Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This interview has been conducted in the Epping Police Station, Victoria at two minutes to four to agree with the time I might watch yes, okay PM on Sunday, the eighteenth day of December twenty eleven. Could you tell me what you can remember from nineteen ninety three relection to your father's disappearance, just.
Speaker 3: So he came down to see me in hospital and for the last time I was sorry.
Speaker 4: In a Melbourne police station, two detectives sit across from Leanne Phillips, one of Les Ball's daughters.
Speaker 2: Okay, and when.
Speaker 3: Was that member? I think was the Wednesday night? Wednesday. It's all pretty figue, Okay.
Speaker 2: We do understand it was eighteen years ago and we're just asking for the truth from what you can remember, and we don't want you to make anything.
Speaker 4: Up in case you missed it. In that police recorded audio that was later handed to the coroner, the Wednesday night Leanne is being questioned about is the twenty first of April nineteen ninety three, the night Leanne claims her father Les visited her in a Brisbane hospital. Leanne told police that around eight thirty pm she was on a public phone in the lobby of the seventh floor of the Princess Alexandra Hospital. She was trying to call home on the public payphone when Les suddenly emerged from the lifts. He'd apparently come straight from the train station after making the more than twenty four hour journey from Townsville. They sat down on some chairs in the waiting area and had a brief chat, mainly about how his ex wife, Margaret, who was staying at the Phillips house, was driving him crazy. He only stayed for around thirty minutes and told Leanne he was going to visit Lachelle, his youngest daughter and Leanne's half sister, on the Sunshine Coast.
Speaker 5: How was he intending to give there? Do what?
Speaker 4: Only the police already know. The signature on Les's train ticket was forged.
Speaker 3: Why would the ticket be forged though if he was, Oh, I can't answer can incident.
Speaker 2: Someone wanted to make it look like he traveled to Brisbane.
Speaker 3: I don't know why anybody would want to do that.
Speaker 4: They know that Les never boarded the train.
Speaker 2: Has someone told you to say he came to visit in the hospital, nobody has.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: I saw my part friend.
Speaker 2: Hospital because we believe he didn't attend the hospital.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry he did.
Speaker 4: This isn't the first time Leanne has been questioned about the night she says her dad visited her in hospital, and it won't be the last. In fact, this visit has been heavily scrutinized over the years by police and two separate coroners, decades apart, because all other evidence suggests that visit never happened and that Leanne was mistaken. I'm Joe Townsend.
Speaker 1: And I'm Calm Deness. We're trying to figure out who killed Les Baul. This is perfect alibi.
Speaker 6: Change.
Speaker 4: The most important task for police in a homicide inquiry is establishing when the victim was last seen alive. For that reason, Detective Noll Powers focused on the supposed hospital visit.
Speaker 7: Lezard apparently come down to visit her, and she hadn't seen or heard of him since then.
Speaker 4: Even putting aside the forgery and Les not boarding the train, Well.
Speaker 3: He didn't make dawn down to Brisbane, but don't if he didn't go on the train and then so must have brought him down.
Speaker 4: There were issues with Leanne's story. Leanne said lez had come straight from the train, but the train he was booked on arrived in Brisbane at three point fifty pm, nearly five hours before he was supposed to have visited her. Leanne also told police that she and lez sat on chairs in a public waiting area outside the lifts on Level seven. Police checked there were no chairs in that area.
Speaker 7: It just didn't seem to add up. We spoke to a lady who was occupying the room with Leanne and she said Leanne did not receive any visitors in hospital on that day.
Speaker 4: Then there was the big one. Why would Lesbie and Brisbane visiting Leanne at all when he should have been in Cardwell finalizing the purchase of his home.
Speaker 2: He put a seven thousand dollar cash deposit. Now he risked losing that money.
Speaker 3: I can't answer your question.
Speaker 7: In some instances, In the majority of instances, people will go all right, well, they'll modify this story or change it, or just simply go all right, well it didn't happen, and this is really what happened. So when you're presented with a certain number of facts that disprove what you're saying, then either you'll get a new version or the person will admit to either being wrong or manufacturing that version. But as instance, no, he visited me in hospital that was at full stop.
Speaker 4: We don't have the tapes of Nol's interview with Leanne from nineteen ninety three, but when you hear Detectives interviewing Leanne in twenty eleven, you can see what he means. She's sticking to her version of events.
Speaker 2: So this is a copy of the trained detail report. And this is why we know your father did not have to train.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they said that's Peper didn't see it in the seat that he sound like I did.
Speaker 2: He far to show Yeah, So do you want me to show you explain.
Speaker 3: That I member of there?
Speaker 1: Have you? Okay?
Speaker 3: So for the purpose that has said anywhere, I mean, well.
Speaker 2: We don't think so in the fact that Towns will to Brisbane travel football far to show fts, it's marked as well, and that I'm going to show you. These are their handwriting from your father. That's a handwriting from your father, and that's the forgery.
Speaker 8: That's what's on the ticket.
Speaker 3: I can't I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I can't answer, cannot explain why.
Speaker 5: It's a forgery.
Speaker 4: Even when confronted with the fact that Les's ticket was forged and he never boarded the train to Brisbane. Leanne's story never wavered. She even offered what she said was physical proof that Les had visited her in hospital a losing lotto ticket. It had been purchased in Townsville using Les's card on Tuesday, the twentieth of April. According to Leanne, Les gave it to her the next evening when he visited her in hospital.
Speaker 2: So can you remember your father giving this to it?
Speaker 3: I remember fine on the side of the draw, and I'm pretty sure that he could put it there.
Speaker 2: You're pretty sure he put it there?
Speaker 3: I think so, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 7: Pretty sure, Thanky. It's one of those things that don't really stack up. And suppose that your curiosity is piqued even more because you just think, well, that is quite unusual.
Speaker 1: It didn't stack up because we know police believe Les never made it to hospital to visit Leanne. If that's right, there's no way he could have given her the lotto ticket. Someone used Les's pension card to collect his train ticket and forge his signature. Maybe that same person used Less's card to buy this lotto ticket.
Speaker 7: So you know, again, there's one version that doesn't add up.
Speaker 4: So cal this is the big question mark in this case. Who's right here, the police or Lianne, Because after investigating it, police are certain Les didn't make that trip to Brisbane, but Leanne is sure she saw Lez in hospital.
Speaker 1: Well, a coroner looked into this nearly thirty years after Les went missing, and we're going to cover that in detail in a later episode. But the corona found that Leanne had a genuinely held but mistaken belief that her father visited her hospital.
Speaker 4: So, in other words, the coroner's saying, I believe you, you're not lying, but it didn't happen exactly.
Speaker 1: What about the lotto ticket then, Well, the coroner basically found that Leanne had nothing to do with it. There was no evidence to suggest she has.
Speaker 4: So the coroner determined that Les never visited her in hospital, he never handed her the lotto ticket which Leanne presented to police, but also that Leanne is a credible witness and genuinely believes she's telling the truth. So the short story is that Wednesday visit at the hospital didn't happen, couldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: Having proven that Les never made it to Brisbane, police were working off a theory that the reason he missed his house settlement was because by Monday, the nineteenth of April, he was dead.
Speaker 7: I've got no doubt that before the nineteenth, and even before the twentieth, he'd met his demise. And I'll say that now you know, there's no doubt about it that Lesbil had been killed prior to that.
Speaker 1: Day, and so police focused on Sunday, the eighteenth of April, the last day Les was seen alive.
Speaker 6: Now remember Les was.
Speaker 1: Living in the garage of the Phillips home. There was David Phillips in the house. That's his son in law, the ex cop. Before moving to Queensland, he served ten years as a police officer in Victoria, five years as a detective and he was.
Speaker 6: A good detective too.
Speaker 1: He worked on the major crime and Armed robbery squads and received multiple commendations. Also living there was Margaret Phillips, Les's first ex wife, and David and Leanne's four kids.
Speaker 4: David says he left the house on Sunday, the eighteenth of April with his mother in law, Margaret and all of David and Leanne's kids and when they returned at two pm that day, Les wasn't home, David noticed Les's car and trailer were gone, all of his belongings were gone, and the fridge had been cleared out. Here's what David told police about that day in a twenty eleven interview. We've got our hands on a copy of that interview that was tabled at the inquest, and this is the first time that his side of the story has been publicly aired. Listen carefully because audio recordings back then were terrible.
Speaker 1: David, can you start your fallen correct name David Jeremy Phillips, and your data booths before six fifty things? And where were you born?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: In the video, the camera is focused on David's profile. He's wearing a light blue polo. Still has a full head of hair, but it's gone white, and he's wearing glasses.
Speaker 5: Do what we intend to question you about today? It's the disappearance to suspect murder Upper Towns of ninety ninety three.
Speaker 4: The detectives tell David he's being asked about the disappearance and suspected murder of Les, and David's answers are curt and a little bit sarcastic, which didn't expect.
Speaker 6: You about just blom all right, you've just explained them.
Speaker 4: The police remind David of his rights.
Speaker 1: Basically, you have the right answer if you say I can you understand that's the one.
Speaker 4: As a former coop himself, this routine should be very familiar to David.
Speaker 1: Were building supersplas and hungry Jerks.
Speaker 6: When you're so weird, he you've go the kings and mo, yeah, the go.
Speaker 7: You remember seeing lest All.
Speaker 4: Then, in case you missed that, David says, the family were out visiting display homes. This was a regular outing for the family. Lez had put a deposit on a block of land and the Phillips were planning on building a family home on it. They stopped at Hungry Jackson. When they returned home, Les was gone. Inside the house, David and his mother in law, Margaret found a note from Les saying a family friend called Tony Hoyer had called by, although that note was never handed into police, so police spoke to Tony. He told detectives he'd called around to the Phillips house in the afternoon with a bag of prawns. He worked in the seafood industry and would often join the Phillips for dinner. According to Tony, when he got to the Phillips household, Les was the only one there, putting a suitcase into the boot of his car. Lez's bright blue homemade trailer was there and it appeared as if it was about to be hitched to the car.
Speaker 7: Just said he was packing stuff under the boot and he told him he was on his way down to Brisbane to go and see Leanne.
Speaker 4: Tony asked if he could go inside to put the prawns in the fridge, but Les said no, he'd already locked up the house.
Speaker 7: It Morls gave us a start point. You develop a timeline and these investigations and a certain timeline evidence indicates certain things on certain dates and it gives us a true picture of what really happened from there.
Speaker 1: So police now have another last possible sighting of Les my family friend Tony Hoyer on Sunday, the eighteenth of April. On one hand, Tony's account lines up with Leanne's story of Les catching a train to Brisbane to visit her, except Tony said Les was leaving right then on the Sunday, so the timeline's out of whack. Leanne told police Lez visited her on a Wednesday and the train ticket was booked for Tuesday, So why would Leslie packing up and heading out to the train on the Sunday? And also, here's the kicker. The train from Townsville to Brisbane, it didn't run on Sundays back then. To be fair to Tony, he's given several statements over the years and has made it clear that he can't remember exactly what day he saw Lez, and there's no evidence that he had anything to do with Lez's disappearance. But Lesz's belongings were gone from the Phillips house. For police, the question remained, why would les pack all of his possessions in his car and trailer then leave the car at the train station. David told the police that he knew Less's car was at the train station and left a note on the windscreen. When police found the car, they saw the note and it read les Margaret has gone home. Could you please ring or call in David? But where was that trailer?
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Lez's lawyer and real estate agent were both frantically calling the house looking for Lez.
Speaker 7: From what they told us, there was sort of someone there. The lady who answered the phone and we've got no idea who it was was sort of appeared to be a little bit reluctant or didn't particularly want to pass any information on.
Speaker 4: The real estate agent kept calling and eventually got through to Leanne, who was home from hospital by then. She tried to explain the urgency of the situation, but Leanne kept repeating that she didn't know where her father was. Eventually, Leanne told the real estate agent not to call again, that they were a nuisance caller.
Speaker 7: They just seemed to be an overall Oh look, he's gone away, we don't know where he is, and that's it.
Speaker 4: Even if Les had a habit of just going bush. Les's trayler had gone missing, all of his possessions were gone, and his lawyer and real estate agent were both frantically calling because Les hadn't shown up to collect the keys to his new home and his car was sitting at Townsville train station out in the open. Why didn't David the former police officer, report him missing. In July nineteen ninety three, nearly two months after Les vanished, the police got a break. They'd circulated images of Les's trailer in the media, hoping locals would recognize it. The trailer was one of a kind, pretty distinctive looking. It was hand built and bright blue.
Speaker 7: We received a phone call from a gentleman who I suppose part time was. His interest was to go to a bush area just down the outskirts of towns Well. There was notorious for just people just dumping I won't say rubbish, but just car bodies, bits of metal and things like that. So he'd go and scraunge, pull metal out and I either sell it to scrap metal merchants or just on sell it. So he got into contact with us and told us that he'd found remnants of a trailer.
Speaker 4: The trailer had been burned and only its metal parts the wheel, axle and frame remained. Amongst the ashes, there was some cutlery, glass fragments, and melted tools. The trailer had been full when it was set alight. The scrap metal collector took the trailer's axle, leaving the metal frame behind. When he came back to collect the frame a week later, it was gone. He also noticed that the ashes and debris from the fire had been raked up. When he returned again another week later, he saw the area had been burned. A second time. He saw something else too.
Speaker 7: He saw someone probably about one hundred and fifty meters just standing leaning against a car. Wasn't able to elaborate what sort of car it was, who it was give us any description, but he said this person stood and watched him for at least fifteen to twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Another local had also stumbled upon the trailer. He also returned to the scene a week later and noticed that the fire and debris had been cleared up. He noticed two people, a guy in his thirties and another man he couldn't describe, near the burned out trailer. When Noel arrived on the scene, it was immediately obvious whoever had set the trailer alight had tried to cover their tracks.
Speaker 7: And in fact, later on, when we went back and did a search with the sees, we found separate piles of the debris. Someone had gathered it all up and spread it out in separate piles around the are if one was about one hundred and fifty meters away from where the trailer was found, so there'd been a deliberate attempt to hide the remnants of the fire.
Speaker 4: In other words, someone had made at least two attempts to completely destroy the trailer, and even though there wasn't much of it left. Police were pretty sure it belonged to Les.
Speaker 7: Tayler had a specific stud pattern on the wheels that was quite unusual. So comparison of that with the photo that we had were able to reasonably confident that that was Leeds's trailer.
Speaker 4: Police needed to do two things, first identify whether Les's body was amongst the ashes, and second to make absolutely sure that this really was Les's trailer. They sifted through the crime scene, collecting and logging what they found amongst the ash, and asked et Issen Lez's ex wife if she could identify anything that belonged to Les.
Speaker 8: So I flew up to Townsville that I was asked to go, and I flew up to Townsville, at my own expense, up to the police there and they took me to the police station. And after that I was given bags and bags and bags of stuff that I had to go through with my fingers and to see if I could recognize anything. Well. I recognized quite a few things that probably only I would have known because we'd been married all those years.
Speaker 4: Sure enough, amongst those tiny fragments, it recognized some old china that belonged to Lez.
Speaker 8: I remember finding little scraps of just tiny bitch inch by an inch or something that I knew a part of a dinner set that was ours that I'd given him, you know, having to go through with my fingers to pick out any tiny little bit of thing that I knew was lesses. That was emotionally one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life, because I'm going through ashes and all the time I didn't know whether his body had been burnt there. It was a horrible time for me, dreadful, but I didn't want Lazelda have to do it. I went through and did it.
Speaker 4: With confirmation that the burned out trailer was les Balls, police were now certain they were dealing with a homicide, the same conclusion Officer Ian Nanness had reached after just two days. But until then, Lachelle had been holding out hope that her dad was still alive. When you heard the news of the burnt out trailer and finding that trailer in July that year, is that when you realized one hundred percent that your dad had been murdered.
Speaker 9: I still had hope that he was still in a homeless shoulder Like well, I'd look at homeless people on the street and think, oh my god. I double checked to see if it was my dad or anything, even though it wasn't. It was just horrendous. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always had hope, but I sort of knew. Yeah. Police analyzed the ashes Les wasn't burned, along with his trailer, and the sees Or State Emergency Service helped search the area too. There was no sign of Lez, they had no idea where he could be. It seemed to detective null Powers that whoever had murdered Les had created an elaborate smoke screen to buy themselves time. They'd booked a ticket to Dolby via Brisbane in Les's name to make it appear as if he was alive while they worked to completely destroy his trailer.
Speaker 7: Someone had gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal the evidence, to create a version that would distract us, that would put us on the wrong path.
Speaker 1: Finding the trailer was a lucky break for police, especially because they missed other clues. The first inquest heard evidence from the scrap metal collector that he gave the police the number plates of someone who'd apparently seen the trailer before it was set a light, but police lost the details of this vital witness. By the time the scrap metal collector was on the witness stand, he couldn't remember the plate number. And a woman who cleaned the Phillips house twice a week told police she saw a trailer that looked like Lez's full of furniture at the building site where David was rumored to have dumped Lezz's body, but police didn't take a statement from the house cleaner. By this point, police were paying close attention to David and Leanne.
Speaker 7: No one else came into that realm, so those two, in my opinion, had a case to answer.
Speaker 4: Although police had questions for Leanne, she wasn't their main focus. She was in hospital when Les disappeared. She couldn't have had anything to do with his murder, but they were zeroing in on her husband, David. He was at home when disappeared. He knew Les's car was sitting abandoned at Townsville train station. He should have been the first person to report Les missing. Instead, he was passive and evasive.
Speaker 7: If you didn't ask the question, he wouldn't provide any information at all. And it was you know you used that using expressions like pulling bloody out of a stone.
Speaker 4: But police had no physical clues and no body. They needed evidence, and so they conducted a forensic search of the Phillips home, paying close attention to the garage.
Speaker 7: David was fairly nonplassed by the whole scene. If the police are at your house executing a search warrant, of course you'd be concerned. You know, the normal person and the normal conditions would be didn't seem to worry.
Speaker 4: One possible reason why David was so relaxed was he knew exactly how murder investigation play out. He'd been a detective on the Major Crime Squad.
Speaker 7: I think he knew what we were potentially doing. And you know, part of the investigative strategy, we're able to obtain listening devices for the houses as well too.
Speaker 4: By listening devices NOL means the house was bugged. Police obtained approval to secretly into the Phillips home and install covert microphones. One was shoved between the couch cushions, hoping it would pick up something incriminating said by David. Staff were monitoring the feed on a twenty four hour roster.
Speaker 7: The TV was on all the time, so there was a constant noise in the background where you didn't get to hear too much at all, and that would indicate David was aware of the methodology and simply chose to do and simply used the message to distract us from it.
Speaker 4: At this point, David had been out of the force for about seven years and was working as a laborer on a Townsville shopping center development.
Speaker 7: David was subject to a bit of we wouldn't say bullying, but you know, there were people he worked with were giving him a little bit of stick about you know, is he buried? Where is he buried?
Speaker 4: In fact, a rumor was going around the building site that David had buried Less's body beneath a concrete manhole in the development's car park.
Speaker 1: About a year into our investigation, me and Joe decided to head to Townsville. It's an industrial city, a big, army town with about two hundred thousand people.
Speaker 6: It's sunny all year round, sticky and humid.
Speaker 1: We've been looking at les Ball's case for long enough that we needed to see some of the places ourselves. Our first stop was on the outskirts of town, where Les's trailer was discovered. Okay, so we're just pulling into Drugy Street. Wow, you heard it. We're pulling right into Jerky Street. So this is where Les's burnt out trailer was found, and the way Nol described it, this was a well known dumping area in Townsville. If you wanted to get rid of an old car or get rid of a trailer, this is the place dump property.
Speaker 4: It's exactly this sort of place, isn't it. I can totally see why whoever dumped Les's trailer thought this was the perfect place to get away with it.
Speaker 1: And you know, I would have said a body too, except that we know the sees and police they did really thoroughly search this area.
Speaker 4: There's no reason why Lez's remains. Less's body could have been buried here. We know that it wasn't found with the remains of the burnt out trailer. We know it definitely wasn't there because that was so carefully combed over by forensics and Les's remains were definitely not found.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about this.
Speaker 1: Let's assume that it was David Phillips. Okay, So if you're David Phillips, the critical thing is they never find the body, and that's one of the reasons why David has been a person of interest to suspect for so long but has never been arrested or charged with anything Because there is.
Speaker 6: No physical evidence.
Speaker 1: All we have are a series of inconsistencies and his suspicious behavior in not reporting Les missing and never seeming too concerned about Les missing.
Speaker 6: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Unlikely then that he would have buried Les there, because remember he's a former detective. He would know that if they did find the trailer, they'd also be looking for a body in that location.
Speaker 6: So I don't reckon Less buried there.
Speaker 1: We drive up a highway and back into suburban Townsville before finding our way to the Willows, a sprawling, multi level shopping center where thirty years ago David was rumored by his colleagues to have dumped Les's body.
Speaker 6: I'm imagining this place in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: It would have been a really big building site, a lot of earth moving equipment busy, a lot of yellow builders, soil busy, lots of point of access as well, absolutely easy to slip into, potentially.
Speaker 4: No CCTV at night exactly.
Speaker 1: And again, just to go back to this rumor, it's that Les was buried under a manhole under some concrete in the car park that was under construction. As soon as that concrete was poured, you'd have a pretty good it'd be a pretty good bet that no one would ever say what was under there, because why would they.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know what a forensics person would do here. I didn't expect this huge, sprawling car park with all different additions over time, only one multi story section which is underground. And this feeling that I understand now that Noel would have been confronted with, this feeling of helplessness of if you are going to look for a body in concrete here, where on earth do you start? For precisely that reason, the rumor remained just that a rumor.
Speaker 7: From my understanding, was a fairly decent sized slab. So in order to have to dig the slab up or break the slab up and explore, you'd need something a lot more than just unconfirmed rumor from an unknown witness.
Speaker 4: The forensic search on the Phillips home turned up nothing, nor did the listening devices. The only physical clue police found was a fingerprint on Les's rear view mirror. It didn't belong to Les, but it wasn't a match for David Phillips either. Did you, Noel, ever get to a point where you felt like you were pretty close to making an arrest.
Speaker 7: No, Unfortunately we never got to that point. There were just it's one of those ones. And I'm fairly confident in saying that in some instances, particularly in unsolved cases, that the offender is known but there's just not enough evidence to put it to court.
Speaker 1: The biggest missing piece was Les. Police was sure he was dead, but without a body, they weren't one hundred percent certain that they were dealing with a homicide. At the end of May nineteen ninety four, Noel handed his report to the coroner. He'd concluded that Les had met his death at the hands of a person or person's unknown, but that's pretty much what police thought from day one. The only hope of getting closer to finding out what happened to Les and who was responsible lay with a coronial inquest open later that year.
Speaker 9: I was distraught, like so upset.
Speaker 4: I was young.
Speaker 9: My mum explained it all to me, but I didn't really understand what a coroner's inquest was.
Speaker 4: A coronial inquest operates a bit like a court there's a magistrate presiding, witnesses give evidence. Its purpose is fact finding, though to probe the circumstances surrounding someone's disappearance or death. A coroner can direct the police to investigate or refer matters for prosecution. The coroner doesn't say guilty or innocent, They just decide if the case should be taken to the courts. The inquest was held in Townsville and Brisbane. Les's real estate agent and solicitor were questioned. Noel was questioned about his investigation, so were employees from Townsville train station and Tony Hoyer. What an absolutely horrible experience for a young adult like Lille, she's not yet twenty listening to all these details of her dad disappearing maybe he was murdered. It must have been the most awful experience.
Speaker 6: Truly is unimaginable.
Speaker 1: They're going over in great detail about what is the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone, and is certainly the worst thing that's ever happened to Lachelle in her life. And yet as awful as it is, she must have been really hoping for an outcome here because this was her opportunity to find out what happened to her dad. After hearing three days of evidence, the coroner handed down his findings in nineteen ninety five. Police was still sure David was guilty, but the coroner didn't agree. In fact, he wasn't sure that Les was even dead. The coroner found that some person or person's deliberately tried to convey the impression, and that Les traveled to Brisbane, and that there were strong indications to suspect that Les was the victim of foul play. But in the end he delivered an open finding, and that was because of David's evidence. The coroner said, had it not been for his evidence of Les's tendency to go missing for periods of time, he would quote have no hesitation in finding the cause of the missing person's disappearance was foul play.
Speaker 8: He is et I thought that they haven't got all the answers here, and I just we left that court feeling well, that was a waste of time.
Speaker 1: The coroner delivering and open finding is critically important.
Speaker 6: Had he ruled that Les was the victim.
Speaker 1: Of foul play, he could have ordered the police to keep investigating. Instead, the coroner was persuaded that Les had a tendency to go missing. According to David, he'd done it in March nineteen ninety three in very similar circumstances. Here's what David told police in twenty eleven.
Speaker 5: He vanishes and he's missing. There's a reason for him. Wait, she's gone before and before he told Leo.
Speaker 4: So, according to David, not only had Les disappeared for three weeks without saying a word, but when they tried to find him, Les told Leanne off and he wouldn't tell her where he'd been other than just up north.
Speaker 1: Unusually for David, this story was very specific. He said it happened in March nineteen ninety three and that Les was away for three weeks.
Speaker 6: But David's statement didn't match Leanne's.
Speaker 1: He said Les disappeared when Leanne was in hospital, but according to Leanne, Les waited until she was discharged home and feeling better before leaving. She said in a police it was when I came home and Dad knew I was okay.
Speaker 6: He went away.
Speaker 1: What's more, Leann's statement makes it clear that Les told them he was going away before he left.
Speaker 4: So we tried to find the evidence of this earlier disappearance that David was talking about.
Speaker 1: We looked at Les's bank statements, atm records, the Phillips phone records covering the time period Les apparently vanished for three weeks. We combed through all of the police statements and in fact Les wasn't away for three weeks at all. He was only away for six days.
Speaker 4: So David was lying. It wasn't when Leanne was in hospital. It wasn't for three weeks. And Les told Leanne he was going on a trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and David said they had no idea where he'd been when he got back.
Speaker 6: But guess what Les was.
Speaker 1: Doing on that trip away buying a house. That's right, buying the house in Cardwell. By making it seem as if Les would disappear all the time and then turn up alive and work, David created a credible excuse for his lack of action when Les vanished and painted himself as the son in law of an elderly missing man rather than a suspect in his murder. But David wouldn't hold off that suspicion forever. Next time, on Perfect Alibi, we look into David's lies.
Speaker 5: He had no.
Speaker 1: Regard for the truth.
Speaker 3: His liar compulsive liar storyteller, and he's only making up these things to.
Speaker 6: Retains his reputation.
Speaker 4: And by following the money, we uncover the strangest murder we've ever investigated.
Speaker 2: Nothing out up, nothing had any sense I believe in what was financial.
Speaker 4: Because looking at it, there doesn't seem or appear to be any other reason. If you've got more information on this case, you can contact us at les Bawl Podcast at ProtonMail dot com. That's L. E. S B A double L podcast at ProtonMail dot com