Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, February twenty six. The Teal candidates are confident they'll hold and maybe even grow their numbers at the looming federal election, with polling commissioned by Climate two hundred, the organization that backs the Teals, showing it'll be hard for the Liberals to win back blue ribbon inner city seats they lost in twenty twenty two. That's an exclusive live now at the Australian dot com dot au. Please vote for the major parties. That's the plea from one of the nation's major oil producers, Beach Energy Chief executive Brett Woods says, even if you hate Labor or the Coalition, a minority government would be a disaster for the country. It's the scandal that has ever every lawyer in Australia talking an apparently fake email from a senior executive, smashing up colleagues reputations and disclosing salary and performance details. Class action law firms Slater and Gordon have called in the police and are now trying to calm a furious workforce. Today. How the so called ambulance chasers found themselves at the bottom of a cliff. Where to from here? The world is cold and bleak. In law firms Slater in Gordon's latest suite of ads, Unfortunately something's gone wrong institutions, businesses, hospitals, the system let ordinary people down. A slip at the supermarket, a fall at work, a medical mistake.
Speaker 2: The world can feel like a lonely place.
Speaker 1: Everything seems hopeless.
Speaker 2: Slater and Gordon can help you make a claim through your super.
Speaker 1: And then the sun comes out along with the Slater and Gordon app and some uplifting music. Are you really getting what's fair, not just what's off it? Talk to Slater and Gordon and we'll take it from here. In Slater and Gordon's own in house promo video, the firm proudly sets out its history from representing railway union workers in the nineteen thirties to revolutionizing the legal system in the nineteen nineties. More than just knowing the law, we've helped change it, providing better outcomes for asbestos and deadly silica dust workers and those employed in the growing gig economy. In nineteen ninety four, when a young future Prime Minister Julia Gillard worked there, Slater and Gordon introduced a revolutionary concept, no win, no fee. That's the idea behind those ads. Before this concept, you could only sue for personal injury or workers compo if you had enough money to pay a lawyer. Slater and Gordon's idea was if they didn't win, they wouldn't charge the client at all, and they raked in the cash because for many employers, whether they be small businesses, giant corporations, or government, it's much cheaper to settle a legal claim out of court rather than fight it, and the fees could be hefty, up to twenty five percent of a client's payout. Slater and Gordon took it a step further with class actions, where they'd go looking for plaintiffs to take action against wealthy corporations. They took on big tobacco companies, mining giants, federal and state governments, delivering life changing payouts for individuals like those who'd suffered asbestos related diseases at the hands of manufacturer James Hardy.
Speaker 2: Slater and Gordon have been referred to as ambulance chases, people who go after claims and chase those claims incredibly hard for their client.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley is The Australian's Legal affairs correspondent.
Speaker 2: But they would say that they're all about clients first, right, They're all about the little guy, those who have been wronged by their employer or by a large corporation. And they've had some huge wins when it comes to class actions in Australia, things like Manus Island. They're the firm that's going after Optus after their data breach, so they have had some huge wins and they've got quite a good reputation for chasing you know, big workplace or labor or class action claims.
Speaker 1: And we're here to talk about the h R nightmare engulfing Slater in Gordon.
Speaker 2: It is insanely GC.
Speaker 1: Last Friday morning, Slater and Gordon's staff. We're settling in for another day of chasing down bad bosses and standing up for the little guy, when an email popped into hundreds of inboxes.
Speaker 3: To be blunt, the situation at Slater and Gordon is a text bookcase of dysfunction.
Speaker 1: We've used a voice actor to read you the email. The email purported to be from Slater and Gordon's Chief people officer, that is the head of human Resources, Mari Ruiz mathieson handing over to the person who was taking over her job, and it seemed to be referring to chief executive Dina.
Speaker 3: To Tungi, Dina's primary focus is her own bottom line. She's determined to maximize her bonus and is laser focused on keeping salaries locked down. She openly admitted her grand plan is to cash out and retire with millions in a few years.
Speaker 1: The email accused the firm's owner's private equity fund allegro of ruining, its culture heads are rolling, and what remains is a skeletal crew barely keeping things together.
Speaker 3: The endgame a polished up shell to be sold off at the right price. Grim but predictable.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just a Tungi who copped it pasting. Senior figures at the firm were described as.
Speaker 3: Ruthlessly ambitious, lazy and unm motivated, senile and needs to retire. Morale is abysmal, money is hemorrhaging. Best of luck, you'll need it.
Speaker 2: My jaw hit the ground. It was the most shocking internal email I think I have ever read. And then, on top of that, after all of these criticisms, she then attaches or the author then attached a spreadsheet containing the salary, performance rating, and bonus information of nine hundred and six Slater and Gordon employees. Now that email was blind copied to a wide range of Slater and Gordon employees. So can you just imagine sitting at your desk at work, and all of a sudden you get this email from your colleague calling out every single person at the organization divulging this incredibly private information. Plus you can not only see your own salary in this spreadsheet, but the salary of the people sitting either side of you. So it's really really shaken this firm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine Maria action would be between complete glee that something so excruciating was happening in public, and then rage if my own salary was revealed and finding out what, you know, my hopeless colleague.
Speaker 2: Totally I would be going and I'd been knocking on my boss's door and saying, Hey, why is old mate being paid X? And I'm being paid why? I think it's time for a little bit of a pain negotiation, which is just the world of pain that Slater and Gordon finds themselves in. Now.
Speaker 1: Now, probably the least likely person to have actually sent this email is Mari Ruiz Mathison, right, she's denying it totally.
Speaker 2: So this email hit inboxes on Friday morning. By Friday afternoon, Slater and Gordon had issued a statement saying that it was a hoax and saying that somebody who was not Marie Ruiz Matheson had sent the email, and saying both the firm and miss Ruiz Matheson intended to report the matter to police because a serious breach had been conducted. So since then, Marie Ruiz Matheson has also come out with her own statement via her lawyers, strenuously denying that she sent it, saying that her and her family are deeply distressed, and saying that they're planning on taking legal action at some point. We don't know what that legal action looks like yet, but she is planning on taking legal action, and she has lawyered up. So she has said that it's absolutely not her. And that's what it makes sense, right, because somebody that senior to blow themselves up like that before leaving an organization, that's you done, that's your reputation absolutely in tatters. But it does lead to an incredibly interesting discussion point, which is, well, if it wasn't her, then who did send it? The email included incredibly high level information about all these different employees, about Dina Tutungi, the chief executive, and with all of this personal payroll information, so it must have been somebody who had access to all that information. On top of that, it included a lot of personal details about Mari Ruiz Matheson, including you know, the names of her dogs. The email was signed off, I'm going to spend time with my ups, Ruby and Pearl, things like that, which is incredibly sinister when you think about it. So it's left a big mystery over this entire saga, which you know, as you can imagine, the rumor Millets later in Gordon is just churning out all kinds of theories about who sent this email.
Speaker 1: So the spreadsheet that was attached with performance ratings and income level salary packages, do we know if that information was accurate?
Speaker 2: Slater and Gordon have said that a lot of the information included in this email was quite a work of fiction.
Speaker 1: They would say that.
Speaker 2: They would say that, and we know that the spreadsheet included salary information for people who haven't worked at the firm for a long time. So while Slater and Gordon can say that that salary information is disputed and is not accurate, it might just mean that it's outdated. But they definitely say that it's not one hundred percent accurate. But we know that Slater and Gordon employees have looked at the information and have said, no, that's my salary, So it's got to be accurate to some extent.
Speaker 1: Coming up house later in Gordon is trying to pacify the troops. So for employees of Slater in Gordon, I'm sure some of whom speak to you, what do they do now?
Speaker 2: Gosh? I think it depends on who you talk to. Slater and Gordon is in absolute crisis mode at the moment. They've set up an HR process specifically for pay negotiations. So anybody who feels like they're not earning enough because they've seen what their colleagues are earning, there's a special HR process that is coming shortly. They're holding emergency staff meetings. As we know, Slater and Gordon is incredibly focused on their reputation and so they've been very quick to say that no client data has been breached as part of this so look, it's just crisis mode at the moment, and if you're an employee it's later in Gordon, you're probably feeling incredibly distressed, incredibly angry, but also probably you know, there's a lot of chatter going on and engaging in that too.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ellie, Now famously journalists don't get paid very much, but what was your take on seeing those salary numbers? What sort of money we're talking about?
Speaker 2: So, Dina Tutungi, according to this disputed spreadsheet, is earning six hundred and ninety thousand dollars, which is a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: I can promise you I'm not earning anywhere near six hundred and ninety thousand dollars. But when it comes to the CEO of quite a large law firm, it's.
Speaker 1: Probably not that much money.
Speaker 2: But it ranged from that down to the lowest paid was a legal assistant on twenty two thousand dollars. Now that's surely hopefully somebody who's just you know, working one day a week or something like that. But that was broadly the range of salaries that was in there. The rest of it sort of checked out, you know, lawyers on one hundred and fifty thousand dollars that sort of stuff, some ranging up to the four hundred thousand dollar mark.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what's later in Gordon's reputation within the legal sector as a place to work, so.
Speaker 2: Broadly, it's been known as a place that you want to work if you want to work in the class action sector. That being said, though, they have been embroiled in a few scandals over the past year or so. At one point it hit the media that there was a huge underpayment scandal that they were underpaying employees over a period of twelve years. I think the money that at totaled too was three hundred thousand dollars in underpayments. As a result of that scandal, the former head of HR has also sued the company in the federal court, which is still an ongoing legal battle that's between Alicia Gleeson and Slater in Gordon. So they do appear to be the seeds of scandal that are coming out of Slater in Gordon. And then all of a sudden, this email leak comes through and now it's a firm in crisis.
Speaker 1: This is a nightmare for any boss to deal with. Dinner to Tonguey's probably processing the quite stark criticism of her in this email from someone who we don't know. But some personal details about her were also revealed in the email.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, that email included a link to her home, this beautiful home that she owns with her husband and lives in with her kids, about dinners that she hosted out at home incredibly snarkily, you know, referred to them as being quite boring. But yeah, this is a huge crisis for dinners Tutungi, not just on a professional level but a personal.
Speaker 1: Level as well.
Speaker 2: It was heavily, heavily critical of her and you can't even imagine what she's going through at the moment.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley is the Australians of the Legal Affairs correspondent. Speaking of legal affairs, the Antoinette Latoufe versus the ABC case is back in the Federal Court on Thursday. You'll be able to follow it live by joining US subscribers at the Australian dot com dot au