for a cent less.
Speaker 1: That's one hundred million dollars the balance of what he wants to be paid out.
Speaker 2: One hundred million minus fourteen months work. And he says he wants a whole kind kaboodle. He's not interested in a quick little Hey what about twenty million and we call it quits. He wants everything, and I kind of think for mine, he's probably entitled to it, because a deal is a deal.
Speaker 1: This is going to turn on whether or not he was able and willing to deliver on the services they were paying him for. He would say, I was absolutely willing. I was absolutely able, But you didn't let me talk to Jackie to resolve this situation, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says it's like a catch twenty two, given no chance to resolve the issues. Says as we've all been saying, which we argued about last time, is that he's been doing the same content for twenty years, and no one at any point has ever said, hey man, we've changed the script. That's no longer cool. This character he's been playing, that is the character he leans into on air. And I know everyone's sort of intimating he's a much warmer, charismatic, caring guy off air than he is the character he plays on the show. But he's saying, I've done that, I've done what you asked, You've promoted as radio gorn rogue, I attract all the vitriol, I soak it up, and now you've said, not cool anymore? What gives?
Speaker 1: He's always known too, And I think this whenever I read someone writing about what a misogynist Kyle is. Yeah. Sure, he's behaved like an absolute buffoon on air, which is what they were paying him to do and which is what the audience tuned in for. But he's also the one who insisted that Jackie get paid the same amount as him. I haven't seen many other men in media do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you listen to the show, a lot gets made of like, oh they did this crazy stunt and headlines about he said something stupid. The truth is they plan those things. They know, Hey, we're going to do this, and everyone's going to beat up on us, but it's going to be great because the rating survey and in radio it's still a survey. You fill in which shows, So you have this crazy stunt just as the survey goes and oh yeah, Kyle and Daki I did listen to so I know about that. So all these things are planned. They're not just being vile and careless and stupid just because you know he's an idiot. He's actually very intelligent. It's all planned, and it's what the whole show has been centered around and advertised on radio.
Speaker 1: Goes rogue And you're writing today that Jackie is going to stand back and wait to see what happens with Kyle's lawsuit before she foils her own. So actually, Kyle might be Australia's leading feminist here Jacko, he's paving the way for his female former co host to get her one hundred million dollars too.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what she does there. Because her contract also torn up, she's missing out on the better part of one hundred million dollars paid over ten years as well. The difference is Aarn is going, all right, Kyle, we're going to just tell everyone you're reckless and that serious misconduct, because they know that'll play to a large portion of the community who already hate him and made it their mind, even though they're not his listeners. But for Jackie, they're going, hey, stick with House. We've got a show for you. You can one hundred million and ten years. No, no new deal. We've torn that one up, but we've got a new deal for you, not quite as lucrative, but you're welcome back. And she's not. My sources are saying she's not engaging with that so far. She's going to wait and see, quite cleverly, how much does Kyle get before I decide what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: The bosses at a are in clearly thought they were geniuses for coming up with this idea of like, oh, I know, we could say that he hasn't fulfilled his contract and then we don't have to pay one hundred million dollars If this goes wrong for them. They are going to be paying one hundred million dollars plus legal costs, plus interest.
Speaker 2: Plus probably paying with their jobs, like this is a massive gamble for them. And there's a joke that goes, how do you make a small business investment make a large business investment in a media company? Right, So they know at this time they have to get rid of this contract. The new CEO's taking charge in January. Michael Stevenson, smart guy from my former sales boss there. He's coming in and goes, we've got to get rid of this. The whole market cap of AARN is only one hundred and one million dollars and we're paying these two guys like two hundred million. He's inherited this deal. He can't believe how bad it is. Unfortunately for him, both Kyle and Jackie O have signed this in good faith. And you know, if you make a deal, I'm sorry, it's very unfortunate that you're that you're stuck with this. But to at least what Kyle's saying, proactively plot to blow it up and call him unprofessional, which is what they've done by saying serious misconduct, He's just not going to copy it. Right, and I don't think he should.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe they could join Annabelle and Way on the couch and bringing you well up to chat ten look three.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, if it's one dollar per subscriber a month eight hundred thousand, I'll be signing up to see if I can help cut some of their stories.
Speaker 1: Jacko, thank you very much, Thank you for having me on. Steve Jackson edits The Media Diary in the Australian. It's live now at the Australian dot com dot au